PDA

View Full Version : 3d modeling: 3ds max, maya, formz, sketchup, etc...

Joe Schmoogins
06-06-2008, 10:59 PM
I'm just getting into 3ds Max and Maya... I was wondering if anyone knew of good places to download free materials, or if anyone wanted to share their materials!

Also, we could use this thread to post any images or share modeling techniques... or whatev.

circ
06-07-2008, 12:06 AM
did you pay for maya?

Joe Schmoogins
06-07-2008, 01:33 AM
I always pay for everything... doesn't everyone?

sabar
06-07-2008, 01:36 AM
I used to do a lot of 3d modeling. After by 3dsmax license died I used blender which is pretty good for being free.

circ
06-07-2008, 02:11 AM
ok ok well i mean I'm pretty sure they're both 1000 and upwards. soo I wanted to know if those are trial or limited versions/

i dabbled in 3dcg but i'm terrible at it. I made a rather un-unique "spaceship" :P using Anim8or

sabar
06-07-2008, 02:39 AM
There used to be trial versions. Student versions used to be dirt cheap as most student version software is. I dunno though, haven't looked at in in years.

Joe Schmoogins
06-07-2008, 06:11 AM
My friend "gave" me copies of the full version.

Pistons < Spurs
06-07-2008, 10:55 AM
I've always wanted to get into 3dsmax. But the learning curve has always looked to steep. I'm sure one day I'll 'acquire' the program, and find some basic tutorials to get me through the beginning stuff.

Borosai
06-07-2008, 11:38 AM
I started off using LightWave3D years ago, but never did much other than read the thick-ass manual a couple of times. :lol At the moment I prefer modo: it's an awesome modeler with limited animation features which I don't care for anyway (but I believe they are adding features little by little). Blender is definitely a good choice if you're not looking to spend money or you just don't want to use software you didn't buy (?).

I think the only models I still have are rims and tires (for cars) that I think I designed, but they all look the same anyway. If someone is into modeling cars and wants some wheels, I can export them to a compatible format so you can use them. I hope to do some more, but who knows.

mouse
06-08-2008, 01:28 AM
I tried the Maya and something called MAX3D And another program with the word RED in it and auto CAD. I think it's for MAC, and I got a headache after 4 minutes of trying to figure out what to do first.

so many Icons and effects it's like you need a GED to figure it out. I will stick with my Barbie photo shop it's easy and does the job.
But I would like to see some work you guys did!

anyone want to start a basic photo shop class, or have contests?

Joe Schmoogins
06-08-2008, 04:39 AM
I'd be up for sharing work or graphics tips... contests would be pretty sweet as well.

Fernando TD21
06-08-2008, 07:31 AM
I used Sketchup for some time, now I'm learning Rhinoceros. But I also would like to learn about 3ds Max and Solid Edge.
This site have many tutorials for 3ds Max:
http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorials/3DS-MAX/8

Big Worm
06-09-2008, 01:05 AM
Well lets see whottt you gotz...............

mouse
06-10-2008, 01:10 AM
Where is all this juicy art and chops you all made?

Borosai
06-10-2008, 01:23 AM
I'm thinking about making a simple How-To/Tips thread detailing the steps I take when doctoring images of stupid assholes from other teams, if anyone's interested.

Joe Schmoogins
06-10-2008, 01:26 AM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/skwix99/livingroom2copy.jpg

I'll be the first to post... here's an image i made using 3d viz...

mouse
06-10-2008, 01:51 AM
I'm thinking about making a simple How-To/Tips thread detailing the steps I take when doctoring images of stupid assholes from other teams, if anyone's interested.

That sounds cool make a new topic I have many questions!! :tu

mouse
06-10-2008, 01:53 AM
Joe Schmoogins what is the purpose of that software, is it for people who make websites or just for people to have fun?

Joe Schmoogins
06-10-2008, 02:15 AM
Joe Schmoogins what is the purpose of that software, is it for people who make websites or just for people to have fun?

3d Viz is very similar to 3d Max... It is sort of the architectural version. The strength of Max is it's ability to model pretty much anything, animation capabilities, and powerful rendering engine.

