PDA

View Full Version : The 6th Big Thread

tav1
06-07-2008, 05:08 PM
I was hesitant to start this thread, but it might be nice to keep this conversation in one place. When necessary we can simply copy and paste material from other threads to bring newbies up to speed.

Most of us are of the persausion that the Spurs would benefit from another shot-blocking big. Some think this is a high priority, others not so much.

The Spurs will probably have Duncan, Oberto, Thomas, Mahinmi and Bonner as their contracted big rotation next season. The suggestions from various threads for the last big (LLE money) are: Rod Benson, Fransico Elson, Patrick O'Bryant, Alonzo Mourning (if healthy), Robertas Javtokas, Robert Horry, and drafting a big for Austin placement.

Trash or praise those choices, or add another name to the discussion in your response.

I'll add these two names to the list: Dikembe Mutumbo and Adonal Foyle.

And also the thought that perhaps the Spurs should sign Kurt Thomas to a one year deal and trade him for someone younger that is on a longer contract which his team would like to shed. I like Thomas, but that is an option.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Benson, O'Bryant, Javtokas, or draft project is who I would look to.

tav1
06-07-2008, 08:59 PM

Here is why I don't like those four options:

Benson is too thin, and doesn't have a capacity to put on the weight, it seems. Or so suggests ChumpDumper, and he knows more than the rest of us about Benson.

O'Bryant is maybe best option of the four you mention, but he can't be assigned to the D-League and will not see the floor. That being the case, I'd rather sign a vet or a youngster that is D-League eligible.

Javtokas probably couldn't get along with Pop if the history between him and the Spurs is already tense. If this weren't the case, Javtokas would deserve serious thought.

There will not be any available to late in the second and the Spurs need to draft at other positions with their first two picks.

To my mind, a vet on a 1 or 2 year LLE is the way to go. I'd prefer two years, unless the player was Horry, Mutumbo or Mourning. Then it is unquestionably 1 year. Having said all that, of the names provided so far, I like Elson and Foyle.

ChumpDumper
06-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Since Ian can block some shots and will probably get some burn this season, I'm putting a slightly smaller emphasis on shotblocking than I am on athleticism. Mutombo is great but damn slow these days. If we don't bring Thomas back, I certainly would consider Deke. I haven't seen too much of Foyle this season, I can only say his numbers suggest he's losing some of his athleticism. Still, if he's available he'd be worth a look.

Benson is definitely thin, but he was far and away the best rebounder in the D-League this season and is pretty fast in transition, another quality only Ian will bring if we don't get another athletic big man. He's about the same size as Elson, so I don't see why one could knock his thinness (I'm not against bringing Elson back either, if it comes to that).

O'Bryant's main problems are he's soft and he's gotten zero instruction on being an NBA big man. It is unfortunate that he can't be sent down anymore, but any potential could be determined in a training camp provided he doesn't receive guaranteed offers from other teams.

Javtokas? Who knows how much money he might want now.

In the draft. I'm not super impressed by the big men available to the Spurs in the first round, especially compared to Ian. I'm more inclined to spend the first two picks on guards/swingmen and see if one of the athletic PFs like Othello Hunter, James Gist or James Mays are still around at 57 and possibly be developed in Austin.

tav1
06-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Since Ian can block some shots and will probably get some burn this season, I'm putting a slightly smaller emphasis on shotblocking than I am on athleticism. Mutombo is great but damn slow these days. If we don't bring Thomas back, I certainly would consider Deke. I haven't seen too much of Foyle this season, I can only say his numbers suggest he's losing some of his athleticism. Still, if he's available he'd be worth a look.

Benson is definitely thin, but he was far and away the best rebounder in the D-League this season and is pretty fast in transition, another quality only Ian will bring if we don't get another athletic big man. He's about the same size as Elson, so I don't see why one could knock his thinness (I'm not against bringing Elson back either, if it comes to that).

O'Bryant's main problems are he's soft and he's gotten zero instruction on being an NBA big man. It is unfortunate that he can't be sent down anymore, but any potential could be determined in a training camp provided he doesn't receive guaranteed offers from other teams.

Javtokas? Who knows how much money he might want now.

