PDA

View Full Version : VP Question

AFBlue
06-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Now that it's pretty clear who the nominees are, who do you think will round out each of the tickets?

My vote....

Huckabee on the Republican side

Edwards on the Democrat side

Nbadan
06-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Clinton....................for McCain...

balli
06-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Biden would probably hurt Obamas chances, but if he were more electable I'd be down.

CosmicCowboy
06-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Now that it's pretty clear who the nominees are, who do you think will round out each of the tickets?

My vote....

hmmm

I think Huckabee's basically a good guy but politically unsophisticated. He would be more palatable to right wing republicans but not enough to counter their hate for McCain, which makes him a losing proposition. I think Romney would be a stronger fit with his economic background, middle of the road approach, and appeal to women.

Edwards would probably be a good choice for Obama, but doesn't really bring anything to the table from a political strength aspect. Obama's already got most of the previous Edwards supporters in his pocket...the Dem VP choice (assuming it's not Hillary) will be interesting.

balli
06-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Edwards would probably be a good choice for Obama, but doesn't really bring anything to the table from a political strength aspect.

What? He's white, southern and populist. I guess Obama did fine in the urban south, but I guarantee Edwards appeals to all those dumb and racist appalachian fucks that Hillary kept going on about.

CosmicCowboy
06-04-2008, 06:01 PM
What? He's white, southern and populist. I guess Obama did fine in the urban south, but I guarantee Edwards appeals to all those dumb and racist appalachian fucks that Hillary kept going on about.

Edwards comes off as a pussy white lawyer that married a rich girl. Hillary reminded them of their sister they always wanted to fuck.

Ocotillo
06-04-2008, 08:57 PM
I think McCain takes Ridge from Pennsylvania. He likes Ridge and he may want to roll the dice and try and take Pa from the Dems.

I hope Obama takes Dodd from Connecticut. Dodd helps with the experience factor that Obama will face. I don't think he should take a Red state office holder because I am not sold that person would help deliver that state and say you take someone like Jim Webb, it is not a slam dunk that your party will keep the seat in the Senate.

AFBlue
06-04-2008, 09:57 PM
hmmm

I think Huckabee's basically a good guy but politically unsophisticated. He would be more palatable to right wing republicans but not enough to counter their hate for McCain, which makes him a losing proposition. I think Romney would be a stronger fit with his economic background, middle of the road approach, and appeal to women.

Edwards would probably be a good choice for Obama, but doesn't really bring anything to the table from a political strength aspect. Obama's already got most of the previous Edwards supporters in his pocket...the Dem VP choice (assuming it's not Hillary) will be interesting.

Guess I'll give my logic behind my guesses...

Huckabee is "politically unsophisticated" as you say, but that actually plays out as an advantage for the ticket in this case. With Huckabee you get a fresh, charasmatic addition that just so happens to appeal to a section of the Republican base which John McCain has alienated.

I also think there's a tremendous amount of respect between the two of them, and I'm not sure I get the same feeling with McCain/Romney. I'm not discounting your choice because it certainly makes political sense, but I see McCain as a guy who ties political gain with personal conviction.

On the Democratic side I went with Edwards for a number of reasons.

1) Riding high - While Edwards is no "Gore" as far as political pull, he was clearly the most sought after endorsement during this general election campaign. He really honed his populist message and was able to connect with a good number of Americans.

It just so happened he had the bad luck of running against the first legitimate black and female candidates during an election season where Dems smelled blood in the water with the weakened Republican party and wanted to "win big" with their choice.

2) He's a white southerner with a message that appeals to blue-collar voters. Part of his populist delivery, which again he's really gotten good at, is to expound on corporate greed in America and the need to reinvigorate the labor unions. He is the perfect mouthpiece to the white, blue-collar workers across the rural areas of this nation...a group that Obama has failed to connect with to this point.

3) He's NOT Hillary. It's true that Hillary brings a ton of experience and political savvy to any ticket. But she also brings higher negatives than any other candidate or former candidate for the nomination. Meanwhile, Edwards is generally viewed in a positive manner and again, he appeals to the same voters that Hillary does.

So, I looked at the available options and said Edwards is the smartest choice. He's at the top of his political game, can draw in those missing voters, and will lay low enough to let Obama be the "rock star" while adding something substantive to the ticket.

Those are my takes and the reasons I went with the choices I did.

AFBlue
06-04-2008, 10:00 PM
I think McCain takes Ridge from Pennsylvania. He likes Ridge and he may want to roll the dice and try and take Pa from the Dems.

I see the connection between McCain and Ridge, and I definitely think McCain will pick someone he's fond of and respects....

But, I can't see it being Ridge. Ridge is one of the only Republicans that is openly pro-choice when it comes to abortion. If McCain chooses Ridge he'll only further alienate the Social Conservative section of the Republican party....and that's a big enough section to have hand delivered the presidency to George Bush a second time around.

florige
06-06-2008, 08:04 AM

My vote....

