06-07-2008, 02:44 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/serge_ibaka.jpg

Full Name: Serge Jonas Ibaka Ngobila
Position: Forward
Height/Weight: 6-10 / 220
Birthdate: September 18, 1989
High School:
Team: C.B. L’Hospitalet

NBA (http://www.nba.com/draft2008/profiles/SergeIbaka.html)
NBADraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/sergeibaka.html)
DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Serge-Ibaka-1302/)

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Project that could turn into a beast at the NBA level someday, but I don't think we can waste the 26 on a project big.

AFBlue
06-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Write-up from the first day of Reebok EuroCamp on Ibaka. He sound very appealing as an athlete and could be a good outside-in forward for the Spurs...I could think of worse directions to go at #26, though swingman should still be the priority.

Serge Ibaka- Ibaka had a terrific start, showcasing his incredible physical tools in nearly every moment he was on the floor, while also displaying a much better skill level than we may have given him credit for. His athleticism looked nothing short of breathtaking, as he showed running the floor in transition, cleaning up the offensive glass by jumping straight over opponents for a put-back dunk, an avoiding an oncoming defender in mid-flight by double-pumping and still finishing above the rim.

Ibaka was very aggressive running the floor in transition, facing up, drawing fouls, and making powerful huge strides every time he put the ball on the floor. He even knocked down a couple of jumpers, one from 15 feet and another a spot-up attempt from beyond the arc. His touch around the rim looked much improved, as he showed on a few occasions with some basic baby hook shots, which he probably would not have been able to convert back when we saw him in New Orleans in August. He was a massive presence in the paint defensively as expected, erasing a number of shots emphatically with his incredible combination of length and explosiveness.

Playing at a strong level of competition with L’Hospitalet all season in the Spanish second division seems to have helped him a great deal, even if there is clearly still a lot more room left for improvement. The release point on his jumper remains inconsistent, as he gets great elevation leaping off the ground but doesn’t always shoot it from the apex of his shot, making him fairly streaky from varying ranges. His overall feel for the game, particularly in terms of his passing leaves a lot to be desired, as does his understanding of team defensive concepts and off the ball movement.

Players who are as freakishly athletic as Ibaka (there are extremely few) are always going to look great in a setting like this, so it’s probably best not to go nuts praising him, but it’s still hard not to be encouraged by the very noticeable strides he’s making. There are still a few days left to go, but from what we could see in day one, it’s very hard to see how we’re not looking at a first round pick here, even if he’s clearly 2-3 years away from being able to contribute at an NBA level. He was the talk of the camp here in day one, and seems to have helped himself a great deal just by showing up to play.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2008-Reebok-Eurocamp-in-Treviso,-Day-One-2917/

SenorSpur
06-09-2008, 10:43 AM
It'd be nice if the Spurs had two 1st round picks. This guy looks very enticing, but I expect him to be gone by the time the Spurs pick. Anyway, the swingman spot, HAS to be the top priority and the Spurs will almost certainly have one fall to them @ #26.

Besides, I'd be shocked if he the Sonics don't take him. They've got a history of developing players from this region of the world.

kobyz
06-09-2008, 12:03 PM
he seems to me alot like Ian Mahinmi

SenorSpur
06-09-2008, 01:25 PM

Exactly

spursfan98
06-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Exactly

Mahinmi is better

yavozerb
06-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Serge Ibaka

Ibaka hasn’t been able to reproduce the superb impression he drew in the first day of the camp, but it makes a lot of sense when we consider how visibly tired he’s getting after an exhausting season for him. The schedule of the camp isn’t helping him either, as he played twice the second day, twice again in the third, while he had to go through a private workout with the Seattle SuperSonics during the lunch break (“private” gets all its significance here, as not even his agents were allowed to attend it—although the Spurs were). It’s no surprise that he didn’t play in the final day of the camp.
Draftexpress

Pretty funny that spurs and sonics are assisting one another...These 2 teams will probably be involved in trade come draft day. Also, 1 of these 2 (probabl sonics) will draft Ibaka..

