PDA

View Full Version : Global Top 10 Questions with Tony Parker

duncan228
06-04-2008, 05:08 PM
http://www.nba.com/finals2008/parker10_080604.html

Global Top 10 Questions with Tony Parker

San Antonio's point guard, Tony Parker is among the most accomplished international players in the NBA. In his seven years in the league, he has won three NBA championships, earned the 2007 Finals MVP, has been an All-Star twice and was named to the All-Rookie First Team in 2002. While the Spurs won it all in 2007, this year their season ended early after losing to the Lakers 4-1 in the Western Conference Finals. In this week's edition of the Global Top 10, the French native answers 10 questions on this year's playoffs and his basketball journey thus far.

NBA.com: Many people have said that Tim Duncan's three-pointer in Game 1 against the Suns, changed the momentum of the entire series. In your mind, what impact did that shot have?

Parker: It was huge for us. A big shot obviously because Timmy doesn’t usually shoot threes that much and it was huge for us because we were down 16, down 18 in the first half and came back, fought through and tied the game. The first time with Michael Finley and then we tied it again with Timmy, it was just an unbelievable big game. For me that was the best game of the playoffs, two overtimes and you have Timmy hitting a three. That game was crazy and just to be on the good side of it, it was a great feeling. It was one of the best games I played in the playoffs.

NBA.com: Although you defeated both Phoenix and New Orleans, how challenging were both of those series?

Parker: We had two tough series. The first one against Phoenix was very brutal, very physical and then we played New Orleans which is a young team coming up and we go all the way to seven games. It was tough for us. We were very lucky to win Game 7 (against the Hornets) on the road, one of the biggest wins of our franchise. It was a big win, on the road, Game 7, we never did that before.

NBA.com: You hit a big shot down the stretch in Game 7 of the Spurs-Hornets series. With 50 seconds left you nailed the 19-foot jumper. How did you feel after hitting that shot?

Parker: That game, it did not want to go in. But then the fourth quarter, I hit two or three shots before I made my last one. It was huge for us because it gave us the lead for good.

NBA.com: Many of your teammates including Manu Ginobili and Duncan are international athletes, is there a difference playing with international athletes as opposed to American players?

Parker: It is a different style but it is still basketball. Obviously Manu, the way he plays and how crazy he is, it is a little bit different. It is still basketball. We just play basketball. I think it makes the NBA better because you have the best players from every country.

NBA.com: How would you break down the matchup between the Lakers and the Celtics?

Parker: They are two great teams. There are great matchups with Kobe Bryant, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Pau Gasol. So it is going to be tough for both teams. It is going to be fun to watch. I don’t think anyone can say who is going to win. But I believe the Lakers have the advantage because of the fact that they have Kobe Bryant.

NBA.com: What kind of pressure is it playing in the Finals, specifically for those like Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett who have never been there before?

Parker: It is still basketball. It is just exciting the first time. I was excited my first time in the finals, but once it starts its just basketball. Obviously it is a lot of pressure because you want to win a championship, but it is still just basketball. So I think that they will be fine.

NBA.com: What is it like to win an NBA championship?

Parker: That is an unbelievable feeling. It is the best feeling in the world. That is why you play basketball. That is why you play sports, to live those moments, to have those goose bumps and that happy feeling inside that you worked hard for that goal and you achieved it.

NBA.com: Your team has a big three comprised of you, Manu and Duncan. Boston has a big three as well. How important is it to have a strong core of multiple players?

Parker: In our day it is tough to win championship with just one player or two players. You need help because every team is very good. So, I think you need at least three guys who can score and can do a lot of stuff on the court and just carry the team. On those two teams (Boston and Los Angeles) you have that in Paul Pierce, Garnett and Ray Allen and , Kobe, Gasol and Lamar Odom. They are the guys that can carry the team every night.

NBA.com: Growing up in France, did you aspire to play in the NBA? If so, was there a point where you knew it was likely to happen?

Parker: That was my dream since I was small. My dad was American. He was from Chicago, so I was a big Bulls fan, a big Michael Jordan fan. I always knew I wanted to play basketball growing up.

When I got drafted, I knew it was going to happen but it was always my dream since I was small. I always wanted to play in the NBA, that was my goal. When I was like "Oh I finally made it", it was the draft. When you hear your name (called), it is an unbelievable feeling.

