PDA

View Full Version : Workout Schedule

tav1
06-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Anyone know who the Spurs plan to work out? I just read that Gary Forbes will be coming in.

Bruno
06-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Some teams release a workout schedule, Spurs don't do that.

the best way to know if a player has had a workout with Spurs is using the google news search tool.
Last year, I've done a list of players who worked out with Spurs. I've started to do it again this year ( http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2570823&postcount=400 ) but I'm not sure I will continue to do it (it's not that interesting).

mystargtr34
06-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Great Spurs working out a 6'4" Power Forward.

tav1
06-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Thanks, Bruno. That helps.

FWIW then: Gary Forbes will work out for the Spurs.

If anyone comes across other players, post the information here.

tav1
06-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Great Spurs working out a 6'4" Power Forward.

He is a SF.

Ocotillo
06-04-2008, 09:30 AM
A very small forward.....

Bruno
06-04-2008, 09:31 AM
James Gist will have a workout with Spurs.

tav1
06-04-2008, 10:02 AM
James Gist will have a workout with Spurs.

I guess I'll have to figure out who he is then.

MoSpur
06-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Forbes looks too much like Derek Anderson. I don't like that.

urunobili
06-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Lame... none of the ones on Bruno's list is from our mentioned favorites...

MoSpur
06-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Anyone like Joey Dorsey?

ChumpDumper
06-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Actually Forbes and Gist are two that I would like the Spurs to look at in the second round.

The Toronto pick could get the Spurs a skilled SF like Forbes or Calathes.

I pretty much want to take a flyer on the best athlete left with #57 (Weems, Taylor, Gist, Hunter -- whatever).

urunobili
06-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Actually Forbes and Gist are two that I would like the Spurs to look at in the second round.

The Toronto pick could get the Spurs a skilled SF like Forbes or Calathes.

I pretty much want to take a flyer on the best athlete left with #57 (Weems, Taylor, Gist, Hunter -- whatever).

they'll probably choose the weirdest last name of them all... :bang

ChumpDumper
06-04-2008, 02:48 PM
That's possible. Keeping all three picks might be a stretch, but I like what's available at the Spurs' picks now better than last summer's "Draft of the Century."

timvp
06-04-2008, 06:06 PM
That's possible. Keeping all three picks might be a stretch, but I like what's available at the Spurs' picks now better than last summer's "Draft of the Century."Agreed. If most of the players stay in, I like the chances of a decent player falling to the Spurs at 26. For the moment, even 45 looks pretty good. Looking back at last year, the draft was pretty horrible after the early 20's ... even though it was supposedly one of the deepest drafts ever.

Regarding workouts, Forbes is really interesting. He has dominated both pre-draft camps even though his stats at UMass weren't to impressive. The Spurs typically put a lot of stock in pre-draft camps (off the top of my head, Beno Udrih and Derrick Dial became targets after playing well in pre-draft camps).

If Forbes is on the board at 45, he's another solid option as long as he proves in individual workouts that his camp performances weren't a fluke.

Mr. Body
06-04-2008, 07:51 PM
That's possible. Keeping all three picks might be a stretch, but I like what's available at the Spurs' picks now better than last summer's "Draft of the Century."

Yes, and good thing, too. Despite the hype (which I joined in on), last year's draft was pretty horrible. Not like this one's any great shakes, but it may possibly have some depth. Maybe.

tav1
06-04-2008, 11:47 PM
Yes, and good thing, too. Despite the hype (which I joined in on), last year's draft was pretty horrible. Not like this one's any great shakes, but it may possibly have some depth. Maybe.

The draft was overhyped, but not bad by any stretch. It was still well above average. Oden, Durant, Horford, Thornton, Young, Stuckey, Julian Wright, and Landry will all be good to elite players. The jury is out on B. Wright, J. Green, Crittenton, Sean Williams, Noah and Yi, but they should be at least competent rotation players. Splitter and Fernendaz could turn out well. And then there are a handful of guys that it's too early to know anything about: Conley Jr., Brewer, Wilson Chandler and Big Baby.

All told that is a pretty solid draft.