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the news, yavozerb. :tu

Hopefully it's Seattle that drafts Ibaka. Spurs don't need a big man project with their 26.

MoSpur
06-10-2008, 04:17 PM
I big thumbs up from me, but I doubt he'll be around when the Spurs pick.

MoSpur
06-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Here's something I found interesting. Looks like Presti is helping out the Spurs in some kind of way.

Ibaka hasn’t been able to reproduce the superb impression he drew in the first day of the camp, but it makes a lot of sense when we consider how visibly tired he’s getting after an exhausting season for him. The schedule of the camp isn’t helping him either, as he played twice the second day, twice again in the third, while he had to go through a private workout with the Seattle SuperSonics during the lunch break (“private” gets all its significance here, as not even his agents were allowed to attend it—although the Spurs were). It’s no surprise that he didn’t play in the final day of the camp.

MoSpur
06-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Seems like the Spurs have some sort of interest.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Look 3 posts up :lol.

MoSpur
06-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Lol

Bruno
06-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Pretty funny that spurs and sonics are assisting one another...These 2 teams will probably be involved in trade come draft day. Also, 1 of these 2 (probabl sonics) will draft Ibaka..

I disagree with you interpretation of this common workout.
Teams often work out players together. This year there will even be a 12 teams with 24 players workout.

SenorSpur
06-10-2008, 04:31 PM
I hope the Sonics do draft this guy, and leave Batum on the board.

yavozerb
06-10-2008, 04:42 PM
I disagree with you interpretation of this common workout.
Teams often work out players together. This year there will even be a 12 teams with 24 players workout.

Lets be realistic, is there another 2 front offices with as many pieces interlinked as these two..I do not think either will assist the other in winning, but they will do extra favors for one another. I do see one of the sonics 2nd round picks being traded the spurs during this draft..

El_Mago
06-10-2008, 04:52 PM
I don't even see this guy being drafted on mock drafts, which is insane.

I looked at a scouting video of him, and the guy looks like a young KG.

He is destroying the competition he is competing with in the video.

I was highly impressed with what I saw, and I definitely would not mind if the Spurs use their early 2nd of Ibaka.

SPURSGOAT
06-10-2008, 05:05 PM
wonder how old he really is... lol!

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-10-2008, 05:06 PM
He might not be there at 45, but if he is, I wouldn't mind the Spurs taking Tyrese.

Pistons < Spurs
06-10-2008, 05:07 PM

....and I definitely would not mind if the Spurs use their early 2nd of Ibaka.

There was some uncertainty as to whether or not he would enter the draft this year. He was expected for next years draft. So many mocks never had him in the mix. But more and more you're seeing him in the middle to end of the first round. You won't get him in the 2nd round.

But don't the Spurs need more immediate help? Hornets, Lakers, Blazers, Kings, Rockets and Utah are all going to be hell to contend with. Ibaka is very intriguing, but yearssss away from playing in the NBA. Getting a Lee, Rush, CDR, or Jason Thompson seems much smarter to me.

Even w/ the first second rounder, you should be able to get a guy that could help this year if not next.

timvp
06-10-2008, 05:10 PM
No way I'd want the Spurs to draft Ibaka. Mahinmi is enough of a project as it is. If the Spurs draft big, they need someone who can help quickly ... not three years from now.

I'd say the Sonics at 24 makes sense for both Ibaka and Seattle/North Dallas. He's got a high ceiling and the Sonics can wait on him.

pad300
06-10-2008, 05:15 PM
I suspect that he will withdraw from this draft. His being in is just trying to draw exposure... He has enough talent long term to go much higher (possibly lottery) than he would right now. Especially considering that next years draft is expected to be light on bigs...

yavozerb
06-10-2008, 05:18 PM
He might better off to stay in and lucky if gets drafted in the 2nd round...I am sure all international player know about Tiago's situation. Stay in this year, get draft in 2nd round by someone, stay a couple of years overseas, get a large contract instead of rookie salary..

El_Mago
06-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I would be surprised if he stays in the draft.

