PDA

View Full Version : Why are people using Manu so called injury as an excuse we lost?

The_Game
06-03-2008, 07:43 AM
It's a load of garbage

Manu was no more injured than Kobe or Fisher have been...it's just a weak excuse. Yeah Manu wasn't 100% but Kobe is going to need surgery for his injury and Fisher was hardly 100% either.

Why is it teams can't use excuses in past seasons when their guys were hurt but when it happens to the spurs It's ok to use the injury card? it's double standards.

please people, shut the hell up about Manu so called injury. Even if he was 100% the spurs would not of won the series, they were simply overmatched

we were lucky to win the Hornets series, we got by that on pure experience and the fact the Hornets don't have a good enough shooting guard....

BTW using Manu injury as an excuse is foolish when Laker fans can say they would of swept us If they had a healthy Andre Bynum.

GSH
06-03-2008, 07:56 AM
Why bother coming here saying "we" like you are a Spurs fan? Every post you've ever made has been anti-Spur. And aren't you the same genious that said this about the Spurs beating the Rockets and Mavs?

No Yao
No Dirk
both are tainted wins
IDIOT

But I forget... you're a former basketball star yourself:

Yes I played and at a good level

I played in the NCAA tourney and even made the elite 8 one year our of the 4 i was at college.

Not just a Spur hater. A shit-for-brains Spur hater.

m33p0
06-03-2008, 08:13 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3010/2314871677_3d20c9132b_o.jpg

Lackluster
06-03-2008, 08:27 AM
double pump reverse dunks = healthy

flat-footed three balls = not healthy

SpurOutofTownFan
06-03-2008, 08:30 AM
It's a load of garbage

Manu was no more injured than Kobe or Fisher have been...it's just a weak excuse. Yeah Manu wasn't 100% but Kobe is going to need surgery for his injury and Fisher was hardly 100% either.

Why is it teams can't use excuses in past seasons when their guys were hurt but when it happens to the spurs It's ok to use the injury card? it's double standards.

please people, shut the hell up about Manu so called injury. Even if he was 100% the spurs would not of won the series, they were simply overmatched

we were lucky to win the Hornets series, we got by that on pure experience and the fact the Hornets don't have a good enough shooting guard....

BTW using Manu injury as an excuse is foolish when Laker fans can say they would of swept us If they had a healthy Andre Bynum.

You don't deserve a real answer. So just get the fuck off

The_Game
06-03-2008, 08:36 AM
You don't deserve a real answer. So just get the fuck off

You don't have a real answer, thats why

Just more excuses coming out of stupid fans who can't admit they got beat by a better team

disgraceful

rascal
06-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Agree, manu played a great game in game 3 so he looked all right in that game. I saw him take it strong to the basket on occasion in the series so he was able to do it.

I don't know what he was feeling in the ankle but if he was all that injured were he could not be effective he should not have played.

The lakers did not have Bynum and they still won 4-1. They were the better team.

TxJudsonRocketTx
06-03-2008, 08:45 AM

Just more excuses coming out of stupid fans who can't admit they got beat by a better team

disgraceful

Are you fucking stupid or what? Seriously now, I'm not trying to be a dick but Manu's game is slashing to the basket. When you can't get any push off of an ankle it is kind of hard to do that. How many dunks did he have this series? How many times did Radmanovic blow past him? How many times did he stumble when executing a crossover because he couldn't get any weight on that ankle? Dude was playing on guts alone, if his 3 wasn't falling then he was useless. Did he cost us the series? Maybe, but that's because Pop chose to keep him in every game when it was clear he just didn't have his game. It's kind of hard to win a series when the guy who is IMO our best player is completely useless and cannot even take it up strong at the rim. An ankle injury and basketball is probably the worst kind of injury you could have, if you've ever actually played you would know that. Yeah you can occasionally do things you normally would, but for the most part it feels like the fucking thing is going to give out on you. Take away one of Kobe's ankles and watch him be turned exclusively into a jump shooter

urunobili
06-03-2008, 08:45 AM
:ban:

m33p0
06-03-2008, 08:46 AM
that's some mighty potent stuff you're drinking, my friend.

the spurs got beat, that's true. the lakers might be better, that's also true. but i don't buy the crap that the spurs got beat simply because the lakers were better. how do you think the series would have turned out had manu been, at the very least, average?

spurs 09
06-03-2008, 09:26 AM
It's a load of garbage

I agree. It's refreshing to here a Spurs fans take the "L" like a true champion. We still have a shot next year but a key trade is important.

Lake_show
06-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Honestly he is right.

xtremesteven33
06-03-2008, 10:19 AM
thats what seperates manu from kobe. GREAT players will play great thru the pain. (Jordan,Isaiah,Duncan,Kobe)

other players let thier injurys effect thier game too much for the worst

K-State Spur
06-03-2008, 10:26 AM
when Radmanovic and Peja can guard Ginobili without getting embarrassed = Manu nowhere near 100%

Guajalote
06-03-2008, 10:40 AM
I say the same thing every year, whether we win or lose.

A championship is made up of the following:
A. Teamwork
B. Skill
C. Luck
D. Lack of injuries
E. Intestinal Fortitude

In 2000, we all know about TD's injury.

2000-02, I think everyone can agree that A & B were on display with the Lakers.

In '03 luck was on our side because of Horry's shot somehow rattling out of the rim, despite the fact it had more than halfway gone through. DRob pointed this out on the championship DVD when he talked about getting breaks that you normally don't get.

In '04, luck was DEFINITELY not on our side. cough cough .04 cough cough

In '05, our finest championship team in my opinion, A&B were on full display when we beat the Pistons in 7.

In '06, a combination of C&D (TD's plantar fasciitis and Manu's foul) worked against us in game 7 of the WCF.

In '07, despite the fact we had a better team, I think that our intestinal fortitude was clearly evident because we had heard all year how old we were getting (Pop getting up and saying "I don't give a sh**." when asked if he thought we would repeat). :lol

This year, I just think that intestinal fortitude, teamwork (which didn't start coming around until our Utah victory at the end of the regular season), and skill weren't enough to overcome injuries and a new factor for us, and that was exhaustion. Plus, having the reigning MVP on your team who rips the throat out of an opposing team when he smells blood didn't hurt the Lakers either. :toast

So overall, I think we did the best that we could with what we had. Like TimVP, I'm proud of the guys for making it as far as they did. I would have loved to see another championship, but I think that years like this make championships that much sweeter.

xtremesteven33
06-03-2008, 10:47 AM
I say the same thing every year, whether we win or lose.

