06-01-2008, 11:37 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/bill_walker.jpg

Full Name: William Henry Walker
Position: Forward
Height/Weight: 6-6 / 220
Birthdate: October 9, 1987
High School: North College Hill HS
College: Kansas State

NBA (http://www.nba.com/draft2008/profiles/BillWalker.html)
NBADraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/billwalker.html)
DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Bill-Walker-552/)

Pistons < Spurs
06-02-2008, 12:06 AM
I find Walker really intriguing. I think he'll be a lot better in the NBA than he was in college. Years down the road, I think he'll be considered a steal based upon where he gets drafted.

K-State Spur
06-02-2008, 12:39 AM
It's not inconceivable that Walker could wind up being the best player in that draft. It's rare to be able to say that about a guy likely to picked in the 20-30 range.

ducks
06-02-2008, 12:40 AM
he is only a freshmen in school

mystargtr34
06-02-2008, 12:42 AM
An old Freshman... but still.

urunobili
06-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Marquis Daniels kinda player... no thanks...

oligarchy
06-02-2008, 09:04 AM
He came into camp in-shape, but I would still be worried about his injuries. 2 ACL tears already. I don't think he's a good fit and don't think he'd be a stand out at this point.

K-State Spur
06-02-2008, 10:37 AM

he's a better athlete than daniels - much stronger.

that said, i would expect him to take some time to develop.

tav1
06-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Walker is an interesting prospect, except that he is a couple years away from contributing. If he's is available in the 2nd round, the Spurs should consider drafting him and bringing him to camp. If shows something there, let him play for the Toros next year.

I'm hopeful the Spurs spend their first round pick on someone who could possibly be in the rotation next season, much like Detroit did with Rodney Stucky. To my mind, that means CDR, B. Rush or, preferrably, Courtney Lee.

Bruno
06-02-2008, 11:27 AM
http://www.themercury.com/K-StateSports/article.aspx?articleId=4296e0c2f9ab4295a6efafc1060 f98e2

Bill Walker will probably be a first-round NBA pick and, if so, will not come back to K-State next year. Underwood said Toronto seems to like Walker; they pick 18th. San Antonio also really likes him and may take him at the end of the first round. None of this is clear yet, Underwood said. If Walker were to think he would fall out of the first round, he'd come back to K-State.

Underwood is a K-State assistant coach.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks Bruno.
He's being compared to Jerry Stackhouse and is working very hard on his ballhandling and 3 point shot, which are the main things in his game that need to improve. Can already slash to the basket. He'd be a great pick up.

Spur-Addict
06-02-2008, 01:26 PM

Looks more like a young Michael Finley with lack of consistency in his jumper but, he has a better handle. I like him alot, Courtney Lee as well. We need a physical guard who can score. Our back court is flooded with finesse.

timvp
06-02-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm almost ready to get on the Bill Walker Bandwagon. He has some character and work ethic red flags but he's the type of high-risk, high-reward pick the Spurs need. If he pans out, he could be a stud.

He reminds me a bit of Vince Carter, plus an ACL tear and minus the crybaby factor. His game wasn't suited for high school or college, but he could blossom in the NBA. Very good athleticism, strong and an improving jumper.

He's not your typical Spurs pick but with the Spurs desperate for some athleticism and scoring on the perimeter, RC has to start thinking outside the box.

Bruno
06-02-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm almost ready to get on the Bill Walker Bandwagon.

Poor Bill Walker. Theron Smith is still trying to recover from timvp's Theron Smith Bandwagon. :)

timvp
06-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Poor Bill Walker. Theron Smith is still trying to recover from timvp's Theron Smith Bandwagon. :)Theron Smith is just misunderstood. :smokin Since I formed that bandwagon, he's shooting 91% from the field in the NBA. Can't do much better than that . . .

What's the latest on Marcus Williams? :downspin:

K-State Spur
06-02-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm almost ready to get on the Bill Walker Bandwagon. He has some character and work ethic red flags but he's the type of high-risk, high-reward pick the Spurs need. If he pans out, he could be a stud.

He reminds me a bit of Vince Carter, plus an ACL tear and minus the crybaby factor. His game wasn't suited for high school or college, but he could blossom in the NBA. Very good athleticism, strong and an improving jumper.

He's not your typical Spurs pick but with the Spurs desperate for some athleticism and scoring on the perimeter, RC has to start thinking outside the box.

Outside of getting frustrated with officiating on the court, what are his character flags?

You said earlier that he had some off the court issues, but I know of none.

mountainballer
06-02-2008, 04:42 PM
last draft another freshman was on top of Spurs list: Daequan Cook.
so, if the FO didn't look for a NBA ready player in last years draft, they might also not do so this year and might try to find players, who provide an immediately impact in the free agency.

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Looks like Walker is shooting up the draft boards, and it's not hard to see why...there's alot to like.

I'm still going with the Bonzi Wells comparison, which is not necessarily a bad thing from a talent perspective.

Would be a solid pickup, but I'm not sure he lasts to #26.

dallaskd
06-02-2008, 07:08 PM
I watched almost every Kansas State game this season. Walker can ball but the dude has some serious character issues and is prone to bad games. He should pull out of the draft and be a lottery pick in a few years.

timvp
06-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Outside of getting frustrated with officiating on the court, what are his character flags?

You said earlier that he had some off the court issues, but I know of none.He hasn't gotten arrested or anything like that but there have always been questions surrounding him. In high school, he was usually the best athlete on the court but didn't always play hard. Then there was that whole fiasco where he forgot about his first freshman year of high school. After tearing his ACL, he ballooned up and never really shed the weight until now when it's time to get drafted.

