PDA

View Full Version : The Official Tiago Splitter Trade Value Thread

tav1
06-02-2008, 11:17 AM
So, does he have any trade value? If so, what is it? And should the Spurs consider trading him for a draft pick(s)? If he does have decent value, could he be packaged with the contract of Matt Bonner?

CosmicCowboy
06-02-2008, 11:40 AM
So, does he have any trade value? If so, what is it? And should the Spurs consider trading him for a draft pick(s)? If he does have decent value, could he be packaged with the contract of Matt Bonner?

A pair of dirty NBA socks and maybe a stale bag of chips if they are lucky.

Twisted_Dawg
06-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Interesting question.

Maybe Dennis "Dumbass" Lindsey could answer that for you.

Ocotillo
06-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Call up Presti in Seattle and ask him.

Darkwaters
06-02-2008, 01:11 PM
No, I'd hold onto him. Even if we have to wait 2 years to get him he'd still be a great value and nice piece to have.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Trading Splitter will go down as a bigger mistake than trading Scola. Hold onto him.

Bartleby
06-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Unless he gets injured or declares he will never come to the NBA, his trade value probably couldn't be any lower than it is right now. I'd wait.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 01:28 PM
I agree. Tiago is definitly going to be better than Scola. I don't know if he is smarter than Scola though. Perhaps we will have a good look at tiago in the olympics this year. Is Brazil in the games?

Nope. The teams are:
Angola
USA
Argentina
Iran
Russia
Lithuania
Australia
Spain
China

Bruno
06-02-2008, 01:31 PM
If Splitter stays in Spain, I'm against trading his rights because they have almost no value and I want a payback from Spurs.
Splitter has been a liar and has fucked Spurs, I want that Spurs let him rot in Europe for his whole career.

Bruno
06-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Splitter will play in July a qualifying tournament for the Olympic games. If Brazil win the qualification in this tournament, Splitter will go to Beijing.

tav1
06-02-2008, 01:46 PM
If Splitter stays in Spain, I'm against trading his rights because they have almost no value and I want a payback from Spurs.
Splitter has been a liar and has fucked Spurs, I want that Spurs let him rot in Europe for his whole career.

While I share your sentiment, Bruno, I'd rather move him now if we can. That is of course provided we can at least get a decent draft pick back or someone to take Matt Bonner's contract.

polandprzem
06-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Well Scola did not want to be a spurs as well

This is a fucked up business. If I were a pro my dream would be play with TD and for Pop and organization like spurs. :cuss Dayum

Like Boozer 'lied' to Cleveland like Splitter split the spurs

The bad thing is that there are no positives.
Why he decided to be in a draft when he does not want to play in NBA?

Either you look for chalange or you stay happy with what you got and not put up an extra work and get the money.

polandprzem
06-02-2008, 01:49 PM
While I share your sentiment, Bruno, I'd rather move him now if we can. That is of course provided we can at least get a decent draft pick back or someone to take Matt Bonner's contract.

Bonner + Splitter rights and our pick for higher pick? top 10? top15?

remingtonbo2001
06-02-2008, 01:51 PM

Maybe for Kevin Love.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 01:52 PM

That would get us, at the highest, #18.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Maybe for Kevin Love.

No way in hell. If we do move up, it's definitely not gonna be for Kevin Love.

Bruno
06-02-2008, 01:53 PM
That is of course provided we can at least get a decent draft pick back or someone to take Matt Bonner's contract.

I don't see how a team would give something for a player who in 2008 has chosen money over the NBA and will in all likelihood do the same thing in 2010.

I also don't get what people are that much interesting in Dumping Bonner's contract. Bonner's contract doesn't hurt at all Spurs. Giving up "something" to dump Bonner's contract makes few sense.

remingtonbo2001
06-02-2008, 01:55 PM

Unfortunately, Isiah Thomas is no longer employed. :pctoss

ChumpDumper
06-02-2008, 01:59 PM
The Nuggets keep coming up in my mind as a trade partner.

They are in tax hell right now might not want the tax hit of a number 20, especially if it looks like a big man will be the best choice at that point. They WILL need a big man in 2010 though. This could be worked out any number of ways, maybe with sign-and-trade players worked in from both sides.

Mulletino
06-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Buy out his contract!!!!
We'll have money from all the old free agents.

tav1
06-02-2008, 02:04 PM

Thoughts:

Phoenix is not going to keep their pick, and Splitter will be a FA again the same summer Shaq retires. Splitter rights plus money for the pick. #15.