Mr. Body
06-04-2008, 11:55 PM
In some ways it was good. The top two were certainly better. Time will tell on the others. The wings available after both Youngs were gone were very sketchy -- Wilson Chandler was early in the 20s where this year you'd still find CDR or Rush.

ace3g
06-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Too much Rod Benson: Moms, shirts and masks

By Rod Benson

I have three weeks to get ready for my mini-camp with the San Antonio Spurs. What does getting ready entail? It means that I have practice twice a day, five days a week, with weights in between. It's not bad at all, though. It's fun getting into shape with Matt Barnes and helping Ryan Anderson get ready for the NBA Draft.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Too-much-Rod-Benson-Moms-shirts-and-masks?urn=nba,85033

link to his NDBL profile
http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/index.jsp?player=rod_benson

looks like he is a pretty solid rebounder and shot blocker

http://www.tothehoop.com/images/RodBenson0209.jpg
http://www.nba.com/media/act_rod_benson.jpg
http://www.draftexpress.com/gallery/General/1175631810.jpg
http://www.nba.com/media/dleague/stampede_wizards_071208_03.jpg
http://www.nba.com/media/dleague/benson_300_071009.jpg
"Rod Benson set a new D-League record on Sunday with 28 rebounds in a game."

tav1
06-04-2008, 11:59 PM
Chump, what can you tell us? Is this our 6th big for the LLE next season?

ChumpDumper
06-05-2008, 12:06 AM
From the "Get Refuel" thread:

Rod Benson
6'10" 235lbs.

Skinny Mikki Moore type - better rebounding (led the league with 12.1 rpg, 17.2 per 48), less offense than Moore. More of an opportunistic scorer. Improved blocking this season (1.4 bpg) and got to the line much more.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/index.jsp?player=rod_benson
http://www.basketball-reference.com/nbdl/players/b/bensoro01d.html

I like this guy. He has definitely improved over this past season -- so much that many are surprised he wasn't called up. I think he could be had for the usual one year minimum + team option contract. He's never going to put a lot of weight on that frame, but if he only turns out to be a better rebounding Francisco Elson, he'll stick in the NBA a few years.

T Park
06-05-2008, 01:55 AM
but if he only turns out to be a better rebounding Francisco Elson, he'll stick in the NBA a few years.

Shit, make him play defense, and I'd take that :lol

TDMVPDPOY
06-05-2008, 02:17 AM
isnt he just like mahinmi with that skinny frame?

i wonder if he can play the 3? mainly defense?

ChumpDumper
06-05-2008, 02:20 AM
Benson has a narrower frame than Ian, so it doesn't seem like he could put on weight Ian already has.

No way he can play the 3. DJ tried that during Benson's short stay in Austin.

Bruno
06-06-2008, 10:32 AM
After some google searches, I haven't a lot of new names to add.

Workouts :
Gary Forbes
James Gist
Marcellus Kemp
George Hilll
Jeremy Pargo
Danny Green
Kyle Hines
Ty Lawson
Dion Dowell
Keith Brumbaugh
Devon Hardin
Lester Hudson

Rumors about Spurs being interested in :
Bill Walker
Mario Chalmers
Brandon Rush

tav1
06-06-2008, 10:46 AM

Workouts :
Gary Forbes
James Gist
Marcellus Kemp
George Hilll
Jeremy Pargo
Danny Green
Kyle Hines
Ty Lawson
Dion Dowell
Keith Brumbaugh
Devon Hardin
Lester Hudson

Bill Walker
Lionel Chalmers
Brandon Rush

Bruno, that's a great list. Bill Walker, Brandon Rush and Gary Fornes are good to see.

Do you think Buford's Kansas connection gives us a leg up on either Walker or Rush?

Marcus Bryant
06-06-2008, 10:48 AM

Workouts :
Gary Forbes
James Gist
Marcellus Kemp
George Hilll
Jeremy Pargo
Danny Green
Kyle Hines
Ty Lawson
Dion Dowell
Keith Brumbaugh
Devon Hardin
Lester Hudson

2nd rounders mostly, likely for pick #45.

Bill Walker
Lionel Chalmers
Brandon Rush

Chalmers seems destined to be a Spur given RC's KU connection.

tav1
06-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Ty Lawson, FWIW, is rumored to have received a promise from Denver at 20. If some team takes Lawson before that pick, Denver will trade out of the first or sell.

I'm trying to put positive "buy a Bill Walker" vibes into the universe. Maybe those vibes have sprinkled their fairy dust onto the Nuggets universe.

Mr. Body
06-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Lionel Chalmers?

Bruno
06-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Sonny Weems will workout for 16 teams including Spurs.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/sports_blog_post.asp?pID=3421

Mr. Body
06-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Weems ain't the brightest player in the world but is a good pick.

But what tells me we'll select a solid 2nd rounder like Gary Forbes with the 26 pick?

timvp
06-06-2008, 01:46 PM
That's weird that Ty Lawson is working out for the Spurs. Earlier in the process he said he didn't want to be the backup on a team with a star point guard ... and he specifically named TP and the Spurs.

I like the list of players the Spurs are working out so far. Forbes has dominated draft camps. He'd be really nice at 45. His shaky college stats would make me think twice about taking him in the first round.

