PDA

View Full Version : swap picks with NJ?

Joe Schmoogins
06-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Rumor has it that the Nets are willing to part with one of their 3 picks (10,21,40) due to the fact that they have too many young guns as it is. What would it take to get the Nets 21st pick? And would it be worth it? This would increase our chances at landing either Batum, Rush, CDR, etc... all of whom would be great additions for next year and into the future.

:flag:

angelbelow
06-04-2008, 07:14 PM
it would probably guarantee 2 of the 3 you mentioned as well as open the door to many of options. im not sure what it would take tho.

nets are most likely looking for veteran presence/bench/leadership. could they be interested in a sign and trade with finley and our 26th? are we willing to trade udoka even tho bowen is a lot older? could they be interested in oberto? id might be willing to look into all those options.

tav1
06-04-2008, 07:16 PM
splitter rights?

exstatic
06-04-2008, 07:19 PM
There are a number of teams looking to trade either down or out of the first round, including Denver and Washington, who are both before #21.

Ocotillo
06-04-2008, 07:21 PM
What about the trade exception?

timvp
06-04-2008, 07:22 PM
To go from 26 to 21, it probably wouldn't take that much. Probably something like absorbing one of their trash contracts (Maurice Ager?). Unless a lot of players opt out of the draft, the value of picks from 20 to 30 isn't that much different. Spurs would probably just sit in their spot in the draft and pray ... like they usually do.

It's amazing that the Spurs haven't traded up in the first round since Pop arrived in 1994.

Joe Schmoogins
06-04-2008, 07:24 PM
It's possible they may not even want our 26th pick, since they say they already have too many youngsters as it is. What if we could snag there pick without giving up ours? It's highly unlikely but would still be cool to think about. We could give them Finley, and Vaughn to be a couple of veteran mentors in their lockerroom... We could also send them Splitter's rights and whatever else. Just a thought...

Buddy Holly
06-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Does Batum even slip past Toronto at 17?

timvp
06-04-2008, 07:28 PM
It's amazing that the Spurs haven't traded up in the first round since Pop arrived in 1994.The closest the Spurs were to ever trading up was in 2004. The Spurs had a done deal with Utah for pick number 21 if Jameer Nelson was still on the board. Nelson got picked 20th :shootme

In 2001, the Spurs had a deal with Cleveland at 20, IIRC, to get Richard Jefferson if he fell. He instead got picked at the end of the lottery.

A.H 21-50
06-04-2008, 07:29 PM
The better way to acquire a pick is to giving some cash considerations like portland last year with jones and fernandez

you can have two good picks by moving like that

coachmac87
06-04-2008, 07:30 PM
or why not go for the 10th?

package splitter our 26th finley and some one else

A.H 21-50
06-04-2008, 07:33 PM
The closest the Spurs were to ever trading up was in 2004. The Spurs had a done deal with Utah for pick number 21 if Jameer Nelson was still on the board. Nelson got picked 20th :shootme

In 2001, the Spurs had a deal with Cleveland at 20, IIRC, to get Richard Jefferson if he fell. He instead got picked at the end of the lottery.

What's the buzz with Cook last year , seems like the spurs wanted him

JamStone
06-04-2008, 07:34 PM
To go from 26 to 21, it probably wouldn't take that much. Probably something like absorbing one of their trash contracts (Maurice Ager?). Unless a lot of players opt out of the draft, the value of picks from 20 to 30 isn't that much different. Spurs would probably just sit in their spot in the draft and pray ... like they usually do.

Ager makes $1 million next season. I'm sure they would rather dump Trenton Hassell or Stromile Swift.

timvp
06-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Ager makes $1 million next season. I'm sure they would rather dump Trenton Hassell or Stromile Swift.Spurs can't absorb those contracts. Even if they could, it'd cost a lot more than moving up from 26 to 21.

timvp
06-04-2008, 07:38 PM
What's the buzz last year with Cook , seems like the spurs wanted himYeah Cook was their first option, Splitter was the second option. I don't remember if the Spurs were just hoping that Cook would drop or if they were going to try to trade up for him if he fell a couple more spots.

