06-01-2008, 11:19 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/nicolas_batum.jpg

Full Name: Nicolas Batum
Position: Forward
Height/Weight: 6-8 / 190
Birthdate: December 14, 1988
High School:
Team: Le Mans (France)

NBA (http://www.nba.com/draft2008/profiles/NicolasBatum.html)
NBADraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/nicolasbatum.html)
DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Nicolas-Batum-537/)

ducks
06-01-2008, 11:21 PM
ask tp about him he is from france

Birn
If this guy is there at #26 it should be a no brainer.

GSH
Are you listing every single prospect alphabetically?

ducks
06-01-2008, 11:22 PM
yes he is he does this every year
then he does a master thread and puts them in there
you should thank him

L.I.T
06-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Would be a great pickup if he slides to 26; especially if the Spurs are really going to start transitioning to an up-tempo game.

Wonder if he's 'tough' enough though to handle Pop. At the very least, maybe players like Parker and Manu would be able to convince him that getting hit is ok in the NBA.

exstatic
06-01-2008, 11:48 PM
How highly is he regarded in Europe? If he's in demand over there, it would be another wasted first rounder. I'm beginning to think that only VERY raw prospects like Mahinmi are worth a first round pick any more.

E20
06-01-2008, 11:49 PM
I love these threads. Especially the FA editions. Does MB do a trade prospects as well?

Big P
06-01-2008, 11:59 PM
Forget about staying at 26...I've been interested in Batum since last year, the Spurs need to find a way and move up in the draft to get this kid. Most people are talking about getting a SG like JR Smith or Azibuke, but I would like to see us draft a SF, like Batum, and get a little taller, while also being able to shoot the lights out. I think the Spurs are missing a Hedo/Rashard Lewis like player..really a jack of all trades & Batum is it IMO (watch the youtube video from nbadraft.net).

Not sure what trade assets we have besides our 1 first rounder & 2 second rounders, maybe Bonner & one of our Euro's..but I think the one thing that we have going for us is that a few teams like Philly & Toronto & Orlando will be looking to either move down, or move out of the first round altogether & they could make perfect trading partners.

ducks
06-02-2008, 12:02 AM
does he have a contract now?
if so how much is his buyout
if he can come next year you pick him
if you want him to stay over there a year do not pick him

Freeze
06-02-2008, 12:05 AM

His current contract ends this month, so no buyout, and he wants to join NBA this year.

ducks
06-02-2008, 12:06 AM
cool

Big P
06-02-2008, 12:09 AM

Not sure about his contract situation, I think he may be able to come over next year. Even if he did have to sit for a year, he is worth the pick in my opinion. He is only 19, I know we need scoring next year, but if we sell all our picks to move up top get this kid, then I would use the MLE on a NBA vet to provide the scoring punch next year

mystargtr34
06-02-2008, 12:29 AM
Not your typical Euro... he'll be coming over right away.... and hes my favourite guy in the draft.

Has top 5 talent IMO

Mr. Body
06-02-2008, 12:45 AM
The only Euro I'd care to draft.

And... people, there's no moving up in the draft. We've never been able to do it even with far better assets than we have now.

K-State Spur
06-02-2008, 12:47 AM
Teams typically tend to 'over-value' there own draft standing.

Playing the other side of this question for once - how many GMs around the league wish that they had been willing to give up a 1st for Scola in retrospect?

mystargtr34
06-02-2008, 12:51 AM
Well i think it was Bruno who made a nice list about the chances of Batum falling to us.

Ive always said the sticking point for that plan would the Raptors at 17... think thats where he is most likely to go. BUT, if he can fall past them.. who i think like Donte Green also.

Pick 18 - Wizards: Caron Butler
Pick 19 - Cavs: LeBron
Pick 20 - Nuggets: Carmelo
Pick 21 - Nets: Richard Jefferson
Pick 22 - Magic: Turkoglu/Lewis
Pick 23 - Jazz: Kirilenko
Pick 24 - Sonics: Durant
Pick 25 - Rockets: Battier
Pick 26 - Spurs: ?

The better he keeps playing in France though the less likely that is... and hes put some good game sup lately.

Mr. Body
06-02-2008, 12:54 AM
Teams typically tend to 'over-value' there own draft standing.

Playing the other side of this question for once - how many GMs around the league wish that they had been willing to give up a 1st for Scola in retrospect?

Lots. Chicago was looking for him, decided instead to draft Joakim Noah. I'd rather have Scola. Any team would.

K-State Spur
06-02-2008, 12:58 AM
Yeah, as flack as we give our own FO for that debacle (deservedly so) - there were 28 other teams that could have traded for him without having to give up the world. Just a little bit of draft value - which most of them wasted anyways.

colargol
06-02-2008, 01:15 AM
he had a great all around game yesterday in the french PO semi final...
I don't know if he wants to show his value before the draft but he is playing better now than during the regular season.
I'd like him as a Spurs but it won't happen....

His stat from yesterday

http://www.lequipe.fr/Basket/BasketFicheMatch9000000000016317.html

angelbelow
06-02-2008, 01:17 AM
my question is, is he even going to stay in the draft if he slips that low? he probably could make more money in europe.

Blackjack
06-02-2008, 01:39 AM
I've liked what I've seen from this kid, but.....

Anyone else worried about the pressure of trying to win championships, and our team being a little too.... Well... French?

I'm not saying.... But I'm just saying. :lol

Freeze
06-02-2008, 03:25 AM
my question is, is he even going to stay in the draft if he slips that low? he probably could make more money in europe.

He will, he wants to play in NBA, not in Euro team, ala Tony Parker.

Streakyshooter08
06-02-2008, 03:35 AM
I would be very very surprised if he drops that low. I think he won't be there if the Spurs choose. Maybe they trade up a little to get him. That said, I would really like to have him.

mountainballer
06-02-2008, 03:38 AM
he will withdraw, if there is a chance that he drops to the 20+ area. (remember how often other Euros withdrew, Tiago included).
but what happens IF he was there? he would ba a no-brainer, because he in fact is a lottery talent. we pick him, leave him in Europe, celebrate the great pick for that time and learn that a late 1st rounder rookie contract just isn't enough any longer to attract players like him to come over. in other word: the use of a 1st round pick for a Euro player with (Euro) star potential is like burning the pick. and for players without this kind of potential a first rounder is also a wasted pick. better trade down to 31 and use the pick on that kind of players. (Casspi and Asik are more likely for this scenario anyhow)

kobyz
06-02-2008, 04:16 AM
this year we need to take players that are ready to contribute in the nba, we need to improve now, dont take player for the future this year, Duncan need halp right now!

JP le Requin
06-02-2008, 04:21 AM
i am french, and if spurs can pick him or make a trade for him...SPURS MUST DO IT!!!

Bruno
06-02-2008, 04:21 AM
While it's logical that most Spurs fans are skeptical about drafting an "Euro" player after the Scola and Splitter picks, you can't make a generalization and you had to look at each player individually.

People, that knows a little Batum's situation, like Freeze who should be French, will all tell you the same thing "Batum will play in NBA next year. It's sure at 99,99%"

I don't think Batum will drop at 26. Spurs will likely have to move up to get him.

A.H 21-50
06-02-2008, 06:27 AM
While it's logical that most Spurs fans are skeptical about drafting an "Euro" player after the Scola and Splitter picks, you can't make a generalization and you had to look at each player individually.

People, that knows a little Batum's situation, like Freeze who should be French, will all tell you the same thing "Batum will play in NBA next year. It's sure at 99,99%"

I don't think Batum will drop at 26. Spurs will likely have to move up to get him.

Living in france , batum is a very good prospect and he steps up this year

he will be in nba next year like bruno said but will never fall to no.26 pick except a miracle

I wish spurs can get him

Bruno
06-02-2008, 06:48 AM
Wizards at #18 and Nuggets at #20 are the two best shots for Spurs to move up.

Both teams are in luxury tax trouble and could be looking at trading their pick to save money. There have been words about them doing it.
#26+#45+cash could be an interesting offer for these teams.
In the Washington case, Spurs could also absorb Pecherov and McGuire salaries with their TE to lower their team salary.

