06-07-2008, 05:39 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/novica_velickovic.jpg

Full Name: Novica Velickovic
Position: Forward
Height/Weight: 6-9 /
Birthdate: October 5, 1986
High School:
Team: Partizan Belgrade

NBA (http://www.nba.com/draft2008/profiles/NovicaVelickovic.html)
NBADraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/novicavelickovic.html)
DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Novica-Velickovic-5141/)

Mr. Body
06-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Wha -?

This is who we're drafting, isn't it?

admiralsnackbar
03-14-2011, 04:38 AM
Any word from our European correspondents on Velickovic's development? His rebounding and shooting % seem promising, and his DX profile has always painted an intriguing picture of a smart combo-forward, yet his MPG appear to have stalled around 12. What gives?

temujin
03-14-2011, 08:38 AM
1) Velickovic is not playing for Partizan, but for Madrid.

2) He has mightily regressed since 2009 to the point of irrelevance.

3) If Ettore Messina is not playing him (the guy has little interest in playing any defense), he has zero chance to be recruited by Pop.

4) Othen than the points above, excellent thread.

Penya
03-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Ettore Messina resigned last week.

Velikovic played pretty well with Serbia last summer in the WC and the first month with Real last season... We'll see if he improves his numbers now without the italian coach.

ohmwrecker
03-14-2011, 08:51 AM
Unfortunately, Euros make for a largely disappointing group of NBA players. Even American players who play in Europe seem better equipped for NBA success.

temujin
03-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Unfortunately, Euros make for a largely disappointing group of NBA players. Even American players who play in Europe seem better equipped for NBA success.

Seriously?
Any numbers, incidentally?

temujin
03-14-2011, 12:27 PM
Ettore Messina resigned last week.

Velikovic played pretty well with Serbia last summer in the WC and the first month with Real last season... We'll see if he improves his numbers now without the italian coach.

Yes, Messina finally resigned. Velickovic might improve his numbers, but in my opinion Messina is the most Pop-like of the Euro coaches, so no Velickovic thanks.

Rather, Ian Vesely of Partizan or Milan Macvan of Maccabi.

admiralsnackbar
03-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Hey, Temujin. If Messina is indeed as obsessed with D as Pop, Velickovic's defense wasn't so bad that he couldn't get minutes, or if it was, he must have brought something worthwhile to compensate... otherwise he would have been benched or traded, no? What would you say it is that he brings?

Also, in your opinion, what about his game was it that regressed?

And just to get a feel for what kind of talent was taking his minutes, who was/is Velickovic playing behind at PF and SF in Madrid?

I appreciate it's probably more ink than you're willing to spill for a scrub, but any specifics you care to share would be interesting (to me, at least).

Solid D
03-14-2011, 01:25 PM

Not a shared opinion.

BanditHiro
03-14-2011, 03:16 PM
he looks to much like rasho nesterovic

wontstartdumbthreads
03-14-2011, 03:20 PM
he looks to much like rasho nesterovic

Rasho took the Spurs to the promised land in 2005.
Sign him I say.

jay_shs
03-14-2011, 03:56 PM
oh lordy, not another eurotrash.

temujin
03-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Hey, Temujin. If Messina is indeed as obsessed with D as Pop, Velickovic's defense wasn't so bad that he couldn't get minutes, or if it was, he must have brought something worthwhile to compensate... otherwise he would have been benched or traded, no? What would you say it is that he brings?

Velickovic WAS OK in many aspects, and he did play an OK FIBA WC, but this year he was quite bad. Now, Madrid had a lot of problems and it's had to judge a player in that situation. The fact that he wa really at the end of Messina's doghouse hints at possible problems with the coach. Can't be sure about that.

Also, in your opinion, what about his game was it that regressed?

Long range non existent. Questionable defense.

And just to get a feel for what kind of talent was taking his minutes, who was/is Velickovic playing behind at PF and SF in Madrid?

Tomic Garba, Suarez, Mirotic.

I appreciate it's probably more ink than you're willing to spill for a scrub, but any specifics you care to share would be interesting (to me, at least).

Vesely is younger, longer and very very promising. He is entering the draft.
My bet would be on Milan Macvan with a econd round: 6.8, bulky, strong, can pass, can rebound, can shoot, very sound fundamentals, high bb IQ.
He's a 89, so still young. He plays the 4, but could turn out to be a 3, if he improves his range.
He should probably spend another year or two in Europe.

ohmwrecker
03-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Seriously?
Any numbers, incidentally?

