PDA

View Full Version : No "Big"... No problem???

Blackjack
06-06-2008, 02:19 AM
I wrote this in another thread, but with the Splitter news, I thought it would give us another avenue to explore.

Although it would be preferable to find a good big man, maybe it's not such a terrible thing if we can't.

What I mean is, we need another low-post presence but not neccessarily a big man. We need rebounding, shot-blocking, and someone who can draw a double team every once in a while, but that doesn't mean they have to be a 7-footer. We need people who can get easy buckets and draw fouls(to take advantage of the penalty) regardless of size or position.

Good low-post big men are hard to come buy, so maybe finding a Bonzi-ish type player is a little more realistic. It really doesn't matter how tall the player is, as much as how effective they are. We just need someone other than Duncan to give us a post-threat.

A guy I really want to see the Spurs pick up (while not the post-threat we're looking for) is Dominic McGuire. When I watched him play at Fresno St. his feel for the game (BBIQ) reminded me a little of J.Green and B.Diaw, with the way they'd play through him in the post/high-post. With his build though, and the way he rebounded and blocked shots, I couldn't help but see a little S.Marion/G.Wallace in him.

He's got the potential to be a real diamond in the rough. He could give us a real versatile defender who rebounds and blocks shots from the 3/4 position. His shot needs work (Hello, Chip) but this is the type of guy the Spurs should be looking to develop. I think DeMarr was even nice enough to open a spot for him. :toast

We're probably not going to find everything we need in one particular player (at least not in someone we can afford.) So maybe finding a couple players, with a unique skill-set, is the way to go. Maybe we're looking at things a little too convetionally, and forgetting that there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Just a thought. :flag:

bigdog
06-06-2008, 03:24 AM
We don't need a wing or post to develop. We have Ian who we've been developing, so scratch that. We need a wing who can contribute NOW, which we can get in FA. The draft is not a place where you can guarantee that a guy will be able to contribute right away. We can draft a PG, and wing in the 2nd round to develop for the future, but as for the needs we have right NOW, we shouldn't be focusing solely on the draft to find them. There's always trades.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-06-2008, 05:07 AM
We need a productive Small Forward.

cze1860
06-06-2008, 05:15 AM
we need more younger palyer:king

Blackjack
06-06-2008, 01:21 PM
We don't need a wing or post to develop. We have Ian who we've been developing, so scratch that. We need a wing who can contribute NOW, which we can get in FA. The draft is not a place where you can guarantee that a guy will be able to contribute right away. We can draft a PG, and wing in the 2nd round to develop for the future, but as for the needs we have right NOW, we shouldn't be focusing solely on the draft to find them. There's always trades.

I agree we need help now, but nothing I suggested is dependent on the draft.

Dominic McGuire was drafted last year in the 2nd rd. by the Wizards. His shot needs developing, but the rest of his game would allow him to contribute right away. He could help now and also possibly develop into a G. Wallace type player. He's also someone we could realistically aquire.

The whole point that I was trying to get at is. We probably don't need a big man, as much as we need what a good big man brings. If we can get a Bonzi-ish type player (free-agency, trade, draft) that will give us another legit post-threat, along with a guy like McGuire... Maybe that's are best shot at aquiring the shot-blocking, rebounding, and post-prescence, we need.

Duncan, Oberto, Bonner, Mahinmi, and most likely Thomas will probably be back next year. So if that's the case, I think we're going to have to be a little more creative to fill our needs.

xtremesteven33
06-06-2008, 01:35 PM
cant help but say Ron Artest would be the perfect fit

Mr. Body
06-06-2008, 01:55 PM
It may be time to go after Artest.

GSH
06-06-2008, 02:01 PM
This article talked about why, in addition to sheer athleticism, some guys "play taller" than their listed height. http://www.draftexpress.com/article/A-Historical-Look-at-the-NBA-Pre-Draft-Measurements-2912/

Brand however had been insisting he was measured 6’8” without shoes at Duke, and he was confident he would measure at that size again. Brand showed up to the camp and measured 6’8 ¼” without shoes, 6’9 ½” with shoes and with an amazing 7’5 ½” wingspan, and 9’2” standing reach. That showed he not only had more than enough length to play power forward, but enough to play some center too.

Jerry Krause explained that Brand had a short neck and that a long neck is wasted height in basketball. Brand in reality can play like a 6’11” player despite measuring just over 6’8”. The Chicago Bulls then drafted Brand first overall, and he has had easily the best career of any player from that draft class.