Lady M
06-02-2008, 07:05 AM
In France, NBA is the dream
if we have 9 players in NBA it's for that
the french league don't pay a lot and they want NBA before euroleague

Mr. Body
06-02-2008, 07:38 AM
Bruno - in any world do you see Holt paying money just for a draft pick? Not just for a draft pick; in order to move up a few spots?

Bruno
06-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Bruno - in any world do you see Holt paying money just for a draft pick? Not just for a draft pick; in order to move up a few spots?

First, Holt isn't that cheap. Spurs paid the luxury tax during year and even is they didn't spend it last year, they spend more with the $2M in cash given in the Udrih trade.

Second, how do you think Holt manage the team ?
Does he looks at all the moves like Cuban or does he only gives a financial limit to the team and let the FO do what they want ?
I personally think that Holt doesn't micromanage the FO. Spurs' team salary will be quite low next year so it's fully possible that the front office can spend some cash without exceeding the Holt's financial limit.

The biggest obstacle to trading up isn't Holt but it's to find a team ready to trade down, with Spurs and for what Spurs want to give to trade up.
Spurs will also trade up only if there is a player they really like that will be available at #18, #20 or whatever and won't be available at #26. If they really like a player and thinks that he will be available at #26, they have no reason to trade up.

urunobili
06-02-2008, 09:03 AM
has this guy played on the national french team already?

oligarchy
06-02-2008, 09:11 AM
First, Holt isn't that cheap. Spurs paid the luxury tax during year and even is they didn't spend it last year, they spend more with the $2M in cash given in the Udrih trade.

Second, how do you think Holt manage the team ?
Does he looks at all the moves like Cuban or does he only gives a financial limit to the team and let the FO do what they want ?
I personally think that Holt doesn't micromanage the FO. Spurs' team salary will be quite low next year so it's fully possible that the front office can spend some cash without exceeding the Holt's financial limit.

The biggest obstacle to trading up isn't Holt but it's to find a team ready to trade down, with Spurs and for what Spurs want to give to trade up.
Spurs will also trade up only if there is a player they really like that will be available at #18, #20 or whatever and won't be available at #26. If they really like a player and thinks that he will be available at #26, they have no reason to trade up.

Agree. I don't believe they have had the "stars align" so to speak -- having a combination of a team that is willing to give up the lower pick, having the right options to give to that team, and having the player available at the position they want. It's also a combination of teams even willing to give up that spot with the Spurs to begin with. I think some teams may be willing to trade down with the Spurs this year, but maybe not. In any case, I don't believe it's the FO not willing to deal or spend, but other teams not interested in what they have to offer.

Mr. Body
06-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Bruno, it' snot a question of cheapness. Buying up in the draft to pick a guy for guaranteed money is in no way Spurs mode. You'd basically be picking the guy in a top lottery salary scale, even if you're not paying that money to him. I think you're being extremely optimistic here. This is the team that dumps draft picks to save from guaranteeing money to unknown quantities. They're not going to do the opposite all of a sudden.

SenorSpur
06-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Assuming Rush will be gone, this guy should be the next target for the Spurs.

mystargtr34
06-02-2008, 10:03 AM
If these two are both on the board... i think you have to take Batum... he has super star potential... Rush on the other hand... has a limited ceiling.

14dave
06-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Nicolas Batum is THE player of this draft I really want to be picked by the SPURS.
He's tall, young, athletic, has long arms and skills.
But I think he will be not avaible at the 26th choice!!
He will play in NBA next year it's sure!!

AA2120
06-02-2008, 10:23 AM
as long as he is able to come to the nba right away then i dont mind the pick..

tav1
06-02-2008, 11:21 AM

Both teams are in luxury tax trouble and could be looking at trading their pick to save money. There have been words about them doing it.
In the Washington case, Spurs could also absorb Pecherov and McGuire salaries with their TE to lower their team salary.

yes, but that would have to be done with a seperate deal?

Bruno
06-02-2008, 11:34 AM
yes, but that would have to be done with a seperate deal?

You can package picks or cash with a trade exception.
If Wizards want to dump both Pecherov and McGuire, is should be done in two separate deals but it doesn't matter at all.

GrandeDavid
06-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Dude, he's 6'8" and 190. I want help NOW, not in four years!

Bruno
06-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Dude, he's 6'8" and 190. I want help NOW, not in four years!

No he isn't 190. He weighted 214.2lbs last year at the Nike hoop summit

ElNono
06-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Pop probably won't play him anyways, so I really doubt the Spurs will invest in moving up the draft...

ECZ
06-02-2008, 01:58 PM
this one is a no brainer...but his stock is still rising. We might have to trade up

yavozerb
06-02-2008, 02:17 PM
One maybe two of these guys (Budinger,Batum, or Rush) will be available from pick 20 to as low as 26.. Batum is my 1st pick, Rush 2nd, and then Budinger..All 3 are pretty damn good SF and hopefully the spurs will get one of them.

timvp
06-02-2008, 03:04 PM
If he's on the board, you have to pick him. The only reason he's not a top 15 pick is the Euro backlash that is happening. Teams see busts like Bustnani and Belinelli and that makes them think twice. Add in liars such as Splitter and Vazquez and I can see why NBA teams are getting more and more hesitant.

ChumpDumper
06-02-2008, 03:13 PM

In the Washington case, Spurs could also absorb Pecherov and McGuire salaries with their TE to lower their team salary.I'd love that trade. Pecherov could probably use some time in Austin, but I've liked his potential since Vegas last summer.

Mr. Body
06-02-2008, 03:39 PM
If he's on the board, you have to pick him. The only reason he's not a top 15 pick is the Euro backlash that is happening. Teams see busts like Bustnani and Belinelli and that makes them think twice. Add in liars such as Splitter and Vazquez and I can see why NBA teams are getting more and more hesitant.

Yet Gallinari has shot up the boards. Time was Batum was thought of as a lottery pick, but his passive court demeanor (supposedly) and the rise of Joe Alexander and Brandon Rush have pushed him down.

timvp
06-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Yet Gallinari has shot up the boards.?

This time last year, Gallinari was considered a no-brainer as a top five pick. Now he's more like 6-10. If Bargnani and Belinelli wouldn't have busted, Gallinari would still be going in the top five.

Bruno
06-02-2008, 03:50 PM
What has hurt the most Batum draft stock this year has been his average year in Euroleague. Scouts were waiting for a breakout year in this competition and it didn't happen.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 03:52 PM
No thanks.
PICK MARIO!

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 03:54 PM
No thanks.
PICK MARIO!

Batum>Chalmers
Batum has everything the Spurs need. As much as the backup PG void needs to be filled, it isn't as important as a swingman to this team.

angelbelow
06-02-2008, 03:59 PM
No thanks.
PICK MARIO!

i think mario will be availible in the 2nd round, albeit early 2nd round.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Batum>Chalmers
Batum has everything the Spurs need. As much as the backup PG void needs to be filled, it isn't as important as a swingman to this team.

We already have enough foreign players. If we draft a swingman id rather have Brandon Rush. And if we dont pick a PG (chalmers) we better sign Duhon

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 04:40 PM
We already have enough foreign players. If we draft a swingman id rather have Brandon Rush. And if we dont pick a PG (chalmers) we better sign Duhon

What's wrong with foreigners?

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Its nice to have an american guy who played college ball that every1 knows about for a change

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Its nice to have an american guy who played college ball that every1 knows about for a change

This isn't a popularity contest. It's the NBA.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 04:50 PM
according to the NBA it is a popularity contest. They did wutever they could to get Lakers/Celtics in the finals

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 04:51 PM
And they just happened to make it happen for the Lakers by giving them.. *gasp a foreigner!

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 04:53 PM
we have to many anyways its nice to be able to pronounce a name easily

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Nicolas Batum is easy to say.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 04:56 PM
chalmers is easier. and he's better anyways

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Even if he is better, which I doubt, Batum would fill more of a need than Chalmers would.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 04:59 PM
we need to draft chalmers. he would be a solid backup PG. with damon leaving, we will need a better backup PG than jacque. theres plenty of good swingmen on the free agent list

Mr. Body
06-02-2008, 05:03 PM
?

This time last year, Gallinari was considered a no-brainer as a top five pick. Now he's more like 6-10. If Bargnani and Belinelli wouldn't have busted, Gallinari would still be going in the top five.

