PDA

View Full Version : Kobe: Spurs lacked athletism

angelbelow
06-06-2008, 01:45 PM
paraphrasing but he also said "utah was more physical much like boston right now."

mardigan
06-06-2008, 01:45 PM
The Spurs do lack athleticism

xtremesteven33
06-06-2008, 01:47 PM
No-duh

SenorSpur
06-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Tell us something we didn't already know. Everyone except Pop and RC, of course.

Ok, I take that back. Pop is keenly aware because otherwise he wouldn't get so damn defensive every time someone brings it up in a press conference.

angel_luv
06-06-2008, 01:51 PM
You didn't say when the quote was said, but it seems like Kobe would be better served focusing on the task at hand then talking about us.

Although, I am impressed he has given at least some consideration to a subject other than himself.
Kudos Kobe.

angelbelow
06-06-2008, 01:54 PM
oh it was just right now on espn. press conference in boston.

GSH
06-06-2008, 01:55 PM
You didn't say when the quote was said, but it seems like Kobe would be better served focusing on the task at hand then talking about us.

Although, I am impressed he has given at least some consideration to a subject other than himself.
Kudos Kobe.
:D

Twisted_Dawg
06-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Bonner is not athletic?

Bruno
06-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Athleticism is coming...
http://lh6.ggpht.com/vreveret/R7fh9negCSI/AAAAAAAABlo/PdOT4zzYaq8/IMG_0058.JPG?imgmax=512

timvp
06-06-2008, 02:27 PM
The Spurs have lacked athleticism since 2000 :sleep

urunobili
06-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Athleticism is coming...
http://lh6.ggpht.com/vreveret/R7fh9negCSI/AAAAAAAABlo/PdOT4zzYaq8/IMG_0058.JPG?imgmax=512

you're raising your expectations a little too high on the kid... all of you... :wakeup

MoSpur
06-06-2008, 02:38 PM
That's why I said sign Kevin Willis!

msuh27
06-06-2008, 03:56 PM
you know what the problem with athletic players are? basically, 3 things.

1. they dont know the fundamentals of the game/they can't pass, shoot or dribble.
2. they dont listen/have attitude problems.
3. they are prone to injury.

our players aren't so athletic, but neither do they have the 3 above mentioned problems. (well, manu is a tad bit injury prone).

what i'm beginning to think more is that players that played under coach k at duke might fit in well with the spurs system.

Ginobilly
06-06-2008, 04:09 PM
The Spurs have lacked athleticism since 2000 :sleep

well 2003 being the Exception.

Everybody was athletic that year, even Duncan at times:wow

WayOutWest
06-06-2008, 04:48 PM

1. they dont know the fundamentals of the game/they can't pass, shoot or dribble.

our players aren't so athletic, but neither do they have the 3 above mentioned problems. (well, manu is a tad bit injury prone).

what i'm beginning to think more is that players that played under coach k at duke might fit in well with the spurs system.

A lot of the problems are solved the Spurs organization. You don't play within the system or you don't contribute on both ends of the court you sit. You cause trouble, you're gone. Nothing you can do about injuries. The Spurs are such a solid organization they actually made a decent defensive player out of Glen "Big Dog" Robinson. So it has more to do with who they play with and under for the Spurs then where they played before. The Spurs really lucked out in have two of the classiest guys in DRob and TD to be the face of the franchise and that class spreads to the players around them.

Just look at the JailBlazers of a few years past to see the opposite effect. 10X the talent but none of the character and they went nowhere.

jcrod
06-06-2008, 04:59 PM
you're raising your expectations a little too high on the kid... all of you... :wakeup

Do we have a choice? Its all we really have to hope for at the moment. Until we see what happens in FA and Draft.

rAm
06-06-2008, 05:05 PM
A lot of the problems are solved the Spurs organization. You don't play within the system or you don't contribute on both ends of the court you sit. You cause trouble, you're gone. Nothing you can do about injuries. The Spurs are such a solid organization they actually made a decent defensive player out of Glen "Big Dog" Robinson. So it has more to do with who they play with and under for the Spurs then where they played before. The Spurs really lucked out in have two of the classiest guys in DRob and TD to be the face of the franchise and that class spreads to the players around them.

Just look at the JailBlazers of a few years past to see the opposite effect. 10X the talent but none of the character and they went nowhere.

QFT

lefty
06-06-2008, 05:07 PM

So Kobe is injury prone nad has no fundamuntal ? :lol

Spur-Addict
06-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Bonner is not athletic?

Far from it.

lefty
06-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Far from it.

He did win the farting contest back in his fraternity days

Obstructed_View
06-06-2008, 05:50 PM
James White (!) is athletic. It did him worlds of good as a Spur.
'

mrspurs
06-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Tell us something we didn't already know. Everyone except Pop and RC, of course.

Ok, I take that back. Pop is keenly aware because otherwise he wouldn't get so damn defensive every time someone brings it up in a press conference.

cant argue that.....go spurs:flag:

Marcus Bryant
06-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Athleticism is coming...

Indeed. Now the Spurs need to add a couple young swingman athletes. They should be able to pull one out of the draft. With Tony leading the break that should be fun to watch next season.

ATXSPUR
06-06-2008, 06:20 PM

how does athleticism equal an attitude problem? I swear Spur fans and their holier than thou attitude. If a player isn't over 30 years old and declining he is a thug. :rolleyes

spurscenter
06-06-2008, 07:51 PM
barbosa

cherylsteele
06-06-2008, 08:33 PM
how does athleticism equal an attitude problem? I swear Spur fans and their holier than thou attitude. If a player isn't over 30 years old and declining he is a thug. :rolleyes
Many times players with athleticism think they are so great they are above learning and being coached about team ball.
There have been many athletic type players that crapped out in the NBA because of this very problem.

cze1860
06-06-2008, 08:36 PM
haha:flag:

clubalien
06-06-2008, 08:59 PM
no devin brown = no ring

we miss him.

DannyB
06-06-2008, 09:07 PM
The Spurs do lack athleticism

So true. Beyond Tony Parker ... and maybe Ginobili when he's feeling tight and right, the Spurs are one of the most un-athletic teams I've ever seen in the past 20 years I've been watching basketball.

But that shouldn't really bother you Spurs fans. The Spurs have been probably the most un-athletic team in the league over the entire span of your championship history. It's never been about being the best team, the most talented team, or the most athletic team ... you guys win because of Popovich's system. Period.

It's ugly. There's a lot of hacking and fouling, cheapshots and cheating, whining and complaining to the refs on every play ... but it works. You win. Everyone else in the league hates you, and all the fans of all the other teams despise you ... but Pop's system exploits every blind spot and loophole in the rulebook and all of the human weaknesses of the referees, and you win.

Congrats to the San Antonio Spurs: the most un-athletic champion in the history of professional fucking ATHLETICS!

NewJerSpur
06-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Wow, Kobe gave another team credit?

Pucho!!!
06-06-2008, 10:07 PM
[QUOTE=DannyB;2583517]So true. Beyond Tony Parker ... and maybe Ginobili when he's feeling tight and right, the Spurs are one of the most un-athletic teams I've ever seen in the past 20 years I've been watching basketball.

But that shouldn't really bother you Spurs fans. The Spurs have been probably the most un-athletic team in the league over the entire span of your championship history. It's never been about being the best team, the most talented team, or the most athletic team ... you guys win because of Popovich's system. Period.

It's ugly. There's a lot of hacking and fouling, cheapshots and cheating, whining and complaining to the refs on every play ... but it works. You win. Everyone else in the league hates you, and all the fans of all the other teams despise you ... but Pop's system exploits every blind spot and loophole in the rulebook and all of the human weaknesses of the referees, and you win.

Congrats to the San Antonio Spurs: the most un-athletic champion in the history of professional fucking ATHLETICS![/QUOTE

1st Kobe also thinks the lakers play great defense, haha. This comes from a person who's team traded marion for a busted, on-the-brink of retirement shaq and loss a coach. For all your atheleticism, ya'll sure didnt win shit for it and when u tried to get your own cheap shot giver, we broke ya'lls hearts like we do every time we meet. Its not that we're unathletic, its with tim, parker and manu all we need is for mo fo's to hit WIDE OPEN shots, but since they were old and tired we missed WIDE OPEN shots and have now gone fishin in Canyon Lake. Every team does the same exact things that your accusing the spurs of. Dont get mad at us cause your teams 2 best players feel defense is something the rest of their team has to play. All Kobe said was that they have to adjust to each round, that each team has a different aggressiveness. Get a life and a new team, its not too late for you to be sixers fan they have a title at least. hahaha

DannyB
06-06-2008, 10:20 PM
[QUOTE=DannyB;2583517]So true. Beyond Tony Parker ... and maybe Ginobili when he's feeling tight and right, the Spurs are one of the most un-athletic teams I've ever seen in the past 20 years I've been watching basketball.

