PDA

View Full Version : bullshit!

dallaskd
06-07-2008, 01:19 AM
there are geek, international, and ebay forums but not an mma one? wtf?!

nsrammstein
06-07-2008, 01:22 AM
first of all what the fuck does mma mean? second who's that hot broad you got on yer sig?

balli
06-07-2008, 01:25 AM
first of all what the fuck does mma mean?
It means a real sport is dead.

dallaskd
06-07-2008, 01:25 AM
It means a real sport is dead.

???

dallaskd
06-07-2008, 01:26 AM
first of all what the fuck does mma mean? second who's that hot broad you got on yer sig?

Mixed Martial Arts

balli
06-07-2008, 01:30 AM
???

By which I meant mixed martial arts have replaced boxing as America's way of satisfying bloodlust. (In addition to gun crimes, bar fights and GTA 4)

Or did you mean "???" as in- WTF, are you implying MMA isn't a real sport?

dallaskd
06-07-2008, 01:32 AM
By which I meant mixed martial arts have replaced boxing as America's way of satisfying bloodlust. (In addition to gun crimes, bar fights and GTA 4)

Or did you mean "???" as in- WTF, are you implying MMA isn't a real sport?

if you think mma is a way to satistfy bloodlust, you are obviously clueless.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-07-2008, 01:35 AM
yeah, because the allure of MMA is not just watching two guys kick the shit out of each other (almost literally) until one of them is unconscious!

nsrammstein
06-07-2008, 01:38 AM
I can't believe that shit has replaced boxing!

balli
06-07-2008, 01:39 AM
if you think mma is a way to satistfy bloodlust, you are obviously clueless.
Sure am. Haven't watched shit worth of mma except for a couple of old Gracie fights. But from what I understand, it's rather violent, no?

Boxing is no different. Sure you tune in to see feats of dedication, strength, athleticism and hand-eye coordination, but let's be honest here, partially it's just to see a good old ass whuppin.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-07-2008, 01:43 AM
Sure am. Haven't watched shit worth of mma except for a couple of old Gracie fights. But from what I understand, it's rather violent, no?

Boxing is no different. Sure you tune in to see feats of dedication, strength, athleticism and hand-eye coordination, but let's be honest here, partially it's just to see a good old ass whuppin.

there's nothing partial about it.

dallaskd
06-07-2008, 01:46 AM
you sound like 2centsworth. to casual joe it may be about blood and guts but it is a sport and is the fastest growing sport in the world no matter what lame views you have towards it.

balli
06-07-2008, 01:50 AM
there's nothing partial about it.

I'm with you, but I'm in a good mood and was trying not to knock homies' choice too hard. Maybe there are other reasons taking precedence that he'll enlighten us with.

balli
06-07-2008, 01:55 AM
you sound like 2centsworth. to casual joe it may be about blood and guts but it is a sport and is the fastest growing sport in the world no matter what lame views you have towards it.

I don't know shit about it, nor do I condemn it. I'm just saying, I used to like boxing a lot, but the main reason was because I liked seeing people get fucked up. I mean, let's just be honest here about what the basic premise of mma is. Unless, like I said, you'd like to elaborate further?

Kori Ellis
06-07-2008, 01:59 AM
Starting a thread acting like a whiner and cussing in the title is certainly a good way to get what you want here. :lol

I am actually considering splitting the Other Sports forums in to sub-forums. The only reason I added those three other forums the other night is because I was goofing around when I was supposed to be doing my work. (Not that I need to explain myself to you.)

But anyway, complaining about something not getting done at SpursTalk by opening a thread about it knocks your request way down on my priority list. :lol

nsrammstein
06-07-2008, 03:26 AM
Starting a thread acting like a whiner and cussing in the title is certainly a good way to get what you want here. :lol

I am actually considering splitting the Other Sports forums in to sub-forums. The only reason I added those three other forums the other night is because I was goofing around when I was supposed to be doing my work. (Not that I need to explain myself to you.)

But anyway, complaining about something not getting done at SpursTalk by opening a thread about it knocks your request way down on my priority list. :lol

Kori just owned the bejesus out of dallaskd!! holy shit

nsrammstein
06-07-2008, 03:27 AM
hey bro do you still bang your cousin?

monosylab1k
06-07-2008, 08:47 AM
MMA is quite literally the gayest sport on earth.

monosylab1k
06-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Not to mention it's boring as shit.

Evan
06-07-2008, 09:05 AM

Kori has anyone told you you're quite lovely and do a wonderful job here?

But to the MMA critics...MMA is like any other sport...its not for everyone. While it at times looks horridly brutal (mainly due to cuts) its much safer than boxing, nhl, and the nfl.

Evan
06-07-2008, 09:13 AM
MMA is quite literally the gayest sport on earth.

There is a gay flag football league in Dallas that might have something to say about that.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c234/1967duaneennis/GayJiuJitsu.jpg

BacktoBasics
06-07-2008, 09:15 AM
you beat me to it Evan

LEONARD
06-07-2008, 11:01 AM
If there was never a single cut or bloody fight in MMA ever again I wouldn't care. I don't give 2 $hits about blood. If it's there, fine...it just adds another dimension to the fight really (ie, fighters get slippery) and ends fights prematurely sometimes. I'd prefer if the UFC (and other org's) got rid of elbow strikes on the ground since they're the most common cause of cuts...

If you don't know what MMA is:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh1uu_why-do-i-watch-mma-by-robert-park_sport
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hym4_boondock-furious-angels-mma-highlig_extreme
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3xxg8_a-tribute-to-pride-fc_sport

Violent, but safer than boxing...and many other sports that are accepted by the American public...

"Dedication, strength, athleticism and hand-eye coordination"...sounds like MMA to me...some of the best, most highly skilled athletes in the world compete in MMA...

Not to mention it's boring as shit.

You're in the minority then holmes...that's not a common complaint...

Golf, baseball, and even basketball are more boring than MMA IMO...but I still watch and enjoy all of those sports...

tlongII
06-07-2008, 11:13 AM
MMA is great. I watch it primarily for the violence, but that's just how I am.

monosylab1k
06-07-2008, 12:07 PM
You're in the minority then holmes...that's not a common complaint...

Yeah those TV ratings were gangbusters. It's so exciting they have to pimp a YouTube celebrity and they still fail.

Evan
06-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Yeah those TV ratings were gangbusters. It's so exciting they have to pimp a YouTube celebrity and they still fail.

UFC and EliteXC Ratings vs. NBA Playoff Averages

1. 2008 NBA Playoff Games on ABC--- 5.4 million viewers

2. EliteXC on CBS--- 4.85 million viewers

3. UFC 75 in September 2007--- 4.7 million viewers

4. UFC: The Final Chapter in October 2006--- 4.2 million viewers

5. 2008 NBA Playoff Games on ESPN--- 4.1 million viewers

6. 2008 NBA Playoff Games on TNT--- 3.8 million viewers

Evan
06-07-2008, 12:19 PM

CBS released the final ratings for EliteXC Saturday Night Fights this afternoon. The final twenty minutes of the broadcast featuring Kimbo Slice v. James Thompson drew 6.51 million viewers making it the most watched fight in the history of MMA. The previous record was held by Quinton Jackson v. Dan Henderson at UFC 75 last September which drew 5.9 million viewers on Spike.

With the inclusion of the final 51 minutes, the entire broadcast drew a 3.0 rating (4.85 million viewers). That number narrowly beats Spike's broadcast of UFC 75 which drew 4.7 million viewers to become the most watched MMA event in history. In the key demographics the program did a 3.2 in M18-34 and a 3.0 in M19-49. In the final 21 minutes the key demographics soared to a 4.1 in M18-34 and a 4.0 in M18-49, as well as a 4.3 in M25-54.

For some perspective, the NBA Playoffs on ABC are averaging 5.4 million viewers, while broadcasts on ESPN and TNT are averaging 4.1 and 3.8 million viewers respectively. Head to head with EliteXC, the NHL Stanley Cup Finals on NBC drew a 2.6 overall rating.

http://www.mmapayout.com/2008/06/elitexc-snf-final-rating-new-record.html

balli
06-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

monosylab1k
06-07-2008, 12:28 PM
So the NBA playoffs have more viewers than MMA. Thanks for that nugget of gold :td

monosylab1k
06-07-2008, 12:32 PM
:lmao a Youtube celebrity is the most popular figure in MMA. Yeah, that sport rules.

monosylab1k
06-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Maybe fencing can attract a bigger audience if they get the Stars Wars Kid to compete.

monosylab1k
06-07-2008, 12:36 PM
BEtIoGQxqQs
next MMA superstar

LEONARD
06-07-2008, 12:45 PM
So the NBA playoffs have more viewers than MMA. Thanks for that nugget of gold :td

Huh?

:lmao a Youtube celebrity is the most popular figure in MMA. Yeah, that sport rules.

The masses are MMA stupid right now...they'll eventually figure out who the real fighters are...

the fact that a 2nd rate product could draw 6.5 million at 10:30 central time is a sign of things to come.

If the UFC hits network and does it RIGHT, people will figure out what the sport is really all about...

monosylab1k
06-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Huh?

Did I misread that list or was the NBA Playoffs listed at #1?

LEONARD
06-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Did I misread that list or was the NBA Playoffs listed at #1?

Go to the top of this page...

N.Y. Johnny
06-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Huh?

The masses are MMA stupid right now...they'll eventually figure out who the real fighters are...

the fact that a 2nd rate product could draw 6.5 million at 10:30 central time is a sign of things to come.

If the UFC hits network and does it RIGHT, people will figure out what the sport is really all about...

Thats the big thing. If UFC hits network and waters it down from where it is now then it will turn off alot of fans of MMA. I hope that isn't the direction they go if they do.

I agree with your assesment there about a 2nd rate product drawing decent numbers. There is better than what was on CBS. People need interest piqued then they'll find better.

Evan
06-07-2008, 01:18 PM

You said "fail"

They topped the NBA at 5 &6 and the gap between 1 and 2 isn't that large. I hardly see that as a "fail"

UFC and EliteXC Ratings vs. NBA Playoff Averages

1. 2008 NBA Playoff Games on ABC--- 5.4 million viewers

2. EliteXC on CBS--- 4.85 million viewers

3. UFC 75 in September 2007--- 4.7 million viewers

4. UFC: The Final Chapter in October 2006--- 4.2 million viewers

5. 2008 NBA Playoff Games on ESPN--- 4.1 million viewers

6. 2008 NBA Playoff Games on TNT--- 3.8 million viewers

And Kimbo is a joke and is being shredded by the media and every single MMA fan. Their CEO , Gary Shaw, is from the world of boxing and brought his boxing circus mindset with him.

N.Y. Johnny
06-07-2008, 01:20 PM
And Kimbo is a joke and is being shredded by the media and every single MMA fan. Their CEO , Gary Shaw, is from the world of boxing and brought his boxing circus mindset with him.

Couldn't have said it better.

Signed,
Jimmy Lennon Jr.

Evan
06-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Thats the big thing. If UFC hits network and waters it down from where it is now then it will turn off alot of fans of MMA. I hope that isn't the direction they go if they do.

I agree with your assesment there about a 2nd rate product drawing decent numbers. There is better than what was on CBS. People need interest piqued then they'll find better.

That won't happen.

Thats why the UFC is not on network TV yet...they won't give up control of their product.

What the masses saw on CBS was garbage and an embarrassment to the sport. Kimbo is far from popular.

DannyT
06-07-2008, 03:22 PM
there are geek, international, and ebay forums but not an mma one? wtf?!

waaaaah waaaaaah waaaaah I wanna go home...

Tree hugger
06-07-2008, 03:35 PM
I asked Kori 3 years ago for a cooking forum so wait your turn.

Evan
06-07-2008, 03:46 PM
I asked Kori 3 years ago for a cooking forum so wait your turn.

Go hug a tree and bake me a pie

Evan
06-07-2008, 03:46 PM
apple

Pistons < Spurs
06-07-2008, 05:10 PM

I think fans of MMA are deluding themselves into thinking the average person will ever care about the sport.

The average Joe who is not necessarily an MMA fan did not tune in the EliteXC event to watch MMA. They tuned in to see Kimbo. They don't care about the sport. They wanted to watch because of the pseudo celebrity status and attention he was receiving.

UFC may indeed have better fighters and put on a better show. But the average TV viewer doesn't care. By now, we've all mostly been exposed to the sport to some level or another. And we've decided if we're fans or not. The real fans will search out the product and watch it where ever it's being shown. But if UFC was suddenly put on some prime time schedule on a big network, the sport wouldn't suddenly explode. It naturally would get some more fans due to ease of access. But the majority of people have already decided they don't care for the sport. It won't convert them.

It holds true for all sports. Whether I'm watching junior high kids play Water Polo, or the very best players that Water Polo has to offer, I still don't like the sport. MMA is the same thing.

Next time there's some weirdo celeb looking to make a few bucks by stepping into the ring, I might turn it on to see what happens, but other than that I probably won't be watching any other MMA events. Just like the rest of the country.

Condemned 2 HelLA
06-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Is Dance Dance Revolution a sport now too?

dallaskd
06-07-2008, 05:22 PM
anyone watch UFC 85 today?

Trainwreck2100
06-07-2008, 05:23 PM
I saw the matchup of ortiz shamrock III and couldn't figure out what the big deal was. Looks like my summer "sport" to watch this year will be poker.

mouse
06-07-2008, 05:24 PM
It's all about the Hype! and how you sell it to the public.

Look at American Gladiators. they have cool nick names and it's all steroids,obstacle courses and entertainment. You get the produces of that show and make another show called "kick my ass!" and have cool costumes and nick names and have fighters come out there and bite each others ears off and slice there body parts with sharp knives and everyone will tune in.

Don't say a show won't be a hit as long as people still tune in to watch shows like
"so you think you can dance"

Evan
06-07-2008, 05:37 PM
I think fans of MMA are deluding themselves into thinking the average person will ever care about the sport.

I have never once heard anyone say that. I could not care less if the sport grows or not.

But as of now the sport is growing so fast and picking up so many fans along the way its impossible to say where it ends or who exactly will care.

2centsworth
06-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Their CEO , Gary Shaw, is from the world of boxing and brought his boxing circus mindset with him.

you complain about this guy, but then you pimp his product hardcore. stop mentioning the Kimbo ratings if you some how hate the way they were achieved. You want the good, but not the bad, so very blind of you.

MMA is a good sport, but their zombie followers make you want to say things like, the fighters are gay because they dry hump each other, or that the next big MMA event will include broken bottles and chains.

Evan
06-07-2008, 07:30 PM
you complain about this guy, but then you pimp his product hardcore. stop mentioning the Kimbo ratings if you some how hate the way they were achieved. You want the good, but not the bad, so very blind of you.

I can't stand Gary Shaw and the circus he has recently brought to EliteXC. EliteXC was a much better product before he focused the entire league on the farce that is Kimbo. EliteXC has a very solid stable of fighters that will thankfully outshine Kimbo soon enough. I have seen every minute of every EliteXC card and its quite sad that the jump suit wearing boxing promoter has taken center stage and sunk his teeth into it.

It can do much better than Kimbo and strippers dancing. Its very low class and all the criticisms I have read in regards to MMA from what they saw on CBS is well deserved. I can't blame a single person for thinking its trash because thats exactly what it was.

But sports fans in general tend to have short memories and this will move on when a better product hits the main stage.

I can be a fan of EliteXC and look past Shaw and Kimbo. I love the sport much more than anything negative either can or will do.

MMA is a good sport, but their zombie followers make you want to say things like, the fighters are gay because they dry hump each other, or that the next big MMA event will include broken bottles and chains.

This doesn't even make sense...Zombie? MMA fans tear into their sport criticizing it constantly wanting to see improvements in every aspect of the sport while its still shaping.