Perhaps on a couple of sites, but by no means universally. At one point Batum and Gallinari were considered fairly equal and the idea of Gallinari at NYK's position was unthinkable. Of course the change in Knicks regime has made a difference, but even a move of 5-8 spots in the lottery, which has generally been the case, is a great leap in a year.

You're not addressing the main point, however. You assert Euros are taking a hit in reputation. As always it's a case-by-case basis. Gallinari has risen, Batum fallen. Otherwise there is a host of very young, unproven big men. Next year you'll have Ricky Rubio perhaps getting a top three slot. There are no trends here.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 05:04 PM
we need to draft chalmers. he would be a solid backup PG. with damon leaving, we will need a better backup PG than jacque. theres plenty of good swingmen on the free agent list

The swingman need in the draft is needed more than the backup point guard need in the draft. We can get a point guard in the free agent market. We need to get young swingmen. Getting older point guards is ok.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 05:08 PM
theres plenty of young talented swingmen free agents. how bout azabuike, pietrus, james jones, fred jones, rj smith
there is 1 good pg and thats duhon
if we do as u say we better sign duhon and one of those guys i named

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 05:12 PM
theres plenty of young talented swingmen free agents. how bout azabuike, pietrus, james jones, fred jones, rj smith
there is 1 good pg and thats duhon
if we do as u say we better sign duhon and one of those guys i named

There's some nice point guards in the free agent market as well, such as Tyronn Lue, Ramon Sessions, Carlos Arroyo, Louis Williams, and Jannero Pargo.
And it isn't a guarantee that we'll be able to get any of those swingmen you mentioned, so we should play it safe and get Batum if he falls to us.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 05:18 PM
tyronn lue is old, sessions is good but still improving and im sure the bucks wont let him go, arroyo will probobly want 2 much $, williams is ok, pargo is not a bad choice but duhon is the best free agent PG we can get for what we have

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Duhon has worse work ethic than Beno and has off-court issues. He isn't good.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 05:25 PM
beno was terrible until he went to the kings. duhon needs 2 get out of chicago then maybe he'll play better like beno did. i have no problem with pargo he would make a good backup

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Beno played better because he was the only real point guard the Kings had so he had more playing time. Duhon would probably get less.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 05:29 PM
whoever our new backup PG will be will not get bad playing time unless were stuck with jacque

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Tony averages 34 minutes a game. When he's out he'll either be replaced by Barry or Vaughn. You know new players don't get much playing time unless they fill a dire need.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 05:37 PM
thats because we have sorry backups. if we have pargo or duhon or chalmers that might happen at first but we will have them adjusted to the system quickly. we are good at doing that with younger guys. the reason tony plays almost the whole game in the playoffs is beacause none of our PGs have fresh legs and can score at all

tav1
06-02-2008, 05:44 PM
thats because we have sorry backups. if we have pargo or duhon or chalmers that might happen at first but we will have them adjusted to the system quickly. we are good at doing that with younger guys. the reason tony plays almost the whole game in the playoffs is beacause none of our PGs have fresh legs and can score at all

There are other ways to address a back up point. Remember, if the Spurs draft a swing it with eye toward replacing Bowen in the next year or two. There is no need to replace Parker. Parker's departure isn't imminent. Batum is a much better pick than Chalmers. If not Batum, than one of the three SGs, Lee, Rush, or CDR.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Tony plays almost the whole game because he is good. The backup point guard position isn't a necessity when you have Tony Parker starting. And Manu and Barry can also play the 1 spot. Drafting a point guard will be only for the future, not for next season.

Reckless28
06-02-2008, 05:47 PM
other than parker i don't think young players get a chance to play with coach pop.

team slovenia: rasho, beno
team argentina: manu, fab
team france: tony, mahinmi, batum?

SenorSpur
06-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Tony plays almost the whole game because he is good. The backup point guard position isn't a necessity when you have Tony Parker starting. And Manu and Barry can also play the 1 spot. Drafting a point guard will be only for the future, not for next season.

As players get older their minutes should be conserved. Just because Tony's young doesn't mean he should play the entire game. Even though he sucked for most of the time he was here, Beno did allow Pop to spell Tony for a bit. A backup PG IS a priority, but not before getting the potential starting swingman. Besides the Spurs can pickup a backup PG in either the 2nd round or from teams that have a surplus (i.e. Memphis)

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 06:17 PM
there are plenty of good swingmen in the free agent list too. and if we draft a swing we shouldnt draft batum we should get rush or CDR

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 06:18 PM
In order:
1. Batum
2. Douglas-Roberts
3. Rush

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 06:19 PM
1. Douglas Roberts
2. Rush
3. Lee

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 06:24 PM
This is a potential "Tiago Splitter Draft" situation.

Guy has been on the radar for a while, but all the luster has worn off him as a draft prospect. He's athletic, but can't jump out of the gym. He does a few things well, but nothing great. He played solid but not great in the Euroleague.

I think there's a chance that guys like Bill Walker and CDR move up draft boards and this guy quietly slips until all the sudden....he sits there at #26. Spurs would be fools not to take him.

Of course, he could also get picked up in the teens.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Batum will probably do the same thing splitter is doin to us now

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Spurs shouldn't draft for immediate need. Even if Batum is a couple years off from contributing, there's no reason to pick someone like CDR ahead of him.

Spurs should draft talent and use free agency to get help at a need position.

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Batum will probably do the same thing splitter is doin to us now

Spurs wouldn't make the same mistake twice. They'd bring him over and send him to the D-League. Imagine Batum and Mahinmi on the Toros together....sick.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Spurs shouldn't draft for immediate need. Even if Batum is a couple years off from contributing, there's no reason to pick someone like CDR ahead of him.

I agree CDR is better but we do need him for immediate need thats why we will probably draft a swing

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Batum is gonna be a free agent in Europe. He's not under any contract.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 06:31 PM
and then someone in europe offers him 8 mil while we offer him 700k

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 06:32 PM
That was just 2 scenarios. Doesn't mean it's gonna happen with every single European in the future.

Magic_Johnson
06-02-2008, 06:32 PM
and then someone in europe offers him 8 mil while we offer him 700k

he said he will be in the nba next year

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 06:34 PM
splitter did too

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 06:34 PM
I agree CDR is better but we do need him for immediate need thats why we will probably draft a swing

Not sure why all the love for CDR....seems pretty average to me. Kind of like Aaron Afflalo last year. He's primarily a slashing guard, but he doesn't have the bulk or athleticism to be as effective on the pro level.

Taking Batum over that guy is a no-brainer.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Not sure why all the love for CDR....seems pretty average to me. Kind of like Aaron Afflalo last year. He's primarily a slashing guard, but he doesn't have the bulk or athleticism to be as effective on the pro level.

Taking Batum over that guy is a no-brainer.

batum is surely no more than average

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 06:36 PM
splitter did too

Batum isn't Splitter, because there's no way he gets a "superstar" deal for an amount greatly above the rookie scale. He's not that productive for his team.

timvp
06-02-2008, 06:39 PM
You're not addressing the main point, however. You assert Euros are taking a hit in reputation. As always it's a case-by-case basis. Gallinari has risen, Batum fallen. Otherwise there is a host of very young, unproven big men. Next year you'll have Ricky Rubio perhaps getting a top three slot. There are no trends here.You aren't following the draft very closely if you haven't noticed a Euro backlash. This year, if only Gallinari and Batum are picked, that'd be the fewest international selections in a first round since 1997. That's not an accident.

NBA GMs have always been fickle. There hasn't been a good international first round pick since 2004. Couple that with the growing difficulty in getting players out of Europe and those are the reasons why GMs aren't being as risky with international prospects. If Bargnani, Jianlian, Belinelli, Sene, etc. had actually produced early on, Gallinari would be a hotter name and Batum would be a lottery pick. On top of that, there would be other international players that GMs would want to take a flyer on.

This is definitely a down cycle in the NBA's confidence of the international player. But as is always the case, all it'll take is the next Nowitzki or Gasol or Parker to be selected in the first round and then GMs will once again be all over the international market.

