PDA

View Full Version : Tiago Splitter to pick between Tau and Spurs soon

timvp
06-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Reports came out of Spain and Brazil that Tiago Splitter had already agreed to sign a two-year extension with Tau. While Splitter initially didn't offer any indication either way, he's now stating publicly that he's unsure of his decision.

In the meantime, Splitter and Tau won the ACB (Spanish League) championship. Here is a YouTube of the celebration. Splitter is the tall guy who almost brains himself with the championship trophy.

8KXVll6ErBY

Here is a translation (major props to diego for the translation) of an interview Splitter gave after the championship:

Interview translation:

¿Is this title the high point of your career?
Yes, its an incredible moment. Its what i always dreamed of and it finally happened.

Besides, theres few people with more history in the team than you...
This is where i grew as a player. Since i was a kid i identified with the team philosophy, in the day to day... I feel it and am proud of it.

I assume leaving brasil for the basque country at age 15 is now worth it...
When I arrived i was a quiet, hard working boy... The only thing i wanted was to practice and play. It worked out well.

The first game of the final was your coming-out game as a great big man.It was against barca, in a stage like the Palau... ¿did you feel it that way?
Yes. It was a game where they hadnt prepared their D for me, and i felt comfortable and good. It was very important.

In the second game you didnt do as much, but when you did it was in key moments...
They are moments of high tension, very difficult games. I like those games because you learn a lot.

Neven Spahija has been and is very questioned, but i understand you have a special bond.
yes i'm fond of him. i dont know if hes the best coach ive had, but definitely the one who has given me a spotlight. he has helped me alot.He's a players coach, and that gives way to criticism or praise. I dont think its time to speak about him leaving or staying.

From the outside this looked like the TAU team with the most internal problems. ¿Has it been so?
You cant say we havent had problems, but theyve made us stronger. I dont mean to say this is the formula for success, but when weve reached a final in good mental and physical condition it is difficult for us to lose.

in your personal case it must have been especially difficult [his sister fights leukemia]...
Its been rough, to be honest. Ive tried to be strong and concentrate on doing my job the best, but it hasnt been easy.

Though you dont want to talk about your future, its clear you have magnificent options. ¿do you feel priveleged?
When you can choose between going to the nba or staying with the champ, you feel very happy

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/baloncesto/acb/playoffs08/es/desarrollo/1131357.html

Here is another Splitter interview, however it hasn't been translated yet:

http://www.elcorreodigital.com/alava/20080605/deportes/tau/sido-increible-pesar-decision-20080605.html

Bottomline is it sounds like Splitter is having a tough time deciding whether he wants to come to the NBA to fulfill his dream and potentially strike it rich down the line or stay in Spain while playing with a team he likes and receive a lot more money in the next three seasons.

If Splitter decides to make the jump to the NBA, there's a very real possibility that he'd become the San Antonio's starting center in the next year or so. If he signs the rumored two-year extension with Tau, there's a good chance that he'll never play in the NBA.

Tiago Splitter highlight video:

HDPljS7vVtE

Expect a final answer to come from Splitter in the next couple days.

:hat

midgetonadonkey
06-05-2008, 12:25 AM
I think he will shock a lot of people and come to SA.

ChumpDumper
06-05-2008, 12:31 AM
I'm not sure if he realizes he is almost exactly what the Spurs need now. Hopefully someone from the team explains how big a role he could play on this team for the next decade.

Bartleby
06-05-2008, 12:33 AM
I think he will shock a lot of people and come to SA.

me too.

I think he is torn and doesn't want to appear ungrateful but he is probably planning to leave Tau.

koopa
06-05-2008, 12:35 AM
i hope he comes, we really need some youth injected into the front line, old cross eyes and fab ain't gonna cut it............

kobyz
06-05-2008, 12:38 AM
i wish he comes, Duncan/Splitter can really be a nice answer to Gasol/Bynum combination

Marcus Bryant
06-05-2008, 12:38 AM
Well, at least it seems to be a better situation than we thought, for the moment.

If Splitter does decide to join the Spurs, Bonner will definitely be moved. Of course, I'm assuming the Spurs would do the obvious and let Mahinmi join the active roster next season. Then the frontcourt rotation would look like:

Starters
4 Duncan
5 Splitter

Bench
4 Mahinmi
4/5 Thomas
5 Oberto

Having a big man who can shoot the 3 is a luxury, albeit a very nice one. This rotation would be a nice blend of experience, youth, and athleticism.

ducks
06-05-2008, 12:40 AM
this is good news to know BEFORE THE DRAFT
feel bad for Ian though

The Truth #6
06-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Where was the question that asked him if he's trying to break San Antonio's spirit by acting like he's still considering coming here?

I'll be happy to eat crow but I don't think he's changing his mind. I think he's feeling guilty but that's probably about it.

timvp
06-05-2008, 12:43 AM
I'm not sure if he realizes he is almost exactly what the Spurs need now. Hopefully someone from the team explains how big a role he could play on this team for the next decade.Yeah, judging by his interviews, he really doesn't realize how much the Spurs need him. And knowing how the Spurs operate in this type of situation, they aren't going to go out of their way to sell him.

I can imagine the conversation:

Splitter: I like Tau. I like the city. I like my teammates. I can make more money here for the next three years. Why do you need me to join the Spurs?

Pop: We don't need you to join the program. We want you to join the club but we don't need you.

Splitter: Alright. What kind of minutes can I expect?

Pop: You'll get the minutes you deserve. I don't guarantee Tim Duncan minutes so I can't guarantee Tiago Splitter minutes.

Splitter: Do you think I'll be able to fit a role with the Spurs?

Pop: That's up to you.

Splitter: :huh

The Truth #6
06-05-2008, 12:49 AM
I hope that's not how Pop acts. He seems to impress people by showing up at their doorstep and saying...something. Let's hope he's over there right now, and not just to drink the tempranillo.

remingtonbo2001
06-05-2008, 12:54 AM
:lol @ timvp

Blackjack
06-05-2008, 12:58 AM
Tim, Tony, and Manu better find some time to call Splitter and let him know how much he's needed. Shit! Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Beckett, Eva, and who ever the hell else is a Spur fan with any pull... It's time to earn your "Spurs!"

Here's to a nice dinner, an expensive ass bottle of wine, and Pop sealing the deal with Tiago. :lol

Marcus Bryant
06-05-2008, 12:58 AM
One way to look at it is that he's won a championship with Tau. What's left to accomplish? It's not like he'd be leaving his teammates short of the top of that mountain.

Regarding salaries, the long-term guaranteed money resides in the NBA. Yes, he'd be leaving a nice chunk on the table, but what's guaranteed for him with Tau besides those two years? If he wants to play in the NBA, he's going to have to play through that rookie contract. Radoslav got $40 mil guaranteed. A whole host of NBA bigmen have managed to land sizable long-term guaranteed contracts when their primary talent was scant more than the ability to fog a mirror with their breath.

Sure, the Spurs don't guarantee roles and minutes, but the one thing which can be communicated to him is that the starting center spot is wide open and he would have a very good shot at taking it.

2centsworth
06-05-2008, 12:59 AM
The dude isn't very good otherwise he would be running to the NBA. The money given to mediocre bigmen is insane in the NBA. For example, I think Rasho is making a gazillion dollars next year.

Guajalote
06-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Several years back, I had a close friend who pitched for the Mets, and the Indians. I'd known him since he was in grade school. He was one of those natural athletes that can throw a 90 mph fast ball and three steps later two hand reverse dunk a basketball. Just very phenomenally gifted.

He worked his way up to the majors by pitching well enough in high school to get drafted by the Mets organization. He put in his time at San Diego State and AAA ball clubs. I have him on video pitching against Barry Bonds (and brushing him back, I might add :lol). Mike Piazza caught for him, and he pitched against Mark McGuire and some other major leaguers.

Sadly for him, he tore a tendon in his elbow and underwent Tommy John surgery. After that, he never was quite the same. In my estimation, he wasn't quite good enough to continue in the majors, so he signed with a Japanese ballclub and had two really lucrative six digit paychecks, which was much more than he earned in the majors.

ALL THIS TO SAY THE FOLLOWING: If I were to ask him today where he'd like to pitch, he'd say the majors without the slightest hesitation. Why? It wasn't because of the money. It was because MLB is the best. Period.

I think the same will happen with Splitter. He realizes that he'll get a boatload of short term money with Tau, but he'll screw up his chances of ever playing in the NBA again if he does. I think he sees the NBA as the ultimate challenge, and much like the article says when he went to Spain when he was 15, he'll want to take the next and final step up.

