PDA

View Full Version : Spurs '08-'09 Roster - The only UNrestricted Free Agents even worth considering:

EJK5032
06-02-2008, 08:39 PM
The only UNrestricted Free Agents even worth considering:

totally unrestricted, no player/team/early termination options:

Eddie House
Jamaal Magloire
Eduardo Najera
Theo Ratliff
Mickael Pietrus
Quinton Ross
Bostjan Nachbar
Carlos Arroyo
Michael Finley
Kurt Thomas
Primoz Brezec
Antawn Jamison

I figure Horry, Damon, and DeMarr will not be back. Barry and Vaughn will be back with player options. So that leaves 3 open roster spots.

Considering the front courts that are being assembled in the West, the Spurs probably need to lean that way......leaving the backup PG spot up to Vaughn alone, and in crunch time, Manu and Barry can handle it. I think Damon proved it's not worth carrying another PG on the roster, except you might need somebody to run scout team PG in practice.

I think the most realistic signings from this list are bringing back Thomas and Finley, and bringing in Najera and Pietrus.

Najera is a hustling machine, gets under your skin, rebounds, plays D, and has developed an outside shot.
Pietrus would provide more athleticism & scoring on the wing, and can shoot the 3.
Finley's shot is so pretty, how can you say no to that ?
Thomas just needs more time to gel with the team.

That leaves this roster:

5/4 - Duncan, Thomas, Oberto, Mahinmi, Bonner, Najera
3 - Bowen, Udoka, Pietrus
2 - Ginobili, Barry, Finley
1 - Parker, Vaughn

that leaves 1 open spot for the first round draft pick / D-League player.

Everyone on here is dreaming of some big free agent signing or trade, but this is a much more realistic scenario, and what I think would be another solid Spurs team once again challenging for the title in 2009. Go Spurs Go !!!

NewJerSpur
06-02-2008, 08:44 PM
If only Quenton Ross had more of an offensive game. He has the potential to evolve into a Bruce Bown prototype, minus the long range touch, but we need more offense from the 2-guard spot.

Chief
06-02-2008, 08:48 PM
good take, i'd love to have najera on the team, he's one of those guy's u hate when he's on the opposing team but a guy you'd love to have. plays D, get's in the head of his opponents.

and Pietrus to me would be a younger Finley, great shooting skills.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 08:49 PM
i think finley needs to go and forget najera. i like pietrus but instead of najera i like azabuike, james jones, rj smith, or quinton ross

Mr. Body
06-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Didn't Najera develop a 3-ball this year?

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 08:54 PM
i like azbuike better and rj smith too, even though he is kinda immature. but he can sure help us score when our other guys cant

Marcus Bryant
06-02-2008, 08:54 PM
What about Pargo?

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 08:56 PM
What about Pargo?

good point pargo is another good option at the same time duhon would be good too

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Najera is 31 and not terribly athletic, but he's a scrappy player with a decent J. He'd probably be amenable to a two-year deal with a third-year option.

The other guy is Pietrus, but I think he's going to be in high demand because he's one of the few young players with completely "unrestricted" status, so teams won't feel like they have to overpay. I expect the Spurs to be in the bidding, but I'm not sure they win out.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Najera is 31 and not terribly athletic, but he's a scrappy player with a decent J. He'd probably be amenable to a two-year deal with a third-year option.

The other guy is Pietrus, but I think he's going to be in high demand because he's one of the few young players with completely "unrestricted" status, so teams won't feel like they have to overpay. I expect the Spurs to be in the bidding, but I'm not sure they win out.

if that is the case then i would expect SA to be #1 on his list, we need a young athletic guy just like him and we will be contending for a title, how could he turn that down?

SenorSpur
06-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Didn't Najera develop a 3-ball this year?

Yes he did. I was quite shocked when I saw him nail a couple of 3-balls during a game versus the Mavs earlier this season

smrattler
06-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Them's slim pickings. :(

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Of those, I only like Quinton Ross, Carlos Arroyo, and Kurt Thomas.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 09:21 PM
He only named the totally unrestricteds. Theres much more options than those

SenorSpur
06-02-2008, 09:22 PM
if that is the case then i would expect SA to be #1 on his list, we need a young athletic guy just like him and we will be contending for a title, how could he turn that down?

