06-02-2008, 02:36 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/malik_hairston.jpg

Full Name: Malik Samory Hairston
Position: Guard
Height/Weight: 6-6 / 220
Birthdate: February 23, 1987
High School: Renaissance HS
College: Oregon

NBA (http://www.nba.com/draft2008/profiles/MalikHairston.html)
NBADraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/malikhairston.html)
DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Malik-Hairston-214/)

mountainballer
06-02-2008, 03:29 AM
Hairston looked very good at the predraft camp. some mocks expect him to move up the board, because of this nice showing. it will likley take the #45 pick to get him.
overall he looks like a player, who could fit quite well. talented, great ball handler, good shooter, quite strong, good rebounder, good passer, smart.
flaws: average athleticism and a decent defender at best.
word is he has worked hard in the last weeks, so he no longer carries this extra pounds. has some steal potential in the 2nd round. if the Spurs didn't pick a wing with the higher pick, he could be the best option at #45.
(he still is only 21, so there might be more upside left, than the usual college senior displays)

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 06:10 AM
Could be there at #45 and is probably a very good value at that point. This is a kid that hasn't seen it materialize, but has legit NBA talent.

SequSpur
06-26-2008, 11:25 PM
Awesome!!! :lmao

whitebust
06-26-2008, 11:26 PM
nice. this draft might not turn out as bad as it seemed it would

Cant_Be_Faded
06-26-2008, 11:28 PM
clandestino covered in peanutbutter >>> a slovenian point guard owned by tau ceramica

SequSpur
06-26-2008, 11:28 PM
Strengths: Has good size and strength for the two-guard position. Tough to contain defensively on drives to the hoop. Shoots consistently from all distances. Unselfish and confident player.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Welcome to Vegas, Malik.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-26-2008, 11:31 PM
Strengths: Has good size and strength for the two-guard position. Tough to contain defensively on drives to the hoop. Shoots consistently from all distances. Unselfish and confident player.

Sounds better. He'll hopefully pan out for us to address our matchup problems with the blockier wings like the Paul Pierces/Bonzis, that our stringbean SG's had trouble with.

SenorSpur
06-26-2008, 11:32 PM
So they chose this guy over CDR?

Mister Sinister
06-26-2008, 11:32 PM
Whose house?

pad300
06-26-2008, 11:36 PM

No, assuming they pre-arranged it, they chose Hairston and 2009 2nd over Hendrix or Walker

TheProfessor
06-26-2008, 11:37 PM
Pretty much. But I doubt they ever had any interest in CDR.

Spurs got a wing who does a little bit of everything, a second round pick, and sent the Suns someone Tau might not want to let go in a couple of years.

Sense
06-26-2008, 11:39 PM
lmao how the fuck is that guy a year older than me? Jeesus...

he looks like he's 35

T Park
06-26-2008, 11:40 PM
CDR wasn't too impressive to the other teams either.

So are they all morons too?

Chill.

TheProfessor
06-26-2008, 11:43 PM
Getting a power guard that shoots over 50% from the field, 40% from threes in a tough conference in the second round isn't too awful. Especially when you get another pick and some cash out of the deal.

SenorSpur
06-26-2008, 11:43 PM
Look all this shit is a crap shoot.

I'd rather have a guy who has the more impressive college resume over one that does not.

for the record, no one said they were morons. But we'll find out if a few years.

So you chill.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2008, 11:44 PM
We'll see next month what he's about.

SequSpur
06-26-2008, 11:45 PM

I'd rather have a guy who has the more impressive college resume over one that does not.

for the record, no one said they were morons. But we'll find out if a few years.

So you chill.

I agree, CDR is a fucking lock, just like Carlos Boozer was...

Who were the morons in that situation?

Biggems
06-26-2008, 11:48 PM

he looks like he's 35

He is actually 42, he is Oden's older step brother

angelbelow
06-26-2008, 11:49 PM

he looks like he's 35

:lol

MagnusKrauss
06-26-2008, 11:49 PM
looks like another winner for the annual rodeo road trip beard-growing contest!
(assuming he lasts that long or isn't with the toros)

but seriously, a nice piece for the spurs.

Brutalis
06-26-2008, 11:54 PM
Guys don't be fooled. This dude is a joke. Seen him play several times this year including against Vandy. He is D League at best folks.

T Park
06-26-2008, 11:57 PM
Guys don't be fooled. This dude is a joke. Seen him play several times this year including against Vandy. He is D League at best folks.

oh well in that case we should all swing.

I mean a couple sample games tells all!!!

Brutalis
06-27-2008, 12:02 AM
oh well in that case we should all swing.

I mean a couple sample games tells all!!!

He is undersized, and what's worst -- soft.

Soft and undersized. :bang:bang:bang

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2008, 12:03 AM
A player no one fathomed would step foot on this setting (besides possibly to conduct a physical) when he entered the NCAA four years ago as a top-10 player in an incredible class, Malik Hairston did a pretty good job reminding people in Orlando why he was so highly regarded to begin with.

Smart, efficient, unselfish, skilled and sporting much sleeker physique (credit Joe Abunassar for helping him lose 20 pounds) than he did two months ago, Malik Hairston quietly, but effectively showed that he has every right to be considered one of the top players at the pre-draft camp. His court vision and all-around feel for the game was the most noticeable thing here comparing him with other players, as he repeatedly found his teammates with beautiful bounce passes off the dribble in every game he played in (even if for some reason he wasn’t credited with at least a half-dozen assists in the box-score).

His ball-handling skills look better than we remembered, as he’s extremely effective picking his spots and blowing past his man with his surprising first step, even if he tends to struggle a bit with his left hand and some of his advanced moves. His excellent strength helps him out considerably in this area, and he was getting much better lift elevating around the basket than we recalled. He rarely turns the ball over, which is a big plus considering what his role will be in the NBA.

Hairston is a good shooter, as evidenced by the 53% he shot from the field and 43% from behind the arc at Oregon, even if he didn’t really make it a focal point to show off NBA range here. He does a good job moving without the ball and is capable of coming off short screens and getting his shot off. He’s extremely dangerous with his feet set, but is just average at best shooting off the dribble. To his credit, though, he knows how to pick his spots and rarely will take bad shots. He will have to improve his mid-range game considerably if he intends on becoming a legit offensive option for his team in the NBA.

Defensively, Hairston has good length and knows how to play solid on-ball defense when he puts his mind to it. He has excellent timing and strength, but is slightly undersized to play the small forward position, and doesn’t bring fantastic lateral quickness to the table to compensate. He is also not the most aggressive or aware player you’ll find in terms of his team defense.

Hairston probably didn’t blow anyone away with what he showed at the pre-draft camp, and thus is still most likely a second round pick at this point, but he did show that he clearly has what it takes to make it in the NBA, particularly in terms of his aggressiveness, which has always been a question mark. Teams aren’t going to have to teach him how to play basketball, and he still has room to continue to improve on his all-around skill-level, as he’s a very young senior at just age 21. He’ll never be the star he was once billed as, but he definitely has a chance to be a very good role player.

link (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Malik-Hairston-214/)

T Park
06-27-2008, 12:07 AM
Nice write up on him.

Sounds like someone who could develop for a year in Austin, and then have a shot at training camp in 09 to replace Barry.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-27-2008, 12:14 AM

Watching college basketball on your couch is not scouting.

Brutalis
06-27-2008, 12:18 AM
Watching college basketball on your couch is not scouting.

OMG MYBAD you must have watched him more than me!!!

:sleep

T Park
06-27-2008, 12:21 AM

So you know more than the other multiple scouts?

FuzzyLumpkins
06-27-2008, 12:28 AM

No, what I am saying is that your post is meaningless; it posits nothing.

I would never make a claim like that from watching TV.

There are always blowhards claiming, "Oh, I saw him against USC, HE SUCKS." Its the typical the sky is falling nonsense that you see every draft day for every sport.

Here's a hint: watching a couple of games is not enough to evaluate a player.

TDMVPDPOY
06-27-2008, 12:39 AM
if he can grow another 2inches will be good for the wing spot

Brutalis
06-27-2008, 01:03 AM
So you know more than the other multiple scouts?

You too often quote people and put words in their mouth. Nobody said that shit dude, nor hinted it. Come on now.

T Park
06-27-2008, 01:07 AM
You too often quote people and put words in their mouth. Nobody said that shit dude, nor hinted it. Come on now.

Your spouting off about how horrible he is, when many scouts from the recent draft camp and others note how good he is.

T Park
06-27-2008, 01:08 AM
if he can grow another 2inches will be good for the wing spot

6 6 is good for a shooting guard...

Brutalis
06-27-2008, 01:15 AM
No, what I am saying is that your post is meaningless; it posits nothing.

See, now that's the thing about message boards. People post their thoughts- maybe you're new to that?

I would never make a claim like that from watching TV.

That's you. Just like several guys I get a chance to watch that are NBA prospects, I watch them even away from the ball. Not the whole game as usually there is more than one.

There are always blowhards claiming, "Oh, I saw him against USC, HE SUCKS." Its the typical the sky is falling nonsense that you see every draft day for every sport.

Here's a hint: watching a couple of games is not enough to evaluate a player.

No, it's not typical. By now it's normal. Because one has an opinion of him from seeing him a few times means he is proclaiming to be an NBA scout, and all that? Fuck off with your own sky is falling nonsense.

Take a hint: Assuming makes an ass out of us all. You should slow it down.

Brutalis
06-27-2008, 01:16 AM
Your spouting off about how horrible he is, when many scouts from the recent draft camp and others note how good he is.

That's just my opinion. And the vids I watch of him impress me none. So while you and the n00b claim I'm some NBA scout nobody knows about, I'll just keep my opinions and defend them instead.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-27-2008, 01:25 AM
That's just my opinion. And the vids I watch of him impress me none. So while you and the n00b claim I'm some NBA scout nobody knows about, I'll just keep my opinions and defend them instead.

Watching youtube videos of college basketball is not scouting either. I could care less what part of the floor your watching.

And yes it is one thing to form an opinion. Its quite another to make superlatives like:

Guys don't be fooled. This dude is a joke. Seen him play several times this year including against Vandy.