If some way or some how the spurs can sneak in and grab a second 1st, then it could be possible they take a wing, and strong project like Ibaka.

I know the Nets have made it clear they are interested in dealing the 1st and the Sonics at 24th could want to move out as well or at least be open to it.

Pistons < Spurs
06-10-2008, 06:39 PM
I read somewhere that he told his agent that he is definitely staying in the draft this year, so I don't expect him to pull out.

Pistons < Spurs
06-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Serge Ibaka

Serge had 12 points (5/11 FG, 0/2 3P), 8 rebounds and 2 blocks, although 5 turnovers as well, during 29 minutes of the first game of the third day, while he settled for 10 points (5/8 FG) and 4 rebounds in 14 minutes against Ukraine.

One of the positive things we’ve seen in Treviso from Ibaka is his willingness to mix it up inside and play off contact. He had gained a certain reputation among some people concerning his aggressiveness on the offensive end. His lack of polished low post skills and his ability to shoot jumpers, even with some fade-away moves, lead some people to believe that he was avoiding contact. In Treviso we’ve seen him going towards the basket and, if he didn’t have space to dunk, seek his rival’s body to get the upper-hand when it comes to finishing around the rim. Also, the few times he decided to play in the low post, he looked pretty physical.

More positive things came from the short-to-mid range area, from where he looks pretty reliable connecting on his high-released jumpers, sometimes launched after reverse moves. In the end, with his leaping ability, it’s pretty easy for him to gain enough balance in the air to stay accurate. On the negative side, he struggled putting the ball on the floor, being called for travelling several times as he moved his pivot foot before taking the first dribble. The good news is that, if he ends up staying in Spain the next season, he will have a private coach to work on individual skills, something his game is begging for. If he decides to stay in the draft, he looks like a realistic first round pick regardless of the rawness of his game.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2008-Reebok-Eurocamp-in-Treviso,-Days-Three-and-Four-2921/

Mr. Body
06-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Just before the pasted section from that article, it mentions Ibaka had a private workout with the Sonics in which even his agents weren't allowed to attend... but that the Spurs were. Looks like the franchises will remain close.

It's worth checking out that article just for a picture of Ibaka. The guy's absolutely ripped.

exstatic
06-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Just before the pasted section from that article, it mentions Ibaka had a private workout with the Sonics in which even his agents weren't allowed to attend... but that the Spurs were. Looks like the franchises will remain close.

It's worth checking out that article just for a picture of Ibaka. The guy's absolutely ripped.

Buzz Aldrin Forum

Mr. Body
06-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Buzz Aldrin Forum

eh?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Buzz Aldrin Forum

The astronaut?

Mr. Body
06-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Non Sequitor Forum?

exstatic
06-10-2008, 09:39 PM
eh?

You're not the first one on the moon.

Serge Ibaka

Draftexpress

Mr. Body
06-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Mmkay. You're very clever.

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 01:41 PM
-Serge Ibaka will be keeping his name in the draft according to agent Andy Miller.

link (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Early-Entry-Withdrawal-Deadline-Gallinari-Stays-in-the-Draft--152ET--2929/)

tav1
06-16-2008, 01:50 PM
He wants to go in the second round, and I'd guess someone will grab a T-Wolves or Trailblazers pick to nab him.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-16-2008, 02:36 PM
My guess is it's the Wolves who get him.

Buddy Holly
06-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Maybe this is who the Spurs want with their 26th pick. Could be why they want to get another first round pick.

timvp
06-23-2008, 12:02 AM
-Serge Ibaka is in the United States, working out for NBA teams, sources told DraftExpress. Citing exhaustion, Ibaka initially decided to head straight back home to Barcelona after the Reebok Eurocamp in Treviso, but has changed his mind and worked out Sunday for the Utah Jazz. He also has workouts scheduled with the Detroit Pistons on Tuesday and San Antonio Spurs on Monday, which will also be attended by representatives of the Houston Rockets, Memphis Grizzlies, Seattle Supersonics and New Orleans Hornets. Ibaka is expected to be drafted anywhere from 23 to the early portion of the second round, depending on how he’s viewed by teams. If taken in the first round, he will likely stay overseas for one or two more years, as his contract is extremely flexible.