He also ran with that whole shady OJ Mayo crowd. On the court he plays with an attitude and doesn't always have good body language. Then you have all those p!ssing in towels and eating popcorn on the bench moments that didn't exactly help his stock :lol

He comes across bright in interviews but being spoiled for the last four years or whatever it's been has obviously gone to his head a bit.

K-State Spur
06-02-2008, 07:39 PM
He hasn't gotten arrested or anything like that but there have always been questions surrounding him. In high school, he was usually the best athlete on the court but didn't always play hard. Then there was that whole fiasco where he forgot about his first freshman year of high school. After tearing his ACL, he ballooned up and never really shed the weight until now when it's time to get drafted.

He also ran with that whole shady OJ Mayo crowd. On the court he plays with an attitude and doesn't always have good body language. Then you have all those p!ssing in towels and eating popcorn on the bench moments that didn't exactly help his stock :lol

He comes across bright in interviews but being spoiled for the last four years or whatever it's been has obviously gone to his head a bit.

I don't see any of that as anything that should raise off the court flags. Hell, Mayo didn't really even do anything that should bother the NBA (just the NCAA), let alone have a guilt by association factor involved.

Obviously, somebody's going to have to get him to calm down during games - or he's gonna challenge Rasheed's technical record.

I think there are legitimate concerns about his 'attitude' on the court - he's going to have to make some adjustments. However, I think any concerns about his 'character' are unfounded at this point.

Mr. Body
06-02-2008, 07:48 PM
It's not inconceivable that Walker could wind up being the best player in that draft. It's rare to be able to say that about a guy likely to picked in the 20-30 range.

Whoa, dude!

Mr. Body
06-02-2008, 07:51 PM
He hasn't gotten arrested or anything like that but there have always been questions surrounding him. In high school, he was usually the best athlete on the court but didn't always play hard. Then there was that whole fiasco where he forgot about his first freshman year of high school. After tearing his ACL, he ballooned up and never really shed the weight until now when it's time to get drafted.

He completely loses his head in games sometimes. I mean, he just loses it, all focus and attention to the game. The Rasheed Wallace comparison is correct in this regard. If he's Sheed, then fine; otherwise that's a great risk to take. There's a guy you can't count on for a team that demands a tremendous amount of concentration.

K-State Spur
06-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Whoa, dude!

i admit that it is a small chance. but not inconceivable.

he's as good an athlete as there is in this draft. he was slated as a lottery pick out of HS before the knee injury - which he is just now getting back to 100%.

If - and it's a big if - his jump shot starts to come around, he has the size/quickness/strength combination to be unguardable.

Rose & Beasley are going to be terrific players. But I would not be absolutely shocked if we look back 10 years from now only to discover that Walker has had a better career than either of them.

That said, I still prefer some other guys with the Spurs pick. But Walker has a ridiculously high ceiling.

tav1
06-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Do you guys see Walker as a 2 or 3 in the pros? Everyone has him listed as a 3, but I've always thought that he'd end up a 2. If he is a 3, and Courtney Lee is a 2, that would be a dream round 1 and 2 draft.

Mr. Body
06-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Only if Walker divested himself of Rasheed Wallace's on-court demeanor could he match any expectations of himself. And he doesn't have Sheed's talent.

AFBlue
06-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Do you guys see Walker as a 2 or 3 in the pros? Everyone has him listed as a 3, but I've always thought that he'd end up a 2. If he is a 3, and Courtney Lee is a 2, that would be a dream round 1 and 2 draft.

Ultimately he's a power guard in the Bonzi Wells mold. Though, I assume that one of his appealing traits is his ability to guard bigger SF because of his size/strength.

So to answer your question....he's both in the pros. He needs to continue to work on his handle and improve consistency on his jumpshot in order to become a viable 2-guard, but I expect that's how he'll be listed when all is said and done.

K-State Spur
06-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Ultimately he's a power guard in the Bonzi Wells mold. Though, I assume that one of his appealing traits is his ability to guard bigger SF because of his size/strength.

So to answer your question....he's both in the pros. He needs to continue to work on his handle and improve consistency on his jumpshot in order to become a viable 2-guard, but I expect that's how he'll be listed when all is said and done.

if he develops his jumper - he'll be an unguardable player. he's already better finishing around the hoop than bonzi.

there's only a few players in the entire league that match his size/strength/quickness combination.

he just needs to learn to keep his cool on the court and develop his range & defense.

tav1
06-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Increasingly I think Walker is the guy we should target, even more so than Batum.

K-State Spur
06-04-2008, 11:50 PM
I still think that if you're looking for a guy who can contribute in the next 2 years (duncan/manu window), you have to look real hard at Courtney Lee @ 26.

If you're looking for somebody you can team up with Parker to carry the franchise past that, Walker is a high reward (and not a huge risk) player at that spot.

Although, from what I'm hearing, the KSU coaches think he'll be gone by 26.

tav1
06-04-2008, 11:54 PM
#26 is not going to happen. That's Lee-Rush-CDR territory. I would that we keep that pick and take one of those three at 26, but take a 3 million dollar flier on Walker and buy a pick in the late teens or early 20s. I'm advocating for that between now and draft day. That's my strategy and I'm sticking to it.

MoSpur
06-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Not bad for a Freshman. I'm sure he has some growing up to do.

tav1
06-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Chad Ford has Walker at #29 in his latest mock draft (and Batum at #25). I continue to think that the value in the draft is between 20 and 30 and if there was ever a year the Spurs should buy another pick in that range, this is it.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Bill Walker is the man. Please Spurs. Draft him.

