PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Summer Of Change Will Test Buford

duncan228
05-31-2008, 11:58 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA060108.harveybuford.en.4ba9671b.html

Buck Harvey: Summer of change will test Buford
Buck Harvey

A year ago the national media came to San Antonio for the Finals. At various times, many of them surrounded R.C. Buford with questions.

How did the Spurs do it? While larger markets spent more money and lost more games — while the Celtics and Lakers seemed stuck in mediocrity — how did the Spurs keep such a smart payroll and smarter locker room?

The Spurs’ general manager cracked a few jokes. Some were aimed at the media, some at himself. It was hard to explain, without bragging, that he had beaten his peers and found two sensational, franchise-changing players low in the draft.

But the last of those two draft bonanzas was seven years ago. No one drafted since is on the roster except for Ian Mahinmi, who played a total of 22 minutes this season. Now Buford’s international strategy is showing holes, and the Spurs face a telling time.

Buford faces a telling time.

It’s not all up to him. Gregg Popovich and his assistants influence the roster as much as any coaching staff does.

It’s also not an end-of-the-world scenario. The Spurs will be competitive next season no matter. Tim Duncan and the two draft miracles, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker, will be similar to what they were this past season.

But the league is changing. The return of Yao Ming, Elton Brand, Greg Oden and Andrew Bynum will cement that for their teams. New Orleans will likely take another step. And Dallas and Phoenix, even with issues, aren’t going away.

To counter, the Spurs need help. They need, specifically, a smart, young, athletic swingman who can score, rebound in a small lineup, stretch the defense with 3-point range and play Popovich’s defense.

This is where Buford would crack a few more jokes.

He thought he had found something with last year’s first-round draft pick, Tiago Splitter. But stories suggest he will stay in Spain for another two years.

The Spurs could use Splitter’s 7-foot size and youth, and not having him takes another bite out of the Spurs’ longtime philosophy. Ginobili developed in Europe as a Spurs draftee, and this was seen then as cutting edge. But since then the Spurs have used a half-dozen picks on similar international prospects, and not one has produced anything for them yet.

Some of it is bad luck, as it was with Splitter. With the recent influx of Russian money raising salaries in Europe, and with the rise of the Euro, Splitter has about four million reasons to stay.

But that doesn’t change this: The Spurs traded Luis Scola, in part, because they saw the taller Splitter as a better complement to Duncan.

Still, the frontline was not the Spurs’ weakness this year, and it won’t be without Splitter. They instead need a fourth scorer, someone who makes the regular season easier for everyone.

That’s where Buford comes in. Can he find players, as a Web site said last week, with his old “draft-night magic?”

Buford never said he was smarter than everyone else. He always said the Spurs had been blessed. Parker had to fall to them past franchises that should have known better. As Buford said, if he knew what Ginobili would become, he would have drafted him higher.

Still, Buford knew the world, and he gambled on this knowledge, and this is what launched the Spurs to three more titles. One of the slights of this era is that Buford was never the executive of the year for this.

With three stars in place, the Spurs merely had to find bargain veterans who fit in Popovich’s system. And if Ginobili had been healthy, who knows? Maybe the national media would be coming to San Antonio this month to again ask Buford how he did it.

He instead is back at his job with the usual tools. All he’s got to work with is a low first-round pick and enough money for a mid-level player.

Buford also has something new, however, and that’s urgency. After all, can the Spurs win another championship before Duncan retires without finding someone else who is special?

timvp
06-01-2008, 12:04 AM
:lol Buck Harvey with the SpursTalk remix.

T Park
06-01-2008, 12:05 AM
They need, specifically, a smart, young, athletic swingman who can score, rebound in a small lineup, stretch the defense with 3-point range and play Popovich’s defense.

Azbuike
JR Smith
Carlos Delfino

make it so Buford

SPARKY
06-01-2008, 12:08 AM
Buck doesn't read SpursTalk.

He copies it.

intlspurshk
06-01-2008, 12:09 AM
Buford's FA signing recently are pretty bad. Butler, Elson, giving off Scola, Bonner, and picks have been wasted to get rid of these contracts.

Maybe he need a better Assistant GM. Damn

SPARKY
06-01-2008, 12:17 AM
RC has a coach and an owner to please. And both are rather difficult.

