PDA

View Full Version : When someone says Thank You....

jcrod
06-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Does it sound/read rude or wrong if the reply is no problem or anytime....instead of the usual you're welcome. I have a tendency to say no problem or anytime. Just wondering.

Mister Sinister
06-04-2008, 05:58 PM
I don't think so. I use it as my standard response to thank you's.

SpursWoman
06-04-2008, 06:07 PM
I was taught that it's a no-no (particularly regarding anything involving Customer Service) to reply with "No problem", which infers there actually could have been a problem.

I don't think "Anytime" is that bad of a response, but a simple "You're welcome" is definitely the best.

J.T.
06-04-2008, 06:09 PM
I usually say "I appreciate it"

Or if its someone I'm familiar with, "Appreciate ya man!"

jcrod
06-04-2008, 06:15 PM
I was taught that it's a no-no (particularly regarding anything involving Customer Service) to reply with "No problem", which infers there actually could have been a problem.

I don't think "Anytime" is that bad of a response, but a simple "You're welcome" is definitely the best.

sounds right. THANK YOU.

SpursWoman
06-04-2008, 06:21 PM
You're welcome. :lol

Spurfect
06-04-2008, 06:56 PM
my boss replies with "sure" whenever we say Thank You. i always thought that was kinda weird

Capt Bringdown
06-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Sometimes I find myself saying "no problem," which I agree is wrong.
"You're welcome" is the best.

How about the clowns who say "Yeah," or "OK" in response to thank you?

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-04-2008, 07:11 PM

I remember being taught the same thing, but what I tend to do is inflect my voice if I use those words.

Dex
06-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Yeah, 'sure' could sound pretty pompous unless it's delivered the right way. Otherwise it just seems like "Sure, yeah, whatever..."

I think of the three responses, "No Problem" is casually acceptable but the least polite. Like SW said, it kind of implies that it ever could've been. My Dad pointed this out to me with customer service people when I was young, and its stuck with me through my jobs.

I think "Anytime" is nice and casual, but not professional.

Few people actually say "You're welcome" anymore, and you know if they do, it's either how they were raised, or they make a point to do it. It's one of those things that seems to be sieving out of society, unforunately.

Dex
06-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Or you can always just a reply with a nice "Fuck Off!" :toast

Slydragon
06-04-2008, 07:21 PM
I say NP, just like that. actually I always say no problem.

Borosai
06-04-2008, 07:28 PM
I usually say "you're welcome," but I also like to throw in the occasional head nod, thumbs up, or "whatever man."

jcrod
06-04-2008, 08:17 PM
How about saying "Thank You" as your response back. I say that sometimes.....I'm all over the road.

jcrod
06-04-2008, 08:18 PM
You're welcome. :lol

:lol I was wondering what response you would give back.

E20
06-04-2008, 08:18 PM
I pull a Hogde Stansson.

Brutalis
06-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Depends.

My grandma says thank you, I will reply you're welcome, or anytime mo, or whatever.

If a friend says thanks bud, I'll say sure, anytime, it's cool, you might need to help me one day, or something of the sort.

If it's a complete stranger, not counting a lady I am attracted to, I reply sure, yep, no problem, take it easy. Meaning yeah I didn't mind and have a good one.

Chief
06-04-2008, 09:25 PM
I usually say mucho gusto

T Park
06-04-2008, 09:34 PM
De nada.

missmyzte
06-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Saying "you're welcome" feels weird to me, don't know why. When my boss or Directors at work say thank you, I usually reply, "Happy to help". Cheesy, I know, but it's part of the job. For most others I just smile as an acknowledgement but don't say anything.

jcrod
06-04-2008, 11:51 PM
De nada.

:lol I use this one as well.

pawe
06-05-2008, 12:32 AM
De nada.

Meaning?

- still waiting for the meaning of mas putos from another thread. Dang i gotta learn spanish. Home depot parking lot here I come! J/K :lol

BradLohaus
06-05-2008, 01:44 AM
I say no problem to men. I say you're welcome to women - and to men if money is involved in any way.

Anti.Hero
06-05-2008, 02:06 AM
If it offends them...tough shit.

sabar
06-05-2008, 03:31 AM
de nada - it's nothing

Pretty much like no problem

People read too much into replies. I could care less if people said anything back to me, I did my part.

BigZak
06-05-2008, 03:35 AM
anytime and no problem are pretty common...if she's very hot, she gets a you're very welcome...

peewee's lovechild
06-05-2008, 08:23 AM
If you're thanking them, that means they would have done you a favor, so what the hell does it matter how they respond to your "thank you"?

peewee's lovechild
06-05-2008, 08:26 AM
de nada - it's nothing

Pretty much like no problem

People read too much into replies. I could care less if people said anything back to me, I did my part.

:tu

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-05-2008, 08:41 AM
I say "no prob", I think it's okay, if it's taken as an expression.

"You are welcome" is kinda weird if you really think about it. Even if it's the formal phrase.

I think, I get more offended when people don't say "Thank You" than if they don't bother to say "you're welcome". Like when you hold open a door or pick up something dropped.

What bothers me the most is when you pass by a stranger where it'd be awkward if you don't acknowledge them, and say "hi/hello"or "how's it going?" and they say nothing, even if they clearly made eye contact or turned their head :lol

It's like, wtf

mrsmaalox
06-05-2008, 11:16 AM
What bothers me the most is when you pass by a stranger where it'd be awkward if you don't acknowledge them, and say "hi/hello"or "how's it going?" and they say nothing, even if they clearly made eye contact or turned their head :lol

It's like, wtf

Yes that can be very awkward; I usually just take the initiative, make eye contact, and smile. That way if they want to say hi they don't feel strange about how to do it. Or they can just smile back. Or they can say nothing, doesn't really matter to me.