06-01-2008, 11:22 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/mario_chalmers.jpg

Full Name: Almario Vernard Chalmers
Position: Guard
Height/Weight: 6-1 / 190
Birthdate: May 19, 1986
High School: Bartlett HS
College: Kansas

NBA (http://www.nba.com/draft2008/profiles/MarioChalmers.html)
NBADraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/mariochalmers.html)
DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Mario-Chalmers-278/)

ducks
06-01-2008, 11:24 PM
not thrilled with his assist to turnover ratio
struggles scoring to

JamStone
06-01-2008, 11:36 PM
His assist-turnover is deceptive because he played off the ball for the majority of the time while Robinson ran the point. But, Chalmers has proven that he can handle the point, especially late in a close game. His scoring is fine considering he was on a team that was stacked with capable scorers. He was just behind Brandon Rush in scoring. Plus, he's a clutch shot maker.

I think he'll make a great back-up point guard for a number of teams. I think he's a slightly better version of Chris Duhon.

ducks
06-01-2008, 11:37 PM
thanks for your post jamstone

50 cent
06-01-2008, 11:49 PM
He would be a nice backup PG for Tony.

K-State Spur
06-02-2008, 12:20 AM
His assist-turnover is deceptive because he played off the ball for the majority of the time while Robinson ran the point. But, Chalmers has proven that he can handle the point, especially late in a close game. His scoring is fine considering he was on a team that was stacked with capable scorers. He was just behind Brandon Rush in scoring. Plus, he's a clutch shot maker.

I think he'll make a great back-up point guard for a number of teams. I think he's a slightly better version of Chris Duhon.

I still don't like him running the point - but he is clutch (even before the championship game brought it to everyone's attention).

IMHO, his best asset would be his ability to defend Chris Paul/Deron Williams/Steve Nash. He's got really quick feet and is also strong and long for his height - despite being a classic tweener.

kobyz
06-02-2008, 12:22 AM
the important part, he is great defender, can be good backup, but we need a swingman in the first round.

Avitus1
06-02-2008, 12:56 AM
We need someone that can make their own shots...

Blackjack
06-02-2008, 01:26 AM
He's a gamer, and I'd love to see the Spurs pick him up.

He'd be able to play next to Tony on occassion with his shooting, and help ignite our break with the way he plays passing lanes.

I've just liked(whether it's McDonald's All-American/All-Star games, or at KU) that he's always seemed to stand out or play well with good talent. His game might actually turn out to be better suited for the N.B.A. with the way the league has been going.

Horry For 3!
06-02-2008, 04:21 AM
nbadraft.net has the Spurs picking Chalmers

mountainballer
06-02-2008, 04:36 AM

I don't see the Duhon comparison. Duhon is a traditional PG, who can defend well, but doesn't have any scoring skills.
Chalmers is far from the traditional PG, he has much of the combo guard play, who are in great demand in todays NBA.
he could be a Delonte West, which would be a nice scenario as back up for Tony, but also alongside him for some stretches.

urunobili
06-02-2008, 08:17 AM
i like this guy... plus the Spurs should be looking for a swingman in free agency not in the draft...

bigdog
06-02-2008, 10:23 AM
I read on a link to a Kansas newspaper that DraftExpress was looking into a rumor that the Spurs supposedly promised Chalmers they would take him if he fell to their spot in the first round.

WildcardManu
06-02-2008, 10:27 AM
I read on a link to a Kansas newspaper that DraftExpress was looking into a rumor that the Spurs supposedly promised Chalmers they would take him if he fell to their spot in the first round.

Word?

K-State Spur
06-02-2008, 10:48 AM

I would highly doubt that. Chalmers' stock is never going to be higher, so it makes little sense for him to pull his name out of the draft. As a result of that, it makes little sense to promise him anything.

bigdog
06-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Word?

Yeah. I wish I woulda saved the link. I'm looking for it right now but can't find it. Supposedly the Spurs FO denied it, but of course someone would deny it when the NBA season isn't over yet.

I think it would be pretty sweet if we could get this dude. Some mock drafts have him going in the 25-30 range.

Bruno
06-02-2008, 10:56 AM
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2008/may/30/camp_hasnt_helped_jayhawks/?mens_basketball

Marcus Bryant
06-02-2008, 11:01 AM

Makes sense. RC's buddy is the HC of KU.

K-State Spur
06-02-2008, 11:13 AM
But why promise something to a guy who's not going to leave the draft anyways?

Picking Chalmers wouldn't be the worst thing in the world - but it makes no sense to extend him any promises. That's a lose/lose.

j-6
06-02-2008, 11:22 AM
I would highly doubt that. Chalmers' stock is never going to be higher, so it makes little sense for him to pull his name out of the draft. As a result of that, it makes little sense to promise him anything.

Chalmers is overrated. People forget he was the top guard prospect in the country after high school. If Memphis hits more than one of of five free throws down the stretch Mario is playing Xbox with Sherron Collins in Lawrence instead of preparing to be drafted.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 12:34 PM
:tu He's gonna be good.

Mitch Cumsteen
06-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Even without the national championship heroics, Chalmers has always been a winner and has always been clutch. He would make a great Spur. You could always pair him with Barry or Ginobili to alleviate his play making duties. He couldn't be a worse playmaker than Jacque Vaughan.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Can we please talk about players we actually have a chance at getting with our current picks?

I do like Mario and all, but like I said we won't have the lottery pick to get this kid.

Drafting Chalmers isn't out of the question. I do agree, that he'll probably be gone by our pick, but it isn't for sure as of now.

Darkwaters
06-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Can we please talk about players we actually have a chance at getting with our current picks?

I do like Mario and all, but like I said we won't have the lottery pick to get this kid.

Lottery pick? I think you're overstating his value significantly.

Mitch Cumsteen
06-02-2008, 01:21 PM

Draft Express has him going #5 in the SECOND round. He's definitely a possibility for the Spurs.
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2008/

j-6
06-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Even without the national championship heroics, Chalmers has always been a winner and has always been clutch. He would make a great Spur. You could always pair him with Barry or Ginobili to alleviate his play making duties. He couldn't be a worse playmaker than Jacque Vaughan.

Jacque Vaughn was a two time All-American that got drafted around the same spot. Most people had never even heard of Super Mario until he nailed that three.

ttdog
06-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Chad Ford has the Spurs picking Chalmers in the latest mock draft (dated Jun 2).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-080602

ECZ
06-02-2008, 02:05 PM
I like him alot....but we need a 2 or 3 guard with our first pick.

urunobili
06-02-2008, 02:11 PM
is this guy > Batum 4 the Spurs needs?

A.H 21-50
06-02-2008, 02:40 PM
is this guy > Batum 4 the Spurs needs?

IMO no , an athletic and long 2/3 is more important for me and batum will be a good fit

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 02:43 PM
I hope we pick him.
Chris Douglas Roberts, Wayne Ellington, or Jamont Gordon would be good too.

PLEASE NOT ANTE TOMIC OR ALEXIS AJINKA!!

He could be our backup PG while Vaughn sits his ass on the bench

bigdog
06-02-2008, 04:25 PM
I can definitely see the Spurs taking Chalmers.

If you think about it, the Spurs biggest need is a wing player that is ready to play NOW, and not 2 or 3 years down the road.

that's why I think they pick one up in free agency instead. If you draft a guy, you never know if they will be ready to fit into the NBA game right away, I don't see them taking that risk. We let go of Damon, keep Jacque, and draft a young PG like Chalmers.

Vaughn can play solid ball, he defends very well, and he could mentor Chalmers. They both went to KU. When needed, We can get Chalmers into the game for offense, but have him playing off the ball to come off of screens and get shots out of Tim's double teams.

I think that is the smartest thing to do.

K-State Spur
06-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Chalmers struggled mightily when playing the point at KU, he found his success when he moved off the ball.