In the draft. I'm not super impressed by the big men available to the Spurs in the first round, especially compared to Ian. I'm more inclined to spend the first two picks on guards/swingmen and see if one of the athletic PFs like Othello Hunter, James Gist or James Mays are still around at 57 and possibly be developed in Austin.

Foyle didn't get playing time because he and Howard are not a good pairing. Foyle could play off Duncan. The things I like about him are he's highly professional, very intellingent and is typically good with his rotations. He's capable of being a sturdy rebounder and protecting the rim in short minutes. No one is going to give him more than the LLE and he'd probably want to play for the Spurs.

One thing that is becoming clear is the Spurs have no need to target a big in the first round. Every name in this thread is a legit option for the LLE. They'll have a rookie to work in, more or less, in Mahinmi. Their frontline rotation may have been better with Splitter, but it's not in dire straits.

I like you're thinking on Gist and Mays--or even Benson--in Austin.

Russ
06-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Elson beats most of the other options. At least he can run and jump.

The thing to avoid is wasting a draft pick on a stiff like the lesser Lopez brother.

ChumpDumper
06-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Elson beats most of the other options. At least he can run and jump.That's pretty much my the ability I'm looking for in the sixth big.

I like the three potential late PF picks because in addition to possessing those talents, they're all built kind of the same (6'8" or 6'9" with 7'+ wingspans) and each has demonstrated at least some semblance of an outside shot.

AFBlue
06-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Elson beats most of the other options. At least he can run and jump.

The thing to avoid is wasting a draft pick on a stiff like the lesser Lopez brother.

1) Please God don't let the Spurs bring back Elson.

2) While I don't think it would be "wasting" a draft pick to snag Lopez, I think the Spurs would be better off trading out of the first round to pick up a couple second rounders (Minnesota's #31/34 or Portland's #33/35) if they aren't able to get the swingman they want in the first.

In the early 30's there are most likely going to be a ton of post players worth a look that won't require guaranteed money for multiple years and have the potential to contribute sooner rather than later. Guys like....

JJ Hickson
DJ White
Devon Hardin
Jason Thompson
Joey Dorsey
Richard Hendrix

Hell, I wouldn't mind if the Spurs used one of those picks to snag a post player that wasn't ready to contribute right away. Someone like....

Serge Ibaka
Alexis Ajinca
Nathan Jawai

After all, we are talking about the 6th big man at this point....and how much burn do we expect that player to get?

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 12:57 AM
1) Please God don't let the Spurs bring back Elson.

2) While I don't think it would be "wasting" a draft pick to snag Lopez, I think the Spurs would be better off trading out of the first round to pick up a couple second rounders (Minnesota's #31/34 or Portland's #33/35) if they aren't able to get the swingman they want in the first.

In the early 30's there are most likely going to be a ton of post players worth a look that won't require guaranteed money for multiple years and have the potential to contribute sooner rather than later. Guys like....

JJ Hickson
DJ White
Devon Hardin
Jason Thompson
Joey Dorsey
Richard Hendrix

Hell, I wouldn't mind if the Spurs used one of those picks to snag a post player that wasn't ready to contribute right away. Someone like....

Serge Ibaka
Alexis Ajinca
Nathan Jawai

After all, we are talking about the 6th big man at this point....and how much burn do we expect that player to get?

Running mock drafts the Spurs are almost guaranteed to see one of those swingmen often mentioned fall to them. If it's Courtney Lee, would you still want to trade back?

Kori Ellis
06-08-2008, 01:10 AM
I don't care who the 6th big is, but I'd like to upgrade one of the 2nd-4th bigs.

Joe Schmoogins
06-08-2008, 03:21 AM
I don't care who the 6th big is, but I'd like to upgrade one of the 2nd-4th bigs.

how do you propose to do that?

tav1
06-08-2008, 01:36 PM

If the Spurs upgraded 2-4 it's probably going to require a trade, and probably a sign and trade of Kurt Thomas and/or Finley. Some ideas (none of which I like) of what might be possible:

Joel Pryzbilla for KT in a sign and trade. Oden and Aldridge will need some of the money Portland owes Pryzbilla, and so they'd probably listen if someone called asking for him. The problem is that his contract messes with the 2010 plan.