Hill would be really nice at 45. He's one of the few point guard prospects I like in this draft. Picking Pargo at 45 if he stays in would also be a good pick. He has his brothers game but he might actually have a tad more upside.

If the Spurs want to go big at 26, Harden is one of the best options. You stick him in Austin for two years and there's a chance he's a stud by the time you call him up.

By most accounts Keith Brumbaugh sucks but the fact that he was a top ten prospect at some point and specifically named the Spurs as his favorite team ... that's good enough for me to say he's worth pick 57.

Mr. Body
06-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Harden Wouldn't Run.

Just ask Johnny Cash.

Bruno
06-06-2008, 01:57 PM
The pull out deadline for early entrants on June 16th will be damn important this year given the number of underclassmen on the first round bubble.

With Spurs luck, tons of underclassmen will pull out and nothing good will be left at 26. :depressed

timvp
06-06-2008, 04:56 PM
The pull out deadline for early entrants on June 16th will be damn important this year given the number of underclassmen on the first round bubble.

With Spurs luck, tons of underclassmen will pull out and nothing good will be left at 26. :depressedYeah, at this time last year, the draft looked amazingly deep. It looked like the Spurs would have the choice of players like Fernandez, Belinelli, Dudley, Cook, etc. ... and then a bunch of late first round prospects pulled out.

Hopefully that doesn't happen this year. Right now I like the swingman depth but if three or four players right around the 18-25 range go back to college, this draft could get shallow fast.

SPURSGOAT
06-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Maybe this thread should be stickied.

DMX7
06-14-2008, 07:39 PM
2nd rounders mostly, likely for pick #45.

Chalmers seems destined to be a Spur given RC's KU connection.

I think you meant Mario Chalmers. I really want the Spurs to draft that guy but I think he may not be available at #26.

Kindergarten Cop
06-14-2008, 08:18 PM
Do you think Buford's Kansas connection gives us a leg up on either Walker or Rush?

I'm confused on how us having a KU connection would give us a "leg up" on the players. If they were FAs and they had an actual choice of where they would go I could see it, but not with the draft.

SPURSGOAT
06-14-2008, 08:35 PM
The latest nbadraft.net mock from Friday 13th has us taking back to back PFs? I don't think that is going to happen... the last pick they have us taking is a bit interesting though for a backup PG, Drew Neitzel...

http://www.nbadraft.net/

exstatic
06-14-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm confused on how us having a KU connection would give us a "leg up" on the players. If they were FAs and they had an actual choice of where they would go I could see it, but not with the draft.

I think the inference is will RC be more likely to draft them because of his KU connection.

A.H 21-50
06-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Demarcus Nelson will also have a workout with sa

SPURSGOAT
06-15-2008, 02:06 AM

hmmmm could be an interesting second round pick...

Spur-Addict
06-15-2008, 06:19 AM

I'm not a fan of his game at all.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-15-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm not a fan of his game at all.

Me neither.

duncan228
06-15-2008, 11:55 AM
I think this is the thread to post this in...
Should it be in Green's prospect thread too?

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1107499.html

Danny Green still undecided
By Caulton Tudor

Shortly after completing a workout with the San Antonio Spurs, North Carolina basketball player Danny Green said Friday night that he has not made a decision about withdrawing from the NBA Draft pool.

"It's still very much up in the air," Green said by telephone from the airport in San Antonio. "I know there are some reports going around that I've made the decision to go back to school for next season, but that's not really the case as things stand right now.

"I'm not going to make that decision until after I have a meeting with Coach [Roy] Williams later this weekend. I think I'll make that decision after we talk."

The 6-foot-5 Green, a rising senior wingman, is one of three Carolina underclassmen in the draft pool. Also entered are junior guards Ty Lawson and Wayne Ellington. The deadline to withdraw from the draft, according to the NBA, is Monday at 5 p.m. Eastern time.

Green's father, Danny Green, Sr., reached in New York, said Friday night that his son is "not looking to get out of Carolina."

"He just wants to get as much information as possible, and then reach the best decision," Green, Sr., said. "I think there's still a chance it could go either way. But Danny loves Carolina. He just wants to see where he stands with some of the NBA teams."

Green, after the audition with the Spurs, was generally pleased with his performance.

"I think I had a good day," the player said. "You never do everything exactly right, but I'm happy with the way things went."

Green said he is not scheduled to have a workout either Saturday or Sunday with other NBA teams. Efforts to reach Lawson and Ellington on Friday were not successful. Lawson was scheduled for a Friday or Saturday workout with the Sacramento Kings.