2centsworth
06-05-2008, 01:05 AM
Dan Gadzuric is being paid 7mm per year over the next 3 years. Dan Freakin Gadzuric.

Sean Bradley made 5mm last year. Dampier is scheduled to make 9mm.

OMG if I was 7ft tall with any ability whatsoever I would be licking my chops. For this guy to second guess is a major RED FLAG that he probably sucks.

Bob Lanier
06-05-2008, 01:15 AM
I hope Splitter signs with San Antonio, but he would have to be a fool to do it.

2centsworth
06-05-2008, 01:18 AM
I hope Splitter signs with San Antonio, but he would have to be a fool to do it.

jerk off in private, why share?

ChumpDumper
06-05-2008, 01:19 AM
You know, maybe there is come kind of negotiation going on with Splitter's camp trying to get him out of the team option years of his rookie contract. It's no secret that the Spurs will have money in the summer of 2010 and his agent might be trying to get a piece of that early.

Agreeing to such a scheme would be fraught with potential problems for the Spurs, since I think Splitter will be unrestricted in such a scenario, and they certainly want to use the cap space on someone not already on the team -- but it is a way to pay him early.

sabar
06-05-2008, 01:19 AM
Yeah, judging by his interviews, he really doesn't realize how much the Spurs need him. And knowing how the Spurs operate in this type of situation, they aren't going to go out of their way to sell him.

Splitter: I like Tau. I like the city. I like my teammates. I can make more money here for the next three years. Why do you need me to join the Spurs?

Pop: We don't need you to join the program. We want you to join the club but we don't need you.

Pop: You'll get the minutes you deserve. I don't guarantee Tim Duncan minutes so I can't guarantee Tiago Splitter minutes.

CIA Pop ---> :toast :whine

SpursFan0728
06-05-2008, 01:26 AM
I still don't quite understand why money is an issue in this case

it is almost a guarantee that a NBA big men can easily earn 7/8 mill a year after their rookie scale. Even Darko who sucked during his first few years got a similar contract.

Plus there are more endorsement/commercials he could earn if he comes

why hesitate?

2centsworth
06-05-2008, 01:26 AM
You know, maybe there is come kind of negotiation going on with Splitter's camp trying to get him out of the team option years of his rookie contract. It's no secret that the Spurs will have money in the summer of 2010 and his agent might be trying to get a piece of that early.

Agreeing to such a scheme would be fraught with potential problems for the Spurs, since I think Splitter will be unrestricted in such a scenario, and they certainly want to use the cap space on someone not already on the team -- but it is a way to pay him early.

that's more than fair and if that's the angle he's playing then I'm a little bit more optimistic he's a player.

Big P
06-05-2008, 01:31 AM
Pop & RC need to handle this correctly & assure Splitter that he WILL get palying time. I know Pop doesn't like to play rookies blah blah..etc.., but this kid is different...he was a definite lotto pick & probably a top 10 pick in the draft, before his contract situation plummeted his draft stock..everything happens for a reason, we already know this kid is a winner, he needs to be mentored by Duncan ASAP...there is no waiting a year or 2...I'm a believer in Splitter & Mahinmi & IMO the sooner the better.

T Park
06-05-2008, 01:36 AM
If hes torn, then that means its a better situation than a few days ago.

I'm not optimistic hes coming, but I feel slightly better than I did when the "Two year contract" was announced.

T Park
06-05-2008, 01:37 AM
Pop & RC need to handle this correctly & assure Splitter that he WILL get palying time. I know Pop doesn't like to play rookies blah blah..etc.., but this kid is different...he was a definite lotto pick & probably a top 10 pick in the draft, before his contract situation plummeted his draft stock..everything happens for a reason, we already know this kid is a winner, he needs to be mentored by Duncan ASAP...there is no waiting a year or 2...I'm a believer in Splitter & Mahinmi & IMO the sooner the better.

Link to where Pop doesn't like to play rookies?

timvp
06-05-2008, 01:40 AM
http://www.elcorreodigital.com/alava/20080605/deportes/tau/sido-increible-pesar-decision-20080605.html

Hopefully someone will translate this article or at least summarize. My babelfish reading of it makes me think he's leaning heavily toward Tau. I think he was sold on Tau a few days ago but the Spurs probably told him the reality of how if he doesn't come now, he'll probably never come.

Most of this interview looks like he's rationalizing against joining the Spurs. Hopefully that isn't the case once a native Spanish speaker reads it.

T Park
06-05-2008, 01:44 AM
I'm not sure if he realizes he is almost exactly what the Spurs need now. Hopefully someone from the team explains how big a role he could play on this team for the next decade.

Honestly from what I'm reading, if thats what they would tell him, I think he would go Spurs.

Tiago, you have the chance to be the starting center, and be an integral part of winning the Spurs championship number 5 next year.

Come on Tiago, come over to the best league in the world :smokin

T Park
06-05-2008, 01:51 AM
Hopefully someone will translate this article or at least summarize. My babelfish reading of it makes me think he's leaning heavily toward Tau. I think he was sold on Tau a few days ago but the Spurs probably told him the reality of how if he doesn't come now, he'll probably never come.

Most of this interview looks like he's rationalizing against joining the Spurs. Hopefully that isn't the case once a native Spanish speaker reads it.

The way I could barely read it. It seems hes truly torn, but that hes unsure of the role, and if Pop will play him.

This is horribly mexican taught Spanish that I'm using, but it seems like to me, and I am an idiot and a homer, but it seems from reading it, he seems torn and I didn't see much of leaning alot to Tau. I once again can be wrong.

Marcus Bryant
06-05-2008, 02:03 AM
Based on that article, it seems that the hesitation is that the Spurs won't define his role.

It's time a real bullshitter salesman was brought in on this deal...

http://www.holtcat.com/images/history_peter.jpg

Streakyshooter08
06-05-2008, 02:12 AM
Man, I really hope he comes over. It would make the decisions for the Spurs a little easier. They could focus on a wing player and a PG in the draft and free agency.

T Park
06-05-2008, 02:16 AM
Based on that article, it seems that the hesitation is that the Spurs won't define his role.

It's time a real bullshitter salesman was brought in on this deal...

http://www.holtcat.com/images/history_peter.jpg

Ya know I've ripped on Tiago quite a bit, but if thats the case, then I'm with him.

Cut the bullshit, tell him what you'd like from him, and if he did that wha this role would be.

Quit with the fucking games.

angelbelow
06-05-2008, 02:16 AM
everyone stay positive!

BOHOLANO#21
06-05-2008, 02:17 AM
To me, sounds like Splitter wants some guaranteed role in the Spurs line up. damn, RC get him please...

Marcus Bryant
06-05-2008, 02:19 AM
Jack wanted a guaranteed role and he ended up playing for the Hawks for a guaranteed 1 year, minimal (by NBA standards) salary.

sabar
06-05-2008, 02:19 AM
The way I could barely read it. It seems hes truly torn, but that hes unsure of the role, and if Pop will play him.

This is horribly mexican taught Spanish that I'm using, but it seems like to me, and I am an idiot and a homer, but it seems from reading it, he seems torn and I didn't see much of leaning alot to Tau. I once again can be wrong.

Agreed, it seems that he is really torn on which way to go. One problem is isn't sure what his role would be, which worries me on what the Spurs will or have said in regards to that.

Blackjack
06-05-2008, 02:20 AM
I've heard him say it was his dream to play in the N.B.A, and he genuinely looked ecstatic when he came over to visit after the draft. So hopefully he won't let some short-term money get in the way of a life-long dream. Besides, the sooner he gets his ass over here, the sooner that rookie contract expires.

If for whatever reason it doesn't workout over here, he'd always be able to go back and get a similar contract. Hopefully he's just trying to say and do the right things, because he's greatful for the opportunity Tau gave him.

Marcus Bryant
06-05-2008, 02:21 AM
everyone stay positive!

Screw that I'm hitting the bottle.

ChumpDumper
06-05-2008, 02:23 AM
I would, but I have to work at noon. :dramaquee

Marcus Bryant
06-05-2008, 02:24 AM
Scola was mentioned, in reference to him joining the NBA when he was older, as in it would be preferable to be older when entering the NBA. Splitter seems to say (couldn't really parse whether it was the reporter or Splitter's words) that Scola had contract difficulties and that his situation is different.