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 06:40 PM

Except that he's 19 and has a MUCH higher ceiling than CDR, because of his athleticism and high basketball IQ.

CDR is most likely an average NBA player when he first steps on the court and will remain as such throughout his career.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 06:40 PM

He's a long 2 that can slash and can shoot the 3. CDR can't shoot the 3.

tav1
06-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Batum isn't Splitter, because there's no way he gets a "superstar" deal for an amount greatly above the rookie scale. He's not that productive for his team.

Right.

My Board is something like this:

Batum
Lee/Rush/CDR
Speights

Trade out of the first, if not one of the above.

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 06:47 PM
You aren't following the draft very closely if you haven't noticed a Euro backlash. This year, if only Gallinari and Batum are picked, that'd be the fewest international selections in a first round since 1997. That's not an accident.

NBA GMs have always been fickle. There hasn't been a good international first round pick since 2004. Couple that with the growing difficulty in getting players out of Europe and those are the reasons why GMs aren't being as risky with international prospects. If Bargnani, Jianlian, Belinelli, Sene, etc. had actually produced early on, Gallinari would be a hotter name and Batum would be a lottery pick. On top of that, there would be other international players that GMs would want to take a flyer on.

This is definitely a down cycle in the NBA's confidence of the international player. But as is always the case, all it'll take is the next Nowitzki or Gasol or Parker to be selected in the first round and then GMs will once again be all over the international market.

"Down Cycle" is a relative term. The International market was GROSSLY overvalued based on the success of a few in the early decade, so you coincidentally had Darko over Melo and cases like that.

Now that there have been a few busts (just as there are on the US side...hello Kwame!), it forces the GMs to take a harder look at the player.

Bottom Line: For a while, the notion was that they were teaching players basketball fundamentals in Europe and that their players were just more talented. Turns out that was mostly just hype.

I agree with Body that it's done on a case-by-case basis.

SenorSpur
06-02-2008, 06:48 PM
You aren't following the draft very closely if you haven't noticed a Euro backlash. This year, if only Gallinari and Batum are picked, that'd be the fewest international selections in a first round since 1997. That's not an accident.

This Splitter thing stinks of the highest order. It's what I've said all along - never put all your talent acquisition eggs into the same basket. As a result the Spurs only have Ian to show for last 6 drafts.

If RC and Pop are smart, they, too, will rethink their "all-Euro, all-the-time" draft strategy.

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Oh and timvp, I wouldn't necessarily count out guys like Ibaka, Tomic or Ajinca. Could be the fewest since '97...could being the operative word.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 06:49 PM
I agree PHAT TONY, Ibaka and Ajinca are two to look out for.

timvp
06-02-2008, 06:58 PM
"Down Cycle" is a relative term. The International market was GROSSLY overvalued based on the success of a few in the early decade, so you coincidentally had Darko over Melo and cases like that.

Now that there have been a few busts (just as there are on the US side...hello Kwame!), it forces the GMs to take a harder look at the player.

Bottom Line: For a while, the notion was that they were teaching players basketball fundamentals in Europe and that their players were just more talented. Turns out that was mostly just hype.

I agree with Body that it's done on a case-by-case basis.I don't see where you are disagreeing with what I said. As you said, for a while NBA teams were hyping (overhyping in most cases) international players. Now that hyping has simmered down. That change in evaluation is what I'm talking about.

A lot of Euro scouts claim Gallinari is an even better prospect than Bargnani was at the same age. But now you don't hear near as much hype surrounding Gallinari ... due to teams actually doing more scouting and looking closer instead of just thinking and hoping he's going to be Dirk Jr. just because he's from Europe.

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 07:03 PM
I don't see where you are disagreeing with what I said. As you said, for a while NBA teams were hyping (overhyping in most cases) international players. Now that hyping has simmered down. That change in evaluation is what I'm talking about.

A lot of Euro scouts claim Gallinari is an even better prospect than Bargnani was at the same age. But now you don't hear near as much hype surrounding Gallinari ... due to teams actually doing more scouting and looking closer instead of just thinking and hoping he's going to be Dirk Jr. just because he's from Europe.

See where you're going with it....but he's still going to be a top 10 (maybe top 5) pick. I think Ricky Rubio will get the hype because he may be as good as Derrick Rose.

Guess it just sounded like you were saying that being and International player actually de-valued their stock. I think more in line with Body that now it's a case by case basis.

Could be arguing semantics....

Mr. Body
06-02-2008, 07:22 PM

If there was a point where unrealistic expectations for foreigners busted it was the drafting of Fran Vasquez by Orlando, some years gone by now. Otherwise there has been no great change in expectations. It's widely seen that the current generation of Euro-talents has been tapped out, hence a lack of top prospects; meanwhile the ground is shifting in Europe and remaining there is more lucrative and perhaps more competitive. None of this indicates a tremendous loss of confidence.

Bargnani wasn't a great player, but Kwame Brown was also drafted #1 and Olowakandi, too. This is all strictly a case-by-case basis. If there were more decent international players, they'd be fighting for first round spots, too. Or are you saying Nathan Jawai would be a lottery pick two years ago? I think not. Instead you have Ibaka and Ajinca as potential late first rounders for no other reason than potential. They may have the same potential as Javale McGee (who will slide) or Speights, they may not. Perhaps Saer-Sene doesn't get picked way up the board or Korolev way up the board nowadays, but that remains to be seen. We can only judge by the players available and where they're sticking. The fact remains players of all stripes - domestic and foreign - get overrated and underrated in much the same way. GMs do not look at players in universal terms. They often get things wrong (who wouldn't?) but not for those reasons.

Case in point this year. Batum, if he falls to the Spurs, will likely have been underrated. Gallinari, as he's somewhere in the top 8, is overrated. But so too were Corey Brewer and Joakim Noah last year and Patrick O'Bryant before that. Case-by-case.

Mr. Body
06-02-2008, 07:26 PM
See where you're going with it....but he's still going to be a top 10 (maybe top 5) pick. I think Ricky Rubio will get the hype because he may be as good as Derrick Rose.

Guess it just sounded like you were saying that being and International player actually de-valued their stock. I think more in line with Body that now it's a case by case basis.

Could be arguing semantics....

I think we're all saying the same thing, just putting emphasis on different places. I doubt teams will discount players exclusively because they are foreign - and I am saying teams will continue to overrate certain foreign prospects, same as any player. Now, however, the money situation will alter the landscape in certain circumstances. The Splitter situation may send shockwaves through future late first rounds.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 07:27 PM

then we shouldnt draft him

A.H 21-50
06-02-2008, 07:49 PM

Seems like you had never watch batum playing ?
it's because he's a foreigner or something else you don't like him

the guy looks good , he will be in nba next year and will not drop to no.26 pick

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Seems like you had never watch batum playing ?
it's because he's a foreigner or something else you don't like him

the guy looks good , he will be in nba next year and will not drop to no.26 pick

he's not bad i would just rather us pick cdr, rush, or mario

Mr. Body
06-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Batum would be a first rate pick. He'd easily be twice as athletic as anyone on the team, exception Mahinmi. He'd be a work to chisel, but has so many tools already, plus what seems to be a great attitude.

Pick him above anybody if he's still there.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 07:58 PM
we need someone to contribute right away

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 07:59 PM

That Parker kid wasn't much at 19 either....maybe the Spurs shouldn't have drafted him. :rolleyes

Mr.Bottomtooth

Batum can do that.

A.H 21-50
he's not bad i would just rather us pick cdr, rush, or mario

I will pick him over Chalmers with no hesitation , but for CDR and rush i saw them couple of times and i don't know if they have the potential of batum

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Batum can do that.

He better. He just doesnt seem like the player to do that but i will watch more of him

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 08:00 PM

That's what free agency is for...

I don't see any instant contributors that are likely to be around when the Spurs pick. And in the absence of instant contributors, draft talent.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 08:01 PM
He better. He just doesnt seem like the player to do that but i will watch more of him

How does he not seem like that?

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 08:01 PM
That's what free agency is for...

I don't see any instant contributors that are likely to be around when the Spurs pick. And in the absence of instant contributors, draft talent.

If thats how it is then we should draft chalmers and have him be the backup PG

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Oh and FWIW, Rush seems like the only guy to be a solid to good player with the potential to contribute right away.