Edwards has said that he had no interest in running for VP again. I say Bill Richardson as his running mate.

AFBlue
06-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Edwards has said that he had no interest in running for VP again. I say Bill Richardson as his running mate.

I think Edwards denied he had interest in the job in '04 as well. He's still relatively young and if Obama won, he'd be in the driver's seat in 2016 or 2012 if Obama decided not to run again for one reason or another.

Richardson is a good pick though. He's a very personable guy and also appeals to a section of voters that Obama failed to get in the primary season.

florige
06-06-2008, 10:56 PM
I think Edwards denied he had interest in the job in '04 as well. He's still relatively young and if Obama won, he'd be in the driver's seat in 2016 or 2012 if Obama decided not to run again for one reason or another.

Richardson is a good pick though. He's a very personable guy and also appeals to a section of voters that Obama failed to get in the primary season.

Yeah I was thinking about that. We'll see how much interest he has if/when Obama offers it to him. Then if he declines we will know he was serious.

I also like Richardson due to the fact that he came out and supported Obama during his rough period with that whole Wright fiasco. Edwards didn't come out until he was sure Obama was going to be the winner.

AFBlue
06-07-2008, 02:03 PM
After that speech by Hillary Clinton there's no way Barack can choose her...that was terrible.

Truthfully, the speech will have no bearing on his VP choice, but I had to comment somewhere about how retarded it was.

boutons_
06-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Old Sick Senile McFlopPanderKeating's SPEECHES ARE SO BAD, esp the one where he tried, in eternally classic Repug nastiness, slimy-ness, ungraciousness, to pre-empt HUSSEIN! an hour before HUSSEIN!'s victory speech last Tue night, that Old Sick Senile McFlopPanderKeating's handlers are trying to pull the his vids off Youtube, etc.

(Self) Death Wish: Old Sick Senile McFlopPanderKeating asking to debate HUSSEIN! in open Town Forums.

Gore was a good candidate with a horrible campaign (he won over a horrible opponent),
Kerry was a horrible candidate with a horrible campaign (but barely lost to war president),
but Old Sick Senile McFlopPanderKeating is a DOA candidate with a DOA campaign.

Webb or Richardson veeping for BLACK MARXIST TRAITOR MUSLIM HUSSEIN!

A black president and Mexican veep?

Financed by RNC, the NRA militia bubbas woud assassinate both of them! :lol

PEP
06-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Old Sick Senile McFlopPanderKeating's SPEECHES ARE SO BAD, esp the one where he tried, in eternally classic Repug nastiness, slimy-ness, ungraciousness, to pre-empt HUSSEIN! an hour before HUSSEIN!'s victory speech last Tue night, that Old Sick Senile McFlopPanderKeating's handlers are trying to pull the his vids off Youtube, etc.

(Self) Death Wish: Old Sick Senile McFlopPanderKeating asking to debate HUSSEIN! in open Town Forums.

Gore was a good candidate with a horrible campaign (he won over a horrible opponent),
Kerry was a horrible candidate with a horrible campaign (but barely lost to war president),
but Old Sick Senile McFlopPanderKeating is a DOA candidate with a DOA campaign.

Webb or Richardson veeping for BLACK MARXIST TRAITOR MUSLIM HUSSEIN!

A black president and Mexican veep?

Financed by RNC, the NRA militia bubbas woud assassinate both of them! :lol
lol damn boutons, is it too much to ask for you to just answer the damn question without sounding like you have a corn cob up your ass??

I'd say Jim Webb for Obama and Fred Thompson for McCain.

Jim Webb is a badass and Fred Thompson tells it like it is. Those two debating each other would be 100% better than a Obama/McCain debate.

clambake
06-07-2008, 03:10 PM
After that speech by Hillary Clinton there's no way Barack can choose her...that was terrible.

Truthfully, the speech will have no bearing on his VP choice, but I had to comment somewhere about how retarded it was.

i thought it was fairly articulate and well rounded. she expressed her hopes and dreams about issues she wants to see addressed and gave more props to obama than i expected.

she still has a shot at VP....actually, i think she improved her chances.

AFBlue
06-07-2008, 11:57 PM
i thought it was fairly articulate and well rounded. she expressed her hopes and dreams about issues she wants to see addressed and gave more props to obama than i expected.

she still has a shot at VP....actually, i think she improved her chances.

I thought the "punchline" was forced and inarticulate. Everytime she said "that's why we have to elect Barack Obama our next President", I cringed because it was so poorly delivered.

I'll give her that she talked up Obama alot more than I thought she would. But, I still thought it was unnecessary for her to pontificate on her stance on the issues, which we've heard a thousand times in her stump speeches. She just added "that's why we have to elect Barack Obama".

Just my opinion, but I wasn't a fan of the whole ordeal and think she probably did more damage than good by making such a big deal over it.

clambake
06-08-2008, 10:59 AM
she had to make a big deal out of it to avoid the label of "party killer".