Mr. Body
06-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Buford's getting exposed as a pretty lousy GM.

T Park
06-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Yeah because he didn't bring over Luis Javtokas like you wanted.

ChumpDumper
06-01-2008, 12:21 AM
We should hire Zeke.

Mr. Body
06-01-2008, 12:24 AM
Yeah because he didn't bring over Luis Javtokas like you wanted.

Luis Scola and Robertas Javtokas would be excellent on this team about now, don't you think? I've been completely, utterly, and wholly borne out on those points.

ChumpDumper
06-01-2008, 12:28 AM
On Javtokas?

No.

But what does this change?

T Park
06-01-2008, 12:30 AM
Changes nothing because hes the epitome of the broken record.

Mr. Body
06-01-2008, 12:31 AM
Actually, I was pretty right about Javtokas, too. I was saying we should bring him over instead of Elson. Proven right. Regardless, having a guy with length and athleticism, not to mention actual shot-blocking prowess, could have helped.

So, yeah. Right about that, too.

ChumpDumper
06-01-2008, 12:32 AM
Actually, I was pretty right about Javtokas, too.Because he has proven himself in the NBA?

No.

Mr. Body
06-01-2008, 12:33 AM
So... uh... no one should draft Gallinari? Ricky Rubio? Never bring over a foreign player?

Please, burnish your takes a little. Take some time off the board. Your signal to noise ratio is dropping precipitously.

T Park
06-01-2008, 12:35 AM
Your the one who just said the other day the Spurs have to draft an American.

Make up your mind.

ChumpDumper
06-01-2008, 12:36 AM
So... uh... no one should draft Gallinari? Ricky Rubio? Never bring over a foreign player?

Please, burnish your takes a little. Take some time off the board. Your signal to noise ratio is dropping precipitously.Nope.

You always sucked and you're still here.

Mr. Body
06-01-2008, 12:36 AM
Your the one who just said the other day the Spurs have to draft an American.

Make up your mind.

They should. There's no dissonance here.

K-State Spur
06-01-2008, 12:38 AM
Actually, I was pretty right about Javtokas, too. I was saying we should bring him over instead of Elson. Proven right. Regardless, having a guy with length and athleticism, not to mention actual shot-blocking prowess, could have helped.

So, yeah. Right about that, too.

IMHO, Javtokas > Elson.

But that said, Elson had moments of competency. We did win a title with him as a regular in the rotation.

Javtokas is completely unproven at the NBA level. There's no proof that he would have been better - only speculation.

T Park
06-01-2008, 12:39 AM
IMHO, Javtokas > Elson.

But that said, Elson had moments of competency. We did win a title with him as a regular in the rotation.

Javtokas is completely unproven at the NBA level. There's no proof that he would have been better - only speculation.

Javtokas didn't want to compete with Elson for a spot.

That should tell you something.

Mr. Body
06-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Javtokas didn't want to compete with Elson for a spot.

That should tell you something.

He wouldn't have.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-01-2008, 12:44 AM
Time for Mr. Body's annual rant about Super Euro Scrub Javtokas. :rolleyes

Buck copies and pastes from Spurstalk more than boutons does from democraticunderground.org over on the political forum.

pawe
06-01-2008, 12:50 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA060108.harveybuford.en.4ba9671b.html

To counter, the Spurs need help. They need, specifically, a smart, young, athletic swingman who can score, rebound in a small lineup, stretch the defense with 3-point range and play Popovich’s defense.

Is he serious?! That right there is a superstar player who requires a lot of money. The Spurs would not spend that much this year numbnuts!

ChumpDumper
06-01-2008, 12:50 AM
It's tough to gauge Javtokas' season, but I still don't see blowing the MLE on him.

TDMVPDPOY
06-01-2008, 12:52 AM
On Javtokas?

No.

But what does this change?

javtokas is twice the man oberto is

his offensive game is limited, but his better than oberto defensively, rebounds, blocks, and yeh he would jam it instead of putting up pussy shots.

javtokas at the correct price of the minimum, i would do it.