Joe Schmoogins
06-04-2008, 07:46 PM
or why not go for the 10th?

package splitter our 26th finley and some one else

if we moved up to number 10 we could grab someone along the lines of Joe Alexander, Anthony Randolph, or Danilo Gallinari... it's nice to dream!

Mr. Body
06-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Does Batum even slip past Toronto at 17?

No. I mark Toronto or Cleveland as the very limit of his destinations.

AFBlue
06-04-2008, 07:50 PM
I think I read somewhere that most GMs are hesitant to deal w/ San Antonio because the scouting department is so good. They're afraid they'll give up the next Duncan or Parker or Ginobili.

There's opportunity nearly every year, and I think this year is no different. But, I wonder two things...

1) Will teams be willing to deal with the Spurs?

2) Is there someone that the Spurs REALLY want enough to trade up for?

AFBlue
06-04-2008, 07:52 PM
If Bill Walker's stock keeps rising, I think the Spurs may move up to get him....but he's the only one I've read that the Spurs are interested in that might not be on the board when they pick.

Mr. Body
06-04-2008, 07:57 PM
If Bill Walker's stock keeps rising, I think the Spurs may move up to get him....but he's the only one I've read that the Spurs are interested in that might not be on the board when they pick.

In all honesty...

1) I don't think the 'Spurs' scouting is so good' so teams don't want to get burned reputation holds anymore. No championship = less of a threat.

2) You have any evidence Bill Walker is budging from the second round at all?

3) I deeply, sincerely hope the Spurs don't trade up in order to catch a guy like him, if he does move out of their range. I just don't get it. Not worth the risk and extra ducats.

picnroll
06-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Wonder how far up the draft totem pole the rights to Splitter could get the Spurs? Probably not much past mid-late teens with a draft swap but if a very good player were there that the Spurs wanted would they trade the pussy?

A.H 21-50
06-04-2008, 08:06 PM
In all honesty...

1) I don't think the 'Spurs' scouting is so good' so teams don't want to get burned reputation holds anymore. No championship = less of a threat.

3) I deeply, sincerely hope the Spurs don't trade up in order to catch a guy like him, if he does move out of their range. I just don't get it. Not worth the risk and extra ducats.

i agree with the statement on walker 2)-3)

coachmac87
06-04-2008, 08:07 PM
walker expected to go 22 in chad ford mock draft

timvp
06-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Wonder how far up the draft totem pole the rights to Splitter could get the Spurs? Probably not much past mid-late teens with a draft swap but if a very good player were there that the Spurs wanted would they trade the pussy?If Splitter re-signs with Tau, packaging his rights and pick 26 might get you pick 24.

timvp
06-04-2008, 08:13 PM
If Bill Walker's stock keeps rising, I think the Spurs may move up to get him....but he's the only one I've read that the Spurs are interested in that might not be on the board when they pick.I like Walker at 26. He'd be a swing for the fences. Can't fault the team for going that route.

But yeah, trading up to get him I wouldn't agree with. He's already a risk at 26. Giving up additional assets makes him an even bigger risk.

AFBlue
06-04-2008, 08:15 PM
In all honesty...

2) General "draft buzz", a solid workout (20lbs lighter), and word from a K-State coach that the Spurs are one of the teams interested.

Don't forget that this kid was pegged for the lottery before his ACL injury and has taken a while to regain some of that elite athleticism.

3) Not sure I got the buzz with Dequan Cook, an undersized 2-guard that basically has one skill; to shoot....but hell, I trust that the Spurs FO has done much more scouting on these players than you or I have.

Bottom Line: It's only based on what I've read/heard, but Walker seems to be rising up draft boards (Ford has him at #22) and there appears to be interest from the Spurs.

Take it FWIW.

Mr. Body
06-04-2008, 08:15 PM
walker expected to go 22 in chad ford mock draft

Do you have a link to his page? I've tried to google it and failed (clearly google's fault and not mine).

