PDA

View Full Version : Best Final Fantasy

stretch
06-05-2008, 03:08 PM
The best were the ones for the SNES.

IV, V, and VI.

They all kicked ass in different ways, especially the ones for the GBA. I bought a nintendo DS JUST to play those three games, and get the added dungeons, because the original games were too easy for me. But those new dungeons are hard as fuck, especially for FFV.

stretch
06-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Plus they each had different systems/styles.

IV - Everyone had one set job, and mages would learn spells over time. Best story and best way to get introduced to Final Fantasy games.

V - You could train anyone in like 30 different job classes, and had to buy spells. Hardest and most versatile.

VI - Everyone had a set job, but anyone (except Umaro who sucked) could learn all spells by equipping an esper. Characters had most personality and best side-stories/quests.

E20
06-05-2008, 03:26 PM
VII, VI, and IX are pretty good.

VIII isn't bad.

X I did not like.

I've not played V or IV but will try to. Will not play I or II.

stretch
06-05-2008, 03:45 PM
I've not played V or IV but will try to. Will not play I or II.

I have I and II for the GBA. I got part of the way through the first one, but its kinda boring. No character personality. Just the simple action, story, and thats it. I never got around to the second, but the system they have for leveling up in it, is very strange. Maybe one day I'll get around to them. I heard the second actually has the best story out of all FF games though, and a lot of people recommend it for the story alone.

Mister Sinister
06-05-2008, 04:04 PM
VI, IX, IV are my top three.

sabar
06-05-2008, 04:45 PM
IV, V, VI by far. I, II, and III are boring. VII and on are good but not as good as snes ones.

rAm
06-05-2008, 06:55 PM
VII is one of the best games I have ever played... and I play a lot of fucking videogames

Mister Sinister
06-05-2008, 06:57 PM
VII is one of the best games I have ever played... and I play a lot of fucking videogames
Overrated.

Leetonidas
06-05-2008, 07:00 PM
VI, IX, IV are my top three.

:wow

I'm surprised.

Final Fantasy IX is no doubt my favorite. But as for as the older generation, VI (or III on the SNES) beats them. That game is just fucking badass. Hell, it kicks the shit out of FFX and up. I think it's probably better than VIII even.

But yeah, IX and VII no doubt.

Dex
06-05-2008, 07:03 PM
VII

/thread

Leetonidas
06-05-2008, 07:09 PM
VII

/thread

Nah, I'm siding with Shagia on this. I love Final Fantasy VII no doubt, and it's one of my favorites, but I don't think it's the best. It's extremely overrated...I mean, it's a good game, but shit, it's often heralded as the best FF ever. The graphics were terrible, the majority of the characters sucked ass, and I never really liked Sephiroth as a villain. That, and it was rather confusing unless you played it a few times what with all the clones of Sephiroth, that shit with Jenova and Hojo, and the fact that Cloud made up his entire past based on Zak's memory. I mean WTF? That pissed me off.

Tifa did have some jumbo knockers though. :lmao

I did enjoy a team of Cloud, Nanaki, and Tifa. Probably my favorite FF lineup of all-time.

SRJ
06-05-2008, 07:18 PM
1) FFVII
2) FIV
3) FFIX

FFVIII could have been the greatest game ever, going away. But the main characters sucked and the story was shit. Everything else (the visuals, the music, the side quests, (most of) the gameplay) was top fucking shelf.

Mister Sinister
06-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Nah, I'm siding with Shagia on this. I love Final Fantasy VII no doubt, and it's one of my favorites, but I don't think it's the best. It's extremely overrated...I mean, it's a good game, but shit, it's often heralded as the best FF ever. The graphics were terrible, the majority of the characters sucked ass, and I never really liked Sephiroth as a villain. That, and it was rather confusing unless you played it a few times what with all the clones of Sephiroth, that shit with Jenova and Hojo, and the fact that Cloud made up his entire past based on Zak's memory. I mean WTF? That pissed me off.

I did enjoy a team of Cloud, Nanaki, and Tifa. Probably my favorite FF lineup of all-time.
A lot of people, it seems like to me, mistake its impact for its quality. I mean, I like FF7, but I honestly consider it something of the start of a downhill slide for the franchise. With the exception of IX and Tactics, there hasn't been a game in the series since 7 that I *loved.* 8 was meh at best, X and X-2 were good, but they didn't draw me in as IX and Tactics did and still do.

E20
06-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Whether people want to see it, FF7 was a huge hit on the PSX and is the best selling game on the PSX, it has been reviewed by countless of magazines, websites etc... as being the best RPG for the PSX and of the Final Fantasies. Currently some don't like the fact that FF7 is getting nutted over constantly so they choose to sort of dislike for that reason. To put it: FF8 was a good game, but a lot did not like it because FF7 was so great compared to it, so it looked like a bad game. The pont: FF7 was badass, I'll take chocolate, you can take vanilla.