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/
Damn it, not another draft-n-stash with an "extremely flexible" contract :shootme

Ibaka looks like he's a heck of an athlete but he probably needs two more years overseas and then two years in the D-League before he's ready. No way the Spurs have the time to waste a first rounder on him. By the time Ibaka's entering his prime, the window will have long since been closed.

Blackjack
06-23-2008, 12:45 AM
Damn it, not another draft-n-stash with an "extremely flexible" contract :shootme

Ibaka looks like he's a heck of an athlete but he probably needs two more years overseas and then two years in the D-League before he's ready. No way the Spurs have the time to waste a first rounder on him. By the time Ibaka's entering his prime, the window will have long since been closed.

He'd only make sesnse to me if the Spurs end up aquiring another first rounder, or select him in the second round. Although, the Spurs might be looking at Ian as being their first-rounder this year.

If that's the case... Well, I'm not sure how many times I'm capable of shooting myself in the face.:(

Tully365
06-23-2008, 05:02 AM

I looked at a scouting video of him, and the guy looks like a young KG.

He is destroying the competition he is competing with in the video.

I was highly impressed with what I saw, and I definitely would not mind if the Spurs use their early 2nd of Ibaka.

In the video I saw of him on mynbadraft.com., some of the guys he's playing against look like they're 14 or 15 years old. I think if Mahinmi was in this years draft, he'd be thought of in the same way-- full of "potential." I have to admit though, Ibaka does have the physique of a Marvel Comics Superhero.

Bartleby
06-23-2008, 09:00 AM
According to draftexpress he has range out to the 3 point line . . . interesting. Of course, he missed both of his three point attempts in the June 10 game.

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2008, 09:48 AM
Maybe the FO is considering what it would do with an extra 1st rounder.

I hope.

Then again, if the Spurs' title hopes next season rest on a rookie selected with a low 1st round pick, they're screwed.

Pistons < Spurs
06-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Then again, if the Spurs' title hopes next season rest on a rookie selected with a low 1st round pick, they're screwed.

+1

Not that I expect Ibaka to be available for the Spurs, but....

Ibaka's game, skill and body may not be matured enough to help the team this year ... or for the next few years. But that's probably the case with anyone you select this far down the draft order. Long term, he might be one of the better options if he falls to #26. And who knows, maybe he is able to give you a little bit of something now just from his energy and athleticism.

SenorSpur
06-23-2008, 12:50 PM
+1

Not that I expect Ibaka to be available for the Spurs, but....

Ibaka's game, skill and body may not be matured enough to help the team this year ... or for the next few years. But that's probably the case with anyone you select this far down the draft order. Long term, he might be one of the better options if he falls to #26. And who knows, maybe he is able to give you a little bit of something now just from his energy and athleticism.

Unless the Spurs are able to fenagle the acquisition of another 1st round pick, I'd very surprised if they take a stab at Ibaka @ #26. They simply need players that are as close to NBA ready as possble. At that pick they have to resolve their existing scoring deficiencies and Ibaka, while athletic, needs more development.

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2008, 12:53 PM
Unless the Spurs are able to fenagle the acquisition of another 1st round pick, I'd very surprised if they take a stab at Ibaka @ #26. They simply need players that are as close to NBA ready as possble. At that pick they have to resolve their existing scoring deficiencies and Ibaka, while athletic, needs more development.

I don't believe all of their draft picks need to be ready for the NBA today (or close to). Free agency is the place to go for immediate help. They already have a rookie big coming in next season anyways.

Bartleby
06-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Exactly. I don't mind the Spurs drafting a project if it looks like the kid has a high ceiling (and this guy sounds like he could turn out to be a poor man's Amare in a few years). I just hope that they do so only if they are damn sure he won't pull a Splitter.

jag
06-23-2008, 02:51 PM

Wow, i didn't know he was going to need this much work. Thought maybe he could bounce back and forth from the Toros to the Spurs for a season...didn't think he needed 4 years.