Ford was the first to have Batum falling to the Spurs at 26. Needless to say I think he's full of shit.

coachmac87
06-04-2008, 08:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-080602

picnroll
06-04-2008, 08:23 PM
If Splitter re-signs with Tau, packaging his rights and pick 26 might get you pick 24.

The assumption is that if Splitter signs now with Tau he'll be even less likely to pass up the money a couple of years from now. Someone, somewhere made a good point that Tau isn't that rich a club and they are swinging for the fences to get a Euroleague title with a young nucleus but they don't have the money ultimately to sustain with the big boys, like CSKA and Barcelona. Something like what Macabi did. Particularly true about not holding onto Splitter if he doesn't develop a lot more consistency. I don't think it's that much of a foregone conclusion he wouldn't be available in a couple of years that an NBA team might not take a flyer for a few draft slots, particularly if he pick is one they're not that anxious to keep.

jag
06-04-2008, 08:24 PM
I like Walker at 26. He'd be a swing for the fences. Can't fault the team for going that route.

But yeah, trading up to get him I wouldn't agree with. He's already a risk at 26. Giving up additional assets makes him an even bigger risk.

Like a Marcus Williams - swing for the fence?

timvp
06-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Like a Marcus Williams - swing for the fence?Naw, that was more like attempting to bunt for a base hit but then popping out to the catcher. Marcus Williams had the upside of Monty Williams. Bill Walker had Vince Carter upside before tearing his ACL for a second time. Now his potential isn't quite VC but it's up there.

Ocotillo
06-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Speaking of Chad Ford's column, he has Batum going to the Rockets right ahead of us. That is something they would like in Houston, the same thing we are looking for, a long small forward who can be in the rotation.

AFBlue
06-04-2008, 08:33 PM
I wouldn't go by Ford like it's God's word or anything, but he talks to GMs and goes to the workouts just like the guys from DX and I'm sure NBAdraft.net.

Ford saw a good workout and heard the "buzz" on Walker, so he put him firmly in the first round. DX didn't see or hear the "buzz", but it's interesting to note he's now in the first round as well.

I'm not saying the Spurs will have to move up to draft him, but based on what I've read/heard, he might be a player that the Spurs feel is worth moving up to grab if they have to.

tav1
06-04-2008, 08:34 PM
I'm not sure about moving up (unless it was into the lottery up) but I do like the idea of buying a draft pick. This draft has many of the type of players the Spurs could use. Even in the 20s. For example, both Walker and Batum could be available in the 20s. The question is, who is selling?

General question: cash considerations, how does that work? Can you only give as much as the player picked is due to make under the rookie scale, or something different?

AFBlue
06-04-2008, 08:40 PM
I like Walker at 26. He'd be a swing for the fences. Can't fault the team for going that route.

Low-balling his potential I'd put him at Bonzi Wells. Having him live up to his potential....?

I guess you and I arguing his value is pretty pointless since the Spurs ultimately make that decision, but FWIW I think if the Spurs want him and have to move up to get him....they should do it.

exstatic
06-04-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm not sure about moving up (unless it was into the lottery up) but I do like the idea of buying a draft pick. This draft has many of the type of players the Spurs could use. Even in the 20s. For example, both Walker and Batum could be available in the 20s. The question is, who is selling?

General question: cash considerations, how does that work? Can you only give as much as the player picked is due to make under the rookie scale, or something different?
$3M, max.

AFBlue
06-04-2008, 08:42 PM

Usually adding cash to a draft day deal makes up for some relative value in the way of picks, but it doesn't usually absolve the gaining team from giving up future picks.

I'm sure they have charts on the value of each pick for this year and the next prior to going into the draft.

jag
06-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Marcus Williams had the upside of Monty Williams.

Classic.

Speaking of Chad Ford's column, he has Batum going to the Rockets right ahead of us. That is something they would like in Houston, the same thing we are looking for, a long small forward who can be in the rotation.

Batum will be gone before pick 20. Too many teams see what everyone at ST sees. He's got way too much upside to land at 26...he'll be a tayshaun prince type of player.. and there aren't many teams that are willing to pass that up.

tav1
06-04-2008, 08:50 PM
$3M, max.