TDMVPDPOY
06-05-2008, 02:26 AM
im willing to give him the starting center position over oberto

dont let this shit go the way the bucks fell to YIs management with actual pt minutes of 20mpg

Blackjack
06-05-2008, 02:26 AM
I would, but I have to work at noon. :dramaquee

That's why you show up to work drunk on day one. That way they'll never know the difference.:toast

ChumpDumper
06-05-2008, 02:27 AM
Oh I can get hammered after work starts. I just need to be there on time.

GSH
06-05-2008, 02:28 AM
I saw a Spanish interview where Splitter made it clear he still had not signed anything with Tau. He basically said the offer was on the table, and he was considering. I wish I had saved the link. I just assumed it would have been posted here a dozen times already.

It hasn't been that long ago that he did an interview where he said that he expected to be in the NBA in 08. No sooner, no later. The contract offer from Tau can't have been unexpected, so what would have changed? I have been hoping that this was part of their negotiation. Maybe to lose any team option years on the contract, and/or to see if the Spurs will step up and show they really want him.

That being said, it would be hard to leave millions of dollars on the table today, against more millions that might not come later. I have some doubts that he would be able to come in green and carry an NBA team. Maybe he does too. I hope they can make him understand just how much easier the transition will be with Tim Duncan on the court with him. That may seem like a no-brainer to us. But it might just sound like a lot of words to a young guy like Splitter.

Marcus Bryant
06-05-2008, 02:28 AM
Does anyone recall Emmanuel's contract negotiations going like this?

Blackjack
06-05-2008, 02:29 AM
Oh I can get hammered after work starts. I just need to be there on time.

Can't argue with that. :toast

ChumpDumper
06-05-2008, 02:32 AM
I always wondered why Manu's initial contract was only two seasons, when I seem to remember the Spurs' having a portion of the MLE available that was comparable to the LLE. Is it possible that Manu's people only wanted a two year deal because they knew the Spurs were clearing cap space for the end of that second year? It is kind of the same scenario I laid out for Splitter earlier in the thread.

BOHOLANO#21
Does anyone recall Emmanuel's contract negotiations going like this?
Manu's situation was different coz he was a 2nd round pick. The team doesn't have to follow a rookie pay scale for the 1st round picks...

SPURSGOAT

:lol:jekka

angelbelow
06-05-2008, 02:34 AM

:toast

Lake_show
06-05-2008, 02:34 AM
He should stay there if he values winning.

Marcus Bryant
06-05-2008, 02:36 AM
I always wondered why Manu's initial contract was only two seasons, when I seem to remember the Spurs' having a portion of the MLE available that was comparable to the LLE. Is it possible that Manu's people only wanted a two year deal because they knew the Spurs were clearing cap space for the end of that second year? It is kind of the same scenario I laid out for Splitter earlier in the thread.

Perhaps.

I was just musing to myself that Manu had torn up the Italian league and Euroleague, yet was able to join the Spurs without much drama. These kids...

Marcus Bryant
06-05-2008, 02:37 AM
Manu's situation was different coz he was a 2nd round pick. The team doesn't have to follow a rookie pay scale for the 1st round picks...

Did he balk at signing for less than the MLE?

ChumpDumper
06-05-2008, 02:38 AM
Perhaps.

I was just musing to myself that Manu had torn up the Italian league and Euroleague, yet was able to join the Spurs without much drama. These kids...
I think that was before CSKA became the Yankees of Euroleague.

Blackjack
06-05-2008, 02:38 AM
He should stay there if he values winning.

You should stay a Laker fan, if you value raping.

BOHOLANO#21
06-05-2008, 02:39 AM
Perhaps.

I was just musing to myself that Manu had torn up the Italian league and Euroleague, yet was able to join the NBA without much drama. These kids...
if Splitter was only a 2nd round pick, the Spurs would have more rocks to offer to him and avoid this freakin drama that's going on now.

Marcus Bryant
06-05-2008, 02:42 AM
Splitter knows what the deal is. He's not a teenager. If he wants to hide in Spain and win some forgettable trophy in a forgettable league then go for it. Ian will take that opportunity and take it to the bank.

Marcus Bryant
06-05-2008, 02:42 AM
I think that was before CSKA became the Yankees of Euroleague.

What's the largest deal they've inked?

Marcus Bryant
06-05-2008, 02:43 AM
if Splitter was only a 2nd round pick, the Spurs would have more rocks to offer to him and avoid this freakin drama that's going on now.

Manu didn't get that much more and he had accomplished a little bit more than Splitter during his Euro bball adventure.

ChumpDumper
06-05-2008, 02:50 AM
What's the largest deal they've inked?It was around here on the forum a couple of times, i'll try to find it again. I thought they had three or four deals in the neighborhood of Splitter's. That Greek nutbag was talking about their having a $33 million after-tax payroll.

JPB
06-05-2008, 02:52 AM
"San Antonio me quiere ya ahí. Tampoco me pueden describir mi rol, pero sí me dicen que su entrenador, Popovich, suele tener muy apartados a los novatos. Eso es algo que debo tener en cuenta."

San Antonio want me now. Even if they can't describe my role, but Pop is used to keeping new guys out of things. that's something I have to consider."

timvp
06-05-2008, 02:55 AM
Pop is used to keeping new guys out of things. Sounds like Tau is feeding Splitter some BS. Good young players get minutes right away under Pop. It's the flawed young players that have a problem.

Blackjack
06-05-2008, 02:56 AM
San Antonio want me now. Even if they can't describe my role, but Pop is used to keeping new guys out of things. that's something I have to consider."

Alright Pop, enough with this "honesty." Time to start acting like everone else and start......

LYING OUT OF YOUR ASS!!!!:bang

BOHOLANO#21
06-05-2008, 02:59 AM
Did he balk at signing for less than the MLE?
i can't remember if Manu was offered by his Euro team the amount of big money that Tau offered to Splitter now...Yup, Manu had already acomplished a lot at 26 in Euro basketball before joining the Spurs. who knows if he joined earlier Spurs would have win more titles.

JPB
06-05-2008, 03:00 AM
-¿Cuál es su pálpito actual?
-Es difícil. Muy difícil decirlo, pero seguro que dentro de poco, no mucho, tendréis la noticia.
-¿Le llama mucho la NBA?
-Hombre, la NBA es algo que yo siempre quise. Estoy muy contento ahora en el Baskonia después de este título. La verdad que estoy bastante dividido. Seguro que cuando tome la decisión... Quiero tomarme unos días. Tengo que hablar con mis agentes y con Josean todavía.

-What's you state of mind now ?
-that's hard. Very hard to tell the truth, but you'll got the answer sooner than later.
-How do you like NBA ?
-Man, NBA is something I've always loved. I'm very happy now in TAU with that title. The truth is I'm pretty divided. I'd like to take a few days before taking the decision. I have to talk with my agents and with Josean too.

hsxvvd
06-05-2008, 03:02 AM
Damn it.... I'm getting excited.... but I know I shouldn't.

hsxvvd
06-05-2008, 03:04 AM
Is anybody going to Spain to speak to him.... maybe Tony could swing down and sell it with Eva and maybe Splitter can find his own Desperate Housewife...

angelbelow
06-05-2008, 03:08 AM
whsoe Josean Todavia?

JPB
06-05-2008, 03:19 AM
-Es que es un chavalín. Y aquí ya ha visto que se pueden ganar títulos y en Europa será siempre un líder.
-Eso tiene mucho que ver. Al principio del año no me esperaba todo lo que iba a ocurrir. Ha sido un año increíble, estoy contentísimo y claro que eso va a pesar en mi decisión.
-¿Qué le aconseja su familia sobre este asunto?
-Mi familia, tanto la que tengo aquí como la que está en Brasil, quiere lo mejor para mí. La decisión que tome la aceptarán bien.
-¿El caso de Luis Scola lo tiene en cuenta? Me refiero a la posibilidad de cruzar el 'charco' mucho más maduro.
-Es un ejemplo pero son casos diferentes. Él tuvo más dificultad para ir igual por temas contractuales. Pero, de verdad, que todos estén tranquilos que dentro de poco vendrán noticias. Debo meditar

-[...............] And here you saw that you can win titles and always be a leader in Europe.
-[...............] It's been an incredible year, I'm really happy and it's clear it's gonna have importance in my decision.
-what is your family advicing you ?
-My family, here (in spain) and in brazil, wants the best for me; whatever my decision, they'll accept it.
- Does Scola's case have some weight on the decision ? I'm reffering to making the cross, when much more mature.
- That's an example, but both cases are different. That was much more difficult because of contract issues. But, really, be sure that in a short time, you'll got news. I have to think.

JPB
06-05-2008, 03:24 AM
whsoe Josean Todavia?

Sorry that's Josean Querejeta, Tau's owner

"todavia" is a spanish word which means "still" :lol

I only had spanish "initiation" at the university...

Brutalis
06-05-2008, 03:31 AM
I think what everybody is failing to see is the situation with his sister battling whatever heath problems she is. Apparently she has a killer illness from what I have heard.

I also read he has his family there in Europe, for his sister to have medical attention.

Him coming to the USA isn't exactly the best bet option for his family, and apparently that means a lot to him.

I don't see him here for any other reasons I can think of. I just don't.

angelbelow
06-05-2008, 03:34 AM
Sorry that's Josean Querejeta, Tau's owner

"todavia" is a spanish word which means "still" :lol

I only had spanish "initiation" at the university...

oops my mistake. thanks for info.

jcrod
06-05-2008, 03:36 AM
Rough translation and only the last portion of it.

-¿Le llama mucho la NBA?
-Hombre, la NBA es algo que yo siempre quise. Estoy muy contento ahora en el Baskonia después de este título. La verdad que estoy bastante dividido. Seguro que cuando tome la decisión... Quiero tomarme unos días. Tengo que hablar con mis agentes y con Josean todavía.

Do you want to go/play in the NBA?

Man, the NBA is somthing I've always wanted. After this title I'm really happy/content right now at Baskonia. The truth is I'm really torn/divided. I want to be sure with my decision and want to take some days to think about it. I still need to talk with my agents and Josean.

-¿Qué le dice la otra parte, San Antonio?
-San Antonio me quiere ya ahí. Tampoco me pueden describir mi rol, pero sí me dicen que su entrenador, Popovich, suele tener muy apartados a los novatos. Eso es algo que debo tener en cuenta.

What does SA say?

SA wants me there now. They can't also tell me my role, but they tell me its all up to Pop and he doesn't guaruntee roles/positions....so I have to keep that in mind.

-Es que es un chavalín. Y aquí ya ha visto que se pueden ganar títulos y en Europa será siempre un líder.
-Eso tiene mucho que ver. Al principio del año no me esperaba todo lo que iba a ocurrir. Ha sido un año increíble, estoy contentísimo y claro que eso va a pesar en mi decisión.

Its a toss up (not sure on chavalin) and here you've seen you can win championships and in Europe you're a leader.

Thats has a lot to do with it. I didn't expect all that has happen at the begining of the year. Its been an incredible year and i'm very happy and it will all play a part in my decision.

-¿Qué le aconseja su familia sobre este asunto?
-Mi familia, tanto la que tengo aquí como la que está en Brasil, quiere lo mejor para mí. La decisión que tome la aceptarán bien.

What does you family think?

My family tha is here in Brazil just want the best for me. They'll be happy/supportive with my decsion.

-¿El caso de Luis Scola lo tiene en cuenta? Me refiero a la posibilidad de cruzar el 'charco' mucho más maduro.
-Es un ejemplo pero son casos diferentes. Él tuvo más dificultad para ir igual por temas contractuales. Pero, de verdad, que todos estén tranquilos que dentro de poco vendrán noticias. Debo meditar.

Does what happened to Luis Scola cross your mind.

As I mature, I refer to the possiblity i'll cross that bridge. It's an example, but its different cases. He had trouble getting out of his contract. But..truthfully, everybody stay calm before you know it the news will be here. I should meditate.

Bruno
06-05-2008, 03:39 AM
There are some crazy numbers given for players in Europe.
There are very few players paid more than €2M/per year without taxes.
The player the most paid in Europe is Jasikevicius with €4M per year. Then you have Papoulakas at €3/3.5M per year.
Matias Smodis has sign a 2 years contract one month ago with CSKA for $2.5M per year
A reasonable guess for Splitter offer form Tau is €2M per year.

If Splitter decide to sign with spurs, it will solve a lot of problems. Spurs front court will be set and Spurs will be able to focus on the perimeter. A Duncan/Splitter/Oberto/Bonner/Mahinmi rotation is quite good and is very versatile. If Spurs FO isn't sold on some of these players, they can also re-sign Thomas.

timvp
06-05-2008, 03:42 AM
Thanks for the translations :tu

SA wants me there now. They can't also tell me my role, but they tell me its all up to Pop and he doesn't guaruntee roles/positions....so I have to keep that in mind.

Hopefully this isn't the deciding factor. Pop never guarantees minutes or roles so if that's what Splitter wants, he's not going to get it in SA.

He seems genuinely torn. The quotes read as if he's leaning toward Tau but you the Spurs at least still have a chance.

jcrod
06-05-2008, 03:51 AM

Hopefully this isn't the deciding factor. Pop never guarantees minutes or roles so if that's what Splitter wants, he's not going to get it in SA.

He seems genuinely torn. The quotes read as if he's leaning toward Tau but you the Spurs at least still have a chance.

I believe i read it wrong and leaning towards wht JPB put down.

They tell me their Coach, Pop, is usually very selective with Rookies.

It can mean either he's very high on certain rookies and likes you if he wants you now, or that he doesn't play them many minutes.

timvp
06-05-2008, 03:54 AM
My guess at the Splitter time line:

Last Summer - Splitter was truthfully happy that the Spurs picked him. He also thought he'd spend one more year at Tau and then cross the pond. At Tau, Splitter's contract at the time was peanuts and he was in Scola's shadowed.

Earlier this year - Tau offers Splitter a bigger contract. Splitter turns it down. This was around the time Splitter reiterated his future as a Spur.

A week ago - Tau offers Splitter more money, less years and gives him easier outs to the NBA. They sell Splitter on how much more he can make compared to the NBA and how it'd be easy to make the jump after year one or year two due to the lowered buyout. Also by now, Splitter was viewed as a hero and the team's best player. He became a team leader and basically took over all the spotlight Scola used to get. After contemplating everything, Splitter decided to stay with Tau.

Five days ago - The Spurs get wind of Splitter's decision and then up their pressure in trying to get him to come over. They tell him it's now or never. Maybe they spice up the offer as best they could (promise to pick up or decline option years). Splitter, now faced with a now or never proposition, has to re-think everything.

Now here we are. Splitter has a tough decision on his hands. What will the next move be? I'm sure Tau will try to up their offer even more. Will the Spurs respond by promising him a chance to start or play extended minutes? Doubtful ... then again, the Spurs really can't let Splitter get away so they may venture into unchartered territory and promise him something.

milkyway21
06-05-2008, 03:56 AM
Ian Mahinmi & Tiago Splitter + TP

led by Duncan & Manu

Bowen & Ime on defense

wow:wow

JPB
06-05-2008, 03:57 AM

-San Antonio me quiere ya ahí. Tampoco me pueden describir mi rol, pero sí me dicen que su entrenador, Popovich, suele tener muy apartados a los novatos. Eso es algo que debo tener en cuenta.

The important thing in that quote is that Tiago is clearly reffering to Pop keeping new guys out of things.

jcrod
06-05-2008, 03:59 AM
Did anybody notice the date of the article. 5/6/08. A month ago.

timvp
06-05-2008, 04:01 AM
Did anybody notice the date of the article. 5/6/08. A month ago.Naw that's the crazy Euros putting the day before the month :)

Brutalis
06-05-2008, 04:01 AM
Tiago Splitter is one hell of a name..

I bet the Spurs simply said look, now or we trade/dump you. You know what happened with Scola, and with Manu and Parker. You have the talent as they did at their age and you need to be here now or enjoy yourself.

temujin
06-05-2008, 04:03 AM
Perhaps.

1) Virtus had financial problems and couldn't offer anything (went bankrupt after Manu left).
2) The Euro/USD rate was 1.1
3) The oil was $20, and russians were not investing in euroleague basketball.
4) Manu was drafted in 99 and joined the Spurs 3 years later. That's exactly what could happen with Splitter, drafted in 2007 and potentially joining in 2010. Same age by the way.
5) Ginobili has no real ties in Italy (other than an italian passport).

jcrod
06-05-2008, 04:03 AM
Naw that's the crazy Euros putting the day before the month :)

Ah, cool..i was going to lose it after getting my hopes up again.

JPB
06-05-2008, 04:04 AM
My guess at the Splitter time line:

Last Summer - Splitter was truthfully happy that the Spurs picked him. He also thought he'd spend one more year at Tau and then cross the pond. At Tau, Splitter's contract at the time was peanuts and he was in Scola's shadowed.

Earlier this year - Tau offers Splitter a bigger contract. Splitter turns it down. This was around the time Splitter reiterated his future as a Spur.

A week ago - Tau offers Splitter more money, less years and gives him easier outs to the NBA. They sell Splitter on how much more he can make compared to the NBA and how it'd be easy to make the jump after year one or year two due to the lowered buyout. Also by now, Splitter was viewed as a hero and the team's best player. He became a team leader and basically took over all the spotlight Scola used to get. After contemplating everything, Splitter decided to stay with Tau.

Five days ago - The Spurs get wind of Splitter's decision and then up their pressure in trying to get him to come over. They tell him it's now or never. Maybe they spice up the offer as best they could (promise to pick up or decline option years). Splitter, now faced with a now or never proposition, has to re-think everything.

Now here we are. Splitter has a tough decision on his hands. What will the next move be? I'm sure Tau will try to up their offer even more. Will the Spurs respond by promising him a chance to start or play extended minutes? Doubtful ... then again, the Spurs really can't let Splitter get away so they may venture into unchartered territory and promise him something.

True.

I wouldn't say Spurs are desperate but the loss against LA brought some questions and issues. And Tiago could be an answer to that.

Spurs realize that and they may get a bit away from their usual habbits to try to get Tiago.

Even if I don't think they'll "prostitute" themselves. Tiago also has to show he wants to play for them.

timvp
06-05-2008, 04:04 AM

The important thing in that quote is that Tiago is clearly reffering to Pop keeping new guys out of things.Yeah, that's a worrisome line. But that has to be one of Tau's selling points. They are telling him that Pop doesn't play young players and he's mean to them. And how big, bad Pop will stunt his growth and he won't be able to get a large second contract because Pop doesn't play you until you're 30.

If I'm Tau, that's what I tell Splitter, too. Point to Beno and Mahinmi as examples of how Pop handles young foreigners.

Hopefully the Spurs can explain the differences in this situation and not let the Tau brainwashing win.

BigZak
06-05-2008, 04:15 AM
Pop should be on his knees, not playing hardball...

Joe Schmoogins
06-05-2008, 04:19 AM
is there any word on if Pop actually made it out to see him? I'm hoping he did. If so, I'd feel a whole lot better about this thing. Pop, more then anyone understands the importance of having Splitter on the team. I trust him more than anyone to know the right things to say.

angelbelow
06-05-2008, 04:37 AM
any any confirmation on whether pop has personally talked to tiago or not would be great.

Borosai
06-05-2008, 05:05 AM
Splitter is a lurker here. He knows what's up.

Get your ass over here!

Slomo
06-05-2008, 05:16 AM
I think what everybody is failing to see is the situation with his sister battling whatever heath problems she is. Apparently she has a killer illness from what I have heard.

I also read he has his family there in Europe, for his sister to have medical attention.

Him coming to the USA isn't exactly the best bet option for his family, and apparently that means a lot to him.

I don't see him here for any other reasons I can think of. I just don't.

I'm surprised you're the only picking up on this.

Just to add to your post. A big € contract will go a long way to secure top notch medical treatment for his sister and probably finance the family while in Europe. All of this becomes very difficult on a NBA rookie salary. If he had to throw caution to the wind for only himself the decision would be a lot easier.

Maybe there's a creative way of addressing his family situation?

Guajalote
06-05-2008, 07:11 AM

Since this part seems to be so interesting and critical, here's my best translation (I'll be as literal and give any options/nuances possible and let the reader decide).

-- What do they/it tell you the other part/side, San Antonio?

-- San Antonio wants me already there. (Tampoco is the opposite of tambien which means "as well" or "also") Neither can they describe me my role, but (he's either saying yes they do, or possibly if they do) they (not sure who "they" is Tau or someone else) tell me that their coach, Popovich, (solerse means to be accustomed to or in the habit of) is in the habit of to have very (apartados can be translated separated from, removed, or put aside) put aside the rookies. This is something that I should take into account.

This is my best translation. Awesome job to all the others for the translation. I am always in awe of the sheer talent here. Just my two cents worth.

Supergirl
06-05-2008, 07:19 AM

it is almost a guarantee that a NBA big men can easily earn 7/8 mill a year after their rookie scale. Even Darko who sucked during his first few years got a similar contract.

why hesitate?

But the rookie contract is 3 years, 4th year at team option. So the choice is get paid big money now, risk never playing in the NBA (who knows what the landscape will look like in 3-4 years) or take a relatively paltry rookie contract ("paltry"in NBA terms is "only" 300K, let's be real about this) and have a chance to help the Spurs win another title or two.

It comes down to whether he values money or winning more. Manu would certainly have chosen winning. Manu DID choose winning. Duncan chose winning. Both those guys turned down slightly less money to stay with the Spurs and help them win championships. But not everyone has the same priorities.

CubanMustGo
06-05-2008, 07:45 AM

why hesitate?

If Timothy F Duncan can't score endorsement deals in SA there's no way that Splitter's gonna get anything playing here. I don't think HEB pays all that well.

I hope he'll come but unless someone is going to sign him to a $5M/year "personal services contract" he ain't comin'.

1Parker1
06-05-2008, 08:07 AM

Just to add to your post. A big € contract will go a long way to secure top notch medical treatment for his sister and probably finance the family while in Europe. All of this becomes very difficult on a NBA rookie salary. If he had to throw caution to the wind for only himself the decision would be a lot easier.

:tu I thought about that too as soon as I heard about his sister's illness. I'm pretty sure anybody else in that situation would not take a big career risk at that point and do what's best for his family. Him being so far away from his sister and making less $$ factors in to his decision.

tav1
06-05-2008, 08:08 AM

Charity Foundation is the way to go. I'd contribute, and so would the rest of the team. Maybe Holt could kick things off with a proper contribution.

ForeignFan
06-05-2008, 08:12 AM

:rollin

Well that is basically the rule everywhere (as using the metric system rather than inches/foot, and kilos rather than pounds) except in former England provinces & dominions

picnroll
Yeah, that's a worrisome line. But that has to be one of Tau's selling points. They are telling him that Pop doesn't play young players and he's mean to them. And how big, bad Pop will stunt his growth and he won't be able to get a large second contract because Pop doesn't play you until you're 30.

If I'm Tau, that's what I tell Splitter, too. Point to Beno and Mahinmi as examples of how Pop handles young foreigners.

Hopefully the Spurs can explain the differences in this situation and not let the Tau brainwashing win.

If Splitter can't figure out the gaping hole existing at the big man position with Horry, and likely Thomas gone, a useless Bonner and incumbents of Oberto and a raw Mahinmi to play beside Duncan, the minutes available, coupled with the need to spend any available cash at the swing position, then he not only lacks confidence but he's not very bright either.

1Parker1
Look at those YouTube videos...man the SPurs would be good if they landed him. Duncan's job would be about 10 times easier with that guy in the middle. And I can just imagine him running the break with Parker and Ginobili.

1Parker1
06-05-2008, 08:15 AM
You could also look at them winning a championship with Tau this year as a good thing or a bad thing. He may see it as he has an opportunity to win a lot more there with Tau and come back and defend his title. Or he could look at it as, well he's accomplished his international goal, now he can try and accomplish his NBA goal and win a championship there.

:pctoss I just want to know one way or another. I'm tired of getting my hopes up.

Indazone
06-05-2008, 08:23 AM
Yeah, judging by his interviews, he really doesn't realize how much the Spurs need him. And knowing how the Spurs operate in this type of situation, they aren't going to go out of their way to sell him.

I thought he'd be taking Oberto's minutes on the miniscule chance that he actually does come over?

kobyz
06-05-2008, 08:27 AM

in europe the number of the day is first ofand the number of the month is second 5/6/08 - in europe = 6/5/08 - in usa

temujin
06-05-2008, 08:27 AM
Look at those YouTube videos...man the SPurs would be good if they landed him. Duncan's job would be about 10 times easier with that guy in the middle. And I can just imagine him running the break with Parker and Ginobili.

2 years time and Duncan will have to fight for his minutes with this kid.

The guy is that good.

10ppg and 6rpg in his rookie year, guaranteed.

MoSpur
06-05-2008, 08:37 AM
I would not be surprised if he stays over there because of the money. Its not uncommon for someone to take more money. However, him winning the championship may make him feel like, what else can I accomplish over here.

I just want him to announce it already so we can stop thinking about what he's gonna do and move on.

Fernando TD21
06-05-2008, 08:38 AM
I wouldn't blame him if he chooses to stay there.

Is there a deadline for him to make the decision?

rascal
06-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Agreed, it seems that he is really torn on which way to go. One problem is isn't sure what his role would be, which worries me on what the Spurs will or have said in regards to that.

