PDA

View Full Version : More on Mayweather-UFC; Dana White statement

Evan
06-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Dana White, who is in England for today's UFC pay-per-view, spoke to Setanta Sports is being quoted as saying that UFC is 'due to have an all star caliber boxer make the jump to mma to help legitimize the sport'.

Also, pwinsider has since acknowledged that there are rumors of Mayweather signing.

This all seems to add up with our exclusive report from this morning about Mayweather being the big announcement on Thursday.

(Thanks to Lee for sending us the quote from Dana)

http://www.wrestlingherald.com/headlines.php?subaction=showfull&id=1212871181&archive=&start_from=&ucat=8&

Evan
06-07-2008, 10:02 PM
And note that Floyd "retired" yesterday.

dbreiden83080
06-07-2008, 11:17 PM
LOL, so Floyd may have turned down a huge money rematch with Oscar so he could jump to MMA, get taken down and submitted in 20 seconds, good job Floyd. I doubt this is true though, Floyd can't be this stupid.

dbreiden83080
06-07-2008, 11:19 PM
saying that UFC is 'due to have an all star caliber boxer make the jump to mma to help legitimize the sport'.

That really does not sound like something Dana would say. He doesn't need Floyd for anything.

dallaskd
06-07-2008, 11:21 PM
That really does not sound like something Dana would say. He doesn't need Floyd for anything.

Same I dont think Dana wants or needs help from anyone.

dallaskd
06-07-2008, 11:23 PM
i do really hopes this happens and floyd does well in mma. it will take tons of years of training but this would be HUGE for mma if a boxing star this big to make the jump.

floyd being the face of mma is ALOT better than kimbo.

dbreiden83080
06-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Same I dont think Dana wants or needs help from anyone.

Plus it would be a freak show type deal with Floyd. Brock has a shot to have succes because of his wrestling background and he is a physical beast of an athlete. He signs Floyd, all he gets is maybe 1 or 2 fights against total CANS with Zero takedowns that he can KO. What is the point of signing him, he can't compete at a high level in MMA, he has no shot.

dbreiden83080
06-07-2008, 11:28 PM
i do really hopes this happens and floyd does well in mma. it will take tons of years of training but this would be HUGE for mma if a boxing star this big to make the jump.

floyd being the face of mma is ALOT better than kimbo.

Years of training in MMA would not happen for Floyd. He does not have that kind of hunger to do it. He is 31, insanely Rich and lives a very celebrity lifestyle. He parties hard and spends shitloads of money in his downtime from boxing. Hard hours in the gym for 2 or 3 years of MMA training, i don't see it happening.

dallaskd
06-07-2008, 11:34 PM
IMO Floyd has just as good of opportunity to be a great mma fighter as Lesnar. Floyd is a world class boxer and IS a fighter. People say he has no ground game but hes not going to fight until after maybe over a year off MMA training. hes not going to fight fresh off the boat so let him train, then see what happens. with a average ground game he could be a good fighter, not great because he got into mma too late. but anyways i really hope this is true because it would HUGE for mma if Mayweather is successful. MMA has big name guys but it would be great for mayweather to be the poster child of the sport. and even Lesnar...they're ALL better than Kimbo. and i dont know if everything just sounded idiotic, im sorry, im high off my ass and im trying to stay up until 5 in the morning for the WVR fight.

dbreiden83080
06-07-2008, 11:38 PM
IMO Floyd has just as good of opportunity to be a great mma fighter as Lesnar. Floyd is a world class boxer and IS a fighter. People say he has no ground game but hes not going to fight until after maybe over a year off MMA training. hes not going to fight fresh off the boat so let him train, then see what happens.

I posted above, i don't see the hunger being there for Floyd. Brock is an animal in the GYM, he is all about hard work and he is very hungry to make it in MMA. Floyd is a star, and like i said he lives like a rockstar with his fame and money, Brock doesnt.

i dont know if everything just sounded idiotic, im sorry, im high off my ass and im trying to stay up until 5 in the morning for the WVR fight.

:lmao

Well enjoy the fight, i am half drunk myself.

Evan
06-07-2008, 11:50 PM
The number one difference between a boxer and a MMA fighter.....

Stance

A mma fighter has a wider stance to displace wight and help control take downs
A boxer has a tighter stance for powerful striking

Look at the feet between the two and its night and day. Also notice the angle their shoulders are at. MMA fighters have to stand at a position to withstand an attack at any angle but Floyd can strike with speed and power that rivals no other fighter in MMA this side of Chuck Liddell.

a boxer trying changing their stance after so long is like one of us learning how to walk on a tight rope sideways.

This, if true, will be incredibly difficult if he faces anyone with a ground game...which is MMA.

