PDA

View Full Version : Third times a...pattern?

Bandit2981
01-28-2005, 07:30 PM
link (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=536&ncid=536&e=2&u=/ap/20050128/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/bush_paid_columnists_1)

Third Columnist Was Paid by Bush Agency

WASHINGTON - The Department of Health and Human Services (news - web sites) said Friday that a third conservative columnist was paid to assist in promoting a Bush administration policy.

Columnist Mike McManus received $10,000 to train marriage counselors as part of the agency's initiative promoting marriage to build strong families, said Wade Horn, assistant secretary for children and families.

The disclosure came as the Government Accountability Office sent a letter to the Education Department on Friday asking for all materials related to its contract dealings with a prominent conservative media commentator.

That department, through a contract with the public relations firm Ketchum, hired commentator Armstrong Williams to produce ads that featured former Education Secretary Rod Paige and promoted President Bush (news - web sites)'s No Child Left Behind law. The contract also committed Williams, who is black, to provide media access for Paige and to persuade other black journalists to talk about the law.

Federal law bans the use of public money on propaganda.

The Education Department received the GAO's letter and is reviewing it, said department spokeswoman Susan Aspey. "Secretary Spelling has made it very clear she is getting to the bottom of this."

Margaret Spellings started this week, replacing Paige.

In a letter to Sens. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., and Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, dated Friday, Spellings wrote, "At this point, what I can say is that at a minimum, there were errors of judgments at the Department, and I am diligently working to get to the bottom of it all."

The lawmakers are the chairman and the ranking member of a panel that oversees education spending, and their subcommittee is looking into the matter.

Spellings also said the department has directed Ketchum to stop all work under the contract.

Earlier this week, Bush ordered his Cabinet secretaries not to hire columnists to promote administration agendas. The declaration was prompted by reports that Williams and another columnist, Maggie Gallagher, had been paid by the administration.

All three columnists failed to disclose to their readers their relationships with the administration.

Health and Human Services (news - web sites)' Horn stressed McManus was not paid to write favorably to about the administration. Still, he said, HHS has now implemented a rule to prohibit the use of outside consultants or contractors who have any connection with the press.

"There's a growing misperception that taxpayers' money is being used to pay columnists to use their position in the media to portray the administration in a positive light," Horn said. "I felt a compelling need to draw a bright line in order to restore the public's confidence that we are not doing that." (yeah, right :lol )

McManus was hired by the Lewin Group, which had a contract with HHS to support community-based programs. As co-founder and president of the nonprofit group Marriage Savers, his expertise was applied to help the community-based programs to build "the capacity to develop healthy marriage initiatives," Horn said.

The Institute for Youth Development, which got a grant from HHS, also is paying Marriage Savers $49,000 to offer guidance to unmarried couples who are having children, Horn said.

McManus has written supportively about the HHS marriage initiative in many of his columns since the consulting work began in January 2003.

McManus' weekly column appears in about 50 newspapers. He would not comment Friday but said he planned to issue a statement.

HHS spokesman Bill Pierce said he was unaware of any other columnists or commentators who were being paid to do work for the department.

Determining who is considered a journalist isn't always easy, Horn said.

"Oftentimes they will be experts in an area, write op-eds, be a media personality, write columns," he said. "The question really is: Is it legitimate for the government to draw upon that?"

Gallagher apologized this week to readers for not disclosing a $21,500 contract with HHS to help create materials promoting the marriage initiative.

The Education Department paid Williams $240,000 to produce television and radio ads promoting the No Child Left Behind Act. Williams has apologized and called it a mistake in judgment not to disclose that the administration was paying him.

Sens. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., and Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., had requested the GAO to expand a continuing inquiry into the matter.

"The issue here isn't just whether a journalist violated ethics, but whether the Bush Administration broke the law," Lautenberg said Friday. "If the GAO finds that the payment to Armstrong Williams was an illegal use of taxpayer dollars, then the money should be returned and Education Department officials should be held accountable."

USA Today first reported the McManus contract Friday.

Yonivore
01-28-2005, 09:25 PM
I think whoever is responsible for this nonsense should, at the least, be fired...and, then, if a crime is discovered, prosecuted.

exstatic
01-28-2005, 09:49 PM
Ashcroft, or whoever the new flunkie AG is, will undoubtedly support the adminsitration 100%, and although the rug will have to be large, this gets swept under, tout suite.

Yonivore
01-28-2005, 09:55 PM
Ashcroft, or whoever the new flunkie AG is, will undoubtedly support the adminsitration 100%, and although the rug will have to be large, this gets swept under, tout suite.
I don't know, the President has already come out against this practice and ordered it to stop. I suspect it is because of that we're learning of these additional cases.