ChumpDumper
06-01-2008, 12:53 AM
javtokas is twice the man oberto is

his offensive game is limited, but his better than oberto defensively, rebounds, blocks, and yeh he would jam it instead of putting up pussy shots.

javtokas at the correct price of the minimum, i would do it.Who wouldn't?

Oh, that's right -- Javtokas wouldn't.

Capt Bringdown
06-01-2008, 01:02 AM
Ouch. I think when it's all over we might look back and wonder why the Spurs didn't win more titles...

Seems to me we put all of eggs in one basket, time and time again.

mrspurs
06-01-2008, 03:24 PM
agreed with mr body....having someone with length and blocking ability woulda really helped.....all those ally-oops, easy layups, easy 3-6 foot jumpshots...duncan can cover all the paint....go spurs go

K-State Spur
06-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Ouch. I think when it's all over we might look back and wonder why the Spurs didn't win more titles...

I don't know about that. The Spurs have pretty much been right there every year since Duncan's second. With a level playing field under the post-lockout CBA, that's about all you can ask for. That's not to say that we won't be disappointed over '04, '06, or '08.

As long as there is a salary cap, I don't think you're going to see too many teams roll off 4 titles in a decade (not that it was done that often in the pre-salary cap era).

MannyIsGod
06-01-2008, 04:03 PM
:lol Buck Harvey with the SpursTalk remix.

Thats all he does.

timvp
06-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Still, the frontline was not the Spurs’ weakness this year, and it won’t be without Splitter. They instead need a fourth scorer, someone who makes the regular season easier for everyone.In RC's defense, I think he figured this out last summer. In the draft, they wanted Daequan Cook (Splitter was their second option). Cook is basically a chucker who can score in bunches and would make the regular season easier. The only reason you target Cook is if you think the team needs more scoring.

But yeah, this summer RC must land a fourth scorer ... whether it's in the draft, in free agency or via trade. If the Spurs enter next season without a fourth scorer, they're toast.

SPARKY
06-01-2008, 05:57 PM
RC doesn't have an easy job in SA. He has to provide players to a coach who is extremely finicky about the talent he coaches. Pop requires players who are polished and ready to go, or who at least require minimal effort when it comes to the basics. Raw talent does not wow him. Beno is a perfect example. On just about any other team in the NBA, Beno is in the rotation. He can score from outside and get to the rim. He can drop a few trick passes along the way. When compared to what plays the point position in the NBA, Beno is above average. Most coaches would play Beno at least 25 minutes a night and most GMs would be deemed to have pulled a steal out of the draft at #28 with such a player. Not in San Antonio. It's quite hard to find young talent which will meet with Pop's approval. So you go after experienced talent. Of course, experienced players cost a lot more than younger ones...unless they are near the end of their careers, are no longer stars, and are willing to take a small contract for a shot at a ring.

RC also has a difficult job because of Holt. How many NBA ownership groups do you think would have a hard time paying the luxury tax to add yet more talent to a team that just won 3 titles in 5 years? How many would force their front office to make dumb basketball moves over relatively small amounts of $? Yeah, Scola is at the forefront of everyone's mind, but if Pop hadn't forced Holt to relent then the Spurs would have lost Tony Parker over $2 million across 6 years during the negotiations for his current contract. And of course, according to the average fan, it would have been RC's fault that the Spurs lost TP, not Holt's.

Of course, most fans don't think of these things. They bitch loudly, as if somehow they could do better given the constraints RC faces.

Los Spurs
06-01-2008, 06:13 PM
RC doesn't have an easy job in SA. He has to provide players to a coach who is extremely finicky about the talent he coaches. Pop requires players who are polished and ready to go, or who at least require minimal effort when it comes to the basics. Raw talent does not wow him. Beno is a perfect example. On just about any other team in the NBA, Beno is in the rotation. He can score from outside and get to the rim. He can drop a few trick passes along the way. When compared to what plays the point position in the NBA, Beno is above average. Most coaches would play Beno at least 25 minutes a night and most GMs would be deemed to have pulled a steal out of the draft at #28 with such a player. Not in San Antonio. It's quite hard to find young talent which will meet with Pop's approval. So you go after experienced talent. Of course, experienced players cost a lot more than younger ones...unless they are near the end of their careers, are no longer stars, and are willing to take a small contract for a shot at a ring.