His cardio will be supreme but that doesn't matter a whole lot when someone will transition in and out of his guard at will.

Floyd's hands may not be able to handle 4oz gloves and could shatter in the first round of his first fight.

If this is true...which I am 50/50 on....I just don't know...

Floyd is a premier athlete but I can't see any C class 145 pounder needing more than 2 rounds to have him in slapping his hands on any various part of their body tapping out.

he will need a year of training minimum..he is 31 and so wealthy. Why would he bother to train with passion that will be needed?

Evan
06-07-2008, 11:50 PM
:lmao

Well enjoy the fight, i am half drunk myself.

Fuck dude...I am trashed......

lol

Evan
06-07-2008, 11:51 PM
and i dont know if everything just sounded idiotic, im sorry, im high off my ass and im trying to stay up until 5 in the morning for the WVR fight.

wait..isn't it at 3am?

Evan
06-07-2008, 11:55 PM
IMO Floyd has just as good of opportunity to be a great mma fighter as Lesnar. Floyd is a world class boxer and IS a fighter. People say he has no ground game but hes not going to fight until after maybe over a year off MMA training. hes not going to fight fresh off the boat so let him train, then see what happens. with a average ground game he could be a good fighter, not great because he got into mma too late. but anyways i really hope this is true because it would HUGE for mma if Mayweather is successful. MMA has big name guys but it would be great for mayweather to be the poster child of the sport. and even Lesnar...they're ALL better than Kimbo. and i dont know if everything just sounded idiotic, im sorry, im high off my ass and im trying to stay up until 5 in the morning for the WVR fight.

Actually this made sense....:toast

Don't forget Randy didn't start training MMA until 34. Yes he was an awesome wrestler but Floyd is an awesome striker.

Evan
06-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Years of training in MMA would not happen for Floyd. He does not have that kind of hunger to do it. He is 31, insanely Rich and lives a very celebrity lifestyle. He parties hard and spends shitloads of money in his downtime from boxing. Hard hours in the gym for 2 or 3 years of MMA training, i don't see it happening.

I agree with this as well.

Who knows...

dbreiden83080
06-07-2008, 11:56 PM
he will need a year of training minimum..he is 31 and so wealthy. Why would he bother to train with passion that will be needed?

Exactly, he won't. Also this guy changes his mind a lot. He has retired from boxing about 5 times already.

Evan
06-08-2008, 12:01 AM
Exactly, he won't. Also this guy changes his mind a lot. He has retired from boxing about 5 times already.

IF

IF

IF

He does sign with the UFC...I can't see him following through unless whoever is training him manages to inspire massive passion in him.

dallaskd
06-08-2008, 12:38 AM
IF

IF

IF

He does sign with the UFC...I can't see him following through unless whoever is training him manages to inspire massive passion in him.

or a bunch of people call him out. but for this to work...he HAS to sign with the UFC. no eliteXC. because if the premier boxer goes to mma you want him to sign with the best org and well know. crap half of the people on the street think UFC is a sport.

dbreiden83080
06-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Another thing about this is the $$$$$$

Mayweather is all about the money. No way he is fighting for the UFC, make maybe 1 mil a fight, when you add in PPV buys. He makes like 20 mil a fight, why would he take that huge a paycut for a sport he knows nothing about??

Evan
06-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Another thing about this is the $$$$$$

Mayweather is all about the money. No way he is fighting for the UFC, make maybe 1 mil a fight, when you add in PPV buys. He makes like 20 mil a fight, why would he take that huge a paycut for a sport he knows nothing about??

PPV percentage

Evan
06-08-2008, 04:03 PM
and it looks like he is going to get some equity in the company

atxrocker
06-08-2008, 04:14 PM
i hope floyd gets a broken arm on his first ufc fight. break that bitch in real good.

Evan
06-08-2008, 05:09 PM
i hope floyd gets a broken arm on his first ufc fight. break that bitch in real good.

passion like this is why this may work.

Avitus1
06-08-2008, 06:02 PM
I'd be fucking shocked if it happen. What do they mean by legitimize anyways? Didn't Brock Lesnar so that? :lol

dallaskd
06-08-2008, 06:11 PM

I think it will be better for MMA if he does well.

dbreiden83080
06-08-2008, 07:07 PM
and it looks like he is going to get some equity in the company

So this is for real, he is actually going to fight in MMA. This is stupid if you ask me and hurts the UFC, and MMA. Floyd is a clown, who won't be able to do a damn thing to anyone credible.

dbreiden83080
06-08-2008, 07:10 PM
I think it will be better for MMA if he does well.