Are the Raptors going to keep their pick at #17?

Denver will have to sell their pick or trade it because of their cap situation: Splitter rights and cash for #20.

Splitter rights to the Sonics at #24.

Splitter rights to the T-Wolves for picks #31 and #34. If I were either team, I'd do this trade.

If the Heat draft Beasely, they'll have to move Haslem. What about Splitter rights, Bonner and Finley for Haslem?

If the Bulls draft Beasely, they'll probably move Tyrus Thomas. Splitter rights, a draft pick and Bonner for Thomas?

Just some ideas.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Thoughts:

Phoenix is not going to keep their pick, and Splitter will be a FA again the same summer Shaq retires. Splitter rights plus money for the pick. #15.

Are the Raptors going to keep their pick at #17?

Denver will have to sell their pick or trade it because of their cap situation: Splitter rights and cash for #20.

Splitter rights to the Sonics at #24.

Splitter rights to the T-Wolves for picks #31 and #34. If I were either team, I'd do this trade.

If the Heat draft Beasely, they'll have to move Haslem. What about Splitter rights, Bonner and Finley for Haslem?

If the Bulls draft Beasely, they'll probably move Tyrus Thomas. Splitter rights, a draft pick and Bonner for Thomas?

Just some ideas.

Those are all reasonable ideas, but I think Splitter's value is being taken for granted here. He can still be a great center when his contract is up, and I don't think I'm ready to give up on him.

tav1
06-02-2008, 02:17 PM
I don't see how a team would give something for a player who in 2008 has chosen money over the NBA and will in all likelihood do the same thing in 2010.

I also don't get what people are that much interesting in Dumping Bonner's contract. Bonner's contract doesn't hurt at all Spurs. Giving up "something" to dump Bonner's contract makes few sense.

Bruno, those people are me. And it's because Bonner's a dud. He's eating roster space. They should have traded after that miracle game in Oakland last year.

By 2010, the NBA might have adjusted rookie scales for players coming out of international professional leagues. It's not that the Splitter/Spurs situation will demand it, but, instead the diminishing dollar.

ChumpDumper
06-02-2008, 02:18 PM
No reason to panic trade Bonner.

tav1
06-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Those are all reasonable ideas, but I think Splitter's value is being taken for granted here. He can still be a great center when his contract is up, and I don't think I'm ready to give up on him.

F Splitter. I want to trade him on principle.

Bruno
06-02-2008, 02:25 PM
By 2010, the NBA might have adjusted rookie scales for players coming out of international professional leagues. It's not that the Splitter/Spurs situation will demand it, but, instead the diminishing dollar.

I don't see how the NBA could change the CBA in 2010 while the current CBA runs until 2011.

dknights411
06-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Unfortunately, Isiah Thomas is no longer employed. :pctoss

But Steve Kerr is. ;)

tav1
06-02-2008, 02:27 PM
I don't see how the NBA could change the CBA in 2010 while the current CBA runs until 2011.

Bruno, I can't argue against that. You're right.

polandprzem
06-02-2008, 02:31 PM
:lol

Indazone
06-02-2008, 02:46 PM

This is exactly the rumor on the Rockets side that Morey is interested in trading draft picks for Splitter's rights.

timvp
06-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Splitter has less value than a late second round pick at this point. If he extends in Europe for two years, chances are he's never coming over. His rookie scale contract will stay the same while the contract he can get in Europe will just keep getting bigger. This year, Europe could offer him eight times as much money. In two years, they will probably be able to offer him 12-15 times as much money.

If he fell to the end of the first round when he was promising he had only one more year left in Europe, his value is pretty much zero if he signs a two-year extension ... especially since he probably will just decide to remain in Europe forever.

remingtonbo2001
06-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Splitter has less value than a late second round pick at this point. If he extends in Europe for two years, chances are he's never coming over. His rookie scale contract will stay the same while the contract he can get in Europe will just keep getting bigger. This year, Europe could offer him eight times as much money. In two years, they will probably be able to offer him 12-15 times as much money.

If he fell to the end of the first round when he was promising he had only one more year left in Europe, his value is pretty much zero if he signs a two-year extension ... especially since he probably will just decide to remain in Europe forever.

