PDA

View Full Version : Question for all you McCain nuthuggers.

JoeChalupa
06-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Why are you supporting this staunch conservative who is trying to have his cake with Bush and eat it too?

He is your candidate and has been so for months now yet I don't see the enthusiasm from people like yonivore, xray and all you other Obama bashers.

Where is the love for your candidate? Why should we believe that he'll be anything other than another Bush term?

Come on now. Let me have it!!! And spare me the "experience" factor.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/clintsquint/barack33.jpg

clambake
06-06-2008, 09:48 AM
he's white.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Ummm....he's not a black man or a democrat.

Don't try to tell me the upswell in support for Hillary over the past few months had nothing to do with race, just look at all the wisper campaigns about Obama's ethnicity, religion, etc. All of which attempts to paint him as the angry black man that hates (in the words of whatever fucked up GOP operative that created the Michelle Obama video rumor) "whitey".

There is nothing for one to be excited about McCain, but there is an overwhelming fear from southerners and backward blue collar Americans about a black president.

Don Quixote
06-06-2008, 09:52 AM
I don't if any of the righties on this board view McCain as the Last Great Hope. We have realistic expectations for our guy -- that he might be conservative on a few things (abortion, pork) and that he won't screw things up nearly as much as the competition. But there are few real devotees to McCain outside of the ones who are actually working for him, or the (moderate) Republican establishment.

For a good slice of conservative opinion, check out the National Review online or the Weekly Standard. Two good journals that are probably the most representative of conservative thought. Also check out Rush Limbaugh and some of the other talkers. Most of them want McCain to win, but they're not exactly his cheerleaders.

Contrast this to the treatment the Anointed One gets from His supporters.

Don Quixote
06-06-2008, 09:54 AM
There is nothing for one to be excited about McCain, but there is an overwhelming fear from southerners and backward blue collar Americans about a black president.

So, you mean to say that the conservative rejection of Obama has nothing to do with his attitude toward America, his politics, or what he'll do as President, and is solely based upon racist bigoted fears about his race? Can you clarify?

clambake
06-06-2008, 09:57 AM
:lmao rush

cajunspur
06-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Why are you supporting this staunch conservative who is trying to have his cake with Bush and eat it too?

He is your candidate and has been so for months now yet I don't see the enthusiasm from people like yonivore, xray and all you other Obama bashers.

Where is the love for your candidate? Why should we believe that he'll be anything other than another Bush term?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/clintsquint/barack33.jpg

First off Mccain is not a staunch conservative. To say so proves your lack of knowledge. He is a moderate if anything.

To answer your question, I dont think Mccain is a great republican candidate. I do think that he is head and shoulders above Obama. I am voting more for Mccain because I am against Obama's policies, than I am for Mccains. People act like the past 8 years have been hell on earth in America. My past 8 years have been pretty damn good and so have my familys. The economy has only recently taken a so called downturn, but it is even too early to call it a recession. I wish taxes were a little lower, but than will not be the case if Obama takes office. I have worked hard and prospered financially, and so has everyone else in my family as well. My brother in law has gone to Iraq and is now back. I know his time has not been as good as mine, but he loves this country and has been proud to fight for it. I do have family that lost their house in KAtrina, but that was more the state democratic governor's fault that Bush's if you really get into the issue.Sorry to digress, but I get annoyed when people act like this country has been complete shit for the past 8 years. I am not saying Bush has done a good job, but most people that have worked had have personally had a good 8 years.

Anyways here are a few of Mccains policies and why I will vote for him:

- Immigration - His initial plan in Congress was too weak on the illegals. He wants to come up with a stricter plan for them to reach citizenship. Obviously shipping them all back to Mexico or wherever where they are from is an impossible task. We need some sort of strict guidelines for them to reach citizenship by a certain period of time or they are deported.

- The war in Iraq - He doesnt want to cut and run. He wants to leave Iraq in a state where they can defend themselves, and it is not a harbor for terrorism. Obama wants to cut and run.

