PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite game of the past year?

baseline bum
06-05-2008, 12:13 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d7/Bioshockcoverfinalcropped.jpg/256px-Bioshockcoverfinalcropped.jpg

For me, it's easily Bioshock. The graphics (especially the water effects) are second only to COD4's among the games I've ever played. The art-deco style is really cool, and the lighting is spectacular (it's so difficult to make such a dark game look good, and 2K nailed it perfectly). The 50's soundtrack is the best I've ever heard in a game, and the variety of attacks and ways to kill things keeps the game fresh always. The story is worthy of a feature film, and kept me hooked. Bioshock is easily my favorite game I've played since Zelda: Ocarina of Time. The Big Daddy fights (Big Daddy is the thing you see on the cover above) are pretty intense, especially if you have your 360/PC hooked up to a good sound system.

Honorary Mention: COD4

E20
06-05-2008, 12:14 AM
Past year most likely God of War. I'm limited in my genres (Action/Adventure/RPG, some sports)

balli
06-05-2008, 12:15 AM
GTA4 with COD4 as a close 2nd. We'll see how Ninja Gaiden II works out.

Haven't played Bioshock but I just watched a youtube vid of it the other day that made me want to.

PM5K
Read the title and thought BioShock instantly, it would easily have been one of the greatest games of all time if it had even passable multiplayer...

Imagine all of those cool ways you killed the baddies in Bioshock, now imagine doing that online.

I do understand though that the great single player story was possible in part because that was the focus, and I thought it was an amazing game.

It's close between Bioshock and COD4..... Let's say Bioshock...

PM5K
You say it's worthy of a feature film, they are making it into one incase you didn't know...

sabar
06-05-2008, 12:17 AM
GTA4 by a mile. CoD4 or Portal next.

CuckingFunt
06-05-2008, 12:19 AM
God of War 2, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, and Super Mario Galaxy.

I haven't gotten to play GTA4 yet, or Bioshock, and I only played COD4 briefly.

Slydragon
06-05-2008, 12:19 AM
http://blackcatsgfx.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/cd4mw_pcminibox_web_400.jpg

Until Socom come out.

Sense
06-05-2008, 12:21 AM
GTA4 by a mile. CoD4 or Portal next.

I just got the OrangeBox and I love team fortress 2 but I have yet to try Portal..

Is it really that good?

sabar
06-05-2008, 12:23 AM
I just got the OrangeBox and I love team fortress 2 but I have yet to try Portal..

Is it really that good?

With so many games that are just rehashes of old genres, it's cool when something original like Portal comes along. It's rare today that you go "I've never seen that before" in a game, well, Portal is the definition of that quote.

Team Fortress 2 is really fun too

sa_kid20
06-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Assasin's Creed

NBA 2K8 is my favorite sports game but MLB '08 The Show is also reallly good.

Sense
06-05-2008, 12:25 AM
With so many games that are just rehashes of old genres, it's cool when something original like Portal comes along. It's rare today that you go "I've never seen that before" in a game, well, Portal is the definition of that quote.

Team Fortress 2 is really fun too

Yeah I was looking at it amazed... people say it's too short but that it's very good..

Do you have Xfire?

I'm new to TF2 and I've yet to get THAT much fun out of it like I do with CSS.

mardigan
06-05-2008, 12:34 AM
1)Bioshock
2)Orange Box (half-Life 2)
3)Assasins Creed

Btw, got Ninja Gaiden 2 today and its the shit

balli
06-05-2008, 12:38 AM
So what's the deal with Orange Box? Isn't it like some weird ass puzzles and shit? In any event I always thought Half Life 2 was the shit.

Pistons < Spurs
06-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Cod4

PM5K
06-05-2008, 12:39 AM
halo 3

HA HA HA HA

Get the fuck out with that bullshit...

I'd rather play half of Bioshock than play Halo 3....

mardigan
06-05-2008, 12:41 AM
So what's the deal with Orange Box? Isn't it like some weird ass puzzles and shit? In any event I always thought Half Life 2 was the shit.

Its got a whole bunch of games, all using the Half Life engine. Portal is a short puzzle game, Team Fortress is the online fps, and Half Life 2, plus episodes one and 2 of Half Life 2. Its worth it just for the Half Lifes.

Sense
06-05-2008, 12:43 AM
Its got a whole bunch of games, all using the Half Life engine. Portal is a short puzzle game, Team Fortress is the online fps, and Half Life 2, plus episodes one and 2 of Half Life 2. Its worth it just for the Half Lifes.