From what timVP is indicating, and I have no reason to doubt him, the Splitter rights are shit. This is deflating to me, but it is what it is. But maybe the Splitter rights are just the right kind of shit to make our 3 million more worthwhile than another team's 3 million.

I've said this elsewhere, but I'd feel out Phoenix at 15 and work my way back. Offer the 3 million and Splitter to everyone who is selling and see if you can't land another #1. Two firsts and a couple of fliers/stash aways in the second seem like the way to go. That improves our pipeline dramatically.

Mr. Body
06-04-2008, 08:53 PM
The assumption is that if Splitter signs now with Tau he'll be even less likely to pass up the money a couple of years from now. Someone, somewhere made a good point that Tau isn't that rich a club and they are swinging for the fences to get a Euroleague title with a young nucleus but they don't have the money ultimately to sustain with the big boys, like CSKA and Barcelona. Something like what Macabi did. Particularly true about not holding onto Splitter if he doesn't develop a lot more consistency. I don't think it's that much of a foregone conclusion he wouldn't be available in a couple of years that an NBA team might not take a flyer for a few draft slots, particularly if he pick is one they're not that anxious to keep.

There's nothing preventing Splitter from moving to a richer European team if Tau can't keep him after two.

Allanon
06-04-2008, 08:55 PM
This is a very shallow draft, even a #10 pick is probably gonna be trash unless you get really, really lucky. With no luck, 4 years from now you won't know who he is.

21 pick? Most likely won't know who he is in after next season.

Joe Schmoogins
06-04-2008, 09:07 PM
This is a very shallow draft, even a #10 pick is probably gonna be trash unless you get really, really lucky. With no luck, 4 years from now you won't know who he is.

I disagree. I think there are going to be quite a few promising role players coming out of this draft.

jag
06-04-2008, 09:07 PM

I see the exact opposite...all i've heard these past few months is how deep this draft is. A guy like Batum would have gone top 5 in weaker drafts ('06).

Mr. Body
06-04-2008, 09:25 PM

The opposite, in my view. There are lots of question marks throughout the lottery; not even the top two players are certainties; several guys are considered top 10 locks who may not even be passable players, like Lopez and Gallinari; the top shooting guards have tons of question marks, like Bayless and Gordon; the big man prospects everywhere are untested and years away; a guy like Joe Alexander is zooming up the board as much out of board weakness than his strengths.

The draft is sketchy at every point, but this translates more to depth, because there is naturally less risk in later picks. It's the early second round where I see the most value, and perhaps the very late teens and 20-22.

mystargtr34
06-04-2008, 09:45 PM

Pretty much what you said, but the opposite.

BOHOLANO#21
06-04-2008, 10:18 PM
nah. i think the Spurs just needs to stay at their current position and just roll the dice.

The Truth #6
06-04-2008, 11:00 PM
I think the Spurs should pinpoint their priorities and target key players that fit their needs. If they need to trade up to get those players then they should try to do so. I hope they don't just roll the dice. Obviously, it's hard to say who they'll be able to get in free agency, but I don't think they should expect anything and draft with their priorities in mind.

K-State Spur
06-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Low-balling his potential I'd put him at Bonzi Wells. Having him live up to his potential....?

I guess you and I arguing his value is pretty pointless since the Spurs ultimately make that decision, but FWIW I think if the Spurs want him and have to move up to get him....they should do it.

He'll be Bonzi if he does NOT pan out.

The main questions I have on him are that I have doubts he will be ready to contribute until year 3.

GSH
06-26-2008, 12:07 AM

It's amazing that the Spurs haven't traded up in the first round since Pop arrived in 1994.

Is Ager for sure a washout? He looked like he had some promise at Michigan, and his first few summer league games with Dallas he put up a lot of points. But I didn't see him after that until the Kidd trade. I looked up his D-League stats, and he put up some points and knocked down 3's at a pretty good percentage.

A decent second-tier player would still have had a tough time making the Mavs roster the last couple of years, so the fact he didn't see minutes for them isn't necessarily a death sentence. Any chance of taking on his contract as part of a deal, and then actually getting some value from him?