CDR is overrated, IMO.

And Chalmers needs to make the transition to PG, because he's not a finished product.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 08:02 PM

That case can easily be made for Batum.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Oh and FWIW, Rush seems like the only guy to be a solid to good player with the potential to contribute right away.

CDR is overrated, IMO.

And Chalmers needs to make the transition to PG, because he's not a finished product.

True rush would be better than CDR

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 08:03 PM

Spurs have Tony Parker at PG for the next four years. Who do they have at SF?

Spurs' long-term focus should be on the wing if they draft a "potential" type player.

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 08:04 PM
True rush would be better than CDR

But I don't think Rush will last to the end of the first.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Ive seen plenty of mock drafts that have us getting him and even us passing him but u might be right. who knows. we passed up carl landry, ramon sessions and glen davis for SPLITTER. real good pick

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Ive seen plenty of mock drafts that have us getting him and even us passing him but u might be right. who knows. we passed up carl landry, ramon sessions and glen davis for SPLITTER. real good pick

Splitter would've been, and possibly could still be a very solid NBA player.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guys you mentioned (especially Carl Landry) but it's not like the Spurs missed out on Gilbert Arenas or Carlos Boozer.

Obviously given hindsight the Spurs wouldn't have drafted Splitter, but at the time it was registered as a "steal".

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 08:14 PM
i wouldve been more happy with alondo tucker. thats who i wanted us to draft that night

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 08:15 PM

And the reason I say Rush doesn't get to the Spurs is that some team in the late teens or early 20's who isn't looking for the knockout, but instead a solid player, will see Rush as the perfect pick.

I'm hoping he goes "Josh Howard" and lasts to the end of the first, but I doubt it at this point.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 08:16 PM
we'll see hopefully those teams make mistakes just like the 10-15 teams who missed out on landry

mystargtr34
06-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Well the new Mock has him going at 25 again to the Rockets... dont the Rockets need big men... or will they be relying on Yao Ming to play a ful season and Dikembe Mutombo to be his backup. I think the Rockets might take Brook Lopez if he is there... or maybe even DeVon Hardin.

Besides, they have T-Mac and Battier and just traded away Rudy Gay last season to contend NOW.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 08:23 PM
i am sure they will take a big man rush is not for the rockets

Joe Schmoogins
06-02-2008, 08:26 PM
If all three of these guys were available, this is my preference:

Batum
CDR
Rush

Imagine the french trio of parker, batum, and mahinmi in a couple of years... talk about a crazy fast athletic team, and a fun team to watch. With any luck Splitter will join that core, and Ginobili and Duncan will still be studs. Sounds pretty sweet to me.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 08:29 PM
rush is better than cdr and ppl just like batum cus hes french

mystargtr34
06-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Rush and CDR dont have the spuerstar potential of Batum... and CDR is only a year older than him...

1. Batum
2. Rush
3. CDR
Ill shoot myself if theyre all off the board.

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Rush and CDR dont have the spuerstar potential of Batum... and CDR is only a year older than him...

1. Batum
2. Rush
3. CDR

Don't load the gun...

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 08:50 PM

1. Batum
2. Rush
3. CDR

if they are gone chalmers or dorsey both would be good picks

mystargtr34
06-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Well if they take Dorsey with a first rounder then the guns going off... hes a mid second rounder.

Mario Chalmers wouldnt be so bad...

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Well if they take Dorsey with a first rounder then the guns going off... hes a mid second rounder.

Mario Chalmers wouldnt be so bad...

Agreed there...Dorsey would be one of the few terrible choices the Spurs could make.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 09:07 PM
he would be great for a 2nd round pick. and if those guys are gone lee would be a good pick

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 09:09 PM
ppl just like batum cus hes french

And because he's a good player.

mystargtr34
06-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Courtney Lee could be nice to if CDR Rush and Batum are off the board.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 09:10 PM
And because he's a good player.

everyone mentions how we would have the french big 3... if he wasnt french not as many ppl would want him

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 09:11 PM
everyone mentions how we would have the french big 3... if he wasnt french not as many ppl would want him

Not everyone.
And the smart people would want him because he's good.

Mr. Body
06-02-2008, 09:14 PM

Right now I have:

Batum
CDR
Rush
Lee

In that order. The second two I'm unsure about.

I think a choice between two will be available to us.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 09:15 PM
I have :
Rush
CDR
Batum
Lee

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 09:15 PM
and dont forget MARIO!

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 09:16 PM
I doubt we take Chalmers with the #26, but then someone would've already taken him at #45.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 09:19 PM
It all depends on what pop and r.c. want and they suprise me every year in the draft

jesterbobman
06-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Rush
Batum
CDR
Lee

The top 2 may aswell be a tie. Rush is going to be able to contribute more now, which is important given our core trio is aging, but Batum has a higher ceiling. If we got either of them, the pick is a success. Batum should be gone by 26, but someone always falls, and as a Euro he's a candidate(With the contracts stuff, and backlash after Darko et al.) With no Tiago, we can pretty much take best available which may well be him.

K-State Spur
06-02-2008, 09:32 PM

I'd put Courtney Lee just a notch below CDR, and ahead of both the Jayhawks.

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Not sold on CDR or Lee because their lack of size and athleticism scares me, even if they're "gamers".

I think I'd still put Rush ahead of Batum, but that one's probably a coin-toss. Not sure either will be on the board at #26. Oh, and I'm not sure what I'd do if Walker was on the board at the same time....probably take him over the other two.

Mr. Body
06-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Not sold on CDR or Lee because their lack of size and athleticism scares me, even if they're "gamers".

Are you thinking of Lee as a small forward? He's more perfectly a shooting guard, for which his size is fine. CDR may be more a SG as well (but is taller, not stronger).

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Are you thinking of Lee as a small forward? He's more perfectly a shooting guard, for which his size is fine. CDR may be more a SG as well (but is taller, not stronger).

No, looking at them both as SG. I'll keep my commentaries on both in their respective threads.

I'd like Batum over either though...to bring it back to thread topic.

K-State Spur
06-02-2008, 09:44 PM

I think I'd still put Rush ahead of Batum, but that one's probably a coin-toss. Not sure either will be on the board at #26. Oh, and I'm not sure what I'd do if Walker was on the board at the same time....probably take him over the other two.

CDR is a legit 6'6, and very long.

I wouldn't want to play him at the 4. But he is big/long enough to play either wing position depending on who else is on the floor.

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 09:48 PM
CDR is a legit 6'6, and very long.

I wouldn't want to play him at the 4. But he is big/long enough to play either wing position depending on who else is on the floor.

Was talking about his slight frame and so-so athleticism. You responded in the CDR thread and I guess we'll see....just not sold on him personally.

To be honest, there's a ton of prospects I wouldn't mind the Spurs picking up in Rd 1....and Batum is definitely one of them. See how I kept it on thread topic there.:lol

K-State Spur
06-02-2008, 09:56 PM
I like enough players in this draft that I expect at least 1 or 2 will fall to us.

However, that likely only leads to me getting excited on draft day after the Rockets make their selection and __________ is still on the board. This is - of course - immediately followed by a Spurs selection that makes me say WTF???

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 09:57 PM
I like enough players in this draft that I expect at least 1 or 2 will fall to us.

However, that likely only leads to me getting excited on draft day after the Rockets make their selection and __________ is still on the board. This is - of course - immediately followed by a Spurs selection that makes me say WTF???

I say that too

Mr. Body
06-02-2008, 10:04 PM

Serge Ibaka!

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Ibaka is not bad but he could put on some weight and muscle

Gino2882
06-03-2008, 10:04 AM
If you watch some highlights of Nico Batum it is hard to not see what he could bring to the Spurs. He is legit 6'8 and can finish around the rim. Very athletic and lanky and a willing defender.

I would enjoy this pick.

Mr. Body
06-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Gino - yeah, his athleticism is ridiculous. And a totally smooth, unconcious athlete. It's like he jumps like a normal person but gets up twice as high. Also seems to be pretty fast.

A.H 21-50
06-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Gino - yeah, his athleticism is ridiculous. And a totally smooth, unconcious athlete. It's like he jumps like a normal person but gets up twice as high. Also seems to be pretty fast.