I think - with the Spurs - Manu would run the point on the second unit and Chalmers would be used off the ball offensively, then used to guard guys like Paul/Williams/Nash/Rose for stretches. He's as good a defender as I am aware of for anybody his size, but that size is still only 6'1 (although he has the wingspan of a guy 6'3-6'4).

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Mario For #26!

j-6
06-02-2008, 05:07 PM
I saw a mock draft that has Drew Neitzel going to SA with the later second round pick and the Spurs drafting KU's Brandon Rush in the first, which makes a helluva lot more sense than drafting a 6 foot shutdown guard in the first round.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 05:11 PM
i saw some mock drafts that have us drafting ante tomic.
ARE U FREAKIN KIDDING ME

tav1
06-02-2008, 05:46 PM
I can definitely see the Spurs taking Chalmers.

If you think about it, the Spurs biggest need is a wing player that is ready to play NOW, and not 2 or 3 years down the road.

that's why I think they pick one up in free agency instead. If you draft a guy, you never know if they will be ready to fit into the NBA game right away, I don't see them taking that risk. We let go of Damon, keep Jacque, and draft a young PG like Chalmers.

Vaughn can play solid ball, he defends very well, and he could mentor Chalmers. They both went to KU. When needed, We can get Chalmers into the game for offense, but have him playing off the ball to come off of screens and get shots out of Tim's double teams.

I think that is the smartest thing to do.

O.K. What wing do they get to play now? They've been trying. It's not that simple.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 06:22 PM
O.K. What wing do they get to play now? They've been trying. It's not that simple.

Sign Azabuike, Pietrus, or RJ!!

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Chalmers = Rajon Rondo....won't be anything great, but could be solid.

That being said, I would rather the Spurs address their long-term need at the wing position.

Still, if he's the Spurs pick I don't think it'd be a mistake.

K-State Spur
06-02-2008, 06:50 PM

That being said, I would rather the Spurs address their long-term need at the wing position.

Maybe in terms of impact, but they have very different skill sets.

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Maybe in terms of impact, but they have very different skill sets.

Offensively, very different.

I just saw good size, long limbs, excellent athleticism, and defensive ability.

K-State Spur
06-02-2008, 07:04 PM
fair enough.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 07:30 PM

rondo is a beast u obviously havent watched him too much this season. if chalmers ends up bein like rondo he will be by far the best backup PG in the nba

SKINNYPIMP210
06-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Right now, this is my Favorite player available for the Spurs. I hope we pick this guy, although I still like Walker. Either way this is a good draft so hopefully something positive will come out of it.

SPURSGOAT
06-12-2008, 08:20 PM
I like Chalmers but not at the #26 pick... he probably won't last til we pick again though...

Mr. Body
06-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Despite PG issues, he has one of the best assist/TO ratios in the draft.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-12-2008, 09:52 PM
:lol I just got that.

timvp
06-15-2008, 09:19 PM
The more I think about Mario Chalmers, the more he makes sense for the 26th pick. The Spurs basically have four open spots on their roster -- starting shooting guard, backup point guard, project bigman and project swingman -- and even if Rush or CDR falls to San Antonio, they wouldn't be good enough for that starting shooting guard opening. On the other hand, Chalmers could be drafted at 26 and put directly into that backup point guard slot.

On top of that, the quality of point guards after Chalmers in this draft plummets drastically. By 45, there are no real backup point guard options available. And really, if you are drafting a swingman, the talent drop off from 26 to 45 isn't hugely drastic ... especially if you are going to put the player in D-League for a couple years anyways.

Another factor is there aren't many good free agent point guards on the free agent market. The backup point guards on the market are few and far between. There are tons of shooting guards and swingmen available.

Chalmers as a player has weaknesses but none of them should hurt him too much in the Spurs system. He's not a true point guard yet but that won't matter much playing next to Ginobili and Barry. Most importantly he can defend, he can get steals (something that has been lacking since Ginobili doesn't go for as many steals as he used to), he can shoot the three and he's clutch. From all the quotes I've read, Bill Self loved him as a player -- and Self comes from the same coaching tree as the coaches in the Spurs organization.

Perhaps most importantly about Chalmers is he's aggressive. Pop hates passive guards. Chalmers isn't passive at all.

I don't think Chalmers has much of a chance to be a starter but as a backup point guard (and even spot minutes at shooting guard) who can cause havoc on defense and shoot the rock, I'm confident that he'd be able to step right into the rotation as a rookie. I'm not equally confident about anyone else that could be available at 26.

He's a bit of a boring pick but considering the assets the Spurs have this summer, picking Chalmers at 26 makes the most sense to me at the moment. I may change my mind but I'm starting to like this idea.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-15-2008, 09:22 PM
No longer on the Bill Walker bandwagon?

Mr. Body
06-15-2008, 09:24 PM
timvp- I'm sure your good reasoning is along the lines of why Lawson has been mentioned with the Spurs, too.

K-State Spur
06-15-2008, 09:25 PM
The advantage of Chalmers is that he would instantly become our best defensive match-up for Paul, Nash, & Williams.

It's tough - at first - to envision too many scenarios where Pop can play him & Parker at the same time. However, if Chalmers matches up better with these guys who are usually guarded by Bowen, he's also a better offensive player - regardless of size - than Bruce.

The Truth #6
06-15-2008, 09:37 PM
If the Spurs can sign a solid FA wing, then yes, Chalmers would be a respectable pick at 26. They'll probably do their "due diligence" and try to trade up for Rush offering Bonner as chum but that will probably get immediate laughs and so Chalmers just might be it. The KU favoritism is so obvious, it makes sense we'll try to go after one of those guys.

DMX7
06-15-2008, 10:18 PM
The advantage of Chalmers is that he would instantly become our best defensive match-up for Paul, Nash, & Williams.

It's tough - at first - to envision too many scenarios where Pop can play him & Parker at the same time. However, if Chalmers matches up better with these guys who are usually guarded by Bowen, he's also a better offensive player - regardless of size - than Bruce.

Chalmers is a very good pick up in my opinion. He is also a great 3-point shooter and strong defender which fits Pop's mold for a backup point guard nicely. He's not going to be a star, he just needs to be a good role player and he is NBA ready in my mind to do that.

AFBlue
06-15-2008, 10:25 PM
I'm beginning to warm up to this kid as a potential selection for the Spurs in the first round.

If Walker ends up pulling out of the draft and the Spurs are unable to get a guy like Rush, Batum, or Budinger....I wouldn't mind the Spurs drafting Chalmers.

I know CDR and Lee are two other wing prospects, but I don't see either as being the kind of player that Chalmers could be. This kid is the total package and just needs a little bit of guidance/coaching to put it all together.

My only hesitation is the amount of minutes he would play for the Spurs...unless Pop feels comfortable playing him small-ball at the 2 in certain spots, he'll only average 12-15mpg.

AFBlue
06-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Looks like Chalmers feels good enough about his chances to get picked up in the first round that he's committing to stay in. Good news possibly for Spurs fans!

Chalmers to stay in NBA draft, KU announces

Kansas junior guard Mario Chalmers will stay in this month’s NBA draft, KU coach Bill Self announced in a statement Sunday.

Chalmers will join junior Brandon Rush and sophomore Darrell Arthur as KU underclassmen expected to be picked in the first round.

“Mario informed us of his position to stay in the draft today,” Self said. “Even though this was official, we anticipated this back in April when he declared without an agent. We are excited for Mario’s prospects. From what we have gathered, his stock has climbed. We wish Mario the very best, and we will anxiously be waiting to see where all of our guys will be drafted.”

Chalmers, chosen the Most Outstanding Player of the Final Four after tying the national championship game at Memphis with a three-pointer at the buzzer, will have his jersey retired at Kansas.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/665191.html

Marcus Bryant
06-15-2008, 11:37 PM
Chalmers just feels like a Spurs' domestic draft pick. They'll use the #45 for some swingman athlete and then perhaps look to free agency to find a replacement for Finley.

K-State Spur
06-15-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm beginning to warm up to this kid as a potential selection for the Spurs in the first round.

