PDA

View Full Version : New Suns Head Coach: Terry Porter

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Sources: Porter to become Suns' next head coach
ESPN.com news services
Updated: June 7, 2008, 3:04 PM ET

Multiple sources told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith that Terry Porter is the new coach of the Phoenix Suns.

Suns general manager Steve Kerr called Porter on Saturday morning to offer him the job, and Porter accepted.

Porter is a former head coach of the Milwaukee Bucks and was an assistant coach for the Detroit Pistons this season.

Porter was interviewed twice, most recently on Monday.

The Suns had been searching for a head coach since Mike D'Antoni resigned to lead the New York Knicks. Other candidates included Houston Rockets assistant Elston Turner and former NBA player and TV analyst Mark Jackson.

Porter was Flip Saunders' lead assistant in Detroit the past two seasons. He led the Milwaukee Bucks' from 2003 to 2005, helping them win 41 games and earn a spot in the 2004 playoffs.

His coaching career started as a Sacramento Kings assistant in 2002.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3431024

baseline bum
06-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Huge upgrade from D'Antoni.

dbreiden83080
06-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Huge upgrade from D'Antoni.

Not really, he is not a proven coach.

Trainwreck2100
06-07-2008, 04:04 PM
He got the shaft in Mil, but i don't think he should have gotten a high profile job like this one

timvp
06-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Damn it, the Suns actually have a good coach now. Porter's Bucks always played the Spurs tough. He also especially doesn't like the Spurs anymore because supposedly he didn't receive an opportunity to be an assistant coach after he retired in SA.

Good hire, Suns :td

tlongII
06-07-2008, 04:19 PM
TP is one of my all-time favorite Blazers. I hope he does well, but I think the Suns are going to be in decline.

JamStone
06-07-2008, 04:25 PM
In 2 years, that won't be a very good job anymore. Hopefully, TP does well. I liked him as a player and a coach.

SenorSpur
06-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Congrats to the first TP.

baseline bum
06-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Not really, he is not a proven coach.

My pubes would be a huge upgrade over D'Antoni as coach.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-07-2008, 07:50 PM
:lol

dbreiden83080
06-07-2008, 09:03 PM
My pubes would be a huge upgrade over D'Antoni as coach.

D'Antoni is not a bad coach, we hate him but he knows what he's doing.

ducks
06-07-2008, 09:51 PM

by blaming others and acting like 2 year old
and not caring about d and treating your gm like shit

Gino
06-07-2008, 09:58 PM

I have to disagree. I almost fell out of my chair during game five when he brought Shaq back into the game with four minutes left in the first quarter and the Spurs over the foul limit. Don't take the opportunity to rest Shaq for the start of the second. Bring him in so he can shoot free throws at 40-plus percent.

Spurs fans might not like to hear this, but if it wasn't for "Hack a Shaq", the Suns might have won that series.

What was amazing what the D'Antoni just basically conceded to match the Spurs offense with Shaquille Oneal shooting free throws.

lefty
06-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Porter is still better then D'Antoni.

I expect Porter to use the bench more, and emphazise defense.

Well, at least they'll try to play defense.

ducks
06-07-2008, 10:32 PM
The same can be said for Pop.

:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes:roll eyes:rolleyes:rolleyes

T Park
06-07-2008, 11:02 PM
Yeah the Suns will be tougher, but I think they're toast.

Capt Bringdown
06-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Jeez, how old is this cat?
He's looking as old as Scatman or Cosby these days...
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080609/capt.85a913f613e44a669a43b4d8f7f65e30.suns_porter_ basketball_azmy102.jpg?x=180&y=247&q=85&sig=06NoLBa4rKqGJzvw4ah7BA--

RonMexico
06-10-2008, 10:23 AM
As long as he gels with Nash, gets Amare to use his athleticism at both ends of the floor, and uses the bench, I'm already happy.

As an A&M fan, I find this similar to the Mike Sherman hire: both former coaches of Wisconsin professional teams whose hires make you go "huh?" at first glance, but if they get good assistants around them and gain the trust of the players, then I think it all might work out overall.

I'm actually looking forward to the draft now because there might be some decent rookies around 15 that the Suns could grab. Or they might be able to unload Barbosa and trade up? Sure, the Suns are aging, but Porter might actually use his bench to save the older guys during the season and still build for the future. He can go away from relying on Nash to save the team and generate 90% of the offense at all times and maybe develop some moves for Amare in the post.

The key is the assistants he hires, who remains from the current staff (I don't see Gentry staying, but I'd like to see Phil Weber stay because he's a good shooting coach), and the trust he gains from the players.

xtremesteven33
06-10-2008, 10:31 AM
What do yall think of a trade?

Rajon Rondo for Steve Nash?

Phoenix gets a good young PG to rebuild with and Celtics get the experienced and perfect "right now" point guard, who wants to win a ring.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-10-2008, 10:42 AM
No way in hell either team does that trade, besides contracts don't match.

