06-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Not Spurs related, but its offseason.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3423956

polandprzem
06-03-2008, 12:07 PM
If it's not spurs related then basketball centras

as simple as that

But wow :wow

I accualy think that he did a great job this year.
Imagine Avery coaching Detroit

Mulletino
06-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Send his ass to Phoenix. He'll fit in perfect there. They both get to the playoffs and lose.

Pistons < Spurs
06-03-2008, 12:15 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98049

Pistons < Spurs
06-03-2008, 12:16 PM
I don't mind Flip being fired if they're going to bring in a better option .... but Michael Curry is not a good replacement IMO.

lefty
06-03-2008, 12:47 PM
As I said, just for the Offense.
Flip apparently doesn't care about playoffs D (I emphazise playoffs, because Pistons have good defensive stats in the regular season, but in the playoffs it's not so great honestly).

However, on the offensive end, Flip must have the thickest playbook of the League.

I know, he's a head coach, but we've seen some people who went from head coach to assistants (Doug Moe, PJ Carlessimo)

What do you think ?????

SenorSpur
06-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Pass.

Besides, he's got 1 year left on his deal. So he doesn't necessarily have to get a job now. When he's ready, I'm sure he'll be looking for a head coaching job somewhere.

xtremesteven33
06-03-2008, 12:50 PM
i dont know. it would be great for the spurs, but i highly doubt it. i think hell go for the suns job first. hopefully pop can sway him to the spurs assistant line.

Marcus Bryant
06-03-2008, 12:55 PM
If Mike Bud goes to Phoenix, AJ goes to SA.

Pistons < Spurs
06-03-2008, 01:02 PM
i dont know. it would be great for the spurs, but i highly doubt it. i think hell go for the suns job first. hopefully pop can sway him to the spurs assistant line.

He might not make himself available to the Suns as Terry Porter (his top assistant the last 3 years) is one of the front runners to get that job.

I suspect he'd sit out this year, collect his $5million from us, and wait till next year for a HC position.

Bito Corleone
06-03-2008, 01:03 PM
It's about fucking time...

Flip has been a great regular season coach, but when it comes to the playoffs e ranks among the worst ever. He can't make adjustments and he doesn't have the respect of his players. I said from the day that Flip was hired there that the Pistons would never win anything with him as their coach.

dbreiden83080
06-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Not a Flip fan

41times
06-03-2008, 01:05 PM
I guess 3-4 years to win a title is all the time you get in pro sports nowadays?
I am sort of surprised but not shocked though. I'll bet Phoenix snaps him up quick.

Flip Saunders fired by Pistons By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer
1 hour, 27 minutes ago

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - Flip Saunders was fired as Detroit Pistons coach Tuesday, four days after his team was eliminated by the Boston Celtics in the Eastern Conference finals.

ADVERTISEMENT

President of basketball operations Joe Dumars said it's "time for a new voice to lead our team." Saunders had a year left on a four-year deal he signed in 2005. The decision comes three years after Saunders took over for Larry Brown, who led the Pistons to two straight NBA finals.

"Decisions like this are difficult to make, especially with the success we have had throughout the last three regular seasons," Dumars said in a statement. "However, at this time, I feel it is necessary to make a change."

A message left for Saunders was not immediately returned. Dumars was to speak Tuesday at the team's practice facility.

Assistant coach Michael Curry appears to be the leading candidate to replace Saunders. Other possible candidates include Detroit assistant coach Terry Porter and former Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson.

In Saunders' three seasons, the Pistons were 176-70 in the regular season and 30-21 in the postseason, but they lost in the Eastern Conference finals each year.

The Pistons have appeared in six straight conference finals, the first franchise to do so since the Los Angeles Lakers in the 1980s. But they also are the second team in league history to lose in the round before the NBA finals three years in a row, joining the Celtics from 1953-55.

Dumars decided a year ago to bring back key players who have been together since the 2004 championship season, as well as Saunders, while infusing energy with rookies and young reserves. But after the loss in Game 6 of the East finals to Boston on Friday, the likelihood of change grew.

Before coming to Detroit, Saunders was 411-326 with the Minnesota Timberwolves from 1995-05. He led them to eight straight postseason appearances — seven first-round exits and an appearance in the 2004 conference finals. After leading Minnesota to a franchise-high 58 wins, he was fired with a 25-26 mark in the 2004-05 season.

dbreiden83080
06-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Pistons are in transition, that core group i think has run it's course in terms of trying to win a title. Supposedly Sheed may be gone.

Allanon
06-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Only in Detroit and Seattle do you get fired after making the Conference Finals. I think that's it for that core group as well. Probably 2 out of 4 will be gone next year...at least 1 for sure.

MoSpur
06-03-2008, 01:19 PM
I can see AJ in Detroit.

Pistons < Spurs
06-03-2008, 01:22 PM
I can see AJ in Detroit.

:vomit:

ducks
06-03-2008, 01:24 PM
If Mike Bud goes to Phoenix, AJ goes to SA.

yeah aj will give up 12 million
and take 1 or 2 million at most for asssistant coach:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

kobyz
06-03-2008, 01:27 PM
AJ will coach the pistons for sure

Pistons < Spurs
06-03-2008, 01:34 PM
AJ will coach the pistons for sure

Very seriously doubt it. Michael Curry is being talked about as the guy. After he was brought in last year to be an assistant, it's been said that he's being groomed to take over the show.

Allanon
06-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Very seriously doubt it. Michael Curry is being talked about as the guy. After he was brought in last year to be an assistant, it's been said that he's being groomed to take over the show.

That sounds like getting ready for the lottery to me.