SenorSpur
06-09-2008, 01:51 PM
From reading the scouting reports on him, it doesn't sound as though he's as far along defensively as a team like the Spurs would want. I've never seen him play, so someone would need to confirm or deny this. If that is true and despite his crazy athleticism, I would wonder if the Spurs would be interested.

tav1
06-09-2008, 01:54 PM
The Spurs are interested. Read earlier posts in this thread.

timvp
06-09-2008, 01:59 PM
From reading the scouting reports on him, it doesn't sound as though he's as far along defensively as a team like the Spurs would want. I've never seen him play, so someone would need to confirm or deny this. If that is true and despite his crazy athleticism, I would wonder if the Spurs would be interested.Rare is the 20-year-old perimeter prospect who excels at defense. If a swingman prospect that young is good at defense, chances are they are horrible at offense and use defense to justify their court time.

I wouldn't even worry about defensive play until the perimeter player is a junior or senior.

tav1
06-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Rare is the 20-year-old perimeter prospect who excels at defense. If a swingman prospect that young is good at defense, chances are they are horrible at offense and use defense to justify their court time.

I wouldn't even worry about defensive play until the perimeter player is a junior or senior.

And if he is as much an athlete and student of the game as reported, his defense will come quickly. He'd play in Austin next year, I'd guess.

SenorSpur
06-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Rare is the 20-year-old perimeter prospect who excels at defense. If a swingman prospect that young is good at defense, chances are they are horrible at offense and use defense to justify their court time.

Point taken. Most of the mock drafts I've seen, has him going ahead of Rush, Batum and CDR. Anyone think otherwise?

timvp
06-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Point taken. Most of the mock drafts I've seen, has him going ahead of Rush, Batum and CDR. Anyone think otherwise?Walker used to be a top five pick. Then he tore his ACL and gained a lot of weight. Heading into this draft process he was a second rounder. But now he's lost 30 pounds since the end of the college basketball season and he has recovered from the ALC tear.

So now it's tough to say. He could jump all the way up into the first half of the first round or he could top out around where the Spurs are picking. I doubt he falls out of the first round. Now that Walker is back to being skinny, I'm sure he's tearing up individual workouts.

K-State Spur
06-09-2008, 10:25 PM
From reading the scouting reports on him, it doesn't sound as though he's as far along defensively as a team like the Spurs would want. I've never seen him play, so someone would need to confirm or deny this. If that is true and despite his crazy athleticism, I would wonder if the Spurs would be interested.

He's not very far along defensively. And his jumper is very iffy.

However, if those two things were not the case, he'd be a lottery pick, and nowhere near available at 26.

Russ
06-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Point taken. Most of the mock drafts I've seen, has him going ahead of Rush, Batum and CDR. Anyone think otherwise?

NBADraft.net (probably the best) has him going at 40 in the 2d round.

More athlete than player.

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/billwalker.html

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-09-2008, 10:37 PM
The best is draftexpress.com.

K-State Spur
06-09-2008, 10:49 PM
NBADraft.net (probably the best) has him going at 40 in the 2d round.

More athlete than player.

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/billwalker.html

I'll stake the life of my first born that (barring something drastic between now and then) he doesn't last anywhere near 40.

tav1
06-09-2008, 11:09 PM
I'll stake the life of my first born that (barring something drastic between now and then) he doesn't last anywhere near 40.

I'll bet my left nut that he is picked before 40--which is so absurd it nearly invalidates their entire mock.

tav1
06-09-2008, 11:10 PM
The best is draftexpress.com.

Yeah, I think draftexpress is the most reliable. Givony is level-headed and in constant communication with agents, scouts and team officials.

Blackjack
06-09-2008, 11:31 PM
I didn't get a chance to see him play much at all at KSU, but I remember seeing this kid just destroying all of his peers before the injuries. I mean, with the way he attacked the rim.... He made Amare look timid at times.

I know nothing about his character or if he'll ever be able to stay healthy, but if he's ever able to realize his potential... This kid could be scary.

angelbelow
06-10-2008, 03:01 AM
well, if draftexpress is indeed the most reliable, they have him going at 29th, so we have a great chance. btw i agree taht we should try for another first round pick.

El_Mago
06-10-2008, 10:49 AM
I am convinced.

I was in favor of the Spurs going foreign; however, the potential of Bill Walker is too much for the Spurs to pass up.

I would not even be too surprised if the Spurs trade up in the draft (Net's....early twenties) to grab Walker.

He has unbelievable talent. I like the fact that even after ACL injuries, he is still explosive and can attack the basket with ease. He appears to have a quick first step and has an NBA build.

He looks really strong, and quite frankly a freak of nature. I can see Walker becoming a big mismatch for opposing players and just dominating. Yet, his jump shot could improve, and his pull-up jumper is nothing to get too excited about.

However, we do have Chip who could work with him, and polish Walker's shot.

If the Spurs land JR Smith or someone who is more effective on the perimeter then it would be even better for the Spurs.

Thus, the Spurs could draft Walker and give him the Steven Jackson treatment. Ease him in easily and work with him on work ethic and maturity. Get him adapted to the system and let him know that he is unbelievable talent, but will have to work on things as well.

I am officially on Team Walker, and hope this is the individual draft in the 1st.

Tony Parker, Juan Dixon, Jacque Vaughn
JR Smith, Manu Ginobili, Bill Walker
Bruce Bowen, Ime Udoka, Brent Barry
Tim Duncan, Ian Mahinmi, Matt Bonner
Kurt Thomas, Fabricio Oberto, 2nd Rounder or Free Agent

I like this team.