DePastino
06-10-2008, 10:48 AM
No way in hell either team does that trade, besides contracts don't match.

And aside from that, if the Suns had wanted Rondo, all they had to do was NOT trade him to the Celts in the first place.

xtremesteven33
06-10-2008, 10:56 AM
And aside from that, if the Suns had wanted Rondo, all they had to do was NOT trade him to the Celts in the first place.

yea who couldve predicted he could play well under pressure like he has.

i think this trade makes sense for a couple of reasons. The celtics are not playing for the future, they are playing to win championships for the next 3-4 years. Rondo is not a franchise player and never will be. he has potential to be an all-star player years from now and thats what the Suns will look at.

The Suns cannot be thinking about "right now". Shaq is breaking down and will most likely retire this year. Nash is aging but still will probably play till the age of 40 just like John Stockton. he really doesnt show any signs of old age.
And Amare is thier new franchise player. keep him and build on him. Bring in Rondo and maybe a Leon Powe and you got yourself good players to build with. Nash cant win with this team and its obvious from the past 4 years.

why not try something new and build for the future.

DePastino
06-10-2008, 11:07 AM

i think this trade makes sense for a couple of reasons. The celtics are not playing for the future, they are playing to win championships for the next 3-4 years. Rondo is not a franchise player and never will be. he has potential to be an all-star player years from now and thats what the Suns will look at.

The Suns cannot be thinking about "right now". Shaq is breaking down and will most likely retire this year. Nash is aging but still will probably play till the age of 40 just like John Stockton. he really doesnt show any signs of old age.
And Amare is thier new franchise player. keep him and build on him. Bring in Rondo and maybe a Leon Powe and you got yourself good players to build with. Nash cant win with this team and its obvious from the past 4 years.

I'm one of the few Suns fans that believes it's time to trade Nash. I think that this current iteration of the team is done as a viable contender.

We should get what we can for Nash while he still has value and submit to rebuilding. Most people in Phoenix consider this idea heresy.

That said, the trade to Boston really doesn't work. If they win a title with Rondo, why would they want the ringless Nash and his substantially higher salary?

xtremesteven33
06-10-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm one of the few Suns fans that believes it's time to trade Nash. I think that this current iteration of the team is done as a viable contender.

We should get what we can for Nash while he still has value and submit to rebuilding. Most people in Phoenix consider this idea heresy.

That said, the trade to Boston really doesn't work. If they win a title with Rondo, why would they want the ringless Nash and his substantially higher salary?

1. Phoenix clears cap space that they are clearly over.
2. Phoenix gets younger
3. Boston doesnt want to get younger. they want players who can win, Steve Nash is a winner. he just has had mifortune in the playoffs.
4. Steve Nash has about 3-4 years left. just the amount of time the Celtics have to dominate the East. Rajon Rondo is probably too young to build a dynasty around as a PG. Nash would be a perfect player to have in the lineup. plus hes very unselfish and a leader.
5. Boston could throw in players to make Phoenix happy to trade a Nash for. Rondo, Powe and maybe T. Allen. im sure Phoenix would be happy to pick up little contracts and good players and get rid of Nashs 11$ million contract.

DePastino
06-10-2008, 11:33 AM
1. This is one of the primary reasons for trading him. He's become an unaffordable luxury at this point (and not to mention, is still a defensive liability).
2. Check...
3. Here's where I see the problem. If they win one with Rondo, I don't see them dealing him.
4. I totally disagree. He may be able to play for 3-4 more years, but he is clearly on the decline. He might do better in the EC where there aren't as many good PG's, but he is no longer the best 1 in the league, and maybe not even in the top five once Rose arrives on the scene.
5. They would have to just to make the trade work at all.

TDMVPDPOY
06-10-2008, 12:42 PM
looks like the suns are heading for the lottery next season

DePastino
06-10-2008, 12:48 PM
looks like the suns are heading for the lottery next season

Nah...I think they'll be doomed to fight for the 8 seed, perhaps sneak into the playoffs, then lose in the first round again.

Unless major changes are made that is.

I'd actually prefer the lottery to this scenario.

xtremesteven33
06-10-2008, 12:51 PM
they need to make amare happy before he decides to leave in 2010.

an old shaq and nash aint gonna cut it

RonMexico
06-10-2008, 01:10 PM

Well, under Mike D'Antoni, Rondo would have never played so there would never have been a shot to see how he operated under pressure. Mike said that he's "not in the business of developing players" and that was music to Robert Sarver's ears.

koriwhat
06-10-2008, 01:37 PM
this is why they wont trade for nash... because he cant keep up with the youth infiltrating the pg position. nash is done! atleast rondo shows more heart, determination, and a will to win. rondo has speed and youth on his side as well.

if i were a gm i would never make this trade and only because rondo has gotten to the finals(and might possibly win it all) and nash has done what again?...

Brutalis
06-10-2008, 02:09 PM
So many people making asses of themselves saying Porter is an upgrade.

Next thing you know Coke will buy Pepsi, then change their name to Pepsi. Riight.