Exactly imo he can brings us more than a lot of others players , plus he have pro experience in france and in europe with le mans

He was projected as a top10 last year , if the spurs wants him they will have to move up in the draft

mystargtr34
06-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Wasnt he projected as the top pick along with Rudy Gay coming out of high school in 2006 :lol

But yea he as been projected as high as Top 5 previously ... and i definately think hes a top 10 talent in this draft.

AA2120
06-03-2008, 03:41 PM
im sold on him as long as he comes over right away

spursfan98
06-03-2008, 03:43 PM
im sold on him as long as he comes over right away

EVERYONE LIKES THIS GUY CUS HES A FRENCHY!!! MARIO!!!!! OR RUSH!!!

AA2120
06-03-2008, 03:48 PM
i think there is alot of good talent in this draft...anyone of these guys would be a good improvement to our bench

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-03-2008, 03:50 PM
EVERYONE LIKES THIS GUY CUS HES A FRENCHY!!! MARIO!!!!! OR RUSH!!!I'd like for you to show us just 5 people who have said to draft this guy for the sole reason that he's French.

spursfan98
06-03-2008, 03:58 PM
I'd like for you to show us just 5 people who have said to draft this guy for the sole reason that he's French.

Look at how many ppl are like "this guy is so good, oh and then we would have 3 french guys in tony, ian, and nikolas!!

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-03-2008, 04:17 PM
No, I'll let you show me.

spursfan98
06-03-2008, 04:19 PM
no im too lazy and i saw some earlier but u know ppl like him for that when theres other guys equally good and possibly better that r from america and they prefer the frenchy

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-03-2008, 04:21 PM
No I don't. I don't know of any people that want Batum for the sole reason that he's French. But then again, I only pay attention to the members you can rely on for a good take.

SenorSpur
06-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Well the new Mock has him going at 25 again to the Rockets... dont the Rockets need big men... or will they be relying on Yao Ming to play a ful season and Dikembe Mutombo to be his backup. I think the Rockets might take Brook Lopez if he is there... or maybe even DeVon Hardin.

Besides, they have T-Mac and Battier and just traded away Rudy Gay last season to contend NOW.

Several versions of the various mock drafts have listed Rush as going anywhere from the middle-teens to PHX to Orlando @ 22, to HOU @ 25.

However I admit, the more I read about Batum, the more I'm really warming up to this guy.

spursfan98
06-03-2008, 04:24 PM
i wouldnt mind us takin him but there is better

AFBlue
06-03-2008, 04:49 PM

Says the dude with a Frenchman in his avatar....

K-State Spur
06-03-2008, 05:13 PM

since - of all the names that we're discussing - you chose to focus on those two, gotta wonder if you don't like the guys just because they're jayhawks.

note: everybody likes batum because he is a FREAK athlete and would fit the mold of a "long 3" that this board has been wanting for 5 years...

NicolasBatum
06-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Draftez moi, vous ne le regretterez pas !
Et en plus je vous assure que je ne suis pas en contacte avec Tau .

mystargtr34
06-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Who if we have 10 Frenchman in the team.

The point is

Batum > Rush
Batum > CDR

nil.ball
06-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Please draft Batum, and we will trade with you after two years.

Steve Novak+2nd Rnd+Cash for the rights to Batum ftw!!

Thank you Spurs for Luis 3.0.

14dave
06-04-2008, 10:34 AM
I saw Batum play several time and I can tell you he is exactly what we need!!
He is so talented and I think he will have a great NBA career! He wants to play in NBA immediatly after his draft.
If we can take him, we have to...

TypicalSpursHater
06-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Please draft Batum, and we will trade with you after two years.

Steve Novak+2nd Rnd+Cash for the rights to Batum ftw!!

Thank you Spurs for Luis 3.0.

:lol

spursfan98
06-04-2008, 02:02 PM
NE Patriots nba mock draft has Batum picked at 7 by LA Clippers.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2008/04/2008-nba-mock-draft.html

angelbelow
06-04-2008, 03:53 PM
its possible, clippers immediate future doesnt look great at the small forward position. They are relatively young esp if brand and maggette walk. Livingston, thornton, batum, kaman is a pretty good core to build around.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Draftez moi, vous ne le regretterez pas !
Et en plus je vous assure que je ne suis pas en contacte avec Tau .

Wee. :toast

Bruno
06-04-2008, 04:31 PM
He sucked ass today in French league.
Please Nicolas, continue to play like crap and hurt your draft stock. :downspin:

SPURSGOAT
06-04-2008, 04:36 PM
he won't fall to us.. and if he does will we have to wait for him for a few seasons to come over and potentially lose him like with Splitter!?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-04-2008, 04:38 PM
He's not under contract. He's said will come to the NBA.

SPURSGOAT
06-04-2008, 04:40 PM
He's not under contract. He's said will come to the NBA.

sweet! still won't fall to us... :bang

Bruno
06-04-2008, 04:42 PM
AFAIK, he is still under contract and has a $300K NBA buyout.
All Euros aren't the same mold and there is no Splitter-like troubles with Batum.

colargol
06-05-2008, 02:52 PM
He sucked ass today in French league.
Please Nicolas, continue to play like crap and hurt your draft stock. :downspin:

:toast:lol

Mr. Body
06-05-2008, 03:01 PM
NE Patriots nba mock draft has Batum picked at 7 by LA Clippers.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2008/04/2008-nba-mock-draft.html

This is completely unreasonable to me. Not a huge need, not the kind of player Dunleavy necessarily likes, and not after blowing it on an earlier international small forward in Korolev.

That whole mock draft is a big tub of failure. Barely 1 pick in 5 makes any sense.

objective
06-06-2008, 06:04 AM
fwiw, Batum has the same agent as Mahinmi, whom the Spurs seem to get along with very well.

one can dream . . .

Harry Callahan
06-06-2008, 07:48 AM
Splitter would've been, and possibly could still be a very solid NBA player.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guys you mentioned (especially Carl Landry) but it's not like the Spurs missed out on Gilbert Arenas or Carlos Boozer.

Obviously given hindsight the Spurs wouldn't have drafted Splitter, but at the time it was registered as a "steal".

If Splitter had been a sure fire cinch to come over, he would not have been available to the Spurs in the first place last year.

We just have to hope that he has a reasonable buyout in 2010 now and he wants to be an NBA player. Hopefully he will continue to improve. Too bad he wasn't taken with the 31st pick instead of the 28th.

Harry Callahan
06-06-2008, 08:00 AM
Could the Spurs be aggressive for once and just buy a #1 draft pick to make up for the 2007 screwup? They need bodies - preferably athletic ones.

Teams in Salary Cap hell might be interested. The Spurs need inexpense (rookie cap) immediate help to take advantage of the good years Duncan and Ginobili have left.

timvp
06-06-2008, 01:35 PM
I watched a scouting montage on Batum and I came away not too impressed. I've liked him but when you see him play extended minutes, he really doesn't have much skill to go with his athleticism. He also has a Boris Diaw level passiveness about him.

Batum is much more of a project that I thought he was. He's going to take two to three years to be ready. Can the Spurs really wait that long?

AFBlue
06-06-2008, 04:50 PM
I watched a scouting montage on Batum and I came away not too impressed. I've liked him but when you see him play extended minutes, he really doesn't have much skill to go with his athleticism. He also has a Boris Diaw level passiveness about him.

Batum is much more of a project that I thought he was. He's going to take two to three years to be ready. Can the Spurs really wait that long?

Athletic NBA-ready players don't usually last to the 26th pick in the draft. Unless the Spurs are willing to move up, maybe significantly, I'm not sure they'll be able to find a player that fits both categories in this draft.

And if the Spurs had to go with one or the other, I think I'd rather have the athlete who's a couple years off....but that's just me.

SenorSpur
06-06-2008, 05:08 PM
If Batum goes before Rush, that should bode well in the Spurs favor - unless, of course, they do decide to get aggressive and move up.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Nicolas Batum

Batum is still in the mix for the French title, with his team Le Mans currently tied at 1-1 in the semifinals against Roanne. He’s delivering some solid, albeit unspectacular performances, averaging 13 points, 3.7 rebounds and 5.7 assists in the playoffs. A 9-assist effort (in just 24 minutes) in the first game of the quarterfinals against Cholet stands out among his stat-lines, while he reportedly played excellent defense on Cholet’s star Nando de Colo.