A championship is made up of the following:
A. Teamwork
B. Skill
C. Luck
D. Lack of injuries
E. Intestinal Fortitude

In 2000, we all know about TD's injury.

2000-02, I think everyone can agree that A & B were on display with the Lakers.

In '03 luck was on our side because of Horry's shot somehow rattling out of the rim, despite the fact it had more than halfway gone through. DRob pointed this out on the championship DVD when he talked about getting breaks that you normally don't get.

In '04, luck was DEFINITELY not on our side. cough cough .04 cough cough

In '05, our finest championship team in my opinion, A&B were on full display when we beat the Pistons in 7.

In '06, a combination of C&D (TD's plantar fasciitis and Manu's foul) worked against us in game 7 of the WCF.

In '07, despite the fact we had a better team, I think that our intestinal fortitude was clearly evident because we had heard all year how old we were getting (Pop getting up and saying "I don't give a sh**." when asked if he thought we would repeat). :lol

This year, I just think that intestinal fortitude, teamwork (which didn't start coming around until our Utah victory at the end of the regular season), and skill weren't enough to overcome injuries and a new factor for us, and that was exhaustion. Plus, having the reigning MVP on your team who rips the throat out of an opposing team when he smells blood didn't hurt the Lakers either. :toast

So overall, I think we did the best that we could with what we had. Like TimVP, I'm proud of the guys for making it as far as they did. I would have loved to see another championship, but I think that years like this make championships that much sweeter.

:toast

hater
06-03-2008, 10:48 AM
It's a load of garbage

if Manu had played 100% we would have won the series. end of story.

xtremesteven33
06-03-2008, 10:50 AM
IF, IF, IF....if wishes were fishes, the world would be an ocean

smeagol
06-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Manu was injured but we did not lose because of that alone. But it was clearly part of the reason why we lost.

Oh, and rascal, nice to see you posting so much again. I guess it has nothing to do with the Spurs losing . . .

angelbelow
06-03-2008, 10:55 AM
because if you watched the game it was obvious.

Spurminator
06-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Even if he was 100% the spurs would not of won the series

They would have. But, shit happens.

tmtcsc
06-03-2008, 11:12 AM

disgraceful

You're a fucking joke. Manu was injured and if he wasn't we would have had better results against the Lakers. Bynum or no Bynum. The Laker bigs didn't kill us it was the guard play.

If you can't see what impact a healthy Manu would have had, then go back and watch the Finals from last year or the 2005 Championship. Just admit you are a Lakers fan and you are holding on to the biggest series win since the last time you and that Geriatric Hall of Famer team was put together in 2004.

The East will get the Larry O'Brien trophy this year in the Celtic's easiest series of the playoffs. They have the Defense and the offensive power to finish you in 5. Damn, I don't know what's worse...losing in the WCF or losing in the Finals. Hey, second place aint bad right ? Pssht. Your Lakers are going to get crushed.

Spuradicator
06-03-2008, 11:21 AM
It's a load of garbage

Very weak attempt at trolling. :lmao

Allanon
06-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Like I said I think at 100% we are the better team. Maybe we didn't think the Lakers were as good, but think about it on 3 occasions we were leading by more than 15 points. And the only time we held that lead was when Manu was playing like Manu.

Somebody brought it up and didn't make me think about it before now. We can say IF Manu was healthy but indeed, the Lakers could also say IF the Lakers were healthy.

1) IF Kobe didn't need hand surgery, he would have played better
2) IF Bynum was healthy, the Lakers could have used him with Duncan and Pau scoring at will over Fabricio
3) IF the Spurs hadn't lost those scrub games, they would have had home court advantage
4) IF the Lakers hadn't lost those scrub games, they would have take back home court advantage in #3. etc, etc.

Manu might have changed the 4-1 to 4-2 but the series was never really in jeopardy after that Game 1 comeback.

Injuries are part of the game, nobody's 100% healthy at this point in the year when games just seem to pop up every other night....back 2 backs too.

coachmac87
06-03-2008, 01:18 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cNb-PujGKbI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cNb-PujGKbI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

cause we could have used this guy for the whole playoffs not just the laker series

coachmac87
06-03-2008, 01:23 PM
people act like manu was close to being the player he was capable of. Do people forget he finished in top 10 in MVP voting!!! and he was off the bench!!!!

Tradition
06-03-2008, 01:51 PM
:rolleyes:rolleyes Assholes disrespecting the thread starter. Show some fucking respect!

kARR8o_3VxY

Budkin
06-03-2008, 01:59 PM
You're not a fucking Spurs fan poser. Shitty try.

Tradition
06-03-2008, 02:09 PM
You're not a fucking Spurs fan poser. Shitty try.

He is the fucking game and he is that damn good! How dare you talk like that to the king of kings!:rolleyes

mrspurs
06-03-2008, 02:10 PM
hate to say it....but this thread is right....manu playing with or without injuries wouldnt have helped...it was lamar that killed us...gasol that killed us....face it manu will soon turn into another shooter with time...his Dwade style of play isnt gonna cut it anymore...and when he cant cuts to the basket...he turns the ball over...and that is never good...........go spurs go

spursfan98
06-03-2008, 04:12 PM
The reason is cus of the scoring draughts lamar didnt kill us and neither did anyone else it is the scoring draughts 90% and 10% shitty scheldule

dastrey
06-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Let me first say that the Lakers deserved to get to the Finals, but I feel the Spurs had things going against them. Had the Spurs played the Lakers in the 1st round it would have been a much more contested series. The Spurs essentially played 3 "Conference Finals" in a row. The Lakers didn't seem more impressive than the Suns or the Hornets.