- Mccain wants to privatize social security

- He is against universal healthcare

- Gas tax holiday - During some months Mccain wants to repeal the taxes on gas. I am not sure if this is a great idea or not, but at least he thought of something rather than just saying "we are going to lower gas prices"

- He is against raising taxes. With Obama's healthcare plan and his increased help to those on welfare, the average middle class person would receive a great tax hike

I dont agree with him on everything. I would like to find out more on his stance on some social issues such as gay marriage, abortion, etc... I dont think he is a great candidate by any means, but he is light years better than the alternative.

Don Quixote
06-06-2008, 10:08 AM
I read somewhere that this is the inevitable result of a campaign based around a cult of personality (Obama). The election turns into an up-or-down plebiscite on the object of the cult, and not so much about political philosophy, issues, etc.

Not that there aren't significant differences in the issues; there are. But the election will reflect more America's attitude toward Obama than anything else.

clambake
06-06-2008, 10:20 AM
iraq didn't harbor terrorism. that was a republican gift.

mccain will change his stance about any conservative concern. that way you feel warm and cozy.

the situation in iraq will change dramatically when we stop paying them not to kill us. it has nothing to do with their govts. stability. that doesn't exist, and it never will with this cherry picked iraqi leadership.

JoeChalupa
06-06-2008, 10:54 AM
First off Mccain is not a staunch conservative. To say so proves your lack of knowledge. He is a moderate if anything.

To answer your question, I dont think Mccain is a great republican candidate. I do think that he is head and shoulders above Obama. I am voting more for Mccain because I am against Obama's policies, than I am for Mccains. People act like the past 8 years have been hell on earth in America. My past 8 years have been pretty damn good and so have my familys. The economy has only recently taken a so called downturn, but it is even too early to call it a recession. I wish taxes were a little lower, but than will not be the case if Obama takes office. I have worked hard and prospered financially, and so has everyone else in my family as well. My brother in law has gone to Iraq and is now back. I know his time has not been as good as mine, but he loves this country and has been proud to fight for it. I do have family that lost their house in KAtrina, but that was more the state democratic governor's fault that Bush's if you really get into the issue.Sorry to digress, but I get annoyed when people act like this country has been complete shit for the past 8 years. I am not saying Bush has done a good job, but most people that have worked had have personally had a good 8 years.

Anyways here are a few of Mccains policies and why I will vote for him:

- Immigration - His initial plan in Congress was too weak on the illegals. He wants to come up with a stricter plan for them to reach citizenship. Obviously shipping them all back to Mexico or wherever where they are from is an impossible task. We need some sort of strict guidelines for them to reach citizenship by a certain period of time or they are deported.

- The war in Iraq - He doesnt want to cut and run. He wants to leave Iraq in a state where they can defend themselves, and it is not a harbor for terrorism. Obama wants to cut and run.

- Mccain wants to privatize social security

- He is against universal healthcare

- Gas tax holiday - During some months Mccain wants to repeal the taxes on gas. I am not sure if this is a great idea or not, but at least he thought of something rather than just saying "we are going to lower gas prices"

- He is against raising taxes. With Obama's healthcare plan and his increased help to those on welfare, the average middle class person would receive a great tax hike

I dont agree with him on everything. I would like to find out more on his stance on some social issues such as gay marriage, abortion, etc... I dont think he is a great candidate by any means, but he is light years better than the alternative.

Of course I know McCain isn't a staunch conservative. :rolleyes But he like to act like one for the conservative crowds.
You mean the tax cuts that he was against before he was for them?
That gas tax holiday is a joke. It is pandering and you know it. Why do you think nobody is talking about it now?

At least we agree on one thing. Obama is not the perfect candidate but he is WAY better than another 4 years of Bush policies.

I've also lost several family members to the Iraq war. Don't get me wrong. They proudly served with honor. But they are gone just the same.

Semper Fi!!!

cajunspur
06-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Of course I know McCain isn't a staunch conservative. :rolleyes But he like to act like one for the conservative crowds.
You mean the tax cuts that he was against before he was for them?
That gas tax holiday is a joke. It is pandering and you know it. Why do you think nobody is talking about it now?