Everybody is aware by now that you’re likely not getting a real star in Batum, a go-to guy to anchor a team. But at the same time, he’s just a more consistent stroke away from virtually guaranteeing to become an excellent role player for any team picking him in the draft.

If Le Mans loses in the semi-finals, there is a possibility Batum will come to Treviso for a private workout with NBA teams. Otherwise he will come to the States and begin criss-crossing the country. According to his agent, his will be staying in the draft regardless of where he’s projected to go.

link (http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/International-Blog/)

Bruno
06-08-2008, 11:57 AM

Thanks Nicolas for having against hurt your draft stock yesterday in your last game of the year.
Next step for you is to suck at The Treviso camp and in workouts.

Please Nicolas, I know you can do it. :)

tav1
06-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Batum is at #25 still in Ford's mock. Maybe he could slide into the 2nd round. This draft is Spur friendly.

tav1
06-09-2008, 01:47 PM
link (http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/International-Blog/)

I want those T-Wolves picks!

SPURSGOAT
06-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Please drop to us and please the FO do the right thing and jump on this guy...:downspin:

SenorSpur
06-09-2008, 01:55 PM
I'd love for the Spurs to have options when pick 26 rolls around. It would really be interesting to see what the Spurs would do if Rush, Batum, Walker and CDR were all available when they're turn came around. Just wishful thinking.

angelbelow
06-09-2008, 01:59 PM
i know the guys got great potential but hes flopping in the euro league right now. his main concerns are his agressiveness, whose to say that will ever change?

timvp
06-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Now that I think about it, Batum's game reminds me of Travis Outlaw mixed with Boris Diaw's passiveness. Good value at 26 but I fear that once he's ready to play, it's going to be about 2011.

Mr. Body
06-09-2008, 03:25 PM
i know the guys got great potential but hes flopping in the euro league right now. his main concerns are his agressiveness, whose to say that will ever change?

You have to hope the more open and athletic American game could draw him out, which it could. Problem is, that's not the Spurs' style.

Bruno
06-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Now that I think about it, Batum's game reminds me of Travis Outlaw mixed with Boris Diaw's passiveness.

I quite disagree with the Outlaw comparison. Batum is light year ahead of Outlaw when it comes to basketball IQ and feeling for the game.
Outlaw is an athlete, Batum is a player.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-09-2008, 03:27 PM
I feel like the Spurs need to get players who can help them now...not two or three years down the road...and that's IF the team can ever actually get them over here.

timvp
06-09-2008, 03:35 PM
I quite disagree with the Outlaw comparison. Batum is light year ahead of Outlaw when it comes to basketball IQ and feeling for the game.
Outlaw is an athlete, Batum is a player.Outlaw has turned the corner the last year or year and a half. He's no longer just a deer. But anyways, I meant Outlaw in that he's long, has a high release and he likes to shoot off the dribble. Outlaw is one of the few long players who shoots off the dribble with a high release. I can't think of another one off the top of my head.

Who would you compare him to and do you think he'd be helpful as a rookie or is he a player who needs a couple years of seasoning first? I've admittedly only seen about 30-40 minutes of footage of Batum. I'm assuming you've seen much more.

Bruno
06-09-2008, 04:00 PM
I can't find an accurate comparison. Maybe a mix of Hedo Turkoglu with a way worse jump shoot and a young Boris Diaw.

Batum isn't much more a longterm prospect than most other players in the draft. He has the same age than most of them and has played a lot in Euroleague where the level is higher than in NCAA. If he can improve his jump shoot this summer, I think he can be a productive rookie. He won't be a star but a solid glue guy.
If he works on his ballhandling and mindset, he can be an all star.

I'm really high on him. I don't know enough NCAA players to say Spurs should draft him ahead Rush, CDR or Walker but I'm sure that he will be a great pick.

timvp
06-09-2008, 04:12 PM
I can't find an accurate comparison. Maybe a mix of Hedo Turkoglu with a way worse jump shoot and a young Boris Diaw.

Batum isn't much more a longterm prospect than most other players in the draft. He has the same age than most of them and has played a lot in Euroleague where the level is higher than in NCAA. If he can improve his jump shoot this summer, I think he can be a productive rookie. He won't be a star but a solid glue guy.
If he works on his ballhandling and mindset, he can be an all star.

I'm really high on him. I don't know enough NCAA players to say Spurs should draft him ahead Rush, CDR or Walker but I'm sure that he will be a great pick.Fair enough. He do seems to have a little Turkoglu in his game. Good call. Even though Batum obviously isn't as good of a shooter, he does have a smoother stroke ... especially off the dribble.

I think Rush and CDR would help right away more than Batum. However, I'd say Batum and Walker are the two with the highest ceiling. And Batum is a much safer pick than Walker. If the Spurs can get their hands on one of those four, I'd be happy.

Budinger I like but more as a value pick. He doesn't exactly fit but he's awesome value at 26. Lee I still think is a pretty good pick but I think he's becoming my sixth out of six choices.

Throw in Chalmers and there are right now seven perimeter players that would be decent picks for the Spurs at 26 that could all be available. Now we just have to hope that not too many players pull out of the draft. Right now, the crop in the late first round looks better than it has in years :tu

Mr. Body
06-09-2008, 04:56 PM
The Spurs should have a decent pick out of a few of those guys (seven) at their slot. If you run mocks a few times at least a handful come out at the end there, at least 2-3.

The Franchise
06-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Outlaw has turned the corner the last year or year and a half. He's no longer just a deer. But anyways, I meant Outlaw in that he's long, has a high release and he likes to shoot off the dribble. Outlaw is one of the few long players who shoots off the dribble with a high release. I can't think of another one off the top of my head.

Who would you compare him to and do you think he'd be helpful as a rookie or is he a player who needs a couple years of seasoning first? I've admittedly only seen about 30-40 minutes of footage of Batum. I'm assuming you've seen much more.

A lot of scouts are comparing his style to Rudy Gay.

Buddy Holly
06-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Could this work?

Oberto or Bonner
26th Pick
Cash

for

Azubuike
14th Pick

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Could this work?

Oberto or Bonner
26th Pick
Cash

for

Azubuike
14th Pick

That can work, but the Warriors would be fuckin stupid to do that.
They have Azubuike and the 14th pick. They dump both of them for either Bonner or Oberto and the 26th? No way they accept that.

Buddy Holly
06-09-2008, 07:37 PM
GS is stockpiled at 2 guard. Don Nelson would love Oberto's passing or Bonner's big man shooting to spread the floor in his offense. GS probably doesn't want to draft anyone that low because they'd cost more. At 26 they can still get a good player but at a lower cost.

timvp
06-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Could this work?

Oberto or Bonner
26th Pick
Cash

for

Azubuike
14th PickTake out the 14th pick from the equation and then maybe.

Buddy Holly
06-09-2008, 07:46 PM
You don't see GS moving down for cap reasons?

Buddy Holly
06-09-2008, 07:49 PM
I'm also hearing that a combo of Brandan Wright and the No. 14 pick are available if they can get a veteran big man back in return or move up in the draft.

- Chad Ford (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=draftnotes080603)

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-09-2008, 07:54 PM
I wouldn't mind switching Azubuike with Wright in that deal.
Then go after JR or Barnes.

timvp
06-09-2008, 08:02 PM
- Chad Ford (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=draftnotes080603)Veteran Bigman != Oberto or Bonner.

Oberto doesn't fit their style of play at all and someone would have to be crazy to give up the 14th pick in the draft for Bonner. Maybe take him in a sign-and-trade to get value for one of their free agents, but even that isn't too likely.

Buddy Holly
06-09-2008, 08:06 PM
What about s&t KT instead of Oberto.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-09-2008, 08:11 PM
If Azubuike comes at the price of losing Kurt, then no thanks.

yavozerb
06-09-2008, 08:11 PM
I see Denver possibly moving down cause I really do not see ty lawson going to anybody between 20-26...Cash and a draft pick would get this done. But, like we have said in the past, Spurs are not going anywhere but #26. the #32 pick is what seems to catch my attention and how the spurs could get this pick?

