PDA

View Full Version : TJ Ford To San Antonio? (Hoopsworld)

duncan228
06-04-2008, 06:47 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=8952

Evening Scoop: TJ Ford to San Antonio?
By: Bill Ingram

It's becoming clearer and clearer that the Toronto Raptors and TJ Ford are going to part company. They will do so amicably, they'll part friends, but they're going to part company nonetheless. Ultimately, Jose Calderon is just too good to come off the bench and TJ has too much trade value to keep him sitting around. The word is that despite Ford's injury history his price tag and his upside (how about the determination it took to come back from that neck injury?) make him a hot commodity for the many teams who need help at the point.

Enter the San Antonio Spurs.

Few teams have had as much trouble finding a back-up point guard as the four-time champion San Antonio Spurs. Beno Udrih couldn't keep the job, but went on to do good things in Sacramento as a starter. Jacque Vaughn never really cracked the lineup when Tony Parker was healthy, and Damon Jones was even less successful. If Gregg Popovich had another option neither of the old-timers would have taken the court at all.

TJ Ford is a UT grad, and hangs out in Austin to mentor young Longhorns as much as possible. For those of you without a map handy, Austin is an hour north of San Antonio, it's home to the Spurs-owned Austin Toros of the NBDL, and the official NBA team of the city is the Spurs. At the rate Austin's growing it will probably be a suburb of River City before long.

It's not a stretch to say Ford lands in Spurs country, where the fans adore him and he could truly help run the team and give Parker some rest. We all know how much Popovich loves to save his starters during the regular season. A healthy TJ gives him the option to take another five minutes per game off of Parker's shoulders, and also gives his a great option to use should Parker get hurt. Don't be surprised to see TJ get a lot of play from the Spurs this summer.

Kori Ellis
06-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Jacque Vaughn never really cracked the lineup when Tony Parker was healthy, and Damon Jones was even less successful.

:lmao

He thinks Damon Jones was on the Spurs.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-04-2008, 06:49 PM
God damn it, I thought I was gonna beat you. You beat me right down to the submit thread click.

timvp
06-04-2008, 06:50 PM
ROFL.

HoopsWorld is forever clueless. The Spurs aren't going to pay $8.5 million a year for a backup point guard. Ingram has always been the stupidest basketball writer on earth but this is even stretching it.

When HoopsWorld reaches a new low, they somehow always find a way to go lower. Amazing.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Strongly doubt they even attempt to sign Ford.

Ocotillo
06-04-2008, 06:51 PM
I was thinking the reason he was less successful is he was not even on the roster.

Mr.Bottomtooth
ROFL.

HoopsWorld is forever clueless. The Spurs aren't going to pay $8.5 million a year for a backup point guard. Ingram has always been the stupidest basketball writer on earth but this is even stretching it.

When HoopsWorld reaches a new low, they somehow always find a way to go lower. Amazing.

You should take a look at their mock draft. It's sickening.

Spurs16212
I just saw that myself and it would be an interesting move... I know he has been hurt but it is true that he has been an upside and I am sure he will be an improvement over what Damon Stoudamire did this past season...

Also I am interested to see what happens in the draft... I like Mario Chalmers and believe he can make the roster for next season if the Spurs pick him up.

It will be an interesting offseason for many teams including the Spurs.

celldweller
06-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Can he play D?

celldweller
That would be a nice pick if true.

timvp
You should take a look at their mock draft. It's sickening.The best way to read a HoopsWorld article is to print it out.

And then throw it away.

Joe Schmoogins
what a sweet pick up that would be...

couple questions:

could TJ thrive in a bench role?
and what's the price tag?

timvp
06-04-2008, 06:53 PM
There's more of a chance that the Spurs are going to somehow acquire LeBron James than the Spurs trading for Ford to be a $8.5 million backup.

duncan228
06-04-2008, 06:54 PM
The best way to read a HoopsWorld article is to print it out.

And then throw it away.

:lmao I put it in the title to warn people!

timvp
06-04-2008, 06:58 PM
:lmao I put it in the title to warn people!Nicely done :tu

Russ
06-04-2008, 07:00 PM
No hint of info from either team on this idea -- pure speculation from the author (albeit pleasant to think about).

Ocotillo
06-04-2008, 07:01 PM
I love how when someone posts a Hoopsworld article there is a race to sneer at it.

BTW timvp, that picture of R.C. while appropriate for this time of year reminds me of Elton John. Goodbye Yellowbrick Road.

AFBlue
06-04-2008, 07:07 PM
To put something out there without a shred of credible evidence that either team is interested in making a transaction....that's just irresponsible journalism.

And then to not even expound on how or why it would take place except to say that it just so happens Ford lives 1hr away from SA....that's just retarded.

No mention of his $8M salary as a "backup" or the fact that neither he or Parker are big enough or good enough shooters to stay on the floor together....