At least we agree on one thing. Obama is not the perfect candidate but he is WAY better than another 4 years of Bush policies.

I didnt say he was for tax cuts, I said he was against a tax increase. I wish he would have voted for the tax cuts.

I said I didnt completely agree with the gas holiday, but at least he threw out an idea out there rather than hoping or changing it.

I would rather have 4 more years of bush than partial birth abortion, universal healthcare, raised taxes, leaving Iraq in a terrorist state, etc...

xrayzebra
06-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Joe wrote=You mean the tax cuts that he was against before he was for them?

Eaahh, Joe, have you cashed your tax refund (stimulus) check yet.

Wild Cobra
06-06-2008, 11:12 AM

Conservative? My ass...

He's more liberal than conservative. His idea of reaching across the isle is working with republicans. He only has a few conservative ideals that are important in today's world for a president to have.

He is far more liberal with important issues than conservative.

He never was my candidate.

He will be worse than president Bush was.

Let you have it? OK... You're a fucking idiot, or far left whacko to call him a staunch conservative.

I will only engage in debate that supports him if it is to defend him against a lie. He does have several redeeming qualities. I just don't want to see him as our president.

Wild Cobra
06-06-2008, 11:15 AM
So, you mean to say that the conservative rejection of Obama has nothing to do with his attitude toward America, his politics, or what he'll do as President, and is solely based upon racist bigoted fears about his race? Can you clarify?

Yep, when (if) Obama loses, it will all be because of race. The leftist media will pound in the point that it's because of his color, not because Americans will reject his policies.

Wait and see...

clambake
06-06-2008, 11:16 AM
in all fairness, we all know that conservative support for mccain WILL be staunch.

Don Quixote
06-06-2008, 11:17 AM
I trust you're being sarcastic. My qualms with the Anointed One have nothing to do with his skin color.

And there are no reputable conservatives purveyors of opinion that would object to him on the basis of race.

Wild Cobra
06-06-2008, 11:19 AM

That's one primary reason I dislike him. I don't tolerate liars.

JoeChalupa
06-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Racism is alive and well in the USA. Always has and always will be. But together we can make things better. YES WE CAN!!!

clambake
06-06-2008, 11:21 AM
That's one primary reason I dislike him. I don't tolerate liars.

you'll vote for him.

JoeChalupa
06-06-2008, 11:24 AM
A politician who doesn't "stretch the truth" from time to time doesn't exist.

Wild Cobra
06-06-2008, 11:24 AM
you'll vote for him.

Very unlikely. So far, my vote is going to Bob Barr.

Don Quixote
06-06-2008, 11:27 AM
WildViper: Good for you. I think the world of you and respect you, but I guarantee that if you lived in a battleground state, you'd think twice before pulling that lever for Barr.

Don Quixote
06-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Racism is alive and well in the USA. Always has and always will be. But together we can make things better. YES WE CAN!!!

Yeah, we still have racism. That blows.

But is it a defining characteristic of America? Our chiefest sin?

clambake
06-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Very unlikely. So far, my vote is going to Bob Barr.

when the possiblility of obama becoming a reality approaches, you'll change your mind.

balli
06-06-2008, 11:41 AM
I don't think Bob Barr is viable or anything, but I did hear an interesting NPR roundtable the other day discussing his candidacy and the future of third party candidates. I can't find it, but the basic premise was that there is a huge and growing groundswell of people in this country who advocate the demolition of the two-party aristocracy and at some point it is going to reach a tipping point. All this movement needs is 33% of the electorate, the libertarian party being the most likely to break though. Considering how increasingly shitty America is becoming, I'd expect we'll eventually see that happen.

cajunspur
06-06-2008, 11:43 AM

You sound like Obama. Saying we can do something tough but not giving a way to do it.

Also Racism does exist. There are white racists, black racists (look at Rev Wright), etc...

