PDA

View Full Version : How can we get Elton Brand?

bigfish22
06-02-2008, 01:51 PM
I think this is our ticket back to glory. Let's get back to the days when the twin towers reigned supreme over all the land. Move Duncan to the 5 and put Brand at 4. This combination would go unmatched anywere in the NBA. Problem is, how can we make this happen with Brand being a FA this summer. We all know the Clippers are profit driven and uncommitted to winning. How can we take advantage of their philosphy?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 01:55 PM
We're not getting Brand.

Chief
06-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Sign and Trade for Tony, Udoka, Red Rocket. :)

tav1
06-02-2008, 02:10 PM
It would require Ginobli. I'd think about that.

Honestly, Ginobli, Bonner and Splitter rights for Brand. That's really not such a bad thought.

Hell, now you got me thinking.

dknights411
06-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Better chance EB goes to Dallas or Denver than the Spurs.

xtremesteven33
06-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Duncan will be unwilling to move to the 5 spot....

midgetonadonkey
06-02-2008, 03:13 PM

I don't get why people say that. He plays the 5 spot half of the time. Plus, he took millions of dollars less than he could have to win so why wouldn't he move over to the 5 for the same reason?

rAm
06-02-2008, 03:15 PM
I don't get why people say that. He plays the 5 spot half of the time. Plus, he took millions of dollars less than he could have to win so why wouldn't he move over to the 5 for the same reason?

Because then he can't square up the basket at the top of the key, think about shooting, and then pass it to a guard behind the 3 point line.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 03:15 PM
sorry but we wont get brand. please prove me wrong RC

v2freak
06-02-2008, 03:39 PM
I love Brand as a player, but would it solve the Spurs' problems? He seems to be a player that needs to dominate the offense, and he is a bit undersized at his position. Then again, players like Charles Barkley have dominated at the 4 position - just something to think about.

This is assuming Brand is within reach.

mytespurs
06-02-2008, 03:43 PM
How do we get Elton Brand? Pay him whatever he wants-:lol

Seriously, I doubt the Spurs can afford him. And, I actually like the LA Clippers so I wouldn't mind if he stayed here.

MoSpur
06-02-2008, 03:48 PM
You have to throw a lot of money his way. The Spurs won't. I would like him here, but doubt it would happen.

Mj23foreva
06-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Let's get back to the days when the twin towers reigned supreme over all the land.

If you are referring to Tim and David I think that taking a little too far. They won 1 championship in a 50 game season...I dont know if you can call that reign supreme.

In any case, Elton Brand will be tough to get for SA because of Salary Cap issues, if they were to do a sign and trade SA needs to give up at least one of its big three to make the clippers bite. Highly unlikely.

ATXSPUR
06-02-2008, 04:03 PM
If you are referring to Tim and David I think that taking a little too far. They won 1 championship in a 50 game season...I dont know if you can call that reign supreme.

In any case, Elton Brand will be tough to get for SA because of Salary Cap issues, if they were to do a sign and trade SA needs to give up at least one of its big three to make the clippers bite. Highly unlikely.

Bitter Knick fan!!! Do you remember 2003?

Thomas82
06-02-2008, 06:02 PM
I don't think he would be willing to take that big of a paycut to come here.

Mr. Body
06-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Brand gets selective brain damage that impairs only his critical faculties involving money. He opts out of his contract and signs with the Spurs for the MLE for the fewest years possible, then signs a max deal once those are up.

Ginobili, Parker, Duncan, and a healthy Elton Brand totally destroy the NBA next season.

Book it.

R.C. Buford, I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU to make it happen.

Findog
06-02-2008, 06:08 PM
How can we get Elton Brand?

You can't. Not unless you're willing to part with a package centering around Parker or Manu.

Thomas82
06-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Brand gets selective brain damage that impairs only his critical faculties involving money. He opts out of his contract and signs with the Spurs for the MLE for the fewest years possible, then signs a max deal once those are up.

Ginobili, Parker, Duncan, and a healthy Elton Brand totally destroy the NBA next season.

Book it.

R.C. Buford, I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU to make it happen.

I would love for that to happen. Along with Elton Brand, Andres Nocioni and Mike Miller are the other 2 on my wish list. I would be happy if we could get al least one of these 3.

Thomas82
06-02-2008, 06:10 PM
You can't. Not unless you're willing to part with a package centering around Parker or Manu.

Don't forget that he can opt out of his contract this summer and become a UFA.

Mr. Body
06-02-2008, 06:10 PM
I would love for that to happen. Along with Elton Brand, Andres Nocioni and Mike Miller are the other 2 on my wish list. I would be happy if we could get al least one of these 3.