Portal and TF2 are good games.... it's apparently the best deal you can get for those games...

balli
06-05-2008, 12:43 AM
Word. Sounds cool. Thanks for the info.

mardigan
06-05-2008, 12:46 AM
And I'll already say that Ninja Gaiden 2 might be one of the best games I've ever played, really challenging.

baseline bum
06-05-2008, 12:47 AM

It's probably the best deal in video gaming history to get these 5 games for $60. Portal is a really funny game once you get 70-75% through it, and is one of the most creative titles I've seen come out lately. TF2 is a pretty badass (online-only) FPS, and there's HL2 and two sequels to it.

Valve doesn't fuck around; anything they make is amazing.

baseline bum
06-05-2008, 12:49 AM
And I'll already say that Ninja Gaiden 2 might be one of the best games I've ever played, really challenging.

Can it seriously be harder than Ninja Gaiden 1 on NES? :lol

Sense
06-05-2008, 01:12 AM
It's probably the best deal in video gaming history to get these 5 games for $60. Portal is a really funny game once you get 70-75% through it, and is one of the most creative titles I've seen come out lately. TF2 is a pretty badass (online-only) FPS, and there's HL2 and two sequels to it.

Valve doesn't fuck around; anything they make is amazing.

got it for 40

pawe
06-05-2008, 03:25 AM
Im currently downloading CRYSIS, cant wait to play it.
What for you is the best FPS war pc game?

dougp
06-05-2008, 11:14 AM
1) Bioshock
2) CoD4
3) GTA IV
4) Assassins Creed / Ace Combat 6

rAm
06-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Im currently downloading CRYSIS, cant wait to play it.
What for you is the best FPS war pc game?

You better have a computer the size of a server if you want to run Crysis at anything above extra low.

CoD4 is probably one of the best FPS I've played.

This year, I would say CoD / Orange Box / BioShock

Everything else has been a disappointment. Did someone say Assassins Creed? lol

leemajors
06-05-2008, 03:30 PM
TF2 for PC. My personal favorite since Quake 2 for online gaming.

Mister Sinister
06-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Did Warriors Orochi come out in the past year? Because that gets my vote.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Call of Duty 4

Hank the Tank
06-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Call of Duty 4 followed pretty closely by Mass Effect.

Assassins Creed was a pile of shit in my opinion.

Bioshock was fun but I consider vastly overrated. Anybody play System Shock 2? That game came out a long time ago and is superior in every aspect to Bioshock except for graphics.

jman3000
06-05-2008, 06:32 PM
cant really remember what came out last year... but id say mass effect as far as games i own.

Mister Sinister
06-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Call of Duty 4 followed pretty closely by Mass Effect.

Assassins Creed was a pile of shit in my opinion.

Bioshock was fun but I consider vastly overrated. Anybody play System Shock 2? That game came out a long time ago and is superior in every aspect to Bioshock except for graphics.
I thought AC was ok. I had fun with it. Didn't get too far, because my friends and I always took turns killing innocents, though.

Avitus1
06-05-2008, 08:51 PM
http://www.freeki.es/videos/Mass%20Effect_275.jpg

1. Mass Effect

This gets my vote as best game I played this past year. The story was really excellent and you can tell that the game creators spent a lot of time creating backstories for each species you see in the galaxy. The cut scenes while not the best graphically helped further along the story and kept you interested. The way you choose to play the main character dictates the way the story is played and in the end it just leaves you waiting for more. I could spend many a night exploring the universe of Mass Effect and still find a lot more to do there.

2. GTA 4

The first installment of the GTA series on the next gen system is excellent. Though I did wish it had the little things that made San Andrea's so enjoyable such as working out, hair cuts, ect.. they really made CJ feel customizable. However when you look past that to the real meat and potatoes of GTA you come to appreciate the time they spent on the cities and on the story. Nicco is great character whom you can almost come to care for which makes the game enjoyable for the 30 or so hours it takes to play it.

3. God of War 2

Seems a little bit late but I enjoyed God of War 2. The cutscenes weren't as creative as the ones in GOW1 but they were still pretty cool. GOW2 is pretty much GOW1 amped up to another level so if you liked GOW1 you'll love part 2. I loved it.

4. Halo 3

Yea graphically its lacking and feels more like a regular XBox Game. However the story wraps up the previous Halo games and does a nice job of leaving us to wonder "Whats next Chief?" The multiplayer as always is outstanding and will keep you playing with friends long after the game is beaten. I still play it now.

