PDA

View Full Version : Saunders fired as Pistons head coach

xtremesteven33
06-03-2008, 10:54 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/06/03/saunders.pistons.ap/index.html

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) -- The Detroit Pistons say Flip Saunders won't be back next season after leading the team to three straight appearances in the Eastern Conference finals.

President of basketball operations Joe Dumars said Tuesday a change is necessary despite Saunders' successes.

In his three seasons, the Pistons were 176-70 in the regular season and 30-21 in the postseason, but they lost in the conference finals each year.

Saunders had a year left on a four-year deal he signed in 2005. He replaced Larry Brown, who won a title in two trips to the NBA finals.

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

Medvedenko
06-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Wow....I like Flip, but couldn't get them over the hump....maybe Sheed should be traded as well....

monosylab1k
06-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Sheed to the Lakers for Chris Mihm & a 2nd round pick. Sounds fair for a Laker trade.

xtremesteven33
06-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Sheed is going to Miami

Pistons < Spurs
06-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Sheed is going to Miami

I'd bet Charlotte. Re-unite him w/ LB. And Jordan has shown that he likes to draft and acquire North Carolina players.

xtremesteven33
06-03-2008, 11:25 AM
I'd bet Charlotte. Re-unite him w/ LB. And Jordan has shown that he likes to draft and acquire North Carolina players.

you have a very good point.

Medvedenko
06-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Yeah, Sheed needs to go, I think his best years are behind him. It's too bad though as he's a hell of a player and extremely talented.

Beast
06-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Wow....I like Flip, but couldn't get them over the hump....maybe Sheed should be traded as well....

lebomb
06-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Getting to the conference finals is no longer good enough??? LMAO!!!! What do people expect? To win the title EVERY year? I mean.....dayum. 170-70 is not good enough anymore. :rolleyes

xtremesteven33
06-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Getting to the conference finals is no longer good enough??? LMAO!!!! What do people expect? To win the title EVERY year? I mean.....dayum. 170-70 is not good enough anymore. :rolleyes

its not that even. they seem to lose without showing much fight. they have lost to teams that they were the overwhelming favorite to win.

its gotta fall on someone

Marklar MM
06-03-2008, 02:48 PM

He can't control the players. Remember. We fired Carlisle after two 50 win seasons. Fired Brown after 2 finals appearances and a title, albeit there were other issues involved that pretty muched forced the action. This team was going nowhere with Flip as the coach.

Tradition
06-03-2008, 02:52 PM

None of that means a god damn thing if you dont win the championship. That is how it works.

Pistons < Spurs
06-03-2008, 03:57 PM
its not that even. they seem to lose without showing much fight. they have lost to teams that they were the overwhelming favorite to win.
:tu

What I hate, is that the players have up till now at least, avoided the axe and any sense of responsibility for their less then stellar play. It's the players that have played w/ no intensity or hunger. Dumars in his presser today commented that in watching these 2 Conference Finals, the thing that stuck out to him was that all 3 other teams were playing harder than the Pistons.

The biggest problem with this team has been it's attitude. Their arrogance. They simply felt that since they've won a ring, they were good enough to do it whenever they wanted to. They don't play up to their level.

Fire Flip. I'm fine with that. But the blame for lack of effort should always fall on the players IMO. Flip might not be the motivator I wish he was. He might not be the type of coach that all players 'respect', but he's still one of the top 6 or 7 coaches in the L. I don't fire him with the thought that he's the problem. And I don't fire him if Michael Curry is the new guy.

I just want to see the core players be held accountable for their play, and us not to blame the coach for it. Fat Cat Cadillac mentality is what's done us in. And that comes from the players.

lefty
06-03-2008, 04:01 PM
I hope Joe Dumars hires JVG

He would be a perfect fit

Pistons < Spurs
06-03-2008, 04:12 PM
I hope Joe Dumars hires JVG

He would be a perfect fit

He said he'll talk to Curry, Porter and Avery.

But the belief is that Curry has the job.

lefty
06-03-2008, 04:54 PM
He said he'll talk to Curry, Porter and Avery.

But the belief is that Curry has the job.

Michael Curry?

Not a bad idea, he was a defensive minded player

JamStone
06-03-2008, 05:10 PM

How would you feel about the Spurs leadership, management and coaching if their last championship was 2003 but everything else was the same except they lost either in the WCF or NBA Finals in 2005 and last year?

Pistons < Spurs
06-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Michael Curry?

Not a bad idea, he was a defensive minded player

It's an interesting idea.

I can't flat out say it's a bad idea I guess. But since he has no track record, it's tough to say. A first time coach, with only 1 year as an assistant worries me.

Plus the fact that he's played with some of these guys worries me. Will they look at him as the coach, or the guy who they used to hang with?

And who does he take on as assistants? Most experienced coaches have assistants in mind that they've worked with in the past. Assistants that they know follow their own personality and philosophy, their demeanor. They know they can work with them.

And remembering Curry the player,and his 4.5 career points per game, I dread seeing the offense he sets into motion!

This sounds awfully risky IMO.

NBA Junkie
06-03-2008, 06:21 PM
How would you feel about the Spurs leadership, management and coaching if their last championship was 2003 but everything else was the same except they lost either in the WCF or NBA Finals in 2005 and last year?

Yet, it's funny how a coach like Jerry Sloan still has a coaching job despite never winning an NBA title in his 20 seasons as Jazz coach.

If he was doing this in a larger market and not Salt Lake City, they would have called for his head over 15 years ago.

~~~~~~
06-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Saunder is like 0-4 in Conference Finals.

lefty
06-03-2008, 06:44 PM
It's an interesting idea.

I can't flat out say it's a bad idea I guess. But since he has no track record, it's tough to say. A first time coach, with only 1 year as an assistant worries me.

Plus the fact that he's played with some of these guys worries me. Will they look at him as the coach, or the guy who they used to hang with?

And who does he take on as assistants? Most experienced coaches have assistants in mind that they've worked with in the past. Assistants that they know follow their own personality and philosophy, their demeanor. They know they can work with them.

And remembering Curry the player,and his 4.5 career points per game, I dread seeing the offense he sets into motion!

This sounds awfully risky IMO.

The solution is simple : name Saunders as his assistant coach :D

sickdsm
06-03-2008, 08:46 PM
I called that when he was hired.

I wish McHale could have done that years ago.