This puts a damper on me wanting the Spurs to draft this guy.

SenorSpur
06-23-2008, 03:30 PM
I don't believe all of their draft picks need to be ready for the NBA today (or close to). Free agency is the place to go for immediate help. They already have a rookie big coming in next season anyways.

So would you be OK if, for example, they took Ibaka @ #26, and address the swingman spot in the 2nd round with, say a guy like Kyle Weaver, @ #45?

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2008, 03:35 PM
So would you be OK if, for example, they took Ibaka @ #26, and address the swingman spot in the 2nd round with, say a guy like Kyle Weaver, @ #45?

Sure, because they wouldn't be counting on that pick to crack the rotation next year. That's what free agency is for.

Pistons < Spurs
06-23-2008, 03:59 PM
An old article, but a very interesting read.

Serge Ibaka: The 18-year-old is a 6-9, 225-pound forward from Congo who has spent this season playing in the Spanish second division for the suburban-Barcelona club CB Hospitalet. Ibaka, who turns 19 in September, is averaging 10.8 points and 8.2 rebounds and shooting 55 percent in essentially his first official season of basketball.

Ibaka was 4-of-13 for eight points Saturday while adding eight rebounds, two blocks and two steals. He was not outclassed athletically by the Americans. "He doesn't know how to play,'' said an NBA international scout who knows Ibaka well. "But athletically he's off the charts -- there's no telling how good he can be.''

Which is to say that he has no ceiling. "If he could just get a good coach,'' added the scout, who passed on a rumor that Ibaka might move to the Spanish first-division club Badalona next season.

Ibaka's parents played basketball. His father, Desire', was a 6-6 forward from Brazzaville. "My father tells me that we are different players,'' Ibaka said through an interpreter. "My father was a true center, a defensive rebounder. He says I am capable of doing more things -- I can shoot, block shots, dunk.''

Serge was among Desire''s 18 children. After civil war broke out in 1996 (continuing in various forms through 2003), Desire' crossed a river in search of food when he was captured by one of the warring factions. "He was in jail for 1˝ years,'' said Spanish agent Pere Gallego, who represents Ibaka in conjunction with the American agent Andy Miller. "He was tortured. He almost died.''

Serge's mother died when he was 8. He lived with his grandmother, and during those times when the war was fought in his region, they would go hungry for a week or longer. "Their home had no water, no electricity,'' Gallego said. "I went to see his grandmother's house. At night the streets are of dust and trash, and no lights. There is no bathroom in the house. But he is proud to show us where he lived.''

Ibaka has made donations to his local club and the Congolese federation to help create opportunities for other young players. After the war ended, he began to play basketball more seriously. He and his friends would wear cardboard in their sneakers to cover the holes in the soles, and they would take a bus to play on the outdoor court nearest his grandmother's home. There was no league, but a local basketball coach helped him with the fundamentals.

At 16, he began playing for the Congolese club Avenir du Rail. Ibaka played for the Under-18 Congo national team in 2006 and was MVP -- as leading scorer and rebounder -- at the African Junior Championships the following year. While on loan to another club, he played in the senior African championship and emerged as the leading rebounder and best center. He was discovered by Cleveland Cavaliers scout Anicet Lavodrama, who had grown up playing against Serge's father. Lavodrama introduced Ibaka to the Spanish club Hospitalet as well as Gallego of the Spanish agency U1st. Ibaka joined Hospitalet last spring and spent last summer training at the Abunassar Impact Basketball academy in Las Vegas with NBA players.

"My dream is to be a recognizable player, someone that people will talk about,'' he said. "Kevin Garnett is my mirror.'' His role model, he means.

Many NBA scouts remain skeptical of Ibaka's future. "There are a lot of American 18-year-olds like him,'' said one scout, which is to say that Ibaka must improve his skills and feel for the game if he hopes to stand out in the NBA someday.