Congrats to the San Antonio Spurs: the most un-athletic champion in the history of professional fucking ATHLETICS![/QUOTE

1st Kobe also thinks the lakers play great defense, haha. This comes from a person who's team traded marion for a busted, on-the-brink of retirement shaq and loss a coach. For all your atheleticism, ya'll sure didnt win shit for it and when u tried to get your own cheap shot giver, we broke ya'lls hearts like we do every time we meet. Its not that we're unathletic, its with tim, parker and manu all we need is for mo fo's to hit WIDE OPEN shots, but since they were old and tired we missed WIDE OPEN shots and have now gone fishin in Canyon Lake. Every team does the same exact things that your accusing the spurs of. Dont get mad at us cause your teams 2 best players feel defense is something the rest of their team has to play. All Kobe said was that they have to adjust to each round, that each team has a different aggressiveness. Get a life and a new team, its not too late for you to be sixers fan they have a title at least. hahaha

I heard "blah blah blah blah blah .... fucking blah"

Fuck your Spurs.

And fuck you too for cheering the Spurs.

Fuck you all in the ass with a big glass bottle.

intlspurshk
06-06-2008, 11:38 PM
^^^ that's good, keep on, Sun will forever under SPURS and you will forever complain.

Spurtacus
06-07-2008, 12:30 AM
Kobe's a genious....

Pucho!!!
06-07-2008, 01:21 AM
[QUOTE=Pucho!!!;2583592]

I heard "blah blah blah blah blah .... fucking blah"

Fuck your Spurs.

And fuck you too for cheering the Spurs.

Fuck you all in the ass with a big glass bottle.

You heard huh, so the voices in your head read out loud for you moron, haha. Face it your team sux and as long as their in the west they'll never win a title. The Suns suck ass just ask their coach....oh yea, he thought so highly of them that he moved on to the Knicks...hahaha
:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

MiamiHeat
06-07-2008, 01:24 AM
tell kobe to shut up

his lakers sucked average until :

- derek fisher lies his way to LA. Lakers get a good veteran PG for free

- pau gasol scandal trade.

yeah, any team can get good with 2 free players like that. kobe needs to shut up

exstatic
06-07-2008, 09:23 AM
http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/p5/20080420/21/327164929.jpg

Bring in this guy. He's 6'6" with an eye popping 44" vertical, and stroked the 3ball at 40% last year. Look who he blew past in the picture, too. :lol

Marcus Bryant
06-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Bring in this guy. He's 6'6" with an eye popping 44" vertical, and stroked the 3ball at 40% last year. Look who he blew past in the picture, too. :lol

Indeed.

DannyB
06-07-2008, 09:50 AM
I hope the Spurs do go out and get J.R. Smith ... that would be fantastic.

How do you think Pop will react the 1st time J.R. gets arrested for starting a fight at a San Antonio night club? I think he'll be pissed.

What about the 2nd & 3rd & 4th times?

How do you think Pop will react when J.R. decides he's not getting enough minutes/shooting enough/getting enough pats on the butt and decides to sulk? I'm sure Pop and the rest of the Spurs will call a team meeting for everyone to take turns giving him hugs and butt-pats.

The dude is a hell of an athlete, but he's a headcase and has problems with discipline. I'm sure that will fit in great with the Spurs.

exstatic
06-07-2008, 10:26 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40713000/jpg/_40713393_smith.jpg

exstatic
06-07-2008, 10:35 AM
http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=202&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=4145799

Pucho!!!
06-07-2008, 11:40 AM
I hope the Spurs do go out and get J.R. Smith ... that would be fantastic.

How do you think Pop will react the 1st time J.R. gets arrested for starting a fight at a San Antonio night club? I think he'll be pissed.

What about the 2nd & 3rd & 4th times?

How do you think Pop will react when J.R. decides he's not getting enough minutes/shooting enough/getting enough pats on the butt and decides to sulk? I'm sure Pop and the rest of the Spurs will call a team meeting for everyone to take turns giving him hugs and butt-pats.

The dude is a hell of an athlete, but he's a headcase and has problems with discipline. I'm sure that will fit in great with the Spurs.

He'll do the same thing he did when we had Cpt Jack: he'll put up with it until we win the championship, then trade him the next year for someone better

exstatic
06-07-2008, 12:15 PM
He'll do the same thing he did when we had Cpt Jack: he'll put up with it until we win the championship, then trade him the next year for someone better

Don't feed the troll. He's not here to discuss, just to get a reaction to his bullshit. You gave him one.