After coming back from 0-2 against the Hornets, the Spurs tied it up 3-3 on a Thursday night. The Spurs then had to wait FOUR days later to play the game 7. The NBA didn't want to interfere with the opening night of the WNBA on Saturday. Meanwhile the Lakers took care of the Jazz on Sunday. Had the Spurs played on Saturday(like they should have) and won they would have had at least 3-4 whole days of rest. Instead they had to fly directly to LA and we all know how they had to sleep on the runway. They played well in game 1 and built a 20 point lead. They then proceeded to shoot 15% in the 4th quarter. Did the Spurs really just choke, or was fatigue a factor? There is no question Pop would have rested Manu in game 2 had we won.

These events were not the reason the Spurs lost, but they certainly were a factor. This is part of the 'luck' factor that people talk about. The Spurs didn't have it this year.

DazedAndConfused
06-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Health is always a factor IMHO, but it affects all teams equally. Therefore it can never really be used as an excuse. It's just an external force that players have no control over. You have to make due with what you have.

Chief
06-03-2008, 05:46 PM
I don't think the majority of the fans think it was because of Manu.

We had defensive mistakes, couldn't score the ball (not just manu, anyone not named tim duncan) and we blew double digit leads, now if we built those leads without manu, we should've been able to sustain them without manu.

manu said in an interview himself that game 3 was a delusion because he shot a bunch of threes.

we gassed out towards the end of the playoffs, shit happens, we'll be back next year reloaded.

Borosai
06-03-2008, 06:10 PM
A better series from Manu would have changed things drastically (and would've helped counter the other problems the team had), but that wasn't the only problem, and certainly not the only reason the Spurs lost the series. Scoring droughts (games 1 and 5), rebounding (game 4), bench production (basically every game), etc.

Chief
06-03-2008, 06:15 PM
A better series from Manu would have changed things drastically (and would've helped counter the other problems the team had), but that wasn't the only problem, and certainly not the only reason the Spurs lost the series. Scoring droughts (games 1 and 5), rebounding (game 4), bench production (basically every game), etc.

that avatar is awesome

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-03-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm not saying we were CERTAIN to win with a healthy Manu, but the series would've gone 7 if he were at all healthy, and I think we would've won it.

Why? Well, we had trouble finishing off games. We lost games 1 and 4 in the last few minutes. What does Manu do for us when he's healthy? FINISH GAMES. He is our Mariano Riviera - the Closer. He is, by stats, in the top 3 clutch players in the league. That's what he does. However, he was clearly injured because he had no lift/explosion/lateral movement, and thus couldn't play his regular clutch closer game (driving, getting to the line, knocking down step-backs and pull-ups). Manu was at about 30% physically, and that cost us any chance of winning the series.

exstatic
06-03-2008, 09:00 PM
It's a load of garbage

A Laker was going in for a layup on the left side in the half court offense in game 4. Manu came along the right baseline to challenge, and he never does shit half assed. His hand didn't even come up to rim level with a running start. That's how much lift he didn't have in this series.

I'll take a healthy Bynum from them if we can have a healthy Manu, and I like our chances. Bynum isn't going for 40, and is going to subtract from what Gasol gets.

T Park
06-03-2008, 09:26 PM
:lol

The fucking idiots have forgotten how good a decently healthy Ginobili is.

mikekim
06-03-2008, 09:34 PM
I don't see the ankle as an "excuse."

I see it as a huge reason. Doesn't excuse our loss.

K-State Spur
06-03-2008, 10:53 PM
:lol

The fucking idiots have forgotten how good a decently healthy Ginobili is.

no shit. it was only 2.5 months ago that this guy was being discussed (by the media, not just spurs fans) as a darkhorse MVP candidate.

then they act like its NORMAL that guys like radmanovic had little trouble guarding him.

nfg3
06-03-2008, 11:01 PM
The "what if" scenarios always happen after a series is over. The Spurs fans have theirs as does every team that loses and goes fishing. Health is a major factor in any run to the championship regardless of what sport being talked about. Manu's health in this series was a critical factor in the Spurs losing but those things happen. If you really want to play the "what if" then consider the following:

1999: Full season and those extra games would have meant more time for other teams to gel and be better going into the playoffs. Sean's 3? Laker's meltdown in game 2 in the 4th Q? Do the Spurs win their first?

2000: TD doesn't have a knee injury - how far do the Spurs go?

2001: Derek Anderson was a critical part of our success that year but got injured in the Dallas series. He was totally ineffective after coming back and trying to play with the injury. How far do the Spurs go with a healthy DA?

2002: DRob injures his back in the last week of the season in Detroit. His mobility is limited. We lead the Lakers in 4 out of 5 games going into the 4th Q but lost the series 4-1. Does Drob's injury have any effect on the outcome of that series?

2003: Lakers were injured at PF for most of the year and therefore Horry plays more (starter) minutes than usual at that position and against a much higher caliber of talant. He's banged up and tired going into the playoffs and dosen't have that extra bit of energy he usually has. He misses the 3 pt shot in game 5 - goes halfway down and then comes out. If made do the Spurs have the same mindset to blow out the Lakers in LA in game 6 and go on to win the title?

2004: .4 - enough said.

2005: R. Wallace doesn't double Manu in game 5 thereby leaving Horry open for a 3. Do the Pistons win game 5 and the then the title?

2006: Plantar faciatis and Manu's brain fart against Dirk in game 7 vs. Dallas. Do the Spurs go on and win the title?

2007: Horry's hip check - again enough said.

20008: Manu's health.

All "what if" situations that can be debated. Personally I believe the following:

1999: Strike shorten seasons always bring out the "what if" scenarios more than any other ones. A full season means that 32 more games were to be played. Anything could have happened. Injuries to key players is always a possibility. But the Spurs that year were extremely well disciplined and played excellent lockdown D. Most teams got to shootit just once because our defensive rebounding was great. Spurs win Title.

2000: We absolutely get out of the first round and probably face the Lakers in the WCF.
Chances are 50/50 we win.

2001: Lakers and Shaq were playing great and DA would have prevented a sweep but no series win.

2002: Spurs in this one - you don't come back 4 out of 5 games in the 4th Q to beat us. That year those comebacks had to do with second chance points, offensive rebounds and the lack of interior D by the Spurs. A healthy DRob solves all three. Spurs win Title.

2003: 50/50 chance the Spurs lose that series if they lose game 5 in SA. But the Lakers were running on fumes - injuries maybe - Spurs win Title.