5. Assassins Creed

Another game that put a lot of time into the details that make up the city. The game has a nice historical overtone to it and will make you feel as if you stepped into the crusades. I enjoyed the game but I beat it in like four days. I rented the game from Hollywood Video and returned it beaten. So if you want a fun game rent this.

TxJudsonRocketTx
06-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Top 5 this past year for me are:

#1/#2 Mass Effect and Bioshock (Xbox 360 and PC)
These two are pretty much interchangable at 1 and 2 so I can't pick one or the other, loved them both.

I hardly ever played single player games but my dad had Mass Effect laying around and once I picked it up I got lost in the story for about a week and it was the first game I have really just LOVED playing on console in a long time.

When Bioshock came out I had just got my new PC and was looking for something to push the graphics a little and Bioshock did just that. Like Mass Effect the storyline of the game is fucking amazing and the graphics and fun factor are at the top of any game over the last year. Playing this game at night was even better as I freaked myself out every 5 minutes or so. Bioshock and Mass Effect are the closest any games have ever come to being truly seen as art forms imo.

3. Call of Duty 4 (PC)

For any fan of PC FPS games COD4 ranks up there with counter-strike and unreal tourney as far as the best of the genre is concerned. Nothing better than calling in an airstrike in a fully packed server.

4. Halo 3 - Xbox 360
I was never a big fan of the Halo series or console games outside of Madden and the NBA2K series, but Halo's single player and multiplayer modes delivered one of the better gaming experiences of the past year.

5. Super Money Ball Banana Blitz (Wii)
As far as graphics and hype go this is a huge drop from #4 on the list but I had to include the most fun wii game I played this year. Tons of great mini games and awesome multiplayer, Monkey Ball was probably the most fun I had this year playing with family and friends at home. Easily the best party game on the Wii

Fernando TD21
06-08-2008, 07:39 AM
Crysis > Gears Of War > the last episode from HL2 > CoD4 > Bioshock. But I also play a lot of Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars.

ElNono
06-08-2008, 12:04 PM
I couldn't stand Bioshock. And I really, really tried to like it.
Mass Effect was good. I'm still playing GTA4 and I have COD4, AC and Halo 3 on my queue.
Not enough time to play as much as I would want to these days.
I'm definitely looking forward to Fallout 3 in the fall.

Trainwreck2100
06-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Best single player Bioshock
Best multi player COD4

COD4 on veteran is a bitch though, i can't get past the sniper stage when you have to survive until the chopper comes

resistanze
06-08-2008, 04:57 PM
1) Mass Effect
1a) COD4

Brutalis
06-08-2008, 06:53 PM
For me it's Halo 3. I am a Halo fan from the books and video games. There is not a better storyline to a game that is more deserving of a movie. Don't understand why there is so much red tape.

However I have not played many games this and last year.

-CoD4
-Bioshock
-Mass Effect
-GoW
-GTA4

Played none of em.. at all.

I did play AC for a while, it got boring.

Brutalis
06-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Read Bioshock on wiki, and it didn't interest me at all. The whole thing sounds silly, and juvenile. It must be the graphics or action during the game that make up for all this popularity.

Heath Ledger
06-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Would have to be Fusion Frenzy 2 for me.

PM5K
06-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Read Bioshock on wiki, and it didn't interest me at all. The whole thing sounds silly, and juvenile. It must be the graphics or action during the game that make up for all this popularity.

What sounded silly or juvenile about it?

Brutalis
06-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Just an observation from not even playing it. I might go pick it up at Wally World here in a bit.

Can't decide. I here so much good about Bioshock, but it's between that, CoD4 and GTA4.

PM5K
06-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Just an observation from not even playing it. I might go pick it up at Wally World here in a bit.

Can't decide. I here so much good about Bioshock, but it's between that, CoD4 and GTA4.

But what sounded silly or juvenile about it?

I'd go with COD4 if you play on Live....

TxJudsonRocketTx
06-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Read Bioshock on wiki, and it didn't interest me at all. The whole thing sounds silly, and juvenile.

Yeah not really sure how you come to that conclusion especially after reading the Wikipedia entry that has this in the first paragraph:
"The game received overwhelmingly positive reviews... It was particularly well-reviewed in the mainstream press where its "morality-based" storyline, immersive environment and Ayn Rand-inspired dystopian setting were all singled out for praise.[18] BioShock has been praised for providing "an entirely new tool through which to explore philosophy, psychology, and morality."[19]"

Brutalis
06-08-2008, 08:51 PM
The suit this guy with the giant screw hand has looks silly. The story of the underwater city looked juvenile, as for the reasons of creating it.