If Walker ends up pulling out of the draft and the Spurs are unable to get a guy like Rush, Batum, or Budinger....I wouldn't mind the Spurs drafting Chalmers.

I know CDR and Lee are two other wing prospects, but I don't see either as being the kind of player that Chalmers could be. This kid is the total package and just needs a little bit of guidance/coaching to put it all together.

My only hesitation is the amount of minutes he would play for the Spurs...unless Pop feels comfortable playing him small-ball at the 2 in certain spots, he'll only average 12-15mpg.

Offensively, I think he should project to be a better version of Speedy Claxton.

Defensively, he would enter the league as one of the best perimeter defenders under 6'4. There would obviously be a learning curve and adjustment to the NBA game, but I don't think there is much risk that he won't be a competent defender.

There are still guys that I like better, but Chalmers would not be a wasted pick. I actually like him better than his collegiate teammate who is predicted to go higher in the first round.

picnroll
06-15-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm all for picking up a PG rather than a swing man since I also don't think any swingman the Spurs can get will have any impact for at least a year and likely two. I'd take Lawson or Chalmers, but higher on Lawson as a more natural PG with more potential to break apart defenses.

Marcus Bryant
06-15-2008, 11:44 PM
The Spurs will look at Chalmers as someone who can defend, knock down perimeter shots, and who's played in a postseason environment. Pure point guard skills aren't necessarily a concern for point guards in the Spurs' offense these days.

Safe. Predictable.

K-State Spur
06-15-2008, 11:46 PM
I'm all for picking up a PG rather than a swing man since I also don't think any swingman the Spurs can get will have any impact for at least a year and likely two. I'd take Lawson or Chalmers, but higher on Lawson as a more natural PG with more potential to break apart defenses.

There are a couple of problems with Lawson at that spot in relation to Chalmers. Lawson's more a pure point, which coupled with his size, means that he's almost strictly a back-up. Meanwhile, Chalmers with his length and experience playing off the ball, can be coupled with Parker in the right match-ups.

I would really NOT like Lawson @ 26. On a team looking to make another run for the Championship, with Parker entering his prime and Manu sure to dominate the ball for other stretches, that's essentially using that pick on a guy who will struggle to find minutes come playoff time. Chalmers has a shot to make an impact thanks to his defense and versatility.

picnroll
06-15-2008, 11:55 PM
The Spurs will look at Chalmers as someone who can defend, knock down perimeter shots, and who's played in a postseason environment. Pure point guard skills aren't necessarily a concern for point guards in the Spurs' offense these days.

Safe. Predictable.
I'm not sure Pop would agree with you. He's been trying to get a pure PG forever. He tried with Kidd. He thought he had gotten one in Beno.

SPURSGOAT
06-15-2008, 11:56 PM
I am starting to warm up to the Spurs getting Chalmers at 26... originally was thinking that they should wait til the second round for a backup PG, but Chalmers can be used for more than just that role. Would be good in the small ball that pop likes to run and could be used alongside Parker at times at the SG spot. I dunno how good a swingman we can get at 45 though...

timvp
06-15-2008, 11:57 PM

Safe. Predictable.Agreed. I just think Chalmers fits better than Lawson. Lawson is pretty damn short and skinny. He's not much of a defender or a shooter. He has speed and he can create shots but I just don't think he's a very safe pick. Lawson could get bullied a couple times defensively and Pop would bench him for good.

Chalmers always has defense and his shooting to fall back on. The Spurs need a shot creator but it doesn't necessarily need to be the backup point guard. Especially since Pop likes his point guards to either shoot or pass rather than try to make something out of nothing.

Besides, I saw a quote from Lawson somewhere saying specifically that he didn't want to play behind an established point guard such as Tony Parker or Deron Williams. A guy who flat out says he doesn't want to be on the Spurs can go somewhere else.

Chalmers is the safest and most ready pick the Spurs could make at 26.

timvp
06-15-2008, 11:59 PM
I'm not sure Pop would agree with you. He's been trying to get a pure PG forever. He tried with Kidd. He thought he had gotten one in Beno.Pop tried to turn Beno into Eddie House. He did the same thing to Damon Stoudamire this year.

Kidd was more Duncan than anyone.

MannyIsGod
06-15-2008, 11:59 PM
Batum - Chalmers - CDR is my crrent very short cheat list if I'm drafting for the Spurs. Walker was up there, but not after the injury.

K-State Spur
06-16-2008, 12:01 AM
I'm not sure Pop would agree with you. He's been trying to get a pure PG forever. He tried with Kidd. He thought he had gotten one in Beno.

Not much evidence to that.

Pop's been trying to find a back-up PG that doesn't wilt under pressure. Pure or otherwise.

Blackjack
06-16-2008, 12:03 AM
Glad to see you guys jumping aboard the Chalmers bandwagon. There's still plenty of room, but this sonbitch is filling up quickly! :lol

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 12:07 AM
Pop's given Jacque Vaughn playoff minutes because of his ability to defend, basically. Beno was much more the pure point than him but because of weakness defensively and mentally he is gone.

Would the Spurs like a backup for Tony who can create off the dribble, in addition to being able to defend? Of course. But we all know what comes first with Pop.

picnroll
06-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Agreed. I just think Chalmers fits better than Lawson. Lawson is pretty damn short and skinny. He's not much of a defender or a shooter. He has speed and he can create shots but I just don't think he's a very safe pick. Lawson could get bullied a couple times defensively and Pop would bench him for good.

Lawson is 195 and strength is listed as one of his strengths. He benched a very respectable 14 times in the combines. Probably stronger than Parker. He's about the same size as Aaron Brooks and much, much stronger.

When Beno came in Pop was touting him for his pure PG ability. That was what initially attracted the Spurs to him.

timvp
06-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Got damn, finally found it. I knew I read it somewhere . . .

Ty Lawson, Soph., PG, North Carolina: A hip pointer limited Lawson to just one of the three games. He scored 10 points, dished out four assists, had three steals, three turnovers, made 4 of 10 shots and was 2-of-2 from the line.

Lawson was the only player who was a consensus to be a possible first-round pick among NBA teams. But that doesn't mean he's a lock, either.

"What I've heard is that I'm probably 25 or lower," Lawson said. "If I get to 20 then I'll stay in. Other than that I'll go back to school."

Why the hard cutoff? Lawson said he didn't want to play behind a big-time point guard like San Antonio's Tony Parker or New Orleans' Chris Paul. The Spurs and Hornets pick at 26 and 27, respectively.

Lawson said he has workouts scheduled for the L.A. Clippers (7), Indiana (11), Sacramento (12), Portland (13), Washington (18) and Denver (20). But keep in mind all of these teams have second-round picks, too, and could be looking at Lawson there, as well.

"I'm dead in the middle right now, and I won't have a better idea until after my last workout on the 14th," Lawson said. "After that, I'll know what I'm going to do."

Yeah, Lawson's DUI azz can go elsewhere.

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 12:11 AM
Yeah, that's not a great attitude. I guess he thinks he's going to Denver.

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 12:14 AM
Look at it this way. If the Spurs are trying to find a rotation player at #26, then they'll go with someone like Chalmers. A lot of the guys likely to be available at #26 won't be ready to step in immediately. Chalmers fits the profile of someone who can come in next season and give you 12 to 15 minutes a night. The free agent point guard pool is not that full. Pargo is about it as far as someone you could see the Spurs landing, and it would take a fair amount of $ to lure him away from NO, not to mention that you'd be using your MLE primarily to land a backup point. You will want your full MLE available if you're going after Finley's replacement in free agency.

timvp
06-16-2008, 12:15 AM
Lawson is 195 and strength is listed as one of his strengths. He benched a very respectable 14 times in the combines. Probably stronger than Parker. He's about the same size as Aaron Brooks and much, much stronger.Lawson is strong in his upper body. But he's also thin-wasted and will get bullied by bigger and thicker guards. It's also easier to bench when he have short arms.