SenorSpur
06-07-2008, 12:18 PM
oh it was just right now on espn. press conference in boston.

Anyone have the actual quote from Kobe?

Pucho!!!
06-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Don't feed the troll. He's not here to discuss, just to get a reaction to his bullshit. You gave him one.

No just settin him straight so he may leave us spurs fans in bliss. If he returns with a reaction, I dont mind continually puttin him in his place just like my team does his team.

TheMACHINE
06-08-2008, 12:23 PM
http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/p5/20080420/21/327164929.jpg

Yes bring him in..so we can make more of these videos of JR SMITH but with a SPURS jersey.

1jP9W3O5zes

exstatic
06-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Yes bring him in..so we can make more of these videos of JR SMITH but with a SPURS jersey.

Ooooooooooo. A YouTube video. You might have an argument if we were bringing him in as a Bowen replacement. We wouldn't be. He'd be replacing the corpse of Michael Finley's offense.

21_Blessings
06-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Spurs also lacked heart. Punk bitches who could never close out a repeat.

NewJerSpur
06-08-2008, 04:13 PM

And for some reason Laker trolls keep coming over here to find validation with the Spurs' fanbase....how's that Boston series going anyway? :lol

exstatic
06-08-2008, 04:25 PM

What does that make the Lakers for the last 6/10th of a decade?

msuh27
06-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Many times players with athleticism think they are so great they are above learning and being coached about team ball.
There have been many athletic type players that crapped out in the NBA because of this very problem.

your absolutely right. you know EXACTLY what i'm thinking.

DarrinS
06-10-2008, 02:40 PM
So true. Beyond Tony Parker ... and maybe Ginobili when he's feeling tight and right, the Spurs are one of the most un-athletic teams I've ever seen in the past 20 years I've been watching basketball.

Congrats to the San Antonio Spurs: the most un-athletic champion in the history of professional fucking ATHLETICS!

That probably why the Spurs committed the least fouls of any NBA team this season.

By the way, if your precious PG had any athletic ability, your team might have faired better than one-and-done.

TheMACHINE
06-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Ooooooooooo. A YouTube video. You might have an argument if we were bringing him in as a Bowen replacement. We wouldn't be. He'd be replacing the corpse of Michael Finley's offense.

My comment and youtube video was a DIRECT reply to your comment that JR Smith passed up Kobe in the picture.

Wouldnt you say that the video was a pretty good comeback? ;)

DannyB
06-10-2008, 07:33 PM
That probably why the Spurs committed the least fouls of any NBA team this season.

Yeah, I know. You actually just made my point about how they constantly bitch and whine to the refs in order to manipulate them into favorable calls. It works, because NBA refs are terrible, incompetent, gutless, weak-willed chodes who allow themselves to get royally worked by coaches like Pop.

Pucho!!!
06-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Yeah, I know. You actually just made my point about how they constantly bitch and whine to the refs in order to manipulate them into favorable calls. It works, because NBA refs are terrible, incompetent, gutless, weak-willed chodes who allow themselves to get royally worked by coaches like Pop.

Interesting you would say that when in Rd 1, all I saw was your coach whinnin, cryin, makin that stupid face when he wasn't gettin the calls he wanted, but like I said earlier he must have not thought too much of your city or your team cuz he bailed on both of yall. Pop 11 yrs and counting, hahaha

rascal
06-11-2008, 11:26 AM

No the Duke players have always under performed at the nba level. They never seem to be as good as they looked at Duke.

rascal
06-11-2008, 11:28 AM
He did win the farting contest back in his fraternity days

Link

PoleSmoking
06-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Interesting you would say that when in Rd 1, all I saw was your coach whinnin, cryin, makin that stupid face when he wasn't gettin the calls he wanted, but like I said earlier he must have not thought too much of your city or your team cuz he bailed on both of yall. Pop 11 yrs and counting, hahaha

No, dummy. He left because he's a little bitch who couldn't take the pressure to win, and couldn't handle the media/fan criticism. He left because he's a stubborn little child who refuses to take constructive criticism from his bosses, Kerr and Sarver.

Now he goes to an awful team that (he thinks) nobody expects to win anytime soon, to a city that is happy (for now) just to be rid of Isaiah.

The funny thing is, he's gonna get absolutely crucified by the fans and media in New York if he stubbornly refuses to change his coaching style to include playing defensive, playing the bench, and developing young players. That honeymoon will last maybe 1 year ... tops. In fact, I bet they start to turn on him before next season is over.

BTW, I wasn't talking specifically about Popovich whining and complaining to the refs all game long (which he does), so bringing up D'Antoni kinda misses the point.