1Parker1
06-03-2008, 02:10 PM
I thought he did a great job of coaching the Pistons this season. He learned from his mistakes the previous year and gave his rookies a chance to build and that's why the Pistons even had a bench this year.

He's probably not the best at game to game adjustments and he doesn't exactly seem to me like a motivator to me and Im not sure guys like Sheed and Rip ever tuned him in...

FromWayDowntown
06-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Fire Pop!!

MoSpur
06-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Either AJ or Curry. Porter might want to stay there.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-03-2008, 02:33 PM

Flip has been a great regular season coach, but when it comes to the playoffs e ranks among the worst ever. He can't make adjustments and he doesn't have the respect of his players. I said from the day that Flip was hired there that the Pistons would never win anything with him as their coach.

Yeah, definitely didn't have the respect from the players, that Larry Brown gained from the Pistons crew. I remember a account of Wallace cutting a crucial play from the coach where they lost to Lebron's 50 point game 5 in 2007.

I don't see how it's relevant if he got an assisting position to the Spurs though. Didn't Flip really turn around the Pistons offense? Rather, implement a whole new offense for the Larry Brown non-existent offense prior?
I'd like to see him balance out Pop possibly..

Spurs Brazil
06-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Saunders sucks

Pistons wasted 3 years with him

florige
06-03-2008, 02:40 PM

I can see maybe after last year with their meltdown against the Cavs. But losing this year to Boston was almost a given as stacked as that team is. They might as well had let him finish out his year. I don't know who else out there who might be a suitable replacement.

Pistons < Spurs
06-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Chicago might be the best destination for him. In Phoenix, he'd have to deal w/ Shaq and Amare. And after having Sheed for the last 3 years, he might not be so anxious to surround himself with personalities such as theirs.

Brutalis
06-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Meltdown against the Cavs? More think the Cavs got breast fed.

Firing Flip was not the key. I am not going to argue anyone, but when I go posting stats and records next year and the year after you'll understand.

Sportcamper
06-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Dumb move...Flip was great these past two seasons...

spursfan98
06-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Flip is a curse! I feel sorry for whoever will hire him if he even does

lefty
06-03-2008, 03:59 PM

You must really hate the Pistons :D

spursfan98
06-03-2008, 04:02 PM

:lol funny. He took a team that went to the finals back to back and couldnt get them back.

lefty
06-03-2008, 04:07 PM
I hope Dtroit hires JVG

Perfect fit

spursfan98
06-03-2008, 04:09 PM
if they wanna have a shot at a title they need Terry Porter

Pistons < Spurs
06-03-2008, 04:24 PM
:lol funny. He took a team that went to the finals back to back and couldnt get them back.

The players lack of hunger and intensity have nothing to do with that?

FromWayDowntown
06-03-2008, 06:14 PM
You are a Moron!!!

I was kidding!!!!

spursfan98
06-03-2008, 06:21 PM
[QUOTE=Pistons < Spurs;2574625]The players lack of hunger and intensity have nothing to do with that?[/QUOTE

Yes. Coaching has a big deal with the locker room/lack of hunger and intensity

Southwest Texas Fan
06-03-2008, 07:04 PM
You are a Moron!!!

I think he was joking.

Ocotillo
06-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Radio reports I heard today listed Curry, Terry Porter and A.J. as the likely candidates to replace Flip.

I don't think Flip would join a team as an assistant especially with a paycheck coming in, he will be TV bound for the upcoming season.

If Coach Bud goes to Phoenix, I wonder who we would hire?

Marcus Bryant
06-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Radio reports I heard today listed Curry, Terry Porter and A.J. as the likely candidates to replace Flip.

I don't think Flip would join a team as an assistant especially with a paycheck coming in, he will be TV bound for the upcoming season.

If Coach Bud goes to Phoenix, I wonder who we would hire?

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050422/050422_avery_johnson_vmed.widec.jpg

Next question.

Ocotillo
06-03-2008, 07:14 PM
^^ I think A.J. will land a head coaching job yet.

spursfan98
06-03-2008, 07:48 PM
^^ I think A.J. will land a head coaching job yet.

I hope he doesnt. and i hope the suns take bud so we can have AJ! Then he can take over for Pop when he retires

angelbelow
06-03-2008, 08:13 PM
not surprising, what was surprising is that they hired him. a few people mentioned aj there, that would be an awesome fit imo. good call on that one.

ducks
06-03-2008, 08:14 PM
I hope he doesnt. and i hope the suns take bud so we can have AJ! Then he can take over for Pop when he retires

if he gets hired he loses 12 million
spurs are not going to give him 4 million a year to be pop's assistant:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Avitus1
06-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Wow.... didn't see that coming.

mytespurs
06-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Reaction: why am I not surprised about this? I figured his time was up..........

Didn't Flip Saunders coach the Timberwolves when Garnett was there? He didn't last too long there either did he?

spursfan98
06-04-2008, 01:46 AM
if he gets hired he loses 12 million
spurs are not going to give him 4 million a year to be pop's assistant:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

no shit i didnt say it was going 2 happen but it would be nice

1Parker1
06-04-2008, 01:55 AM
What are the open coaching jobs left? Pheonix and Detroit?

Bucks-Scott Skiles
Knicks-Mike D'Antoni
Bulls-Doug Collins (reportedly)
Dallas-Rick Carlisle
Heat-That Asian Guy

:wow Man, there were a lot of coaching vacancies this year...

1Parker1
06-04-2008, 01:56 AM
As for Flip, I thought he deserved the boot after last postseason's meltdown against Lebron and Cleveland which could have been avoided if he made some adjustments on his defense against him.

This year though, I blame the players and Boston just played better than them when it counted most.