Darko Milicic in a KT sign and trade. A downgrade but Memphis is so eager to get him off the books we might land Javaris Crittenton as part of the deal. Darko's contract falls off just when the Spurs need it to.

Charlie Villaneuva is rumored to be on the market, but I don't see a scenario where we could land him.

Eddy Curry. Yes, him. And yeah, I know.

Rasheed Wallace is available, but the Spurs don't have any of the assets the Pistons would want or the contracts to make it happen.

Given those choices, the best bet is to sign a competent sixth big and go by committee.

Bruno
06-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Baring Spurs don't do some trades, I think they will go with a young player as the 6th bigman.
The plan could be to put this young big on the Mahinmi plan and let him one year in Austin. After Mahinmi's quite nice year, I guess Spurs FO see the D-League as a great way to develop players.

The best way to get a young player is the draft. I wouldn't be surprised to see Spurs drafting a big this year.

jag
06-08-2008, 07:06 PM
I'd really like to see the Spurs go after a swingman with their first pick...but if they do go after a bigman i hope it's Ibaka.

Is it just me or does Serge Ibaka seem like Ian Mahinmi #2?

MaNu4Tres
06-08-2008, 08:06 PM
I agree with that we need to upgrade the 2nd-4th bigs. Whether it be a power forward or a center. Duncan needs some help for once. He hasn't had a legit starting big man next to him since Robinson. The closest thing hes had as help was Nazr Mohammed which is sad. Not dogging Oberto. Oberto does some things well. The things that the typical 4th big men in the rotation should do. IE make open layups, set hard screens, tap balls out, box out.

tav1
06-08-2008, 11:43 PM
I agree with that we need to upgrade the 2nd-4th bigs. Whether it be a power forward or a center. Duncan needs some help for once. He hasn't had a legit starting big man next to him since Robinson. The closest thing hes had as help was Nazr Mohammed which is sad. Not dogging Oberto. Oberto does some things well. The things that the typical 4th big men in the rotation should do. IE make open layups, set hard screens, tap balls out, box out.

Yes, it would be nice to see an upgrade at that position, but how does this happen? I don't see many answers. And at the expense of a scoring wing?

tav1
06-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Baring Spurs don't do some trades, I think they will go with a young player as the 6th bigman.
The plan could be to put this young big on the Mahinmi plan and let him one year in Austin. After Mahinmi's quite nice year, I guess Spurs FO see the D-League as a great way to develop players.

The best way to get a young player is the draft. I wouldn't be surprised to see Spurs drafting a big this year.

And some of the internationals might slide into the second round for contract reasons...what about the Georgian kid, Shermandidi at 57?

PDXSpursFan
06-09-2008, 10:58 AM

It just not happening. The Spurs can't afford to invest more than a single project next season. It was going to be Spitter; now most likely will be Mahinmi.

tav1
06-09-2008, 11:04 AM
It just not happening. The Spurs can't afford to invest more than a single project next season. It was going to be Spitter; now most likely will be Mahinmi.

Why not?

Bruno
06-09-2008, 12:59 PM
And some of the internationals might slide into the second round for contract reasons...what about the Georgian kid, Shermandidi at 57?

Shermadini is a huge mystery. I doubt he will be available at #57. He will pull out if he doesn't receive positive feedback about him being picked sooner in the draft.
When I look at the history, most bigmen who have been successful while being picked late are undersized PF (Millsap, Landry, Powe, Boozer...). I don't enough NCAA prospects to give you some names but I guess that there will be, as almost every year, some intriguing undersized PF available in the second round.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-09-2008, 01:21 PM

Mahinmi is gonna be in the rotation next year.
And I doubt Splitter will ever sign with us, so might as well pick another project.

tav1
06-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Shermadini is a huge mystery. I doubt he will be available at #57. He will pull out if he doesn't receive positive feedback about him being picked sooner in the draft.
When I look at the history, most bigmen who have been successful while being picked late are undersized PF (Millsap, Landry, Powe, Boozer...). I don't enough NCAA prospects to give you some names but I guess that there will be, as almost every year, some intriguing undersized PF available in the second round.

Most of the professional stat geeks are quick to point out that rebounding is a stat that has a predictable and high rate of transfer between levels and leagues--my guess is that this has much to do with how much "heart" factors into rebounding. I bring this up as one of the main reasons undersized 4s often workout.

