06-01-2008, 11:25 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/brandon_rush.jpg

Full Name: Brandon Leray Rush
Position: Guard
Height/Weight: 6-6 / 210
Birthdate: July 7, 1985
High School: Mount Zion Academy HS
College: Kansas

NBA (http://www.nba.com/draft2008/profiles/BrandonRush.html)
NBADraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/brandonrush.html)
DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Brandon-Rush-78/)

50 cent
06-01-2008, 11:48 PM
I would be very pleased with Rush.

Kori Ellis
06-01-2008, 11:50 PM
The other Rush brothers didn't pan out, but this one should be good.

kobyz
06-01-2008, 11:53 PM
the favorite, if he still on the board we most take him

E20
06-01-2008, 11:54 PM
What's he projected to be drafted at? It says can play the 3, possible young swing player. From Mt. Zion as well, maybe he has some T-Mac in him.

Indazone
06-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Cant we just put all these draft prospect threads into one thread?

remingtonbo2001
06-01-2008, 11:55 PM
If he falls in the 20's, I'd consider trying to trade up for him.

Spur-Addict
06-01-2008, 11:56 PM
What's he projected to be drafted at? It says can play the 3, possible young swing player. From Mt. Zion as well, maybe he has some T-Mac in him.

That's one thing that def is not in him. But, he's a solid player.

E20
06-01-2008, 11:56 PM

That's what Kori does after they are all posted.

Kori Ellis
06-01-2008, 11:57 PM

Read the thread stuck at the top of the forum.

Pistons < Spurs
06-02-2008, 12:00 AM
I really believe that B Rush would be the best possible option for the Spurs. As a Spurs and a KU fan, I'd love to see him land in San Antonio.

exstatic
06-02-2008, 12:00 AM

Why? So your troll shit doesn't get knocked into the oblivion it so richly deserves?

montgod
06-02-2008, 12:11 AM
Wasn't overly impressed with him, but I think he could easily come aboard a team like the Spurs and do well since he knows how to play a role. Whether it be score, defend whatever... and he is smart.

K-State Spur
06-02-2008, 12:29 AM
I kinda hope somebody else grabs him before us.

I think he'll be fine in most assets of the game, but I don't see him being particularly above average at any of them at the NBA level.

He's got a pretty rough handle which makes him not more than a jumpshooter at the NBA level, no matter how athletic he is.

mystargtr34
06-02-2008, 12:32 AM
I really believe that B Rush would be the best possible option for the Spurs. As a Spurs and a KU fan, I'd love to see him land in San Antonio.

Who are you most hoping falls to you guys... other than Courtney Lee.

Pistons < Spurs
06-02-2008, 12:47 AM
A backup for Tay at SF...who could also play SG would be great. I like Lee a lot. But a PF/C is a much bigger need right now. There's free agent SF's to be had. But our frontcourt is old and flawed. We need an interior presence and a quality rebounder. DeVon Hardin is my favorite right now based upon who might be available.

A lot depends on whether Minnesota gives us the 2nd rounder they owe us this year, or wait till next year. It's conceivable that we could get Lee and Hardin both this year w/ that draft pick. And I expect Dumars to make some significant moves, so it's hard to say what we might need or do.

Marcus Bryant
06-02-2008, 12:53 AM

What's it to you?

angelbelow
06-02-2008, 01:28 AM
brandon rush is an obvious go if he lands at our draft spot. probably the most important player on the championship team this year. im a fan of drafting winners from winning programs.

K-State Spur
06-02-2008, 01:29 AM
most important player on the championship team

so was mateen cleaves.

angelbelow
06-02-2008, 01:34 AM
so was mateen cleaves.

well more often than not they turn out to be at least rotational players. how about we have a private battle, everyteam you name a "most important player on a winning team" that turns out to be a flop, i'll name a "most important player on a winning team" that turned out to be just fine.

i'll start with al horford.

K-State Spur
06-02-2008, 01:41 AM
i think rush will be a rotational player, but that's about all i think he'll do.

i'm not really sure about the 'most important player on a winning team' really applies to him as much. it wasn't like KU leaned on him like Syracuse did on Melo. the jayhawks were about as much an ensemble as i've seen in recent years. they were very very balanced on both ends of the floor. at any given point in the tournament, you could make a strong argument that rush, chalmers, collins, or even sasha kaun was the most important player to that team.

freedom&justice
06-02-2008, 01:44 AM
A backup for Tay at SF...who could also play SG would be great. I like Lee a lot. But a PF/C is a much bigger need right now. There's free agent SF's to be had. But our frontcourt is old and flawed. We need an interior presence and a quality rebounder. DeVon Hardin is my favorite right now based upon who might be available.

A lot depends on whether Minnesota gives us the 2nd rounder they owe us this year, or wait till next year. It's conceivable that we could get Lee and Hardin both this year w/ that draft pick. And I expect Dumars to make some significant moves, so it's hard to say what we might need or do.

They're keeping it for this year. Let's just hope they do even worse next year.

angelbelow
06-02-2008, 02:03 AM
i think rush will be a rotational player, but that's about all i think he'll do.

i'm not really sure about the 'most important player on a winning team' really applies to him as much. it wasn't like KU leaned on him like Syracuse did on Melo. the jayhawks were about as much an ensemble as i've seen in recent years. they were very very balanced on both ends of the floor. at any given point in the tournament, you could make a strong argument that rush, chalmers, collins, or even sasha kaun was the most important player to that team.

thats fair, but i think he still fills a need as of now. if he replaced finley as our starting sg, im pretty sure he would do better at this stage. maybe we can get chalmers in the 2nd round as well.

K-State Spur
06-02-2008, 02:07 AM
i'm not sure that better than finley is saying much at this point.

i still vastly prefer guys like CDR or Courtney Lee at this point.

angelbelow
06-02-2008, 02:18 AM
courtney lee is another great player i would love to have. perhaps another team can draft rush and leave lee to us. im not sure about CDR, watching him this season he didnt stand out to me anymore than rush did.

K-State Spur
06-02-2008, 02:27 AM
i'll add this - which in part describes my preference for CDR - i like the idea of drafting a wing who is a slasher. we saw what happened in the playoffs when we couldn't get the ball to the rim. defenses just crowded the shooters which resulted in some ugly jumpers.

and rush - at least right now - is not a guy who can reliably take the ball to the hole. he's a great athlete, but his handle ranges from iffy to terrible, and he really struggles to go left.

he provides some things that finley does not - rebounding, defense. but offensively, i think he'd play pretty similar to finley in style.

Lee isn't really a slasher either, but I think his jumper and ability to get the shot off is quite a bit better than the other 2 guys.

angelbelow
06-02-2008, 02:38 AM
i'll add this - which in part describes my preference for CDR - i like the idea of drafting a wing who is a slasher. we saw what happened in the playoffs when we couldn't get the ball to the rim. defenses just crowded the shooters which resulted in some ugly jumpers.

and rush - at least right now - is not a guy who can reliably take the ball to the hole. he's a great athlete, but his handle ranges from iffy to terrible, and he really struggles to go left.

he provides some things that finley does not - rebounding, defense. but offensively, i think he'd play pretty similar to finley in style.