Marcus Bryant
06-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Let's think this through. The Spurs need a scoring athletic wing and a backup point.

Free agent negotiations start a week after the draft. Who knows how that will turn out for the Spurs? They need new talent for next season. Banking on free agency, with the assumption that the Spurs will be reluctant to offer anything more than 2 year long contracts, is a bit, well, spurious.

With their needs, I do not see them taking an international talent who will not be available to join the team next season at #26 or #45. I think they go domestic at both picks. Also, you have an allegedly good domestic talent evaluator in Dennis Lindsey in the front office. Now's the time for him to earn his pay.

-MB

El_Mago
06-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Agreed.

I don't feel the Spurs can land JR Smith.

Like you mentioned, Spurs will be reluctant to offer more than a two year deal to just about anyone...unless the deal/player is just too good to pass up.

With that said, the Spurs should still go out and pursue all avenues.

I think they could easily address the back-up point with the LLE. A player like Juan Dixon comes to mind...or they may even be able to address it with the first pick in the second round.

If available, the Spurs should still take Walker. He's just too good and promising to pass up.

It would be great if the Spurs could offer players like JR Smith and Buike, two year deals with the 3rd year being the team option, but that does not appear to be too realisitc.

SenorSpur
06-10-2008, 11:05 AM
If the latest mocks are true, Rush and Batum are projected to be gone. If Walker is there, they've gotta take him.

rascal
06-10-2008, 11:20 AM
He came into camp in-shape, but I would still be worried about his injuries. 2 ACL tears already. I don't think he's a good fit and don't think he'd be a stand out at this point.

2 acl tears.
Hes a candidate for bone on bone mobility.

rascal
06-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Why not try packaging the 2nd round pick or a player with the first round pick and move up.

AFBlue
06-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Ford's 4.0 Mock has him slipping to #29, just a week after he was spotted in the first round at #22.

To be honest, I think if he's on the board at #26 the Spurs will take him regardless of almost any other player being available...just a hunch.

K-State Spur
06-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Why not try packaging the 2nd round pick or a player with the first round pick and move up.

for who? i'm don't think the Spurs can get high enough to get a guy who is much better than what they'll find at 26.

of course, if we like a specific player that is still on the board that isn't likely to be there a few picks later, you may see some movement.

tav1
06-12-2008, 08:41 AM
for who? i'm don't think the Spurs can get high enough to get a guy who is much better than what they'll find at 26.

of course, if we like a specific player that is still on the board that isn't likely to be there a few picks later, you may see some movement.

If a team sells its pick, the Spurs should make a hard bid. This is their best chance of moving up. In either case, they should sit tight and draft whomever falls to them. There will be good players available.

SenorSpur
06-12-2008, 09:08 AM
If a team sells its pick, the Spurs should make a hard bid. This is their best chance of moving up. In either case, they should sit tight and draft whomever falls to them. There will be good players available.

I agree. To me, Rush is the prospect who fits the needs of this team the most and is the most ready to step in and contribute immediately. No disrespect toward the other swingmen prospects, but Rush seems like the ideal match for us. If the feel he wont be available and they can strike a deal to move up, they should.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Latest draftexpress.com mock draft has Walker going 33rd.

AFBlue
06-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Latest draftexpress.com mock draft has Walker going 33rd.

It should be noted that DX has not adjusted the mock based on team needs. I figure that once the deadline for eligible draftees passes, they along with others will start to formulate their "real" draft boards.

K-State Spur
06-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Rumors are starting to float that Walker is thinking very hard about coming back to school for another year.

Russ
06-13-2008, 08:40 PM
Walker seems like a project to me.

Why be team number 1 on a project? It's like being the first team that had Stephen Jackson -- it's the team down the road that reaps the benefits.

K-State Spur
06-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Manu and Tony were far from polished when they were originally drafted.

AFBlue
06-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Rumors are starting to float that Walker is thinking very hard about coming back to school for another year.

The 2009 draft isn't looking particularly strong, and with the way that Walker came on towards the end of last year he has a legit shot at cracking the lottery with a decent season.

If he could stay injury-free for one more year and continue to develop his game, he could make himself alot of money. It's a risk, but at this point he's being vastly undervalued.

I hope he goes against his better judgement and gives the Spurs an opportunity to draft him....but I understand if he were to go back to school for one more year.

K-State Spur
06-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Hard to believe he wouldn't improve his status by returning (however, if he were to get drafted at the end of the first round - far from a certainty - by a winning club this year that would give him time to develop, that would likely be ideal for him).

He would probably fall just behind Blake Griffin as the best returning player in the Big 12.

Mr. Body
06-14-2008, 02:03 AM

Guess he's not getting a lot of interest in the first round.

timvp
06-14-2008, 02:08 AM
According to a report in the Manhattan Mercury, Bill Walker will announce whether he is staying in college or going pro on Saturday night. Walker worked out for the Golden State Warriors on Friday.Guess we won't have to wait too much longer. Hopefully Walker stays in.

T Park
06-14-2008, 02:20 AM
I'm gonna be a wuss and just hope for Chris Douglas-Roberts.

Bill Walker's attitude problems and no apparent Tiago Splitter like second thoughts are worrisome.

angelbelow
06-14-2008, 02:39 AM
yea walker would be a project... but the pay out could be great.

K-State Spur
06-14-2008, 02:40 AM
Guess we won't have to wait too much longer. Hopefully Walker stays in.