NBA.com: What are your plans for the offseason?

Parker: I am doing nothing. I am not playing for the National Team. It is my first summer in four or five years that I have nothing. So I am definitely going to rejuvenate and rest and work on the stuff that I can get better at. Also I will sit, enjoy life and enjoy my wife. That is it.

Brutalis
06-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Good for you TP being smart and resting up this summer.

As for Manu, screw you. :)

Supreme_Being
06-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Glad to hear TP is enjoying his wife.

MoSpur
06-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Sounds like a nice summer

VaSpursFan
06-05-2008, 11:43 AM
enjoy his wife??? that's a nice way of saying he's going to get it as often as he can before next season starts...who can blame him???

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-05-2008, 11:46 AM
#11. Why don't you pass the ball to Manu more?

1Parker1
06-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Nice article. He definitely needs to practice that jumpshot this offseason. It didn't look as great as it did in 07.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-05-2008, 12:20 PM
"It's still basketball. It's just basketball"

Tony repeated that a lot. :lol Frenchie.

50 cent
06-05-2008, 12:32 PM
NBA.com: What are your plans for the offseason?

Parker: I am doing nothing. I am not playing for the National Team. It is my first summer in four or five years that I have nothing. So I am definitely going to rejuvenate and rest and work on the stuff that I can get better at. Also I will sit, enjoy life and enjoy my wife. That is it.

:tu :tu :tu :tu :tu

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-05-2008, 12:39 PM
So the National Team is playing without him? I thought the whole team didn't qualify for the Olympics?

ForeignFan
06-05-2008, 02:21 PM
They have a qualifying tournament for the European Championship. They will play without TP (but with Diaw)

timaios
06-05-2008, 02:35 PM
So the National Team is playing without him? I thought the whole team didn't qualify for the Olympics?

French team will play important games in september 2008...
They will attempt to qualify for EuroBasket 2009.
Tony will not play.

E20
06-05-2008, 02:38 PM
I like how he did not mention Ray Allen as a major player. Nice.

timvp
06-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Parker better rest up because next year with Manu hopefully on a "save Manu for the playoffs" plan, Parker is going to have to carry the scoring load.

FromWayDowntown
06-05-2008, 03:08 PM
"It's still basketball. It's just basketball"

Tony repeated that a lot. :lol Frenchie.

Sounds like he's been listening to Popovich. Pop's a big believer in perspective and he certainly seems to subscribe to the "it's just basketball" notion about as much as anyone.

Bito Corleone
06-05-2008, 04:26 PM

After the last few series how can you ask that question? Manu is my boy but come on!

mrspurs
06-05-2008, 06:32 PM
well this is what happens when you sign allstar caliber players who love playing for their countires....if they play they come back tired, and not nba ready...which means if you dont sign someone who can play, alot of minutes, to sub for letting those other country players ,rest on the bench(while not blowing valuable games)....guess what? chances are these old fellows dont get homecourt advantage, and we all knows what happens with older players who play on the road.....nothing good......stop being a cheapskate peter holt....this whole city cant be built on cheap hispanic wages.....spend a little money under the table like most other owners and get that player who will help manus problem for wanting to play for his country...meaning no disrepect to his country.....i dont care a whimp about argentina....i only care about the spurs..............go spurs go

1Parker1
06-05-2008, 08:08 PM

It is a different style but it is still basketball. Obviously Manu, the way he plays and how crazy he is, it is a little bit different.

:angel

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-06-2008, 04:57 AM
French team will play important games in september 2008...
They will attempt to qualify for EuroBasket 2009.
Tony will not play.

Ah cool, didn't know about the games in September...Thanks.

Parker better rest up because next year with Manu hopefully on a "save Manu for the playoffs" plan, Parker is going to have to carry the scoring load.
It'd be cool if Spurs org gets lucky enough to pick up a 4th complementary scorer to save all three of our guys during regular season.

That or our bench actually gets an offense in addition to our Big three. I'm just not sure how they're going to make that work.

greens
06-06-2008, 08:01 PM

I think TP can do it. I think Tony was the scoring leader in the 2006/2007 season, right? Plus, he's an MVP.

Nice interview with Tony. He is right. Basketball is just basketball.