Lee isn't really a slasher either, but I think his jumper and ability to get the shot off is quite a bit better than the other 2 guys.

agreed, your describtion of rush is exactly why i wouldnt mind him because he could provide defense. Agreed on lee being the better of the 2 also.

mountainballer
06-02-2008, 03:54 AM
I agree that Rush would be a very nice addition and looks almost perfect considering what we need.
but I see the chance to get him at 5% at best. there are just to many other teams out there, that are looking for such a player and are picking ahead of us. and reading some other teams sites and also reports about the draft needs, many are very high on Rush. word is that the Suns have him on top of their list, which would mean he goes at 15. even is not, Nets, Magic, Cavs and Nuggets are teams that could take him.
the point is, that there are few doubts that he will be a decent role player at worst. so he will be a low risk pick for team that already have enough star power, but are lacking depth.

btw. I like the Eddie Jones comparison best (as the best case) and think that also the other comparison Azubuike is accurate. (as worst case)

kobyz
06-02-2008, 04:12 AM
taking Rush will be a dream, he can take finley role and give more consistent 3 point shot than finley this year, better athlete, better defence and better rebound.

still i dont think he will be available in the 26 pick, so i think we need to make a little trade to move up in the draft.

SenorSpur
06-02-2008, 12:40 PM
I agree. IMO, this would be THE guy. Sure, he's got some warts, but does appear to be one of the most NBA swingmen in the draft. Him being avaiable at the Spursn pick, would be a dream.

Spurtacus
06-03-2008, 12:04 AM
So he can shoot. How's his defense?

kobyz
06-03-2008, 03:12 AM

very good, he was the best defender on the Kansas team

mystargtr34
06-03-2008, 03:58 AM
Still prefer Batum

But hes likely to be gone so Rush would be my choice.

angelbelow
06-03-2008, 04:05 AM
in chad fords (not sure how good he is from year to year) but chad has rush going at 15. not sure if he'll fall that low to us..

Spurs da champs
06-03-2008, 10:02 AM
I read about this guy heard he has a good jump shot and he played Kevin Durant well. I don't really pay attention to college basketball.

K-State Spur
06-03-2008, 10:22 AM
I read about this guy heard he has a good jump shot and he played Kevin Durant well. I don't really pay attention to college basketball.

He did do the best job on Durant of anybody I saw last year. However, I think that's led to his defense being overrated a bit.

Don't get me wrong - he's still a good defender. I just don't see that he's a great defender.

Both Chalmers & Robinson were better and more consistent defenders than Rush this past season.

mystargtr34
06-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Chalmers didnt face to many PG's over 6 foot in college though.

K-State Spur
06-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Chalmers often guarded the opponent's best perimeter player, unless that was a wing who was much bigger.

Mario goes about 6'1, but he's strong and his wingspan is that of a 6'3 or 6'4 player.

He was the one hounding Rose most of the championship game, meanwhile CDR was having pretty good success against Rush, et al

50 cent
06-03-2008, 11:18 AM
I think I prefer Batum over Rush, but I would be happy with this pick.

Brutalis
06-04-2008, 04:08 AM
Rush would be a great fit for SA as well as for himself.

I will however ramble for a second knowing we have no shot at drafting him.

Rush is one of those rare breeds. Personally reminds me of Joe Johnson who was only at Arkansas for 1.5 years. He is a flat out horse, hustler, and can jump through the rough--exactly what the Spurs need in a player he is fundamental, well rounded and doesn't possess a major weakness other than injury prone risks.

To me landing Rush would be a dream. And if I am SA hierarchy, I am looking to trade up in this draft, or someone trade for him. He is that good and I rarely admire a kid this much coming out of college.

angelbelow
06-04-2008, 04:55 AM
Chalmers often guarded the opponent's best perimeter player, unless that was a wing who was much bigger.

Mario goes about 6'1, but he's strong and his wingspan is that of a 6'3 or 6'4 player.

He was the one hounding Rose most of the championship game, meanwhile CDR was having pretty good success against Rush, et al

the more people talk about chalmers the more i like him. we need to trade up to get him.

mystargtr34
06-04-2008, 07:46 AM
Strange Rush and CDR didnt measure at the combine

A.H 21-50
06-04-2008, 07:48 AM
the more people talk about chalmers the more i like him. we need to trade up to get him.

trading up to have a back up PG, no way and he could be here when the spurs pick
If we trade up in the draft i think it will be for a must need like a wing player or a good big if splitters tays in tau

Mr. Body
06-04-2008, 08:20 AM

It most likley won't be necessary. He'll be available perhaps until the very start of the second.

K-State Spur
06-04-2008, 09:14 AM
doesn't possess a major weakness other than injury prone risks.

He has a terrible handle, can't create his own shot, can't get to the rim, gets lazy on defense for long stretches, has been known to completely disappear in some games, and there are some minor off the court issues as well.

Now, that probably tears him down more than he deserves. I think he'll be an NBA rotation player sooner than later. But to say that he has no weaknesses is ridiculous.

However, I expect him to be more of a poor man's Luke Walton as opposed to a Joe Johnson type of player.

K-State Spur
06-04-2008, 09:15 AM

If you are referring to the second round picks - then that would make sense.

It would not make sense to move up from 26 for Chalmers.

mountainballer
06-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Strange Rush and CDR didnt measure at the combine

Lee, Walker, Budinger and Chalmers also didn't. (Rush did the test in 2005.) I hate it, that almost all our potential targets didn't show up. all top players showed up and risked to get bad numbers. (like Lopez in the sprint and agility test). but this guys pass???

K-State Spur
06-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Lee, Walker, Budinger and Chalmers also didn't. (Rush did the test in 2005.) I hate it, that almost all our potential targets didn't show up. all top players showed up and risked to get bad numbers. (like Lopez in the sprint and agility test). but this guys pass???

The only one of that group who isn't obviously big enough to play his position is Chalmers - and RC can use his relationship with Bill Self to get that data without fear of being bullshitted.

SenorSpur
06-04-2008, 10:36 AM

Rush is one of those rare breeds. Personally reminds me of Joe Johnson who was only at Arkansas for 1.5 years. He is a flat out horse, hustler, and can jump through the rough--exactly what the Spurs need in a player he is fundamental, well rounded and doesn't possess a major weakness other than injury prone risks.

To me landing Rush would be a dream. And if I am SA hierarchy, I am looking to trade up in this draft, or someone trade for him. He is that good and I rarely admire a kid this much coming out of college.

Rush does seem to have the appropriate physical abilities and emotional maturity needed to step in and contribute. While you never know about these things, the latest mock draft (Version 3.0) has him falling to San Antonio @ #26.

http://realgm.com/src_feature/1253/20080603/2008_nba_mock_draft_version_90_(post_camp_edition)/

SenorSpur
06-04-2008, 10:41 AM

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Brandon-Rush-78/

Strengths:

Rush is a smooth and effortless swingman with outstanding size, length, athleticism and offensive instincts.

Offensively, Rush shows the ability to score from almost anywhere on the court. He has terrific instincts to put the ball inside the basket, and it’s always been clear that basketball comes very easy (maybe too easy…) for him, particularly when it comes to scoring. He’s one of the most accurate outside shooters in the NCAA, shooting 51% from behind the arc this season on about three attempts per game. His mechanics are not pretty or particularly conventional, especially with his ability to utilize his athleticism and get better lift on his jump-shot, but it goes in for him at a good enough clip that there probably isn’t any reason to worry or change it besides improving the quickness of his release.