I'd be very happy if the Spurs could nab both Pietrus and Najera. Couple that with the drafting of a young SG like Rush, Bantum or Lee and that goes a long way toward filling a couple of holes.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 09:23 PM
I'd be very happy if the Spurs could nab both Pietrus and Najera. Couple that with the drafting of a young SG like Rush, Bantum or Lee and that goes a long way toward filling a couple of holes.

I say Pietrus and Azbuike or Ricky davis not najera

smrattler
06-02-2008, 09:24 PM
How many decent or better "restricted" FAs ever go anywhere. Seems like it never happens. New teams don't want to waste their time, RFA stands by waiting, owning team just waits for everyone to be scared off and get their guy for a decent price usually.

And trades, when was the last time we made a trade in the offseason?

This might be new days with the level of competition in the West now. Maybe a new era of front office movement and activity is upon us because we are in the home stretch of the TD era. But I'll believe it when I see it.

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 09:27 PM
its worth the try anyways. i can see the warriors giving up azbuike and i can also see the heat giving up ricky davis. he didnt play to well there

E20
06-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Antawn Jamison would be the perfect small ball player, too bad it will never happen.

jjktkk
06-02-2008, 09:29 PM
I would take Pietrus. Athletic, can hit the 3, and play D. Plus he has to fellow Frenchmen on the team in Parker and Mahinmi.

MagnusKrauss
06-02-2008, 09:34 PM
don't we already have a white hustle guy with a 3-ball (Bonner)?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Even if we do draft a PG and/or a swingman, I say we should still get both in the free agent market. If we keep Jacque, then off goes the PG possibility through free agency.

AFBlue
06-02-2008, 09:39 PM

If the Spurs went after Najera it would spell the end for Bonner. Dude showed some guts and decent range, but he was buried at the end of the bench with Pop trusting a 36yr old dude who was shooting 20%.

I just don't see how Bonner fits long-term. I think they'll "Butler" him and look to package a late pick just to get rid of his salary.

smrattler
06-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Speaking of Mickael Pietrs, I didn't follow GSW much at all this year. Moreso last year when they were fun and exciting and fresh and Nellie was destined to upset the Mavs. :)

But just looking at his stats, can someone explain the following:

1) Why did his FG% drop so much this year versus last year? Which player is he? The 49% FG guy from the previous year, or the guy who in a contract year dropped to 43%?

2) I keep hearing he can play D and shoot the 3, something I recall from previous year and agreed with. But his career avg is 35% from back there, including 36% this year. That's not even considered "good" IMO. Usually closer to 40% minimum for me really.

3) His mins dropped big time this year, from 27 to 20 mpg. Who took his mins and why?

4) What kind of player can he guard better than the guys we have already (Bowen, Udoka).

spursfan98
06-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Even if we do draft a PG and/or a swingman, I say we should still get both in the free agent market. If we keep Jacque, then off goes the PG possibility through free agency.

We could still get Duhon or Pargo even if Jacque stays

K-State Spur
06-02-2008, 09:59 PM
He's probably a bit overrated as a defender and outside shooter. I'd say he's slightly below where Udoka was coming in at both those facets.

However, he is a better athlete and does other things better than Ime.

tav1
06-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Trevor Ariza?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-02-2008, 11:36 PM
2 - Ginobili, Barry, Finley

Anyone who wants us to go into 2008-2009 with this 2guard rotation must not want us to win another ring.

Spur-Addict
06-02-2008, 11:52 PM

Najera isn't white.

clubalien
06-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Najera isn't white.

yes he is. He is the mexican version of malik rose. If we are taking back the mav forward.

bigdog
06-03-2008, 12:03 AM
Speaking of Mickael Pietrs, I didn't follow GSW much at all this year. Moreso last year when they were fun and exciting and fresh and Nellie was destined to upset the Mavs. :)

1) Why did his FG% drop so much this year versus last year? Which player is he? The 49% FG guy from the previous year, or the guy who in a contract year dropped to 43%?

