PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Contradicts Previous League Statement

GSH
06-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Jackson Contradicts Previous League Statement

Stu Jackson released a statement this morning, in an apparent reversal of the league's previous position regarding the last play of the Western Conference Finals. Jackson, the NBA's Vice President of Basketball Operations, and the head of the Competition Committee which is responsible for rule changes, said the following:

"Upon further review, it is obvious that the officials in Game 4 of the Western Conference Finals acted correctly, and that no foul should have been called on the final play. If the same situation were to occur in next year's playoffs, I would fully expect a similar no-call by the referees.

Furthermore, under next year's rules, Brent Barry's attempt to draw a foul on Derek Fisher would result in a flopping foul being called against Barry. The Lakers would be awarded two free throws and possession of the ball. Brent Barry would be fined and, if enough flopping fouls had been assessed previously, suspended for one game."

David Stern could not be reached for comment, but the Washington Post's Michael Wilbon commented that, "It seems obvious that the league has finally gotten serious about correcting the problems that have been ruining the NBA. The San Antonio Spurs are flat-assed bad for the game of basketball. Whatever rule changes or interpretations it takes, I support them."

Bartleby
06-03-2008, 09:39 AM
This is from the Onion, right?

dougp
06-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Error 404: Funny not found.

Leetonidas
06-03-2008, 09:41 AM
You're kidding, right?

spurs 09
06-03-2008, 09:43 AM

Stu Jackson released a statement this morning, in an apparent reversal of the league's previous position regarding the last play of the Western Conference Finals. Jackson, the NBA's Vice President of Basketball Operations, and the head of the Competition Committee which is responsible for rule changes, said the following:

"Upon further review, it is obvious that the officials in Game 4 of the Western Conference Finals acted correctly, and that no foul should have been called on the final play. If the same situation were to occur in next year's playoffs, I would fully expect a similar no-call by the referees.

Furthermore, under next year's rules, Brent Barry's attempt to draw a foul on Derek Fisher would result in a flopping foul being called against Barry. The Lakers would be awarded two free throws and possession of the ball. Brent Barry would be fined and, if enough flopping fouls had been assessed previously, suspended for one game."

David Stern could not be reached for comment, but the Washington Post's Michael Wilbon commented that, "It seems obvious that the league has finally gotten serious about correcting the problems that have been ruining the NBA. The San Antonio Spurs are flat-assed bad for the game of basketball. Whatever rule changes or interpretations it takes, I support them."

i thought you were going to say that Barry traveled because he did. We got away with one so I guess it worked out the way it was supposed to.

http://i32.tinypic.com/8vvq4m.jpg

GSH
06-03-2008, 09:49 AM
You're kidding, right?

Yeah. But you couldn't quite be certain, could you? I can't wait to see the flop rule in action. I'm not always impressed with the refs' powers of observation, so really doubt we are going to be impressed by their psychic abilities.

porscha
06-03-2008, 09:49 AM
bunch of clowns..
the game is OVER, what are these clowns up to?????

GSH
06-03-2008, 09:51 AM
i thought you were going to say that Barry traveled because he did. We got away with one so I guess it worked out the way it was supposed to.

It's not enough that you keep posting as a fake Spurs fan - you have to keep creating new ID's too? Go the fuck away.

PDXSpursFan
06-03-2008, 12:39 PM

Yes, you're right he traveled. Here is the OFFICIAL NBA statement:

http://www.nba.com/officialstatements?id=11235 (http://www.youfail.org)

kobyz
06-03-2008, 12:46 PM
the foul came before the travel

polandprzem
06-03-2008, 12:58 PM
The more there will be surveillance the worse it can get.

fricking reviews after game is total nonsens IMO.

Like playing last 10,20 or 600 seconds of a game that has ended months ago.

There should be only short reviews at the game. And they should take a look at video more if needed.
People are humans (hehe) and they have right to make mistakes.

btw.We get a chance to play that last possesion once again?

Pucho!!!
06-03-2008, 01:09 PM

Its funny how sumone lands on barry's shoulder, elbow first, and he'd be called for a floppin foul. What about landin on a player? Listen 2 yrs ago, the refs had no prob callin a foul at the last couple seconds on manu, when last time I checked the hand is apart of the ball, so why use that as an excuse again? They sent their agent of destruction (JC) to our game and he fulfilled it. This is BBALL not wrestling...

GSH
06-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Link if true. Otherwise it isn't funny to joke about the bullshit that was game 4's final seconds.

I'll be clear. It's not real.

The joke is that the league has taken steps to make calling the game even more subjective. The leagues statement after game 4 made it clear that the refs have a difficult time deciding whether there is enough contact to call a foul. Now they are going to decide if there is too little contact to cause a player to move backwards.

Or maybe they will be required to determine the player's intentions, i.e. whether or not his intent was to try and draw an undeserved whistle. In which case they will now need to be psychic as well.

The point was that if there was not enough contact to call a foul, and Barry still fell away like he did, couldn't a ref determine that he was trying to flop? Next year could be a complete fiasco. And with all the popular press insisting that the Spurs are the worst culprits....

DMX7
06-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Why bring this up? We got hosed. I don't even want to think about it.

angelbelow
06-04-2008, 03:10 AM
im pretty sure this is a joke..

Benvolio_Montague
06-04-2008, 03:13 AM
3HURJNd0J4U