On the defensive end, Rush has never been known as a great half-court man to man defender, but has shown the willingness and ability to get better during the course of his freshman year. He has great potential here thanks to his terrific length, quickness and frame; and has used this numerous times already to come up with some very nice blocked shots both on the perimeter and recovering from the weak-side inside the paint, or even to step in once in a while and take a charge. His rebounding has been very good this year for Kansas, elevating high off the ground, not being afraid to mix it up boxing out and showing great hands rebounding out of his area.

Weaknesses:

As a player that freely admits to never really being coached before being thrown straight into the fire for a very young Kansas team, Rush is lacking a lot of experience and savvy at this point in his career.

His slashing ability is probably the area that raises the most concern. Never known as a great ball-handler, Rush has problems taking advantage of his athletic gifts to get himself easy shots around the basket, particularly in half-court sets. Being used to just overpowering high school players with his strength and athleticism, he’s missing a lot of the crafty moves that most NBA wing players have in their repertoire to create space and free themselves up on the perimeter. Rush is averaging just over 2 free throw attempts per game at the time of this report, which is an alarmingly low number for a player with his physical gifts. Beyond his average ball-skills, he just does not take the ball strong enough to the hoop. Many will wonder whether he is tough enough to capitalize on his athleticism until he proves them wrong. His left hand is extremely poor, and any NBA advance scout worth his salt will pick up on that immediately and tell his coaching staff to force him to either go left or just give up the ball if he's not spotting up for an open 3-pointer.

Defensively, Rush is again lacking experience defending high caliber players on the perimeter. He was always the unquestioned star of his AAU and prep school team, and therefore wasn’t expected to participate in the little defense they played on the court anyway. As mentioned already, he has excellent potential in this part of his game, but isn’t always 100% focused on staying in front of his man. Good coaching, more practice against better offensive players and especially adding some strength to his excellent frame will help him here, particularly in the lower body. He appears to be more of a small forward than a shooting guard anyway, so bulking up will be a priority for him to guard the bigger and stronger players we usually find at the 3 spot in the NBA.

MoSpur
06-04-2008, 10:46 AM
I doubt the Spurs land this guy. Its too good to be true.

urunobili
06-04-2008, 02:12 PM

wow this is a brutal compliment from you :tu

Brutalis
06-04-2008, 03:49 PM
I meant to say roof. Hahaha.

Rush is just the shit man, more complete player than all but 3 guys in this draft.

Bruno
06-06-2008, 09:50 AM
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2008/jun/06/jayhawks_represent_state_well/

though there’s some evidence the San Antonio Spurs might try to deal for him

tav1
06-06-2008, 09:59 AM

Bruno, you own google.

Thanks for this.

I'd rather the Spurs sat at 26 and picked between CDR-Rush-Lee than moved ahead to get Rush. I prefer Lee of those three, but all of them project as decent rotation level talent.

If the Spurs move up, let it be for a big swinger. I'd like them to buy a pick and keep their 26, but I'm greedy and gluttonous that way.

Mr. Body
06-06-2008, 10:30 AM
How the fuck are the Spurs going to move up in the draft? Excuse my French, but what fucking assets do they have to move up with? If they couldn't move up a few slots to get Daegquan Cqook last year with Luis Scola's rights what chance do they have this year?

silk
06-06-2008, 10:32 AM
According to spursreport, spurs may want to make a deal to move up in the draft in order to get Rush, i wonder what would be the deal, involving bonner maybe ?

Could they renounce to mahinmi ? ( i don't think so but i don't see him contributing that much next year especially if the spurs land a decent big man, ala ronny turiaf..)

tav1
06-06-2008, 10:34 AM
How the fuck are the Spurs going to move up in the draft? Excuse my French, but what fucking assets do they have to move up with? If they couldn't move up a few slots to get Daegquan Cqook last year with Luis Scola's rights what chance do they have this year?

$$$

Bruno
06-06-2008, 10:34 AM
According to spursreport

it's according to kusports.

Give credits to people who deserve it.

silk
06-06-2008, 10:38 AM
yes but you know, at this point, all of this is just food for thought anyway

remingtonbo2001
06-06-2008, 10:44 AM

Bonner and the Beno trade exception.

mountainballer
06-06-2008, 10:46 AM

if they package all their 2nd rounders with their 1st rounder, a team like the Nets might be willing to give the #21 pick. 2nd rounders have become more of an asset, if a team wants to draft international.
not that I wish that this happens. Spurs should even think about trading down and get more picks in the 2nd round. (#31 and #34 from the Wolves for the #26 pick) this would allow to either pick international (Casspi, Asik) and not be enchained by the rookie scale, or to adress more needs.
31, 34 and 45 could deliver a PG, a wing and a big. (Chalmers+ Asik+ Hairstone. just as an example)

Mr. Body
06-06-2008, 10:49 AM
if they package all their 2nd rounders with their 1st rounder, a team like the Nets might be willing to give the #21 pick. 2nd rounders have become more of an asset, if a team wants to draft international.
not that I wish that this happens. Spurs should even think about trading down and get more picks in the 2nd round. (#31 and #34 from the Wolves for the #26 pick) this would allow to either pick international (Casspi, Asik) and not be enchained by the rookie scale, or to adress more needs.
31, 34 and 45 could deliver a PG, a wing and a big. (Chalmers+ Asik+ Hairstone. just as an example)

The only reasonable reply. The trade exception cannot be coupled in this way, I don't think. Bonner is next to worthless because of his contract.

The Wolves or Blazers picks are extremely attractive to me right now. In my estimation the team needs two rookies on the team, in addition to Mahinmi. They absolutely have to pull a productive rookie out of the draft, and in order to be competitive probably two.

A.H 21-50
06-06-2008, 10:52 AM
The only reasonable reply. The trade exception cannot be coupled in this way, I don't think. Bonner is next to worthless because of his contract.

The Wolves or Blazers picks are extremely attractive to me right now. In my estimation the team needs two rookies on the team, in addition to Mahinmi. They absolutely have to pull a productive rookie out of the draft, and in order to be competitive probably two.

the problem is imo that we could'nt land two or three good rookies with second round picks maybe one

Mr. Body
06-06-2008, 10:59 AM
the problem is imo that we could'nt land two or three good rookies with second round picks maybe one

There are two ways to do it... draft at 26 (don't screw it up) and nail the 45 pick.

Or...

Trade the 26 to the Blazers or Wolves for their 2 very early 2nd rounders. I've opined elsewhere in threads that IMO the best value per pick in the entire draft is in the first 10 picks of the second round. That is, best value of players available in relation to what picks will get them. (Same with about 17-22.) That is, there will be players available in the 30-40 range who could easily be late 1st rounders and go early 20s.

It'd be a gamble, but guys like Chalmers and Lee could be available there who are worth the 26 pick alone.

tav1
06-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Brandon Rush has been working out against CDR and getting the better of him. Rush, from what is being reported looks like a solid defensive player right off.

My question of Lee-CDR-Rush is if any of three can step in and play 20 minutes a game next year. If the answer is yes to any of the three, I say draft him, even if if one of the others has a higher upside in two years or more.

