06-02-2008, 12:52 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/chase_budinger.jpg

Full Name: Chase Budinger
Position: Forward
Height/Weight: 6-7 / 208
Birthdate: May 22, 1988
High School: La Costa Canyon HS
College: Arizona

NBA (http://www.nba.com/draft2008/profiles/ChaseBudinger.html)
NBADraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/chasebudinger.html)
DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Chase-Budinger-502/)

Oink Oink
06-02-2008, 10:18 PM
I hope he slips to 26. :hat

Mr. Body
06-02-2008, 10:20 PM
This guy seems to have tumbled a bit out of the lottery, although he could still go there. Many have picked him to get nabbed by Phoenix as a local kid.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 10:21 PM
he wouldnt fit in good with our system

Oink Oink
06-02-2008, 10:24 PM
He can play volleyball with Mahinmi.

jjktkk
06-02-2008, 10:25 PM
he wouldnt fit in good with our system

Quick, athletic, can hit the 3, very high ceiling. Are you kidding me?:wtf

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 10:27 PM

I cant see him a spur

Spur-Addict
06-02-2008, 10:29 PM
He screams Luke Jackson to me. Not really interested, he'd have to show me somethin' down the line while already in the league.

E20
06-02-2008, 10:33 PM
You misspelled his name in the title.......no offense. LOL

But yeah when SLAM was doing interviews for all the HS kids in Oden's class, he made the 1st team with Oden and Durant.

GSH
06-02-2008, 10:41 PM
This is why they shouldn't allow people to do all the damn genetic manipulation and test-tube babies. He's clearly been pieced together from Dirk and Bonner.:nope

usckk
06-02-2008, 11:20 PM

No...not kidding. He's super athletic, but he's too streaky and cannot play any defense.

Spurtacus
06-02-2008, 11:28 PM
This is why they shouldn't allow people to do all the damn genetic manipulation and test-tube babies. He's clearly been pieced together from Dirk and Bonner.:nope

:lol

spurspf
06-03-2008, 02:09 AM
No...not kidding. He's super athletic, but he's too streaky and cannot play any defense.

You can teach defense, athleticism, not so much.

usckk
06-03-2008, 11:35 PM
You can teach, but few will grasp it completely, especially the way the Spurs want them to play.

jdaveah
06-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Unlike last year's Arizona prospect in our range (Marcus Williams), I wouldn't be totally opposed to picking up Budinger. He doesn't have the mentality to take over games and be a superstar, which hurt him in college. Not a problem here, he won't ever need to carry anything.

The comparison I really like for Chase is Brent Barry. Coming out of school they were athletic Pac 10 guys who could be solid slashers with good shots. As Chase ages, I can see his career developing in much the same way Brent's has. The difference is that when Brent first came in the league he didn't play for a coach that emphasized defense. If Chase were to play for Pop, it's entirely possible that his athleticism allows him to become a reliable defensive player who could be pretty good at getting in passing lanes.

All in all, I think it's unlikely that he slips to us, but I'd welcome him if he does. I can understand Spurs fans' trepidation about another Arizona player after the Marcus Williams debacle, but Chase is a MUCH different situation.

spursfan98
06-04-2008, 01:43 AM
PHX will take him i guarantee it

jdaveah
06-07-2008, 06:03 PM
I've actually seen him falling to us in a few mocks recently. Also looks like he's pretty set against going back to school.

AFBlue
06-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Unlike last year's Arizona prospect in our range (Marcus Williams), I wouldn't be totally opposed to picking up Budinger. He doesn't have the mentality to take over games and be a superstar, which hurt him in college. Not a problem here, he won't ever need to carry anything.

The comparison I really like for Chase is Brent Barry. Coming out of school they were athletic Pac 10 guys who could be solid slashers with good shots. As Chase ages, I can see his career developing in much the same way Brent's has. The difference is that when Brent first came in the league he didn't play for a coach that emphasized defense. If Chase were to play for Pop, it's entirely possible that his athleticism allows him to become a reliable defensive player who could be pretty good at getting in passing lanes.

All in all, I think it's unlikely that he slips to us, but I'd welcome him if he does. I can understand Spurs fans' trepidation about another Arizona player after the Marcus Williams debacle, but Chase is a MUCH different situation.

:tu Good take.

I think I'd rather have Rush, Walker, or Batum....but this kid would certainly solve alot of the offensive challenges facing the Spurs. He's got a smooth game with nice athleticism and crazy range on his jumpshot.

Of course he would still need to learn to play defense, but the Barry comparison is a good one....even down to his "laid back" demeanor.

If this kid fell to the Spurs he'd be hard to pass up. And if he gets chosen before then, it's likely one of the three listed above are falling to #26.

LakerLanny
06-07-2008, 11:07 PM
He went to HS a mile from my house, he is a great kid and an unreal athlete. He was a man among boys in HS, that's for damn sure.

I was expecting huge things from him at Arizona and honestly have been a bit disappointed in his lack of development. His biggest weaknesses clearly are defense and quite honestly hustle.

He needs to pick up his intensity big time to be a NBA standout, but he has all the skills and most importantly the athletic ability to do just that. He is from a great family and has a good head on his shoulders.

I think Chase will be a very good NBA player, the pace of the game is much better suited to him than the bump and grind Pac 10 games.