Bottom Line: Idiotic.

angelbelow
06-04-2008, 07:11 PM
damon jones did do worst considering he didnt get ANY playing time.

timvp
06-04-2008, 07:12 PM
I love how when someone posts a Hoopsworld article there is a race to sneer at it.If even one thing they've ever written had became reality, there wouldn't be the race. According to HoopsWorld, Malone should be a Spur, Manu should be on the Nuggets and Parker was guaranteed to be drafted by the Celtics.

If the Spurs trade for an $8.5 million backup, I'll apologize.

BTW timvp, that picture of R.C. while appropriate for this time of year reminds me of Elton John. Goodbye Yellowbrick Road.True. However, I can't change what is.

:hat

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-04-2008, 07:14 PM
They also said Finley was a free agent last year and was gonna sign with the Magic.

Ocotillo
06-04-2008, 07:14 PM
I should have followed up the sneer statement with a :lol . I agree with the sentiment it's just funny that several people pounce on it right away.

Mulletino
06-04-2008, 07:29 PM
It would be nice to see TJ in a Spurs jersey.
Who the hell is Damon Jones?

Hoopsworld is whacked out.

picnroll
06-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Ford has made it clear he wants to be and thinks he should only be a starter. Guess this puts Parker in contention with Manu for the sixth man award.

Bring it on Argies.

Mr. Body
06-04-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm not a smart man but I know this is one of the worst sports articles I've ever seen. San Antonio is perhaps the last destination for TJ Ford.

jag
06-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Hoopsworld has Miami taking Jared Bayless with the #2 pick in their mock draft...need i say more...

ChumpDumper
06-04-2008, 09:43 PM
I offered to be the suspension of disbelief editor for Hoopsworld year ago.

ShoogarBear
06-04-2008, 09:55 PM
I can just see Damon Jones now becoming another in the distinguished line of Spurs mid-season over-the-hill-guards acquisitions.

TDMVPDPOY
06-04-2008, 10:44 PM
8.5m can get us a bench of supporting casts...fok that

pawe
06-05-2008, 12:16 AM
8 million for a glassman? No way, he might get injured while practicing with Horry and Bruce!

LakerLanny
06-05-2008, 12:37 AM
I thought Damon Wayans was outstanding for the Spurs in 2004.

Pero
06-05-2008, 06:26 AM
ROFL.

Not only that, TJ Ford is like almost a shorter and faster version of Beno with poorer shooting, he sucks off the bench, and he also complains about it even if he is getting minutes...

spurscenter
06-05-2008, 06:30 AM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=8952

Evening Scoop: TJ Ford to San Antonio?
By: Bill Ingram

It's becoming clearer and clearer that the Toronto Raptors and TJ Ford are going to part company. They will do so amicably, they'll part friends, but they're going to part company nonetheless. Ultimately, Jose Calderon is just too good to come off the bench and TJ has too much trade value to keep him sitting around. The word is that despite Ford's injury history his price tag and his upside (how about the determination it took to come back from that neck injury?) make him a hot commodity for the many teams who need help at the point.

Enter the San Antonio Spurs.

Few teams have had as much trouble finding a back-up point guard as the four-time champion San Antonio Spurs. Beno Udrih couldn't keep the job, but went on to do good things in Sacramento as a starter. Jacque Vaughn never really cracked the lineup when Tony Parker was healthy, and Damon Jones was even less successful. If Gregg Popovich had another option neither of the old-timers would have taken the court at all.

TJ Ford is a UT grad, and hangs out in Austin to mentor young Longhorns as much as possible. For those of you without a map handy, Austin is an hour north of San Antonio, it's home to the Spurs-owned Austin Toros of the NBDL, and the official NBA team of the city is the Spurs. At the rate Austin's growing it will probably be a suburb of River City before long.

It's not a stretch to say Ford lands in Spurs country, where the fans adore him and he could truly help run the team and give Parker some rest. We all know how much Popovich loves to save his starters during the regular season. A healthy TJ gives him the option to take another five minutes per game off of Parker's shoulders, and also gives his a great option to use should Parker get hurt. Don't be surprised to see TJ get a lot of play from the Spurs this summer.

i brought this up long time ago

how funny

polandprzem
06-05-2008, 06:32 AM
The best way to read a HoopsWorld article is to print it out.

And then throw it away.

My printer had an error when I wanted to print this :(

mrspurs
06-05-2008, 07:54 AM
true or not..as long as he isnt another euro style shooter...then id take my chances...of all the euro players ive seen....besides manu,scolla and gasol who plays nba style basketball, i wouldnt waste anymore time with euro players....but you wont convince pop and buford....they love euro players....problem is...usa money isnt as good as euro money....the dream to play in the nba was about money.....it aint about the money anymore........go spurs go

Pero
06-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Not only that, TJ Ford is like almost a shorter and faster version of Beno with poorer shooting, he sucks off the bench, and he also complains about it even if he is getting minutes...

MoSpur
06-05-2008, 09:15 AM
The Damon Jones line wipes away all (if there were any) truth to this article.

Spurs Brazil
06-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Pathetic article

Hoopsworld is terrible