No, just perception. It's not really that outrageous of an assertion tbh.

Not a shared opinion.

Well . . . outside of Dirk Nowitzki and Manu Ginobili there are really no "Euro" stars in the NBA and really only a handful of solid players. I'm not trying to say that there aren't any good players in Europe, but whatever is involved in developing them as NBA successes is not being fully utilized, or applied.

jag
03-15-2011, 01:05 PM

really?

The Truth #6
03-15-2011, 02:15 PM
There are plenty of "Euro" players who make solid role players. I don't get the sense that the "Euro" league tries to mold players into superstars, as team play seems to be the priority, but that's just my perception.

Solid D
03-15-2011, 02:50 PM
No, just perception. It's not really that outrageous of an assertion tbh.

Well . . . outside of Dirk Nowitzki and Manu Ginobili there are really no "Euro" stars in the NBA and really only a handful of solid players. I'm not trying to say that there aren't any good players in Europe, but whatever is involved in developing them as NBA successes is not being fully utilized, or applied.

Of those European, or international players who have played/would have played in the European leagues, here are some other "solid players" who are active right now:

Paul Gasol
Tony Parker
Luol Deng
Hedo Turkoglu
Andrei Kirilenko
Thabo Sefolosha
Serbe Ibaka
Luis Scola
Chris Kaman
Marc Gasol
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Mehmet Okur
Nick Batum
Boris Diaw
Andrea Bargnani
Danilo Gallinari
Andris Biedrins
Mickael Pietrus
Omri Casspi
Roddy Beaubois

plus, I'd take Goran Dragic in a New York minute on my team, as well as:
Ronny Turiaf
Nenad Krstic
Jose Calderon
Marcin Gortat
DeSegana Diop
Darko Milicic
Rudy Fernandez
J J Barea

and many more (not even including Yao Ming or Fabricio Oberto) ...

admiralsnackbar
03-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Despite playing for Germany thanks to having great grandparents from there (!), Kaman is all-Amurcan, born and raised.

Solid D
03-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Despite playing for Germany thanks to having great grandparents from there (!), Kaman is all-Amurcan, born and raised.

Very true. Dual citizenship. Played for German NT but doesn't even speak German. He shouldn't be on the list.

Bruno
03-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Velickovc is a nice player for the Europe. He struggled to fit in Messina's system but he has the talent to rebound. I don't see him able to fit in the NBA with his lack of range and physical qualities.

ohmwrecker
03-15-2011, 09:17 PM
Of those European, or international players who have played/would have played in the European leagues, here are some other "solid players" who are active right now:

Paul Gasol
Tony Parker
Luol Deng
Hedo Turkoglu
Andrei Kirilenko
Thabo Sefolosha
Serbe Ibaka
Luis Scola
Chris Kaman
Marc Gasol
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Mehmet Okur
Nick Batum
Boris Diaw
Andrea Bargnani
Danilo Gallinari
Andris Biedrins
Mickael Pietrus
Omri Casspi
Roddy Beaubois

plus, I'd take Goran Dragic in a New York minute on my team, as well as:
Ronny Turiaf
Nenad Krstic
Jose Calderon
Marcin Gortat
DeSegana Diop
Darko Milicic
Rudy Fernandez
J J Barea

and many more (not even including Yao Ming or Fabricio Oberto) ...

I agree with those guys being solid players, but a lot of them have performed under expectation or have been disappointing (Biedrins, Kirilenko, Pietrus, Turkoglu . . . etc.) I'm not saying that good Euro players can't succeed in the NBA, or that it won't become a more dominant segment of the NBA at some point, but, as it currently stands, the NCAA does a better job preparing players for NBA success. It makes complete sense. I don't even know if that is a goal for Euro coaches or trainers.

Chris Kaman is not a "Euro". He was born in Michigan and went straight from college to the NBA.

BackHome
03-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Vesely is younger, longer and very very promising. He is entering the draft.
My bet would be on Milan Macvan with a econd round: 6.8, bulky, strong, can pass, can rebound, can shoot, very sound fundamentals, high bb IQ.
He's a 89, so still young. He plays the 4, but could turn out to be a 3, if he improves his range.
He should probably spend another year or two in Europe.

You can compare Milan game to Blairs so no way in hell can Milan play the 3.

Russ
03-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Can't we at least crash and burn disastrously in the playoffs before we get to this? :):flag: