SequSpur
01-28-2005, 11:43 PM
Anybody into this fight?

Duff McCartney
01-28-2005, 11:43 PM
No Leija sucks.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-28-2005, 11:44 PM
Yep. Probably the only reason I'm not going back to SM until Sunday morning.

Watching the fight in HDTV.

SequSpur
01-28-2005, 11:46 PM
That Van Damme signature is disturbing.

MannyIsGod
01-28-2005, 11:46 PM
Yeah, I kept forgetting to post something about this, but I'm excited about it. I think Jesse is going to get pounded, but I'm still rooting for him. It would be amazing if he won.

SequSpur
01-28-2005, 11:47 PM
I hope Jesse wins..... That would be awesome. He can beat Gatti, if they go the distance.

exstatic
01-29-2005, 12:55 AM
Boxing is a fraud. They have like 6 separate belts for each weight class, and all they do is duck each other until the corrupt 3-4 people that run the whole "sport" decide that the money is right. It's like wrestling, minus the storylines, smack, and color.

exstatic
01-29-2005, 12:56 AM
Duff - Straight guys don't dance like that. You're "outing" yourself.

johnny00
01-29-2005, 08:20 AM
Personally I'm rooting for Leija to win. Mark my words though he will only win through a K.O. any other way he gets screwed. If it goes the distance the judges will score in favor of Gatti no matter how well Jesse fights. Reality wise I feel this fight will end with a knockout of James in the fith or sixth.

Mr Dio
01-29-2005, 11:55 AM
VBookie got any action on this?

AlamoSpursFan
01-29-2005, 01:02 PM
Sure would love to see James win this, but I'm afraid he's gonna take a beating.

The way to hang with Gatti is to brawl with him and James isn't really a brawler. He'll have to guard against that Mexican Liver Shot punch that Gatti uses to full effect and he might not be able to attack effectively. Gatti cuts easily, but so does James.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch this one (unless they're showing it in the break room at the HEB warehouse...I'll be there delivering a backhaul).

GO JAMES!!!!

AlamoSpursFan
01-29-2005, 01:29 PM
http://www.hbo.com/boxing/columns/borges/20050124.shtml

James Leija: Once More For Old Time's Sake
January 24, 2005

James Leija has been here before.

At 38, the former junior lightweight champion understands no one gives him much of a chance to win the super lightweight title from Arturo Gatti this weekend in Atlantic City. He even understands their thinking and why they have come to such a conclusion.

Leija hasn't fought in 14 months and hasn't won a big fight since the night he decisioned Azumah Nelson 6 1/2 years ago, beating the kind of fading champion he now appears to be. In his last fight of this caliber he was stopped in six rounds by Kostya Tszyu in Australia in a fight for what was then the undisputed super lightweight title. That evening even his long-time manager and friend, Lester Bedford, thought that would be the final period on a long and proud career.

"To be honest with you, after the Tszyu fight I thought that was a pretty good exit for him,'' Bedford said. "I saw James sitting on a bench after the fight (in his locker room) and he said, 'You know, I could have won the fight.' He fought a hell of a fight for six rounds and I thought that would be a good exit point for him.

"He was never in a fight where you thought he can't fight any more but I didn't think he'd continue on. I didn't think he'd go through the grind of fighting two or three non-title fights to get his feet back underneath him.''

Surprisingly, Leija accepted those kind of fights however, easily defeating two little known entities back in Texas to put himself into position for what surely seems likely to be his last hurrah, a final shot at a world title like the one he last held a decade ago. Why he paid that price is anyone's guess but the sad fact of the matter is on some level that's what fighters do.

They fight until no one will pay them to fight any more. They fight until there's no hope and after two victories and six rounds in which he often looked competitive with Tszyu, the most feared fighter in the 140-pound division, Leija believes he still has reason to hope he can spoil Gatti's plans to fight Floyd Mayweather, Jr. on pay-per-view later this year.

"I control what's in front of me and that's me fighting Gatti and that's that,'' said Leija (45-6-2, 1 NC, 18 KO). "Hopefully I'll just put a damper on all of their plans. I'm a determined person. I never believed anyone when they told me I can't do anything. I go up there and prove them wrong. I think I get better with age.''

Every fighter does. Every fighter thinks he can still do what he once did. Every fighter believes he can still move and slip punches and if you're a light hitting boxer like Leija that you can still baffle and bamboozle your opponent into the kind of mistakes that lead to his demise.

Leija feels that in particular about Gatti, a stone warrior who has often paid the price for that approach. Although only 30, Gatti has been in more wars than the Marine Corps and he has won the majority of them, including two with Micky Ward that became part of a legendary trilogy fight fans are still talking about. He knows old guys like Leija must be respected but he also believes he can overwhelm him with superior firepower, younger legs and an unbending will. Most of the boxing world agrees with Gatti.

But most of the boxing world does not include an old warrior from San Antonio who may lack armaments but is far from short on faith in himself or in the ravages of the kind of fights Gatti has engaged in.

"I don't know how much it takes out of you but it's not good for your health,'' Leija said of Gatti's many fistic gunfights. "I feel it slows you down. You're not as sharp as you once were. You take punishment. You give punishment. Once you get hit a lot you get used to it and that's never good. That's why I've always worked on defense. I don't get hit.

"There are some guys who will take two or three punches just to get one in. Gatti is a warrior and you can never take that away from him. Sometimes I'm in awe when I see him fight but those type of fights will come back to haunt you later in your career or when it's over.

"When I saw him and Micky Ward (fight) I said they were crazy. They have huge hearts to take that type of punishment. You watch and you're awed by it. But Micky is still having (eye) trouble from those wars. And Gatti? It will probably affect him for the rest of his life. They both left it all in the ring.''

The same can be said of Leija, although he has always fought a more defensive style. He has been stopped by Oscar De La Hoya, Shane Mosley, Nelson and Tszyu, arguably the four best fighters on his resume. In fairness, he also beat Nelson twice and he was moving up in weight in those other fights from his original 130 pounds so he was at a physical disadvantage.

Those defeats and his age have convinced most of the boxing world that he has no chance against Gatti, who is younger, stronger and naturally bigger. He is still seen as a fighter with a future while Leija is seen as a fighter with a past. Yet Leija looks at him and those other fighters and comes to a different conclusion.

"The fights that I lost were to Hall of Fame guys, guys that were just great fighters,'' Leija said, refusing to put Gatti in that category. "I've never lost to an average fighter. I never lost a non-title fight.''

When it was mentioned that he did lose such a fight to Juan Lezcano, Leija's fighting nature surfaced immediately, the part of him that has him training arduously for seven weeks at an age when most guys struggle just to get to the gym twice a week to ride an exercise bike.

"I didn't lose that fight,'' he snapped. "I just lost the decision.'' That is the mentality of a fighter. It takes a lot to convince the ones with the stiffest will, the ones like Leija, that they have been defeated. The opinion of three men with pencils and ties seldom is enough to do that.

Arturo Gatti understands this because he's been through it himself. He understands it's what makes Leija dangerous even as he nears his final days in boxing. Leija understands it as well. They both understand what the other will be about on Jan. 29 at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City. They will come there to fight, Gatti believing this is a stepping stone for a big-money showdown with Mayweather on HBO pay-per-view before the summer is out. James Leija will be there too with less on his mind. Nothing on his mind but one thing.

Nothing on his mind but teaching Arturo Gatti and a doubting boxing world that sometimes the old fighter is still more fighter than old.

"Every time I step into the ring, everything that I do, there's a purpose behind it,'' Leija said. "I'm waiting for the next punch. Everything is calculated. Fans are going to love this fight. The entertainment is going to be there but winning comes first.''

Winning comes first even if this is the last of it. Even if this is the last fight, the last night. Even if the world is right this time about him, James Leija will go to Atlantic City with one purpose. Same purpose he's always had when an arena comes into view and he steps out of this world and enters the one only boxers fully understand.

"Winning comes first,'' James Leija said. Win or lose, he meant it.

T Park
01-29-2005, 02:04 PM
JJL is an awesome guy.

Our high school golf team used to practice out at Mission Del Lago, and he would come hit at the driving range, and would come over and talk to us alot.

When wed go on a 36 hole practice round hed come with us once in a while.

Awesome guy, and a GREAT Spurs Fan!!!

Hope he does well tonight.

Ive got a couple hundred bucks on him!!

AlamoSpursFan
01-29-2005, 02:11 PM
Me and a friend were standing out in the hall (so he could smoke) at one of the last Spurs games at the Hemisfair Arena and James walked by. I nudged my friend and said "Hey, there's Jesse James Leija!" James heard me and turned around and came over, shook my hand and gave me an autograph. He's one of the coolest people in San Antonio history.

timvp
01-29-2005, 04:24 PM
I played one-on-one basketball a couple times when he was training like four or five years ago. Even though he's 5'2, I didn't try to block him because I didn't want to disrespect him and receive a face shattering right hook.

By yeah, he's one of the nicest people out there.

:)

Jekka
01-29-2005, 05:22 PM
WTF? There is no way it's been 14 months since Jesse James whipped that one kids ass.

Experiment2100
01-30-2005, 12:21 AM
JJL got KOed in the fifth http://members.aol.com/browrob549/emo/common068.gif

SequSpur
01-30-2005, 02:21 AM
I don't wish to waste my time seeing Jesse fight anymore.

It wasn't even close.

Gatti could've won that fight if he would have yelled at Jesse.

Solid D
01-30-2005, 07:17 AM
Reality wise I feel this fight will end with a knockout of James in the fith or sixth.

Sad result....accurate call, Johnny.

AlamoSpursFan
01-30-2005, 11:07 AM
I don't wish to waste my time seeing Jesse fight anymore.