I could well be wrong, but I'm going to say 75/25 that he's staying. He already made an official announcement that he was declaring for the draft. Why would he need to make another one just to say that he is staying in?

AFBlue
06-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Any word?

K-State Spur
06-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Any word?

He had a couple of workouts set up for today, so he moved it back to monday.

One KSU 'insider' says that he's staying in the draft regardless, another says that there is a good chance that he comes back as he's feeling that his stock has dropped as teams have sobered up from being wowed by his weight loss and athletic potential (most likely taking a deeper look at his erratic jumper, potential attitude issues, and injury history). Walker has said all along that he'll return if he doesn't expect to be a first round pick.

I'll say this, I'm backing off my 75/25 odds of staying in school.

Mr. Body
06-14-2008, 10:14 PM
There's word floating around that CDR and other SGs are outplaying him in head-to-head workouts. I don't think teams are high enough on him for a first round pick, so there's a chance this is him going back.

Spur-Addict
06-14-2008, 10:17 PM
There's word floating around that CDR and other SGs are outplaying him in head-to-head workouts. I don't think teams are high enough on him for a first round pick, so there's a chance this is him going back.

Hmmm, interesting. Where was this heard?

K-State Spur
06-14-2008, 10:35 PM

This would not be surprising if true. Many people don't realize that KSU played Walker at the '4' spot last year (mainly out of need and because of his versatility), so it would make sense that he would not be as far along head-to-head against elite players.

Spur-Addict
06-14-2008, 10:48 PM
I hope him losing weight isn't hurting his overall performance. If playing up front caused him to add weight then it's understandable. I like guards who use their weight, and, for someone who can't stroke it as well as scouts would like you'd hope his strength is still there for interior play. He moved some bigger guys around in the paint like they were curling rocks on ice. Hopefully he's still performing well if he's being out performed overall.

K-State Spur
06-14-2008, 11:32 PM
I think it was more a case of recovering from the ACL tear that he couldn't work out at full speed for 9 months that led to the weight gain.

That said, it's not like he was Bonzi Wells fat. He was a physical specimen even with the weight. But he needed to get quicker to play the wing effectively.

TheProfessor
06-15-2008, 10:46 PM
MRI needed after another knee injury strikes draft prospect Walker

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/news/story?id=3445779

Representatives for Kansas State redshirt freshman Bill Walker were scrambling to secure a commitment from a team drafting late in the first round after Walker injured his right knee during a workout in California this weekend.

Multiple sources close to Walker, and at least one who attended the workout in the Bay Area, said Sunday night that Walker would undergo another MRI on his knee Monday. Walker was one of 24 players at the Golden State Warriors' facility to work out in front of representatives from 21 NBA teams. The players in attendance were projected as being between the 20th and 45th picks.

Monday is the deadline for underclassmen who haven't hired agents to withdraw from the draft and return to school.

Walker has had multiple knee injuries during his playing career. He played in six games during the 2006-07 season before tearing his ACL in his left knee. He graduated from high school that October and became eligible for Kansas State in December. Playing as the understudy to Michael Beasley on the Wildcats this season, Walker averaged 16.1 points and 6.3 rebounds.

Walker has worked out for Detroit (29th pick) and Toronto (17th). He turned down an invitation to the Orlando pre-draft camp last month.

Reached late Sunday night, Kansas State coach Frank Martin, who hadn't been informed of the extent of Walker's injury, said he was told that Walker would not decide whether to remain in the draft until just before the 5 p.m. ET deadline.

If Walker were to return to Kansas State, and is healthy, then he would surely be the focal point on the Wildcats after Beasley declared and stayed in the draft by signing with an agent. Kansas State lost to Wisconsin in the second round of the NCAA tournament after the Wildcats beat Walker's former high school and AAU teammate O.J. Mayo and USC.

A year ago, Kansas guard Brandon Rush suffered a torn ACL prior to the withdrawal deadline and was forced to return to KU. Rush ended up helping the Jayhawks win the national championship in April.

AFBlue
06-15-2008, 10:48 PM
:bang

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-15-2008, 10:49 PM

Reached late Sunday night, Kansas State coach Frank Martin, who hadn't been informed of the extent of Walker's injury, said he was told that Walker would not decide whether to remain in the draft until just before the 5 p.m. ET deadline.

Well at least we know now.

AFBlue
06-15-2008, 10:51 PM

Well at least we know now.

This could be the ultimate CIA move....tell a guy to fake his injury and try to secure a pick in the first round to scare others off, knowing the whole time that you're going to pick him at #26.

But I doubt it.

Mr. Body
06-15-2008, 10:51 PM
I doubt he was good enough for the first round anyway. Another year of school will be good.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-15-2008, 10:53 PM
This could be the ultimate CIA move....tell a guy to fake his injury and try to secure a pick in the first round to scare others off, knowing the whole time that you're going to pick him at #26.

But I doubt it.

That would be quite intriguing. But I also doubt it.

TheProfessor
06-15-2008, 10:53 PM

But I doubt it.
Or it's a huge red flag and a team just got very lucky by not wasting a first rounder on someone with chronic knee problems. He needs to return to school and show this won't be an issue, and I don't see how someone chances guaranteed money on him after this.

Mr. Body
06-15-2008, 10:54 PM

But I doubt it.

That would be a bush-league, bullshiat ploy. The Spurs are classier than that: a promise is one thing, lying about injuries is quite another.

And besides, the team isn't as 'CIA' as we keep claiming they are.

K-State Spur
06-15-2008, 10:54 PM

Look at the bright side. Better now than in training camp if the team has used a first round pick on him.

