PDA

View Full Version : Larry and Pop

Russ
06-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Larry Brown and Pop have a history of funneling helpful players to each other.

In 2001 Pop turned Larry on to Raja Bell whom the Spurs had over the summer but had to release.

In 2003 Larry sent Speedy Claxton to the Spurs in a draft day trade.

Add to the mix the fact that Larry Brown absolutely detests Phil Jackson and the Lakers and he likes Pop and the Spurs. Given that situation, I could see Larry trying to help Pop out (and hurt Phil and the resurgent Lakers) assuming that it also helps (or at least doesn't hurt) the rebuilding of the Charlotte Bobcats :), Larry's new team.

The Spurs need a scoring and defending 2-3 swingman to try to stay with the Lakers. On offense they need this guy to help stop the Spurs' legendary scoring droughts when the Big 3 go cold. On D, they need him to help chase the Lakers around in their "triangle offense."

So whom on the Bobcats' roster (1) could help the Spurs and (2) would also be someone that Larry Brown might be willing to part with during his rebuilding phase?

The pickins look pretty slim to me. The only two possibilities look like Jason Richardson or Gerald Wallace. Are they too high value for the Spurs to aquire? Or are they not valuable enough to help the Spurs "need" areas? Would Larry Brown consider moving either?

Wallace may be more realistic, in part because he's had some injury problems lately.

Any thoughts?

LakerHater
06-04-2008, 07:28 PM
[quote=Russ;2577221]Larry Brown and Pop have a history of funneling helpful players to each other.

In 2001 Pop turned Larry on to Raja Bell whom the Spurs had over the summer but had to release.

Add to the mix the fact that Larry Brown absolutely detests Phil Jackson and the Lakers and he likes Pop and the Spurs. Given that situation, I could see Larry trying to help Pop out (and hurt Phil and the resurgent Lakers) assuming that it also helps (or at least doesn't hurt) the rebuilding of the Charlotte Hornets, Larry's new team.
Charlotte Hornets?

timvp
06-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Pretty good idea. The Spurs have passed on Wallace a lot of times so I doubt they want him now that his contract is so big and lasts forever. Richardson would fit but the remaining money on his contract is ridiculous. Plus Richardson was handpicked by MJ and I doubt he'd give him up for nothing.

Would probably have to aim lower. Maybe Jared Dudley if Brown doesn't like him for whatever reason.

But here's a scary name that kinda makes sense: Adam Morrison. Pop gushed about Morrison back when Morrison was lighting it up for Gonzaga. I doubt Morrison would last a day in Charlotte once Brown steps on the practice court. I wouldn't want to see it but Pop liked Morrison a few years ago ......

Russ
06-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Pretty good idea. The Spurs have passed on Wallace a lot of times so I doubt they want him now that his contract is so big and lasts forever. Richardson would fit but the remaining money on his contract is ridiculous. Plus Richardson was handpicked by MJ and I doubt he'd give him up for nothing.

Would probably have to aim lower. Maybe Jared Dudley if Brown doesn't like him for whatever reason.

But here's a scary name that kinda makes sense: Adam Morrison. Pop gushed about Morrison back when Morrison was lighting it up for Gonzaga. I doubt Morrison would last a day in Charlotte once Brown steps on the practice court. I wouldn't want to see it but Pop liked Morrison a few years ago ......

I thought about Morrison but was afraid Pop would nix him for his D (and his contract).

Also, ACL has a scary ring to it.

However, sometimes the best idea is to buy when a stock is down -- the guy seems fearless on offense and he can shoot.

The Truth #6
06-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Morrison could hardly get his shot off before the operation, and he took plenty. His game reminds me of Danny Ferry, yet without the nuanced, dirty play that kept Ferry in the league. I'm not sure what we would gain with Morrison. We need explosive athleticism and he's pretty much the opposite. However, he would absolutely be a fan favorite with his long hair and heavy metal moustache. He cried when Rage Against the Machine broke up. That might endear him to at least a few people in San Antonio. And it would give Oberto, Bonner, and Bones another member for their indie rock band.

angelbelow
06-04-2008, 07:47 PM
morrison actually makes a lot of sense..

wisnub
06-04-2008, 07:52 PM
I thought about Morrison but was afraid Pop would nix him for his D (and his contract).

Also, ACL has a scary ring to it.

However, sometimes the best idea is to buy when a stock is down -- the guy seems fearless on offense and he can shoot.

I agree. He will be a nice addition. Boy need insulin, but he's fearless and really want to win. I mean dude was crying in the middle of court when Gonzaga got knocked out. I still remember when he teared us apart in a game in SA. He's a scorer, also knock down 3, his defense is questionable but he's young and his pick is high in his draft class...who knows he will improved

Splitter case really hurt us coz he might be all we need. Now we need Ian to step up to fill the gap.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Morrison can't do shit but score. No rebounds, no assists, no defense, no nuthin.

picnroll
06-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Morrison? Please God no.

