PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Budenholzer Still a Spurs Employee, Splitter Won't Be

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-07-2008, 08:35 PM
June 07, 2008
Jeff McDonald: Budenholzer still a Spurs employee, Splitter won't be

Two pieces of Spurs news today ...

1) Now that the Suns have named Terry Porter their new head coach, one of his former coaches in San Antonio gets to stay put. Mike Budenholzer, a 12-year veteran of the Spurs' bench as an assistant coach, interviewed for the job Porter eventually won Saturday.

Porter's ascension to the head-coaching throne in Phoenix means Budenholzer will be back as Gregg Popovich's lead assistant. He didn't seem to broken up about Steve Kerr's decision to go with Porter, his former teammate with the Spurs.

"I'm very happy to stay here," Budenholzer said Saturday. "I couldn't lose. I was in a win-win situation."

Ever the gracious soul, Budenholzer wished Porter success in his new endeavor -- though, noting the Western Conference rivalry between the Suns and Spurs, not too much success.

"I think Terry was a great hire," Budenholzer said. "Hopefully, he'll do a good job -- just not too good a job."

2) Spurs general manager R.C. Buford acknowledged that Tiago Splitter has indeed informed the team that he won't be coming to San Antonio next season. Splitter, a first-round draft pick a year ago, has instead decided to sign an extension with Tau Ceramica that would keep him in the Spanish League through 2012.

This would seem to make acquiring a power forward a priority for the Spurs this offseason. It would also seem to make Kurt Thomas, who is due to become a free agent July 1, an even more valuable commodity.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/06/jeff_mcdonald_b_15.html

ducks
06-07-2008, 08:37 PM
no shit forum

picnroll
06-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Who told McDonald about Splitter?

timvp
06-07-2008, 08:47 PM
This would seem to make acquiring a power forward a priority for the Spurs this offseason.That's a weird line. Duncan, Oberto and Mahinmi can all player power forward. Thomas is the only one who has to play center ... and even he can buy minutes at power forward against slower teams. And then there is always Bonner or the option of bringing Horry back for a 3523rd season.

Either McDonald just made up that line or the Spurs aren't too high on their bigs. I'm leaning toward the former.

The Spurs need some sort of bigman but a swingman is much more of a priority. A bigman is about equal to the need to get a backup point.

Mr. Body
06-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Looking around there's barely any PFs of value available either via FA or the draft.

completely deck
06-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Looking around there's barely any PFs of value available either via FA or the draft.

Trades :downspin:

SenorSpur
06-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Their first priority had better be acquiring and drafting a swingman.

tav1
06-07-2008, 09:09 PM
That's a weird line. Duncan, Oberto and Mahinmi can all player power forward. Thomas is the only one who has to play center ... and even he can buy minutes at power forward against slower teams. And then there is always Bonner or the option of bringing Horry back for a 3523rd season.

Either McDonald just made up that line or the Spurs aren't too high on their bigs. I'm leaning toward the former.

The Spurs need some sort of bigman but a swingman is much more of a priority. A bigman is about equal to the need to get a backup point.

McDonald hasn't shown himself a great mind this past year--I'd bet the mortgage that it's just a reflection of his basketball acumen, or lack thereof. There is no way the Spurs are not thinking about wing and back up point as their high priorities.

A.H 21-50
06-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Their first priority had better be acquiring and drafting a swingman.

the wing is their top priority as they said after the loss against LA but at the time they tought splitter may come imo and now they have to make some adujstements inside also

so with the draft and the fa you can do something to solve the two problems ? but how we'll see

draft a swingman who can provide quality minutes and sign someone inside or draft a big man ..... too many options here

Marcus Bryant
06-07-2008, 09:27 PM
#26 Bill Walker
#45 Sonny Weems or Quan Prowell

MLE JR Smith
LLE Javtokas or Dixon or Dickau

S&T Bonner for Matt Barnes

Starters
1 Parker
2 Smith
3 Bowen
4 Duncan
5 Thomas

Bench
1 Dickau or Dixon
2 Ginobili
2 Barry
2/3 Walker
3 Barnes
4 Mahinmi
4/5 Javtokas or Horry
5 Oberto

IR
1 Vaughn
2/3 Weems or Prowell or Sanikidze
4 Horry or bigman project

Yeah, an 8 man bench. Don't tell Stern.