So, in your words, it would be best to forget about Tiago and just move on.

ChumpDumper
06-02-2008, 02:50 PM
If he's never going to leave, why didn't he sign a longer extension?

urunobili
06-02-2008, 03:00 PM

i think TAU wanted him to follow Scola's example and arrive tot he NBA on his prime... in two year he should only be better and he'd have made enough money for him to take whatever they give him to pay the bills for a year or two

ChumpDumper
06-02-2008, 03:01 PM
If Tau had their way he would have signed a ten-year extension.

K-State Spur
06-02-2008, 03:11 PM

because he can use the threat of the NBA to get an even BIGGER deal as he enters his prime years.

timvp
06-02-2008, 03:13 PM
If he's never going to leave, why didn't he sign a longer extension?Flexibility. Europe contracts are getting bigger year after year. What may be a lot now probably won't be that much in two years. Plus, Splitter knows his biggest bargaining chip is the NBA. As long as he keeps the Spurs an option, he can keep getting big money from Tau.

Besides, with contracts not being guaranteed in Europe, long term contracts actually favor the team. Short term contracts are preferred over there. There really is no benefit to a long term contract because the team can waive you if you suck or get hurt.

angel_luv
06-02-2008, 03:14 PM
So, in your words, it would be best to forget about Tiago and just move on.

He isn't the one. :)

ChumpDumper
06-02-2008, 03:15 PM
The nonguarantee part makes sense, but I actually think Euro salaries could plateau at some point since the run-up is being driven mainly by one team.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Trade rights to splitter, with udoka, bonner, and barry to ________ for top 10 draft pick

Reggie Miller
06-02-2008, 03:21 PM
If I were Splitter, the fact that U.S. currency has devalued considerably since the 2007 Draft might have played a role. No one wants to be paid in Monopoly money...

boutons_
06-02-2008, 03:25 PM
"U.S. currency has devalued considerably since the 2007 Draft"

duh, with US inflation now at 10%+ by honest (ie, non-Repug) economists, Tiago shouldn't expect the Euro and US$ to come equal valuation for a long time, certainly not within 2 years.

All US imports will be inflatedly expensive for the forseeable future.

Reggie Miller
06-02-2008, 03:29 PM
"U.S. currency has devalued considerably since the 2007 Draft"

duh, with US inflation now at 10%+ by honest (ie, non-Repug) economists, Tiago shouldn't expect the Euro and US$ to come equal valuation for a long time, certainly not within 2 years.

All US imports will be inflatedly expensive for the forseeable future.

Exactly, which is why he is not coming to the NBA...

Indazone
06-02-2008, 03:34 PM
I think our front office have a lovefest for each other. Rockets/Spurs. It sorta makes sense for the Rockets to give up draft picks for Splitter's rights. Rockets do not see any reason in the forseeable future to make any use of draft picks. A mid 17-18 first rounder will not make any difference to the Rockets. The roster is basically set. They won't be making any major changes with rookies. The only thing the Rockets want to do is get bigger at the 3 spot and they want a good backup for T-Mac at shooting guard. Getting another PG is a luxury but not a necessity.

Bruno
06-02-2008, 03:41 PM
If there isn't big changes between currencies value, coming in NBA will be even less interesting for Splitter in 2010 than in 2008.
He should get bigger contracts from European teams and the main attraction of the NBA is the second contract. If he comes in 2010, he will be older when he will sign his second contract than if he comes in 2008 and will get a smaller second contract.

The only factor that could push to come in NBA is that he will have more money in the bank with the two years big contract he get from Tau and could be more ready to come in NBA.

Anyway, I want Pop to go in Spain or to phone to Splitter and say :
"The deal was the NBA in 2008. It wasn't the NBA when it arranges you. Sign an extension with Tau and you will never play in NBA. To keep your NBA rights, we will offer you each year 80% of the rookie scale and if you sign this offer one year, I promise you you will rot on the bench for 4 years with this small salary."

ChumpDumper
06-02-2008, 03:41 PM
A mid 17-18 first rounder will not make any difference to the Rockets.More evidence you are simply talking out of your ass.

Indazone
06-02-2008, 03:52 PM
More evidence you are simply talking out of your ass.
At least I'm not blowing it out of mine like you are :lol

Joe Schmoogins
06-02-2008, 04:01 PM
I say keep Splitter... there is still a chance that the plan is to buy him out next year after one year in Spain.

objective
06-02-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm all for keeping Splitter in Europe forever out of spite as much as the next guy, but if he re-ups and his rights are worth anything substantive (like packaged with 26 and moving up in the draft enough to get Batum or Joe Alexander et al) then his rights have to moved.