2004: 50/50 chance for either team to win the WC. IF Spurs win against LA then they had to play the Timberwolves. That year both teams slugged it out and that series would have been slightly in the Spurs favor but almost too close to call. But Detroit that year was awesome. They were just on a mission. No one beats them that year.

2005: Detroit wins game 5 if Wallace stays at home on Horry. Horry had a clean look and time to set up. If Wallace stays home - he is a good defender BTW - its most likely that Horry misses the shot and Detroit has the inside track to repeat. Better than even chance to win the Finals. Spurs would have had to win both games 6 & 7 to win the Finals. Their mindset after those 3 road loses is tough to calculate. I think they do win both but it wouldn't have surprised me if they don't. Spurs win Title.

2006: Spurs take it all if they beat Dallas. Phoenix was no match for the Spurs that year and neither would the Heat had been. Spurs win Title.

2007: Tough call because I believe that that team had the best chance to beat us but didn't. Even though they had that lead in game 5 and then lost it to us I still think that if there weren't any suspensions then the series goes 7. And as we all know game 7 are always a crap shoot. Still I believe Spurs win Title.

2008: Manu's health vs Bynum's health and his role on the Lakers. If Bynum doesn't get hurt does the Gasol trade ever happen? I'll take a healthy Manu over a healthy Bynum anyday. But the Spurs this year I always felt that something was missing, that killer instinct were they used to grab a team by it's throat and choke the klfe out of them wasn't there. WE gave up leads too many times. Somehow I felt that this year may not happen even though I thought that by some mircale they would gut it out. ????? - Unknown

So my "what if" scenarios give the Spurs 6 Titles in 9 years with two back-to-backs. Absolute dynasty with no discussion to the contrary.

Let any fan from other teams do the same and the Spurs might win one or two if that. We all know about the asterik season and the hipcheck/ We are the Stern's season. So there will be countless other reasons why this team should win and that team shouldn't have.

I guess that's why they play the games. Roll the dice and live with what happens.

Welcome to the offseason vent season. Just wait and when/if Splitter stiffs the Spurs the "what if" Scola scenarios will come pouring in.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-03-2008, 11:17 PM
no shit. it was only 2.5 months ago that this guy was being discussed (by the media, not just spurs fans) as a darkhorse MVP candidate.

then they act like its NORMAL that guys like radmanovic had little trouble guarding him.

Injuries are part of the game, but I don't know why it's so "outrageous" to point out the facts. Manu got screwed by circumstance, and his ankle injury was pretty unique in limiting him. It wasn't sprained, but there was a problem with bone.

I remember Timmy being very limited with his two broken ankles which caused him to shoot a horrible percentage. The only difference is he's a big, and Pop used the injured Timmy well forcing 25-30 shots. (Oh yeah, and Manu was playing at high level to compensate against the defenses)

Manu as a slashing SG didn't have the luxury of adjusting.
I think Pop didn't use him well as well. Manu's offense came as a shooter.
I think both Manu/Pop could have played a smarter game to compensate for his injuries, but he's never encountered this situation in the playoffs.

Living by the three and dying by the three was basically Manu's game.

2005: R. Wallace doesn't double Manu in game 5 thereby leaving Horry open for a 3. Do the Pistons win game 5 and the then the title?
Good point.
Then we would have thrown Timmy under the bus, and used the ankles as an excuse. :lol
I think we didn't utilize our injured team, to adjust better to Manu's ailment.
I mean ,what Barry came in as a spark only til GAME 4?

Benvolio_Montague
06-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Shit. What the fuck do you know anyway.

You don't know shit. You don't know a fucking thing.

KobeOwnsBowen
06-03-2008, 11:36 PM
It's a load of garbage

Agreed. There is a good spurs fan in the bunch. Great post.

davi78239
06-03-2008, 11:41 PM
The "what if" scenarios always happen after a series is over. The Spurs fans have theirs as does every team that loses and goes fishing. Health is a major factor in any run to the championship regardless of what sport being talked about. Manu's health in this series was a critical factor in the Spurs losing but those things happen. If you really want to play the "what if" then consider the following:

1999: Full season and those extra games would have meant more time for other teams to gel and be better going into the playoffs. Sean's 3? Laker's meltdown in game 2 in the 4th Q? Do the Spurs win their first?

2000: TD doesn't have a knee injury - how far do the Spurs go?

2001: Derek Anderson was a critical part of our success that year but got injured in the Dallas series. He was totally ineffective after coming back and trying to play with the injury. How far do the Spurs go with a healthy DA?

2002: DRob injures his back in the last week of the season in Detroit. His mobility is limited. We lead the Lakers in 4 out of 5 games going into the 4th Q but lost the series 4-1. Does Drob's injury have any effect on the outcome of that series?

2003: Lakers were injured at PF for most of the year and therefore Horry plays more (starter) minutes than usual at that position and against a much higher caliber of talant. He's banged up and tired going into the playoffs and dosen't have that extra bit of energy he usually has. He misses the 3 pt shot in game 5 - goes halfway down and then comes out. If made do the Spurs have the same mindset to blow out the Lakers in LA in game 6 and go on to win the title?

2004: .4 - enough said.

2006: Plantar faciatis and Manu's brain fart against Dirk in game 7 vs. Dallas. Do the Spurs go on and win the title?

2007: Horry's hip check - again enough said.

20008: Manu's health.

All "what if" situations that can be debated. Personally I believe the following:

1999: Strike shorten seasons always bring out the "what if" scenarios more than any other ones. A full season means that 32 more games were to be played. Anything could have happened. Injuries to key players is always a possibility. But the Spurs that year were extremely well disciplined and played excellent lockdown D. Most teams got to shootit just once because our defensive rebounding was great. Spurs win Title.

2000: We absolutely get out of the first round and probably face the Lakers in the WCF.
Chances are 50/50 we win.

2001: Lakers and Shaq were playing great and DA would have prevented a sweep but no series win.

2002: Spurs in this one - you don't come back 4 out of 5 games in the 4th Q to beat us. That year those comebacks had to do with second chance points, offensive rebounds and the lack of interior D by the Spurs. A healthy DRob solves all three. Spurs win Title.

