PDA

View Full Version : Malik, Good and Bad.

2centsworth
01-29-2005, 10:11 AM
Good:

1. He is a very good rebounder, especially on offense. In big games Malik seems to come up with crucial offensive rebounds.

2. He's a good guy.

3. He seems to have a desire to be real good.

Bad:

1. Bad hands. He has trouble catching the ball or holding on to it once he has it. He should practice catching all summer long. If he's already practiced then it's hopeless.

2. Turnover prone.

3. Shoots too much. I think he leads the team in shots per minute.

Overall, the perception is that he is overpaid with little room for improvement. He's trade bait, and at best the 10th guy off the bench. Not to say things can't change, but he hasn't shown much improvement.

usckk
01-29-2005, 10:33 AM
Trust me. Not a single team in the NBA will trade for Rose, especially his horrible contract. If Isiah Thomas won't trade for him, that says something because every player he has on the team have bad contracts. Rose used to be good, but I don't know why he's starting to suck.

whottt
01-29-2005, 10:55 AM
He sucks because he's not getting enough minutes and he's trying too hard to make something happen in limited playing time.

Malik's mistakes are 100% due to trying to do to much or getting down on himself for a bad play.

I suppose that's why his play doesn't bother me as much as it would if he was just plain sucking and not trying.

2centsworth
01-29-2005, 11:32 AM
I suppose that's why his play doesn't bother me as much as it would if he was just plain sucking and not trying.

very good point. I wish he would stick to being a dennis rodman type player with a great personality.

SequSpur
01-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Malik would start for any other team in the Eastern Conference

:lol

boutons
01-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Malik's 30 years old, been playing bball a LONG time, amateur and pro.

If he still has bad hands at this point, there's isn't much hope.

About his shooting too much, he's actually a pretty good jump shooter recently (although he doesn't jump straight up and hang, he jumps up while rotating into a forward lean. With all the video support, you'd think these guys would work on their mechanics), and I rather have him take an open jump shot for a score or off. RB, rather than, shudder, pass the ball for a TO.

Like Sean and Tony M, all I expect out of Malik is hustle, rebounding furiously on both ends, take care of the ball, STLs, and watch the PFs. The only scoring expected is putbacks.

BigVee
01-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Malik would start for any other team in the Eastern Conference

:lol
Who would he replace in Detroit's line-up? Wallace, Wallace, RIP, Prince, Billups??

2centsworth
01-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Team's in the East Malik could help make a playoff run:

1. Philly
2. Orlando
3. Heat
4. Boston

sa_butta
01-29-2005, 04:24 PM
He sucks because he's not getting enough minutes and he's trying too hard to make something happen in limited playing time.

Malik's mistakes are 100% due to trying to do to much or getting down on himself for a bad play.

I totally agree I think he feels he has something to prove so he tries to do
too much and really hurts the team sometimes. But I think if Pop gave him some more time he could be really productive. I mean the guy can draw fouls and grab boards like crazy. Hes a hustler and I like him off the bench.

Spurgal
01-29-2005, 05:33 PM
There's enough threads open on Malik already... :rolleyes

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-29-2005, 05:33 PM
He's short for a power forward. He gets trapped under the basket often I've noticed, and he's not great at passing out of that so he tends to eat a lot of leather trying to force his shot up.

But he hustles, he positions well and he's not afraid to bang, those are his biggest strengths I'd say.

2centsworth
01-29-2005, 05:38 PM
There's enough threads open on Malik already...

This one happens to be more somewhat more positive, because the guy does have positives to his game.

Spurgal
01-29-2005, 05:40 PM
This one happens to be more somewhat more positive, because the guy does have positives to his game.

In that case thanks for the positive thread on Malik... ;)