The window for winning is Tim Duncan's career window. If moving Splitter can in any way help the Spurs in the next 2-3 years win a title then move his germanic-brazillian ass.

picnroll
06-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Anyway, I want Pop to go in Spain or to phone to Splitter and say :
"The deal was the NBA in 2008. It wasn't the NBA when it arranges you. Sign an extension with Tau and you will never play in NBA. To keep your NBA rights, we will offer you each year 80% of the rookie scale and if you sign this offer one year, I promise you you will rot on the bench for 4 years with this small salary."

I agree, but I wouldn't even offer the rot on the bench. I'd say "we'll play you in D -league. You're NBA contract bargaining chip we'll make sure has ZERO value in negotiating Euro contracts. You lied and we won't reward you for it."

picnroll
06-02-2008, 04:23 PM
At least I'm not blowing it out of mine like you are :lol

So who gets injured next year, Yao, TMac or both?

kaji157
06-02-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm all for keeping Splitter in Europe forever out of spite as much as the next guy, but if he re-ups and his rights are worth anything substantive (like packaged with 26 and moving up in the draft enough to get Batum or Joe Alexander et al) then his rights have to moved.

The window for winning is Tim Duncan's career window. If moving Splitter can in any way help the Spurs in the next 2-3 years win a title then move his germanic-brazillian ass.

Completely true, i donīt want Splitter in two years, TD has probably a max of 4 years in him, so 2 years, plus one while he adapts, no sense for the Spurs to wait so long for one year shot, better trade him for whoever offers us picks, if we can package our second rounders to get a first rounder great, if we need to use our first and some cheap contract (booner, vaughn) to get a better pick 15-20 do it.

Iīve already told in other posts that Morey wants him, so we can look for ways to get the Rockets 17 pick, i think we have to offer our 2 second rounders and not our first rounder, offer it if necessary but it cannot be our first offer.

Now if the Rockets land Splitter i will have serious doubts about the capacity of our front office.

Indazone
06-02-2008, 04:36 PM
If the Rockets pick this year it's going to be one of these guys. Which I would assume would be the same players available to the Spurs. Rockets would likely pickup 7'2" Roy Hibbert if there is no trade for Splitters rights.

Hibbert
Hickson
CDR
Hendrix
Ibaka
Ellington

bigdog
06-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Fuck Splitter. Let's trade him.

He had his chance, just like Javtokas did. He's young, and he wants money. Well looks like he's getting his money.

I'd say we trade him to a team that is top 10-15 in the draft, tell them they can buyout Splitter's contract next year, and we can throw in a player and possibly a pick for either the draft pick, or a player and the draft pick.

temujin
06-02-2008, 04:40 PM
There are people here who don't realize who is in the driving seat in the Splitter-Tau-Spurs triangle.

Spurs need to convince NOT threaten Splitter.

If they act like in the Scola affair, they are pretty much done for some time.

picnroll
06-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Som dickweed Rockets' fan fantasizing about the Spurs making another stupid trade to the Rockets? What is that about?

Tully365
06-02-2008, 04:58 PM
There are people here who don't realize who is in the driving seat in the Splitter-Tau-Spurs triangle.

I agree. The guy decided to stay in europe for another year or two and quadruple his earnings-- it's hard to hate him for that. But I imagine the way to get him over is to sign him to his rookie scale contract with the promise of picking up the option and adding a year with a big pay raise.... who knows, maybe him staying in Spain is a blessing in disguise-- if the Spurs draft for the present instead of the future, it's possible a young rookie could develop along with Mahinmi, and adding Splitter to that in 2010 could actually be the best possible scenario. This also leaves the Spurs with more cap space in 2010 to pursue Chris Bosh, who could be to Duncan what Duncan was to Robinson. Bosh is an unrestricted FA in 2010 and a Texas native....
This year: try to get Gomes, Pietrus, or Azubuike...
Interesting possibility: If Spurs sign Pietrus, and draft Batum, they'd have 4 French-speakers on the team, giving the Spur-haters more nonsense to complain about!