When Beno came in Pop was touting him for his pure PG ability. That was what initially attracted the Spurs to him.Beno's pure PG ability got ousted by Jacque Vaughn. Vaughn has zero point guard ability.

Pop may talk about wanting a pure point guard but when it comes down to it, defense always wins out with him. Spurs draft Lawson and Vaughn will be the point guard by the All-Star break.

DMX7
06-16-2008, 12:16 AM
I think I heard Lawson has been getting into some offcourt trouble.

Anyway, I like Chalmers and here's a few reasons why:

1.) 47% 3-point shooter in 2007
2.) Big 12 co-defensive player of the year in 2007
3.) Good hands, 2.3/1 Ast-to-turnover ratio, 2.5 steals per game
4.) He's a junior so he's only missing one year of experience and he's NBA ready.
5.) Athleticism! Athleticism! Athleticism! God, Spurs need it! He's a high flyer athlete.

K-State Spur
06-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Lawson is 195 and strength is listed as one of his strengths. He benched a very respectable 14 times in the combines. Probably stronger than Parker. He's about the same size as Aaron Brooks and much, much stronger.

When Beno came in Pop was touting him for his pure PG ability. That was what initially attracted the Spurs to him.

Yet, Pop has continually added shoot first PGs to the bench, and pushed for Beno & Parker to be more aggressive with their shots as well.

This offense doesn't need a pure point, and Pop's as aware of that as anybody.

As for Lawson, at 5'11, he's just not going to be able to do anything other than back-up the PG position. We know Parker's going to play that for 38-40 mpg. Manu's gonna get spot duty there. The guy is pretty much locked into one spot and there just aren't enough minutes to go to that spot to justify using the 26th pick of the draft on him.

picnroll
06-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Are you sure Chalmers can come in and give 12 to 15 minutes of quality play a night. How many PGs who aren't really PGs but more combo guard have done that playing for contenders and were 26th pick talent?

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 12:19 AM
We saw a couple tonight.

picnroll
06-16-2008, 12:20 AM
Parker's going to play that for 38-40 mpg.

I sure as hell hope he isn't.

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 12:20 AM
What's more likely, that you can pull someone to be a backup out of this draft next season and give you at most 15 minutes a night or you land someone with pick #26 who can start at the 2 spot and give you 25+, not to mention be able to score enough to keep Manu's minutes down next season?

picnroll
06-16-2008, 12:21 AM
What's more likely, that you can pull someone to be a backup out of this draft next season and give you at most 15 minutes a night or you land someone with pick #26 who can start at the 2 spot and give you 25+, not to mention be able to score enough to keep Manu's minutes down next season?
Neither.

I think you have a better chance with a pure position player than a combo guard, particularly one that isn't top 12 talent. I also think Lawson has more potential to be starting quality and a trade assest down the road. It's all speculation and I've been way wrong before.

K-State Spur
06-16-2008, 12:23 AM
Who is sure of anything?

But Chalmers is more versatile. He's a tremendous defender. He's got experience both running the point and playing off the ball. He's got a consistent jumpshot, and has proven that he is clutch with it. And he's got the wingspan of a taller player, which allowed him to effectively guard much bigger guards at the collegiate level. None of that is really disputed.

He's not my favorite guy at the slot, but he's a FAR better option than Lawson.

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 12:23 AM
Well good. Vaughn is Tony's backup next season then.

K-State Spur
06-16-2008, 12:25 AM
I sure as hell hope he isn't.

Come playoff time, you bet your ass he will. He averaged 38.5 this past playoffs.

picnroll
06-16-2008, 12:26 AM
Come playoff time, you bet your ass he will. He averaged 38.5 this past playoffs.

If he's not worn out by then.

DMX7
06-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Are you sure Chalmers can come in and give 12 to 15 minutes of quality play a night. How many PGs who aren't really PGs but more combo guard have done that playing for contenders and were 26th pick talent?

Rodney Stuckey?

Ok, he was drafted a little higher than Chalmers probably will be but very similar situation.

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 12:28 AM
If the Spurs draft someone to bring in next season in the 1st round, then they're going to be ready to contribute from the FO's perspective. Only if someone they're really high on but who needs some work falls to them do I see them going a different route.

Blackjack
06-16-2008, 12:29 AM
Let's not get things twisted, Chalmers can create for himself and others. It may not be his strong point, but he's not Chris lofton either. I think people will be pleasantly suprised with how his game will translate to the N.B.A., and more specifically the Spurs' motion offense.

K-State Spur
Why would he be?

He won't play that much in the regular season and the Spurs could probably get by with Vaughn as the back-up and still make the playoffs.

But that's when it matters. Chalmers might be able to help this team come next May. Lawson almost certainly will not (as I said, just not enough minutes behind Parker/Manu running the point available).

DMX7
If the Spurs draft someone to bring in next season in the 1st round, then they're going to be ready to contribute from the FO's perspective. Only if someone they're really high on but who needs some work falls to them do I see them going a different route.

Wait, so what do you expect them to do with the pick then? Draft another project that we've never heard of?

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 12:30 AM
If anything, this postseason showed Pop that he needs to really manage the big 3's minutes during the regular season. With Manu coming off his injury plus playing in the Olympics, it will be paramount that the Spurs find players who can play in the rotation today. I think they make a hard push in free agency for a scoring swingman this summer. To upgrade the backup point position, it almost defaults to using the #26 pick for that.

DMX7
06-16-2008, 12:32 AM
If anything, this postseason showed Pop that he needs to really manage the big 3's minutes during the regular season. With Manu coming off his injury plus playing in the Olympics, it will be paramount that the Spurs find players who can play in the rotation today. I think they make a hard push in free agency for a scoring swingman this summer. To upgrade the backup point position, it almost defaults to using the #26 pick for that.

Yeah, backup PG is what they are going to use it for. They need someone who can score i.e., Chalmers. Spurs have the MLE and that's about it as far as going after a "scoring swingman".

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 12:32 AM
Wait, so what do you expect them to do with the pick then? Draft another project that we've never heard of?

I expect them to take Chalmers if he's available. If not, then perhaps there's someone else who's ready to contribute that they'll go with.

I'm not saying they won't draft a project or draft and stash, yet again. But I think this year it's highly likely they will be drafting for next season, not the 2010-11 season.

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 12:34 AM
There are other variables. Perhaps they use their trade exception and land a backup point using it and the #26. I don't see them landing someone who could put up 15 to 20 points a night at #26 next season.

K-State Spur
06-16-2008, 12:34 AM
I'm talking myself more into Chalmers as this thread lengthens (which is REALLY DIFFICULT for a K-State fan, trust me).

But this is a guy who will likely be able to play the point competently. Can man the 2 spot for stretches in the right match-up. He can guard the league's premier PGs, which frees up Bowen to wreak havoc on bigger perimeter players. And he'll knock down the open 15-18 footers (aka 'the speedy claxton special') that the offense creates for him.

Blackjack
06-16-2008, 12:40 AM
I'm talking myself more into Chalmers as this thread lengthens (which is REALLY DIFFICULT for a K-State fan, trust me).

But this is a guy who will likely be able to play the point competently. Can man the 2 spot for stretches in the right match-up. He can guard the league's premier PGs, which frees up Bowen to wreak havoc on bigger perimeter players. And he'll knock down the open 15-18 footers (aka 'the speedy claxton special') that the offense creates for him.

There's no shame in seeing the light. :toast

Everything you said is true. He'll also help to ignite our transition game with the way he plays passing lanes. We need people that can get us easy buckets, and turning defense into offense is a great way to get them.

timvp
06-16-2008, 12:45 AM
Yeah Chalmers is starting to creep up into my number one position. Rush or CDR might be able to play right away ... but there's also a chance they'd spend the whole year in the D-League or buried on the bench. Batum is talented but by the time he's ready Duncan is ready to hang up his Adidas. If Pop can find minutes minutes for Vaughn due to his supposed defense, he can find minutes for Chalmers who is a much better defensive and offensive player.