I have bad news for you.

Thomas82
06-02-2008, 06:17 PM
I have bad news for you.

What do you mean you have bad news for me?

Bob Lanier
06-02-2008, 06:31 PM
He recently had an STI test.

Thomas82
06-02-2008, 06:33 PM
He recently had an STI test.

Who had an STI test, and what is that?

NewJerSpur
06-02-2008, 06:36 PM
We WILL acquire Elton Brand....years from now when he's on his last leg (literally) and searching for a ring. Right now he's still trying to get max money.

I'm just hoping we stay away from J.R. Smith, which I believe we will.

GrandeDavid
06-02-2008, 06:54 PM

He's been playing the five for many minutes in most games his entire career post David Robinson.

Russ
06-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Brand is involved in the movie business (a producer I believe) so it is highly unlikely he leaves LA. About the best we can hope for is to keep him away from the Lakers (a very real possibility I'm afraid).:(

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Brand is involved in the movie business (a producer I believe) so it is highly unlikely he leaves LA. About the best we can hope for is to keep him away from the Lakers (a very real possibility I'm afraid).:(

the lakers have too many cap issues

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-02-2008, 07:23 PM
I love Brand as a player, but would it solve the Spurs' problems? He seems to be a player that needs to dominate the offense, and he is a bit undersized at his position. Then again, players like Charles Barkley have dominated at the 4 position - just something to think about.

This is assuming Brand is within reach.
Depends on your relative position.
He'd be undersized, but he'd be a massive upgrade to Oberto helping Timmy out. (depending on if they play well together, passing,etc.) Then he'd be our fourth scorer, if we were to get him without losing our big three.

He'd also give match up problems with weak backcourts; and good defensive teams on the perimter. He's no Barkley, who was strong as hell, so I'd still think we'd struggle with teams with lean mean, to athletic bigs since Brand is short and probably wouldn't outrebound the leapers. (New Orleans, LA 2009)

I don't know. It'd help us more than hurt us but I don't if we'd dominate off paper. The rest is up to coaching.

I don't know why, but I'd still want the essential long three spot/4th scorer. But that's just me. Timmy = production of two bigs, I guess.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-02-2008, 07:30 PM

Honestly, Ginobli, Bonner and Splitter rights for Brand. That's really not such a bad thought.

Any thoughts about trading any one of the big 3s is ludicrous. It isn't going to happen. Trust me.

EJK5032
06-02-2008, 07:33 PM
I doubt that LAC will match the offers on both Brand and Maggette......both would fit in well with the Spurs, both skill wise and they are real pros.....don't have egos.

Mr. Body
06-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Depends on your relative position.
He'd be undersized, but he'd be a massive upgrade to Oberto helping Timmy out. (depending on if they play well together, passing,etc.) Then he'd be our fourth scorer, if we were to get him without losing our big three.

He'd also give match up problems with weak backcourts; and good defensive teams on the perimter. He's no Barkley, who was strong as hell, so I'd still think we'd struggle with teams with lean mean, to athletic bigs since Brand is short and probably wouldn't outrebound the leapers. (New Orleans, LA 2009)

I don't know. It'd help us more than hurt us but I don't if we'd dominate off paper. The rest is up to coaching.

I don't know why, but I'd still want the essential long three spot/4th scorer. But that's just me. Timmy = production of two bigs, I guess.

If undersized, he's a beast on the boards, a terrific offensive threat, and a great shotblocker. Brand + Duncan would terrorize everybody; no team in the NBA could match that. Brand is simply one of the most vastly underrated players in the league. That's the only vague possibility he'd leave LAC - he's so underutilized and appreciated.

Russ
06-02-2008, 07:41 PM
I doubt that LAC will match the offers on both Brand and Maggette......both would fit in well with the Spurs, both skill wise and they are real pros.....don't have egos.

From what I hear, things have flipped in LA -- Maggette wants to stay with the Clippers and Brand wants to leave.

That said, I think it would be a terrible mistake to trade Ginobili for Brand (and I like Brand). Brand is very suspect injury-wise at this point. A torn Achilles is tough injury to come back from.