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 05:01 PM
splitter skrewed us over! trade his rights! shame on him

kaji157
06-02-2008, 05:01 PM

In the Scola situation it was clear what happened, Spurs never offered any contract to him, he never declined any offer, he just "asked" for a Oberto type contract and Spurs gave that to Booner, Houston just went to offer what we gave Booner and Oberto and get him.

Plain simple.

Bruno
06-02-2008, 05:17 PM
A little analogy:

Your girlfriend say you "Marry me! Marry me! My dream is to be your wife. I won't let you down."
You answer "Yes, I love you too. Let's go married."
So you work on the wedding and spend a lot of money for the food, place, music...
Two days before the wedding, she continues to say that being your wife is her dream...
One day before the wedding, you learn in a tabloid that she is now with Brad Pitt and won't marry with you. She hasn't even told you that the wedding was canceled.

So, what will be your reaction ?
A) You're fucking pissed.
B) You forgive her. How can you blame her, Brad Pitt is way cuter than you.

Indazone
06-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Som dickweed Rockets' fan fantasizing about the Spurs making another stupid trade to the Rockets? What is that about?

Well History is on our side.

Mr. Body
06-02-2008, 05:21 PM
A little analogy:

Your girlfriend say you "Marry me! Marry me! My dream is to be your wife. I won't let you down."
So you work on the wedding and spend a lot of money for the food, place, music...
Two days before the wedding, she continues to say that being your wife is her dream...
One day before the wedding, you learn in a tabloid that she is now with Brad Pitt and won't marry with you. She hasn't even told you that the wedding was canceled.

You guys can get married in two years. (Not really.)

tav1
06-02-2008, 05:21 PM

Alright, I buy that. So why would we hang on to him? Shouldn't we try to trade his rights?

Man of Steel
06-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Although there is a two year deal for Splitter that Tau offered (don't know if he "officially accepted" or not), my understanding is that he can opt out of the second year.

wildbill2u
06-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Will somebody come up with a reasonable explanation of why:

1. Splitter won't be as valuable to a Euro team in two years as now? Why would his salary go down instead of up if he develops more as a center?

2. He would be willing to take less money in two yeas than he can get in Europe and sign for the rookie salary cap maximum that he and the Spurs are tied to?

Unless the NBA pulls its head out of its ass and realizes it is in a bidding war with Euro teams that aren't bound by salary caps, you're not going to see players like Splitter over here.

Indazone
06-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Yes I agree, it's time for the NBA to change how they view the European Pros. They have to look at them more like the ABA/NBA days.

exstatic
06-02-2008, 08:19 PM
F Splitter. He is now irrelevant. I don't care what happens to him as long as he never dons the Black and Silver.

BOHOLANO#21
06-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Well History is on our side.
what history are you talking about? T-mac teams won't make out of the 1st round?:lol

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 08:35 PM
F Splitter. He is now irrelevant. I don't care what happens to him as long as he never dons the Black and Silver.

+1 thank u Splitter sckrewed us over and he now has no right to come back here after getting that huge paycheck

mystargtr34
06-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Why trade a splitter.... his value is 0.

You want to give him up for peanuts now... improve our draft position by 1 spot.... and give up a guy who could be a quality starting Center in the league.

ANd besides, he has a reduced buyout of 500k after the first year... its not all doom and gloom.

spurs2112
06-02-2008, 08:55 PM
First, I heard (or read) that he is considering staying that he hasn't officially signed anything yet. Maybe he wants to see what the Spurs are really going to offer him or he wants them to lick his bean bag a little just to see how interested they really are in him. I read on another blog that one of the reason he's thinking of staying is he didn't like the idea of being behind Duncan, which is dumb because who wouldn't want to play next to the best PF on the planet.

exstatic
06-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Why trade a splitter.... his value is 0.

You want to give him up for peanuts now... improve our draft position by 1 spot.... and give up a guy who could be a quality starting Center in the league.

ANd besides, he has a reduced buyout of 500k after the first year... its not all doom and gloom.

If he isn't coming this year, he isn't coming, not in one year, not in two. It's obviously about the money, and that will NEVER improve. The gap will only grow wider. You can write off Tiago Splitter.

mystargtr34
06-02-2008, 09:03 PM
If he isn't coming this year, he isn't coming, not in one year, not in two. It's obviously about the money, and that will NEVER improve. The gap will only grow wider. You can write off Tiago Splitter.