Its actually quite sad.

Brutalis
06-27-2008, 01:29 AM
Watching youtube videos of college basketball is not scouting either. I could care less what part of the floor your watching.

And yes it is one thing to form an opinion. Its quite another to make superlatives like:

Its actually quite sad.

Did he break your heart in high school? Not return your phone calls?

What gives?

You have to be one of the most anal struck posters I have seen in oh a few hours. Get over yourself bud. When the guy turns out to be trash I am going to remember this. Already saved your name in my PMs. And you better still be here calling people out for their thoughts.

Bet you aren't.

T Park
06-27-2008, 01:31 AM

What gives?

You have to be one of the most anal struck posters I have seen in oh a few hours. Get over yourself bud. When the guy turns out to be trash I am going to remember this. Already saved your name in my PMs. And you better still be here calling people out for their thoughts.

Bet you aren't.

Wow a pick at 45 who wouldn't turn out?

Now THATS never happened!!!!

FuzzyLumpkins
06-27-2008, 01:38 AM

What gives?

Bet you aren't.

Oh god not that...... :rolleyes

BTW that doesn't even make sense. He spurned me in high school so I am defending him?

I really am not concerned whether or not he turns out. My issue is with people that scout from their couch and think they know what they are talking about.

I come here on draft day to learn something about the players and you're not helping.

Brutalis
06-27-2008, 01:42 AM
Oh god not that...... :rolleyes

BTW that doesn't even make sense. He spurned me in high school so I am defending him?

I really am not concerned whether or not he turns out. My issue is with people that scout from their couch and think they know what they are talking about.

I come here on draft day to learn something about the players and you're not helping.

It makes perfect sense. Sarcasm is a bitch sometimes ain't it?

Then get off his and my balls. Everyone on this fucking forum has their opinion on our draftees good, bad, and mixed. Most go from watching him, and then taking their assessment from what they saw and make a call on it. That's so terrible right?

And I'm sorry champ, maybe you outta try ESPN or something of the sort and not waste your time picking a dispute with someone who isn't going away.

MaNu4Tres
06-27-2008, 02:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b89fbe2gTm8

For what it's worth.

remingtonbo2001
06-27-2008, 02:40 AM
Good pickup.

Needs to work with the left hand, but other than that seems pretty solid.

T Park
06-27-2008, 02:40 AM
Yeah can't really take much from that.

He will have a shot at the team, but I bet he goes to Austin.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 04:42 AM
Hope he can stick. The guys he'll be compared to who went later: Hendrix, Hardin, Bill Walker.

Getting a 2nd rounder next year may be the best thing to come out of this draft, other than Hill being serviceable.

MaNu4Tres
06-27-2008, 07:10 AM
With the Blazers up and coming, Warriors most likely will miss out on the playoffs again. Their second rounder next year could be in the late 30's.

tav1
06-27-2008, 07:36 AM
He might be nice and all, but I would have much preferred Bill Walker or Richard Hendrix.

I know little about George Hill and I'm resigned to keep an open mind. But passes up Walker and Hendrix at 45 is tough to fathom, even the morning after.

mrspurs
06-27-2008, 07:39 AM
this is why i leave all the scouting to most of yall....cos most of yall are great scouters....hahahaha......go spurs go

Obstructed_View
06-27-2008, 07:44 AM
I don't follow college ball enough to decide if someone's going to be a good pro or not, but the Spurs almost always go off the reservation to make picks. Ever since the week where I wandered around in a daze saying "Bill CURLEY?", I haven't gotten too carried away about draft picks.

I'm probably not the first one to think of it, but I'm also posting to test my new sig.

waly.mg
06-27-2008, 07:48 AM
Another Money Maker Move

MoSpur
06-27-2008, 08:22 AM
I like this pick. I would have been happier w/CDR, Hendrix, or Walker, but its a nice pick.

urunobili
06-27-2008, 08:36 AM
We'll see next month what he's about.

:tu

wildbill2u
06-27-2008, 09:18 AM
Well, what the hell, we got a good shooter and ball handler with size for a SG and maybe can play some SF in a small ball lineup PLUS we got an extra 2nd rounder next year and some cash.

Ain't no 'sure things' at 45.

timvp
06-27-2008, 09:23 AM
If you told me before the draft the Spurs could trade 45 for a future second from Golden State, Malik Hairston and cash I would have said go for it ... even though I think Hairston has only about a 10% chance of panning out into a role player reserve in the mold of a poor man's Aaron McKie.

I give the Spurs a big thumbs up for what they did at 45. I wanted Hendrix or Walker but this trade is even safer. Free look at a decent prospect, the potential to get a very good second rounder next year and cash? Thanks, Kerr.

tav1
06-27-2008, 09:25 AM
If you told me before the draft the Spurs could trade 45 for a future second from Golden State, Malik Hairston and cash I would have said go for it ... even though I think Hairston has only about a 10% chance of panning out into a role player reserve in the mold of a poor man's Aaron McKie.

I give the Spurs a big thumbs up for what they did at 45. I wanted Hendrix or Walker but this trade is even safer.