Buddy Holly
06-09-2008, 08:12 PM
I wouldn't mind switching Azubuike with Wright in that deal.
Then go after JR or Barnes.

Then we'd be clogged again at the 2.

Manu, Azu, JR or Barnes and Barry.

Sway
06-09-2008, 08:20 PM
If Azubuike comes at the price of losing Kurt, then no thanks.

Dude you cant be serious! We talking about practice...oopps I mean Kurt. If you get a shot at getting Azu you take it.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Dude you cant be serious! We talking about practice...oopps I mean Kurt. If you get a shot at getting Azu you take it.

Missing out on Kelenna will suck, but losing Kurt will suck even more. There's no one in free agency with Kurt's skills.

Russ
06-09-2008, 08:54 PM
From videos I've seen, Batum looks like he may be the best international prospect since Ginobili.

I remember seeing Manu on the small screen dashing past defenders for dunks. Sceptics said, "They play no defense on those clips. They have no NBA athletes. He'll never even get close to the rack in the NBA."

This guy looks the same -- he can go to the rack and shoot.

It would great if the Spurs could pick him up. But only if they can sign him and put him on a roster (even if in Austin) immediately.

AFBlue
06-09-2008, 09:05 PM
The only way I see Batum on the Spurs is if he miraculously falls to them. He seems like another guy getting hype from the SpursTalk crowd that hasn't been getting much buzz from the Spurs side of the house.

Similar to Splitter, I think they'd take him if he fell....but I don't think they're anticipating him falling to them at this point.

SPURSGOAT
06-09-2008, 09:08 PM
He might fall to us... the latest Chad Ford mock has him being taken at 25 to Houston... maybe the Spurs should try and move up a couple of spots in the draft...

AFBlue
06-09-2008, 09:12 PM
He might fall to us... the latest Chad Ford mock has him being taken at 25 to Houston... maybe the Spurs should try and move up a couple of spots in the draft...

Ford is the only one of the three I check (DX and NBAdraft.net) that has him in the 20's. Not saying he won't fall to the Spurs, but I'll believe it when I see it.

And the main point of my statement is that I'm not sure the Spurs like Batum enough to move up in the draft and get him, but they'll take him if he falls to them.

bigdog
06-09-2008, 09:49 PM
this guy has potential, but I don't think he's NBA ready just yet, and we don't need a guy that will need to develop.

SenorSpur
06-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Ford is the only one of the three I check (DX and NBAdraft.net) that has him in the 20's. Not saying he won't fall to the Spurs, but I'll believe it when I see it.

And the main point of my statement is that I'm not sure the Spurs like Batum enough to move up in the draft and get him, but they'll take him if he falls to them.

Because of the depth of available swingman, the Spurs should be in a good position to choose between Batum, Rush, Walker and/or CDR. They shouldn't have to move up at all - unless, of course, they've honed in a specific swingman target.

angelbelow
06-10-2008, 01:04 AM
Because of the depth of available swingman, the Spurs should be in a good position to choose between Batum, Rush, Walker and/or CDR. They shouldn't have to move up at all - unless, of course, they've honed in a specific swingman target.

i think they want rush the most..

Spurs Brazil
06-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Nicolas Batum, G/F, France
Batum, who once was considered a potential lottery pick before a so-so year in France, played in a game Monday in an effort to create some draft buzz. He shot 6-for-18, and 1-for-7 from 3. I don't think that was the impression he was hoping to make.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftNotes-080610&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fdraft2008%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumni st%3dford_chad%26page%3dDraftNotes-080610

SPURSGOAT
06-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Nicolas Batum, G/F, France
Batum, who once was considered a potential lottery pick before a so-so year in France, played in a game Monday in an effort to create some draft buzz. He shot 6-for-18, and 1-for-7 from 3. I don't think that was the impression he was hoping to make.

Woohoo! Hope this hurts his stock even more so he drops to us at 26. :toast

Pistons < Spurs
06-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Player Evaluations

Nicolas Batum

Jonathan Givony, DraftExpress

Batum started off his first and only game at the Reebok Eurocamp in very strong fashion, hitting a spot-up 3-pointer right off the bat. He handled the ball a bit in transition, grabbed some rebounds and went coast to coast, and played very aggressive defense. His excellent pull-up jumper from mid-range was falling for him at a really nice rate, and he quickly racked up double digit points early in the second quarter.

As the game went on and things got slower and more congested in the half-court, though, Batum’s well-known flaws started to show. He struggled trying to create his own shot from the perimeter off more than a few dribbles, and then began to settle excessively for his long-range jumper, which just wasn’t falling today (1/7 from behind the arc). He looked visibly frustrated after being blocked emphatically at the rim by Serge Ibaka and even missed a dunk at one point, as he surely was putting a lot of pressure on himself knowing that this was going to be the only game he’ll play in.

It’s pretty obvious that at this point in his development (as we’ve stated before) Batum is not going to be any type of go-to guy for any team he plays for, and thus needs a great point guard and a real system to take advantage of his excellent tools, things you aren’t going to typically find in this type of setting.

At the end of the day, teams know what Batum brings to the table as a prospect (length, athleticism, tremendous versatility, a huge upside) so this probably won’t affect his stock that much either way. He certainly deserves props for not being afraid to come out here and show himself, and the thing that was widely considered to be his biggest weakness—aggressiveness—was surely not an issue today.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2008-Reebok-Eurocamp-in-Treviso,-Days-Three-and-Four-2921/

SenorSpur
06-10-2008, 08:46 PM
If Rush will indeed be gone, hopefully this guy will be on the board

Mr. Body
06-10-2008, 08:54 PM
If Rush will indeed be gone, hopefully this guy will be on the board

Their draft positions have certainly swapped, it seems.

picnroll
06-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Seems like every year there are a bunch of SG and SF drafted with the tag line of "waiting for his game to catch up with his athleticism" and less than one in ten does the game ever catch up.

Marcus Bryant
06-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Seems like every year there are a bunch of SG and SF drafted with the tag line of "waiting for his game to catch up with his athleticism" and less than one in ten does the game ever catch up.

The Spurs basically need some athletes who can run the break with TP and, yes, hit a few shots. I think you can find that skilled scoring swingman in free agency.

bigdog
06-11-2008, 06:05 AM
The Spurs basically need some athletes who can run the break with TP and, yes, hit a few shots. I think you can find that skilled scoring swingman in free agency.

Finally someone who agrees with me.

AFBlue
06-11-2008, 09:17 PM
I read up some more on this kid and really started to like him. Since he hasn't "wowed" anyone with his exhibition play and his "ceiling" has been questioned of late, I think there's a slight chance he slips to the Spurs....though I'm not holding my breath.

At this point I'd have to put him at #2 behind Brandon Rush, though I think the Spurs may have Walker (now my #3) ahead of both...just a hunch.

Mr. Body
06-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Why do you think Walker is on the Spurs' list ahead of Rush or Batum? His on-court issues with losing his cool and focus alone put a big question mark by his name.

ducks
06-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Why do you think Walker is on the Spurs' list ahead of Rush or Batum? His on-court issues with losing his cool and focus alone put a big question mark by his name.

who has told you who is on the spurs list?

Mr. Body
06-11-2008, 11:16 PM
who has told you who is on the spurs list?

Excuse me, adults are talking. I was asking this gentleman why he thinks Walker would be on the list ahead of others. I await his reply.

ducks
06-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Excuse me, adults are talking. I was asking this gentleman why he thinks Walker would be on the list ahead of others. I await his reply.

you are not acting like an adult:downspin:

K-State Spur
06-11-2008, 11:32 PM

Compared to Rush, Walker's a better athlete and has the ability to create his own shot.

He doesn't have as good a jumpshot and is not an equal defender (although both tend to lose their focus on that end of the floor), but he does bring some skills to the table that Rush does not.

Also his ceiling is WAY higher.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Compared to Rush, Walker's a better athlete and has the ability to create his own shot.

He doesn't have as good a jumpshot and is not an equal defender (although both tend to lose their focus on that end of the floor), but he does bring some skills to the table that Rush does not.

Also his ceiling is WAY higher.

So is the possibility of knee injury.