PDA

View Full Version : Is upgrading to Vista worth it?

midgetonadonkey
06-04-2008, 11:57 PM
I can get a copy of Vista Ultimate Edition for $30 but don't know if it's buggy and worth upgrading?

My laptop has a 1.83 ghz processor and a 1 gb of RAM.

PM5K
06-04-2008, 11:59 PM
If it's 30.00 buy it either way, shit it's only 30.00

2GB ram would be better though....

As for buggy, not so much with SP1....

midgetonadonkey
06-05-2008, 12:04 AM
If it's 30.00 buy it either way, shit it's only 30.00

2GB ram would be better though....

As for buggy, not so much with SP1....

Would it run too slow? I like how quickly my XP loads.

And can I install it without formating my hard drive and losing all my music and junk?

CuckingFunt
06-05-2008, 12:07 AM
XP loads.

That looks like some gangsta fresh way of writing "explodes."

E20
06-05-2008, 12:08 AM
According to the Mac/PC commercials Vista sucks.

PM5K
06-05-2008, 12:10 AM
Would it run too slow? I like how quickly my XP loads.

And can I install it without formating my hard drive and losing all my music and junk?

I never compared the two as far as load times but it's certainly not significantly slower in my experience. I usually use sleep or just lock my computer when I'm away though so I really only reboot when there's an update that needs me to reboot to install.

My Vista is just as fast as XP was, but I did upgrade my ram from 1GB to 2GB since I knew Vista likes ram and 2GB is the max for my laptop so I figured I'd just go all out...

If the version you have supports upgrading from XP you should be fine, and I don't see why it wouldn't...

PM5K
06-05-2008, 12:11 AM
According to the Mac/PC commercials Vista sucks.

It's nothing special but it far from sucks.

The only problem I've ever had was some slow file operations before the service pack, and occasionally my IE will crash, but that's what I get for using that instead of Firefox....

velik_m
06-05-2008, 12:12 AM
Hm... i don't think i actually seen Vista yet. I've seen a Mac computer once. I think.

balli
06-05-2008, 12:13 AM
Don't do it. Especially with that amount of RAM and processor speed. I don't much at all about Vista, but I'm not sure it would even run on 1 GB. Why fix what isn't broken? XP rules.

PM5K
06-05-2008, 12:17 AM
My laptop (Dell Inspiron 1505) has a Core Duo @ 1.6Ghz and ran Vista fine with that CPU and 1GB RAM, I only upgraded because it was cheap to max it out, and I'd never have to worry about adding or not adding ram in the future...

Sense
06-05-2008, 12:19 AM
I can get a copy of Vista Ultimate Edition for $30 but don't know if it's buggy and worth upgrading?

My laptop has a 1.83 ghz processor and a 1 gb of RAM.

DONT DO IT.. I have it on mine... and I'm satisfied but I have 4 gb ram... I think people recommend that you have atleast 2 to be satisfied running vista...

I wouldn't do it if I were you.

sabar
06-05-2008, 12:21 AM
No. It is even more bloated than XP. Stay with XP until DX10 is mainstream. I'd suggest Server 2008 before Vista. 5 year old Pentium 3 server can boot Win Server 2k8 in a flash but it would be brought to it's knees with all the trash included with vista.

Meh, I'd avoid vista just on DRM alone.

midgetonadonkey
06-05-2008, 12:21 AM
Does it even have extra features that would make it worth the risk? From what I've seen the biggest difference is the scrolling shortcuts towards the bottom of the desktop.

Sense
06-05-2008, 12:23 AM
Does it even have extra features that would make it worth the risk? From what I've seen the biggest difference is the scrolling shortcuts towards the bottom of the desktop.

If I could downgrade to xp.. I would... vista isn't worth the upgrade... trust me.. if it ain't broke... don't break it..
lol

that's the best thing I can say.

balli
06-05-2008, 12:25 AM

No. In fact, I used it for a couple weeks and I still don't know how, but it fucked up all my music and ruined the Advanced Tags that I probably spent 40+ hours editing. Like I said, I don't know much about it so maybe I shouldn't talk, but when I was using it I didn't notice a single new and groundbreaking feature that somehow improved my life.

PM5K
06-05-2008, 12:25 AM
Here are the features:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_Vista

Have you ever seen any other computers running Vista?

It's certainly not "ground breaking" as someone up there said it wasn't...

sabar
06-05-2008, 12:28 AM
Almost every feature can be done on XP by a third party program, especially hacking the windows shell, but I find those features mostly useless.

PM5K
06-05-2008, 12:31 AM
As far as being different, I wouldn't say there's a lot that you'd notice.

I basically upgraded because I got a new laptop, and I figured it would be nice to run the newest Windows, especially since it was very capable of doing so.

My other laptop which is also an E1505 runs Windows XP and I'm fine with that also...

midgetonadonkey
06-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Fuck that. I'm not upgrading. But maybe I should buy it and throw it up on ebay for a profit.

E20
06-05-2008, 12:44 AM
I love this Mac commerical:
jDMeCRekRR0

mouse
06-05-2008, 03:21 AM
Vista has a backdoor program that allows the software you use to be silently authenticated.

So if you like to download stuff for free or use someone's games programs etc....
they will be on to you.

CubanMustGo
06-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Vista = teh suck

El Jefe
06-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Vista gets a bad rap, it's really not that bad of a product.

However, my advice is, don't upgrade. Especially not with one Gig of RAM. When I got my new laptop, it came with Vista (and 2 gigs) and I've had no complaints with it. But I've heard that upgrading an existing computer causes more issues, and typically will run slower.

If you're happy with XP, then stick with XP. If you're getting a new computer, Vista isn't a bad option.

WildcardManu
06-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Vista has a backdoor program that allows the software you use to be silently authenticated.

So if you like to download stuff for free or use someone's games programs etc....
they will be on to you.

Never heard of that

sabar
06-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Never heard of that

http://www.google.com/search?q=windows++vista+drm&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

CharlieMac
06-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Fuck that. I'm not upgrading. But maybe I should buy it and throw it up on ebay for a profit.

Do that. I bought it from UTSA too for 30 bucks about a year ago. I have a pretty decent XPS and it just drags ass. Worst decision ever. IE does crash a lot, so I've been using Opera for a while now.

angelbelow
06-05-2008, 06:16 PM
for 30 bucks it is, but you might need more ram because its going to slow down your computer a lot. vista idling already takes up to 1 gig of ram.

Newton
06-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Vista is a great idea if you want the same functionality as XP, but with 30%+ greater hardware requirements. I've cleaned the shit out of my Vista partition (I needed DX10, what was I supposed to do?) and can't get a bleeding desktop without using 800mb of RAM.

The term "Vista virus" was not written by monkeys on typewriters.

Edit: Yeah, but for $30, what the fuck? (Where are you, Hong Kong?). If it's packaged, you could always sell it.

PM5K
06-05-2008, 09:10 PM
I guess I'm just a tech guy, and for 30.00 I'd have a hard time not trying out any OS, but I'm also the guy that was downloading XP when it was Whistler, and trying a copy of OSX for X86.....

Kyle Smith
06-05-2008, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't attempt it. Maybe with a bigger computer.

spurster
06-05-2008, 09:16 PM
My recommendation is no.

As an anecdote, we have a Gateway desktop (1 GB) and a Dell laptop (2 GB) running Vista. The speed of the desktop is ok, while the laptop is a dog. I think the key is the speed of your graphics processing. Neither machine has a graphics card, but it appears that the laptop chipset is not up to the task.