E20
06-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Also you know what I hate? These gamers that think they are hella badass playing handicapped. Like for example, search Youtube or GameFaqs and they have these trial runs for nearly all RPGS. Example for FF7:

A no materia, a base weapon, single character, no power up run. WTF is the point of that? It's not fun and it is fu cking stupid.

Next thing you know they're gonna be like:
No Materia
No new weapons
no leveling up
single character
no items
no saving
and you have to play with your feet

Some of this stuff is ridiculous.

Mister Sinister
06-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Whether people want to see it, FF7 was a huge hit on the PSX and is the best selling game on the PSX, it has been reviewed by countless of magazines, websites etc... as being the best RPG for the PSX and of the Final Fantasies. Currently some don't like the fact that FF7 is getting nutted over constantly so they choose to sort of dislike for that reason. To put it: FF8 was a good game, but a lot did not like it because FF7 was so great compared to it, so it looked like a bad game.
My beef with 8 was that I couldn't stand a majority of the characters, not that it wasn't FF7. But that's just me, and the people who dislike 7 just because it's so popular piss me the hell off. It's not my favorite, hell, it's not even in my top 3 FF or Top 5 RPG lists, but I will never deny the impact it had on the franchise, the genre, and the industry as a whole.

Mister Sinister
06-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Also you know what I hate? These gamers that think they are hella badass playing handicapped. Like for example, search Youtube or GameFaqs and they have these trial runs for nearly all RPGS. Example for FF7:

A no materia, a base weapon, single character, no power up run. WTF is the point of that? It's not fun and it is fu cking stupid.

Next thing you know they're gonna be like:
No Materia
No new weapons
no leveling up
single character
no items
no saving
and you have to play with your feet

Some of this stuff is ridiculous.
I've done a few of those in my time, but never any of the extreme ones. I just do it for shits and giggles, to see if I can.

E20
06-05-2008, 07:49 PM
My beef with 8 was that I couldn't stand a majority of the characters, not that it wasn't FF7. But that's just me, and the people who dislike 7 just because it's so popular piss me the hell off. It's not my favorite, hell, it's not even in my top 3 FF or Top 5 RPG lists, but I will never deny the impact it had on the franchise, the genre, and the industry as a whole.

Why can't more people be liking fucking shagia when it comes to serious shit like this. :pctoss

Most people are like fuck off fanboy go stick the buster sword up your vagina.

E20
06-05-2008, 07:49 PM
I've done a few of those in my time, but never any of the extreme ones. I just do it for shits and giggles, to see if I can.

It's one thing to do it and I've tried something crazy like this for Castlevania SOTN, but when you brag about it, it's another.

Mister Sinister
06-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Why can't more people be liking fucking shagia when it comes to serious shit like this. :pctoss

Most people are like fuck off fanboy go stick the buster sword up your vagina.
I've gotten permabanned from a few boards for A) Claiming that FF7 was not, in fact, the greatest thing since cheese and B) Making the "Kefka>Sephiroth" argument. It's sad, and a little funny to see how butthurt people can get. And for the record, when I say Kefka>Sephiroth, I'm talking solely in terms of who's a better villain, not who'd win in a fight.

Mister Sinister
06-05-2008, 07:52 PM
It's one thing to do it and I've tried something crazy like this for Castlevania SOTN, but when you brag about it, it's another.
Yeah. I don't brag, per se, I'll say, "Oh, yeah, I've beaten FF1 with four white mages," or "Yup, I've done <Challenge>" but that's it.

Benvolio_Montague
06-05-2008, 11:34 PM
You gotta admit the Materia system in 7 kicked ass though.

Luke Skywalker
06-06-2008, 02:57 AM
If it took you less than 99 hours to 100% FF7 (and that's not just beating Sephiroth on the 3rd disc, it's completing the whole fuckin' game), you are not gamer enough.

stretch
06-06-2008, 09:41 AM
luke skywalker is a fag

Leetonidas
06-06-2008, 10:49 AM
I've gotten permabanned from a few boards for A) Claiming that FF7 was not, in fact, the greatest thing since cheese and B) Making the "Kefka>Sephiroth" argument. It's sad, and a little funny to see how butthurt people can get. And for the record, when I say Kefka>Sephiroth, I'm talking solely in terms of who's a better villain, not who'd win in a fight.

Kuja > all of them.

Mother fucker destroyed his home planet, his creator, and tried to kill his "brother."

Except for the fact that he looked like a faggot, he was one maniacal bastard.

stretch
06-06-2008, 10:53 AM
ExDeath would kick all their asses. If a tree can turn itself into a human with superpowers and cause complete chaos and for a world to be split into two, then it is a crazy mofo

stretch
06-06-2008, 10:58 AM
the hardest boss in any game though is Omega in FFV (not including the extra GBA version bosses).