In the last few days, I've been thinking about Benson in this regard. Maybe he is the 6th big--he's not an undersized 4--but he could pan out like one. If he has a heart to board and a decent enough frame, we could do worse.

Re: Shermandini. If he pulls out, will he play in a better league next season? He's not going to improve posting up a sea of midgits. And is his age legit?

spursfan98
06-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Mahinmi is gonna be in the rotation next year.
And I doubt Splitter will ever sign with us, so might as well pick another project.

Then that project will do the same thing that splitter did. forget the damn projects

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Then that project will do the same thing that splitter did. forget the damn projects

That doesn't make any sense.

spursfan98
06-09-2008, 01:37 PM
That doesn't make any sense.

Why get a project like splitter when he will probably take more money in europe too? plus, we need someone who can play this year

tav1
06-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Why get a project like splitter when he will probably take more money in europe too? plus, we need someone who can play this year

The Splitter situation is a reflection of a failing economy *and* Splitter being a franchise player in Europe. Most of the projects we're discussing are not at his level and will not be offered a Splitteresque contract, and this is especially not the case if they are drafted in the 2nd round--in that circumstance the Spurs can be much more competetive.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Why get a project like splitter when he will probably take more money in europe too?
Splitter was never a project. He was someone to come in and play this year.
Why do you assume that every project will go to Europe now? Just because one of our picks did?

plus, we need someone who can play this year
Que Mahinmi.

spursfan98
06-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Because Europe will most like offer more money for a rookie than what we will.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Because Europe will most like offer more money for a rookie than what we will.

Yea because European teams offer unproven projects 8x the rookie salary of the NBA.

Bruno
Re: Shermandini. If he pulls out, will he play in a better league next season? He's not going to improve posting up a sea of midgits. And is his age legit?

You ask me a lot, I don't have a clue about that.
If I were Spurs, I would only considered him at #57 if there isn't an interesting Euro player left.

spursfan98
They actually do. maybe not 8x but definatley more than 800k

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-09-2008, 01:48 PM
You're right. We should trade away all our picks forever because they'll just take more money in Europe.

pad300
06-09-2008, 01:51 PM
If the 6th big is going to be a project, he needn't come from the draft. A guy I would try to sign on the cheap would be Nick Fazekas. Drafted last year by the Mavs, he never got a good shot with them, and was cut as part of the Kidd trade. He got picked up by the clippers for the rest of the season and was really productive for them (he was also productive for the Mavs in the limited time he got)... I suspect that the 1st team that offers him a guaranteed contract gets him...As a project, he might be a valuable investment.

tav1
06-09-2008, 01:52 PM
You ask me a lot, I don't have a clue about that.
If I were Spurs, I would only considered him at #57 if there isn't an interesting Euro player left.

Sorry if I'm pestering you. I trust you and you have an ear to the ground against European soil.

I'll self-impose "a no more questions for Bruno" moritorium.

spursfan98
06-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Nope we should just draft americans unless the foreigner is a freakin superstar like scola

Bruno
06-09-2008, 01:58 PM
I'll self-impose "a no more questions for Bruno" moritorium.

:lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Nope we should just draft americans unless the foreigner is a freakin superstar like scola

That's stupid.
If the foreigner is that good, then he'll just sign a contract in Europe.
And Americans can sign in Europe too.

tav1
06-09-2008, 02:01 PM

Just the opposite, dude. We can draft whomever, so long as he is not already a Euro superstar. Those are the players to avoid. Everyone else, domestic or international, is in play.

tav1
10-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Props to those on this board who lobbied for Patrick O'Bryant as a low dollar reserve. Namely, Bruno, ChumpDumper and MarcusByrant. O'Bryant is playing especially well for the Celtics this preseason. He looks like a legit rotational big.

The jury is still out on Mahinmi, but maybe Watkins will stick in Austin. And there is always the possibility of Shavlik Randolph, if the Blazers cut him. ;)

Obstructed_View
10-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Watkins looks like what the Spurs need, so long as nobody throws him the ball and asks him to make a decision.

tav1
10-12-2008, 04:05 PM
To me, Watkins looks like a guy for the Toros. But not as a Spurs assignment. Maybe he can continue to improve this preseason...