A.H 21-50
06-07-2008, 09:32 PM
#26 Bill Walker

MLE JR Smith

Starters
1 Parker
2 Smith
3 Bowen
4 Duncan
5 Thomas

Bench
1 Dickau or Dixon
2 Ginobili
2 Barry
2/3 Walker
3 Barnes
4 Mahinmi
4/5 Javtokas or Horry
5 Oberto

IR
1 Vaughn

go with dorsey with the 45th pick if he stills there and no javtokas and it will be almost perfect
weems looks good too , the option of smith isn't bad or the dream of artest if he opts out

tav1
06-07-2008, 09:32 PM
the wing is their top priority as they said after the loss against LA but at the time they tought splitter may come imo and now they have to make some adujstements inside also

so with the draft and the fa you can do something to solve the two problems ? but how we'll see

draft a swingman who can provide quality minutes and sign someone inside or draft a big man ..... too many options here

Theoretically, the Spurs might be convinced that a couple of players they like at wing are gettable by splitting the MLE and so they'll draft a big in the first.

Maybe a combination of less attractive/known (to fans) guys like Azubuike and Ariza could be had at that price (2 years, 3 million per; it's a buyer's market) . If the Spurs are happy with those guys and Udoka then they draft a big in the first and a point or swing (Casspi, Lee) in the second.

It's not what I'm expecting, but Azubuike and Ariza are both young (24 and 22) and it's not much different than drafting a rookie. Their learning curve into the league is non-existant and their curve into the Spurs system would be small than a rookies. You count on them, in other words.

If they draft a big, he plays for Austin next year.

tav1
06-07-2008, 09:35 PM
#26 Bill Walker

MLE JR Smith

Starters
1 Parker
2 Smith
3 Bowen
4 Duncan
5 Thomas

Bench
1 Dickau or Dixon
2 Ginobili
2 Barry
2/3 Walker
3 Barnes
4 Mahinmi
4/5 Javtokas or Horry
5 Oberto

IR
1 Vaughn

I like these ideas, but I don't think Walker is available at 26 and I can't see a Bonner for Barnes sign and trade. Juan Dixon for the LLE is a good thought.

Marcus Bryant
06-07-2008, 09:38 PM
How many swingmen are the Warriors going to carry next season?

Also, all you have to tell Nellie is he's a 4 who can shoot the 3 and he's down.

ChumpDumper
06-07-2008, 09:39 PM
It's true that even if we are just talking about replacing Horry with Ian on the regular roster, that is a pretty full big lineup. Considering this year's postmortem emphasizes an injury to an oft-injured perimeter scorer, I'm inclined to think shoring up that position might be more of a priority.

Mr. Body
06-07-2008, 09:40 PM
#26 Bill Walker

MLE JR Smith

Starters
1 Parker
2 Smith
3 Bowen
4 Duncan
5 Thomas

Bench
1 Dickau or Dixon
2 Ginobili
2 Barry
2/3 Walker
3 Barnes
4 Mahinmi
4/5 Javtokas or Horry
5 Oberto

IR
1 Vaughn

The only thing you listed likely to work is Bonner for Barnes.

Marcus Bryant
06-07-2008, 10:20 PM
The only thing you listed likely to work is Bonner for Barnes.

Who will pay Smith more?

Who will give Dixon or Dickau more than the LLE?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Marcus, you forgot Udoka.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Terry Porter as Phoenix head coach? :lmao

Steve Kerr really is still on the Spurs payroll. Trading for Shaq, and now Porter... :rollin

T Park
06-07-2008, 11:40 PM
IMO Porter is a good coach.

The best of the coaches available IMO.