But his growth over the last three years has been impressive, and his humility brings hope that he will continue to work hard in pursuit of an NBA career.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ian_thomsen/04/15/hoop.summit/1.html

intlspurshk
06-23-2008, 04:08 PM
He is very good talent. if he get past Sonics, SPURS could buy 1st round pick with cash or trade 2nd round picks to get him while keeping 26 pick for a more NBA ready player like C Lee, M Chamler

JamStone
06-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Saer Sene?

wildbill2u
06-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Maybe the Spurs and Sonics are working him out to consumate a deal for the Sonics #2 pick in the second round.

I still think its unusual that they'd work him out in secret without even his agent allowed at the workout.

CaptainLate
06-24-2008, 12:23 PM

If he does "fall", and the Spurs take him, then I'd say they've given up on getting Tim more rings until he's 35 or so. That's when Mahinmi and Ibaka are beasts and TD can play 25 min/game. :lmao

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2008, 12:25 PM
If he does "fall", and the Spurs take him, then I'd say they've given up on getting Tim more rings until he's 35 or so. That's when Mahinmi and Ibaka are beasts and TD can play 25 min/game. :lmao

How so? Free agency is the source of immediate help. Barring Chalmers falling to 26 or the Spurs trading up to take him, whoever the Spurs draft will likely end up starting the season on IR and in Austin, if they are even signed.

The Truth #6
06-24-2008, 12:37 PM
The Youtube I saw of this guy was inconclusive. It looked like he was playing against a bunch of junior high kids. This is someone you take at the end of the second round in my opinion if you're the Spurs. We need talent at whatever position when we draft. I'm afraid we're going to get stuck drafting a big oaf like the guy from Georgetown.

objective
06-25-2008, 09:04 PM
DX is reporting that Ibaka's agent sent a mass email to all NBA teams asserting that Ibaka is better off as a second rounder with nice contract offers on the table in Spain with bad buyouts after two years.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Word-on-the-Street-Denver-trades-20-pick-to-Charlotte-2946/

loveforthegame
06-25-2008, 10:38 PM
DX is reporting that Ibaka's agent sent a mass email to all NBA teams asserting that Ibaka is better off as a second rounder with nice contract offers on the table in Spain with bad buyouts after two years.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Word-on-the-Street-Denver-trades-20-pick-to-Charlotte-2946/

Sounds like a Spurs pick then.

T Park
06-25-2008, 10:45 PM
bad buyouts after two years meaning that he won't be available for how long?

loveforthegame
06-25-2008, 10:57 PM
bad buyouts after two years meaning that he won't be available for how long?

From the draft express link posted above.

Ibaka Wants to Go Second Round

An email from Serge Ibaka’s agent Justin Zanik to every NBA team circulated on Wednesday evening, which may drop his client’s stock into the 2nd round. Ibaka reportedly has an attractive four year contract offer from two separate ACB teams in Spain, which would provide him with a great deal of financial security, and also allow him to develop in a very comfortable environment. The contracts would have an NBA out after two seasons, but with a considerable buyout. Should Ibaka be drafted in the late first round, according to Zanik, “it would be a great burden to him to make the transition to the NBA if he is locked into the first round salary scale.”

It appears that Ibaka, who we heard had many fans amongst teams such as Seattle (24), San Antonio (26), Memphis (28), Detroit (29) and Boston (30), seems very likely to drop past all those teams now.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2008, 11:06 PM
From the draft express link posted above.

Ibaka Wants to Go Second Round

An email from Serge Ibaka’s agent Justin Zanik to every NBA team circulated on Wednesday evening, which may drop his client’s stock into the 2nd round. Ibaka reportedly has an attractive four year contract offer from two separate ACB teams in Spain, which would provide him with a great deal of financial security, and also allow him to develop in a very comfortable environment. The contracts would have an NBA out after two seasons, but with a considerable buyout. Should Ibaka be drafted in the late first round, according to Zanik, “it would be a great burden to him to make the transition to the NBA if he is locked into the first round salary scale.”

