PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs need to get players who can get easy points in transition

rascal
06-04-2008, 01:42 PM
I was watching the Lakers vs Celtics 1987 finals and those teams scored many baskets quickly off defensive rebounds and turnovers. They had the players who could find seams in the defense and take it coast to coast for easy layups or dunks.

Its important to have enough players on the team that can turn up the offense when opportunities exist for easy points. The spurs don't have the players to do this.

The spurs struggle in this area. Outside of Parker and Manu they have no one off the bench who can run coast to coast and score quickly. The spurs prefer to get over the hill types that don't or can't score off turnovers or defensive rebounds.

They need to add some young wing players this offseason who can create a spark offensively to stop the scoring droughts the team always seeems to fall into, which causes them to lose big leads.

Spur-Addict
06-04-2008, 01:43 PM
I was watching the Lakers vs Celtics 1987 finals and those teams scored many baskets quickly off defensive rebounds and turnovers. They had the players who could find seams in the defense and take it coast to coast for easy layups or dunks.

Its important to have enough players on the team that can turn up the offense when opportunities exist for easy points. The spurs don't have the players to do this.

The spurs struggle in this area. Outside of Parker and Manu they have no one off the bench who can run coast to coast and score quickly. The spurs prefer to get over the hill types that don't or can't score off turnovers or defensive rebounds.

They need to add some young wing players this offseason who can create a spark offensively to stop the scoring droughts the team always seeems to fall into, which causes them to lose big leads.

While this is true, did you look at the roster of those teams?

xtremesteven33
06-04-2008, 01:44 PM
defense wasnt that great back then, and yes spurs need more athletic players.

Medvedenko
06-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Yes, athletic players are a must and having players that can finish is paramount.

SenorSpur
06-04-2008, 01:55 PM
It's no secret that TP is a one-man fast break by himself. It'd be nice if he had someone else who could run in transition with him. At the start of this season, the 2nd fastest guy on the team was Cisco Elson. Getting controlled, easy points in transition would be a nice luxury to have.

jack sommerset
06-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Every team needs players like that

angelbelow
06-04-2008, 03:36 PM
im also watching this game. lots of great players. from ideal role players to mega stars. definitely an exiciting game.

DDS4
06-04-2008, 03:39 PM
I enjoyed watching that 1987 Finals. The basketball then vs. now is like night and day.

Damn Worthy had a fast 1st step. He blew by everyone.

Borosai
06-04-2008, 03:41 PM
The Spurs need to work on a 4-man defensive scheme, allowing the 5th man to cherry pick all game long. Easy points.

Southwest Texas Fan
06-04-2008, 04:39 PM
It's no secret that TP is a one-man fast break by himself. It'd be nice if he had someone else who could run in transition with him. At the start of this season, the 2nd fastest guy on the team was Cisco Elson. Getting controlled, easy points in transition would be a nice luxury to have.

Maybe Mahinmi can fill this role. :downspin:

baseline bum
06-04-2008, 04:49 PM
I enjoyed watching that 1987 Finals. The basketball then vs. now is like night and day.

Damn Worthy had a fast 1st step. He blew by everyone.

I have that whole series on Divx video; it's pretty sweet (I also have the entire '85 Finals, and some of the '84, which is the greatest Finals ever).

Game 4 of that series was more physical than the sum of games this decade. I wish the league wasn't so soft now. No flagrant fouls, no flopping, no whining to the refs... everyone just shut the hell up and played.

Ocotillo
06-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Hey with our love of grizzled vets maybe the FO will make a run at James Worthy?

baseline bum
06-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Hey with our love of grizzled vets maybe the FO will make a run at James Worthy?

:lol

jcrod
06-04-2008, 05:59 PM
I cringe everytime I see Bowen running the fast break.

SenorSpur
06-04-2008, 06:18 PM
I cringe everytime I see Bowen running the fast break.

I call anyone not named TP and Manu a break-killa.

Bob Lanier
06-04-2008, 06:21 PM
So what you're saying is that the Spurs need TOUGH, HARD-NOSED, BLACK players with ATTITUDE?

spurs1990
06-04-2008, 09:44 PM
I brought this up a year ago

Ricky Davis UFA

TDMVPDPOY
06-04-2008, 11:11 PM
why dont we just bring in javtokas and sanikidze?

someone check on javtokas last season stats....