Yes, they got value, but both Hendrix and Walker had big time "steal of the draft" potential. I appreciate the Spurs responible approach to drafting, but last night was a case when they should have rolled the dice.

timvp
06-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Yes, they got value, but both Hendrix and Walker had big time "steal of the draft" potential. I appreciate the Spurs responible approach to drafting, but last night was a case when they should have rolled the dice.Hill was a major roll of the dice. They could have picked Chalmers or Arthur and everyone would be happy and they'd be getting praised all over the place. Instead they go with a player out of IUUIPIPUIU who could make them look bad if he doesn't pan out.

They could have rolled the dice again in the second round by going with Walker but Walker has a lot of question marks. Hendrix vs. Hairston is pretty equal in terms of risk. The decision between those two comes down to a matter of positional need.

Bruno
06-27-2008, 09:35 AM
Is Udoka a quite accurate NBA comparison for Hairston ?

timvp
06-27-2008, 09:42 AM
Is Udoka a quite accurate NBA comparison for Hairston ?Hairston is more athletic. He had a 38" vertical. Udoka probably has a 20" vertical these days :lol

I'd say Hairston is like a poor man's Aaron McKie with more athleticism. His biggest flaw is his lack of passion. He was a top ten recruit heading into Oregon and instead of turning into a stud he got fat and lazy. He's skilled but his drive for excellence has long been questioned.

If you are going to compare him to a Spur, he's more Finley than Udoka.

Bruno
06-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Hairston is more athletic. He had a 38" vertical. Udoka probably has a 20" vertical these days :lol

Yep, you're right, I doubt Udoka can do that :
cAm6XWEyH4I

rascal
06-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Hill was a major roll of the dice. They could have picked Chalmers or Arthur and everyone would be happy and they'd be getting praised all over the place. Instead they go with a player out of IUUIPIPUIU who could make them look bad if he doesn't pan out.

They could have rolled the dice again in the second round by going with Walker but Walker has a lot of question marks. Hendrix vs. Hairston is pretty equal in terms of risk. The decision between those two comes down to a matter of positional need.

No, the spurs made the safer picks. The picks with less upside potential with less risk. Arthur's ? with the kidney and Walkers injuries ? make them the riskier picks not the safer picks but those guys were considered the better prospects with higher potential.

The spurs added a backup pg from this draft. You said it yourself that they had bigger needs for the first round pick then get the backup pg in the 2nd round.

A.H 21-50
06-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Hairston is a nice pick at No. 48. He's solid at just about everything, he could make the team as a spot-up shooter and defender.

Chad Ford analyse

and the analyse of the predraft camp
http://www.nbadraft.net/2008_nbapredraftcamp_evaluations.html

In his first game he looked passive and uncomfortable, trying to get into a rhythm and feel out his teammates. By the time the second game rolled around he figured things out and proceeded to have a nice showing for the remainder of the week. His outside shoot is still a work in progress, but anything inside of the three looks good for him. His mid-range game is very effective as is his ability to get to the basket, all thanks to his strength. He does not shy away from contact, in fact he goes right at it looking to draw the foul as well as finish the play. In his last game he put together a good performance, showing all the different ways that he can score. With Lason going down with an injury, Hairston was asked to bring the ball up and play some point guard, and he did an admirable job although he;s obviously not going to be confused with a point. At 6-5, a tough, athletic player, who has some nice skill and is definitely someone that has the resume to get drafted and potentially do some things in the near future.

timvp
06-27-2008, 12:48 PM
No, the spurs made the safer picks. The picks with less upside potential with less risk. Arthur's ? with the liver and Walkers injuries ? make them the riskier picks not the safer picks but those guys were considered the better prospects with higher potential.

The spurs added a backup pg from this draft. You said it yourself that they had bigger needs for the first round pick then get the backup pg in the 2nd round.How is Hill a safer pick than Chalmers? Even if the Spurs picked Chalmers and he failed, there'd be no one to blame but Chalmers.

But if Hill fails, this would top the Splitter blunder.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Spurs reached perhaps 10-20 spots for Hill, putting some pressure on him to succeed. They should have gotten Arthur and gotten more value out of the pick by trading it.

leemajors
06-27-2008, 04:16 PM
clandestino covered in peanutbutter >>> a slovenian point guard owned by tau ceramica

this is a hilarious, yet disturbing image.

tav1
06-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Hill was a major roll of the dice. They could have picked Chalmers or Arthur and everyone would be happy and they'd be getting praised all over the place. Instead they go with a player out of IUUIPIPUIU who could make them look bad if he doesn't pan out.

I'll concede the point. I've read a bit about Hairston today and watched his Blazers video. Truth is, it's probably a wash between him and Hendrix and Walker. I'll shut up about this until sometime after training camp. Besides, Pop and RC seem confident that Hairston has a legit shot making the team--that's something in itself.