Like I said, I don't know much about it. Anyways, I read it's based in the 50s or 60s, which totally covers the reason the guy looks a bit out of date. The YT videos I watched has me wanting to check it out now. It looks pretty cool, as does the scary effect it gave me.

I am inactive on live, (JawsTheme is me) because I moved. I live in the boondocks so me and my uncle got Hughes Net (satellite.) I am 200 yards away from the router and dish mounted at his place. So my connection really sucks.. and I am not sure what I can do about it now.

I may end up getting CoD4, I watched it on YT and it looks intense. However, what leaves me timid is the length of the game. I don't remember which, but the previous CoD i had played was really short and pissed me off.

PM5K
06-08-2008, 08:54 PM
This one is very short, between eight and ten hours.

Bioshock is supposed to be longer, I've heard as many as twenty hours, but you'll probably finish it in less than fifteen.

If you want length go with GTA4...

As much as I liked COD4 it was very short, and I didn't feel like replaying it again, well only certain levels.

I would however like to play Bioshock again...

PM5K
06-08-2008, 09:01 PM
This guy looks silly, but I never thought the big daddy in the game did...

Too bad you don't have Live, you could get the demo...

http://hijinksensue.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/2007-08-23-big-daddy-costume.jpg

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-08-2008, 10:50 PM
COD4 on veteran is a bitch though, i can't get past the sniper stage when you have to survive until the chopper comes

Save all your flashbangs and grenades when you get there, hide behind the building across from the building where you get the intel item, and just wait until the chopper shows up. Then when it shows up, make a run for it while throwing all your flashbangs and grenades.

NASpurs
06-09-2008, 06:20 AM
The Orange Box was such a great value that I'll list that one since few people did. Can't go wrong with it.

TxJudsonRocketTx
06-09-2008, 10:47 AM
This guy looks silly, but I never thought the big daddy in the game did...

Too bad you don't have Live, you could get the demo...

http://hijinksensue.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/2007-08-23-big-daddy-costume.jpg

The Big Daddys are honestly the most badass characters I have ever seen in any game
http://www.cnet.com.au/story_media/339281409/bioshock-collectors-edition-gets-remixed_1.jpg

I listed COD4 as one of my top games, but if you're not going to play it online, I wouldn't waste your money. Bioshock was one of the most enjoyable single player games of the past year, only other close one was mass effect

ATRAIN
06-09-2008, 11:15 AM
COD4 gameplay was fun but too short, online however was bad ass. Assasians Creed gameplay was fun even though repetitive.

Trainwreck2100
06-09-2008, 01:45 PM
I liked the enrage bioshock weapon, throw the red ball and let em kill each other

mardigan
06-09-2008, 01:46 PM
I would however like to play Bioshock again...

I played through Bioshock multiple times, and every time I found new shit. Great freakin game.

PM5K
06-09-2008, 02:26 PM
I played through Bioshock multiple times, and every time I found new shit. Great freakin game.

Yeah I really didn't get into all the different ways you could kill baddies because I was so into the story.

The more you guys talk about it the more I want to play it again.

I rented it right when it came out and then took it back, but now I could get it for 35.00 or less, and there are a couple of new plasmid downloads that weren't out when I had it....

TxJudsonRocketTx
06-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Yeah I really didn't get into all the different ways you could kill baddies because I was so into the story.

The more you guys talk about it the more I want to play it again.

I rented it right when it came out and then took it back, but now I could get it for 35.00 or less, and there are a couple of new plasmid downloads that weren't out when I had it....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bioshock-Xbox-360-Great-Condition_W0QQitemZ330243178180QQcmdZViewItem?hash =item330243178180&_trksid=p4295

resistanze
06-10-2008, 05:56 PM
For me it's Halo 3. I am a Halo fan from the books and video games. There is not a better storyline to a game that is more deserving of a movie. Don't understand why there is so much red tape.

However I have not played many games this and last year.

-CoD4
-Bioshock
-Mass Effect
-GoW
-GTA4

Played none of em.. at all.

I did play AC for a while, it got boring.

All those games you listed I would put over Halo 3, and I liked Halo.

Joe Schmoogins
06-10-2008, 08:02 PM
mine sweeper 2008

sribb43
06-11-2008, 03:26 PM
1. NBA 2k8
2. MLB '08 The Show
3. GTA4