PDA

View Full Version : Hit-and-run victim left in street

jcrod
06-05-2008, 04:54 PM
What is this world coming too..

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/06/05/ignored.hitrun.ap/index.html

The story
A 78-year-old man is tossed like a rag doll by a hit-and-run driver and lies motionless on a busy city street as car after car goes by. Pedestrians gawk but appear to do nothing. One driver stops briefly but then pulls back into traffic. A man on a scooter slowly circles the victim before zipping away.

The chilling scene -- captured on video by a streetlight surveillance camera -- has touched off a round of soul-searching in Hartford, with the capital city's biggest newspaper blaring "SO INHUMANE" on the front page and the police chief lamenting: "We no longer have a moral compass."

"We have no regard for each other," said Chief Daryl Roberts, who on Wednesday released the video in hopes of making an arrest in the accident that left Angel Arce Torres in critical condition.

BacktoBasics
06-05-2008, 04:56 PM
I fucking hate people.

RashoFan
06-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Just saw that on the news tonight. Appalling!

baseline bum
06-05-2008, 11:48 PM
Such is life in the city. :(

nsrammstein
06-06-2008, 12:18 AM
what if someone touches him and moves him and then the guy on the ground sues him for causing more damage? You can't do nothing these days without running the risk of getting sued, I would have done the same thing I would have called 911 but thats about it

old man should have just walked it off!

pawe
06-06-2008, 12:59 AM
Be honest. Would you have stopped to help him?

nsrammstein
06-06-2008, 01:11 AM

I would have stopped to call 911 yes

nsrammstein
06-06-2008, 01:16 AM
what shocks me the most is that not even 1 single person called 911

Nbadan
06-06-2008, 01:53 AM
It's not an easy thing to see or get involved in...believe me...I witnessed a hit-and-run driver strike a lady going about 70mph, almost amputated both her legs (not the worst thing I've seen in my short life, but close)....spun her around in the air about 20 feet 'like a rag doll' and landed right next to my vehicle in the outer lane...and I was about 40 yards behind the accident and going much slower to give you some Idea about how long she was in the air...after striking her the guy, who was obviously drunk, lost control and hit a curb then backed up and took off....I chased him down and called the cops....at about 2 am that night I saw him being arrested on the news...

pawe
06-06-2008, 02:20 AM
glad there are still people here with the right attitude towards people in need. I would have stopped for him, you dont have to move him or get him to the hospital, just be there for him and yes call 911..cant believe none of them witnesses has a cellphone in their pockets.

jcrod
06-06-2008, 02:22 AM

Yes, I would've called 911, checked his pulse if he wasn't consicous. If he was I would've stayed and tried to confort him till the paramedics arrived.

Not just walked by and starred

Slydragon
06-06-2008, 02:29 AM
I saw that on 20 20 or some news show like that. People are just plain dumb sometimes, I remember a video I saw a long time ago of a store clerk getting shot and everyone in the store was just looking afterwards some girl even started taking pics with her camera phone. They called the cops but after a while went by.