RC also has a difficult job because of Holt. How many NBA ownership groups do you think would have a hard time paying the luxury tax to add yet more talent to a team that just won 3 titles in 5 years? How many would force their front office to make dumb basketball moves over relatively small amounts of $? Yeah, Scola is at the forefront of everyone's mind, but if Pop hadn't forced Holt to relent then the Spurs would have lost Tony Parker over $2 million across 6 years during the negotiations for his current contract. And of course, according to the average fan, it would have been RC's fault that the Spurs lost TP, not Holt's.

Of course, most fans don't think of these things. They bitch loudly, as if somehow they could do better given the constraints RC faces.

Sounds like you work directly with the Spurs Org.

SPARKY
06-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Sounds like you work directly with the Spurs Org.

Nope.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Sparky - don't forget about losing SJax over not wanting to give him a 4 year, $20 mil deal...

T Park
06-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Sparky - don't forget about losing SJax over not wanting to give him a 4 year, $20 mil deal...

5 years and guaranteed starting spot

Los Spurs
06-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Nope.

In that case, you definitely need to apply. :toast

SPARKY
06-01-2008, 06:34 PM
In that case, you definitely need to apply. :toast

Because they're looking for someone who will criticize ownership?

ducks
06-01-2008, 07:13 PM
5 years and guaranteed starting spot

guaranteed starting spot cost sj
I think he would have stayed if it was just money

ducks
06-08-2008, 12:09 AM
mess up and he is on the hot seat

ElNono
06-08-2008, 12:26 AM
Pop won't play anybody that doesn't play defense and stick to our defensive system. THAT is the reason Beno didn't stay with us.

T Park
06-08-2008, 01:50 AM
Pop won't play anybody that doesn't play defense and stick to our defensive system. THAT is the reason Beno didn't stay with us.

Uh, please stop being wrong all the time.

Thanks.

The Truth #6
06-08-2008, 02:28 AM
We've been close on a lot of things but for different reasons they didn't work out. Just think - if the Barry/JR Smith trade paperwork had gone through 5 minutes earlier, and JR played as well as he did this year for Denver, a good portion of our problems would be gone and RC would be the genius of the decade. Who knows? We might have still been playing at this point in the season.

I'm not going to blame it all on RC. Everything had been going so well for us all we needed were minor players, and given our success I wonder how many teams want to make a deal with us.

We've lost a lot of talented personnel through the years, which doesn't help either.

That's why it's hard to stay on top for very long.

NewJerSpur
06-08-2008, 02:56 AM
We've been close on a lot of things but for different reasons they didn't work out. Just think - if the Barry/JR Smith trade paperwork had gone through 5 minutes earlier, and JR played as well as he did this year for Denver, a good portion of our problems would be gone and RC would be the genius of the decade. Who knows? We might have still been playing at this point in the season.

But who's to say Smith's sporadic offense, reckless decision making, and lack of consitent defensive effort & experience doesn't help cost us some opportunities at winning the championships we have? Barry has been clutch for this team ever since he was signed and has fit better in the system. If J.R.'s more boneheaded plays landed him in Pop's doghouse that would also have shortened the bench even further on many occasions.

boutons_
06-08-2008, 03:53 AM
Buck copies and pastes from Spurstalk more than boutons does from democraticunderground.org over on the political forum.

:lol Poor Aggie, he's so obsessed with my Aggie bitch slappings in the political forum that he drags his hemorrhaged, dilated anus (I've ripped him a few new ones in the political forum) to the sports forum and injects boutons into this thread.

As is typical of all Aggie bubbas, he's fact-challenged and a total liar. I've never even visited the democraticunderground.org site, never mind copy/paste from it. Aggie, provide a link to the political forum where I copied from democratic underground. Can't do it? Owned your pathetic self, again. :lol

Aggie, you little dickless twerp, keep embarrassing yourself, the laughing stock of Spurstalk. :lol

exstatic
06-08-2008, 08:50 AM

I'm not going to blame it all on RC. Everything had been going so well for us all we needed were minor players, and given our success I wonder how many teams want to make a deal with us.

We've lost a lot of talented personnel through the years, which doesn't help either.