Pistons < Spurs
06-15-2008, 11:01 PM
WoW! That sucks.

timvp
06-15-2008, 11:18 PM
If he stays in the draft anyways, I'd be for picking him at 45. Even if it's ACL tear number three.

Sucks for Walker. He might just have bad genes.

tav1
06-15-2008, 11:26 PM
I'm interested to hear what the injury is and whether or not it's ACL related. Also, his agent might actually recommend he stay in the draft, even if it's a tear.

Sway
06-15-2008, 11:29 PM
This guy has great upside, but he is too high risk for injury. With this most recent injury its probably a good idea for the Spurs to stay away.

K-State Spur
06-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Sucks for Walker. He might just have bad genes.

I didn't see the first injury. But as for the second tear, I don't think anybody's ACL could have withstood that unnatural bend.

I wouldn't blame the genes just yet. We'll see what this turns out to be.

If he was legitimately up in the air coming into this weekend, hard to believe that this wouldn't push him to return to school.

Mr. Body
06-15-2008, 11:32 PM
I'm interested to hear what the injury is and whether or not it's ACL related. Also, his agent might actually recommend he stay in the draft, even if it's a tear.

Could be the worst thing to do to stay in. He'd drop to the 2nd round, non-guaranteed money, no guaranteed roster spot, and could be out of the league instantly. Back in school he can rehab and try to move up the board under closer tutelage.

Marcus Bryant
06-15-2008, 11:40 PM
Of course, he could go back to school, be plagued by injuries, and go undrafted next year.

Unless he needs a complete reconstruction of his knee, it might be worth his while to stay in. Someone will take him in the 2nd round unless his knee is really screwed up and he should be able to get at least the rookie min for a couple of seasons ($400K+ per).

Mr. Body
06-15-2008, 11:44 PM
By far the better idea would be to return to school. Even with a dodgy report on his knee someone will nail him with a 2nd rounder and he'll be screwed.

Marcus Bryant
06-15-2008, 11:45 PM
Well, if his knees are this fragile it might be worth his while to take the $$ now. Otherwise he's playing another year of ball without any safety whatsoever.

timvp
06-15-2008, 11:48 PM
If it's ACL, he might miss the whole college season next year anyways. A second torn ACL on the same knee usually takes closer to a year to heal -- if at all. So if I'm him, I go to the NBA even if a team just promises me a second round pick than to potentially try to draft again in two years.

I'd still take him at 45, though. Second round is a crap shoot anyways so you might as well get a guy who used to be a top five player in his class before injuries hit.

We'll see when more info hits about his knee. Sucks for him. By all accounts he had put in a lot of work. Perhaps this is just a false alarm. Hopefully the NBA allows him an extra day or two to figure this all out. It'd suck for him to have like 15 hours to decide.

Mr. Body
06-15-2008, 11:49 PM
Well, if his knees are this fragile it might be worth his while to take the $$ now. Otherwise he's playing another year of ball without any safety whatsoever.

Are you trying to convince yourself he'll be a Spur this year or something? What money would he be taking? It's not guaranteed. No, going into the uncertainty of the 2nd round would be a hideous fate and well something worth avoiding. He can rehab in school and at worst would be a 2nd round pick again next year; best case would be a deserved first round berth. It would make absolutely no sense to take the risk of having to make the roster for whomever selects him in the 2nd this year -- if cut, he's lost in the wilderness.

Mr. Body
06-15-2008, 11:51 PM
The analog to this is Ron Steele from Alabama, who pulled out of the draft recently after recurring injuries, although he's clearly a 1st round prospect when healthy. Naturally he did the smart thing for his future and is returning to school where he can rehab in the safety of a Div. I school and not be thrown to the fates of a 2nd round pick, which basically consigns him to overseas play or unsponsored NBDL when he is inevitably cut. You're advocating a very bad position.

Marcus Bryant
06-15-2008, 11:52 PM
So he returns to K State, rehabs, and never gets back to what he was. Or maybe he busts his knee yet again. At least by staying in now he has a shot at getting drafted high in the 2nd round and getting some guaranteed money.

At worst next year he goes undrafted after an injury plagued season.

Mr. Body
06-15-2008, 11:53 PM
So he returns to K State, rehabs, and never gets back to what he was. Or maybe he busts his knee yet again. At least by staying in now he has a shot at getting drafted high in the 2nd round and getting some guaranteed money.

At worst next year he goes undrafted after an injury plagued season.

I can only say I'm glad this young man is not taking advice from you.

Marcus Bryant
06-15-2008, 11:55 PM
Until he busts his knee for good playing Okie State next February.

MannyIsGod
06-15-2008, 11:56 PM
If he's not going to get drafted in the 1st round then he should go back to school and at least try to finish his education. There are things other than basketball and really there's no reason to declare unless you're going to go in the first and get paid.

picnroll
06-15-2008, 11:57 PM
Hopefully he hasn't done another ACL. How many NBA players have made it after three ACL tears?

MannyIsGod
06-16-2008, 12:03 AM
Manning was productive after his series of ACL tears but not nearly at the same level.

TheProfessor
06-16-2008, 12:04 AM
I can only say I'm glad this young man is not taking advice from you.
I don't think it's that cut-and-dried. If his rep's are frantically trying to get a promise, that would indicate he's not comfortable going in the second, and will return. But this could just as likely be a chronic problem that cuts short his senior year and leaves him undrafted. Also, what if he can't carry the offensive load at K-State with Beasely gone and turns in a mediocre effort? I ultimately agree it's a better idea to enter a relatively weaker draft next year, but there is a definite risk factor here.