Wild Cobra
06-06-2008, 11:47 AM
when the possiblility of obama becoming a reality approaches, you'll change your mind.
Don't you read my posts?

I have maintained for some time that either McCain or Obama will fuck up this country. I would rather see Obama elected than McCain for that reason so the blame falls on democrats rather than republicans!

Don Quixote
06-06-2008, 12:23 PM
I've heard that line of reasoning before from other conservatives, and I respect it. But it doesn't take into account the sheer amount of screwed-up stuff a liberal President and legislature would pass, without opposition, in two years.

A better solution would be to hold your nose, pull the lever for McCain, and pray. Hunker down for 2-4 years, because it's going to get rough for us. I am optimistic that a McCain presidency will tork off enough conservatives to cause them to re-emerge at some point in the near future. And we at least have some protection against the radical, unchecked liberalism of an Obama presidency.

clambake
06-06-2008, 12:29 PM
don't worry, bubba's gonna go white.

PEP
06-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Don't you rad my posts?

I have maintained for some time that either McCain or Obama will fuck up this country. I would rather see Obama elected than McCain for that reason so the blame falls on democrats rather than republicans!

Are you kidding me? If Obama is elected and his term is plagued with mistakes or problems, all of the blame will be put on the Bush administration. Economy starts to falter, well its Bush's policies; God forbid another attack on the US, Bush's war in Iraq made the US vulnerable; Iran develops a nuclear weapon; Bush didnt sit down and talk to Ihmanutjob.

Look at 9/11, they blame the Bush administration and completely overlook anything the Clinton adminstration did to combat terrorism. But you cant even have a normal discussion about it because they start with the name calling and lunatic rants. (which is why I like boutons, he has it all)

clambake
06-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Are you kidding me? If Obama is elected and his term is plagued with mistakes or problems, all of the blame will be put on the Bush administration. Economy starts to falter, well its Bush's policies; God forbid another attack on the US, Bush's war in Iraq made the US vulnerable; Iran develops a nuclear weapon; Bush didnt sit down and talk to Ihmanutjob.

Look at 9/11, they blame the Bush administration and completely overlook anything the Clinton adminstration did to combat terrorism. But you cant even have a normal discussion about it because they start with the name calling and lunatic rants. (which is why I like boutons, he has it all)

someone didn't turn in their current event project.

ChumpDumper
06-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Look at 9/11, they blame the Bush administration and completely overlook anything the Clinton adminstration did to combat terrorism. But you cant even have a normal discussion about it because they start with the name calling and lunatic rants.That's the problem -- ineffectual as it was, Clinton actually DID things regarding terrorism before 9/11. The Bush administration actively dismantled the cabinet-level counterterrorism and did nothing to build on or escalate the Clinton actions.

It's very difficult to say any one action could have stopped 9/11, but it is clear that it would have taken a more aggressive policy than the Clinton administration had carried out. Unfortunately, Bush initially went in the other direction.

RandomGuy
06-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Yeah, can someone PLEASE tell me why they support John McCain?

Please?

RandomGuy
06-06-2008, 01:21 PM
I don't if any of the righties on this board view McCain as the Last Great Hope. We have realistic expectations for our guy -- that he might be conservative on a few things (abortion, pork) and that he won't screw things up nearly as much as the competition. But there are few real devotees to McCain outside of the ones who are actually working for him, or the (moderate) Republican establishment.

Translation:

"McCain isn't a democrat."

Ok then, I guess I have my answer. :p:

cajunspur
06-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Translation:

"McCain isn't a democrat."

Ok then, I guess I have my answer. :p:

Go read my initial post on this topic. I gave an answer

AFBlue
06-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Yeah, can someone PLEASE tell me why they support John McCain?

Please?

Conservative economic policy and moderate social agenda. Spent over 20yrs in the military and commanded the largest squadron in the Navy (re: leadership experience).

He's committed to reaching an end-state in Iraq suitable for our troops to come home, which is the better option in the long-term than leaving right now, IMO.