Still, I'd like the Spurs to buy a higher pick and swing for the fences with it. In the second round they can take fliers on a wing (Casspi) or a point or someone freakishly athletic. I don't expect much from those picks, but maybe we can strike oil.

A.H 21-50
06-06-2008, 11:11 AM
There are two ways to do it... draft at 26 (don't screw it up) and nail the 45 pick.

Or...

Trade the 26 to the Blazers or Wolves for their 2 very early 2nd rounders. I've opined elsewhere in threads that IMO the best value per pick in the entire draft is in the first 10 picks of the second round. That is, best value of players available in relation to what picks will get them. (Same with about 17-22.) That is, there will be players available in the 30-40 range who could easily be late 1st rounders and go early 20s.

It'd be a gamble, but guys like Chalmers and Lee could be available there who are worth the 26 pick alone.

maybe you could have a late first pick or a pick in the 30's without trading our pick by using cash like portland last year
some teams like nj couldn't go with a lot of rookies in their roster

for rush i think it can be a good option for the spurs and can give us some minutes next year

Mr. Body
06-06-2008, 11:13 AM
maybe you could have a late first pick or a pick in the 30's without trading our pick by using cash like portland last year
some teams like nj couldn't go with a lot of rookies in their roster

for rush i think it can be a good option for the spurs and can give us some minutes next year

Yes, however it's done. My somewhat arbitrary line is that we need two productive rookies on the team. Don't have to be hugely productive, but we need something. I just don't see us moving up in the draft.

timvp
06-06-2008, 02:04 PM
With as horrible as the Spurs domestic scouting has been, I'm fine with Buford relying on Bill Self for advice. If Self tells him that Rush is the player the Spurs have to go out and get, I trust Self more than any domestic scout the Spurs have. If that means the Spurs packaging #26 with one of their second rounder and $3M to move up ..... that's what needs to happen.

Same with Chalmers. If Self says Chalmers is the guy, RC should listen to the advice.

Mr. Body
06-06-2008, 02:07 PM
With as horrible as the Spurs domestic scouting has been, I'm fine with Buford relying on Bill Self for advice. If Self tells him that Rush is the player the Spurs have to go out and get, I trust Self more than any domestic scout the Spurs have. If that means the Spurs packaging #26 with one of their second rounder and $3M to move up ..... that's what needs to happen.

Same with Chalmers. If Self says Chalmers is the guy, RC should listen to the advice.

What if he says they're both the guy? What then?

What if Sampson says DJ White is the guy?

If we get all three, we're set though.

mountainballer
06-06-2008, 02:30 PM
What if he says they're both the guy? What then?

What if Sampson says DJ White is the guy?

If we get all three, we're set though.

I just had this horror vision. Spurs in fact somehow draft Rush at 26, Chalmers at 45 and White at 57, but then we learn that they have traded Rush to the Suns for a future pick, used Chalmers as a teaser for a trade with the Mavs to get rid of Bonner's contract and can't find an agreement with White, because they don't want to give him guaranteed money, so he leaves for Europe.

SenorSpur
06-06-2008, 02:41 PM

Slim, unless they're looking at giving up one or both of their 2nd rounders. The Spurs may very well may be able to land Rush him at 26. However, I wouldn't be too upset if they feel strongly about moving up to secure him.

SenorSpur
06-06-2008, 02:42 PM

Sure would like to know what evidence they are referring to.

angelbelow
06-06-2008, 03:51 PM
the trade exception could work.

AFBlue
06-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Most likely scenario....

Spurs have a trade worked out with a team in the early 20s to draft Brandon Rush and then swap picks. If Brandon Rush is off the board by the pick, Spurs have a trade worked out to back out of the first round and pick up both of the early second rounders from either Minnesota or Portland.

Brutalis
06-06-2008, 04:45 PM
I think with the age of this team, and how we were getting beat in games in the playoffs shows Pop and RC have little choice here if they want to stay where we're at and have been over the years.

Rush would do so well in silver and black considering he stays healthy for a change. I really hope SA does what it takes, -move bonner, trade exception, 2nd rounders, I don't care. We need this guy.

AFBlue
06-06-2008, 04:48 PM
We need this guy.

Spurs need youth and athleticism on the wing. I think Brandon Rush is one of, if not the best candidate to fill that role. And if the Spurs like him, I'm all for it.

But, I do there there are a couple other players that have that youth and athleticism the Spurs could turn to if Rush is off the board or they can't move up to grab him.

Bottom Line: It's not a failed draft if they don't get this guy. But it would be a success if they did.

SenorSpur
06-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Rush or Batum would be fantastic.

AFBlue
06-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Rush or Batum would be fantastic.

Prefer Rush, only because I see his game seems to be more NBA-ready.

But yes, Batum would be great...as would Walker for that matter.

SenorSpur
06-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Prefer Rush, only because I see his game seems to be more NBA-ready.

But yes, Batum would be great...as would Walker for that matter.

I hear ya. Something tells me that Rush will be available for the Spurs @ #26. He would be such a great fit for this team.

timvp
06-06-2008, 05:53 PM
I like Rush and think he'd fit right away but there are a couple shaky factors with him. First of all, his ACL tear makes him somewhat of an injury risk. And then you also have to consider how his two brothers pretty much just bombed at the same age. JaRon and Kareem aren't the best of examples. JaRon basically drank himself out of basketball. Kareem was a solid talent who just kinda gave up on the game for a couple years before finding his way back. That bloodline is iffy.

AFBlue
06-06-2008, 06:05 PM
I like Rush and think he'd fit right away but there are a couple shaky factors with him. First of all, his ACL tear makes him somewhat of an injury risk. And then you also have to consider how his two brothers pretty much just bombed at the same age. JaRon and Kareem aren't the best of examples. JaRon basically drank himself out of basketball. Kareem was a solid talent who just kinda gave up on the game for a couple years before finding his way back. That bloodline is iffy.

:lol @ the bloodline example.

I think his ACL could be a concern, but my biggest issue with him is the tendency for him to rely on his jumpshot and not take advantage of his athletic ability. I understand the ACL tear worrying him a bit, but I think he could stand to be more aggressive as a player.

Other than that, he seems to be the one attainable player with the combination of size, athleticism, and NBA-ready talent in this draft. If still on the board at #26, he'd be my top choice...hands down.

And FWIW, Kareem had a decent year with the Indiana Pacers. :lol

timvp
06-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Yeah it was good to see Kareem back after taking a one year vacation.

I agree that Rush is a nice pick at 26. Hopefully the ACL and bloodline concerns stop others from picking him earlier :)

Mr. Body
06-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Rush coming back from an ACL injury and helping win an NCAA championship go a long way to alleviate character or focus concerns.

AFBlue
06-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Rush coming back from an ACL injury and helping win an NCAA championship go a long way to alleviate character or focus concerns.

Yeah, damn the luck. If Kansas had just gone through another typical year of early-round exit then there would probably be little doubt about him being on the board at #26.

timvp
06-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Rush coming back from an ACL injury and helping win an NCAA championship go a long way to alleviate character or focus concerns.Joakim Noah must have forgot to take that championship character course at Florida.

:king

AFBlue
06-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Joakim Noah must have forgot to take that championship character course at Florida.