You can use it for anything you want to but professionals use it to make movies such as toy story, sin city, i robot, etc...

I use the program as well as other programs to model some of my building designs...

mouse
06-10-2008, 02:29 AM
Its looks good you have more?

Borosai
06-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Here's a little something I found. I modeled this formula race car (the kind they use in college engineering competitions) for a friend who was working on one. He gave me some reference images of the chassis and other parts, and I wrapped a body around it. I had big plans for this little fucker (better textures, more detail, a video, etc.), but I came up short. :lol Anyway, it was just used for planning and presenting the idea, so it wasn't a huge deal.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/4122/formulaf34mo3.jpg

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/6477/formular34ig8.jpg

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/341/formulatopef3.jpg

davidana
12-30-2008, 02:48 AM
What better Autodesk 3ds Max or LightWave, i want to buy a good animation software and im going towards these. Which one do you think is better and why

Borosai
12-30-2008, 12:07 PM
If you just want to learn the techniques (the basics) behind 3D animation, I would save my money and use Blender. It's interface isn't the most intuitive, but it's free and there's a wealth of information for it. It's a good choice if you don't have a need for a specific program (for example, if you're looking for a job, they'll most likely have their preferred application).

If you really want one of those two, maybe they offer demos that you can play around with.

Rohirrim
12-30-2008, 12:12 PM
I am amazed at some of the stuff the pros can create.

I tried to get into it but it looked complex as hell. Never could get myself motivated enough to stay with it as just a hobby.

koriwhat
12-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Blender is by far the most sensible solution for those who don't have deep pockets and it does everything commercial products do. Ever seen big buck bunny (http://www.vimeo.com/1084537)? The possibilities are endless. My buddy is a big blender fanatic. I like 3d but I am not much for learning it.

On a side note... Both Maya and 3dStudioMax have LE editions that available to download and use. Not trials but LE editions which means they aren't full editions of the software but by no means are they lacking much in functionality. Certain things are left out of the LE editions.

Anyone into SoftImageXSI? It's a pretty nifty 3d program as well. My buddy uses SoftImageXSI and Blender moreso then Maya.

koriwhat
12-30-2008, 12:25 PM
I would save my money and use Blender. It's interface isn't the most intuitive

you haven't played around with it enough to make that statement... even though i don't mess with it i do however watch my buddy when he comes over and plays on my linux comp. the interface for blender is actually real nice even though at first glance it can look a bit dull.

i would say Lightwave takes the cake with a not-so-intuitive ui.

Borosai
12-30-2008, 01:40 PM
you haven't played around with it enough to make that statement... even though i don't mess with it i do however watch my buddy when he comes over and plays on my linux comp. the interface for blender is actually real nice even though at first glance it can look a bit dull.

i would say Lightwave takes the cake with a not-so-intuitive ui.

Seriously, how did you manage to write that? I've tried out my fair share of 3D applications to varying degrees (LightWave, modo, Maya, Blender, Houdini): enough to form my own opinion on what is and isn't intuitive (meaning instinctive... meaning you don't need to spend much time using it to come to a conclusion).

koriwhat
12-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Seriously, how did you manage to write that? I've tried out my fair share of 3D applications to varying degrees (LightWave, modo, Maya, Blender, Houdini): enough to form my own opinion on what is and isn't intuitive (meaning instinctive... meaning you don't need to spend much time using it to come to a conclusion).

it's alright man don't cry... i was just saying maybe dabbling around a bit isn't necessarily enough to form such an opinion. you use photoshop right? the first time you got into ps did you say the ui isn't intuitive? i can see if you a vetern 3d modeler and jump from one program to the next and know what is and isn't great for 3d modeling but dabbling in said program isn't enough to base such an opinion.

i don't do 3d work but i definitely watch my buddy hrs on end doing 3d work in various programs and i too have dabbled in 3d modeling but it isn't my forte. i have seen some cool things from blender's ui is all i am saying.

ps: i almost forgot who i was talking with... oh now i get it. :rolleyes