If he beleives in himself and is good he should not be concerned about his role, he will be playing.

degenerate_gambler
06-05-2008, 08:51 AM
If he's really torn then I think after Splitter has gotten input from those around him, he's going to ultimately take the easy, comfortable route and $tay.

Penya
06-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Naw that's the crazy Euros putting the day before the month :)

Day<Monyh<Year

Our order is more logical than yours:lol.

People in Vitoria say that Tiago WILL stay there.

picnroll
06-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Looks like Rudy Fernandez has a pair and will sign with the Blazers.

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Mr. Body
06-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Looks like Rudy Fernandez has a pair and will sign with the Blazers.

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Blazers are absolutely loaded with young talent. Plus a draft pick that could net them Joe Alexander, a guy they don't exactly need.

GrandeDavid
06-05-2008, 09:44 AM

Its time for Duncan to pull a Robinson and fly over to Spain or wherever he is now together with Buford and Pop and recruit the shit out of this cat.

Bartleby
06-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Its time for Duncan to pull a Robinson and fly over to Spain or wherever he is now together with Buford and Pop and recruit the shit out of this cat.

Manu would probably be a good person to take along for a number of reasons.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-05-2008, 09:57 AM

Since this part seems to be so interesting and critical, here's my best translation (I'll be as literal and give any options/nuances possible and let the reader decide).

-- What do they/it tell you the other part/side, San Antonio?

-- San Antonio wants me already there. (Tampoco is the opposite of tambien which means "as well" or "also") Neither can they describe me my role, but (he's either saying yes they do, or possibly if they do) they (not sure who "they" is Tau or someone else) tell me that their coach, Popovich, (solerse means to be accustomed to or in the habit of) is in the habit of to have very (apartados can be translated separated from, removed, or put aside) put aside the rookies. This is something that I should take into account.

Wow, Tiago's worried about the doghouse already.

I think Tony should also accompany Tim and Manu (for the "INTERVENTION!
"), while we're at it, tell Splitter that the situation is different, and more like Parker's for 2009. Where we needed a PG and Pop was more willing to take a chance.
What annoys me though (and it may be unwarranted), is the slight implication, that the guy doesn't believe or isn't proud enough to think he'll be good enough to show his talent, and prove himself to be an exception to Pop's reluctance to trust rookies.
The NBA has the greatest players and competition, if you love the game, you'd want to be there.
Hopefully these are the things that have kept us waiting, and he chooses the NBA NOW option.

nkdlunch
06-05-2008, 10:00 AM
if he really has to think that hard to come to NBA or not. he is not ready and he will not come this year.

nil.ball
06-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Luis 2.0

Loren Woods+2nd Round Pick+Cash for the rights to talk with Splitter!
G'it done!
:lol

Indazone
06-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Luis 2.0

G'it done!

^

lol you just know it's coming. :rollin

AA2120
06-05-2008, 10:13 AM
im not getting my hopes up...

Bartleby
06-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Luis 2.0

G'it done!

hey, the one hit wonder is back. Get some new material, man. It wasn't even clever the first few times.

SenorSpur
06-05-2008, 10:18 AM
I wouldn't blame him either if he decides to stay. To me, it would be the next crack in the front office's single-threaded, "all-Euro, all-the-time", drafting philosophy. Scola and Beno being the first two.

TDMVPDPOY
06-05-2008, 10:24 AM
man i wonder....the players who have left this organization or still actively playing in the world, we can almost field a 2nd team with them....

javtokas
splitter
scola
beno
a.daniels
claxton
jax

then you have the studds who were at trainin camp over the years, getting there due around the world or on any other teams....

salmon
barnes

Dex
06-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Please please please please please don't stick with Tau. I'm gonna be really pissed if this offseason ends up starting with another draft flub.

Splitter needs to see from Manu and Tony that if you deserve to be out on the court, you'll get the time. Even as a rookie.

Buddy Holly
06-05-2008, 10:30 AM
If Timothy F Duncan can't score endorsement deals in SA there's no way that Splitter's gonna get anything playing here. I don't think HEB pays all that well.

I hope he'll come but unless someone is going to sign him to a $5M/year "personal services contract" he ain't comin'.

Tim makes 3.5 million in endorsements. That's better than most in the NBA.

People like Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Antawn Jamison, Amare Stoudemire, Baron Davis, Jermaine O'Neal, Jason Kidd make less than Duncan in endorsements.

Buddy Holly
06-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Luis 2.0

G'it done!

Did you just copy and paste this same lame ass post from the other Splitter thread?

mystargtr34
06-05-2008, 10:31 AM
^

:lol you act like your Front Office drafted Tiago Splitter.... instead you took Aaron Brooks :toast

Marcus Bryant
06-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Tim makes 3.5 million in endorsements. That's better than most in the NBA.

People like Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Antawn Jamison, Amare Stoudemire, Baron Davis, Jermaine O'Neal, Jason Kidd make less than Duncan in endorsements.

Not to mention Splitter would have some possibilities in his homeland...

Buddy Holly
06-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Not to mention Splitter would have some possibilities in his homeland...

Not to mention, that Tim has a notoriously dull personality in the media and to the average fan, yet he's still cranking out 3.5 million.

Indazone
06-05-2008, 10:41 AM
man i wonder....the players who have left this organization or still actively playing in the world, we can almost field a 2nd team with them....

javtokas
splitter
scola
beno
a.daniels
claxton
jax

then you have the studds who were at trainin camp over the years, getting there due around the world or on any other teams....

salmon
barnes

By Jax is am assuming you mean Stephen Jackson?
PPG 20.1
RPG 4.40
APG 4.1
EFF + 16.85

WildcardManu
06-05-2008, 10:49 AM
By Jax is am assuming you mean Stephen Jackson?
PPG 20.1
RPG 4.40
APG 4.1
EFF + 16.85

I miss Jax

Guajalote
06-05-2008, 10:51 AM
^

I'd seriously consider changing your avatar. It looks a lot like a guy that finally managed to squeeze out a duty that happens to have Houston Rockets on it. :lol

Indazone
06-05-2008, 10:54 AM
I'd seriously consider changing your avatar. It looks a lot like a guy that finally managed to squeeze out a duty that happens to have Houston Rockets on it. :lol

Haha, that avatar is actually the original and first logo of the Houston Rockets.

Indazone
06-05-2008, 10:55 AM
:lol you act like your Front Office drafted Tiago Splitter.... instead you took Aaron Brooks :toast

At least our draft pick showed up at training camp. :lol

Guajalote
06-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Haha, that avatar is actually the original and first logo of the Houston Rockets.

Just joshing. Thanks for having a good sense of humor about it.

jag
06-05-2008, 11:06 AM
The Spurs might have to do something drastic to counter this chess game with Tau. Sending Damon up there just might be that move...it might catch Splitter off guard, and in his state of bewilderment, he may inadvertantly sign a contract.

picnroll
06-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Splitter is destined to fulfill his lifetime dream of playing for a third rate team in a second rate league.

Guajalote
06-05-2008, 11:12 AM
This could be a stretch and all (and I'm keeping in mind the terrible situation with his sister), but I think this could be Splitter's way to avoid another Scola situation. Think about it. What's the quickest way for a foreign player to get to the NBA? Make somebody want you. What's the quickest way to make somebody want you? Make them think that they're about to lose you.

Come on Tiago! You can DO IT!

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x309/Guajalote/belakarolyi.jpg

whottt
06-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Maybe Tiago wants the big money now so he can help pay for his sister's cancer treatments?

It's possible...and would anyone fault him for doing that?

I wouldn't.

Coach Norman Dale
06-05-2008, 11:18 AM
You know, in the ten years that I coached, I never met anybody who wanted to win as badly as I did. I'd do anything I had to do to increase my advantage. Anybody who tried to block the pursuit of that advantage, I'd just push 'em out of the way. Didn't matter who they were, or what they were doing. But that was then. You have special talent, a gift. Not the Spur's, not the NBA's, not Spain's, not Tau Ceramica's, not mine. It's yours, to do with what you choose.

Because that's what I believe, I can tell you this: I don't care if you play on the team or not.

PDXSpursFan
06-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Interesting. It seems that he's main concern coming to SA is about playing time, not taking less money (like a lot of us though). He's hearing that the Spurs want him now, but (of course) no PT promises. Tau is obviously telling him that he won't get much PT at SA because Pop doesn't play rookies. I don't like our chances of him coming. Hopefully, the Spurs FO office is busy trying to persuade him . I think it would be extremely helpful if Manu and Tony talk to him.