O'Bryant looks like an NBA player.

Obstructed_View
10-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Watkins looks better to me against NBA competition than Mahinmi did against SL competition, but we have a lot more games to find out for sure.

td4mvp21
10-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Mourning is available??

TDMVPDPOY
10-12-2008, 05:51 PM
should give david harrison a fukn call, we need a fukn big body down low....who cares if he has problems, spurs can solve that shit

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-12-2008, 05:53 PM
should give david harrison a fukn call, we need a fukn big body down low....who cares if he has problems, spurs can solve that shit

you see now, the problem is that harrison now is with the timberwolves.

The Truth #6
10-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Even with Bonner still around, for some reason I think Tolliver has a better chance than Watkins of making the team. Tolliver seems to be the kind of player Pop likes, and by that I mean he has high intelligence and character. That could be enough to give him an edge over a similarly talented player, even if Watkins seems to be a better fit, at least in our eyes.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Even with Bonner still around, for some reason I think Tolliver has a better chance than Watkins of making the team. Tolliver seems to be the kind of player Pop likes, and by that I mean he has high intelligence and character. That could be enough to give him an edge over a similarly talented player, even if Watkins seems to be a better fit, at least in our eyes.

I feel the same way. IMO, for there to be any chance of Watkins making the team, Bonner must be gone.

xtremesteven33
10-12-2008, 07:00 PM
1. Alonzo Mourning
2. Dikeme Mutombo

2 Bigs i would love to have right now.....

Obstructed_View
10-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Mourning is available??

I don't think so; check the date on the post. This thread's been going on for a while.

xtremesteven33
10-12-2008, 07:10 PM
I don't think so; check the date on the post. This thread's been going on for a while.

Mourning is not signed yet, neither is Mutombo.....

both teams dont want to go over luxury tax.

I would trade Bonner and Mahimni for either on of those players. We can always draft another Big in the next draft.

Obstructed_View
10-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Wait, I'm confused: If they aren't signed, why trade for them?

xtremesteven33
10-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Wait, I'm confused: If they aren't signed, why trade for them?

so we wont go over the luxury tax signing them and keeping bonner and another big.

tlongII
10-12-2008, 07:45 PM
Deke and Zo are washed up. They wouldn't help you at all.

tav1
10-13-2008, 10:31 AM
There is the remote chance that there is an unexpected roster cut that could appeal to the Spurs on a couple 10 day trials. Steven Hill, for example.

Even more remotely, there are players like Fesenko from Utah. He looks like a solid player that should stay on their roster, except that he and Sloan do not get along. Maybe Sloan flies off the handle and makes an example of him. If the Pistons make a roster move, Cheikh Samb might be a casualty. He'd be worth a year in Austin and he might develop better in the Spurs program than with the Mad Ants. There are others, no doubt. I'm not hoping for anyone in particular, I'm just saying the Spurs can be patient and see what happens in their own camp and throughout the league.

In short, if no one clearly establishes himself in camp, there is no harm in the Spurs rolling with 14.

xtremesteven33
10-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Deke and Zo are washed up. They wouldn't help you at all.

They couldnt contribute 20-25 minutes a game?

all we ask them to do is man the paint and put a body on someone. They are arguablly two of the best shot blocking defensive players of this generation.

Obstructed_View
10-13-2008, 10:51 AM
It'd be cool if teams could make traning camp trades. It'd give Tolliver and Green some value.

tav1
10-13-2008, 11:00 AM
They couldnt contribute 20-25 minutes a game?

all we ask them to do is man the paint and put a body on someone. They are arguablly two of the best shot blocking defensive players of this generation.

Where would they get 20-25 minutes a game?

I think it's smarter for the Spurs to invest in a guy who will play exclusively in Austin.

tav1
10-13-2008, 11:06 AM
It'd be cool if teams could make traning camp trades. It'd give Tolliver and Green some value.

Next CBA, perhaps.

I'd love for D-League teams to have the ability to "franchise" a single player for entire season--a player like Jeremy Richardson. Said player would have to agree, but could be payed well above standard scale. This would be great for a team like the Spurs because they'd have the ability to use their last 1-3 roster spots on players marked for Austin, and the Toros could also draft or sign a player to lock in for the year.

xtremesteven33
10-13-2008, 11:10 AM
Where would they get 20-25 minutes a game?