Sway
06-27-2008, 06:56 PM
Hairston looked very good at the predraft camp. some mocks expect him to move up the board, because of this nice showing. it will likley take the #45 pick to get him.
overall he looks like a player, who could fit quite well. talented, great ball handler, good shooter, quite strong, good rebounder, good passer, smart.
flaws: average athleticism and a decent defender at best.
word is he has worked hard in the last weeks, so he no longer carries this extra pounds. has some steal potential in the 2nd round. if the Spurs didn't pick a wing with the higher pick, he could be the best option at #45.
(he still is only 21, so there might be more upside left, than the usual college senior displays)

This scouting report sounding wrong so I did some research since I didnt know much about this guy. Hairston may have his faults, but his athleticism and defense are not a problem. The guy has a 38" inch vertical and he plays pretty good defense.

rascal
06-27-2008, 10:21 PM
How is Hill a safer pick than Chalmers? Even if the Spurs picked Chalmers and he failed, there'd be no one to blame but Chalmers.

But if Hill fails, this would top the Splitter blunder. Arthur was the pick with the most potential in the first round but it came with some risk.

intlspurshk
06-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Does the hiring of consultant (samson?) has anything to do with drafting all US players?

T Park
06-28-2008, 01:43 AM
:lol

Hairston faces Matt Bonner Jr in that highlight reel :lol

tav1
06-28-2008, 03:10 PM
This makes me sound very fickle 72 hrs later, but I'm really warming to Hairston. Last night a knowledgable friend pointed out that Hairston game improved steadily thoughout his career--noting that he free throw and 3pt percentage rose every year. He also became a more efficient scorer, and his pps would bear that out. Couple this with his good size for a shooting guard and his above-average athleticism, and I doubt we could have done much better at 45. Throw in the 2nd rounder, and it's a pretty sweet deal.

We're talking a bunch about Hill, but I think there is reason for grounded optimism with Hairston. He could be a servicable player down the line.

ChumpDumper
06-28-2008, 03:14 PM
He's athletic. That's all I need from a second rounder.

polandprzem
06-28-2008, 03:16 PM

Why?
What that gives to the team?
He won't even be a good practice player then. (without some bball IQ)

T Park
06-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Not one athletic player in the second round but TWO!

How about that!

Chump your gonna have a fun year watching the Toros with Gist and Hairston.

T Park
06-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Why?
What that gives to the team?
He won't even be a good practice player then. (without some bball IQ)

Just

stop.

While your ahead, just stop.

Spurtacus
06-28-2008, 03:19 PM

I hope you don't subscribe to the high flying athletic dunker = NBA star philosophy.

tav1
06-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Not one athletic player in the second round but TWO!

How about that!

Chump your gonna have a fun year watching the Toros with Gist and Hairston.

I'm not sure why everyone is so confident Gist will make the team. I think the odds are extremely low. Best case scenario, they Marcus Williams him--cut him and sign him to Austin. They would be fine by me, but I don't see him with a proper roster spot with the Spurs.

T Park
06-28-2008, 03:24 PM
If he plays well in Summer league, he will make the team.

Gist is gonna suprise you folks. Hes the coveted long 3 we've been wanting.

polandprzem
06-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Just

stop.

While your ahead, just stop.

Good that I'm ahead. :rolleyes

ChumpDumper
06-28-2008, 03:29 PM
I hope you don't subscribe to the high flying athletic dunker = NBA star philosophy.I subscribe to the Spurs are old and slow philosophy.

I said I would be fine with picking a guy like Cathales who had some size and skill to make up for his lack of athleticism, but getting an athlete and a pick and cash is too good to pass up.

Bruno
06-28-2008, 03:31 PM
All 3 players drafted by Spurs have a no step vert higher than 30".
Being athletic should have been a priority for Spurs..

Mr. Body
06-28-2008, 08:08 PM
He has all-around skills, a coachable attitude, plus is both very strong for his position and has good athleticism. He's not surefire, but this is definitely a nice pick. That strength is a key.

An undervalued quality for all three picks is significant rebounding ability.

Sway
06-28-2008, 08:44 PM
After some research, Im starting to warm up to Hairston. I think he is going to surprise many Spurs fans. Hairston and Hill could very well make the team this year. Gist, while a good prospect, I think will need a year or two in the DL.

intlspurshk
06-28-2008, 10:19 PM
I still think DG will be a good PG for NBA in 2-3 years. By that time, dollar may recover against Euro. This trade yields very short term benefit for SPURS but could be a big gain for Suns. Of course I assumed MH can't make the team and next year 2nd round suck and DG will finally join NBA.

A.H 21-50
06-28-2008, 10:24 PM
I still think DG will be a good PG for NBA in 2-3 years. By that time, dollar may recover against Euro. This trade yields very short term benefit for SPURS but could be a big gain for Suns. Of course I assumed MH can't make the team and next year 2nd round suck and DG will finally join NBA.

maybe you're right maybe not
we'll see if dragic comes to the nba and if he's a very good player too wich i doubt a little

From Dx
In the second round, the Spurs took Phoenix to the cleaners simply for the price of moving up three spots in the draft. They landed the better player in the deal (Malik Hairston), picked up a future second round pick, and even managed to swindle some cash out of the Suns in the process. A very nice transaction all in all. Hairston has a great chance to make this team and may develop into a contributor down the road if he can improve his perimeter defense skills

Blackjack
07-03-2008, 01:03 AM
#1 Malik Hairston
Position: Guard
Height: 6-6
Weight: 200
Year: Freshman
High School/Other College: Renaissance HS

09/21/2004 - GoDucks.com Print Email E-News RSS

Graduated: Malik completed his requirements to earn his bachelor’s degree in political science in the summer of 2007. All five Oregon seniors will graduate by the end of the 2007-08 season.