Then it works out nicely because you can get a Forbes, Giddens, Weems, Calathes or any of the other dozen swingman prospects in the second round. The difference between someone like Rush and Giddens isn't as big as the difference between Chalmers and George Hill or Drew Neitzel or whoever the best point guard is at 45.

We'll see what the Spurs do. PG makes the most sense once you put all the cards on the table. Perhaps RC will go draft-n-stash just to try to prove the doubters wrong.

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 12:47 AM
If they are able to trade up, then I could see them going away from Chalmers in the draft for perhaps that long swingman prospect. But then you're looking at Vaughn as the backup point and perhaps Barry in spot duty.

I'm not too sure about the Spurs' being able to move up in this draft. They'll have to pony up some cash and/or find a team facing the lux tax limit who wants to shed contracts and will pay the Spurs for taking them with their trade exception. Still, how many times have we heard the Spurs were looking to move up and see them unable to do so?

RC is Self's buddy. He undoubtedly has followed KU ball somewhat closely. Self has probably sung Chalmers' praises to RC. There aren't really that many question marks about Chalmers from the Spurs' perspective. He can defend, knock down shots in pressure situations, and he isn't a knucklehead. Also he can likely be had on a relatively small and short guaranteed contract. If he doesn't pan out, then the Spurs don't keep him past the two year minimum, which of course would be the summer of 2010. Also, conveniently they dealt their 2009 1st rounder.

DMX7
06-16-2008, 01:01 AM
Yeah Chalmers is starting to creep up into my number one position. Rush or CDR might be able to play right away ... but there's also a chance they'd spend the whole year in the D-League or buried on the bench. Batum is talented but by the time he's ready Duncan is ready to hang up his Adidas. If Pop can find minutes minutes for Vaughn due to his supposed defense, he can find minutes for Chalmers who is a much better defensive and offensive player.

Then it works out nicely because you can get a Forbes, Giddens, Weems, Calathes or any of the other dozen swingman prospects in the second round. The difference between someone like Rush and Giddens isn't as big as the difference between Chalmers and George Hill or Drew Neitzel or whoever the best point guard is at 45.

We'll see what the Spurs do. PG makes the most sense once you put all the cards on the table. Perhaps RC will go draft-n-stash just to try to prove the doubters wrong.

lol, draft-n-stash is a remote option because the Spurs are already near the Salary Cap and they aren't even close to having enough players to fill out a complete roster.

K-State Spur
06-16-2008, 01:14 AM
The difference between someone like Rush and Giddens isn't as big as the difference between Chalmers and George Hill or Drew Neitzel or whoever the best point guard is at 45.

Excellent point.

K-State Spur
06-16-2008, 01:18 AM
lol, draft-n-stash is a remote option because the Spurs are already near the Salary Cap and they aren't even close to having enough players to fill out a complete roster.

? Yeah, they're at the salary cap, but the luxury tax is the number to worry about.

Spurs have 9 guys under contract. And the team can probably bring back most - if not all - of their current FAs at reasonable values (not that they would or should want to).

This doesn't even count the MLE or LLE that can be used in FA.

This is all being discussed in another thread which I am too lazy to link to.

SPURSGOAT
06-16-2008, 01:18 AM
Yea count me on the Chalmers bandwagon... reading all of the latest posts on this thread have really made me start liking the idea of getting chalmers as the back up PG compared to other backup PG in the draft especially for the second round. If they went with one in the second round then he more than likely would not pan out or not as fast as Chalmers... I feel he is already ready and will fit the role and other needed roles nicely. Then using their MLE for a swingman or two.

BTW will the draft be on ESPN like the NFL draft is?

angelbelow
06-16-2008, 01:46 AM
i really hope that if we are planning to take him in the first, were also trading up for another 1st.

Blackjack
06-16-2008, 01:49 AM
If your going to draft a kid you need to contribute right away, it's best that they can
have an effect on the game with their energy, and hustle. Young fellas are going to make mistakes, but energy and hustle allows them to contribute and earn minutes while they learn. Chalmers can certainly do that with the way he plays defense, and it doesn't hurt that the kid can knock down a shot either.

I'm all for drafting a wing with upside in the second round, and letting him develop with the Toros. I think whatever other player(s) we bring in (trade/free-agency) should be veteran enough to help over the next two years.

I don't care if the players we bring in are thirty or so, as long as they can compliment the big 3 over the next couple of years. Guys like Posey would be ideal. Guys that still have enough athleticism to mix in with some veteran savy.

So hopefully we're able to aquire a veteran (wing/fourth-scorer) through trade or free-agency, and Mahinmi/Chalmers can be a little like Johnson/Stuckey were for Detroit last year.

SPURSGOAT
06-16-2008, 02:06 AM
i really hope that if we are planning to take him in the first, were also trading up for another 1st.

I highly doubt the Spurs will be able to trade up to get two first rounders... we simply don't have enough trade bait to do that with. The Spurs will more than likely have to stay with the picks they already have.

silk
06-16-2008, 03:42 AM
Count me in this bandwagon also, i don't think any of the swingmen available in the draft will contribute right away

The problem is which swingmen will fit in with the mle, sorry but kelenna and J.R are far worse defenders than finley, it doesn't bode too well...

( sorry for the english)

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Ty Lawson will be returning to North Carolina, according to a source close to the situation.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Early-Entry-Withdrawal-Deadline-Gallinari-Stays-in-the-Draft--128ET--2929/

That might derail Chalmers to SA.

K-State Spur
06-16-2008, 01:32 PM
That might derail Chalmers to SA.

Maybe. Although I think he has more value to a team like the Spurs than most of the teams picking in front.

SenorSpur
06-16-2008, 03:15 PM
i like this guy... plus the Spurs should be looking for a swingman in free agency not in the draft...

Horse hockey!

The Spurs need both - a FA swingman and one via the draft. Remember they will not only be replacing Finley this year, but Barry likely next year.

SenorSpur
06-16-2008, 03:17 PM
I like him alot....but we need a 2 or 3 guard with our first pick.

Exactly. :toast

SenorSpur
06-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Offensively, I think he should project to be a better version of Speedy Claxton..

Hopefully, he'll be less brittle than Claxton.

There are still guys that I like better, but Chalmers would not be a wasted pick. I actually like him better than his collegiate teammate who is predicted to go higher in the first round.

I would still rather them focus on the swing player first. However, as some have already stated, if the favored swing players (Rush, Batum) are gone. I could undertand this pick in the first round. This draft is deeper in swingmen, so the possiblity of getting project swingman in in the 2nd round could be more favorable than getting a quality backup PG.

Besides, I don't want to endure another season of seeing Jacque Vaughn as the primary backup PG

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 03:36 PM
The Spurs need a backup point. They also need a starting quality 2. Of those needs, it would be far easier to find someone at #26 to backup Tony, knock down some perimeter shots, and defend for 12 to 15 minutes a night instead of finding someone able to step in next season and score 15 a night in 30 minutes.

Free agency will be used to address the swingman spot.

K-State Spur
06-16-2008, 03:39 PM
I would still rather them focus on the swing player first. However, as some have already stated, if the favored swing players (Rush, Batum) are gone. I could undertand this pick in the first round. This draft is deeper in swingmen, so the possiblity of getting project swingman in in the 2nd round could be more favorable than getting a quality backup PG.

I think we need to add a slasher at the wing via FA regardless of who we draft in the first round. So I wouldn't necessarily view a swing in the draft as a necessity.

SenorSpur
06-16-2008, 03:44 PM
The Spurs need a backup point. They also need a starting quality 2. Of those needs, it would be far easier to find someone at #26 to backup Tony, knock down some perimeter shots, and defend for 12 to 15 minutes a night instead of finding someone able to step in next season and score 15 a night in 30 minutes.

Free agency will be used to address the swingman spot.

Totally understand that strategy. In fact, it makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Now, it would be delicious drama to see what the Spurs would do if, say, both Batum and Chalmers were available @ #26.

SenorSpur
06-16-2008, 03:46 PM
I think we need to add a slasher at the wing via FA regardless of who we draft in the first round. So I wouldn't necessarily view a swing in the draft as a necessity.