2003: 50/50 chance the Spurs lose that series if they lose game 5 in SA. But the Lakers were running on fumes - injuries maybe - Spurs win Title.

2004: 50/50 chance for either team to win the WC. IF Spurs win against LA then they had to play the Timberwolves. That year both teams slugged it out and that series would have been slightly in the Spurs favor but almost too close to call. But Detroit that year was awesome. They were just on a mission. No one beats them that year.

2005: Detroit wins game 5 if Wallace stays at home on Horry. Horry had a clean look and time to set up. If Wallace stays home - he is a good defender BTW - its most likely that Horry misses the shot and Detroit has the inside track to repeat. Better than even chance to win the Finals. Spurs would have had to win both games 6 & 7 to win the Finals. Their mindset after those 3 road loses is tough to calculate. I think they do win both but it wouldn't have surprised me if they don't. Spurs win Title.

2006: Spurs take it all if they beat Dallas. Phoenix was no match for the Spurs that year and neither would the Heat had been. Spurs win Title.

2007: Tough call because I believe that that team had the best chance to beat us but didn't. Even though they had that lead in game 5 and then lost it to us I still think that if there weren't any suspensions then the series goes 7. And as we all know game 7 are always a crap shoot. Still I believe Spurs win Title.

2008: Manu's health vs Bynum's health and his role on the Lakers. If Bynum doesn't get hurt does the Gasol trade ever happen? I'll take a healthy Manu over a healthy Bynum anyday. But the Spurs this year I always felt that something was missing, that killer instinct were they used to grab a team by it's throat and choke the klfe out of them wasn't there. WE gave up leads too many times. Somehow I felt that this year may not happen even though I thought that by some mircale they would gut it out. ????? - Unknown

So my "what if" scenarios give the Spurs 6 Titles in 9 years with two back-to-backs. Absolute dynasty with no discussion to the contrary.

Let any fan from other teams do the same and the Spurs might win one or two if that. We all know about the asterik season and the hipcheck/ We are the Stern's season. So there will be countless other reasons why this team should win and that team shouldn't have.

I guess that's why they play the games. Roll the dice and live with what happens.

Welcome to the offseason vent season. Just wait and when/if Splitter stiffs the Spurs the "what if" Scola scenarios will come pouring in.

Agree with everything except maybe 2000 and 2002. starting with 2000, I think the spurs could of beaten the lakers but would of most likely lost to Portland, which had basically an all-star team that year including a very deep bench (choked against L.A dammit) And in 02, I think Sacramento would of beaten us and should of won the title that year anyway but again (Horry's freakish 3 pointer at the last second makes series 2-2 instead of Sac going up 3-1 with a chance to close out back home).

DazedAndConfused
06-03-2008, 11:45 PM
It's a load of garbage. Whatever happened to losing gracefully. Take a note from your team's head coach and shut the fuck up and accept that the better team won.

Motherfucking sore losers. It's pathetic how low the Spur fanbase has sunk, you are officially worse than the Sun fans of last year. They HAD a legitimate gripe IMHO.

mikekim
06-04-2008, 12:03 AM
You know, I have NO PROBLEM whatsoever with admitting we lost fair and square. Injuries ARE a part of the game, no matter how critical of a factor Manu's injury was.

What annoys me beyond all hell is the media and Laker fans (and non-Spurs fans) refusing or unable to acknowledge that it was a critical factor.

THAT'S why I, for one, bring it up. Yes, health is a huge factor in a championship. But the thickheaded, arrogant ignorance to say that the outcome would've been exactly the same whether we had health or not (for one of our top players) is so ridiculously stupid, I don't even know what to call it.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-04-2008, 12:09 AM
It's a load of garbage. Whatever happened to losing gracefully. Take a note from your team's head coach and shut the fuck up and accept that the better team won.

Motherfucking sore losers. It's pathetic how low the Spur fanbase has sunk, you are officially worse than the Sun fans of last year. They HAD a legitimate gripe IMHO.

You really should STFU and face the fact that you didn't face a fully fit Manu. Have you ever watched him play when healthy? Obviously not if you thought that was a healthy Manu.

At the same time, your team took advantage of his disability, knocked him around, and played just well enough to pull out the close games and win the series. Well done. Doesn't change the fact that that was NOT Manu out there, that was a shadow of Manu.

And I am not making excuses for anything, just explaining one of the reasons the team played so poorly. There were others.

DazedAndConfused
06-04-2008, 12:23 AM
You really should STFU and face the fact that you didn't face a fully fit Manu. Have you ever watched him play when healthy? Obviously not if you thought that was a healthy Manu.

At the same time, your team took advantage of his disability, knocked him around, and played just well enough to pull out the close games and win the series. Well done. Doesn't change the fact that that was NOT Manu out there, that was a shadow of Manu.

And I am not making excuses for anything, just explaining one of the reasons the team played so poorly. There were others.

You need to STFU and face the facts that you didn't face a healthy Andrew Bynum. You didn't face a healthy Trevor Ariza. You didn't face a healthy Kobe Bryant whose fucking pinky isn't about to fall off his hand. That you didn't face a healthy Fisher who has a torn tendon in his foot. That you didn't face a healthy Gasol who is still limited by HIS ankle injury.

STFU about injuries you whiny bitch made pussy, they are part of the game. You think anyone had fucking sympathy for the Lakers in '04 when Malone went down, or what about in '89 when both Magic AND Byron Scott went down with hamstring injuries in the Finals? Every team can make the injury excuse. It's about time you owned up and faced facts, your team just wasn't good enough this year.

KobeOwnsBowen
06-04-2008, 12:28 AM

You should STFU and stop making excuses. You lost. It's over.

K-State Spur
06-04-2008, 12:30 AM

I know. Unfortunately, too many Spurs fans seem to be taking a note from YOUR team's head coach.

ace3g
06-04-2008, 12:42 AM
why do laker fans keep mentioning a healthy Bynum in the same picture with Gasol, its either Bynum or Gasol not both

there are plenty of quotes from Laker management saying they traded for Gasol because of Bynum's season ending injury = If Bynum was healty, Lakers don't make the trade for Gasol, simple as that

Second, Kobe was playing with that pinky injury the entire season, and no his finger was not going to fall off, if that was the case he would have had surgery on it if it was that bad.