That's why it's hard to stay on top for very long.
It wasn't late paperwork. The money didn't quite work, and we needed to get a third team involved to take a small salary. Few teams have cap room during the season, but Atlanta did that year. Unfortunately, Billy Knight wasn't answering his phone...on trade deadline day. :(

ElNono
06-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Uh, please stop being wrong all the time.

Thanks.

I'm gonna play your game...

You're wrong. Search the forums for the reason why you're wrong.

You keep talking a lot and saying nothing.

exstatic
06-08-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm gonna play your game...

You're wrong. Search the forums for the reason why you're wrong.

You keep talking a lot and saying nothing.

Oh, snap.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-08-2008, 09:56 AM
:lol

The Truth #6
06-08-2008, 10:36 AM
It wasn't late paperwork. The money didn't quite work, and we needed to get a third team involved to take a small salary. Few teams have cap room during the season, but Atlanta did that year. Unfortunately, Billy Knight wasn't answering his phone...on trade deadline day. :(

I got the reasons of this trade confused with a previous failed trade, I believe the Malik/Kurt Thomas deal.

The Truth #6
06-08-2008, 10:43 AM
But who's to say Smith's sporadic offense, reckless decision making, and lack of consitent defensive effort & experience doesn't help cost us some opportunities at winning the championships we have? Barry has been clutch for this team ever since he was signed and has fit better in the system. If J.R.'s more boneheaded plays landed him in Pop's doghouse that would also have shortened the bench even further on many occasions.

Of course there are risks with any trade, and especially with any young, talented offensive gunner. However, that's who we need right now. We're in a position where we're going to have to take a risk. Also, that's why I qualified it by saying if JR had played as well as he had this season.

I'm a fan of Bones but he was getting unfairly stuck behind Finley at that point (and almost all points) and we needed then (as we do now) an athletic wing player who can attack the basket and break down the defense.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 10:52 AM
This is entertaining. Spurs fans rip the front office for not having a bunch of young studs on the roster and yet when it comes to landing those young players then they turn into a bunch of finicky little shrews. Young talent is raw, it's rough. It's not going to be refined. Especially when you consider the limitations the Spurs have in acquiring such talent.

SenorSpur
06-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Older players are needed and valued for their experience. A team cannot win deep in the playoffs without them. The problem is older players are injury-prone, eventually break down, and at times lack the necessary motivation.

One or two younger players added to the mix (limitations notwithstanding) is a good way to offset the declining skills of the older vets and balance out the roster at the same time. Plus, they have the luxury of being able to develop without the pressure of having to contriubute instantly.

A flaw that exists in today's coaches is impatience. None has the time, willingnes, or desire to allow young talent to develop - especially when championships are at stake. However if you look at the four teams in both conference final games, the Spurs were the only team that did not have a young player, of 4 years or less experience, in their rotation.

I'm not drawing any correlation to that fact other than to say that having too much of anything is of no obvious benefit. Imagine the utter chaos of having a team of all power forwards or point guards. IMO, a diverse roster of age, experience, talent and skill set provides a higher potential for prolonged success.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Spurs fans are spoiled.

wildbill2u
06-08-2008, 12:49 PM

Buck Harvey: Summer of change will test Buford
Buck Harvey

A year ago the national media came to San Antonio for the Finals. At various times, many of them surrounded R.C. Buford with questions.

How did the Spurs do it? While larger markets spent more money and lost more games — while the Celtics and Lakers seemed stuck in mediocrity — how did the Spurs keep such a smart payroll and smarter locker room?

The Spurs’ general manager cracked a few jokes. Some were aimed at the media, some at himself. It was hard to explain, without bragging, that he had beaten his peers and found two sensational, franchise-changing players low in the draft.

But the last of those two draft bonanzas was seven years ago. No one drafted since is on the roster except for Ian Mahinmi, who played a total of 22 minutes this season. Now Buford’s international strategy is showing holes, and the Spurs face a telling time.

Buford faces a telling time.

It’s not all up to him. Gregg Popovich and his assistants influence the roster as much as any coaching staff does.

It’s also not an end-of-the-world scenario. The Spurs will be competitive next season no matter. Tim Duncan and the two draft miracles, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker, will be similar to what they were this past season.

