PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever attended a Latin Mass?

BeateMariae
06-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Any of you older pups remember the Mass, pre-Vatican? It's baaaaack!

St. Pius X on Harry Wurzbach has a Latin Mass every Sunday at Noon.

I've been a few times, loving it. Just giving a shout out.

JoeChalupa
06-03-2008, 11:47 AM
I do and have.

Don Quixote
06-03-2008, 11:49 AM
No, never been to one. I went to English masses during my years as a Catholic. I'm Baptist now, so I don't go to Masses often. I'd love to check one out, though, mainly for historical reasons.

So, what do you get out of the Latin Mass?

BeateMariae
06-03-2008, 11:54 AM
So, what do you get out of the Latin Mass?

The reverence and solemnity are refreshing. It's a more contemplative experience. Also been called the 'Quiet Mass' as there are lots of periods of silence when the priest recites parts of the liturgy silently in Latin.

And historically, it's the liturgy that has been used in the Catholic Church for about 1,500 years, before Vatican II

Don Quixote
06-03-2008, 11:56 AM
I agree that it's a work of beauty. A valid criticism of 20th century Christianity is its relative lack of beauty, and I can see how many Catholics (young ones!) would want to see this historically relevant, beautiful service.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-03-2008, 11:57 AM
it's quite a workout
sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray. sit. stand. kneel. pray.

BeateMariae
06-03-2008, 12:12 PM
LOL Viva....indeed.

A little sampling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyE1gZjrGvE

BeateMariae
06-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Not to sidetrack my own thread here, but Viva, see you play drums? What kind of kit you got? Thinking of going electronic...the Roland HD-1 for budget reasons, but not a bad kit....

JoeChalupa
06-03-2008, 12:46 PM
:lmao

CosmicCowboy
06-03-2008, 03:34 PM
I was best man at a wedding in the 70's that had a full latin mass. It was awful. I had to stand through the whole thing, my leg went to sleep, and by the time it was over I had to pee like a racehorse.