Dingle Barry
06-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Mortgage everything for Artest.

angelbelow
06-06-2008, 03:42 PM
how about jason thompson?

SPURSGOAT
06-06-2008, 04:36 PM

No can do.... he is going to re-sign with the Kings... not going anywhere.

Blackjack
06-06-2008, 05:12 PM

I've never been sold on him with the way he dominates the ball, but If he's willing to play for the mid-level... He might be worth the gamble.

What kind of options do you guys see out there (draft, free-agency, trade) that could give us a post-prescence from a swing position.

mrspurs
06-06-2008, 06:05 PM
no problems with artest....whether or not he can be yelled at by pop is another thing....regardless of your talent or help to the team...if you get in pops doghouse....your done.....and all these we need this, we need that tells me we need alot more then what people think...we're just a couple of players away from getting back into the PO's...now if we dont get homecourt advantage, with these older players we got...i dont like chances again.....go spurs go

PDXSpursFan
06-06-2008, 06:08 PM
I wrote this in another thread, but with the Splitter news, I thought it would give us another avenue to explore.

Although it would be preferable to find a good big man, maybe it's not such a terrible thing if we can't.

What I mean is, we need another low-post presence but not neccessarily a big man. We need rebounding, shot-blocking, and someone who can draw a double team every once in a while, but that doesn't mean they have to be a 7-footer. We need people who can get easy buckets and draw fouls(to take advantage of the penalty) regardless of size or position.

Good low-post big men are hard to come buy, so maybe finding a Bonzi-ish type player is a little more realistic. It really doesn't matter how tall the player is, as much as how effective they are. We just need someone other than Duncan to give us a post-threat.

A guy I really want to see the Spurs pick up (while not the post-threat we're looking for) is Dominic McGuire. When I watched him play at Fresno St. his feel for the game (BBIQ) reminded me a little of J.Green and B.Diaw, with the way they'd play through him in the post/high-post. With his build though, and the way he rebounded and blocked shots, I couldn't help but see a little S.Marion/G.Wallace in him.

He's got the potential to be a real diamond in the rough. He could give us a real versatile defender who rebounds and blocks shots from the 3/4 position. His shot needs work (Hello, Chip) but this is the type of guy the Spurs should be looking to develop. I think DeMarr was even nice enough to open a spot for him. :toast

We're probably not going to find everything we need in one particular player (at least not in someone we can afford.) So maybe finding a couple players, with a unique skill-set, is the way to go. Maybe we're looking at things a little too convetionally, and forgetting that there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Just a thought. :flag:

So, how do we defend Gasol, Bynum & Odom without another big man?

Blackjack
06-06-2008, 07:39 PM
So, how do we defend Gasol, Bynum & Odom without another big man?

We're going to have to do the best we can, with what we got.

Like I said, it looks like our bigs will be: Duncan, Oberto, Mahinmi, Bonner, and probably Thomas. Is that ideal to matchup with the Lakers??? Probably not.

So if we're unable to find a big (which, with are limited resources is looking more and more likely) Mahinmi is going to have to come through, or we're going to have to get extremely lucky in the draft/free-agency. Maybe Brand all of a sudden decides money is over-rated and being close to a Taco Cabana is where it's at.:hat

Great bigs don't just magically appear, and if we can't get our hands on one we'll have to find another way. Why not look to dictate the matchups by finding players that can exploit teams at the swing position?

Tim needs help, but when you've got Tim on that front-line? The oppositions advantage should never be so great, that you can't find a way to counter it by exploiting a matchup you do have in your favor.

Finding those type of players isn't easy, but if we can't find a capable big... It might be the best option available to us at this point.

cze1860
06-06-2008, 08:54 PM
if we have a big man,we will have no problem:lol

milkyway21
06-06-2008, 09:09 PM
if we have a big man,we will have no problem
I am a BIG man..and a shot 100% from the FT line. :oops
http://images.sportsline.com/images/basketball/nba/players/50x80/555964.jpg

Blackjack
06-06-2008, 11:26 PM
I am a BIG man..and a shot 100% from the FT line. :oops
http://images.sportsline.com/images/basketball/nba/players/50x80/555964.jpg

So you're telling me that after all this time of needing a big man, and all the resources at the Spurs disposal...

That all they needed to do was start a thread at SpursTalk???

R.C. .... YOU'RE FIRED!!!

milkyway21.... YOU'RE HIRED!!!

Damn, This G.M. shit is easy!!!:lmao

Sigz
06-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Elson!