PDA

View Full Version : 3pt shot question

Spurs Rule
01-28-2005, 12:07 PM
What actually determines if a shot is a 2 or a 3?

Is it an issue about the foot/feet location or where the ball is when the player scores?

Kori Ellis
01-28-2005, 12:08 PM
Both feet need to be behind the line when the shot is attempted.

ALVAREZ6
01-28-2005, 12:14 PM
Yeah.

If one of your feet are even skimming the line, it's a 2.

BigVee
01-28-2005, 12:19 PM
Not trying to be picky but I think both feet behind the line when you go into your shot....that is, your feet could be over the line in the air as long as they were behind the line when you jumped? Right, wrong?

Spurs Rule
01-28-2005, 12:20 PM
Thanks. I found this on the NBA site.

Section I-Scoring
a. A legal field goal or free throw attempt shall be scored when a live ball from the playing area enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through the net.
b. A successful field goal attempt from the area on or inside the three-point field goal line shall count two points.
c. A successful field goal attempt from the area outside the three-point field goal line shall count three points.
(1) The shooter must have at least one foot on the floor outside the three-point field goal line prior to the attempt.
(2) The shooter may not be touching the floor on or inside the three-point field goal line.
(3) The shooter may contact the three-point field goal line, or land in the two-point field goal area, after the ball is released.

ALVAREZ6
01-28-2005, 12:21 PM
Not trying to be picky but I think both feet behind the line when you go into your shot....that is, your feet could be over the line in the air as long as they were behind the line when you jumped? Right, wrong?
right.

Spurs Rule
01-28-2005, 12:26 PM
I don't know if high school, NCAA and the NBA are the same or different.

I bring this up b/c of what happened between LSU and Arkansas last week. Made me think of the rules.

1. If a player takes off and clearly has both feet behind the 3 pt. line and dunks it, if humanly possible, is it a 2 or a 3?

2. If a player has one foot in front and the other behind the 3 pt line, fade way in the air, and both feet are clearly behind the line (in the air) is it a 2 or a 3?

Solid D
01-28-2005, 12:27 PM
(2) The shooter may not be touching the floor on or inside the three-point field goal line.

Key clause as it applies to pre-release of the shot.

Solid D
01-28-2005, 12:29 PM
1. If a player takes off and clearly has both feet behind the 3 pt. line and dunks it, if humanly possible, is it a 2 or a 3?

Yeah, I think that'll happen when Flubber becomes "real".

bigzak25
01-28-2005, 12:30 PM

i'd like to see that.....

Spurs Rule
01-28-2005, 12:32 PM

I said "if". 2 or 3?

myhc
01-28-2005, 12:54 PM

lebron james. i have faith. :smokin

Phenomanul
01-28-2005, 01:15 PM

"My" shoes increased my vertical by 15% but no way would they allow someone to dunk from behind the three point line.... funny you would tie the two threads... :spin

Here's my question: What if I picked up a player (like a 4-old) who was standing behind the 3 pt line... and then carried him over to the paint where he released it... 2 or a 3??? :lol :lol

boutons
01-28-2005, 01:39 PM
I think the NBA should widen the court by 4 ft on either side, and add a 5-pt arc at 6 feet beyond the 3-pt arc.

Then that motor-mouth jackass Doug Collins coud say:

"They've come back to be down just 15 points, that's only a 3 possession-game" :)

Useruser666
01-28-2005, 01:55 PM
If a player's trampoline is outside the 3 point line when he bounces off it, it is still not counted.

:lol

BigVee
01-28-2005, 02:19 PM
If a guy shoots a three pointer in the forrest and no one sees him, does it count?

ALVAREZ6
01-28-2005, 02:51 PM

It's a 3.

mrose31
01-28-2005, 03:11 PM
It would be a three. Isn't that why the changed the rules for free throw shooting because the use to be able to run and try and dunk it.

Useruser666
01-28-2005, 03:15 PM
What if a bunch of players sit on each others shoulders and the guy at the top dunks it?

Rummpd
01-28-2005, 03:24 PM
c. A successful field goal attempt from the area outside the three-point field goal line shall count three points.
(1) The shooter must have at least one foot on the floor outside the three-point field goal line prior to the attempt.
(3) The shooter may contact the three-point field goal line, or land in the two-point field goal area, after the ball is released.

I am sitting here trying in my mind to figure the logic out = if one foot is needed and he can't be touching inside or line - where is the other one (up in the air?) and the player hops on one leg to make the darn shot? ???

I could see this getting complicated at the end of a buzzer beater.

Personally, to start an arguement BB was better game without the 3. I cannot figure out why NBA players get hot out there let clank clank clank often from 20 feet in.

sickdsm
01-28-2005, 11:32 PM
I always thought that guys like lebron and co need to perfect the finger roll/tear drop so they could take off from behind the arc on a breakaway and drop in a 12-15 ft shot for 3.............