MannyIsGod
06-16-2008, 12:18 AM
I don't pretend to know about the guys studies at all, but one would hope that with his history of knee problems he was taking them seriously and has at least an alternate route should he stay at KU.

Besides, getting drafted in the 2nd with an injury this year is probably just as bad as not being drafted a couple of years later.

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 12:24 AM
He could always go back if his playing days are over.

timvp
06-16-2008, 03:49 AM
A couple of injuries early on changed the dynamics of the workout early, including a very unfortunate setback to Bill Walker at seemingly the worst moment possible. Walker hurt his knee during the three man weave early on and was unable to make it past stretching, forcing him to pull out. An MRI conducted later (which is now circulating amongst teams) concluded that he has a partial tear in his meniscus, which will force him to sit for at least three weeks and not allow him to work out for any more NBA teams from now until the draft. There is reportedly no structural damage to the knee, but concerns could very well still linger considering that the 20-year old freshman already suffered two separate ACL tears in his short career, making teams possibly even more nervous about what the future may hold in store for him.

Walker declined to participate in the NBA pre-draft camp in late May and decided to pull out of two workouts with Houston and New Orleans last week. Up until now, he has only managed to visit the Toronto Raptors (where he looked extremely nervous and was tentative, but checked out just fine on his physical) and Detroit Pistons (where he was reportedly outstanding), meaning NBA teams will have much less information to go off on draft night than they would likely prefer.

Ironically, the injury was suffered just 48 hours prior to the deadline for underclassmen to withdraw their names from the draft. Walker, who has yet to hire an agent for this exact reason, will take the decision down to the absolute last minute, and as of right now could still return to school. He will likely be looking for assurances that he will be taken by the Detroit Pistons (where he fills a legitimate need and is likely the best SF on the board), because otherwise, he will almost certainly fall into the second round.

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/

Not horrible news for Walker. If he stays in the draft and is available at 45, Spurs need to take him. Even at 26, I wouldn't be mad ... although his knees don't seem too sturdy.

tav1
06-16-2008, 11:23 AM
I'm not sure what goes into a "promise" but could a team drafting in the second round promise a gauranteed contact to Walker? I assume not, and what basis would he have to believe them, but I thought I'd ask.

MannyIsGod
06-16-2008, 11:25 AM
He could always go back if his playing days are over.

Yeah, on his own dime. I'd personally rather go back on KU's dime.

If I'm him I withdraw from the draft and go back to school for a year. I agree with LJ though, if he's there in the 2nd round then you grab him. I wonder if the Spurs would consider trading up for him in the 2nd round. That'd be an extremely good move even if it doesn't pan out just because its so low risk high reward.

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 11:29 AM
So he goes back after picking up a minimum NBA contract for a year or two. I'm sure that'll cover tuition and room and board.

K-State Spur
06-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Yeah, on his own dime. I'd personally rather go back on KU's dime.

no offense meant...but fuck that.

Pistons < Spurs
06-16-2008, 11:38 AM
no offense meant...but fuck that.

:lmao

I'm a KU fan and I was all upset he suddenly made Walker a JHawk!

manufor3
06-16-2008, 12:29 PM
in my mock i have the spurs taking rush and walker

Pistons < Spurs
06-16-2008, 01:08 PM
UPDATE - Walker has decided to stay in the draft. An MRI revealed no tear in the MCL or ACL of his right knee. Walker is confident this is only a temporary setback and will circulate the results of the MRI.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9092

It's from HoopsWorld ... so take it for what it's worth.

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Well, good for him if true. But considering the source I'd like a second opinion.

Pistons < Spurs
06-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Kansas State Wildcats redshirt freshman Bill Walker will remain in the NBA draft despite injuring his right knee at a workout over the weekend, his advisor, Chris Rivers said Monday afternoon.

Rivers, the director of basketball at Reebok, said that an MRI taken Monday didn't reveal a tear of the MCL or the ACL, which was feared when Walker heard a pop prior to working out for 21 teams at the Golden State Warriors' practice facility in Oakland.

Rivers said he is confident that Walker will be a first-round draft pick and that this latest setback wasn't enough to keep him out of the draft. Rivers said he was going to circulate the MRI results to teams over the coming days. He said there was an injury but he termed it a minor injury.

The deadline to withdraw from the NBA draft is Monday at 5 p.m. ET.

Walker has had multiple knee injuries during his playing career. He played in six games during the 2006-07 season before tearing his ACL in his left knee. He graduated from high school that October and became eligible for Kansas State in December. Playing as the understudy to Michael Beasley on the Wildcats this season, Walker averaged 16.1 points and 6.3 rebounds.

Walker has worked out for Detroit, with the 29th pick, and Toronto, with the 17th. He turned down an invitation to the Orlando pre-draft camp last month.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/news/story?id=3446626

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-16-2008, 01:12 PM
I'd say there's a great chance he falls to #45 now.

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 01:14 PM

#26 - Chalmers
#45 - Walker

Wouldn't be bad.

TheProfessor
06-16-2008, 01:15 PM
No, I think they got good news if he's staying.

Pistons < Spurs
06-16-2008, 01:17 PM

I don't know.... I'm starting to get the feeling that the Pistons have given him a confirmation that they'll take him at #29.

Mr. Body
06-16-2008, 01:17 PM
I don't know.... I'm starting to get the feeling that the Pistons have given him a confirmation that they'll take him at #29.

Same feeling here.