Russ
06-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Morrison could hardly get his shot off before the operation, and he took plenty.

Correct. But that just shows he can't be a big scorer on a bad team.

He can't create when he has absolutely no help.

With the Spurs, of course, everyone gets shots -- open shots. It's just a question of hitting them. And apparently he can (or could).

In other words, Morrison may be exactly the kind of guy who looks like a different player once he gets on a good team and just has to consistently perform a role.

In fact, he's undervalued and it may be just the time to strike.

OMG, I'm making a case for the Spurs to aquire this bust. Somebody stop me please . . . :lol :lol :lol

Axl Van Dam
06-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Larry Brown and Pop have a history of funneling helpful players to each other.

Add to the mix the fact that Larry Brown absolutely detests Phil Jackson and the Lakers and he likes Pop and the Spurs. Given that situation, I could see Larry trying to help Pop out (and hurt Phil and the resurgent Lakers) assuming that it also helps (or at least doesn't hurt) the rebuilding of the Charlotte Bobcats :), Larry's new team.

The Spurs need a scoring and defending 2-3 swingman to try to stay with the Lakers. On offense they need this guy to help stop the Spurs' legendary scoring droughts when the Big 3 go cold. On D, they need him to help chase the Lakers around in their "triangle offense."

So whom on the Bobcats' roster (1) could help the Spurs and (2) would also be someone that Larry Brown might be willing to part with during his rebuilding phase?

The pickins look pretty slim to me. The only two possibilities look like Jason Richardson or Gerald Wallace. Are they too high value for the Spurs to aquire? Or are they not valuable enough to help the Spurs "need" areas? Would Larry Brown consider moving either?

Wallace may be more realistic, in part because he's had some injury problems lately.

Any thoughts?

:wakeup Emeka Okafor is 1 player that I want from the Bobcats roster. Kid's a pretty good rebounder and not afraid to mix it up in the shaded lane. Although I'm very doubtful if Larry Brown would let him go :depressed.

exstatic
06-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Morrison is fucking horrible. A slow white guy who can barely get every one of his 37% FG attempts off. The only surprise is he didn't go to Duke.

jag
06-04-2008, 08:09 PM
morrison actually makes a lot of sense..

Maybe if you're Isaiah Thomas.

Russ
06-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Morrison is fucking horrible. The only surprise is he didn't go to Duke.

Chris Carrawell anyone?

Ocotillo
06-04-2008, 08:17 PM
:wakeup Emeka Okafor is 1 player that I want from the Bobcats roster. Kid's a pretty good rebounder and not afraid to mix it up in the shaded lane. Although I'm very doubtful if Larry Brown would let him go :depressed.

Pop is buds with Larry but I don't think he has incriminating photos of Larry

E20
06-04-2008, 08:17 PM
....................................Nazr? LMAO ROFL

We also could trade for Rasho.

Russ
06-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Pop is buds with Larry but I don't think he has incriminating photos of Larry

The proprietor of the Broadway 50-50 club might disagree. :)

JamStone
06-04-2008, 08:57 PM
I'm sure Larry Brown and Michael Jordan will give the Spurs Gerald Wallace and Emeka Okafor for draft picks.

TDMVPDPOY
06-04-2008, 08:58 PM
wtf do you want a scrub in morrison when we can look at the big picture

gerald wallace, fukn omeka oka4 bring it pop, beg if you have to

SequSpur
06-04-2008, 08:58 PM
The Bobcats suck. They don't have any players that would help the Spurs. Next.

tav1
06-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Morrisson was one of the worst players in the league before his injury, absolutely dreadful.

Dudley is not bad at all. I'd definately be open to him on the Spurs roster.

tav1
06-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Maybe we can pray that Brown is so pissed about the Gasol collusion that he sticks it to them by trading the Spurs Okafor in a sign and trade for Horry, a BBQ sandwich and some old Topps Cards. Take that Jerry West.

Thompson
06-04-2008, 09:35 PM
I believe Larry Brown was the genius that convinced us to go after Jackie Butler. I wonder who he has for us now.

BOHOLANO#21
06-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Morrison? pass.

BOHOLANO#21
06-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Maybe we can pray that Brown is so pissed about the Gasol collusion that he sticks it to them by trading the Spurs Okafor in a sign and trade for Horry, a BBQ sandwich and some old Topps Cards. Take that Jerry West.
agree.:lol

SPURSGOAT
06-04-2008, 10:47 PM

:lol:lol:lol

That would be awesome!! :king

The Truth #6
06-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Correct. But that just shows he can't be a big scorer on a bad team.

He can't create when he has absolutely no help.

With the Spurs, of course, everyone gets shots -- open shots. It's just a question of hitting them. And apparently he can (or could).

In other words, Morrison may be exactly the kind of guy who looks like a different player once he gets on a good team and just has to consistently perform a role.