2) I keep hearing he can play D and shoot the 3, something I recall from previous year and agreed with. But his career avg is 35% from back there, including 36% this year. That's not even considered "good" IMO. Usually closer to 40% minimum for me really.

3) His mins dropped big time this year, from 27 to 20 mpg. Who took his mins and why?

4) What kind of player can he guard better than the guys we have already (Bowen, Udoka).

His field goal percentage dropped, as well as his minutes. Azubuike took alot of his minutes. Pietrus was injured early in the season, so when Azubuike stepped in and played well, that took away alot of minutes that Pietrus would have gotten when we came back from injury.

No one said he's an amazing defender, but he has the capability and athleticism to guard some guys that our current backups (Finley and Barry) can guard. He'd be a steal for the Spurs.

pawe
06-03-2008, 12:27 AM
I like the Najera and pargo prospects. Najera is like a malik rose, always active and a good garbageman for loose balls. Pargo's offense is also worth mentioning, he isnt afraid of taking shots and has a decent shooting range. a few weeks of them under chip will really pay dividends.

Biggems
06-03-2008, 12:46 AM
I'll take DeSagana Diop and James Jones.

NewJerSpur
06-03-2008, 01:04 AM
Pargo, epsecially after his showing in this year's postseason, GREATLY interests me. I think he can adapt to any system you place him in and isn't scared to shoot...reminds me a bit of Speedy Claxton who took big shots when the superstars were struggling to keep the team in the game, and also had good dribble penetration; I think Pargo's a better defender though. He and Buike might be at the top of my list, even if one or both are necessarily locks. And call me crazy, but I think Matt Barnes might be a low risk high reward signing.

KidCongo
06-03-2008, 01:41 AM
Pietrus played as the 4 too

cly2tw
06-03-2008, 01:44 AM
You guys ever have an idea of the cap? Pietrus will start no less than 4mil and Najara at least half of the MLE. So, you can't get them both in FA. I believe Pietrus is more important.

angelbelow
06-03-2008, 03:30 AM
Anyone who wants us to go into 2008-2009 with this 2guard rotation must not want us to win another ring.

true story.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-03-2008, 03:39 AM
Eddie House - no, gunner, not PG.
Jamaal Magloire - NO! Been hopeless for 3 years.
Eduardo Najera - maybe.
Theo Ratliff - no, too old.
Mickael Pietrus - no, basketball IQ of a gnat, apparently.
Quinton Ross - maybe, if cheap.
Bostjan Nachbar - maybe in a swap for Bonner.
Carlos Arroyo - maybe, but probably costs too much (and wants to start?).
Michael Finley - NO! Time to retire, old man.
Kurt Thomas -YES. Have his Bird rights, he should be the backup for Tim.
Primoz Brezec - no, too lumbering and soft.
Antawn Jamison - unrealistic.

You missed the following because they are RESTRICTED (which does not mean off the table):
Carlos Delfino - YES PLEASE
Kelenna Azubiuke - YES PLEASE
James Jones - more of a shooter, but not a bad fall-back.
Mo Evans - good if cheap.

I think we can get Delfino and should do so.

sprrs
06-03-2008, 04:08 AM
Finley's shot is so pretty, how can you say no to that ?

His shot may be a pretty sight to the eyes, but the clang of the rim is not a pretty sound to the ears.