Agree. Which is why I tout the acquisition of Pietrus as the logical first choice to step into the starting 2 spot for the Spurs next year.

SenorSpur
06-16-2008, 03:47 PM

If I'm correct on this, the Spurs gave away next year's 1st round pick to the Sonics in the Kurt Thomas trade.

SPURSGOAT
06-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Now the Spurs need Chalmers more than ever since Parker is going to be kinda in the same boat as Manu playing this summer... Pop will be wanting to get his big 3 as much rest as he can afford for the playoffs. So someone like Chalmers will play even a bigger role in the regular season... I bet they seriously go after Chalmers now.

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 04:17 PM
If I'm correct on this, the Spurs gave away next year's 1st round pick to the Sonics in the Kurt Thomas trade.

Right. All the more reason they'll be looking for a 'sure thing' at #26.

SenorSpur
06-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Now the Spurs need Chalmers more than ever since Parker is going to be kinda in the same boat as Manu playing this summer... Pop will be wanting to get his big 3 as much rest as he can afford for the playoffs. So someone like Chalmers will play even a bigger role in the regular season... I bet they seriously go after Chalmers now.

If that will indeed be their strategy, I wonder what project swingman has the potential to be available with their 2nd round pick?

Mr. Body
06-16-2008, 04:23 PM
If that will indeed be their strategy, I wonder what project swingman has the potential to be available with their 2nd round pick?

Gary Forbes, JR Giddens maybe.

SenorSpur
06-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Gary Forbes, JR Giddens maybe.

Both sound even less enticing that last year's Marcus Williams pick.

IMO, the urgency around getting a young swingman to develop this year (even if it's the 2nd round) is that the Spurs DO NOT have a 1st round pick next season. The chosen guy will likely need at least 1-2 years in the Spurs system.

Getting the FA swingman is a must. However getting yet another young swingman to develop is also essential. Maybe they'll give DeMarr Johnson a longer look or maybe they can nab one off the waiver wire.

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Maybe they'll use their MLE to address that issue.

Mr. Body
06-16-2008, 04:38 PM

IMO, the urgency around getting a young swingman to develop this year (even if it's the 2nd round) is that the Spurs DO NOT have a 1st round pick next season. The chosen guy will likely need at least 1-2 years in the Spurs system.

Getting the FA swingman is a must. However getting yet another young swingman to develop is also essential. Maybe they'll give DeMarr Johnson a longer look or maybe they can nab one off the waiver wire.

You're saying exactly why I'm not on the Chalmers bandwagon. While I like him a lot we need to go for a scoring wing.

ss1986v2
06-16-2008, 04:52 PM
im torn between chalmers and lee at this point. i guess i will just keep praying the spurs put in a bid to buy another pick from somebody (like denver). lee at #20 and then chalmers at #26 would be a very good day for me.

K-State Spur
06-16-2008, 05:00 PM

Giddens is a pretty good athlete and showed NBA range as early as his freshman year in Lawrence. And, while he is only 6'5, he has a 7'0 wingspan to go with it.

His problems in the past have been off the court issues, on the court attitude, being extremely passive on defense, and an extreme willingness to shoot long contested jumpshots over driving the ball to the rim.

However, it appeared that Steve Alford lit a fire under him this past year and none of these things were much of an issue.

He may remind Pop/RC enough of SJax that they would gamble on him as their project player. He has a higher ceiling than guys like Rush or CDR, but at a much higher risk.

On the other hand - I think somebody else may have already mentioned this (if not, feel free to give me full credit) - Giddens transferring from KU was MORE than mutual. A rocky past with RC's buddy Bill Self may sour the Spurs on him as a prospect.

K-State Spur
06-16-2008, 05:03 PM
You're saying exactly why I'm not on the Chalmers bandwagon. While I like him a lot we need to go for a scoring wing.

I'm not sure there is a guy who has a shot to be there at 26 who can really be counted on to be a scoring wing. Rush certainly isn't, and probably will be gone by then anyways.

I like CDR and Lee a lot, but how much can be counted on them next year is really up in the air. And they're both the types of players that (at least as of right now) if they're shots aren't following - they're not doing much to help you.

TheProfessor
06-16-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure there is a guy who has a shot to be there at 26 who can really be counted on to be a scoring wing. Rush certainly isn't, and probably will be gone by then anyways.

I like CDR and Lee a lot, but how much can be counted on them next year is really up in the air. And they're both the types of players that (at least as of right now) if they're shots aren't following - they're not doing much to help you.
I was extremely wary about CDR and his ability to translate his game to the NBA level. But it seems increasingly that he'll be the best wing available at our pick. I would rather go with Chalmers or the best big available, though.

Mr. Body
06-16-2008, 05:26 PM
It's starting to look like Orlando will take Courtney Lee at 22. I believe that will leave CDR as our only wing option left, unless for some reason Batum has a freakish fall.

SPURSGOAT
06-16-2008, 05:29 PM
The Spurs need a quality backup PG and at #26 Chalmers fits the bill... would be a much better option than getting one in the second round or having to worry about wasting MLE on a backup PG... I just hope that Chalmers is still around. I don't see the Spurs moving up or getting another first round pick.. they will probably stand pat with what they have.

AFBlue
06-16-2008, 05:31 PM
If this kid can play small-ball SG for 10 minutes a game and average somewhere around 20mpg total, he's a good value at #26. GET HIM!

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Being able to play 15 to 18 a night at point during the regular season would be enough.

SPURSGOAT
06-16-2008, 06:21 PM
If this kid can play small-ball SG for 10 minutes a game and average somewhere around 20mpg total, he's a good value at #26. GET HIM!

I think he can fit the role at SG for small ball and be a quality backup to Parker. Might get some defensive assignments at times too... I can see him contributing 15-20 minutes a game by the all-star break...

SenorSpur
06-16-2008, 08:13 PM
I think he can fit the role at SG for small ball and be a quality backup to Parker. Might get some defensive assignments at times too... I can see him contributing 15-20 minutes a game by the all-star break...

God, I hate SMALL BALL!

K-State Spur
06-16-2008, 08:24 PM
God, I hate SMALL BALL!

you can still play a big front line with Chalmers at the 2. it would be a small-ball back-court, but not necessarily 1-5.

AFBlue
06-16-2008, 09:02 PM
God, I hate SMALL BALL!

Think how many teams go small-ball in the backcourt nowadays...

Three that come to mind are Phx (Nash/Barbosa), Chi (Hinrich/Gordon), and Den (Carter/Iverson), but there a plenty more.

If Chalmers can use his length to play bigger, especially defensively, then I see no reason why it couldn't work.

Having said that, I think he is likely to get picked up before the Spurs draft....now that Lawson pulled out.

SenorSpur
06-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Think how many teams go small-ball in the backcourt nowadays...

Three that come to mind are Phx (Nash/Barbosa), Chi (Hinrich/Gordon), and Den (Carter/Iverson), but there a plenty more.

If Chalmers can use his length to play bigger, especially defensively, then I see no reason why it couldn't work.

Having said that, I think he is likely to get picked up before the Spurs draft....now that Lawson pulled out.

RealGM's mock draft seems to think Chalmers moves up too.

http://realgm.com/src_feature/1266/20080616/2008_nba_mock_draft_version_101_(post_withdraw_edi tion)/

picnroll
06-16-2008, 09:27 PM
RealGM's mock draft seems to think Chalmers moves up too.

http://realgm.com/src_feature/1266/20080616/2008_nba_mock_draft_version_101_(post_withdraw_edi tion)/

If so Chalmers being taken by the Nuggets could help to free up JR Smith.

DMX7
06-16-2008, 09:35 PM
God, I hate SMALL BALL!

Small ball is not having a 6-2 shooting guard. Small ball is having 4 guards and Tim on the floor at the same time i.e., what Pop has been doing way too much this past season.