Marcus Bryant
06-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Pop started 19 year old Frenchman Tony Parker (formerly of Paris Basket Racing :wtf ) at point in his 2nd NBA game when there wasn't really an incumbent starter. Surely 23 year old Brazilian Tiago Splitter (currently of Spanish Tile Company) should be able to take that starting 5 spot.

1Parker1
06-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Wait, this article is from June 1st and it's been confirmed of his decision:

The San Antonio Express-News confirms that forward Tiago Splitter has agreed to sign a two-year deal with Tau Ceramica and stay in Spain. Splitter could make no more than $970,000 if he joined the Spurs, but his deal with Tau Cermica may be worth eight times that amount.
Our View: The Spurs need to get younger, and they were hoping this 2006 first-round pick would come to the States this summer. The 6-11 big man is projected to be a good complement to Tim Duncan, but it sounds like we won't find out if that tandem would have worked well together.

http://www.rototimes.com/nba/player.php?tqid=1619&type=news&nid=33322

whottt
06-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Pssst: Hey Tiago, Oberto starts for the Spurs.

Marcus Bryant
06-05-2008, 11:41 AM
Wait, this article is from June 1st and it's been confirmed of his decision:

The San Antonio Express-News confirms that forward Tiago Splitter has agreed to sign a two-year deal with Tau Ceramica and stay in Spain. Splitter could make no more than $970,000 if he joined the Spurs, but his deal with Tau Cermica may be worth eight times that amount.
Our View: The Spurs need to get younger, and they were hoping this 2006 first-round pick would come to the States this summer. The 6-11 big man is projected to be a good complement to Tim Duncan, but it sounds like we won't find out if that tandem would have worked well together.

http://www.rototimes.com/nba/player.php?tqid=1619&type=news&nid=33322

The SAEN article it cites merely parroted other reports that Splitter was rumored to have agreed to an extension.

PDXSpursFan
06-05-2008, 11:48 AM
The Spanish article is from today - notice the date . In Spanish the day goes first, so 05.06.08 = June 5, 2008.

picnroll
06-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Maybe Tiago wants the big money now so he can help pay for his sister's cancer treatments?

It's possible...and would anyone fault him for doing that?

I wouldn't.

I seriously doubt that there would be any obstacle to providing medical care for Splitter's sister including any associated costs. We've assisted a child who has bone marrow transplants x2 for leukemia for recurrences, so far with good response.

smrattler
06-05-2008, 12:16 PM
I don't think Splitter realizes how important to me it is for him to sign with the Spurs.

If he ever does, I'm sure he'll leave Cermic Tau and come state side!

BacktoBasics
06-05-2008, 12:26 PM
You know, in the ten years that I coached, I never met anybody who wanted to win as badly as I did. I'd do anything I had to do to increase my advantage. Anybody who tried to block the pursuit of that advantage, I'd just push 'em out of the way. Didn't matter who they were, or what they were doing. But that was then. You have special talent, a gift. Not the Spur's, not the NBA's, not Spain's, not Tau Ceramica's, not mine. It's yours, to do with what you choose.

Because that's what I believe, I can tell you this: I don't care if you play on the team or not.
Nominated!!!!!

angelbelow
06-05-2008, 01:42 PM
god damn still no news..

rayray2k8
06-05-2008, 01:47 PM
There really shouldnt be any replys, unless it's news on Tiago Splitter.
Honestly, I didnt know about his sisters illness and that may very well
effect his decision.
If he's thinking down the line whats best for him, then his choice SHOULD
be the NBA.
Even if the spurs cant afford to keep him, im sure some other team will
throw a lot of money at him to have him play on their squad.
I for one, will not get my hopes up about this guy, though I'll keep an
eye out for this topic.

Spurs Brazil
06-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Tiago thinking Pop keep rookies in the doghouse is bad but I hope Pop can talk to him and said it's not true. It'll only depend on him to get the minutes.

Pop started TP in his 4th NBA game, Beno played good minutes behind TP as a rookie. I think Pop needs to talk to him.

I think Tiago wants to go to the NBA but agents and Tau are making things very difficult

Mr. Body
06-05-2008, 03:20 PM
He's gonna come. I've decided.

Bruno
06-05-2008, 03:22 PM
It's disappointing how we get nothing about Splitter from SA newspaper. With Ludden gone and Pop not doing his radio show this year, the amount of infos about Spurs is at an all time low.

Splitter taking his time is a good sign for Spurs. Two days ago he won the Spanish league and yesterday he had a parade with Tau. It's noteworthy that despite all this, he didn't sign with Tau and didn't even say that he will do it. There are some positive signs in the latest developments of this story.

Yes, we can (get Splitter).

urunobili
06-05-2008, 03:26 PM
It's disappointing how we get nothing about Splitter from SA newspaper. With Ludden gone and Pop not doing his radio show this year, the amount of infos about Spurs is at an all time low.

Splitter taking his time is a good sign for Spurs. Two days ago he won the Spanish league and yesterday he had a parade with Tau. It's noteworthy that despite all this, he didn't sign with Tau and didn't even say that he will do it. There are some positive signs in the latest developments of this story.

if he finally comes it'll be fun to quote many guys here ready to hate him forever! :king

Mr. Body
06-05-2008, 03:27 PM
I know the way you know about a good melon.

diego
06-05-2008, 03:39 PM
i only just got around to reading the thread, here's my translation of the pertinent parts of the interview (not to hate on the other translations, but this might be a little better!):

-A question no one has asked. ¿Can it be said you will continue in Tau?
-That's a question many have asked. But its something Josean (Querejeta)(tau owner), my agents and I will study. You will know soon

-¿Which way are you leaning now?
-Its difficult. Very difficult to say, but surely in a little while, not much, you'll have the news.

-¿Does the NBA appeal to you?
-Man, the NBA is something ive always wanted a lot. I'm very happy now in TAU after the title. The truth is i'm really torn. Surely when i make the decision... I want to take a few days. I need to speak with my agents and (tau owner).

-¿What does the other party say, San Antonio?
-San Antonio wants me there now. They cant elaborate on my role, but i've been told their coach, Popovich, usually keeps his rookies at bay. That's something i've got to take into account.

-Its that he's a "cool dude". And here he has seen that he can win titles and in Europe he can be a leader. (I didnt make this "question" up!)

-That has a lot to do with it. At the beginning of the year I didnt forsee everything that would happen. Its been an incredible year, I'm really happy and obviously that will affect my decision.

-¿What advice does your family give on the matter?
-My family, as much the ones here as the ones in Brazil, want the best for me. Whatever decision i make they will accept.

-¿Do you keep in mind Luis Scola's case? I refer to the possibility of crossing the pond more mature.
-Its an example but the situations are different. He had more difficulty because of contract issues. But, really, everybody relax you will get your news soon. I have to ponder (the issue).

he's definitely leaning toward TAU. the only possible explanation i can think of, is that he is under serious pressure from the local fanbase/media and thats why he's chummy with them, otherwise, it looks like he's too happy there to contemplate leaving.

as a sidenote, reading those interviews from Spain was painful. they dont even ask questions most of the time! and splitter speaks like a full-blooded spaniard too. not to hate on spaniards, but man do they talk funny.

timvp
06-05-2008, 04:05 PM
It's disappointing how we get nothing about Splitter from SA newspaper. With Ludden gone and Pop not doing his radio show this year, the amount of infos about Spurs is at an all time low.Yeah, San Antonio Spurs coverage is horrible right now. McDonald and Monroe have no contacts with the team, Pop seemingly quit radio forever and nobody else in the organization even interviews. Presti and Carlesimo at least liked to get in front of the camera. Last summer was bad but I'm going to assume this summer is going to be the worst ever.

Yes, we can (get Splitter).The longer Splitter takes, the better news that is for the Spurs. If Splitter had his mind made up, he could have just announced it at the parade.

But on the other side of the coin, I assume that Splitter can't be officially signed by the Spurs until July 9th. Even if he picks the Spurs at some point, Tau will have another month to talk to him and try to convince him. If he picks Tau, he can sign right away.

I still think he's leaning toward Tau and that the hesitation is because the Spurs told him it's now or never ... but we'll see.

Spurs Brazil
06-05-2008, 04:08 PM

I'm also disappointing there's nothing in Brazil newspapers but I think we'll have some news soon. He'll arrive here for the NT training camp.

angelbelow
06-05-2008, 04:14 PM
He's gonna come. I've decided.

:toast

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-05-2008, 04:17 PM

:lmao That's so true.

1Parker1
06-05-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm really happy and obviously that will affect my decision.

