PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Thunderbird

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-28-2005, 06:08 PM
Have any of you used this as your email client? It's from the same people who did Firefox.

I've had it for about a week now, and it kicks the crap out of Outlook when it comes to effectively filtering junk, and loads/works faster.

Slomo
01-28-2005, 06:11 PM
Have any of you used this as your email client? It's from the same people who did Firefox.

I've had it for about a week now, and it kicks the crap out of Outlook when it comes to effectively filtering junk, and loads/works faster.
I have a couple of clients using it, and it's much better than Outlook. Only problem is when you have a PDA/Smartphone whos software only knows how to synchronize to Outlook. But as a pure e-mail client Thunderbird rules!

timvp
01-28-2005, 06:19 PM
Can you export the email into a text file like you can in outlook? If so, I'm going to have to look into this for business purposes. I'm tired of Microsoft's over pricing of Outlook.

exstatic
01-28-2005, 06:22 PM
I looked around the Mozilla site, and grabbed TBird at the same time I got FireFox. I like it.

LJ, there is a save as function. One of the options is File.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-28-2005, 08:59 PM
LJ, you can do a Save As -> File -> Text file.

This thing is great. I didn't want to bring it up on here til' I got done kicking the tires around a little bit, but this software is excellent.

I agree with you on synching Slomo, but they're working on a Pocket PC/Palm version from what I understand.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-28-2005, 09:01 PM

This thing is great. I didn't want to bring it up on here til' I got done kicking the tires around a little bit, but this software is excellent.

I agree with you on synching Slomo, but they're working on a Pocket PC/Palm version from what I understand.

I know it's different, but you can even get portable Thunderbird and Firefox executables with your profiles stored on them. I keep both on my USB drive.

T-bird is great for News readers as well.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-28-2005, 11:14 PM
Yeah I know about FF for USB, etc., not quite the same as a PPC version ;)

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-28-2005, 11:18 PM
Yeah I know about FF for USB, etc., not quite the same as a PPC version ;)

But some of us (like me) don't even carry their PPC around.

That's why I'm going to get me a Treo 650 sometime this year.

Kori Ellis
01-29-2005, 03:37 AM

I wonder if that's similar to exporting the messages like in Outlook. In Outlook you can export all the messages in the inbox into tab separated entries in a text file. I guess we'll have to look at it.

timvp
01-29-2005, 03:40 AM
Yeah, if it can export hundreds/thousands of email into a tab deliminated text file, I'd save so much money. Outlook is the only one that does it right and it isn't cheap when I have to constently install it on different systems.

I'll have to DL soon and check it out.

Slomo
01-29-2005, 04:33 AM
That's very good news!

Something we did recently for a client was quite interesting. They had a really bad MS Exchange setup with 10 Win 2k and Win XP clients on their local LAN. Their network simply would not work since a few days after a major clean up and lots of re-install the spyware/viruses would just clog everything up.

So we installed a really good -OpenBSD based - firewall and changed the server to OpenBSD in a DMZ configuration. Disabled IE and Outlook and replaced them with Firefox and Thunderbird - and started monitoring the situation. We are now three weeks into this installation and everything is still working perfectly - without any antivirus software installed! The best part is that the client has not noticed any reduced functionality which is the main selling point of MS Exchange.

ducks
01-30-2005, 03:34 PM
damm this whole site is starting to say fuck bill gates

bill must hate me