For the record, I see Chalmers as a backup point guard. I too hate small ball. God, I hate it!

angelbelow
06-17-2008, 02:24 AM
chalmers just needs to spell parkers minutes in the playoffs, and effectively run the point when given minutes in the playoffs. this is assuming we draft him though.

kobyz
06-17-2008, 03:54 AM
taking Chalmers in the 26 will be a safe pick

angelbelow
06-17-2008, 04:10 AM
taking Chalmers in the 26 will be a safe pick

not if rush is still there :p:

timvp
06-17-2008, 07:39 AM
HoopsAnalyst.com has a really good writeup on Chalmers:

http://hoopsanalyst.com/0708ew14.htm

Pistons < Spurs
06-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Chad Fords latest mock on ESPN has you guys taking Chalmers.

The Spurs have been looking for a backup point guard for Tony Parker, and you won't find a guy with more grit and experience than Chalmers. He should be able to step right in and play minutes for the Spurs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-080617

timvp
06-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Yeah, Chalmers makes a lot of sense. However, if CDR is on the board (like in Ford's mock draft), that'd be a tough decision.

T Park
06-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Is there any fear of Chalmers being another Jacque Vaughn?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-17-2008, 01:46 PM

No.

K-State Spur
06-17-2008, 02:20 PM

Why? Because they both went to KU? I hold that against them more than anybody, but c'mon...

T Park
06-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Why? Because they both went to KU? I hold that against them more than anybody, but c'mon...

No because when Vaughn came out, his comparisions were similar.

Great defensively, decent offensively, can run the offense.

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2008, 02:33 PM
Chalmers' J is much better at this stage.

Mr. Body
06-17-2008, 02:46 PM
It's amazing the talent Vaughn's Kansas team had that never won a championship. Pierce, LaFrentz, Pollard, Vaughn.

K-State Spur
06-17-2008, 06:30 PM
No because when Vaughn came out, his comparisions were similar.

Great defensively, decent offensively, can run the offense.

VERY different players coming out.

Chalmers has a quality jump shot and range. Vaughn did not.

Vaughn was a prototypical PG with good vision and a solid passer. Chalmers played OFF THE BALL the last two years.

Chalmers is a longer defender who can guard bigger players, Vaughn relied on foot speed to stay in front of opponents.

I don't know who is making similar comparisons of the two players, but that guy hasn't seen at least one of them play.

Blackjack
06-18-2008, 12:50 AM
What can Chalmers do for you???

I think Rondo just showed everyone the type of impact Chalmers could have on the defensive end for the Spurs.

Here's hoping the Spurs can find a way to get Chalmers in the black and silver.

angelbelow
06-18-2008, 04:59 AM
DX has the hornets taking him?? makes no sense.

NuGGeTs-FaN
06-18-2008, 06:27 AM
Chalmers isn't dropping past #20 :smokin , unless the nuggets trade up for Westbrook

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Draft Report: Mario Chalmers Of Kansas
Authored by Christopher Reina - 19th June, 2008 - 4:10 pm

Mario Chalmers is the third best true point guard in this draft and though there is a humongous gap between he and Derrick Rose and is surely behind D.J. Augustin, he has the makings of a solid starter at the position.

His handoff from Sherron Collins where he dribbled left and his a high arching 3-point shot over Rose is already part of folklore.

He has a great burst of speed into the crossover and knifes into the lane really well to create floaters and dish offs.

But Chalmers will also use pre-dribble ball fakes before getting into his dribble.

He will frequently dribble into the defender and then pull back for a mid-range jumper with the space he creates. Chalmers uses this bump a lot and is brilliant at it.

Chalmers has really nice tempo coming off pick and rolls while getting into the middle. He is comfortable getting doubled here and will be patient and poised.

He has great balance penetrating into the lane and has enough hang time and body control while in the air to dodge potential shot blockers.

He’s not the absolute most gifted passer, but is a good one for a point guard. He gets the ball to the man rolling to the hoop at the ideal time, making sure he draws help defenders to maximize his teammates’ potential openness. Chalmers also has an ideal delivery on the drive and kick. His decision-making is extremely mature and he had a huge jump in his assist-to-turnover ratio from 1.36 to 2.25 this year.

Chalmers is really more about timing and feel than pure imagination as a passer, which is not necessarily a bad thing for a point guard expected to keep things organized rather than absolutely run the show.

One area that he must improve upon is when he goes baseline and hits a dead end- he ends up leaving his feet to either get a shot off or pass it away. The shot is low percentage and the pass is turnover prone. He should instead preserve his dribble and get out of the area and reset the offense, something Steve Nash and Chris Paul do flawlessly.

He has great speed in transition, not nearly as fast as a Ty Lawson, but is plenty quick enough and is more effective at changing speeds. He also has enough elevation and length to finish open dunks.

Another area of his game that is much stronger than Lawson and your average point guard is how well he moves without the ball. He makes great backdoor cuts, grabs handoffs and really can play well without the ball in the halfcourt. His path when curling around for shots is excellent, as he squares up and has his body aligned with the hoop ahead of time.

Chalmers’ shot mechanics are very good and not surprisingly he was a 47.8% from beyond the arc. His shot is compact, nearly perfect and extremely consistent. Chalmers will rarely miss a perimeter shot to the left or right. He has great range and can extend it to the pro line already.

Importantly, Chalmers shoot it very well when contested. On the catch-and-shoot, he has an incredibly quick release and therefore isn’t concerned with getting it blocked.

The 3-point shot is available to him in transition because of how quickly and smoothly he can jump stop into it.

Defensively, Chalmers will get a ton of steals with his quickness and cunning. He pokes a lot of balls away from post players when helping.

He also gets a lot of on-ball picks against the dribbler in the open floor.

Chalmers also gets into the passing lanes incredibly well with his long arms and quick feet.

If he isn’t valuable enough on the defensive end of the ball, Chalmers also really enjoys scrapping for defensive rebounds.

There are a lot of teams that need point guards and I have a lot of respect for GMs that disregard how much 'value' they think their slot needs to yield and simply draft the best fit. Even though Chalmers is unlikely to become an All-Star, he will vastly improve the team that selects him.

http://realgm.com/src_fromtherafters/199/20080619/draft_report_mario_chalmers_of_kansas/

T Park
06-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Chalmers isn't dropping past #20 :smokin , unless the nuggets trade up for Westbrook

With what money are the Nuggets paying these guys with?

SenorSpur
06-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Yeah, Chalmers makes a lot of sense. However, if CDR is on the board (like in Ford's mock draft), that'd be a tough decision.

Realistically, the Spurs have a need for both players. Therefore, if a scenario exists where both are available as the draft enters the 20's, it makes Marcus' trade scenario with Seattle to acquire pick #24, even more of a good idea.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99486

With no first rounder next year, the Spurs need to creatively find a way to "double-dip" in the first round of this years draft.

T Park
06-19-2008, 04:24 PM
wow if you could pull off Chalmers AND CDR?

I know it aint happening, but, damn that would be nice....

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-19-2008, 04:32 PM
wow if you could pull off Chalmers AND CDR?

I know it aint happening, but, damn that would be nice....

I agree.

ace3g
06-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Draft Report: Mario Chalmers Of Kansas

Mario Chalmers is the third best true point guard in this draft and though there is a humongous gap between he and Derrick Rose and is surely behind D.J. Augustin, he has the makings of a solid starter at the position.

His handoff from Sherron Collins where he dribbled left and his a high arching 3-point shot over Rose is already part of folklore.

He has a great burst of speed into the crossover and knifes into the lane really well to create floaters and dish offs.

But Chalmers will also use pre-dribble ball fakes before getting into his dribble.

He will frequently dribble into the defender and then pull back for a mid-range jumper with the space he creates. Chalmers uses this bump a lot and is brilliant at it.

Chalmers has really nice tempo coming off pick and rolls while getting into the middle. He is comfortable getting doubled here and will be patient and poised.

He has great balance penetrating into the lane and has enough hang time and body control while in the air to dodge potential shot blockers.