EJK5032
06-03-2008, 01:04 PM

hasn't that combination already won a ring?

ideally, we will be signing a FA swingman that can play both the 2 and 3......whether it's Pietrus or whoever.

and what is with all this Ginobili bashing !?!?!? have you people totally forgotten how good he is ??? he was All-NBA this year for crying out loud !!! and he did it coming off the bench! he is one of the best all around basketball players in the world, literally ! you people are on crack

EJK5032
06-03-2008, 01:07 PM
His shot may be a pretty sight to the eyes, but the clang of the rim is not a pretty sound to the ears.

do you really think that Finley is going to go from the starting lineup to retiring or not being re-signed ?

said7
06-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Eddie House, he's a fearless shooter. We need that.

sendman
06-03-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm Nachbars agent

dalembert
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jrhFriD_6IQ

knicks
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ddaDLDlY484

jermaine oneal
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cKnOvwp-3Nc

wizards
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Et8HWLW_d80

hornets/ chandler looking dumb
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WaYOA7llXRM

tim duncan
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NFNc1LcUEec

someone on the raptors
http://youtube.com/watch?v=c2YpILcZUYM

EJK5032
06-03-2008, 01:16 PM
what's with all this Azabuike talk ? He is a restricted FA. obviously he has been getting better and playing more, do you really think the Warriors would not match an offer for him? and do you really think the Spurs have the money, or would even overpay for somebody like him? the Spurs alread have 3 stars, 3 All-NBA quality players, and are already paying 3 stars.....they are looking to fill holes on an already championship caliber roster, not overpay for a potentially good FA.

somebody mentioned the Pietrus - France -Parker - Mahinmi connection, which makes sense........and the Najera - Mexico - SA connection makes sense too. these are the types of players that will be availabe and will fit into the Spurs system and salary range.

spurscenter
06-03-2008, 01:35 PM
If only Quenton Ross had more of an offensive game. He has the potential to evolve into a Bruce Bown prototype, minus the long range touch, but we need more offense from the 2-guard spot.

noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo,

OMG
ROSS IS HORRIBLE, HORRIFIC

HE DOES NOT BELONG IN THE NBA

noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo,

spursfan98
06-03-2008, 01:59 PM
So what if azibuike is a FA the warriors probably wouldnt match him

kobyz
06-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Ryan Gomes will be a steal

urunobili
06-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Priorities:

Azubuike
Pietrus
Pargo
Delfino

mrspurs
06-03-2008, 02:21 PM
none of those guys are gonna get us ready to play NO, lakers....they better think twice before signing any of these has beens.........go spurs go

spursfan98
06-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Priorities:

Azubuike
Pietrus
Pargo
Delfino

I agree but Diop should be on that list

bobbybob0
06-03-2008, 04:39 PM

Because Nellie is just dumb with his matchups thing and played him mostly at the 4.

He never was and will never be a great 3 point shooter but he's active on defense, has decent range and can put the ball on the floor.

I'd like him to sign with the spurs but I guess he's now looking for a lucrative/multi-year deal after having been basically screwed by Mullin last year when he was a restricted FA.
Mullin kept spreading rumors that he will eventually match any offers then he was burried at the end of the bench in his contract year.

NewJerSpur
06-03-2008, 08:03 PM
noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo,

OMG
ROSS IS HORRIBLE, HORRIFIC

HE DOES NOT BELONG IN THE NBA

noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo, noooooooooooo,

Doesn't matter how exaggerated your no's are or how long you keep your finger on Caps Lock, Ross has a decent jumper and is VERY active defensively; he would fit into this team's system just fine....the only problem is we need more offense out of the position as we already have defenders ranging from "above average" to "lockdown" status on the team right now. At this point in his career he doesn't provide SA with that.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Doesn't matter how exaggerated your no's are or how long you keep your finger on Caps Lock, Ross has a decent jumper and is VERY active defensively; he would fit into this team's system just fine....the only problem is we need more offense out of the position as we already have defenders ranging from "above average" to "lockdown" status on the team right now. At this point in his career he doesn't provide SA with that.

:tu

Spur-Addict
06-03-2008, 08:09 PM
yes he is. He is the mexican version of malik rose. If we are taking back the mav forward.

Spur-Addict
06-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Trevor Ariza?

....(Arrrrrghh)....Pardon me, I just puked in my mouth.

The Truth #6
06-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Azub has Donn Nelson's love. Nelson is going to keep him. If we get anyone from GS it would be Matt Barnes, which I think is a good option to pursue. His stock is at an all time low so I think if we made a decent offer we could get him. He's off the radar. He's like a better version of Udoka with more passion, and yes, unfortunately volatility.