Career Notes: Became just the 10th Duck to reach 1,000 points as a junior, joining Ron Lee, Luke Jackson, Anthony Taylor, Greg Ballard, Orlando Williams, Blair Rasmussen, Kenya Wilkins, Luke Ridnour and Terrell Brandon. Enters his senior season ranked 20th with 1,139 points.

2006-07: Battled through myriad injuries to appear in 27 games, starting 25. Missed the first five games of the season recovering from a groin pull, then missed five more games in December and January due to an unusual soft tissue tear in his left heel. Despite not being 100 percent healthy for any part of the season, averaged 11.3 points per game (fourth on the team) and was Oregon’s second-leading rebounder at 6.0 per game. Also shot .523 from the field to lead the team. Led team in rebounding seven times. First game of the season was Oregon’s upset win at Georgetown where he came off the bench to score eight points with six rebounds. Started to look like the player he was at the end of his sophomore season with 20 points versus Eastern Washington and 21 points and a career-best 12 rebounds against Idaho State. Suffered heel injury in practice after that game. Returned to play a major role in UO’s first-ever sweep in Arizona. Scored 13 points with eight rebounds at Arizona State and then had 18 points and another eight rebounds in upset of No. 10 Arizona in Tucson. Had 19 points in home win against California. Grabbed 10 rebounds to go with nine points in Pac-10 tournament quarterfinal win over Arizona. Scored season-high 22 points in Pac-10 semifinals versus California. In the NCAA Tournament: Scored 13 points and grabbed six boards in the second round win versus Winthrop. Second double-double of the season came in Sweet 16 win versus Nevada-Las Vegas with 14 points and 11 rebounds. The 11 rebounds was an Oregon record for an NCAA Tournament game. Strong finish to the year with 18 points in the NCAA Midwest Regional Final versus Florida. Named to the NCAA All-Midwest Regional Team. One of the most well-rounded players in the nation. Willing to do whatever it takes to win, be it scoring, rebounding, defending or setting up his teammates.

2005-06: Oregon’s leading scorer at 15.0 points per game was an all-Pac-10 honorable mention selection. NABC District 14 second team pick. Named the team’s MVP. Played and started in 32 games. Oregon’s No. 2 rebounder at 4.7 per game. Was eighth in the Pac-10 in scoring and 20th in rebounding. Also the Ducks’ top 3-point shooter, hitting 37.9 percent (10th in the league). Oregon’s leading scorer 11 times and top rebounder six times. Reached double figures 27 times, hitting 20 points in nine games. In Pac-10 play, was impressive, especially in the second half of games, where he accounted for 64 percent of his scoring (160-of-250 points). Terrific performance in the Pac-10 tournament with three consecutive 20-point games. That season-ending run included 21 points versus Washington State and 20 against both Washington and California. Scored in double-figures in the first 11 games of the season. Broke out with a career-high 25 points Nov. 30 at Vanderbilt and grabbed 10 rebounds for his third career double-double. Notched second 20-point game of the season with 22 Dec. 20 versus Howard. Also scored an impressive 21 points Jan. 7 at Stanford and followed that with 23 points against Arizona. Nailed a pair of three-pointers in the final :12 to give the Ducks a 52-50 come-from-behind win Jan. 19 at WSU. Was the Ducks’ leading scorer with 22 Feb. 11 at Arizona State. On Feb. 23, scored 16 of his 18 points in the second half in a win at USC. Member of the Hispanic College Fund Classic all-tournament team. Missed the Dec. 27 Portland State game with a sprained big toe.

2004-05: Named to the Pac-10’s all-freshman team. One of two freshmen to start all 27 games for Oregon. Second on the squad in scoring at 13.1 points per game (15th in the Pac-10), rebounding at 5.0 rpg (19th in the league) and assists at nearly 2.0 per game. Great season shooting from the floor (50.9 percent, 145-of-285). Led team in scoring seven times, in rebounding seven times and three times in assists. Paced team with 15 points in season-opening win over Idaho State. Had nine points and eight assists in Pape’ Jam win against Vanderbilt. Bright spot with 14 points, nine rebounds and five assists in loss to No. 1 Illinois. Registered 20 points and six rebounds against Portland. Scored 19 points with seven rebounds at Stanford. Netted 20 points at Oregon State. Scored season-high 21 points at Arizona. First career double-double came at Arizona State (18 points, 11 rebounds). Also notched a double-double in home near-upset of Stanford (12 points, season-high 12 rebounds). Had 19 points in overtime win at USC.