This may be the only boss in which you could have EVERY spell/skill learned (i literally mean EVERY SINGLE ONE, like including all blue magic, dances, songs, whatever), every job mastered, all the best items in the game, have the perfect setup with jobs, equipment, and skills, be at level 99 and still lose more than 50% of the time to this guy. and if you get "suprised", you are simply fucked.

monosylab1k
06-06-2008, 11:03 AM
You spoony bard!

Mister Sinister
06-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Kuja > all of them.

Mother fucker destroyed his home planet, his creator, and tried to kill his "brother."

Except for the fact that he looked like a faggot, he was one maniacal bastard.
Ehh....I dunno, I put Kuja slightly below Kefka, but he's been in the number two spot since I first played FFIX. Although I didn't mind the fact that....let's face it, looked like the guy was wearing a thong (Insert slew of gay jokes), because, like with Kefka's rather crossdressing clown-ish appearance, it served to enhance the crazy.

anakha
06-06-2008, 12:04 PM
You spoony bard!

Good lord, I still remember that. :lol

As for the topic itself, my vote's a tossup between II (IV in Japan) and VII, because the storylines really drew me in.

The whole storyline swerve regarding the ultimate villain in II was a bit of a copout, though.

deadratsam
06-06-2008, 02:09 PM
The only ones I've completed are IV, VI and X.
The first one I played was VI. They were all fun and interesting and the world were awesome to feel immersed in. But if there were a movie to be made, I'd prefer to watch VI.

Now for the others.
I,II,III- the ones that came to the U.S. I played for a few minutes. I didn't play the one that wasn't released here
V- I've only played 2% of this game and I don't know when I'll ever get back to playing it.
VII- I've played about 5%. I'm sure I'll get around to playing it, if only because of it's reputation.
VIII- I've played about 70-80% and really want to finish it. It's the kind of story I like and I would definitely read a novelization. Plus the card game was fun and I actually understood it.
IX- I may be 50% through this and other than the card game which completely baffles and frustrates me, this will probably be in my top 3. My favorite music of all the games comes from this one.
XII-online game that I'll never play
X-2- It's not very engaging. I've played about 30%. It's a beautiful game, but I don't care to finish it.
XII- I'm 98% finished with the story, but maybe 80% with the extras. It's very fun and a nice story, but if it had IX, VIII or VI story then it would definitely be my favorite.

So
1st- VI and IX
2nd- XII
3rd- VII and IV

Typhoon
06-07-2008, 10:24 AM
VI and X for me.

Xolotl
06-07-2008, 11:39 AM
VI is the best of the sequels but I gotta say FF1 because thats what started it all for me.

VII to me is overrated and I f'n hate the materia system, I also liked X I wasted so much time in the damn blitzball game I'm actually ashamed to admit it

rAm
06-08-2008, 11:47 AM

The graphics were shitty? They were pretty amazing for the time period, and if you consider it was the first Final Fantasy to switch over from 2d to 3d how would you even say the graphics were bad compared to the previous ones?

stretch
06-23-2008, 03:05 PM
okay, FF VI Advance lost a few points with me. the only issues i ever had with FF VI (too easy, not enough story, annoying/boring dungeons), still was not fixed with these advance dungeons. all you have to do is have the Genji Glove, and Offering (Master Scroll in the Advance version), steal an Atma Weapon (Ultima Weapon in Advance) from a portion of the last boss, and then have someone with tons of HP equip them, and you can slaughter the shit out of pretty much every boss. the hardest part of this dungeon (and its not really hard, just annoying) is having to switch around between parties and fight tons of enemies that arent hard at all, just annoying again because they just fuck with your status or do "instant death" attacks, and step on the stupid switches so the other parties can get around. after about 10 minutes of this shit, you just wanna get to the fuckin Kaiser Dragon and finish the damn dungeon off, but there is so much walking around and fighing shitty annoying enemies that give you almost no EXP in return that it turns into a 2-3 hour project. The Kaiser Dragon isn't all that tough either. Just do the Atma Weapon trick, and cast "Quick, Ultima, Ultima" a few times, make sure everyone has Re-Raise cast on them, and the fight is over.

FF IV and V for the advance are definitely more challenging (especially in V), have more story involved (especially in IV where the dungeons pretty much deals with a personal issue in each characters life), and arent as annoying/boring. The advance dungeons for IV is definitley the best of them all (fun, challenging, and captivating stories, especially Kain's). V's dungeons arent really that fun, but they are hard as fuck so at least you are busy figuring shit out. VI's dungeon is annoying, easy, and has no story involved with it. In fact, when you beat the game, you dont even know that the dungeon is available, and to get to the dungeon, you just land on some island that looks like any ordinary island. no special temple or anything like in the other two. i was very disappointed.

but they are still the best 3 of the entire series. perhaps im just a little more critical because i have played and beaten VI about 100 times already, so im kinda bored with it, and expected a lot more challenge for the dungeons.