:king

I think he was referring to Rush's apparent lack of motivation or tendency to "coast". During the championship run he showed a grit/toughness that I don't think he had previously displayed.

Noah was a nut in college, but it was inspirational to his young teammates. He just couldn't pull off the crazy act with his much more veteran, experienced Chicago squad.

DannyB
06-06-2008, 09:14 PM
You can't have Brandon Rush, he's ours at # 15. Mark my words.

DannyB
06-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Check out the ESPN.com mock draft 3.0

The Suns have expressed great interest in Rush to shore up their shaky 2 guard spot, plus he's got 7' wingspan and size and defensive ability that will probably allow him to slide over to the 3 spot too ... perfect fit for the Suns, they love him, and they have that # 15 pick from Atlanta.

Spurs will not even get a shot at him. He'll be in Phoenix before your number even comes up.

AFBlue
06-06-2008, 09:20 PM
You can't have Brandon Rush, he's ours at # 15. Mark my words.

Bet the Suns go Budinger after a solid workout. West coast kid that played in-state....good jumpshooter, solid athlete.

He's far and away a much more Phoenix-type pick.

yavozerb
06-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Bet the Suns go Budinger after a solid workout. West coast kid that played in-state....good jumpshooter, solid athlete.

He's far and away a much more Phoenix-type pick.

Budinger is the old style (D'antoni) suns pick..Rush is more what Kerr is trying to get in current suns players

AFBlue
06-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Budinger is the old style (D'antoni) suns pick..Rush is more what Kerr is trying to get in current suns players

Damn the Spurs for producing such heady executives!

Mr. Body
06-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Budinger still isn't a bad pick for Phoenix. He's still athletic, talented, and homestate. And white.

AFBlue
06-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Suns could also go Donte Greene, but I get the point that Rush may be gone by the time the Spurs pick.

A.H 21-50
06-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Suns could also go Donte Greene, but I get the point that Rush may be gone by the time the Spurs pick.

With our pick i'm not worry if the spurs want the best player available they will find him beacause there's some good players in this draft who will fell to no.26 , it's almost a certitude

AFBlue
06-06-2008, 09:50 PM
With our pick i'm not worry if the spurs want the best player available they will find him beacause there's some good players in this draft who will fell to no.26 , it's almost a certitude

Sure, they'll find a good player. But, Rush is one of the only guys that has the both athleticism and the ability to contribute immediately to the team.

A.H 21-50
06-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Sure, they'll find a good player. But, Rush is one of the only guys that has the both athleticism and the ability to contribute immediately to the team.

offcourse he looks very good and can contribute next year immediatly wich is an important point
but if rush isn't on the board when the spurs pick that means other good players will be available so imo we can found someting decent in this draft with our pick
i hope the spurs didn't go with a project but someone who can contribute right now

AFBlue
06-06-2008, 09:57 PM
offcourse he looks very good and can contribute next year immediatly wich is an important point
but if rush isn't on the board when the spurs pick that means other good players will be available so imo we can found someting decent in this draft with our pick
i hope the spurs didn't go with a project but someone who can contribute right now

Like...?

Chris Douglas-Roberts may be available or Courtney Lee. Other than that, you've pretty much run out of option until pick #45.

Don't get me wrong I think there are still options, but I'd put Rush at the top.

A.H 21-50
06-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Like...?

Chris Douglas-Roberts may be available or Courtney Lee. Other than that, you've pretty much run out of option until pick #45.

Don't get me wrong I think there are still options, but I'd put Rush at the top.

as you say lee ,cdr
one of the three will be there or why not a young C like robin lopez who can rebound and block
there will be good options with young talented guy with no.26

i agree for rush , he's on the top of my list with batum

DannyB
06-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Just stop dreaming about Rush, Spurs fans ... I'm telling you truly, if he's there at #15 --which he probably will be-- the Suns will surely take him. He's too good to pass up as an immediate contributor to a team that MUST WIN NOW. It's that simple. You won't even get a shot at him. You draft at # 26, and the Suns currently have #15 from Atlanta. There's no way that Rush, or anyone else you want of comparable quality, will fall into your draft sights.

Suns will indeed take Rush if he's available. I guarantee it. Watch in two weeks.

A.H 21-50
06-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Just stop dreaming about Rush, Spurs fans ... I'm telling you truly, if he's there at #15 --which he probably will be-- the Suns will surely take him. He's too good to pass up as an immediate contributor to a team that MUST WIN NOW. It's that simple. You won't even get a shot at him. You draft at # 26, and the Suns currently have #15 from Atlanta. There's no way that Rush, or anyone else you want of comparable quality, will fall into your draft sights.

Suns will indeed take Rush if he's available. I guarantee it. Watch in two weeks.

Rush isn't a dream for me or for us , we just talk about basketball
if he comes we'll be happy but nothing else and if he doesn't come we'll have another good player : the draft looks good
Imo with no.15 pick , the suns can get better than rush

DannyB
06-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Rush isn't a dream for me or for us , we just talk about basketball
if he comes we'll be happy but nothing else and if he doesn't come we'll have another good player : the draft looks good
Imo with no.15 pick , the suns can get better than rush

Keep telling yourself that ... that's good optimism.

This draft isn't nearly as deep as last year, and everything after about # 22 is pretty shaky. Enjoy Spurs fans.

angelbelow
06-06-2008, 10:20 PM

i think rush is definitely one of the most NBA ready prospects in the upcoming draft but 15 is a reach.

A.H 21-50
06-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Keep telling yourself that ... that's good optimism.

This draft isn't nearly as deep as last year, and everything after about # 22 is pretty shaky. Enjoy Spurs fans.

thanks for the advice about the draft ;)

Mr. Body
06-06-2008, 10:26 PM
i think rush is definitely one of the most NBA ready prospects in the upcoming draft but 15 is a reach.

Could definitely happen. There's a lot of plateau from the 11-22 area. DJ Augustin isn't that much better, if he is at all, than Brandon Rush, and Augustin probably doesn't slip past Indiana.

DannyB
06-06-2008, 10:26 PM

For sure. He can shoot the NBA effortlessly. He can drive to the hoop and throw it down hard. He can play lock-down ball-defense. He can pass, he can rebound. He's actually gotten bigger and more cut since college.

He's ready to roll in the NBA, with a serious NBA body.

Too bad for the Spurs he'll be long gone before the Spurs even get a chance to seriously think about him. Oh, wait ... not too bad ... actually it's tough shit. He's gone way before #20 and the Suns will probably snatch him up at # 15. Yay!!!

AFBlue
06-06-2008, 11:01 PM
Could definitely happen. There's a lot of plateau from the 11-22 area. DJ Augustin isn't that much better, if he is at all, than Brandon Rush, and Augustin probably doesn't slip past Indiana.

That said, there's not much different talent-wise between Rush and Budinger. You've also got athletic forwards in Greene and Batum. Then there's the F/C in McGee, Speights, Jordan, Randolph, Kuofos.

And don't forget the swings....CDR and Walker.

Talent-wise, there are two clear superstars and a bunch of very talented players.

Bottom Line: Rush could get selected at #15 just as easily as he could drop to #26, and the same goes for a number of different players projected from late lottery to late first round.

Mr. Body
06-06-2008, 11:21 PM
That said, there's not much different talent-wise between Rush and Budinger. You've also got athletic forwards in Greene and Batum. Then there's the F/C in McGee, Speights, Jordan, Randolph, Kuofos.