A.H 21-50
06-02-2008, 07:44 PM
If undersized, he's a beast on the boards, a terrific offensive threat, and a great shotblocker. Brand + Duncan would terrorize everybody; no team in the NBA could match that. Brand is simply one of the most vastly underrated players in the league. That's the only vague possibility he'd leave LAC - he's so underutilized and appreciated.

i have the same feeling on brand , he's a very good player who could play next to timmy , the two will make damage inside

but i don't think something with brand in san antonio will happen

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Its Not Going To Happen

Mr. Body
06-02-2008, 07:47 PM
i have the same feeling on brand , he's a very good player who could play next to timmy , the two will make damage inside

but i don't think something with brand in san antonio will happen

No, I don't either. I just think he's an awesome player. 20/10, 2.2 blocks a game...

A.H 21-50
06-02-2008, 07:51 PM
No, I don't either. I just think he's an awesome player. 20/10, 2.2 blocks a game...

Me too

wisnub
06-02-2008, 07:58 PM
For those who concern of the salary cap, we are actually slightly below salary cap now. If we get rid of Kurt Thomas and Horry, Damon..then we got more than 9 millions in salary cap. Plus we aint gonna spend any money on Traitor Splitter. That make up slightly above what EB's being paid now and plus a chance for a ring and becoming member of Fantastic Four (TD,TP,MANU,EB) he might bite it.
Spurs still got MLE just in case they want to get another second tier quality player although i doubt that RC ever gonna use MLE.....

I doubt that RC will go that far,but that is worth considering for. Just like Lakers suddenly rising after they got Gasol, New Twin Tower might be more than just a dream....

Go spurs Go.....Rebuild and regain the throne

NewJerSpur
06-02-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm not the biggest Maggette fan in the house...he reminds me of a taller, slightly better Antonio Daniels. His offense is rather streaky and his defense is almost non-existent neither of which would his athleticism be able to make up for in the long haul in my opinion. I'd still rather pick up Elton who may not be the most stellar of defenders, but he's good at using his wide frame to make up for his lack of height to box big men out in the rebounding department...similar to the way the Chuckster and Karl Malone used to do it. I still think he'll be a Spur later than sooner. I'm more intrigued by the prospects of the coming Golden State wholesale.

ElNono
06-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Could you guys get off the Bourbon? We have no money and thus chance in hell to afford a Brand type of player... What's next? Get KG?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-02-2008, 08:06 PM

Timmy would make Brand's life a lot easier as well....

.... I hate these threads. :lol

Like , I hated the Nocioni thread of last year.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-02-2008, 08:07 PM

You really should stop while you're behind. Way behind.

SsKSpurs21
06-02-2008, 08:11 PM
getting brand we would have to give up too much.

find a way to get Marcus Camby and we would be a defensive force to be reconed with! he can also pop out and hit a 18 footer.

ElNono
06-02-2008, 08:15 PM
getting brand we would have to give up too much.

find a way to get Marcus Camby and we would be a defensive force to be reconed with! he can also pop out and hit a 18 footer.

Once after seven tries. He's got the most ugly and slow release I can remember this side of Shawn Marion. He's fine where he is.

my2sons
06-02-2008, 09:31 PM

hmm how would they handle this, let me think...oh ya at the intro's announce td as the pf and brand as the center, like they do every game now...with whoever is playing center for the spurs

angelbelow
06-02-2008, 10:25 PM
elton is seriously a pipedream, cause i dont think we can offer him anything over the MLE right?

ElNono
06-02-2008, 10:29 PM
We should offer him the veteran minimum and see if he bites. We also need to hope nobody else offers more.

This is about how silly this thread looks like.

TDMVPDPOY
06-02-2008, 11:25 PM
how about alonzo mourning? he says he wants to come back

jag
06-03-2008, 12:04 AM

We aren't gonna move either of these guys and if we did it would just leave us with the new problem of having one less shooter/scorer/penetrating guard.

/End of thread.

bigfish22
06-03-2008, 09:58 AM
You mean there's no way we'll get Elton Brand, just like there's no way the Bulls would win the lottery?

stxspurs
06-03-2008, 10:15 AM
we can get robert tractor traylor!, he wants to come back too.....as dumb is this statement is...so is getting brand

21_Blessings
06-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Don't forget that he can opt out of his contract this summer and become a UFA.

Don't forget that SA won't have enough cap space to sign him even if opts out of that huge contract, which he won't.

angelbelow
06-03-2008, 11:03 AM
We should offer him the veteran minimum and see if he bites. We also need to hope nobody else offers more.

This is about how silly this thread looks like.

hahaha. it'll be like nba 2k8 where you offer someone such a low contract they refuse to have anything to do with your team.

Thomas82
06-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Don't forget that SA won't have enough cap space to sign him even if opts out of that huge contract, which he won't.

I never expected the Spurs to get him anyway, so it wouldn't shock me one bit if he stayed in LA.