I was talking about the WHOLE SPURS TEAM constantly bitching and moaning to the refs after EVERY SINGLE PLAY. After a few quarters, it wears the refs down and the calls start to break the Spurs' way for the signature late-game surge the Spurs are known for.

Pucho!!!
06-11-2008, 01:32 PM
No, dummy. He left because he's a little bitch who couldn't take the pressure to win, and couldn't handle the media/fan criticism. He left because he's a stubborn little child who refuses to take constructive criticism from his bosses, Kerr and Sarver.

Now he goes to an awful team that (he thinks) nobody expects to win anytime soon, to a city that is happy (for now) just to be rid of Isaiah.

The funny thing is, he's gonna get absolutely crucified by the fans and media in New York if he stubbornly refuses to change his coaching style to include playing defensive, playing the bench, and developing young players. That honeymoon will last maybe 1 year ... tops. In fact, I bet they start to turn on him before next season is over.

BTW, I wasn't talking specifically about Popovich whining and complaining to the refs all game long (which he does), so bringing up D'Antoni kinda misses the point.

I was talking about the WHOLE SPURS TEAM constantly bitching and moaning to the refs after EVERY SINGLE PLAY. After a few quarters, it wears the refs down and the calls start to break the Spurs' way for the signature late-game surge the Spurs are known for.

Im the dummy for stickin up for our, I mean, my coach and his team. He left cuz he hates the SUNS AND PHX jackass, why you would care otherwise I wouldnt know; go suck one with your BF DannyB and stop posin as a Spur fan Queer. Bitching at the refs all game, hahahaha, thats sumthing just about everyone on your team, the Suns, do from the ex-coach down, minus nash. Theyre soft just like your rebuttal, open up for the load!!!!!!:lol

DMX7
06-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Talk about stating the obvious on Kobe's part.

msuh27
06-11-2008, 02:13 PM
No the Duke players have always under performed at the nba level. They never seem to be as good as they looked at Duke.

I feel your right up to a certain point. Duke basketball is played in a controlled, steady, team approach. Defense and communication amongst the players and coach are top notch. Mental mistakes happen alot less compared to other programs. Even when a top notch recruit comes to play at Duke, they are broken down to the fundamentals, retaught how to play Coach K's system, and then they can blossom. Another common trait among the spurs and duke. the players are all well behaved, and they would die for their respective coaches.

Now I understand what you mean by Duke players not doing well in the NBA. Grant Hill was marred by injuries, Jason Williams and Bobby Hurley both had career ending injuries, Corey Maggette never turned into a superstar, (let alone an all star), William Avery, Trajan Langdon, Shane Battier( Don't you think he would be an awesome spur?), Luol Deng and Christian Laetnner. Elton Brand is the only dukie to have a respectable career so far. But even he is far from HOF status.

What this means is that both the Spurs and Duke don't take bad attitude players. Hell, I've never seen so many white preppy players on the Duke Bench before last season. They will always win the psychological aspect of the game, can they win the physical part? The Spurs got their asses kicked this postseason in the physical part of the game. That's my two cents.

PoleSmoking
06-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Im the dummy for stickin up for our, I mean, my coach and his team. He left cuz he hates the SUNS AND PHX jackass, why you would care otherwise I wouldnt know; go suck one with your BF DannyB and stop posin as a Spur fan Queer. Bitching at the refs all game, hahahaha, thats sumthing just about everyone on your team, the Suns, do from the ex-coach down, minus nash. Theyre soft just like your rebuttal, open up for the load!!!!!!:lol

Find me the article or interview where D'Antoni says he left because he hates the Suns and Phoenix. You won't be able to, of course because it doesn't exist ... because it never happened.

So basically, your little theory is just a bunch of bullshit you pulled out of your own ass without a shred of evidence to back it up.

Pucho!!!
06-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Find me the article or interview where D'Antoni says he left because he hates the Suns and Phoenix. You won't be able to, of course because it doesn't exist ... because it never happened.

So basically, your little theory is just a bunch of bullshit you pulled out of your own ass without a shred of evidence to back it up.

Exactly, because I could care less about the Suns, PHX or anything that has to do with either. I just find it funny that he would leave his contract early and since we all know the excuse he gave was bullshit, IM FREE as not a Suns fan to say whatever malicious thing I can about them. You on the other hand claim to be a Spurs fan and yet defend your buttbuddy DannyB and his team to the teeth. Like I said go find your BF and open for his load since you love the Suns so much haha