I think it's smarter for the Spurs to invest in a guy who will play exclusively in Austin.

are you kidding me???

id take Zo or Zeke anyday and sign them to a one year contract to guard some of the West's bigs this year. Odom,Bynum,Chandler,Yao,Shaq.....

Time has proved time and time again. Veterans wins championships...not rookies..

polandprzem
10-13-2008, 11:16 AM
are you kidding me???

id take Zo or Zeke anyday and sign them to a one year contract to guard some of the West's bigs this year. Odom,Bynum,Chandler,Yao,Shaq.....

Hmm, as far as I know he was not that big when he was playing ...

Obstructed_View
10-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Hmm, as far as I know he was not that big when he was playing ...

He's probably looking for a job, though. I'd be worried he'd break Bowen's legs.

tav1
10-13-2008, 11:50 AM
are you kidding me???

Time has proved time and time again. Veterans wins championships...not rookies..

No, I'm not kidding.

I'd prefer a project big to another vet that won't play.

I'd rather see Mahinmi get 10 minutes a game than Mutumbo. Other than that, the Spurs big rotation is more or less in place. The only questions are can they find minutes for Mahinmi and which brick laying PF will Pop trot out, Bonner or Tolliver?

HarlemHeat37
10-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Zo is pretty much guaranteed to join thee Heat by mid-season..at least that's what I've been hearing from Heat fans for a while..

I. Hustle
10-13-2008, 12:23 PM
http://www.sudan.net/graphic/news/people/manute_bol_basketball.jpg Is he still available?

xtremesteven33
10-13-2008, 12:38 PM
No, I'm not kidding.

I'd prefer a project big to another vet that won't play.

I'd rather see Mahinmi get 10 minutes a game than Mutumbo. Other than that, the Spurs big rotation is more or less in place. The only questions are can they find minutes for Mahinmi and which brick laying PF will Pop trot out, Bonner or Tolliver?

Id rather try and drain out whatever is left of Zo or Zeke and draft another Big next year.

These next two years is all we have left before we can sign another BIG FA in 2010. Lets get a vet big and not a unproven big

Obstructed_View
10-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Please call him Deke. In case you missed the joke, there are two Zekes, neither of whom are bigs.

Samr
10-13-2008, 12:42 PM
I want Rod Benson just for his blog (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Too-much-Rod-Benson-The-Parker-brothers-22-000?urn=nba,112883). And the fact that he averages more rebounds per minute than any pro other than Dwight Howard. (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Too-much-Rod-Benson-The-Athlete-Blogger-conundr?urn=nba,103231)

xtremesteven33
10-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Please call him Deke. In case you missed the joke, there are two Zekes, neither of whom are bigs.

ur right...my bad, DEKE

Obstructed_View
10-13-2008, 12:57 PM
ur right...my bad, DEKE

http://img.printfection.com/1/2619/4602041/4v5ea.jpg

xtremesteven33
10-13-2008, 01:00 PM
Deke played with NY??

haha

tav1
10-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Id rather try and drain out whatever is left of Zo or Zeke and draft another Big next year.

These next two years is all we have left before we can sign another BIG FA in 2010. Lets get a vet big and not a unproven big

If the Spurs wait until next year's second round to draft a big they'd fortunate to see him on the court in 2011-12, if he turns out to be any good. Splitter is locked into a contract, Gist is uncertain, Mahinmi might be a China Doll. They could do worse than try their hand at a project big now, even if it's Daryl Watkins or Steven Hill. There are other players--Richard Hendrix is playing well, but so is DeMarcus Nelson--who should make a roster but could be squeezed out. The big problem with not signing a player as the last Spur, is that the Toros can not protect against call-ups if their project big starts to show life.

Again, my thinking on this has been the emergence of Patrick O'Bryant as a possible rotation guy coupled with the good work San Antonio has done with Ian Mahinmi.

In all likelihood, such a player would be one and done. But if the Spurs get lucky and develop someone it would be much better for the franchise than watching Mutumbo snail around in practice for part of a season.

And besides, the Spurs don't have the finances to sign a quality free agent big. They're gonna have to find a basement bargain.