PDA

View Full Version : Shaq is coming to your favorite NBA team soon!

Lakers_55
06-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Let's have a little fun here. Shaq went to Phoenix where his goal was to win an NBA title. It didn't happen, but it was within some reason that it might have. A few breaks against SA in the first two games and who knows? He pretty much has one shot in the tank left, owning to his and Nash's age. Chances are it won't happen in Phoenix, but it is possible if Phoenix figures out how to advance with him. Limit his minutes, etc... So what does the future have?

And the Suns were taking on a contract that pays O’Neal $20 million each of the next two seasons.

Now, what team in their right mind would want to pay mega bucks for an even older and slower Shaq? None! This leaves the Big Cactus with two choices: Retire or take the mid-level exception and try one more time elsewhere. But where? Most of you will probably say, I don't want him, no way! However, if Shaq did come to your team and won a title with you, you would change your mind.

I am in no way saying Shaq will dominate. It's all going to be about his new role wherever he may go. A couple of examples...In the early 70's, the Chicago Bulls rotated two centers; Tom Boerwinkle and Clifford Ray, each getting about equal minutes. Bob "Butterbean" Love and Jerry Sloan rounded out this fine team. Ray went to the Warriors a few years later and helped Golden State win it's first title. The Phoenix Suns fielded a couple of centers in this time span as well. They alternated with Neal Walk and Otto Moore. Plus, they had Mel Counts and Connie Hawkins who could play forward/center. They weren't too shabby either.

Ok, back to Shaq's new role. He could be a bench player, stepping in about half the game, and when certain matchups are required. His minutes are limited, and with proper conditioning, he could have an impact. Some games he will be needed more, some less. Must teach him to step out on the pick-and-roll though!

I added at least twice in other threads in Spurs section about Shaq joining SA this way. No one discussed it, so let's expand to include him going anywhere in the whole league!

I'll make a case for several teams, based on where they are now. If I didn't add your favorite team, this is a message board, so make a case for or against! Of course 2009 is far away, but let's get the topic going now....

San Antonio Spurs: The logic here is Shaq is an SA boy. Why not come back to his hometown? He doesn't want to fall behind Duncan in titles, and he wants another. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! Twin towers with Duncan could mean a return to the days of Tim and David. I'll let Spurs fans speculate how Shaq could help or hurt the team.

Los Angeles Lakers: Do we want him back? Only on our terms! Shaq goes to bench. He comes in as a reserve, spelling Bynum, Gasol, and Odom in the rotation. Lakers get to have twin towers playing time with Shaq and Andrew.

Cleveland Cavaliers: Maybe he is the piece the Cavs can step to the next level with. Shaq and LeBron is a marquee draw. Twin towers with Ilgauzkus would work, the latter can shoot from outside.

Orlando Magic: Where it all started. He could have fun mentoring Dwight Howard and doing more Twin Towers stuff.

New Orleans Hornets: Well, Shaq is an LSU boy. He could rotate with Tyson Chandler, giving the bench a bit more depth. This also gives the hornets a big 3, kind of.

Portland Trailblazers: Gee, twin towers with Greg Oden! The rest of the team is young and good. who knows?

Detroit Pistons: They are getting old, but they haven't faded yet. Worth a shot in a year perhaps?

Boston Celtics: If their big 3 is still together, why not try for a big and old 4?

Utah Jazz: Off the bench. Shaq fits into Jerry Sloan's physical style of Basketball.

Dallas Mavericks: Dirk, Jason, and Shaq. Another old big 3. who knows? I remember when Shaq was on the trading block in 2004, Dallas was a team he would agree to play for. Seems like perhaps the Mavs offered Dirk and Steve straight up for him, but I can't verify it. Lakers nixed it because they wanted Shaq out of the west. Stupid not to make that trade, that would have been in the Lakers favor.

Houston Rockets: Shaq, Yao, and T-Mac...hmmmm.....

Phoenix Suns: Ok, if no one else wants him, he can stick around for another year. Cap space is freed up to get another free agent, and maybe Steve and Amare can both still perform well....

Ok, rememember, getting Shaq in the manner described doesn't guarantee a title. It could also mean disaster. So, time for you to all sound off!

xtremesteven33
06-03-2008, 12:01 PM
pretty interesting. for some odd reason i could see him back in LA. or i could see him retiring as soon as his contract is up

gaKNOW!blee
06-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Good post. However I see him staying in PHX, I just dont know if Shaq is at the point in his career anymore that he is that one peice that can win a title.

CubanMustGo
06-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Shaq:

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/parts/amc_low_fuel_gas_gauge.jpg

BlackSwordsMan
06-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if Cuban took him