Things change... theres no garuantee the difference will get wider...

Staying in Tau one for one, maybe two years will allow him to get paid well, making him come to the NBA less of a financial risk... maybe he just wants that security of already being paid well before he comes over and swallows thw rookie scale. He ha sa buyout of just 500k after one season...

GSH
06-02-2008, 10:29 PM
A little analogy:

A boy has to to a school report on the difference between theory and reality. He's confused, so he asks his father for help. The dad says, "OK, son. Watch carefully."

He calls the mother of the family into the room, and asks her, "Would you sleep with the man next door for a million dollars?" She thinks for a bit, and finally says, "Yes. Because of all the things we could do for our family with that kind of money." The mom leaves the room.

The dad calls the boy's sister into the room, and asks if she would sleep with the man next door for a million dollars. Without even thinking about it, she says, "You bet I would." Then she leaves the room.

The dad turns to the son and says, "See the difference? In theory, we're both millionaires. In reality, we live with a couple of whores."

In theory, we still own rights to Splitter two years from now. In reality, we drafted a Euro-whore. If he continues to do well in the Euro league, he won't ever be willing to play for what we will be willing to give him. If he doesn't progress, he'll want to come here and get paid more than he is worth.

Tully365
06-02-2008, 10:52 PM
I think some of the anger directed towards Splitter might be unfair-- some of the blame has to go to the Spurs. Tiago was Luis Scola's teammate for a couple of years when Scola actually wanted to join the Spurs and they wouldn't bring him over. This situation created a big controversy in Spain and Scola and others asked why was he drafted if he wasn't going to be brought over... Scola's agent accused the Spurs of "holding Luis hostage" in the Spanish newspapers... Splitter is probably just trying to get the biggest payday possible, which is what most people would do if they were in his shoes. Remember, he's only 23. Maybe he wants one really good guaranteed contract before he tries to tackle the NBA. He might be a little scared too-- he played against Bargnani in Europe, who everyone thought would excel in the USA...

exstatic
06-02-2008, 11:07 PM
I think some of the anger directed towards Splitter might be unfair-- some of the blame has to go to the Spurs. Tiago was Luis Scola's teammate for a couple of years when Scola actually wanted to join the Spurs and they wouldn't bring him over. This situation created a big controversy in Spain and Scola and others asked why was he drafted if he wasn't going to be brought over... Scola's agent accused the Spurs of "holding Luis hostage" in the Spanish newspapers... Splitter is probably just trying to get the biggest payday possible, which is what most people would do if they were in his shoes. Remember, he's only 23. Maybe he wants one really good guaranteed contract before he tries to tackle the NBA. He might be a little scared too-- he played against Bargnani in Europe, who everyone thought would excel in the USA...

The only people responsible for Luis Scola being in Spain from 2002-2007 are Luis and his dumbass father who signed a 10 year contract, with HUGE multi-million dollar buyouts every year. When that seemingly endless contract finally DID end, the Spurs did nothing to stand in the way of Luis coming to the NBA, in fact facilitating it by trading him to a team that needed a PF. All that happened AFTER Tiago was drafted.

If Tiago did in fact promise to come this year (and by all accounts he did) and backed out, he may well never play here. Pop is a big honor guy and will not abide a liar in the clubhouse.

GSH
06-03-2008, 07:46 AM
The only people responsible for Luis Scola being in Spain from 2002-2007 are Luis and his dumbass father who signed a 10 year contract, with HUGE multi-million dollar buyouts every year. When that seemingly endless contract finally DID end, the Spurs did nothing to stand in the way of Luis coming to the NBA, in fact facilitating it by trading him to a team that needed a PF. All that happened AFTER Tiago was drafted.

If Tiago did in fact promise to come this year (and by all accounts he did) and backed out, he may well never play here. Pop is a big honor guy and will not abide a liar in the clubhouse.

I've seen two accounts of an interview with him, where he said that he was coming to the NBA in 2008. No sooner, but definitely no later.

Mr. Body
06-03-2008, 08:02 AM

The Spurs did apparently either repeatedly did not know what salary Scola was asking for or chose to publicly lie about it. When traded to the Rockets he immediately signed for the ~ $3m/year figure he'd been saying all along, much to some people's surprise. The Spurs aren't entirely blameless in this.

hsxvvd
06-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Fuck that. Hold his rights forever and let the bastard rot in Spain. Coward.