Looks like you don't have to...

Leija retires: Fighter, 38, says he's done
Web Posted: 01/30/2005 12:00 AM CST

Richard Oliver
Express-News Staff Writer

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. — In an empty shower stall in a far back corner of Boardwalk Hall late Saturday night, "Jesse" James Leija finally said the words that he knew would come eventually.

It's over.

Moments earlier, the realization was pounded home in a hailstorm of punches thrown by World Boxing Council super lightweight champion Arturo Gatti. In a hellish fifth round, Leija was rocked to the mat by an overhand right, then swarmed under by a flurry of telling blows before falling for good at the 1:48 mark.

The knockout loss, before a pro-Gatti crowd of nearly 12,000 and an HBO audience, brought a sudden end to what had been a competitive showdown through four crisp rounds.

Afterward, a still-woozy Leija dragged his boxing trunks down aching legs, wincing from a re-aggravation of a chronic rib problem, a hyper-extended right elbow, nasty abrasions on his shoulder and right cheek and the realization that a sparkling 16-year pro career had ended in a crushing closing chapter.

"It's time to hang it up," said a subdued Leija, 47-7-2. "The wear and tear on my body is too much. My body is telling me that it's time to go."

Entering the much-anticipated fight, which the San Antonio fighter had pursued for years, Leija revealed that body already had been talking to him with persistent urgency. The troublesome left rib had been aching, and a workout injury to his elbow had sent him home early from Houston, keeping him from three planned weeks of sparring.

In the second round, Gatti dug home a right fist to Leija's midsection, and the challenger felt the cartilage separate again. A minute into the fifth round, with Leija's left arm sneaking down to protect the injury, Gatti took advantage by snaking home a devastating right that crumpled the Texan in a neutral corner.

"I expected the right hand to make a difference," said Gatti, 39-6 after his 30th knockout victory. "I always thought I was too strong for him. I stayed on the outside because of his experience, but once I started landing right hands on him, I knew that was the difference."

Gatti earned $2.4 million for the victory, with Leija taking home a career-high $600,000 payday. The title-holder, making his second defense since capturing the crown a year ago, moves on to a probable $4 million matchup in June with undefeated Floyd Mayweather Jr., the top contender.

Gatti, 32, was ahead on two judges' cards and even on the other when the bout was decided. The Express-News had the scoring even through four rounds.

"The warrior is always inside of me," said Gatti, "if I need it to come out."

That also has been Leija's strength during a remarkable career that saw him capture a World Boxing Council super featherweight championship and the admiration of a fight community that marveled at his longevity at a lighter weight class that historically doesn't favor older boxers.

Leija, who turns 39 later this year, already had called a news conference for next week to announce further plans for his future outside of boxing.

Now, that announcement will include his official retirement after more than two decades as an amateur and professional fighter. Leija has hinted at a career in politics, and is a lock to be a unanimous selection to the city's Sports Hall of Fame in coming years.

"I'm behind him 100 percent, but this was his dream fight and he had the opportunity to capture the title," said his manager, Oscar De La Hoya. "At least he got his shot."

For the first four rounds, Leija took advantage. After entering the ring to a chorus of boos, he quickly silenced the chants with a solid opening round that established his punches as crisp and showed the constant energy that has defined his career.

With the projected inside brawl instead developing into a long-distance jabbing contest, the men danced and pawed for the opening two rounds, with Leija landing the most telling blow with a chopping left in the second. By the third, however, Gatti began to press his advantage and the punches began to fly.

In the fifth, Gatti took the advantage in a flash, and Leija never recovered.

"I wish I could have had this chance years ago when I was healthier," Leija said. "But the better man won tonight."

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-30-2005, 12:51 PM
Hey, the guy gave it his shot. He's represented San Antonio very well throughout his career and I wish him the best in whatever endeavors he takes on next.

Thanks, James!

MannyIsGod
01-30-2005, 01:39 PM
I'm glad he got out with enough brain cells to function still. He's one celebrity that you honestly do feel is an awesome person and you have no dobuts that you'll never seen him on the news for rape charges.

Add that to a pretty long and kick ass career, and it's awesome.

gophergeorge
02-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Hey, the guy gave it his shot. He's represented San Antonio very well throughout his career and I wish him the best in whatever endeavors he takes on next.

Thanks, James!

Hey! What about me?

Regards,

Tony Ayala

Taco
02-01-2005, 01:05 PM
I'm glad he got out with enough brain cells to function still.

Did you ever hear that Old Jim Rome cut when he was interviewing Tommy Hearns

He asked Tommy a Question Tommy’s response was “And How!!!” then he tried to explain to Rome where the term “And How!!” came from he said remember that ole ole television show “Da Lil Rassels” they would say And How!!!

Tommy sounded punch drunk and he has been retired for years

Poor poor Tommy

Taco
02-01-2005, 01:07 PM

Thanks, James!

What he said!!