It's been rumored he doesn't want to play away from his home, but it wouldn't shock me if Pop does a tour of the wine country and goes to talk to him to give him a hard sell when the time is right. If anyone could convince him of leaving California it might be Pop and his charm.

He would be athletic. He might not be able to guard the David West types in a small ball lineup, but hopefully Ian will be able to fill in that role.

Pietrus has better size for what we need, but Pietrus is dumb as rocks and would be Elson v.2 as far as learning the system, in my opinion.

NewJerSpur
06-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Azub has Donn Nelson's love. Nelson is going to keep him. If we get anyone from GS it would be Matt Barnes, which I think is a good option to pursue. His stock is at an all time low so I think if we made a decent offer we could get him. He's off the radar. He's like a better version of Udoka with more passion, and yes, unfortunately volatility.

It's been rumored he doesn't want to play away from his home, but it wouldn't shock me if Pop does a tour of the wine country and goes to talk to him to give him a hard sell when the time is right. If anyone could convince him of leaving California it might be Pop and his charm.

He would be athletic. He might not be able to guard the David West types in a small ball lineup, but hopefully Ian will be able to fill in that role.

Pietrus has better size for what we need, but Pietrus is dumb as rocks and would be Elson v.2 as far as learning the system, in my opinion.

Nice post. With Barnes' mom now being deceased (R.I.P.) he might be more inclined to leave NorCal assuming she was a major reason why he wanted to stay around the area. I love Barnes grit, his range, and slashing capability. He's a good rebounder and is definitely not a slouch on the defensive end. Could be a steal IMO.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Yup, Truth is absolutely right - we'd all love Kelenna, but Barnes is probably the odd man out in Warriortown. I wonder how cheap he can be had.

K-State Spur
06-03-2008, 08:45 PM
You could do worse than Ross, he could fill a role, but he can't be THE move.

If the Spurs add him, to me, that means that they would have to add another wing who has the ability to score.

And right now, with Manu-Bowen-Udoka-Barry expected to return (and I don't think Finley can be completely ruled out until we actually hear that a decision has been made), how many wings are you looking at? If you add Ross, then I would think that either Udoka or Barry will also not be back.

NewJerSpur
06-03-2008, 08:58 PM
I hear you. I actually think we may look at Ross a few years down the road as he matures and possibly develops his game offensively to go along with his active defense....especially with Bruce getting "long in the tooth" and Udoka being a wild card.

Right now I would be happy with the offseason:

1) acquiring Pargo (who could be comparable to TP) as well as Barnes (who could be the next Robert Horry if he gets his head on straight)

2) bringing up Mahinimi to see if he can be the next Admirale...or at least Nazi Muhammad during the 2005 championship run.

3) bringing back KT to serve as an enforcer off the bench.

sprrs
06-04-2008, 04:03 AM
do you really think that Finley is going to go from the starting lineup to retiring or not being re-signed ?

Wouldn't shock me at all to see him back. Doesn't mean I want him back.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-05-2008, 12:02 AM
You could do worse than Ross, he could fill a role, but he can't be THE move.

If the Spurs add him, to me, that means that they would have to add another wing who has the ability to score.

And right now, with Manu-Bowen-Udoka-Barry expected to return (and I don't think Finley can be completely ruled out until we actually hear that a decision has been made), how many wings are you looking at? If you add Ross, then I would think that either Udoka or Barry will also not be back.

I think we need 6 wings including a young guy. Remember that Bruce and Brent are getting very old, and we want Manu to play about 27 minutes a game this upcoming season so he's fresh for the playoffs.

That's Manu-Bruce-Ime-Brent, youngish MLE FA, young draftee. that way Ime-MLE-draftee can absorb a bunch of minutes. Oh, and Barry will also play some point.

As for Fin, I love the guy, but please, no more. He's done. Having him around would just take development minutes away from the MLE guy and the draftee.

EJK5032
06-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Najera and Pietrus