:depressed

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-05-2008, 04:44 PM
I know the way you know about a good melon.

You gave Tiago a squeeze?

Bruno
06-05-2008, 04:45 PM
But on the other side of the coin, I assume that Splitter can't be officially signed by the Spurs until July 9th. Even if he picks the Spurs at some point, Tau will have another month to talk to him and try to convince him. If he picks Tau, he can sign right away.

I still think he's leaning toward Tau and that the hesitation is because the Spurs told him it's now or never ... but we'll see.

Spurs can sign Splitter on July 1st. Teams are allowed o sign first round picks during the July moratorium.
I agree with you that Tau is still the front runner. With all the changes in this story and if Splitter says he will sign in NBA, I won't celebrate until he inks his contract.

Mr. Body
06-05-2008, 04:54 PM
You gave Tiago a squeeze?

It's a quote from When Harry Met Sally. I'm glad no one picked up on this.

Avitus1
06-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Pop needs to get off his ass and go to talk to this kid. Maybe he can talk some sense into the guy and get him to join the Spurs. We could use him and Pop knows it. He'd be great on the team next year and I'm sure he'd earn his spot. Good news thought, gives us hope.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Hopefully the Spurs told him that it's now or never, and that they won't pull a Scola and trade his ass. Come to the Spurs or they'll just fuck him over on holding onto his rights until he's too old to make a dime in the NBA.

Dude needs to figure out if he wants to run with the big boys or stay at the little kids table.

Ginobilly
06-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Somebody needs to post a pic with Master Splintter from the Ninja Turtles with Tiago's head on it...lol

smrattler
06-05-2008, 06:13 PM
It's a quote from When Harry Met Sally. I'm glad no one picked up on this.

Dude, you're a chick. :depressed

Joe Schmoogins
06-05-2008, 06:23 PM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/skwix99/splitter.jpg

SequSpur
06-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Rasho > Splitter

Twisted_Dawg
06-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Hopefully the Spurs told him that it's now or never, and that they won't pull a Scola and trade his ass. Come to the Spurs or they'll just fuck him over on holding onto his rights until he's too old to make a dime in the NBA.

Dude needs to figure out if he wants to run with the big boys or stay at the little kids table.

Its laughable to think the Spurs are in any position to tell a player "its now or never." Its not like we are loaded with talent and don't need another big talented player. Its quite the contrary.

angelbelow
06-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Its laughable to think the Spurs are in any position to tell a player "its now or never." Its not like we are loaded with talent and don't need another big talented player. Its quite the contrary.

spurs think long term though, if splitter isnt going to come over we need to invest in another big ASAP. with that said, splitter may lose his shot because somewhere down the road (as soon as 2010) we could be loaded on the front again.

splitter needs to understand that we drafted him because we are confident that he IS that big talent that we desire and that if hes going to break his promise the spurs arent going to revolve their world around him and wait until he wants to come.

T Park
06-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Rasho > Splitter

So it would be ok to trade him for nothing right?

JsnSA
06-05-2008, 07:39 PM
I didn't read this entire thread...so if it was revealed that Splitter did actually sign with Tau somewhere between page one and seven, then just ignore this comment.

What I find funny is the fact that we did not make it to the finals may actually help us to sign Splitter. As much as I hate it, the Lakers vs Celtics match up is going to get a LOT more media attention then a Spurs vs Anyone matchup.

Hopefully all of that increased media attention will help him see the benefits of going to the NBA and make him want to win the biggest championship in the world of basketball.

After all he has already won a championship with Tau...but winning in the NBA has a global prestige which his current league can never match.

Twisted_Dawg
06-05-2008, 07:40 PM
spurs think long term though, if splitter isnt going to come over we need to invest in another big ASAP. with that said, splitter may lose his shot because somewhere down the road (as soon as 2010) we could be loaded on the front again.

splitter needs to understand that we drafted him because we are confident that he IS that big talent that we desire and that if hes going to break his promise the spurs arent going to revolve their world around him and wait until he wants to come.

The Spurs think "long term"?? Where have you been the last 5 years of front office bungles that have lead us to where we are today?

Marcus Bryant
06-05-2008, 07:43 PM
The Spurs think "long term"?? Where have you been the last 5 years of front office bungles that have lead us to where we are today?

Spurs fans are some spoiled motherfuckers.

Stump
06-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Huh? You mean the three championships we've earned in that time?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Spurs fans are some spoiled motherfuckers.

jag
06-05-2008, 08:55 PM

:corn:

SpurOutofTownFan
06-05-2008, 08:58 PM
As I said, if the Spurs promise him millions of dollars after his first contract in writting he will come over in a beat.

Big P
06-05-2008, 09:11 PM
As I said, if the Spurs promise him millions of dollars after his first contract in writting he will come over in a beat.

That's slightly illegal...good try though..if it were only that easy.

angelbelow
06-05-2008, 09:18 PM

long term means thinking long term and not just planning for the now. because of our long term planning, we are able to retool this summer and the summer of 2010.

exstatic
06-05-2008, 09:24 PM

Unfortunately, being a first round pick strikes again. He's entitled to that guaranteed contract any time he wants to come over. The only way to get out of it is to renounce his rights or trade him to NBA Siberia. Memphis would be a good option for that.

ElNono
06-05-2008, 09:57 PM
long term means thinking long term and not just planning for the now. because of our long term planning, we are able to retool this summer and the summer of 2010.

That is if we can actually convince our first round picks to sign with us...

clubalien
06-05-2008, 10:26 PM
it is not illegl if you never get caught coughbrent berry cough

GSH
06-05-2008, 10:42 PM
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/baloncesto/acb/playoffs08/es/desarrollo/1131357.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=6&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dtiago%2Bsplitter%26start%3D10%26hl%3D en%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN%26as_qdr%3Dd

This link has a comment about his sister. She's a basketball player too, and it's leukemia she is battling.

stxspurs
06-05-2008, 11:04 PM
dont know if it was posted...doesnt look good for spurs

http://www.talkbasket.net/content/view/186/30/
TAU Baskonia, new champion of Spanish league
2008-06-03 23:33
TAU Baskonia finally got his prize after a long season in which they played three finals in all the competitions they played. Mickeal was the MVP of the finals, and Neven Spahija got his first title in his first season coaching in Spain.

After three games of absolute dominance over their rival, AXA FC Barcelona, TAU Baskonia got their second title of ACB. This year, the basque team had played very regularly, playing the final of King's Cup, Final Four in Madrid and now ACB's finals, and they finally got their prize.

An easy way of playing, with Splitter and Mickeal as killers inside and outside the zone, and great defense, making Lakovic, Acker and Ilyasova look like poor versions of themselves, helped the vitorians to reach the final glory. Good game for Rakocevic and Teletovic too, with a great pace of the game by Pablo Prigioni.

The final result was 76-61, with a great second part played by the team of Neven Spahija, who in his first year in Spain, captured the main title. He gave no option to their rival coach, Xavi Pascual, in all three matches. Despite this loss, is expected that the young coach from Barcelona will stay next season too.

Now the season is over, there is a great taste in the mouth of all fans from Vitoria, since their team not only won the title, but also will have their main star, Tiago Splitter, playing next season for them too.

Marcus Bryant
06-05-2008, 11:05 PM
2008-06-03

stxspurs
06-05-2008, 11:06 PM
so it was not the third but the sixth of march?

SPURSGOAT
06-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Now the season is over, there is a great taste in the mouth of all fans from Vitoria, since their team not only won the title, but also will have their main star, Tiago Splitter, playing next season for them too.

:bang:depressed:pctoss

ss1986v2
06-05-2008, 11:11 PM
so it was not the third but the sixth of march?
no, but we have an article from the 6th of june saying hes made no decision yet.

SPURSGOAT
06-05-2008, 11:12 PM
no, but we have an article from the 6th of june saying hes made no decision yet.

Oh! WHEW!! :hat

Spurtacus
06-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Tiagoooooooooooooooooooo! Come to SA please. You have a championship with Tau. Now come win a championship with the Spurs!

I'm sure each of us would be willing to pitch to the 'Tiago a Spurs' fund. :toast

gospursgojas
06-05-2008, 11:25 PM
He better be worth it.

I remember how wet everyone was about Scola, and he turned out to be an avg at best

Russ
06-05-2008, 11:27 PM
He better be worth it.

I remember how wet everyone was about Scola, and he turned out to be an avg at best

I think Splitter is quicker and can play more D than Scola.

Spurtacus
06-05-2008, 11:28 PM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/skwix99/splitter.jpg

lol! That's great. :lmao