K-State Spur
06-16-2008, 01:31 PM

I'd be mildly shocked if he falls that far.

He may be shot as far as first round goes. But once you to the 31st pick and the contracts are no longer guaranteed, a guy with lottery talent looks like a pretty worthwhile gamble.

MannyIsGod
06-16-2008, 01:42 PM
So he goes back after picking up a minimum NBA contract for a year or two. I'm sure that'll cover tuition and room and board.

Assuming he gets an NBA contract. Once again, 2nd round picks don't nessecarily get shit of course.

MannyIsGod
06-16-2008, 01:44 PM
:lmao

I'm a KU fan and I was all upset he suddenly made Walker a JHawk!

LOL

Oops.

MannyIsGod
06-16-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm thinking that if he's staying in his has a team telling him they'll take him. I think the Spurs picking up at 26 is a long long shot but if he falls into the 2nd round I would hope they would trade up for him.

tav1
06-16-2008, 01:48 PM
If he's staying in, he has a promise.

Hmmmm. Two days ago Walker at #26 was a great pick, not I'm not so confident. I think I'd rather have Lee and Batum now. I think all three will be there. I wish we could get two of the three. That would be such a hom run of a draft...

Damn. I like this draft.

AFBlue
06-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Use the second rounder and some cash to trade into the first round or top of the second...get this kid.

AFBlue
06-16-2008, 05:30 PM
He and Chalmers would be a dream draft for me.

timvp
06-16-2008, 07:21 PM
After yet another knee injury I've cooled on him slightly but I still think he's a nice pick at 26. He has the athleticism and talent to become the best player drafted in the second half of the first round. His noodle knees are scary but you aren't finding a flawless prospect at 26.

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 07:23 PM
I think he's gone before 45. What will be tough is if CDR and Walker are on the board at #26...along with Chalmers.

K-State Spur
06-16-2008, 07:38 PM
He has the athleticism and talent to become the best player drafted in the second half of the first round.

He's got the athleticism and talent to be one of the best 3 or 4 players in the entire draft. Now, obviously that's near his absolute ceiling, but that ceiling is way up there.

AFBlue
06-16-2008, 11:05 PM
If Chalmers is off the board at #26, I wonder if the Spurs would give Walker a look. They were reportedly impressed with him early, though they might have cooled on him considerably given the obvious questions with his knee.

Still, the athleticism and upside are hard to ignore.

An interesting scenario would have Chalmers off the board and the Spurs left to choose between CDR and Walker (or PF).

Do the Spurs draft potential or immediate production?

Probably won't unfold that way, but it's interesting to think about.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-16-2008, 11:19 PM
Anyone who's had one ACL injury can tell you that for starters, the other one is likely to follow, and also that you're pretty much doomed to knee problems for the rest of your life following it.

The sad thing is our front office is stupid enough about domestic talent this is the kind of draft day mistake they'd make.

K-State Spur
06-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Anyone who's had one ACL injury can tell you that for starters, the other one is likely to follow, and also that you're pretty much doomed to knee problems for the rest of your life following it.

The sad thing is our front office is stupid enough about domestic talent this is the kind of draft day mistake they'd make.

So, you would be against drafting Brandon Rush if he fell to 26?

duncan228
06-17-2008, 01:07 PM
Another piece on Walker staying in the draft.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/8251220/Walker-going-pro-despite-knee-injury?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=99

Walker going pro despite knee injury
by Jeff Goodman

Despite suffering a knee injury this past weekend, Bill Walker will remain in the NBA Draft.

"He's definitely staying in, said Walker's advisor, Chris Rivers of Reebok.
Walker had fully anticipated staying in the draft prior to suffering a slight tear in the meniscus of his right knee — even as far as to remove the nameplate from his locker at Kansas State.

However, the family huddled Monday afternoon just hours before the 5 p.m. ET deadline to withdraw from the draft and opted to move forward and bypass the final three years of his college eligibility.

"We expect once he gets healthy, three or four teams will still consider him as a late first-round pick," Rivers said.

Walker suffered the injury while part of a mass workout at the Golden State Warriors facility.

Walker injured the same knee in high school and also suffered a torn ACL in his right knee early in an abbreviated freshman campaign at Kansas State.

"If it's true, it would be unfortunate," Martin said, "We knew Bill was going to take as much time as possible to make an intelligent decision."

One source indicated that Walker is set to sign with the same agent as his childhood friend and teammate, O.J. Mayo, who inked with Leon Rose after cutting ties with Bill Duffy.

Walker, who passed on the opportunity to play in the Orlando Pre-Draft Camp, has only had two workouts for individual teams — Detroit (29th) and Toronto (17th).

ace3g
06-19-2008, 02:41 AM
Pistons Promise To Draft Walker At No. 29?

Rumors are swirling that the Pistons have promised Kansas State forward Bill Walker that they will select him if he's still available with the twenty-ninth overall pick, according to Michigan Live.

Walker injured his knee earlier this week but opted to stay in the draft, which has added to the speculation.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53057/20080618/pistons_promise_to_draft_walker_at_no_29/

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2008, 10:32 PM
-Bill Walker’s has decided not to have surgery on his recent knee injury, now suspected to be a minor ligament strain. Walker will be sidelined for 3-6 weeks, but is in the process of visiting teams in the draft at the moment. He was in Memphis and Detroit this past week, but does not appear have a promise from anyone at this point, as opposed to what was suggested by one media outlet. According to people close to Walker, the initial diagnosis of a partially torn Meniscus from the group workout in Golden State was incorrect.

link (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Word-on-the-Street-Rounding-Up-2940/)