I don't actually. If he does well, then people will say

"Look a boxer just walked in off the street and competed with those MMA guys. It must be easy" Dana will have to line him up against 2 or 3 total cans for him to look good, that is not my idea of good MMA.

dbreiden83080
06-08-2008, 07:11 PM
PPV percentage

I know but that is not going to give him 20 mil a fight right?? I thought Liddell had the biggest deal in the UFC and made like 17 mil last year. Is Dana giving Floyd a deal that is far beyond what Chuck has??

Evan
06-08-2008, 07:30 PM
I'd be fucking shocked if it happen. What do they mean by legitimize anyways? Didn't Brock Lesnar so that? :lol

Lesnar wrestled at Webster High School in Webster, South Dakota where he managed to have a 33-0 record in his senior year.[14] Lesnar later attended the University of Minnesota on a full wrestling scholarship for his junior and senior years of college; his roommate was fellow professional wrestler Shelton Benjamin who also served as Lesnar's assistant coach.[15] Lesnar won the 2000 NCAA wrestling championship as a heavyweight after placing second in 1999. Prior to joining the Minnesota Golden Gophers, Lesnar also wrestled at Bismarck State College in Bismarck, North Dakota.[2] Lesnar finished his amateur career as a two-time NJCAA All-American, two-time NCAA All-American, two-time Big Ten Champion, and the 2000 NCAA heavyweight champion with a record of 106-5 overall in four years of college.[16]

yeah he was in WWE but the dude was a NCAA champion...highly decorated.

I know but that is not going to give him 20 mil a fight right?? I thought Liddell had the biggest deal in the UFC and made like 17 mil last year. Is Dana giving Floyd a deal that is far beyond what Chuck has??

If this is all true it will be worth every penny.

The UFC is skimming off the top of several things...WWE with Lesnar and Boxing with Floyd. They are merging fan bases. The UFC will be able to sell tickets for obscene cost and may break every PPV record.

Also note there was rumors they tried to sign Ray Lewis.

I'm not sure if I believe it...lets just see what happens...who knows...

dallaskd
06-08-2008, 07:40 PM
If anyone could do it, its Dana or Cuban. But dana has been known to screw things up and i dont really want floyd in hdnet fights. so ufc or bust!

Evan
06-08-2008, 07:54 PM
If anyone could do it, its Dana or Cuban. But dana has been known to screw things up and i dont really want floyd in hdnet fights. so ufc or bust!

HDnet fights is no longer a fight league. Their now going for the ESPN of MMA angle. Which is sheer f-cking genius because now everyone else is doing the work for them.

They may one day have a card again but its unlikely.

djohn14
06-08-2008, 09:39 PM
This is from 411 mania/MMA and it says its a done deal that will net Floyd 200 million!

"When Floyd Mayweather announced his retirement from boxing on Friday it was only a matter of time before the UFC rumors came up. Now with Dana White promising a "huge announcement" on Thursday, rumors are speculating that Floyd Mayweather may have signed a deal in some capacity with the UFC. Popular gossip website MediaTakeOut.com is reporting that the UFC has reached a deal with Floyd Mayweather:

"MediaTakeOut.com has just caught word of an EARTH SHAKING rumor. According to a number of sources within the UFC, Floyd Mayweather is set to be the first big name boxer to sign on as a mixed martial arts fighter.

One UFC insider, who asked to remain nameless, told MediaTakeOut.com that the reported deal will net Floyd more than $200 million in cash and equity in the UFC. Word is that the deal will be announced at a press conference set for this Thursday"

Evan
06-08-2008, 09:46 PM
The more I think on it....I just don't believe it. I think its all BS.

Here's why...if the UFC gave him equity then they would have to open the books and everyone would know how much the UFC makes at every turn.

dallaskd
06-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Im keeping my fingers crossed. this would be huge for mma.

polandprzem
06-09-2008, 04:42 AM
Im keeping my fingers crossed. this would be huge for mma.

Huge?

Floyd is one of the best boxers in the history, and coming to UFC he would need some fights witn scrub fighters.
Now imagine him as a marketing product. If they will give him one of the top 15 fighter he will go down.
So eoither he will be a losing mascot or a decent (at best) mma fighter - which is not satisfactionary at all to him and his fans.

LEONARD
06-09-2008, 08:41 AM
I still can't see this happening...$200M? :lol That damn sure wouldn't be just to fight...

oligarchy
06-09-2008, 10:41 AM
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/6/9/548567/dana-white-denies-mayweath

Evan
06-09-2008, 10:50 AM
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/6/9/548567/dana-white-denies-mayweath

Could you please post that?