Also, you can't compare a pinky injury(which didn't show signs of bothering Kobe the entire season) to an ankle injury that Manu got in the Spurs/Suns playoff series which clearly bothered him in the Laker/Spurs series; which he also didn't get sufficient time to rest prior to that series.

Granted Trevor Ariza was injured but he is no superstar like Manu Ginobili, and I actually liked Ariza and he was one of the FA I wanted the Spurs to sign a few years ago.

The thing is also injuries to Fisher is that he got time to rest prior to the Spurs series even though I didn't see the injury bothering him throughout the playoffs.

You give the Spurs even 2 days rest between the 2 games in LA and 2 games in SA for travel time and there might have been a different result to the series

Here is a compromise for Lakers fans: We (Spurs fans) will say you were the better team because better teams win 7 game series if you (laker fans) admit that you played a Spurs team with an injured Manu Ginobili who was no where near his full potential

Manufan909
06-04-2008, 01:13 AM
why do laker fans keep mentioning a healthy Bynum in the same picture with Gasol, its either Bynum or Gasol not both

there are plenty of quotes from Laker management saying they traded for Gasol because of Bynum's season ending injury = If Bynum was healty, Lakers don't make the trade for Gasol, simple as that

Second, Kobe was playing with that pinky injury the entire season, and no his finger was not going to fall off, if that was the case he would have had surgery on it if it was that bad.

Also, you can't compare a pinky injury(which didn't show signs of bothering Kobe the entire season) to an ankle injury that Manu got in the Spurs/Suns playoff series which clearly bothered him in the Laker/Spurs series; which he also didn't get sufficient time to rest prior to that series.

Granted Trevor Ariza was injured but he is no superstar like Manu Ginobili, and I actually liked Ariza and he was one of the FA I wanted the Spurs to sign a few years ago.

The thing is also injuries to Fisher is that he got time to rest prior to the Spurs series even though I didn't see the injury bothering him throughout the playoffs.

You give the Spurs even 2 days rest between the 2 games in LA and 2 games in SA for travel time and there might have been a different result to the series

Here is a compromise for Lakers fans: We (Spurs fans) will say you were the better team because better teams win 7 game series if you (laker fans) admit that you played a Spurs team with an injured Manu Ginobili who was no where near his full potential

Whoa, don't ask so much of them. They're actually comparing Bynum missing(a great, blossoming center) who is 13 and 10, with Manu, who was third NBA All-Team, 10th in MVP voting, and can play Kobe level in the clutch. But whatever, we lost. Age was a factor, but that was because the FO decided to not make some needed changes. One thing would be dumping Elson, Horry, and Vaughn and looking for some younger guys, as well as giving Bonner minutes. No one can deny he has energy , hustle and leaves it all on the floor, AND he is the only non-French Spur still in his 20's. Neither team was at full strength, but the Spurs played Phoenix and NO. Can any objective NBA fan compare that to Denver and Utah?

Now it's the Lakers turn, since they get to face a team that faced even easier competition, and their numerous losses to crap teams just allowed them to gel.

I know I haven't been hear long enough to really get a read on people, but DAC threw a curve ball on me. I thought he'd be way more chill, but man I was wrong. Dude, just keep putting this:
:whine:whine:whine
Your fav team made it to the Finals, don't stress over what-if scenarios from the losing teams fans, it's what everyone does in this type of situation. Too bad no one on here is really that objective, except the Pistons fans.
:flag:

KobeOwnsBowen
06-04-2008, 02:08 AM
Manu was overachieving all year long. He was due to come back to earth. He is not that great.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-04-2008, 03:07 AM
You need to STFU and face the facts that you didn't face a healthy Andrew Bynum. You didn't face a healthy Trevor Ariza. You didn't face a healthy Kobe Bryant whose fucking pinky isn't about to fall off his hand. That you didn't face a healthy Fisher who has a torn tendon in his foot. That you didn't face a healthy Gasol who is still limited by HIS ankle injury.

STFU about injuries you whiny bitch made pussy, they are part of the game. You think anyone had fucking sympathy for the Lakers in '04 when Malone went down, or what about in '89 when both Magic AND Byron Scott went down with hamstring injuries in the Finals? Every team can make the injury excuse. It's about time you owned up and faced facts, your team just wasn't good enough this year.

:rolleyes

We're not talking about Bynum, everyone knew he wouldn't be playing. Nor are we talking about Ariza or anyone else. We aren't even talking about the series. We are talking about Manu, specifically whether or not the Manu that played in that series was injured to the point where he was not the player he is when not injured. Seemingly, none of you Laker fans can accept that fact.

If he was fully healthy, do we win the series? Who knows? But I do know that if he was healthy it wouldn't have been over in 5. Anyway, that's not what I was talking about.

You seem to think you saw the real Manu when all you saw was a hobbled guy who couldn't do a thing.

No, the Spurs weren't quite good enough this year, I totally accept that and never said otherwise. But don't think you saw anything like the true Manu out there. Want evidence, watch about 80% of the Spurs' games over the last 3 years, the ones in which he isn't hobbled, and you will see a remarkably different player.

Manu was overachieving all year long. He was due to come back to earth. He is not that great.

Yeah, sure. He hasn't carried the Spurs through numerous playoff series and won 3 rings in the process. Sure. Uh-hu. MORON.

You guys seem to think you know something about our team, but you just keep proving that you don't know a damn thing.

DazedAndConfused
06-04-2008, 03:52 AM
:rolleyes

We're not talking about Bynum, everyone knew he wouldn't be playing. Nor are we talking about Ariza or anyone else. We aren't even talking about the series. We are talking about Manu, specifically whether or not the Manu that played in that series was injured to the point where he was not the player he is when not injured. Seemingly, none of you Laker fans can accept that fact.

If he was fully healthy, do we win the series? Who knows? But I do know that if he was healthy it wouldn't have been over in 5. Anyway, that's not what I was talking about.

You seem to think you saw the real Manu when all you saw was a hobbled guy who couldn't do a thing.

No, the Spurs weren't quite good enough this year, I totally accept that and never said otherwise. But don't think you saw anything like the true Manu out there. Want evidence, watch about 80% of the Spurs' games over the last 3 years, the ones in which he isn't hobbled, and you will see a remarkably different player.