But the league is changing. The return of Yao Ming, Elton Brand, Greg Oden and Andrew Bynum will cement that for their teams. New Orleans will likely take another step. And Dallas and Phoenix, even with issues, aren’t going away.

This is where Buford would crack a few more jokes.

He thought he had found something with last year’s first-round draft pick, Tiago Splitter. But stories suggest he will stay in Spain for another two years.

The Spurs could use Splitter’s 7-foot size and youth, and not having him takes another bite out of the Spurs’ longtime philosophy. Ginobili developed in Europe as a Spurs draftee, and this was seen then as cutting edge. But since then the Spurs have used a half-dozen picks on similar international prospects, and not one has produced anything for them yet.

Some of it is bad luck, as it was with Splitter. With the recent influx of Russian money raising salaries in Europe, and with the rise of the Euro, Splitter has about four million reasons to stay.

But that doesn’t change this: The Spurs traded Luis Scola, in part, because they saw the taller Splitter as a better complement to Duncan.

Still, the frontline was not the Spurs’ weakness this year, and it won’t be without Splitter. They instead need a fourth scorer, someone who makes the regular season easier for everyone.

That’s where Buford comes in. Can he find players, as a Web site said last week, with his old “draft-night magic?”

Buford never said he was smarter than everyone else. He always said the Spurs had been blessed. Parker had to fall to them past franchises that should have known better. As Buford said, if he knew what Ginobili would become, he would have drafted him higher.

Still, Buford knew the world, and he gambled on this knowledge, and this is what launched the Spurs to three more titles. One of the slights of this era is that Buford was never the executive of the year for this.

With three stars in place, the Spurs merely had to find bargain veterans who fit in Popovich’s system. And if Ginobili had been healthy, who knows? Maybe the national media would be coming to San Antonio this month to again ask Buford how he did it.

He instead is back at his job with the usual tools. All he’s got to work with is a low first-round pick and enough money for a mid-level player.

Buford also has something new, however, and that’s urgency. After all, can the Spurs win another championship before Duncan retires without finding someone else who is special?

In one of the Laker games, three of our starters scored a grand total of 7 points. All from Bowen.

That's ridiculous for an NBA playoff team. Do we need some retooling or what?

But the last few years haven't put anything of note into the pipeline and our trades haven't brought anything but older players, mostly with all their usefull days behind them (NVE or Stoudamire anyone?)

The FO need a miracle or two to regain their reputation.

SenorSpur
06-08-2008, 01:09 PM
In one of the Laker games, three of our starters scored a grand total of 7 points. All from Bowen.

That's ridiculous for an NBA playoff team. Do we need some retooling or what?

But the last few years haven't put anything of note into the pipeline and our trades haven't brought anything but older players, mostly with all their usefull days behind them (NVE or Stoudamire anyone?)

The FO need a miracle or two to regain their reputation.

....and to stock a talent cupboard that is bare of incoming talent.

LakerLanny
06-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Buford's getting exposed as a pretty lousy GM.

Yeah, 4 titles in 9 years is horrible. He should be run out of town in favor of whoever the GM was before SA ever won a title.

Stupid post by another fucking idiot.

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Yeah, 4 titles in 9 years is horrible. He should be run out of town in favor of whoever the GM was before SA ever won a title.

That GM was Popovich. You don't really know anything, do you?

dbreiden83080
06-08-2008, 02:54 PM
"The Spurs traded Luis Scola, in part, because they saw the taller Splitter as a better complement to Duncan".

:flipoff

ducks
06-08-2008, 02:59 PM
"The Spurs traded Luis Scola, in part, because they saw the taller Splitter as a better complement to Duncan".

:flipoff

:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 03:11 PM
So Buford is a "lousy GM" because he took a shot at landing a lottery level talent whose contract situation had resulted in the player falling to a low first round pick? It's funny how Spurs fans take it for granted that the front office's draft picks will pan out. But when they do, well, that's just dumb luck.

:jack

It'll be interesting to see the armchair GM explanations when Mahinmi blows up next season.

NewJerSpur
06-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Of course there are risks with any trade, and especially with any young, talented offensive gunner. However, that's who we need right now. We're in a position where we're going to have to take a risk. Also, that's why I qualified it by saying if JR had played as well as he had this season.

I'm a fan of Bones but he was getting unfairly stuck behind Finley at that point (and almost all points) and we needed then (as we do now) an athletic wing player who can attack the basket and break down the defense.

I understand where you're coming from Truth, what I'm saying is that taking a risk on an unknown commodity in J.R. years ago might have cost this team championships in recent years in the same way some here think he'd help us win some moving forward....so you'd actually be making a trade off as opposed to guaranteeing we'd have had better results than what we've had.

I personally don't feel B.O.B. (Boom or Bust) Smith is a good fit for this team for multiple reasons that I stated in my earlier post...also the time he's spent in Denver has made him accustomed to a certain style of play at this point that he may or may not be willing to change. I'm grateful for Barry's presence here even with the injuries he's dealt with this past season and think the L.A. series might have been A LOT less competitive without him. Pop made some suspect coaching decisions in that series and his use of Barry in the postseason can be added to the list IMO.

leemajors
06-08-2008, 04:38 PM
....and to stock a talent cupboard that is bare of incoming talent.

if the D-League rules get tweaked a bit, that could change rapidly. Buying the Toros at least showed an attempt to corral some.

Clandestino
06-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Whoever this Buford guy is he sucks... We need to fire him. What? Only 4 titles?

Gino2882
06-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Whoever this Buford guy is he sucks... We need to fire him. What? Only 4 titles?

It really gets old reading responses like this. Ya your right, Duncan and company have won 4 titles. THAT IN NO WAY, excuses Buford and his obvious drafting mistakes.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 06:14 PM
It really gets old reading responses like this. Ya your right, Duncan and company have won 4 titles. THAT IN NO WAY, excuses Buford and his obvious drafting mistakes.

What were the "mistakes"? Drafting Splitter and Scola with low round picks? BFD.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-08-2008, 07:33 PM
:lol Poor Aggie, he's so obsessed with my Aggie bitch slappings in the political forum that he drags his hemorrhaged, dilated anus (I've ripped him a few new ones in the political forum) to the sports forum and injects boutons into this thread.

As is typical of all Aggie bubbas, he's fact-challenged and a total liar. I've never even visited the democraticunderground.org site, never mind copy/paste from it. Aggie, provide a link to the political forum where I copied from democratic underground. Can't do it? Owned your pathetic self, again. :lol

Aggie, you little dickless twerp, keep embarrassing yourself, the laughing stock of Spurstalk. :lol

http://www.scofs.com.au/images/stories/trolling.jpg

Do you really think anyone agrees with you on any of that, boutons? The next time you rip anyone a new asshole anywhere on this forum will be the first time, but it'll never happen - you're too busy sucking Obama's d-ck.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-08-2008, 07:34 PM

Sincerely, Michael Finley :rolleyes

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Beno is gone because Pop didn't want to put up with his bullshit anymore. On any other team he would be getting 25 minutes a night, if not 35.

Man of Steel
06-09-2008, 03:50 AM
Buck doesn't read SpursTalk.

He copies it.

More than that.

Buck doesn't read Spurstalk.

He copies it.

He commits it to memory.

He reads it while fucking his wife.

He reads it while taking a shit.

He reads it while watching his wife fuck his mailman.

He reads it while :downspin:getting stoned...

silk
06-09-2008, 05:36 AM
More than that.

Buck doesn't read Spurstalk.

He copies it.

He commits it to memory.

He reads it while fucking his wife.

He reads it while taking a shit.

He reads it while watching his wife fuck his mailman.

He reads it while :downspin:getting stoned...

is that really funny ?? no need to insult his wife

Man of Steel
06-09-2008, 06:32 AM
Okay--you're right...

"He reads it while ________ is banging ______ _______..."

mrspurs
06-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Because they're looking for someone who will criticize ownership?

Ive said the same words as yourself, but i don't start threads because you will find people who say goods things about it, and you find people not by choice who like to make fun of things....don't let the readers in here that only look for the negatives in what others write keep you from posting....it was a good post, but understand that in here you must also be able to accept negative reinforcemet..and of course the ignore is the 2nd best part of this place spurs:flag: