PDA

View Full Version : NBA Finals pre-game 1 ceremony : how long in your opinion?

lefty
06-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Oh man, expect all the Lakers-Celtics old farts to be present at the Garden for a long pre-game ceremony.
Expect old videos to be shown on the jumbotron.

It will be fucking annoying

BiZNicK
06-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Yea this is getting beyond ridiculous. Media trying too hard to start shit between these two teams. Face it, the old Lakers-Celtics rivalry is GONE. In today's news, these have nothing that even comes close to a rivalry.

Well, that's what happens when you have today's two biggest bandwagon teams in the finals....

shelshor
06-03-2008, 02:56 PM
pre-game 1 ceremony : how long in your opinion?
Too Damn

J.T.
06-03-2008, 03:00 PM
There definitely needs to be an hour long highlight film of Doc Rivers as a Spur.

xtremesteven33
06-03-2008, 03:06 PM
i wouldve like to have seen Kobe vs Lebron a whole lot more.

lets see something fresh and a modern day rivalry. not try to revive something from the dead.

J.T.
06-03-2008, 03:17 PM
i wouldve like to have seen Kobe vs Lebron a whole lot more.

lets see something fresh and a modern day rivalry. not try to revive something from the dead.

Kobe vs LeBron would be a guaranteed sweep for the Lakers. Pass.

Medvedenko
06-03-2008, 03:18 PM
There is no rivalry at this point. However, the story lines are crazy.

Can Kobe win without Shaq
Phil going for his 10th ring
Lakers VS Celtics
14 Rings for Lakers vs 16 for the Celtics
Big 3 for Celtics ringless at this point
Doc Rivers, never won a ring as a player or coach
Ray Alllen vs Kobe (longstanding feud)
KG cementing his legacy

Yup, tons of story lines but that's because the lakers and celtics have won 30 of the last 60 titles. Of course there's going to be hype. You don't have to buy it, and don't watch, because plenty of people will be tuning in.

xtremesteven33
06-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Kobe vs LeBron would be a guaranteed sweep for the Lakers. Pass.

idk....lebron is a beast. spurs swept lebron cause they played excellent defense. lakers dont play good defense, plus lebron has always OWNED kobe

xtremesteven33
06-03-2008, 03:19 PM

Lakers VS Celtics
KG cementing his legacy

Yup, tons of story lines but that's because the lakers and celtics have won 30 of the last 60 titles. Of course there's going to be hype. You don't have to buy it, and don't watch, because plenty of people will be tuning in.

i think spurs vs celtics wouldve been a whole lot better.

Medvedenko
06-03-2008, 03:20 PM
idk....lebron is a beast. spurs swept lebron cause they played excellent defense. lakers dont play good defense, plus lebron has always OWNED kobe

Yeah, we have shitty defense, just like the Spurs had a shitty offence to go with their crappy defense. Look everyone, I can be a retard too.....please.

Medvedenko
06-03-2008, 03:21 PM
i think spurs vs celtics wouldve been a whole lot better.

Really...why....please enlighten me.

J.T.
06-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Celtics vs Lakers has everything the NBA needs to make a fuckton of money on the Finals. Boston and LA are the best two teams left. Even if Spurs fans think the Spurs should have made it, just like 2006 age and injuries caught up to us at the wrong time. I don't know if we'd be able to win in Boston and hold serve at home too since Boston was another team that was able to come back from 20 points to beat the Spurs.

Let the league have their dream matchup. The Lakers will be back in the mix next year while the Celtics won't. This Celtics team is all about winning now.

xtremesteven33
06-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Really...why....please enlighten me.

first of all, the Lakers are a good team, and i dont hate so dont get all wet about what i say. im just looking at this from my perspective and hopefully from TRUE basketball fans perspectives. this whole "lakers vs celtics" thing is not for basketballs sake but for moneys sake. every idiot knows that. if we want to see a true basketball game played, i think spurs vs celtics wouldve given that for sure.

(Garnett vs Duncan)-two of the best PFs of this generation finally going at it for the first time for all the glory. this is a much better match up than Kobe vs Kevin.

(Modern dynasty vs Old dynasty)- it wouldve has that classic rivalry feeling to it for the fact that these two franchises are a few that have won more than 3 titles in its history.

there also wouldve been some better storylines such as, can the spurs finally repeat? or will garnett finally prove himself by beating Tim Duncan in the Finals.
I believe that every TRUE sports fan would love to see a modern dynasty in the making. the spurs had it going and to face the celtics in the Finals having to go thru the toughest playoff road in NBA history(yes i said it, and its true) would be just epic.

Lakers vs Celtics have nothing really to offer besides trying to revive something thats been dead for so long and the only reason it was great in the 80's was cause it was Bird vs Magic and not franchise vs franchise. Bird vs Magic was monumental but this years match-up is childs play in comparison.

Lakers got lucky they caught the Spurs when they were dead tired. if we had played them in the first round we wouldve killed them. and you can take that to the bank.

Medvedenko
06-03-2008, 03:39 PM
first of all, the Lakers are a good team, and i dont hate so dont get all wet about what i say. im just looking at this from my perspective and hopefully from TRUE basketball fans perspectives. this whole "lakers vs celtics" thing is not for basketballs sake but for moneys sake. every idiot knows that. if we want to see a true basketball game played, i think spurs vs celtics wouldve given that for sure.

(Garnett vs Duncan)-two of the best PFs of this generation finally going at it for the first time for all the glory. this is a much better match up than Kobe vs Kevin.

(Modern dynasty vs Old dynasty)- it wouldve has that classic rivalry feeling to it for the fact that these two franchises are a few that have won more than 3 titles in its history.

there also wouldve been some better storylines such as, can the spurs finally repeat? or will garnett finally prove himself by beating Tim Duncan in the Finals.
I believe that every TRUE sports fan would love to see a modern dynasty in the making. the spurs had it going and to face the celtics in the Finals having to go thru the toughest playoff road in NBA history(yes i said it, and its true) would be just epic.

Lakers vs Celtics have nothing really to offer besides trying to revive something thats been dead for so long and the only reason it was great in the 80's was cause it was Bird vs Magic and not franchise vs franchise. Bird vs Magic was monumental but this years match-up is childs play in comparison.

Lakers got lucky they caught the Spurs when they were dead tired. if we had played them in the first round we wouldve killed them. and you can take that to the bank.

All of those are great stories, but too bad they get trumped by every storyline I already covered. Oh, and there's a reason the Spurs were tired...because they are old. It's not the Lakers's fault that the majority of the Spur players couldn't handle the stress.

xtremesteven33
06-03-2008, 03:42 PM
All of those are great stories, but too bad they get trumped by every storyline I already covered. Oh, and there's a reason the Spurs were tired...because they are old. It's not the Lakers's fault that the majority of the Spur players couldn't handle the stress.

yea ur right the spurs are older. but the lakers themselves were not the better team when it comes to talent and team chemistry or team defense OR coaching. (pop is just as good as phil)

the spurs got fatigued cause they had the hardest road of all the playoff teams and they got tired. ur right, they beat them fair. but its a shame knowing the spurs had nothing left in the tank.

lefty
06-03-2008, 03:56 PM

Lakers VS Celtics
KG cementing his legacy

KG has a legacy ???? :wtf

lefty
06-03-2008, 03:57 PM
There definitely needs to be an hour long highlight film of Doc Rivers as a Spur.

:lol

Medvedenko
06-03-2008, 04:00 PM
KG has a legacy ???? :wtf

Yeah, the legacy of failing in the playoffs and if he wins then it will justify a lot, especially for the haters. I hope he does win really. I know if he does than the Lakers lose, oh well.

lefty
06-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Yeah, the legacy of failing in the playoffs and if he wins then it will justify a lot, especially for the haters. I hope he does win really. I know if he does than the Lakers lose, oh well.

KG is a fantastic player.

Too bad he acts like a punk sometimes.

If Celtics win, I'll be more happy for Pierce.

Medvedenko
06-03-2008, 04:08 PM
KG is a fantastic player.

Too bad he acts like a punk sometimes.

If Celtics win, I'll be more happy for Pierce.

As much as I would like to see the Lakers win I believe they'll have a good shot the next few years. Boston on the other hand, may not given the ageo of their players. It would be cool to see KG, Allen, and Pierce get rings.

Spurminator
06-03-2008, 04:24 PM
NBA Finals pre-game 1 ceremony : how long in your opinion?

Let's see, if tip-off is at 8:15 EST on Thursday, that means the pre-game ceremony would be abouuuuut... 4 months long?

Spurminator
06-03-2008, 04:25 PM
dbl post

struggling

Slomo
06-03-2008, 04:55 PM
pre-game 1 ceremony : how long in your opinion?
Too Damn

:lmao

I can't imagine what the media frenzy is right now, but I'm happy I'm missing it.

Bob Lanier
06-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Over under on Garnett screeches in the Jumbotron video set at 3.5.

gmartin02
06-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Let's see, if tip-off is at 8:15 EST on Thursday, that means the pre-game ceremony would be abouuuuut... 4 months long?That's why I am going to start recording the game on my DVR - when my wife sees the game is in progress she can start watching the recording, fast forward to the beginning of the actual game, queue it up for me and I can catch up to "real time" on the first commercial break or two...

The miracles of modern technology (and a cooperative wife).

Spur-Addict
06-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Let's see, if tip-off is at 8:15 EST on Thursday, that means the pre-game ceremony would be abouuuuut... 4 months long?

:lmao....That's so true. Oh man, that was really good man. :lmao

E20
06-03-2008, 07:19 PM
They interviewd Larry Bird and he doesn't give a jack shit about this and he said he will not attend any games because he doesn't care.

J.T.
06-03-2008, 07:27 PM
They interviewd Larry Bird and he doesn't give a jack shit about this and he said he will not attend any games because he doesn't care.

Good for Larry. Outside of modding the CBA and allowing the Lakers and Celtics to resign Bird and Magic for one last go at it in the Finals, I'm sure Stern was hoping to get those two together for endless interviews and retrospectives. Hell I bet the NBA would offer them to call all the games too.

Tradition
06-03-2008, 07:36 PM

Ill say this much. IF the Lakers do lose this series, I would be ok with Boston being the champs. I have always been a huge KG fan and I really liked this Celts team the minute that KG trade happened in August.

However until that time, I am not pulling for KG to win a ring. I want title #15 and I am ready to begin our dynasty this year. The Lakers came this far so anything less than a championship means we achieved as much as the other 28 teams achieved this season.

duncan228
06-03-2008, 07:42 PM

Do you have a link? Or where you saw it? I'm a Bird fan, I'd like to hear what he thinks. It sure sounds like him. :lol

E20
06-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Do you have a link? Or where you saw it? I'm a Bird fan, I'd like to hear what he thinks. It sure sounds like him. :lol

I tried searching for a link on ESPN, but it was on after Cold Pizza it looked like the local Indiana media was interviewing him and asked him what were his thoughts and he said he has no part of that rivarly anymore and he is not going to attend any games, because he is busy with some work in Indy.

duncan228
06-03-2008, 08:24 PM
...because he is busy with some work in Indy.

And if he wasn't I'm sure he'd find something to keep him busy. :lol

I've always loved Bird, he's the reason I'm an NBA fan.

Thanks for the info E20, appreciate it. :)

DazedAndConfused
06-03-2008, 08:25 PM
I already can't stand the media coverage this is getting and I'm a Laker fan.

This is what happens when you get a BOS team in any professional sport championship. Total cock sucking from ESPN to Beantown to drive up ratings.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Minimum 45 minutes.

lefty
06-03-2008, 09:21 PM

Larry is the man :tu

Sounds like Pop :lol

Avitus1
06-03-2008, 10:28 PM
It will be retarded but I bet those video packages will be the big pay off they've probably been sitting on them since April.

der Kaiser
06-04-2008, 05:35 AM
Yea this is getting beyond ridiculous. Media trying too hard to start shit between these two teams. Face it, the old Lakers-Celtics rivalry is GONE. In today's news, these have nothing that even comes close to a rivalry.

Well, that's what happens when you have today's two biggest bandwagon teams in the finals....

Dude, why is it gone? Because the players are different?

Its not about the players its about the shirts, the shirts make the rivalry. Thats the problem with the American fan, they focus to goddam much on the back of the shirts rather than the front.

The Lakers and the Celtics have played 11 times in the finals and are the two most succesful franchises in the league. This series means something.

If you read the "last season" in the beginning Jerry Buss tells Phil "I'd like to win two more championships, that would tie us with the Celtics."

The players dont make rivalries, the fans, the jerseys and history make rivalries.

endrity
06-04-2008, 05:48 AM
Dude, why is it gone? Because the players are different?

Its not about the players its about the shirts, the shirts make the rivalry. Thats the problem with the American fan, they focus to goddam much on the back of the shirts rather than the front.

The Lakers and the Celtics have played 11 times in the finals and are the two most succesful franchises in the league. This series means something.

If you read the "last season" in the beginning Jerry Buss tells Phil "I'd like to win two more championships, that would tie us with the Celtics."

The players dont make rivalries, the fans, the jerseys and history make rivalries.

Not in US sports they don't. In order to have rivalries teams have to play in the playoffs a couple of times, and if they don't, they simply die out. There is not a continuity in the rosters, or some sort of socio-political rivarly going on in the US like it often happens in Europe, especially soccer.

Think about it, Pierce grew up as a Laker fan, yet he gets drafted without him having a say from the team he used to hate. Can you ever immagine Raul playing for Barca, Totti playing for Lazio, or Del Piero playing for Inter. That just doesn't happen in Europe.

Although I admitt that some rivalries still exist between fans, but they are mostly local, like Houston v. SA v. Dallas or Kings v. Lakers. But again, they are mostly among fans, I am sure the players couldn't care less.

Not in

sribb43
06-04-2008, 11:10 AM
ive been avoiding NBATV, sportscenter, nba fastbreak, etc..... since this past weekend. i wont watch the pregame and wont turn the game on until the tip-off bc all this Lakers-Celtics crap is sickening

oh ya and how it is really a rivalry when a team has dominated the other in the celtics winning 8 of 10 finals matchuos

lefty
06-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Oh man, yesterday night, 84,85, and 87 Finals marathon on ESPN Classic Canada :dizzy

From 9 pm to 4 am