View Full Version : Boxing: "The Sweet Deathwish"
LEONARD
06-04-2008, 01:21 PM
http://ejmas.com/jcs/jcsart_svinth_a_0700.htm
The numbers are staggering... :wow
and for some reason, boxing deaths just don't get any media coverage???
Purple & Gold
06-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Boxing is not for the faint of heart
2centsworth
06-05-2008, 01:20 AM
Leonard, stand on your own two feet. There have been more deaths in just about any sport than there has MMA. But for the love of God please don't try to convince people that bear knuckle fighting is safer.
LEONARD
06-05-2008, 10:02 AM
What about this thread was MMA-related?
It's about boxing-related deaths and my curiosity as to why the media and general public ignores them...
"bear knuckle fighting"...wtf is that?
What is your case for why MMA is more dangerous, since you brought it up? Based on what facts, studies, etc???
Leonard, stand on your own two feet. There have been more deaths in just about any sport than there has MMA. But for the love of God please don't try to convince people that bear knuckle fighting is safer.
This isn't an MMA thread....
2centsworth
06-05-2008, 10:34 AM
get real guys. The real fallout from the Kimbo fight was it's goryiness.
IMO, the chances of getting hurt in MMA are much higher than any other sport.
Chances of dying are much higher in all other sports though it's still early. Hopefully the quick KOs continue to prevent deaths.
LEONARD
06-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Dude…forget MMA…a bloody ear won’t kill you…
As a boxing fan, what are your thoughts on the number of deaths due to ring injuries? If it doesn’t bother you, why?
get real guys. The real fallout from the Kimbo fight was it's goryiness.
IMO, the chances of getting hurt in MMA are much higher than any other sport.
Chances of dying are much higher in all other sports though it's still early. Hopefully the quick KOs continue to prevent deaths.
Not sure why you keep bringing it back to MMA.
I think its pretty clear for the posts we do on this forum we are more than willing to constantly bring up problems we see with the sport. And so are the fighters, managers and many CEO's involved. Which is a great thing and a reason why MMA is and will continue to flourish. Holes get filled quick with this sport, it is constantly evolving in every single aspect. The Kimbo fiasco is because of Gary Shaw and his boxing background. Garbage like that hasn't happened since the sport got re-sanctioned and leave it to a boxing promoter to get invoved with MMA and bring it back down a few notches. So typical of boxing management mentality.
Boxing and all of those involved seem to be in denial with the problems which stunts its growth.
2centsworth
06-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Dude…forget MMA…a bloody ear won’t kill you…
As a boxing fan, what are your thoughts on the number of deaths due to ring injuries? If it doesn’t bother you, why?
let me step back and say the deaths do bother me, but I believe most of the deaths could have been prevented.
most of the deaths happen to the less than trained and less than highly skilled fighters. There needs to be more oversight of the so called pro at the indian reservation.
As for the true championship contenders who have been killed, more times than not it was due to referee incompetence. The most recent example is Leavander Johnson who took over 400 unanswered punches. The referee allowed him to be a human punching bag.
However, I must admit after reading some more I didn't realize the problem was this bad. More change needs to take place.
LEONARD
06-05-2008, 11:45 AM
I didn't know it was that bad either. I'm pretty much ignoring the deaths in the early 1900's and prior...has no bearing on today's sport. No gloves, inferior medical care, etc...
But the deaths in the modern era of boxing are pretty crazy...
Yeah I am stunned to say the least.
2centsworth
06-05-2008, 12:14 PM
This is where boxing could learn a lot from the UFC. Referees in the UFC seem to be overly cautious, and that's a good thing, plus tapping out/quitting is no big deal. A boxer quitting is thought of as shameful. Fighting is a very tough way to earn a living, so who are the fans to try to shame a boxer who has given up.
I love boxing and the back and forth is what I enjoy the most, but it's obvious to me when a boxer has had enough. There are referees I have wanted to kill.
This is where boxing could learn a lot from the UFC. Referees in the UFC seem to be overly cautious, and that's a good thing, plus tapping out/quitting is no big deal. A boxer quitting is thought of as shameful. Fighting is a very tough way to earn a living, so who are the fans to try to shame a boxer who has given up.
I love boxing and the back and forth is what I enjoy the most, but it's obvious to me when a boxer has had enough. There are referees I have wanted to kill.
And thats a very fair reply. I also think W/L record means way too much in boxing as it causes too many problems.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.5 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions Inc. All rights reserved.