06-02-2008, 01:49 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/sonny_weems.jpg

Full Name: Sonny Weems
Position: Guard
Height/Weight: 6-6 / 203
Birthdate: July 8, 1986
High School: West Memphis HS
College: Arkansas

NBA (http://www.nba.com/draft2008/profiles/SonnyWeems.html)
NBADraft.net (http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/sonnyweems.html)
DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Sonny-Weems-330/)

timvp
06-04-2008, 04:10 PM
I've only seen Weems play a couple times but his measurements were intriguing. 6-foot-6 with a 37 inch vertical and the fastest 3/4th court speed of anyone tested (and one of the fastest marks of all time). Also showed some three-point range at Arkansas.

At 45, this guy is draftable based on his athleticism alone. Finding a guy who can run with Parker wouldn't be bad.

MoSpur
06-04-2008, 04:17 PM
I saw him live on ESPN when he was here at UTSA in that dunk contest. Dude has crazy athletic ability.

Bruno
06-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Sonny Weems!

MoSpur
06-04-2008, 04:21 PM
He does have a decent shot though. Not the best, but solid.

Brutalis
06-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Alright here's your scoop.

Sonny was a Jr. College transfer the year before last, at the time he was Juco Player of the Year.

His mid range shot is deadly. However he college 3 p shot was inconsistent.

His defense is outstanding. He uses his body and doesn't reach often.

Among the SEC he flat out school Shan Foster in two meetings this year. Off the dribble, in his face shots.. name it.

He can jump through the roof, and can run with ANYONE. Period.

His problems are his confidence and sometimes he just goes missing on offense. He is not selfish at all... at all .. he has to be told to take the ball to the hole. He is very shy with the ball for some reason.

I think he would be great for us. We could get him in the 2nd round guys, and put him on the Toros. He is worth it.

djohn14
06-04-2008, 05:11 PM

Sonny was a Jr. College transfer the year before last, at the time he was Juco Player of the Year.

Among the SEC he flat out school Shan Foster in two meetings this year. Off the dribble, in his face shots.. name it.

His problems are his confidence and sometimes he just goes missing on offense. He is not selfish at all... at all .. he has to be told to take the ball to the hole. He is very shy with the ball for some reason.

I think he would be great for us. We could get him in the 2nd round guys, and put him on the Toros. He is worth it.You said it. I caught all of their games on the local station. I really cant add to that, except to just brag on his athletic ability.

Brutalis
06-04-2008, 05:15 PM
You said it. I caught all of their games on the local station. I really cant add to that, except to just brag on his athletic ability.

Ew Tiger fan. You guys pummeled us after we fired Nutt in the Cotton Bowl. After that game I bet you realized why he is gone. (well official saying is we bought him out but we know better)

Anyways yea.

Just needs to work on his confidence, and shooting. He has great size, something the Spurs need for sure. A balanced SG, too small to be an NBA SF.

203 as his weight is being nice. He is 195 tops.

SPURSGOAT
06-04-2008, 05:24 PM

I think he would be great for us. We could get him in the 2nd round guys, and put him on the Toros. He is worth it.

Dang! Yea if we can snag him in the second round... I dunno about D-League... might be worth having on the bench and would be great for helping out on D.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Sonny Weems 6-5 193 SG Arkansas Sr. -- 11.0 ppg, 42% fg

One of the better prospects this week, he may not be at the skill level of some of the other perimeter players at the camp are right now, but seeing his major recent improvements and adding in his terrific length and athleticism one cannot help but think that Weems may become a very good player one day. He has transformed from just an athlete into a guy who is able to do some crafty things off the dribble as well as with his shot. He has great elevation and his release point is so high that it makes his shot virtually unblockable, and he has also shown that he is more than capable of knocking it down even under duress. There are question marks with his consistency as well as his ability to handle the physical play that he will face at the next level. He could add another 10 pounds of muscle to his frame, but if he continues to develop his game, he could develop into an impact player in the NBA.

link (http://www.nbadraft.net/2008nbapredraftcamp008.asp)

Gino2882
06-08-2008, 07:48 PM
I watched the IU/Arkansas game and this guy was all over the floor. I believe he had around 30 points.

His athleticism would be great for the Spurs, as Parker and Weems running the fast break could be something special.

Spurtacus
06-08-2008, 07:54 PM

You convinced me. I want him to join the Spurs.

Brutalis
06-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Ahh I said Austin not the Spurs.

He has NBA hustle, speed, tenacity for sure. It's consistent shooting, defending and making plays he needs to learn in Austin.

T Park
06-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Sounds like someone you can draft, let England work with, and develop in Austin.

Very intriguing prospect.

Brutalis
06-08-2008, 08:11 PM
He won the Slam Dunk thing they have every year in college not that it's a big deal.

vIp40WgQXi0

Brutalis
06-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Highlight Video

z64oJTF0Au8

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 08:15 PM
If the Spurs don't draft a SG in the first (Courtney Lee) I'd like to pick him up somehow.

Man of Steel
06-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Sign him

Silverheart80
06-17-2008, 04:14 PM
This guy seems to have fallen off our radar here at SpursTalk. Found him back there on page 10 just now. I'm still really intrigued by him. Anyone have any updated thoughts on where he might go in the draft, and most specifically whether the Spurs have any interest in him at 45?

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Boston, New Jersey, Chicago, New Orleans, Houston, Minnesota, Miami, Cleveland, Memphis, Seattle, Denver, Golden State, Los Angels Lakers, Phoenix and San Antonio all have requested workout time with Weems. He's going to workout for those teams between now and the June 26th draft.

link (http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/sports_blog_post.asp?pID=3421)

Silverheart80
06-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks, Marcus. :toast

Yikes....according to that report, his ballhandling may need some improvement. Red flag? I'm not so worried about shooting deficiencies since we've got Chip Engelland, but if a guard can't dribble in traffic, that sounds to me like a great athlete who doesn't necessarily translate into a great basketball player.

On a different note....interesting that he's represented by a San Antonio-based agent, Roger Montgomery...