PDA

View Full Version : Draft Camp Measurements

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-05-2008, 11:56 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/measurements.php?year=2008&sort2=DESC&draft=0&sort=3

mavs>spurs2
06-06-2008, 12:56 AM
I find it hard to believe that I beat 90% of the prospects in both vertical jump and bench reps. Is this supposedly a weak draft class?

KidCongo
06-06-2008, 02:04 AM
I find it hard to believe that I beat 90% of the prospects in both vertical jump and bench reps. Is this supposedly a weak draft class?

woo down

mystargtr34
06-06-2008, 02:08 AM

Dont worry we find it very hard to believe you actually beat ANY of the prospects in either category.

Anyway, having longer arms means its alot harder to bench press... so your probably a T-Rex compared to those guys.

But to be honest alot of the vertical jumps didnt seem to be that high this year. Not much above 35

JamStone
06-06-2008, 10:01 AM
The average "athletic" grown man has a vertical jump of about 26 inches.

Even elite run and jump athletes are lucky to get around 35 inches off max vertical, meaning taking a few steps before jumping.

People have a warped perception of how high a vertical jump should be. For example, some high flyers like Kobe Bryant and Desmond Mason have a vertical of 38 inches. It takes complete freaks of nature to have a vertical over 40 inches. You're talking about the Vince Carters and Michael Jordans and Dominiques and Dr. Js of the world. The average NBA player probably has a vertical around 30 inches. And, there's probably only a handful of them that have over a 40 inch vertical. And, there's probably less than 20% of them that have a 35 inch vertical or greater.

lebomb
06-06-2008, 10:10 AM
When I was in highschool my vertical was 36-38". Im 6'-1" tall. I wont tell you how long ago that was. :p:

j-6
06-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Kevin Durant couldn't even put up 185 once last year, remember?

Mr. Body
06-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Measurements put Sonny Weems on the draft map.

mavs>spurs2
06-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Dont worry we find it very hard to believe you actually beat ANY of the prospects in either category.

Anyway, having longer arms means its alot harder to bench press... so your probably a T-Rex compared to those guys.

But to be honest alot of the vertical jumps didnt seem to be that high this year. Not much above 35

My vert is about 35-36ish :p:

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-06-2008, 09:11 PM
My vert is about 35-36ish :p:

Awesome. Now if you only knew how to shoot, pass, dribble, rebound or defend, you'd be playing in the NBA.

exstatic
06-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Measurements put Sonny Weems on the draft map.

Yeah, but can he play, or will he be the NBA's version of Mike Mamula?

Mr. Body
06-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Yeah, but can he play, or will he be the NBA's version of Mike Mamula?

Not knowing who Mike Mamula is I'll say nyeso.

Bruno
06-10-2008, 05:46 AM
Measurement of the Treviso camp :
http://www.nbadraft.net/2008eurocamp004.asp

Euro men can't jump. :lol

timvp
06-10-2008, 06:06 AM
Measurement of the Treviso camp :
http://www.nbadraft.net/2008eurocamp004.asp

Euro men can't jump. :lolIbaka was supposedly the athletic freak of the camp. Problem is that Kevin Love has a bigger vertical.

I think that Treviso camp is pretty lame. It attracts a lot of 7'+ stiffs that have no chance to ever make the NBA. Playing well at that camp tells me nothing because the competition sucks. The last few years the Spurs didn't even go. I wonder if they went this year or just skipped it again.

AFBlue
06-10-2008, 06:09 AM
After looking at those measurements, I'm not sure whose measurements to trust. It seems like almost everyone at the Orlando camp had 30in+ verticals and had longer wingspans than their listed height....at this Eurocamp both of those tended to be the exception rather than the rule.

Is it possible they were measured incorrectly?

Bruno
06-10-2008, 06:38 AM
After looking at those measurements, I'm not sure whose measurements to trust. It seems like almost everyone at the Orlando camp had 30in+ verticals and had longer wingspans than their listed height....at this Eurocamp both of those tended to be the exception rather than the rule.

Is it possible they were measured incorrectly?

You had to consider that it's a bunch of white guys. Most of them are unathletic and have short arms.
Rudy Mbemba and Serge Ibaka numbers make me think that they have been measured correctly.

Bruno
06-10-2008, 06:47 AM
I think that Treviso camp is pretty lame. It attracts a lot of 7'+ stiffs that have no chance to ever make the NBA. Playing well at that camp tells me nothing because the competition sucks. The last few years the Spurs didn't even go. I wonder if they went this year or just skipped it again.

There are some interesting prospect this year like Batum, Dragic, Asik and Erden.
I hope Spurs haven't skipped it.
I agree that the Treviso camp is quite lame. Europe hasn't just enough talent for the moment to have an interesting NBA camp.

mathbzh
06-10-2008, 07:02 AM
In the Orlando measurments there is one really surprising thing: the body fat.
I believed a 7% body fat was already extremly low (bodybuilders), 10% was low (athletes)... and then I discovered some players in Orlando are supposed to have a 3% body fat. This sounds very unhealthy for young athletes.

exstatic
06-10-2008, 07:51 AM
Not knowing who Mike Mamula is I'll say nyeso.

Mamula was an NFL LB/DE prospect who TORE UP the Indy pre-draft camp. All of his exercises were off the charts, shuttle, 40, jumping. The problem was, as Philly found out after expending a high first rounder on him, he wasn't a good football player, just a workout wonder.

bobbybob0
06-10-2008, 08:17 AM
In other unrelatedness... John Riek, Brian Butch and Jiri Hubalek have some fucking thick shoes!

1.5" of soles?!

ata
06-11-2008, 02:07 AM
Ibaka was supposedly the athletic freak of the camp. Problem is that Kevin Love has a bigger vertical.

Very true. However, I've seen Vesely a couple of times and he is anything but stiff. On the other hand, still to young and not NBA-ready.

mountainballer
06-11-2008, 05:07 AM
can't you see the obvious?
all Euro players jump significantly less high than the college players but run significantly faster!
the reason for the differences obviously isn't a difference of athleticism, it's that they just do the tests differently.

timvp
06-11-2008, 02:18 PM
can't you see the obvious?
all Euro players jump significantly less high than the college players but run significantly faster!
the reason for the differences obviously isn't a difference of athleticism, it's that they just do the tests differently.No, it's because you are comparing 3/4 court speed to 1/2 court speed.

Biggems
06-11-2008, 09:04 PM
I have the anti-vertical....when I jump, I sink.....

Bob Lanier
06-11-2008, 09:44 PM
In the Orlando measurments there is one really surprising thing: the body fat.
I believed a 7% body fat was already extremly low (bodybuilders), 10% was low (athletes)... and then I discovered some players in Orlando are supposed to have a 3% body fat. This sounds very unhealthy for young athletes.
10% is not particularly low for a fit male in his 20s. Basketball players should be in the 6-12% range. 3% is quite dangerous.

jochhejaam
06-11-2008, 09:56 PM
The average "athletic" grown man has a vertical jump of about 26 inches.

Got those numbers by race?