Before Oregon: The highest profile Oregon signee since Greg Ballard and Ron Lee in the 1970s. A top 10 recruit by virtually all recruiting services. A Parade and McDonald’s All-American. Ranked seventh overall by Rivals and No. 10 by The Insiders. Rivals also ranked him as the nation’s top shooting guard, while The Insiders put him as the fourth-best small forward. Averaged 20 points, 11 rebounds and six assists per game as a senior at Renaissance High School. Led his team to a 27-0 record, the Class B state title and a No. 3 national ranking by USA Today. In the state championship game, scored 17 points with four rebounds and five blocks as Renaissance defeated DeWitt 61-42. First team all-state, all-metro and all-city by both the Detroit News and the Detroit Free Press. Finished third in Michigan’s Hal Graham Mr. Basketball voting. Played in the 2004 McDonald’s All-America game -- where he scored 11 points with three rebounds and three assists -- the Jordan Capital Classic and on the USA Hoop Summit Team that defeated the World Team 99-79. Averaged 22 points, 12 rebounds, six assists and three steals as a junior as Renaissance won the first of two straight city championships. For his career, averaged 18.7 points, 12.4 rebounds, 6.0 assists and 2.7 steals per game. Was also named all-academic at Renaissance.

Personal: Born Malik Samory Hairston February 23, 1987, in Detroit, Mich. Parents are Richard and Elizabeth Hairston. Has two older brothers and one sister. Father played basketball at Morris Brown College in Atlanta. Have to like what he lists as his career goal: “to win a national championship.” High School (Coach): Renaissance (Mark White). Major is political science (graduated summer 2007).

Blackjack
07-03-2008, 01:04 AM
Has anyone heard from him since he's been drafted???

bigdog
07-03-2008, 01:23 AM
I have faith in this guy.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him make the team and make some type of contribution right away.

spurman20
07-03-2008, 01:30 AM
Is Udoka a quite accurate NBA comparison for Hairston ?

No Hairston is a more complete player....at Org he played some at 4 spots and is a more refined offensive player than Udoka but no where near the defender he is....He has a chance to develop into a 9-14ppg player in the right system....most likely at the 2 spot. He compaires to a poor mans Bonzi Wells

spurman20
07-03-2008, 01:34 AM
How is Hill a safer pick than Chalmers? Even if the Spurs picked Chalmers and he failed, there'd be no one to blame but Chalmers.

But if Hill fails, this would top the Splitter blunder.

If Hill stays healthy he will be a very good player for several reasons....first he is less turn over prone than Chalmers.....and is a bit bigger. He is also more of a scorer and better at getting into the lane....while Chalmers is the better shoote, not by much. Hill will play mostley 1 but some 2 as well and will keep teams from keying on Manu when he is out with the second unit.

objective
07-03-2008, 01:40 AM
first he is less turn over prone than Chalmers

I don't know, Chalmers' assist-to-turnover ratio was better than Hill's by a good margin.

spurman20
07-03-2008, 01:51 AM
I don't know, Chalmers' assist-to-turnover ratio was better than Hill's by a good margin.

Thats true but Chalmers also did not handle the ball much in a half court set like hill had to and Chalmers had 5-7 pros on his team to take off the pressure while teams keyed on Hill. I have seen hill play a couple times including the game he destroyed UMASS F Gary Forbes who is a very good defender.

spurman20
07-03-2008, 01:53 AM

Dond get me wrong I dont ever think he will be a great point man but he reminds me of a mix between C DUhon and J Farmar

Blackjack
07-03-2008, 01:54 AM
So I take it nobody's heard from him since the draft?

I mean, is it asking too much for the Spurs to throw the fans a bone with a press-conference to introduce their new players?

spurman20
07-03-2008, 01:58 AM
So I take it nobody's heard from him since the draft?

I mean, is it asking too much for the Spurs to throw the fans a bone with a press-conference to introduce their new players?

All I have heard is he will be in summer league....and that he has a legit shoot at a roster spot next year but I dont think he gets much burn....he is a project who will stay on IR alot

BOHOLANO#21
07-03-2008, 09:39 AM
no article on this guy post draft night?:depressed

tp2021
07-03-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm more stoked about Gist than Hairston. I hope ths Spurs prove again that they draft well.

Fizzzar
07-03-2008, 05:05 PM
With Baron Davis going to LA this trade looks better and better :hat

Taking it to the Hole
07-03-2008, 05:30 PM
I have faith in RC and Pop. They obviously see the need for more athleticism by targeting Maggette and they picked up an athletic combo guard in George Hill. I think Hairston and Gist may not make the team this year, but if they play well this summer, they may have a legitimate chance at making the team. You have to know, they wouldn't have drafted these players if they didn't see something appealing in them.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Seems like a good candidate who has potential to develop into a quality role player. The knock on him is that he underachieved at Oregon after coming in as a top 10 HS player. He did receive his degree (in Poli Sci, no less, almost a year early). Seems like a good candidate to spend his first season between SA and Austin, working on his game. It all starts in Vegas in a week or so.

angelbelow
07-03-2008, 06:17 PM
my only concern is that he appears to be injury prone.

Darkwaters
07-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Seems like a good candidate who has potential to develop into a quality role player. The knock on him is that he underachieved at Oregon after coming in as a top 10 HS player. He did receive his degree (in Poli Sci, no less, almost a year early). Seems like a good candidate to spend his first season between SA and Austin, working on his game. It all starts in Vegas in a week or so.