He’s not the absolute most gifted passer, but is a good one for a point guard. He gets the ball to the man rolling to the hoop at the ideal time, making sure he draws help defenders to maximize his teammates’ potential openness. Chalmers also has an ideal delivery on the drive and kick. His decision-making is extremely mature and he had a huge jump in his assist-to-turnover ratio from 1.36 to 2.25 this year.

Chalmers is really more about timing and feel than pure imagination as a passer, which is not necessarily a bad thing for a point guard expected to keep things organized rather than absolutely run the show.

One area that he must improve upon is when he goes baseline and hits a dead end- he ends up leaving his feet to either get a shot off or pass it away. The shot is low percentage and the pass is turnover prone. He should instead preserve his dribble and get out of the area and reset the offense, something Steve Nash and Chris Paul do flawlessly.

He has great speed in transition, not nearly as fast as a Ty Lawson, but is plenty quick enough and is more effective at changing speeds. He also has enough elevation and length to finish open dunks.

Another area of his game that is much stronger than Lawson and your average point guard is how well he moves without the ball. He makes great backdoor cuts, grabs handoffs and really can play well without the ball in the halfcourt. His path when curling around for shots is excellent, as he squares up and has his body aligned with the hoop ahead of time.

Chalmers’ shot mechanics are very good and not surprisingly he was a 47.8% from beyond the arc. His shot is compact, nearly perfect and extremely consistent. Chalmers will rarely miss a perimeter shot to the left or right. He has great range and can extend it to the pro line already.

Importantly, Chalmers shoot it very well when contested. On the catch-and-shoot, he has an incredibly quick release and therefore isn’t concerned with getting it blocked.

The 3-point shot is available to him in transition because of how quickly and smoothly he can jump stop into it.

Defensively, Chalmers will get a ton of steals with his quickness and cunning. He pokes a lot of balls away from post players when helping.

He also gets a lot of on-ball picks against the dribbler in the open floor.

Chalmers also gets into the passing lanes incredibly well with his long arms and quick feet.

If he isn’t valuable enough on the defensive end of the ball, Chalmers also really enjoys scrapping for defensive rebounds.

There are a lot of teams that need point guards and I have a lot of respect for GMs that disregard how much 'value' they think their slot needs to yield and simply draft the best fit. Even though Chalmers is unlikely to become an All-Star, he will vastly improve the team that selects him.

http://realgm.com/src_fromtherafters/199/20080619/draft_report_mario_chalmers_of_kansas/

SPURSGOAT
06-19-2008, 05:24 PM
get SUPER MARIO!!!!!

timvp
06-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Chad (Sacramento): Would chalmers be a good fit in Utah backing up D-Will?

SportsNation Chad Ford: Yes, but I'm starting to believe he won't be there. I think the Suns are looking seriously at him at No. 15. I think that's a little high for Chalmers, but I do like him. As for the Jazz, I think they'll go big.

Steve Kerr strikes again :rolleyes

Although Chalmers at 15 would be a hell of a reach, I could see Kerr doing it if he thinks the Spurs are going to try to trade up to the late teens to try to nab Chalmers.

Lawson pulling out basically ended any shot at Chalmers at 26 for the Spurs :depressed

DMX7
06-19-2008, 06:44 PM

Although Chalmers at 15 would be a hell of a reach, I could see Kerr doing it if he thinks the Spurs are going to try to trade up to the late teens to try to nab Chalmers.

Lawson pulling out basically ended any shot at Chalmers at 26 for the Spurs :depressed

That would be mega lame if they did that. We need Chalmers because we don't even have a 1st round pick next year.

AFBlue
06-19-2008, 06:46 PM
Spurs aren't in desperate need of a backup PG, but Chalmers would've been a luxury had he fallen to #26.....and that doesn't look plausible at this point.

Oh well....now the Spurs can concentrate on the wing positions.

SPURSGOAT
06-19-2008, 06:47 PM
damn Kerr!!! screwing us over every chance he gets...

SPURSGOAT
06-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Spurs aren't in desperate need of a backup PG, but Chalmers would've been a luxury had he fallen to #26.....and that doesn't look plausible at this point.

Oh well....now the Spurs can concentrate on the wing positions.

What!? the spurs are hurting pretty bad at the backup PG spot... Vaughn is horrible... he has decent D but not much else...

AFBlue
06-19-2008, 06:49 PM
damn Kerr!!! screwing us over every chance he gets...

It's just a rumor....and there are a TON of those flying around. Suns also rumored to be interested in Rush and a few others.

Bottom Line: SOMEONE of value is dropping to the Spurs at #26, even if it's not Chalmers.

AFBlue
06-19-2008, 06:51 PM
What!? the spurs are hurting pretty bad at the backup PG spot... Vaughn is horrible... he has decent D but not much else...

Vaughn and Barry this year....and maybe a second rounder or free agent.

When you've got Parker with the ability to play 35 solid minutes a game, PG is not as big a need as wing, where there are nothing but one-dimensional aged vets.

AFBlue
06-19-2008, 06:52 PM

BTW, I'm not suggesting that it's NOT a need....just that there are other, bigger needs.

oligarchy
06-19-2008, 10:42 PM
Perhaps George Hill for a PG?

Edit: not at 26.

T Park
06-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Damn, Chalmers would be a great backup point for Porter to tudor.

Darnt.

Blackjack
06-19-2008, 10:52 PM
BTW, I'm not suggesting that it's NOT a need....just that there are other, bigger needs.

Bigger needs I guess is arguable, but as far as using the draft to fill our needs immediately? Chalmers is the best option available, assuming he falls in the early to mid 20's.

All of the wings likely available to the Spurs will take more time to develop, and probably won't be able to impact the game the way Chalmers can. The scoring wing needs to be addressed through trade/free-agency.

K-State Spur
06-19-2008, 10:53 PM

Year-in year-out, Chad Ford's reliability ranks right up there with Hoopsworld.

NuGGeTs-FaN
06-20-2008, 01:06 AM
With what money are the Nuggets paying these guys with?

not mine, so i dont really care :lol

Pistons < Spurs
06-23-2008, 10:02 PM
As New Orleans Hornets blog Hornets247 reports, New Orleans has been conducting very few workouts with first round caliber players, leading some to suspect that some kind of trade may be in place. Representatives of more than one team told DraftExpress that they believe the Hornets actually promised Mario Chalmers that he will not get past them at 27, leading him to decide to keep his name in the draft and hire an agent. The problem is that Chalmers very well may not be there at 27, as he is reportedly getting heavy looks from teams like Phoenix at 15, Cleveland at 19, and especially Denver at 20. Chalmers continues to work out in the meantime for teams such as Portland and Indiana.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Word-on-the-Street-Rounding-Up-2940/

timvp
06-24-2008, 01:52 AM
Internet rumors are swirling that the San Antonio Spurs, whose general manager R.C. Buford is the father of current KU player Chase Buford, promised Chalmers they would take him if he was still available at No. 26.

http://www.kansan.com/stories/2008/jun/24/oh_places_hawks_will_go/

Kindergarten Cop
06-24-2008, 08:27 AM
Chad Ford's latest mock has Chalmers shooting all the way up to Sacramento at #12.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-080623

The skinny: The Kings might have a tough choice here: Go for an upside pick in Anthony Randolph or fill a need at the point in Chalmers.

Randolph has scared away a lot of teams with his lack of strength and a skill set that looks several years away from being fully NBA-ready.

Chalmers, on the other hand, is seen as one of the most NBA-ready players in the draft. He's an excellent shooter and defender who knows how to get to the basket. His workouts have been so positive that he's no longer a reach here at No. 12.

Another option for the Kings is Roy Hibbert. Like Chalmers, Hibbert wouldn't be an upside pick. But he would be able to step in right away and contribute.

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2008, 09:28 AM
It wouldn't shock me if the Spurs dealt up and took Chalmers with that pick.

duncan228
07-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Chalmers looks to be a quick study

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/07/05/bc.bkn.heat.chalmers.ap/index.html