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 12:55 AM
He went to HS a mile from my house, he is a great kid and an unreal athlete. He was a man among boys in HS, that's for damn sure.

I was expecting huge things from him at Arizona and honestly have been a bit disappointed in his lack of development. His biggest weaknesses clearly are defense and quite honestly hustle.

He needs to pick up his intensity big time to be a NBA standout, but he has all the skills and most importantly the athletic ability to do just that. He is from a great family and has a good head on his shoulders.

I think Chase will be a very good NBA player, the pace of the game is much better suited to him than the bump and grind Pac 10 games.

The Lakers are a bunch of whiny, sissy, cheating crybabies lead by a colossal jackass.

Signed,
Mr. Body

SenorSpur
06-09-2008, 02:16 PM
I'd prefer to see PHX take this guy, thereby leaving Rush on the board. I just prefer Rush over almost anyone else.

beachwood
06-12-2008, 04:02 PM
I'm a big Arizona fan and thought Budinger had a disappointing year. He's definitely not ready for the NBA yet, but of course someone is telling him he is. He lack quickness, strength and mental toughness. He gave up in games too easily.

He reminded me a lot of Marcus Williams.

SenorSpur
06-12-2008, 06:21 PM
This guy seems to have tumbled a bit out of the lottery, although he could still go there. Many have picked him to get nabbed by Phoenix as a local kid.

I sure hope so. That will give the Spurs a better chance at landing Rush.

jdaveah
06-15-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm a big Arizona fan and thought Budinger had a disappointing year. He's definitely not ready for the NBA yet, but of course someone is telling him he is. He lack quickness, strength and mental toughness. He gave up in games too easily.

He reminded me a lot of Marcus Williams.

Comparing Chase to Marcus is doing a major disservice to Chase. There were times late in games that he would defer to Bayless because Bayless is a superstar talent at least in the NCAA. That's different from giving up. It also can't be understated how much the change from Lute to Kevin O'Neill hurt Chase and the entire squad. The problem with Marcus was that he didn't have the athleticism to cover the odd quirks in his game, ie. awful shooting form and touch, bad defensive fundamentals. Chase has that athleticism and none of the same issues.

As has been said, I'd prefer Rush or Batum and possibly CDR, but I wouldn't be unhappy if Chase was the selection.

Mr. Body
06-16-2008, 04:02 PM
He's pulling out. As DX has it, he was working out only for teams higher than his projected slot, didn't really want to admit his true value in this draft.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Chase Budinger has withdrawn his name from the draft, according to an NBA executive with knowledge of the situation. Budinger conducted the process strangely from what we could gather, opting to work out for numerous teams who were well ahead of his draft range, such as the Knicks (#6), Clippers (#7) and Kings (#15)—and thus likely did not have the type of information he needed to make an informed decision. He will be returning to a situation in Arizona where he will have no chance but step up and have a great year, which puts a lot of pressure on him, but also will tell us a great deal about the kind of player he is. He will likely start off the year as a projected lottery pick and preseason All-American.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Early-Entry-Withdrawal-Deadline-Who-s-In-or-Out--455-EST--2929/

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Not helpful.

SenorSpur
06-16-2008, 04:20 PM
This all but clinches Rush going to PHX @ #15.

Mr. Body
06-16-2008, 04:22 PM
He was falling to the end of the round since apparently he didn't work out for anyone able to pick him.

duncan228
06-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Another piece on him withdrawing from the draft.

http://regulus2.azstarnet.com/blogs/pascoe/9781/report-budinger-has-change-of-heart

Budinger has change of heart
Bruce Pascoe

The NBA feedback Chase Budinger received has pushed him back to school, after all.

According to Draft Express, Budinger withdrew his name from the Draft just before the 2 p.m. deadline today. UA spokesman Richard Paige confirmed the decision by sending out a release this afternoon.

Budinger was expected to leave if assured he would be a Top 20 pick, and he spoke confidently about staying in the draft when he worked out for the Suns last week. But he slipped during the course of the six workouts he took, according to many of the mock drafts, and was looking at being a late first-round pick with no apparent guarantee that he would be in the first round.

As Marcus Williams found out last year, slipping into the second round and failing to make the San Antonio Spurs roster out of training camp, that’s a scary place to be.

misterx91578
06-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Budinger worked out for Golden State on Sunday and Sacramento on Monday morning, which were his last two opportunities to earn himself a promise from an NBA team.

While the Golden State workout was said to have gone well, Budinger still didn't have any guarantee that he would be selected in the first round, making his ultimate decision easier.

from go az cats

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 06:06 PM
I guess he thinks he will be able to go in the low 1st round this year or next and wants to see if he can become a lottery pick next year.

timvp
06-16-2008, 06:48 PM
He would have nice at 26. Ah well.

alamo50
06-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Great decision by Chase and great pressure by Olson (lol).
He will finaly play Arizona bball again under coach Olson and compete against Connecticutt for the championship.

Top 5 pick next draft for sure.

Mr. Body
06-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Great decision by Chase and great pressure by Olson (lol).
He will finaly play Arizona bball again under coach Olson and compete against Connecticutt for the championship.

Top 5 pick next draft for sure.

I'm not sure I agree with a single thing you've said here.

alamo50
06-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Well print it out, hang it on your fridge and get back to me in March.