And don't forget the swings....CDR and Walker.

Talent-wise, there are two clear superstars and a bunch of very talented players.

Bottom Line: Rush could get selected at #15 just as easily as he could drop to #26, and the same goes for a number of different players projected from late lottery to late first round.

I've suggested elsewhere that I think this draft is dodgy at every point. Most drafts have busts at every point but this one has more established players mixed in with longterm potential guys at nearly every point in the first round, with a flight of longterm potential big men scattered throughout. Not even the first two are any guarantee and OJ Mayo is right, there's just as likely a chance he or someone else winds up better than them.

koopa
06-06-2008, 11:23 PM
brandon rush is on top of my list on who i want to come play for the spurs............ but i'm not expecting anything form rc and pop......... they'll probably draft some no body that is sitting in the stands and leave him Europe for a few years (i'm still pissed we passed on gomes for ian)

Biggems
06-06-2008, 11:26 PM
if you are gonna use the bloodline angle, then the barry boys should all be HOFers, since their dad was one. Also, Isiah should be a crackhead who bounces in and out of prison like his brothers and sisters...but instead he is a HOFer and has been in the front office of 3 NBA teams.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-07-2008, 12:34 AM
if you are gonna use the bloodline angle, then the barry boys should all be HOFers, since their dad was one. Also, Isiah should be a crackhead who bounces in and out of prison like his brothers and sisters...but instead he is a HOFer and has been in the front office of 3 NBA teams.

...and look how that turned out! :lmao

Seriously though, no way Rush is on the board at #26.

manufor3
06-07-2008, 10:09 AM
http://toppayingideas.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/brandon-rush-ncaa.jpg

K-State Spur
06-09-2008, 10:21 PM
I think he was referring to Rush's apparent lack of motivation or tendency to "coast". During the championship run he showed a grit/toughness that I don't think he had previously displayed.

Noah was a nut in college, but it was inspirational to his young teammates. He just couldn't pull off the crazy act with his much more veteran, experienced Chicago squad.

Rush still coasted at times this year (albeit not in the tournament).

His defense - while still solid - was better in 2007 than 2008.

K-State Spur
06-09-2008, 10:23 PM
My guess is the trade up rumors were floated by Rush's camp.

The Spurs still have the rep for being draft savvy so they would likely see that as a way to boost his stock.

He has skills that would fit into this team well, but his inability to get to the rim still makes me a bit down on him.

AFBlue
06-09-2008, 10:26 PM
If Rush doesn't go 15 to the Suns, where is his next real opportunity?

cdcast
06-09-2008, 10:57 PM
He worked out for the Nets and they liked him. They have the 21st pick.

If the Suns don't get him at #15 (they probably will), it wouldn't be suprising if some team between 15 and 21 takes a chance on him- he's that good, even if they don't have a need for him.

He's a long shot for the Spurs.

angelbelow
06-09-2008, 11:02 PM
If Rush doesn't go 15 to the Suns, where is his next real opportunity?

raptors could use him, magics is a realistic possibility, other than that i dont see any other team needing a sg.

DannyB
06-10-2008, 10:21 AM
raptors could use him, magics is a realistic possibility, other than that i dont see any other team needing a sg.

Yeah, but Rush has the got the body at 6'6"-6'7" & 210 to be a swing-man, could play a bit of SF ... especially when you consider his freakishly long arms (7 ft. wing-span).

Also, I've seen a lot of reports that he's actually put on more muscle and gotten more ripped since the tournament.

SenorSpur
06-10-2008, 10:33 AM
He worked out for the Nets and they liked him. They have the 21st pick.

If the Suns don't get him at #15 (they probably will), it wouldn't be suprising if some team between 15 and 21 takes a chance on him- he's that good, even if they don't have a need for him.

He's a long shot for the Spurs.

Now I'm getting worried. I believe this is THE guy that is most ready to step in and help the Spurs. I realize it's a long shot, but I really hope he's available when it's our turn to pick,

Mr. Body
06-10-2008, 10:35 AM
It does look like he won't make it past Phoenix, Raptors, or Nets.

urunobili
06-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Now I'm getting worried. I believe this is THE guy that is most ready to step in and help the Spurs. I realize it's a long shot, but I really hope he's available when it's our turn to pick,

that is not going to happen... the only way we're getting this guy is buying ourselves into a higher position... probably before the suns pick him at 15 :depressed

spurs50_
06-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Stop talking about Brandon Rush, you're gonna jinx us...........Please be available at the 26, please....

K-State Spur
06-10-2008, 11:40 AM

I think it depends on what we get in FA. If we don't land an impact FA, I think somebody who does a better job of getting to the rim is the MOST ready to step in and help the Spurs - since that is what this team is lacking.

However, if we get a slasher elsewhere, then we can live with a jumpshooter who is capable of playing good D.

SenorSpur
06-10-2008, 12:12 PM
I think it depends on what we get in FA. If we don't land an impact FA, I think somebody who does a better job of getting to the rim is the MOST ready to step in and help the Spurs - since that is what this team is lacking.

However, if we get a slasher elsewhere, then we can live with a jumpshooter who is capable of playing good D.

I hear what you're saying. Depends on what you mean by impact FA. Anyway keep in mind, the draft takes place ahead of the FA period. So depending on what we get in the draft, the end result will likely affect the decision as to which player the Spurs go after in FA.

hater
06-10-2008, 12:28 PM
there is no way in hell he'll be available. stop dreaming

Spurtacus
06-10-2008, 03:21 PM
If he's a must have, Spurs can trade up in the draft. This year and next year first rounder to move up. Would it be worth it? Thats the question.

SenorSpur
06-13-2008, 12:40 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_fromtherafters/183/20080612/draft_report_brandon_rush_of_kansas/

Brandon Rush has superb lateral maneuverability in the air, which comes from great balance and body control and is unquestionably one of the more polished wing products in the draft.

He has a great ability to acrobatically navigate into space in the air, but this almost works to his disadvantage because he doesn’t draw as many fouls as he potentially could and when he does finally initiate some contact he is prone to player control fouls.

Expounding upon the way he can dodge defenders in the air, Rush is not very good driving up the middle to the basket; he usually takes little floaters when he’s in the very center of the paint instead of going up strongly and attacking defenders and the rim. He is much better at attacking the basket from the angles of the baseline and in transition. This is where he is able to use his in-air abilities to full advantage.

His future in the NBA is as a slasher, wing facilitator and creating his own shot off the dribble in the mid-range because although his perimeter shot must be contested and respected, it is far too streaky to be anything more than average.

Rush excessively misses to the left and right from the perimeter overall, suggesting flawed mechanics.

He doesn’t consistently follow through all the way on his shot and he shoots from across his body.

This explains why he is almost always a lights out shooter when dribbling into his jumper when going left. It really is remarkable to watch the difference between his hits going left and misses going right. Rush will even make 3-pointers going to his left when he fumbles a kick out pass.

When Rush goes right for a jumper off the dribble, he doesn’t always square up to the basket all the way, which is the opposite of how perfect and effective he is going left.