It appears that Ibaka, who we heard had many fans amongst teams such as Seattle (24), San Antonio (26), Memphis (28), Detroit (29) and Boston (30), seems very likely to drop past all those teams now.

If the Spurs were so inclined, I guess they could buy an early 2nd round pick and select him.

T Park
06-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Unless he falls to 57, pass.

angelbelow
06-25-2008, 11:15 PM
splitter effect... spurs sure set a lot of trends.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Pick 57 indeed.

T Park
06-25-2008, 11:25 PM
splitter effect... spurs sure set a lot of trends.

Set what trend.

Draft good european players, only to see them screw the team over with euro contracts?

Russ
06-26-2008, 12:34 AM
A question for the experts: Is there a salary structure for 2d round picks like there is for 1st round picks? If not, then a team could offer big money to lure a 2d round pick from Europe but not a 1st rounder.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2008, 12:35 AM
A question for the experts: Is there a salary structure for 2d round picks like there is for 1st round picks? If not, then a team could offer big money to lure a 2d round pick from Europe but not a 1st rounder.

Basically.

In that case, a 2nd round pick would be like the team's own free agent. IIRC.

Assuming the team was capped out, then the most the team could offer would be its entire MLE.

SenorSpur
06-26-2008, 03:05 AM
I agree. No sense wasting a high second on this guy.

#57 if he's available.

InRareForm
05-25-2016, 12:06 PM
What do you tell people who say ibaka was hurt in 2014 and that's the reason why spurs won that series?

Darius McCrary
05-25-2016, 12:15 PM
What do you tell people who say ibaka was hurt in 2014 and that's the reason why spurs won that series?

Won game 6 without our starting PG and they had Ibaka and it was their court. Lolzzzz

K...
05-25-2016, 12:22 PM
Motivated Diaw>>>>>> best ibaka

RD2191
05-25-2016, 12:48 PM
Lol Spurs.

RD2191
05-25-2016, 12:49 PM
The Spurs really fucked up in the 08 draft.

spursistan
05-25-2016, 12:50 PM
if Sam presti is ELITE at something is his drafting and general talent evaluation..probably the best in the league..Spurs lost something there with his departure..

Chinook
05-25-2016, 12:51 PM
Dude's younger than Jonathon Simmons (allegedly). Let that sink in for a while.

RD2191
05-25-2016, 01:08 PM
good call :tu
:lol

Kawhitstorm
05-25-2016, 01:11 PM

Ibaka was there for Gm 3-6 & OKC still got blown out at SA then lost Gm 6 on their homecourt w/ the MVP getting outplayed by 38 year old Tim. Oh yeah, Tony was playing w/ a strained hamstring the ENTIRE postseason & had to leave Gm 6 w/ a sprained ankle.

Adams wasn't 2016 Adams thus Brooks played KD/Ibaka neither of who could guard Diaw in the post.

MaNu4Tres
05-25-2016, 01:18 PM
Dude's younger than Jonathon Simmons (allegedly). Let that sink in for a while.

Whats even more crazy is that Durant and Westbrook are the two oldest players of their current rotation ( not counting Foye).

Adams is only 22, Roberson/Waiters 24, Kanter 23, Ibaka 26..... Durant and Westbrook are 27....

They have better nucleus than the Warriors moving forward.

spursistan
05-25-2016, 01:21 PM
The Spurs really fucked up in the 08 draft.
G.Hill is no scrub, but really Spurs haven't done shit in the draft with late pick since '08..

MaNu4Tres
05-25-2016, 01:30 PM
G.Hill is no scrub, but really Spurs haven't done shit in the draft with late pick since '08..

Hard to do much damage consistently always being the last to pick in the 1st round.

Spurs make it up by always finding undrafted FA talent overseas or overlooked FA journeymen. From Stephen Jackson, Charles Smith (Spider one), Jaren Jackson, Fabricio Oberto, Gary Neal, Danny Green, Jonathon Simmons, Boban. Being able to have that edge with finding role players is what has helped the Spurs remain dominant for so long without relying heavily on the draft.