Link is blocked at work

IX_Equilibrium
06-09-2008, 11:12 AM
If it would happen, he'd get destroyed in less than a minute. Double leg takedown, side countrol, transition to full mount, and a barrage of punches to the face.

Pretty lackluster but seeing Floyd get embarrassed is a win for me.

LEONARD
06-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Dana White Denies Mayweather Rumor
00 by ChrisNelson on Jun 9, 2008 8:24 AM EDT

So says Carmichael Dave of Sacramento sports radio station KHTK 1140, who posted a text message from White on the Sherdog.net forums last night. When questioned by Dave about Floyd Mayweather, Jr.'s rumored move to the UFC, here's what the shiny headed one allegedly had to say:

Dana - LMFAO! Neeeeevver! I have been in london and just landed in NYC! If I was gonna pay 200 million (dollars), it would be to mixed martial artists who fight their fuckin' asses off, not a bunch of pussy boxers that don't fuckin' fight. And you can quote me on that.

posted here:
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/mayweather-not-danas-announcement-official-794759/

Who to believe, MediaTakeOut.com or Carmichael Dave? And if the text is legit, who's to say Dana's not flat out lying? I don't recall how much Brock Lesnar got paid for his first fight, but I'm sure it was a good deal more than experienced fighters on the same card were earning.

Evan
06-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Thanks dude

If it's not a TV deal or Floyd (which Dana has now denied both) I am absolutely guessless.

And remember its soemthing that sets the direction of the UFC for 5 years. So it has to be a TV deal.

djohn14
06-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Maybe there gonna hold a Grand Prix tourny like Pride did. I know they won't, and Dana already said he wouldnt, but that would be cool.

Evan
06-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Maybe there gonna hold a Grand Prix tourny like Pride did. I know they won't, and Dana already said he wouldnt, but that would be cool.

Eh I dunno…it kills matchups and forces fight cards. It worked in PRIDE since they had an endless supply of Japanese cans for their stars to KO and it wouldn't work here.

tsb2000
06-10-2008, 12:14 AM
I can't see Mayweather going to MMA and getting legitimately crushed by people like BJ Penn, when he can go to the WWE and make more money to not fight guys like Big Show at all...

LEONARD
06-10-2008, 11:44 AM
http://www.mmapayout.com/2008/06/more-details-on-danas-major.html

SAtoDallas
06-11-2008, 11:57 PM
Y'all are making me laugh that you actually believe Mayweather will fight in MMA. Everyone that follows boxing knows Mayweather hasn't taken a fight that he knows he can't win since about 2002. Boxing is better off with him retired and MMA is fine without him as well.

atxrocker
06-12-2008, 02:52 AM
Y'all are making me laugh that you actually believe Mayweather will fight in MMA. Everyone that follows boxing knows Mayweather hasn't taken a fight that he knows he can't win since about 2002. Boxing is better off with him retired and MMA is fine without him as well.

QFT

Evan
06-12-2008, 06:25 AM

Most people don't believe...its just fun wasting time BS-ing about it. Thats that forums are for.

SAtoDallas
06-16-2008, 04:24 PM
QFT

Bro, I'm old what the hell does that shit mean.

Evan
06-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Bro, I'm old what the hell does that shit mean.

Quit Fucking Talking

Just kidding

"Quoted For Truth"

Man it took me like a year to figure that out.

SAtoDallas
06-17-2008, 07:57 AM
Quit Fucking Talking

LAME

Just kidding

"Quoted For Truth"

Man it took me like a year to figure that out.

Evan
06-17-2008, 08:30 AM
you mean to type something SAtoDallas ?

djohn14
06-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Im sure yall know by now but UFC is having a fight July 19th to counter affliction...fight card..

Im sure a few more will be added

Cain Velasquez vesus Brandon Vera

Hermes Franca versus Frankie Edgar

James Irvin versus Anderson Silva at 205!!!

Evan
06-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Im sure yall know by now but UFC is having a fight July 19th to counter affliction...fight card..

Im sure a few more will be added

Cain Velasquez vesus Brandon Vera

Hermes Franca versus Frankie Edgar

James Irvin versus Anderson Silva at 205!!!

Don't mess with the Zohan:p:

djohn14
06-17-2008, 08:35 PM
correction that is Jake O' Brian instead of Vera, but Vera is still a possibility.

Evan
06-17-2008, 08:38 PM
correction that is Jake O' Brian instead of Vera, but Vera is still a possibility.

True. 100%.

This card will take a week to sort out.

The UFC pulled a grenade on Affliction.

dallaskd
06-26-2008, 04:49 PM
True. 100%.

This card will take a week to sort out.

The UFC pulled a grenade on Affliction.

Dana White is a genius. He did this to EliteXC too.