Yeah, sure. He hasn't carried the Spurs through numerous playoff series and won 3 rings in the process. Sure. Uh-hu. MORON.

You guys seem to think you know something about our team, but you just keep proving that you don't know a damn thing.

Who the fuck has ever said that Manu was a shitty player? We all KNOW that he was limited in the series. Nobody is debating that. We are also not debating the fact that his injury hurt the Spur's chances of winning.

Spur fan has trouble giving teams their due credit, that is the issue at hand. In '06 it wasn't the Mavericks that outplayed you, it was Manu making a stupid error at the end of the game. In '04 it wasn't the Lakers that outplayed you, it was Derek Fisher hitting a shot that shouldn't have counted. And now in '08 it wasn't that the Lakers outplayed you, it was Joey Crawford making a questionable non-call and Manu Ginobli being injured.

Benvolio_Montague
06-04-2008, 04:19 AM
aEnCucWusyA

Benvolio_Montague
06-04-2008, 04:22 AM
Manu Ginobili was injured. Not an excuse. A fact.

Guajalote
06-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Let's turn the tables here, Lakers fans.

Dazed, I understand your point about fans not wanting to give other teams credit for beating them. Stated as plainly as possible, the Lakers won 4 out of 5 games and were able to defeat the Spurs in the WCF. For whatever reason, Kobe was given the opportunity to stick a knife in our hearts and he did just that. Kudos to the league MVP. The Lakers supporting cast stepped up when needed. The Lakers, again for whatever reason, were the better team in this series. :toast

Now, here's the point that I think needs to be addressed. Suppose (uh oh, not the dreaded "what if") the Lakers would have lost the series. Wouldn't you try to find reasons why your team lost?

I would differentiate between trying to figure out why a series loss happened and whining about fair and unfair, as we claim about many Mavs and Suns fans. I had an earlier post in this thread where I talked about the elements of a championship.

When Spurs fans bring up the Manu ankle injury, I don't think it's necessarily not wanting to give the Lakers the credit for winning. I just think it's a way for a group of fans to try to figure out why we lost, and the dreaded "what if."

My two cents' worth, anyway.

DazedAndConfused
06-04-2008, 10:37 AM
^Bullshit. Mitch Kupchak has stated that he would have done the trade regardless of if Bynum went down or not. Why the hell wouldn't he?

Gasol was never brought in to play C, he is doing so now out of necessity. When Bynum returns Gasol will move to the PF spot.

rascal
06-04-2008, 11:45 AM
listen retards..if Bynum never got injured your team wouldn't have gotten Gasol..boy Laker fans are stupid!

Who said this was true?

DazedAndConfused
06-04-2008, 11:46 AM
shut the fuck you moron! They made the trade because Bynum was injured..damn you are so pathetic that you spend all your free time on a Spurs forum..trying to defend everything and anything that is said about the Lakers.

And the sad thing is you are a Rockets fan:lmao:lmao:lmao

Kupchak pursued Gasol more aggressively when Bynum went down, but he would have made the trade regardless. Again why wouldn't he?

spursfan98
06-04-2008, 12:08 PM
[QUOTE=DazedAndConfused;2576286]Kupchak pursued Gasol more aggressively when Bynum went down, but he would have made the trade regardless. Again why wouldn't he?[/QUOTE

get off the fucking bandwagon

Fake Dynasty
06-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Kobe's been playing since February with an injury that most cats would've shut down their season and had surgery for.... the NBA season is and 82+ game grind if you're lucky. Either you can fuckin' hang or you can't. But you do not bitch about injuries because everybody has knick-knacks by the end of the grind. Spurs fans ceased all that injury talk when Manu went off in game 3, but when the woes resurfaced so did the injury talk. Manu told you brainless fucks that he wasn't hurt and was feeling better everyday. The Spurs lost this series because the Lakers were better on both sides of the ball. The Spurs were good enough to get leads, but when they couldn't keep them, here comes the Manu injury excuse - bullshit. The Spurs NEVER keep a lead and always end up forced to win the game twice just to get the one win. The Lakers were simply cool under pressure. Tim Duncan had 3 monstrous games, Kobe got to the line 11 times over the entire series, The Spurs had two huge leads in separate games.... and we still beat your asses 4-1.

Now shut the fuck up.

TypicalSpursHater
06-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Kobe's been playing since February with an injury that most cats would've shut down their season and had surgery for.... the NBA season is and 82+ game grind if you're lucky. Either you can fuckin' hang or you can't. But you do not bitch about injuries because everybody has knick-knacks by the end of the grind. Spurs fans ceased all that injury talk when Manu went off in game 3, but when the woes resurfaced so did the injury talk. Manu told you brainless fucks that he wasn't hurt and was feeling better everyday. The Spurs lost this series because the Lakers were better on both sides of the ball. The Spurs were good enough to get leads, but when they couldn't keep them, here comes the Manu injury excuse - bullshit. The Spurs NEVER keep a lead and always end up forced to win the game twice just to get the one win. The Lakers were simply cool under pressure. Tim Duncan had 3 monstrous games, Kobe got to the line 11 times over the entire series, The Spurs had two huge leads in separate games.... and we still beat your asses 4-1.

Now shut the fuck up.

What he said ^^^^ :king:king:king:king:king

TMTTRIO
06-04-2008, 03:22 PM
These are highlights of Manu from this year alone. Manu wasn't anywhere near this during the playoffs and it did hurt us:depressed

hnU11V_wSPA

Borosai
06-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Lakers were the most consistent WC team this year, during the regular season and the playoffs: that makes them the better team. Nevertheless, the Spurs could've easily been up 3-1 instead of the Lakers, and the fans know this, so just let it go. 2009 is an odd year!

mikekim
06-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Who the fuck has ever said that Manu was a shitty player? We all KNOW that he was limited in the series. Nobody is debating that. We are also not debating the fact that his injury hurt the Spur's chances of winning.

Yet most of what we are reading from Lakers fans is this:

Manu might have changed the 4-1 to 4-2 but the series was never really in jeopardy after that Game 1 comeback.