He should improve on the catch and shoot as he becomes more consistent in his mechanics of readying his body as the ball is on its way. He also has nice lift with the shot, but he is a very errant shooter when closely guarded and his range gets iffy not too far beyond the college arc and the NBA line will be a little far initially.

Since you cannot expect Rush to be a great perimeter shooter, how well does he do those other things?

He impressively keeps his feet moving to maintain good pacing and be ready to explode to the basket for a lob or to follow a missed shot.

He has good hang time in the air and will make good eye contact with the passer to setup lobs.

Rush moves well without the ball, coming off screens strongly and quickly, but he never had to work too hard to get the ball since Kansas has always had so many other scoring options.

He always squares up nicely in the triple threat position upon the catch, but his use of shot fakes, ball fakes and jab steps is limited. Because of this he struggles to beat his man into the lane off the dribble. He gets to the lane most frequently following a closeout flyby by a defender on his perimeter shot and in transition.

He has a very good handle both in the open floor and halfcourt, but it is more functional than explosive. With that said, he can alleviate more responsibility from the point guard than a typical wing.

He will make a nice runner with the right hand going across the middle and will jump stop well, but his fadeaway is not very effective and is routinely flat and very short.

Rush always seems like he has a very high basketball IQ and has reminded me of a classic pro player, but he is a very inconsistent passer. I always expect him to make the smart pass, but he is surprisingly awful on the post entry. He will throw it right at their feet or lob it in softly where it can get picked off.

He is far more effective with the skip pass and kick out.

Rush defends smaller perimeter players well with his good lateral quickness and has a good concept of team defense even though his fundamentals leave him to get turned around frequently.

Rush should do a better job fighting through screen and closing out to the perimeter shooter, but he defends the passing lanes well and is an overall pest on-ball.

He is good at boxing out and is really good at grabbing a rebound and bringing the ball up himself for early offense opportunities. He is really good at grabbing the ball and beginning his transition dribble in one fluid motion.

Rush is really strong to the ball as a rebounder and should have an above average rebound rate for a wing player.

I think Rush is in a what you see is what you get sort of situation. Given his pedigree and playing at Kansas for three years, he is a known commodity who will only marginally improve during the course of his career. He is already a very well-rounded player and should be a contributor instantaneously and for a stretch of eight years, but I don’t think the club that drafts him will be mining an All-Star hidden in there.

His selection is one of those instances where you sacrifice a little on the down the road back end for the guarantee of getting a nice player.

Mr. Body
06-13-2008, 12:48 PM
(from realgm:)
His future in the NBA is as a slasher, wing facilitator and creating his own shot off the dribble in the mid-range because although his perimeter shot must be contested and respected, it is far too streaky to be anything more than average.

He'll need to develop a lot, then, since his handles aren't that great, especially heading toward the basket, where he had great problems even in college. I don't think you could call him a slasher at this point at all. More likely he's a spot shooter; he'll have to develop something else.

K-State Spur
06-13-2008, 01:28 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_fromtherafters/183/20080612/draft_report_brandon_rush_of_kansas/

whoever wrote that could not be more unfamiliar with rush's game.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Latest nbadraft.net mock draft has us taking Brandon Rush.

AFBlue
06-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Latest nbadraft.net mock draft has us taking Brandon Rush.

They also have CDR going ahead of him, which I don't buy.

If he does slip past the Raptors however, I could see a scenario where the Spurs swap with Denver at #20 to draft him.

Spur-Addict
06-15-2008, 06:24 AM
He's certainly shaping up to be a solid pick. NBA frame, he can shoot it, play D and drive. Monday will tell all, i'm pulling for all to stay in.

KidCongo
06-15-2008, 06:43 AM
It does look like he won't make it past Phoenix, Raptors, or Nets.

Cavs have a need for an SG too but i think they go big.

SenorSpur
06-15-2008, 08:31 AM
They also have CDR going ahead of him, which I don't buy.

If he does slip past the Raptors however, I could see a scenario where the Spurs swap with Denver at #20 to draft him.

Couldn't agree more. If he gets past PHX @ #15, that would most fortunate for the Spurs. However, they cannot realistically expect him to fall past teams like NJ @ #21, Orl @ #22 or Hou @ #25. If they really want the guy, and I believe he would fit perfectly for them, they need to do whatever is necessary to move up to get him.

K-State Spur
06-15-2008, 09:37 AM
He's certainly shaping up to be a solid pick. NBA frame, he can shoot it, play D and drive. Monday will tell all, i'm pulling for all to stay in.

no, he can't.

SenorSpur
06-15-2008, 09:39 AM
no, he can't.

K-State Spur,
It seems that you have some first hand information on Rush. I'd be intereted in hearing your assessment of him. Are the rest of us overvaluing him from the scouting reports?

K-State Spur
06-15-2008, 10:01 AM
being in the state, i have probably seen him play more than most. he is probably one of the most 'NBA ready' players in the draft. but I do think some have some expectations of him that are unreasonable.

yes, he is a good spot up shooter. he's pretty reliable out to 18 feet if you give him space.

yes, he is a good defender - when he wants to be. he tends to lose focus on that end of the floor. of course, Pop could likely change that in a hurry. Rush did guard Durant better than anybody in NCAA last year. He never matched that performance this year, but some of that is likely attributable to recovering from a knee injury.

no, he can't drive to the rim or create his own shot. he's a terrible ball-handler, can barely use his left hand. an uncomfortably (from my perspective as the fan of a team looking to draft him) large percentage of his points came from cherry picking beyond the 3 point line when the Jayhawks got in transition.

I think Rush will be a rotation player in the league for a long time. It's just a question of what your expectations are. If you're expecting much more than a smaller, but more athletic, version of Luke Walton, then I think that's unreasonable.

Personally, I think this team has enough jump-shooters and would prefer a slasher like CDR in the first round, especially if people are talking about moving up. However, if there are plans to obtain that type of player elsewhere (FA, trade), then Rush makes more sense and could come in and fill a role.

SenorSpur
06-15-2008, 10:27 AM
being in the state, i have probably seen him play more than most. he is probably one of the most 'NBA ready' players in the draft. but I do think some have some expectations of him that are unreasonable.

yes, he is a good spot up shooter. he's pretty reliable out to 18 feet if you give him space.

yes, he is a good defender - when he wants to be. he tends to lose focus on that end of the floor. of course, Pop could likely change that in a hurry. Rush did guard Durant better than anybody in NCAA last year. He never matched that performance this year, but some of that is likely attributable to recovering from a knee injury.

no, he can't drive to the rim or create his own shot. he's a terrible ball-handler, can barely use his left hand. an uncomfortably (from my perspective as the fan of a team looking to draft him) large percentage of his points came from cherry picking beyond the 3 point line when the Jayhawks got in transition.

I think Rush will be a rotation player in the league for a long time. It's just a question of what your expectations are. If you're expecting much more than a smaller, but more athletic, version of Luke Walton, then I think that's unreasonable.

Personally, I think this team has enough jump-shooters and would prefer a slasher like CDR in the first round, especially if people are talking about moving up. However, if there are plans to obtain that type of player elsewhere (FA, trade), then Rush makes more sense and could come in and fill a role.