In fact, he's undervalued and it may be just the time to strike.

OMG, I'm making a case for the Spurs to aquire this bust. Somebody stop me please . . . :lol :lol :lol

Those are good points. However, if we're getting nothing but a shooter then I'd prefer to hold on to Bones for one more year for less cost and less time spent pursuing the Morrison avenue. However, I do think Adam would be a "Pop guy".

Manudona
06-04-2008, 11:08 PM
I agree. He will be a nice addition. Boy need insulin, but he's fearless and really want to win. I mean dude was crying in the middle of court when Gonzaga got knocked out. I still remember when he teared us apart in a game in SA. He's a scorer, also knock down 3, his defense is questionable but he's young and his pick is high in his draft class...who knows he will improved

Splitter case really hurt us coz he might be all we need. Now we need Ian to step up to fill the gap.

WTF, the guy is horrible, I think that even Manu is better than him :rolleyes

Furthermore, you write about the guy crying in the middle of the court... If that is a good thing, why the puck there were so many posts mocking Fisher + Kobe crying. It does not make any sense to me :lmao

SPURSGOAT
06-04-2008, 11:33 PM
I remember when Reddick and Morrison going back and forth on their ppg and all the hype about it.. people kept trying to compare Morrison to Bird...:lol:lol

I think he might be ok for coming off the bench for scoring... on the other hand....forget it... he is too slow; he sux!! :sleep

Mr. Body
06-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Charlotte has one of the crappiest rosters in the NBA. Only guy I could see in this scenario is Dudley.

Russ
06-04-2008, 11:44 PM
I remember when Reddick and Morrison going back and forth on their ppg and all the hype about it.. people kept trying to compare Morrison to Bird...:lol:lol

I remember when Bird came into the league. I thought he'd just be another Scott Wedman (a slow mid-range jump shooter who couldn't drive, rebound or pass). Of course, I was wrong. Bird was Bird.

So I learned my lesson when Morrison came into the league. He looked like Bird and played the same type of game in college. I thought he'd be another Bird.

And he was another Scott Wedman. :depressed

SPURSGOAT
06-04-2008, 11:54 PM
That roster is horrible; only one I like on it is of course Okafor... would be awesome if we could land him...

Doctor J
06-05-2008, 08:36 AM
WTF, the guy is horrible, I think that even Manu is better than him :rolleyes

What are you talking about?

"Even Manu is better than Morrison"???

Can Morrison ever be compared to Manu?

MoSpur
06-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Add to the mix that Morrison led up Bowen I believe like his first game against us. That makes him an automatic cadidate for Pop to go after him. LOL

Mr. Body
06-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Add to the mix that Morrison led up Bowen I believe like his first game against us. That makes him an automatic cadidate for Pop to go after him. LOL

True story. Charlotte caught us by surprise early that year and AMMO dropped 27 on Bowen's head. A couple weeks later Bowen held him to 1 for 10 and Morrison I don't think has sniffed 27 again.

Fake Dynasty
06-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Larry and Pop can have their history of funneling each other and hating on Phil Jackson. Because Phil Jackson has a history of kicking both of their asses. So they can keep funneling Kobe punching bags to each other. Phil will just keep bustin' their fuckin ass.

MoSpur
06-05-2008, 09:07 AM
True story. Charlotte caught us by surprise early that year and AMMO dropped 27 on Bowen's head. A couple weeks later Bowen held him to 1 for 10 and Morrison I don't think has sniffed 27 again.

Yup. However, I'm afraid Morrison may have played his way into the Spurs roster that first game just like Rasho did.

Mr. Body
06-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Yup. However, I'm afraid Morrison may have played his way into the Spurs roster that first game just like Rasho did.

As if other teams' fans don't have enough reason to hate us. Don't forget Morrison was the #3 draft pick that year (!!!) and makes a lot of scratch on the rookie scale.

MoSpur
06-05-2008, 09:34 AM
As if other teams' fans don't have enough reason to hate us. Don't forget Morrison was the #3 draft pick that year (!!!) and makes a lot of scratch on the rookie scale.

Yup. I doubt the Spurs go after that guy. I would hate it if they did.

xtremesteven33
06-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Morrison is young, can score, a hustler.

wouldnt hurt to try him out.

if we can sign Artest and Morrison, i would be in heaven

Mitch Cumsteen
06-05-2008, 11:12 AM
I believe Larry Brown was the genius that convinced us to go after Jackie Butler. I wonder who he has for us now.

First thing that came into my mind. Jackie Fucking Butler, he of the $3M contract that we had to dump and the main reason given for the front office to trade Scola. Thanks a ton for that one Larry. What else have you got for us?

koriwhat
06-05-2008, 11:37 AM
The proprietor of the Broadway 50-50 club might disagree. :)

i wasn't aware 50-50 was a club i just always assumed it was a lame ass bar that i will never visit again.