Manu just got defense put on him more than anything. Please with all these excuses. The Lakers defense is underrated and was obviously underestimated in it's ability to keep Parker and Ginobili from terrorizing the painted area. The plan was to allow Duncan to do what he could one-on-one, but shut down the paint and not let #9 and #20 control the series. The Machine played solid defense on Manu throughout, keeping him going right. The only game in the series in which Manu was able to consistently get to his left, he scored 30, the Spurs won, and Manu was BACK!!!! Then he got shutdown the rest of the series and suddenly, he's injured again, although he consistently said that he felt better every day and was just playing bad.

Spurs fans are full of shit on this one. Stop it because you look desperate.

Uh no. Watch the series over (if you can bare it) and you'll see that the dude wasn't limited. He was just d'd up.

Spurs fans and their excuses. If you watch game 3, you'll see that although he was hot from the outside, the threat of the drive was the reason he was able to get enough separation to launch. He wasn't that hurt. Spurs fans just want excuses. I call bullshit.

These are just a few...I don't know who you're referring to when you say "we all KNOW," but it looks like more than half of the Laker fans here (and about 95% of Laker fans everywhere) don't know. They just don't know, period.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Thank you mikekim, that is EXACTLY what I was disputing. Those Fakers fans who think it was the defense that stopped him are delusional and have no idea how incredible a fit Ginobili is.

As for Kobe's injury, sure he was beaten up, although clearly not to the extent Manu was because he still had lift and explosion, and could move laterally.

BTW, Manu has been battling injury for most of the season too. He missed a bunch of games just after Christmas with a groin injury I think it was, he sprained his ankle at least 3 times, then did it again in the Hornets' series, and then the finger nail. Add to that the general pounding he takes in every game because he penetrates so much and it's a wonder he can get out of bed in the morning... he is one tough hombre. As is Kobe, no doubt about it. Cheating (in the sexual sense) scumbag he is, but he is also an awesome basketball player, and a tough mofo, no doubt about that.

21_Blessings
06-05-2008, 12:00 AM
Thank you mikekim, that is EXACTLY what I was disputing. Those Fakers fans who think it was the defense that stopped him are delusional and have no idea how incredible a fit Ginobili is.

As for Kobe's injury, sure he was beaten up, although clearly not to the extent Manu was because he still had lift and explosion, and could move laterally.

BTW, Manu has been battling injury for most of the season too. He missed a bunch of games just after Christmas with a groin injury I think it was, he sprained his ankle at least 3 times, then did it again in the Hornets' series, and then the finger nail. Add to that the general pounding he takes in every game because he penetrates so much and it's a wonder he can get out of bed in the morning... he is one tough hombre. As is Kobe, no doubt about it. Cheating (in the sexual sense) scumbag he is, but he is also an awesome basketball player, and a tough mofo, no doubt about that.

Please. Game 1 and game 5 comebacks proved the Lakers can shutdown any team in league when they have too. They've been playing fantastic clutch defense, when it matters, all year. Which is what I said during the season. Before the playoffs. The only delusional people around here were Spurs fans claiming the Lakers couldn't play defense and that they didn't have enough 'championship experience'. :rollin

21_Blessings
06-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Lakers were the most consistent WC team this year, during the regular season and the playoffs: that makes them the better team. Nevertheless, the Spurs could've easily been up 3-1 instead of the Lakers, and the fans know this, so just let it go. 2009 is an odd year!

And the Suns could have easily been up 3-1 on Spurs.

DazedAndConfused
06-05-2008, 12:04 AM
And the Suns could have easily been up 3-1 on Spurs.

Yup. In the words of Mark Jackson Spur fan

YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-05-2008, 12:13 AM
Please. Game 1 and game 5 comebacks proved the Lakers can shutdown any team in league when they have too. They've been playing fantastic clutch defense, when it matters, all year. Which is what I said during the season. Before the playoffs. The only delusional people around here were Spurs fans claiming the Lakers couldn't play defense and that they didn't have enough 'championship experience'. :rollin

Yeah, and why were the Spurs unable to answer those comebacks? A big part of it was fatigue across the whole team from the Hornets series and no rest, but even more important was NO MANU. He is our CLOSER. For the last three seasons, he has been the guy who takes over late in the third quarter, gets to the rack, gets to the line, and generally carries the team to victory. His injuries basically meant we had no closer, and thus the losses in games 1 and 4. In contrast Kobe closed each game beautifully, he was unstoppable.

I am not saying the Fakers don't play good D, but you know what, they weren't playing against the real Manu, that's all I'm trying to get you nonces to understand. I'd love to see how it would've played out if CLOSER MANU had been there, unhampered by injuries.

However, it's done with, and I totally accept that. Injuries are part of the game, and it was a weakness of this Spurs team that they needed Manu to be at his best to beat the Lakers (I even said that before the series a number of times, that I was worried Manu's ill-health would sink our chances). Simply put, no-one else stepped up to fill the void, and that's why your Fakers were the better team this year.

Slippy
06-05-2008, 05:50 AM
double pump reverse dunks = healthy

flat-footed three balls = not healthy

That pretty much highlighted the difference between the two.

If Kobe was injured then the rest of the competition has no hope when he's fully fit.:jack

Fake Dynasty
06-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Bullshit.

30 points in game 3 = Healthy
Under 10 points the rest of the series = Unhealthy

Face it, Spurs fan... Manu just got d'd the fuck up. The Finals start tonight and you muthafuckas still cannot deal in reality.

mikekim
06-05-2008, 01:20 PM

mrspurs
06-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Shit. What the fuck do you know anyway.

You don't know shit. You don't know a fucking thing.

not only dont you know how to express negative reinforcement, you look like one of those looney tooney campus killers....get some help, plx.....go spurs :flag:

romad_20
06-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Bullshit.

Face it, Spurs fan... Manu just got d'd the fuck up. The Finals start tonight and you muthafuckas still cannot deal in reality.

You're fucking retarded, there's not much else to say

SPURSGOAT
06-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Bullshit.

STFU!! Just cuz he had 30 points in one game does not mean he was faking his injury... he was limping around the court and you could tell he was not even 70%... if he was 100% he would have scored about 25 a game... end of story!

peskypesky
06-05-2008, 09:23 PM
With a healthy Manu, Spurs would've beaten these Lakers. But if Bynum had been healthy, well....