Good take. :toast

Appreciate your insights. I wasn't aware that Rush didn't possess the ability to slash to the basket or create his own shot. You've hit on a good point. We do have enough spot-up shooters and that's including if Finley is jettisoned for next season. Come to think of it, I don't know very many FA swingmen who can drive, create and shoot it. Maggette and J.R. Smith are two that come to mind and they are long shot acquisitions at best.

By that logic and assuming the Spurs target 2 swingmen (FA and draft), it sounds as though you're saying its important to get a good mix of skills between whatever player the Spurs draft versus whatever player they acquire via FA. They shouldn't be the same player. Another point I agree with. Perhaps a plausible draft/FA scenario would be:

Draftee/FA acquisition:
CDR/ Pietrus
Rush/Smith

It will be interesting to see which direction the Spurs go.

K-State Spur
06-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Draftee/FA acquisition:
CDR/ Pietrus
Rush/Smith

It will be interesting to see which direction the Spurs go.

Makes sense to me...which of course means that the team will go PG/Big man.

timvp
06-16-2008, 03:54 AM
Brandon Rush also drew some extremely high praise, as his size, length and skill-level were mentioned as big pluses, as was the fact that he can play two positions and looks to be in terrific shape athletically. He played strong defense, shot the ball well from outside, and even showed some nice craftiness with a few hook shots inside. Most executives we spoke with have Rush going either at 15 (Phoenix) or 17 (Toronto) in their personal mock drafts, but there is a chance that a team like Seattle or Cleveland for example could jump up ahead of them and take him at 13th if they can strike a deal with Portland (whose pick is clearly on the block).

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/

I assume it's safe to say it's impossible Rush will drop to 26.

kobyz
06-16-2008, 04:32 AM
trade Splitter to Portland for the 13 pick and take Rush!!!

pad300
06-16-2008, 09:30 AM
trade Splitter to Portland for the 13 pick and take Rush!!!

If we get to trade that far up, we need to think about more than just Rush...

Joe Alexander comes to mind.

SenorSpur
06-16-2008, 10:58 AM
It's starting to look more and more that Rush will be snapped up by the Suns. Read on:

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53005/20080616/brandon_rush_the_man_for_the_suns/

Brandon Rush The Man For The Suns?

According to the Arizona Republic, Kansas guard Brandon Rush enhanced his stock during a 24 player workout in Oakland over the weekend, showing off his shooting and defense that comes with a long 6-foot-6 frame.

Rider power forward Jason Thompson, Florida power forward Marreese Speights, and French swingman Nicolas Batum are also possibilities for the Suns, who will pick at 15.

kobyz
06-16-2008, 11:10 AM
it's typical for the suns to take Rush in the 15 pick even tho it's too high for him just in order to hurt the spurs

timvp
06-19-2008, 05:14 AM
Rush has the same low scoring issues as Weaver. Because he’s a player on a team full of scorers, I tend to give him somewhat of a break here. But the fact remains that very few SGs with a P40 below 20 ever amount to anything beyond a marginal player. Rush has been a mainstay in the Jayhawk lineup for 3 seasons now. A look at his career suggests there are more problems here than simply a weak scorer.

He doesn’t score with nearly enough efficiency to be considered much of a prospect. Rush’s shooting percentages have declined all 3 seasons. He wasn’t an efficient scorer to begin with and his 2-point pct. is dangerously low. Of all the SG prospects this year, only Chris Lofton and Alex Harris were lower. This is something that could be forgiven if he were a freshman or if this were a one season aberration, but he’s been an inefficient scorer for all three seasons of his college career now and his numbers are declining. The first thing to look at with SGs is whether they can score both often and efficiently. Rush has done neither in any of his 3 seasons. He is a good defender and it’s not hard to see him succeeded as a gunner/defender in the NBA. But his prospect numbers are truly bad. If he hadn’t played on the national stage, I doubt his name would even be mentioned as a serious prospect.

http://hoopsanalyst.com/0708ew15.htm

WinShares
Mario Chalmers (5.1)
Chris Douglas-Roberts (4.4)
Brandon Rush (2.2)

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2008-Win-Scores-NBA-Draft-Preview-2932/

A lot of the stat junkies are bashing Rush as a prospect. If you take a look at his stats, they do look pretty damn weak for a shooting guard who will be drafted in the teens. If you watch him play, he looks like a pretty good prospect. He's also working out well according to all reports. It'll interesting to see if his weak college stats are an indicator of anything negative or if he was just a guy who didn't feel like he needed to dominate on a good team.

Add together the fact that he has a blown ACL and that his name got artificially hyped by the national championship and his two NBA brothers ... and he suddenly doesn't look like the great pick Spurs fans should be praying for.

Mr. Body
06-19-2008, 05:50 AM
Small forward is still a key position throughout the league, as evidence of Alexander and now Rush rocketing up the boards. Each has moved up 20 spots, depending on your original placement, in te last two months (Rush was considered by some to be a 2nd rounder). Once again the Spurs will be on the outside.

That said, I do think Rush is pretty overrated at this point. He's skilled, has good athleticism and attitude, plus now has the championship shine, but to me seems very limited. I wouldn't mind the pick, but trading up to get him would be too much, as I think he's fairly tapped out at this point and there's not much beyond what he has now that he'll show.

K-State Spur
06-19-2008, 09:42 AM
A lot of the stat junkies are bashing Rush as a prospect. If you take a look at his stats, they do look pretty damn weak for a shooting guard who will be drafted in the teens. If you watch him play, he looks like a pretty good prospect. He's also working out well according to all reports. It'll interesting to see if his weak college stats are an indicator of anything negative or if he was just a guy who didn't feel like he needed to dominate on a good team.

Add together the fact that he has a blown ACL and that his name got artificially hyped by the national championship and his two NBA brothers ... and he suddenly doesn't look like the great pick Spurs fans should be praying for.

Watching him play, A LOT of his points came from cherry picking on 3 pointers in transition.

From an offensive perspective, you're drafting him based on his athletic potential, because his current skills don't translate to the league overly well.

SenorSpur
06-19-2008, 10:13 AM
All these new-found warts may be true. But considering where the Spurs are currently positioned in the draft and if somehow Rush fell to the Spurs, is there another shooting guard you'd rather have?

K-State Spur
06-19-2008, 10:27 AM
All these new-found warts may be true. But considering where the Spurs are currently positioned in the draft and if somehow Rush fell to the Spurs, is there another shooting guard you'd rather have?

I prefer CDR & Lee. If his knees hold up (which is a concern for BR as well), I could easily see Walker being a superior player 3 years from now.

It should be noted that Rush is further along defensively than these guys, which makes him more likely to crack Pop's rotation earlier.

SenorSpur
06-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Wolves work out Brandon Rush

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53074/20080619/wolves_workout_brandon_rush/

Spurs Brazil
06-20-2008, 08:03 PM
Cavs Like Rush, Looking For More Picks

Jun 20, 2008 4:59 PM EST
The Cavaliers are reportedly interested in moving up to take Kansas swingman Brandon Rush and are also talking to the Sonics about acquiring one of their four second round picks, according to The Morning Journal.

Cleveland has the No. 19 pick, but Rush's stock has risen significantly as of late.

Seattle has picks No. 32, 46, 50 and 56 in the second round, while the Cavs have none.
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53102/20080620/cavs_like_rush_looking_for_more_picks/

SPURSGOAT
06-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Yea we won't be getting rush... his stock is too hot right now...