If the Spurs land Maggette and another decent SG like Delfino in FA then I think I'm probably less high on Hairston taking that last wing roster spot. While both of those FA's would be great signings, neither of them are that long SF that has been so heralded. I think Gist would offer something unique through his size and length while Hairston would seem to be more of the same.

However, if Hairston comes out gunning with a purpose and Gist is lackluster then I have absolutely no problem keeping the Duck over the Terrapin. But if the team views them as generally equal (and, again, assuming Maggette/Delfino) I would have to take Gist.

bigdog
07-03-2008, 09:35 PM
I sure wish there would have been some news on Hairston after the draft.

Tully365
07-03-2008, 09:55 PM

So you chill.

So true (crap-shoot-wise). When we look back in 2 or 3 years we'll have a good set of players to gauge the talent evaluations of the Spurs. If Mario Chalmers turns out to be a better pro than Hill, then we'll be able to say the Spurs took a risk that didn't pay off, and the same with Hairston/CDR... although some of CDR's fall in the draft is his own fault because he refused to work out with certain teams (the Pistons are one I know of for sure) because he was sure he'd be taken before the late 20s picks...

Sway
07-03-2008, 10:19 PM
So true (crap-shoot-wise). When we look back in 2 or 3 years we'll have a good set of players to gauge the talent evaluations of the Spurs. If Mario Chalmers turns out to be a better pro than Hill, then we'll be able to say the Spurs took a risk that didn't pay off, and the same with Hairston/CDR... although some of CDR's fall in the draft is his own fault because he refused to work out with certain teams (the Pistons are one I know of for sure) because he was sure he'd be taken before the late 20s picks...

CDR thought he was going to be picked 15-25 so he did not work out for the teams picking 25-30. This was definitely a bad decision on his part and probably contributed to him dropping to the 40 spot.

Blackjack
07-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Your mission should you choose to accept.....

Malik Hairston did a radio interview with some guy named Justin Myers on the 2nd.

The interview can be found on ducksporstnews.com, and is entitled- Sporst Idol Rewind: Malik Hairston Talks NBA Draft, Spurs.
I'm still pretty new to these here "internets" and my p.o.s. dial-up won't allow me to play audio.:bang So if someone would be kind enough to give me a summary on what Hairston had to say, I'd be much obliged. :toast

Oh yeah... This message was supposed to self-destruct, but my dial-up is an epic failure when it comes to explosives. :bang :bang :bang

Sway
07-05-2008, 12:17 AM

Malik Hairston did a radio interview with some guy named Justin Myers on the 2nd.

The interview can be found on ducksporstnews.com, and is entitled- Sporst Idol Rewind: Malik Hairston Talks NBA Draft, Spurs.
I'm still pretty new to these here "internets" and my p.o.s. dial-up won't allow me to play audio.:bang So if someone would be kind enough to give me a summary on what Hairston had to say, I'd be much obliged. :toast

Oh yeah... This message was supposed to self-destruct, but my dial-up is an epic failure when it comes to explosives. :bang :bang :bang

He are some of the highlights:

He said he worked out for the Spurs once, but was unable to come back for a second work out prior to the draft.

Thinks he is in a great situation.

Plans on coming to SA in about a week in preparation for SL.

The Spurs envision him playing the 2.

Pop sees him being a utility/versatile player.

Talked about losing 14 lbs in preparation for the draft.

He thinks he will be a better pro than he was as a college player.

He thinks he is NBA ready since he was a 4 year college guy.

Said the pre-draft work outs werent too tough because he was prepared.

Thats about all I can remember. Hope this helps.

timvp
07-05-2008, 12:17 AM
The interview can be found on ducksporstnews.com, and is entitled- Sporst Idol Rewind: Malik Hairston Talks NBA Draft, Spurs.[/B]Awesome find :tu

Here is the link to the story:

http://www.ducksportsnews.com/blog/2008/07/sports-idol-rewind-malik-hairston-talks-nba-draft-spurs/

Hairston didn't say anything that isn't common knowledge in the interview but he came across as very confident. He said that he thinks he can be a better pro player than he was a college player. He said Pop told him his role will be to play wherever he is needed -- at the two or the three. He mentioned he'll be playing in summer league and reiterated that he still has a long ways to go to even make the Spurs.

He comes across as a determined player. Being drafted near the end of the draft doesn't seem like it has shaken his confidence at all.

Good to hear something from him because there's been very little talked about him since the draft.

Blackjack
07-05-2008, 12:22 AM
Thanks Sway/timvp :toast

Yeah, I've been wondering when the hell we'd hear anything from Hairston.

Good old google. Even my computer-illiterate ass can use it. :lol

SPURSGOAT
07-05-2008, 12:37 AM

Get off of dial-up... get DSL or Cable... you will be so much happier... lol!

Dial-up is so 1999... :lol

TDMVPDPOY
07-05-2008, 12:39 AM
whether your drafted or undrafted, what you need is the moment of opportunity to showcase what you can do.....being drafted late in the 2nd round gives you a better chance of getting invited than a undrafted player....

Blackjack
07-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Get off of dial-up... get DSL or Cable... you will be so much happier... lol!

Dial-up is so 1999... :lol

Well, I guess you can call me old-school.

Besides, 1999 was a damn good year for me. :lol :lobt2: