PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone overreacting

Biggems
06-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Even I am a bit guilty of it.

Everyone is acting like we didn't do jack squat this year. We had the 3rd best record in the West, even with all the injuries and inconsistencies we dealt with throughout the season.

We made it all the way to the 5th game of the WCF. The Lakers only blew us out one time.....in two of the other losses, we blew 20 and 17 pt leads. We were in all but 1 game all the way to the end. The two main reasons we lost the series were poor rebounding and we couldn't make our outside shots.

Now, I can see how some of us would panick after NO blew us out 3 times on their home floor...but we did the same to them on ours. We even beat them when it mattered most on their own floor.

I understand that changes need to be made...it is inevitable. However, there is no reason to completely dismantle this team. In fact, financially we can't. We have 10 players under contract for next season.

C - Oberto, Bonner
PF - Duncan, Mahimni
SF - Bowen, Udoka
SG - Manu, Barry
PG - Parker, Vaughn

We still have to decide on Horry, Finley, and Thomas...Personally, I would like to see Horry and Finley retire. I would like to see Thomas move on to a team in the East.

We have 3 draft picks this year....so that means 2 picks and a trade for the future....cause that has been the Spurs MO the last few seasons.

We have limited resources to woo FAs, the MLE and possibly the LLE. We may also have the Vet Minimum to offer, but Barry may have gotten that one. I am no cap guru, so if there is one on this site, maybe he or she can clarify what exactly we have to spend.

What we need is a Big who can defend, is a beast of a rebounder, can block shots, and is a decent offensive threat. We need a tall Wing player who has range, but can also drive hard and get to the rim at will (a Teyshawn Prince type). We need a combo guard who can pass well, but also shoot lights out (a Derek Fisher or Bobby Jackson type).

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-01-2008, 10:33 AM
I understand that changes need to be made...it is inevitable. However, there is no reason to completely dismantle this team. In fact, financially we can't. We have 10 players under contract for next season.

No one's saying to completely dismantle this team. They're saying we need to get younger and build around the big 3. The fact is everyone not named Tony, Tim, Manu, and really Bowen are expendable.

That, and this could have gone in the rebuilding thread...

Biggems
06-01-2008, 10:45 AM
The problem with that is....since this team is so old....who would want these guys. No one is going to trade for our senior citizens. If we cut them, we still have to pay them, and the Spurs just don't have the finances for that.

The way I see it, when their contracts run out, don't re-sign them. So now that Horry and Finley are FAs, let them walk. Next year when Vaughn and Barry are FAs, let them walk.

We have our 10 players under contract. We can probably sign 2 FAs.....Diop and James Jones. Then we have to draft wisely.....Maybe get two players from the draft, a Big and a Wing. Our roster will be set for 2008-09.

Fabbs
06-01-2008, 10:52 AM
20 point lead with 6 minutes to play in the 3rd qtr becoming a loss.

I'm not overacting. Everything is fine. Now there is a chance Avery will team with Pop?:lol :downspin:

LakerLanny
06-01-2008, 11:04 AM
I also think there is a lot of overreaction going on.

If the *purs had won just a few more games in the regular season, they would have had HCA and very likely would be in the finals.

Manu's injury came at the worst possible time and Horry/Finley finally showed their age. Parker didn't have his best series vs LA, although he was good.

I would make some minor tweaks and somehow/some way try and get a guy like Corey Maggette. If not him, then maybe a Matt Barnes or someone like that and SA will be right back in contention next year.

Bottom line is your Big 3 is still among the best in the league, that isn't even debatable. I wouldn't even consider breaking up that core.

T Park
06-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Lakerlanny with a great post. :tu

Agreed.

Amazing how good this team automatically becomes again with the addition of an Azubuike, Carlos Delfino type player.

I really am intrigued with the possibility of Delfino starting and in the game with Oberto and Ginobili. Not just his athleticism, but also the chemistry, his defensive potential, and his ability to be a semi decent defender against a Lamar Odom maybe.

mrspurs
06-01-2008, 02:57 PM
yep lakerlanny your right...we blew games so pop could teach mighty mouse the system, then later traded elson to teach kurt the system....bonehead moves...mighty mouse...what were you thinking......all i can say is...the spurs brought it on themselves...pop and his...the west is so good this yr. homecourt doesnt matter...pop should retrack that statement cos he was dead wrong.........go spurs go

Bartleby
06-01-2008, 03:02 PM
homecourt doesnt matter...pop should retrack that statement cos he was dead wrong.........go spurs go

How did not having HCA hurt the Spurs in the semis or help them in the WCF?

rascal
06-01-2008, 03:56 PM
No one's saying to completely dismantle this team. They're saying we need to get younger and build around the big 3. The fact is everyone not named Tony, Tim, Manu, and really Bowen are expendable.

That, and this could have gone in the rebuilding thread...

I'm saying dismantle the team. Keep Duncan and Parker and package a blockbuster trade which includes Manu. Thats the best way your going to get a couple of impact players that are not rookies or over the hill types.

koopa
06-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Even I am a bit guilty of it.

Everyone is acting like we didn't do jack squat this year. We had the 3rd best record in the West, even with all the injuries and inconsistencies we dealt with throughout the season.

we didn't do jack squat............ when you are a defending champion, unless you repeat your season was a waste of time.......... this season was worthless because we didn't even develop young talent, sure ian played in the dleague, but that's a worthless league, ain't no players really worth a shit coming out of there........... so this was yet another year wasted in tim duncans career