I say clean it up.

Nbadan
01-29-2005, 02:03 AM
I don't know, the President has already come out against this practice and ordered it to stop. I suspect it is because of that we're learning of these additional cases.

:lol

That's code for a) funnel the money through A.E.I. or P.N.A.C. or B) untraceable, cash-only transactions from now on. Just to give you an idea of how bad this problem most likely is - there was $88 million used for P.R. purposes by the administration last year.

We need a independent congressional subcommittee to investigate this. We need federal legislation that specifically prohibits the use of taxpayer money to promote administration policy. We need better self-regulation by the M.S.M..

We need for the FCC to quit investigating whimsical things like Janet Jackson's breasts and start doing it's real job - protecting the free air waves and the public trust from unscrupulous and unsavory people, and corporations.

Nbadan
01-29-2005, 02:51 AM
Did you see this?

Gannongate: Media Matters for America Uncovers White House Reporter Copying GOP Documents

1/27/2005 9:29:00

WASHINGTON, Jan. 27 /U.S. Newswire/ -- Talon News Washington bureau chief and White House correspondent Jeff Gannon, who accused his colleagues in the press corps of "work(ing) off of the talking points" provided by Democrats, has used Bush administration and Republican National Committee (RNC) documents and releases in his Talon "news reports" verbatim and without attribution. In at least two of his articles, Gannon lifted more than half of the text directly from GOP "fact sheets." Moreover, as Media Matters for America has pointed out, conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh proclaimed that Gannon repeated a fabricated assertion of Limbaugh's in asking a question at President Bush's January 26 press conference.

From the January 27 edition of "Jeff Gannon's Washington" radio show on the conservative Internet radio website RIGHTALK:

GANNON: But what was very interesting, in his (Bush's) answer, was that -- that he's going to go to the American people. That was the first thing out of his mouth. That "Well, I'm going to take my case to the American people." Which told everybody in that room that not only was he not going to reach out to Democrats anymore, he was also going to go around the press corps, which, of course, deserves to be gone around because they're not telling the truth about Social Security reform. They continue to work off of the talking points provided them from the opposition. And I know that because I have seen some of my colleagues -- let's say one or two that I've actually witnessed - - read from DNC (Democratic National Committee) talking points on Social Security.

more:

US Newswire (http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=42277)

Someone once said that the best way for a politician, or in this case, a reporter, to avoid being suspected of anything, a pre-emptive strike if you will, is to blame the opposition of doing it first. This idea is directly drawn from chronicled Nazi propaganda tactics used during WW2

Nbadan
01-29-2005, 05:16 AM
Compromised journalists would be a much bigger story if the MSM didn't have so much to lose...

Kristol, Krauthammer lauded Bush inauguration speech without disclosing their role as consultants

Weekly Standard editor William Kristol lauded President George W. Bush's inauguration speech as "powerful," "impressive," and "historic," both in an article for the January 31 print edition of The Weekly Standard and as a FOX News political contributor during FOX's live coverage of Inauguration Day. Washington Post columnist and FOX News contributor Charles Krauthammer, also during FOX News' live Inauguration Day coverage, called Bush's speech "revolutionary" and compared it to fomer President John F. Kennedy's 1961 inaugural address. But Kristol and Krauthammer were consultants for Bush's speech -- a fact that neither disclosed.

A January 22 Washington Post article, titled "Bush Speech Not a Sign of Policy Shift, Officials Say," quoted Kristol praising Bush's address as a "rare inaugural speech that will go down as a historic speech, I believe." The Post article then noted that Kristol and Krauthammer had contributed to planning Bush's speech. According to the Post:

The planning of Bush's second inaugural address began a few days after the Nov. 2 election with the president telling advisers he wanted a speech about "freedom" and "liberty." That led to the broadly ambitious speech that has ignited a vigorous debate. The process included consultation with a number of outside experts, Kristol among them.

One meeting, arranged by Peter Wehner, director of the White House Office of Strategic Initiatives, included military historian Victor Davis Hanson, columnist Charles Krauthammer and Yale professor John Lewis Gaddis, according to one Republican close to the White House.

<snip>

Media Matters (http://mediamatters.org/items/200501240006)

JohnnyMarzetti
01-29-2005, 09:00 AM
I think whoever is responsible for this nonsense should, at the least, be fired...and, then, if a crime is discovered, prosecuted.

That is the smartest thing you've ever posted and the firing should start from the top.

Yonivore
01-29-2005, 03:37 PM
That is the smartest thing you've ever posted and the firing should start from the top.
Oh please! Then you'd of advocated firing Clinton for the Livingstone FBI scandal?

You're an idiot Johnny.